• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rhythm Girl from Rhythm Heaven- Ready to Beat the Beat?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
He didn't like that Nintendo wasn't turning out as many new memorable IP's. Yes, Rhythm Heaven is older (GBA era,) but it is still a newer franchise for a company like Nintendo. If you look at the roster there haven't been many franchises compared to the more abundant older franchises. Obviously this makes sense because there is more history with those characters and more time for them to establish themselves, but it doesn't mean only one character should represent the whole gamecube to now era. (Technically we have 3 franchises from this time period, but still the argument that we can't have more because wft is in doesn't really hold water.)

Unless you are just mentioning there are newer franchises, then yes there are. Not all of them seem that likely for playable representation though...
Ah, I see now... this is more of Nintendo's fault then (or their game creators). Nothing can really be done about this now though. I agree that Rhythm Heaven is one of the more notable series to emerge after Gamecube era, especially judging by its sales (which is higher than most that emerged after that period). I would say RH, along with Wii Fit, the Mii series, Xenoblade and possibly Pushmo are the biggest to emerge after the Gamecube era.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ah, I see now... this is more of Nintendo's fault then (or their game creators). Nothing can really be done about this now though. I agree that Rhythm Heaven is one of the more notable series to emerge after Gamecube era, especially judging by its sales (which is higher than most that emerged after that period). I would say RH, along with Wii Fit, the Mii series, Xenoblade and possibly Pushmo are the biggest to emerge after the Gamecube era.
Did you forget Golden Sun and Chibi Robo or did it they emerge before that era?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Did you forget Golden Sun and Chibi Robo or did it they emerge before that era?
I assume he meant after the Gamecube era ... Golden Sun and Chibi Robo were during those times.

At least that's what I assume, because I as well started thinking of any franchises he could have missed and couldn't think of any major ones. At most I considered Fossil Fighters but that didn't do particularly well, and I'm not sure about the numbers for Dillon's Rolling Western.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I assume he meant after the Gamecube era ... Golden Sun and Chibi Robo were during those times.

At least that's what I assume, because I as well started thinking of any franchises he could have missed and couldn't think of any major ones. At most I considered Fossil Fighters but that didn't do particularly well, and I'm not sure about the numbers for Dillon's Rolling Western.
Ah, you're right.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce

Rhythm Tengoku came out during the GCN era though.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman

Yep, that's what I meant. I also would have included Starfy along with GS and CR if I said during. I'm not including the Gamecube era since it is actually quite old now....2 gens ago. It is pretty much in the same position Nintendo 64 was for Brawl so it seems about right. Not to mention most things for Smash 4 seem to be focused on this or last gen (Wii, DS).

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yep, that's what I meant. I also would have included Starfy along with GS and CR if I said during. I'm not including the Gamecube era since it is actually quite old now....2 gens ago. It is pretty much in the same position Nintendo 64 was for Brawl so it seems about right. Not to mention most things for Smash 4 seem to be focused on this or last gen (Wii, DS).
The Wii/DS era was the first time a home console outsold its predecessor for Nintendo. This was the first time we really saw large growth in the company for a long time, and it is nice to see it get some love as well. Also The gamecube being 2 gens obsolete makes me feel old haha.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I genuinely hope so! Sales wise, at least in Japan it'd be a fantastic move from Nintendo, and it could even be a title they sell through eShop for the sake of cost. What makes me hesitant to think the series would continue is the fact Tsunku is the one in charge of the idea and the project, and there hasn't been any indication that we know of so far that he's interested. He seemed pretty pleased with the third one and with the result of improving the rhythm of kids.

Let's hope it becomes one of Nintendo's series and doesn't just fizzle out.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Rhythm Heaven 3DS/Wii U when
I genuinely hope so! Sales wise, at least in Japan it'd be a fantastic move from Nintendo, and it could even be a title they sell through eShop for the sake of cost. What makes me hesitant to think the series would continue is the fact Tsunku is the one in charge of the idea and the project, and there hasn't been any indication that we know of so far that he's interested. He seemed pretty pleased with the third one and with the result of improving the rhythm of kids.

Let's hope it becomes one of Nintendo's series and doesn't just fizzle out.
Well Didn't he just get done with Game & Wario? Or was he not involved with it this time? Plus would the 3ds or WiiU really add anything to the series other than be a new installment? Because I am fine with that, but it may come later down the line since the WiiU already has 2 major minigame-like collections and they probably want to release more top-priority games that will move units.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Well, would the 3DS Rhythm game be played like the DS (sideways), or normally with a 3D feature? Either way, I'd definitely buy it :dr^_^:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
In the meantime I'm hoping GBA games on the Wii U means the west can finally have a localized Rhythm Tengoku. Probably not going to happen, but it'd be nice.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Say, what do you all think Rhythm Girl's character page would look like on the Smash 4 website?
You mean pose/background color/moves shown in her picture lineup? Oh newcomers also get a special promotional image too... hmm...
Pose depends on what look they choose to be the default because it would share her boxart pose then. Color? Probably that Yellowy Orange color Rhythm Heaven is known for, and for the special art maybe have her holding a DS and on the screens render some smash characters in the style of rhythm heaven characters? idk. Each newcomer thus far has had their home stages revealed alongside them or before them so her pictures would probably feature it.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
So, super lanky, white skin, and big black dots for eyes?
Ahh the character designs have actually become more varied in the last game, but rhythm girl has kept the original art style (Characters now have whites to their eyes, wrinkles in their clothes like the reporter, more varied proportions, etc.) Game and Wario is actually done in a style very similar to rhythm heaven. It isn't exactly the same but it is close.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Ahh the character designs have actually become more varied in the last game, but rhythm girl has kept the original art style (Characters now have whites to their eyes, wrinkles in their clothes like the reporter, more varied proportions, etc.)
True, true. That ****** from the seal game is a good example.
I do like the look of the first two games too, though.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
So, super lanky, white skin, and big black dots for eyes?
Rhythm Heaven doesn't really have a set standard for character design, but there is a style that Fever had an inclination to use for human characters.

Lanky still, but with varied skin and regular eyes with no irises.
Lot of sameface syndrome though.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Rhythm Heaven doesn't really have a set standard for character design, but there is a style that Fever had an inclination to use for human characters.

Lanky still, but with varied skin and regular eyes with no irises.
Lot of sameface syndrome though.
That reminds me. Did you ever get that final recolor for her? If not, I'd definitely recommend one based off of the one on the very right.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That picture only reminds me how much I LOVE Rhythm Heaven Fever's character designs, humans or otherwise. (FLOCK BIRDS)

So simplistic yet distinct.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
You know, having 5 alternate costumes isn't mandatory *gives a death stare to Brawl Pikachu*.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
You know, having 5 alternate costumes isn't mandatory *gives a death stare to Brawl Pikachu*.
But don't you think they will try and improve on that in smash 4? The avatar/genderless characters are getting alternate costumes so it seems so hopefully we see more interesting recolors/costumes this time around. (But I do agree alt costumes that change the characters identity completely should be, for the most part, avoided.)

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Rhythm Heaven > Mario Party (imo)

Karate Joe > Rhythm Girl

Though I still support, She seems like an interesting character
Only thing I have against Karate Joe is the fact he can only represent his rhythm games compared to the entirety of rhythm heaven, but they could always let him borrow from the other rhythm games. It just depends on how they create his moveset I suppose.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd much prefer Miss Rhythm to Karate Joe personally.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I'd much prefer Miss Rhythm to Karate Joe personally.
No offense but I'd take Wrestler, Rhythm Girl or Marshal over Karate Joe. No offense to Karate Joe supporters but I feel those 3 represent RH a lot better (Marshal and Rhythm Girl moreso than Wrestler).

EDIT: Although frankly, like Hippopotasauce said I'd be fine with pretty much anybody at this point.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
No offense but I'd take Wrestler, Rhythm Girl or Marshal over Karate Joe. No offense to Karate Joe supporters but I feel those 3 represent RH a lot better (Marshal and Rhythm Girl moreso than Wrestler).

EDIT: Although frankly, like Hippopotasauce said I'd be fine with pretty much anybody at this point.
In his defense, Karate Joe is pretty popular for being in every game, one of the few characters who do so unlike Marshal and the wrestler. Marshal's appearance is based off of other characters so he does look pretty rhythm-heaven esque and if he reappears in the next game I could see him becoming a main stay.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
In his defense, Karate Joe is pretty popular for being in every game, one of the few characters who do so unlike Marshal and the wrestler. Marshal's appearance is based off of other characters so he does look pretty rhythm-heaven esque and if he reappears in the next game I could see him becoming a main stay.
Oh, I know, but something about the other 3 just screams RH more to me...it might be the artstyle and design of the other characters. Also, in terms of the RH series as a whole I just feel the series would be represented much better with either Rhythm Girl or Marshal. I can't see Wrestler and Karate Joe using music notes and minigame-inspired moves without it feeling...out of place. But this is just me. (This being said, no-one said RH had to be represented using minigames for inspiration anyways).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm coming clean, I'd like Miss Rhythm more than Rhythm Wrestler.

I'm sorry Golden.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Excuse me guys, but I just wanted to ask, what would be your takes on a trailer for "Miss Rhythm" (if she got revealed for SSB4?)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Any Rhythm Heaven character would need, imo, a reveal trailer in the same fashion as Wii Fit Trainers. Namely having characters performing things in a specific rhythm. Someone messes up and the sound effect for "Failure" sounds. Then in enters the character to show off good rhythm culminating in blowing them away.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think it'd be cool to see many iconic Nintendo franchises portrayed as rhythm heaven's rhythm games before she appears, similar to the mario kart/kirby air ride reference in Rosalina's trailer. However, it will probably be something unique compared to the other trailers.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Went ahead and made a Rhythm Monkey thread as, to me, he's the only viable RH rep without one so far.

More than anything, I'd love to head feedback from people here regarding the moveset I posted, particularly the rhythm gimmick.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Excuse me guys, but I just wanted to ask, what would be your takes on a trailer for "Miss Rhythm" (if she got revealed for SSB4?)
Mario's fighting some guys on the boxing ring stage and wins after a couple of seconds. Then the crowd begins to clap and cheer loudly, but gradually the clap turns into a metronome. Mario's all confused and suddenly Rhythm Girl jumps from the sidelines.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Mario's fighting some guys on the boxing ring stage and wins after a couple of seconds. Then the crowd begins to clap and cheer loudly, but gradually the clap turns into a metronome. Mario's all confused and suddenly Rhythm Girl jumps from the sidelines.
Something like the 'Fan Club' game from the DS, yes!

Top Bottom