• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RGV da BESS ~ WHGU 6 @ Kingsville = APR 23 !!!!

What day do you want our weekly UTB club gaming fests be?

• Monday

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 60 45.5%
  • Sunday

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

C 2the loud

Smash Cadet
hah we all thought you had tests.. my captain is almost perfect. you better watch out. ;] only thing that counters it is vashs ganon >.> you should have seen it me and vash were double bowser and beat brawly and fros double falco.

Also Vash has the best ness ever.

Broly

Smash Lord
Ok, brawly getting brawl back into my life. so a few requests/announcements for saturday.

1ST- pax/broly will win again. its too easy

2ND- gonz PLZZZZZZZ tell me ur getting downstairs room? its hard 4 everyone to get my *** upstairs. [except for Guero]

3RD- HERBY HATES ME, SO I WONT BE TALKING TO HIM. =[[[[[

4TH- id like to announce a Possible CREW BATTLE. RGV Vs. Brownsville. it be free, recorded.

B'ville- Pax, Vash, Me, Papi/Cloud/Msyds

RGV- Gonz, Shlike, Magik, Andilex.

yes no?

5TH- last but not least, DENNYS AFTERWARDS. WE NEED CREW PICS

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
yes alot of piks,
im so excited for sat
and im down for the crew bbattle,

plus murder is getting bak into brawl

COME TO WESLACO

C 2the loud

Smash Cadet
lol everyone wants pax as their partner ;)

i ll team with whoever can answer this question

Why dont orcas attack humans and great whites do?
possible answers?

Great Whites mistake the identity of people while orcas dont?
The mental food chart that orcas have?
Orcas are usually afraid of shallow water while great whites arent?

Idk i just like to guess. =]

C 2the loud

Smash Cadet
4TH- id like to announce a Possible CREW BATTLE. RGV Vs. Brownsville. it be free, recorded.

B'ville- Pax, Vash, Me, Papi/Cloud/Msyds

RGV- Gonz, Shlike, Magik, Andilex.
isnt this like an automatic win for us because

Pax can destroy them all
Vash can beat them all with any character.
Brawly can beat them all except Magik i think
and Msyds destroys Gonz so Brownsville ftw? =]

Esca

Smash Champion
lol everyone wants pax as their partner ;)

i ll team with whoever can answer this question

Why dont orcas attack humans and great whites do?
It has always intrigued me when two of the ocean's largest predators come into contact of each other. Given their global habitats, is there a likelihood of a great white meeting a killer whale. I have heard that near some coastal areas, they compete for seals and except for one filmed contact sequence in 2002, it is relatively rare.
Hypothetically, assuming both were in contact with each other, and were of similar size, age, and were alone, would they attack each other? Who would win?
The second question I would like to ask is why the great white shark is so feared when the bull (Zambezi) shark causes more injuries or deaths to humans in shallow water?

Regards,
Anil
Answer -
Hey Anil,

This is a good question. I will answer your first one now. They wouldnt attack eachother, they would simply just cross paths. But if for some odd reason they would fight, i would have to go with the Great White Shark, becuse they are known to go after anything if they are hungry. While the Killer Whale will find something on their diet. Also the Great White is more vicous, and could easily beat a alone killer whale the same size. But if the Killer Whale was in the regular pod, the Shrak would swim away almost instanly.

The Great White is feared more because they have a bigger range, meaning they will go for anybody in their path. When you say that the Bull Shark causes more injuries, i would have to go against you their, in my opion. Only because the Great White is more worldly know to kill, becuase it is natural for them to attack, but with a Bull shark, they will have the doubts first.

Thanks for the Question, and I Hoped this helped.

Hi again,

I have to disagree with you on the answer to my first question. You are right that the great white is more aggressive, but the superior intelligence of the killer whale (dolphin family) coupled with its advantages in length and weight, would be too much for a great white to tangle with. The killer whale would probably ram the shark's gills, causing it to suffocate! Even a large great white of 21 feet weighing 5000lbs against a fully grown male killer whale (21-30 feet) weighing about 8-12000lbs, wouldn't stand a chance.

I have another intriguing question for you. The megalodon, which is assumed extinct, was about 50 feet long based on jaw measurements. But since us humans and our underwater gear and cameras can only go to depths of about 200 feet approximately, with poor illumination, who is to say that there aren't larger predators we haven't been seen before? Perhaps the megalodon is a deep fish predator? Or perhaps another whale larger than the blue whale exists? My question to you is, what scientific proof do we have that the Megalodon does not exist below that maximum dive depth?

Best Regards,
Anil Kapila.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Pax... What's out teamname going to be?

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
so im working on getting alice to come to this, hopefully everything works out for them.

has everyone been advertising? what about those group of guys from batb? the guys that play as rob and g&w and there friends should try to make the tourney.

paco27291

Smash Rookie
jaja but those chicas have to be good looking, anyone can go pick up a hoodrat and get laid, oh and i am gonna advertise at Aeropostale!! ;) i used to work there and the manager said it be alright if i would leave some, i havent seen any in school though

paco27291

Smash Rookie
i know!! jajaja i started laughing when i saw that, but there they have a reason!! i would **** up someone that would have me in an aquarium and i wasnt free, out in the ocean the attacks are very very rare

Esca

Smash Champion
i know!! jajaja i started laughing when i saw that, but there they have a reason!! i would **** up someone that would have me in an aquarium and i wasnt free, out in the ocean the attacks are very very rare
Since 1985 a large proportion of the research I have undertaken has focused on killer whales. My Ph.D. research through Simon Fraser University, completed in 1994, focused on the foraging behavior and ecology of the mammal-eating transient killer whales, but I have also studied the behavior of fish-eating residents in Washington, British Columbia and Alaska, as well as the behavior of killer whales in Iceland, and some work with killer whales in Mexico and Hawaii. A list of publications and reports on this research (including pdf files) is below.

Current projects focus on the diving behavior of mammal-eating killer whales, movement patterns of mammal-eating killer whales, and a study of diet and behavioral cues of predation in fish-eating killer whales. This latter project was begun in 2002 in collaboration with Dr. Brad Hanson of the Northwest Fisheries Science Center and involves collecting fecal samples (for genetic analysis of diet) and prey remains left behind foraging whales. As part of the effort to examine diet and underwater behavior, with Greg Marshall and Dr. Mike Heithaus of the National Geographic Television Remote Imaging Program we deployed one Crittercam on a fish-eating "southern resident" killer whale (K25) in 2002, obtaining the first underwater video footage collected from a killer whale. Unfortunately the whale was not foraging while the camera was attached, but the video footage obtained (see above) does demonstrate that this technique should be useful to examine underwater feeding.

Publications and reports on killer whales

Books and book chapters

Killer whales of the world: natural history and conservation. Book by R.W. Baird published jointly by Colin Baxter Photography in Europe and Voyageur Press in North America in 2002, and reprinted as a softcover by Voyageur Press in 2006

The killer whale - foraging specializations and group hunting. A review chapter by R.W. Baird published in the book Cetacean Societies in 2000 by the University of Chicago Press. Download Adobe PDF copy

Peer-reviewed publications

Effects of age, sex and reproductive status on persistent organic pollutant concentrations in "Southern Resident" killer whales. Paper by M.M. Krahn, M.B. Hanson, G.S. Schorr, C.K. Emmons, D.G. Burrows, J.L. Bolton, R.W. Baird and G.M.Ylitalo, published in Marine Pollution Bulletin in 2009. Download Adobe PDF copy

Vulnerability of a killer whale social network to disease outbreaks. Paper by P.R. Guimaraes Jr., M.A. de Menezes, R.W. Baird, D. Lusseau, P. Guimaraes, and S.F. dos Reis, published in Physical Review E. in October 2007. Download Adobe PDF copy

Persistent organic pollutants and stable isotopes in biopsy samples (2004/2006) from Southern Resident killer whales. Paper by M.M. Krahn, M.B. Hanson, R.W. Baird, R.H. Boyer, D.G. Burrows, C.K. Emmons, J.K.B. Ford, L.L. Jones, D.P. Noren, P.S. Ross, G.S. Schorr, and T.K. Collier, published on-line in Marine Pollution Bulletin in October 2007. Download Adobe PDF copy

Killer whales in Hawaiian waters: information on population identity and feeding habits. Paper by R.W. Baird, D.J. McSweeney, C. Bane, J. Barlow, D.R. Salden, L.K. Antoine, R.G. LeDuc, and D.L. Webster, published in Pacific Science in 2006.Download Adobe PDF copy

Suspected surplus killing of harbor seal pups (Phoca vitulina) by killer whales (Orcinus orca). Paper by J.K. Gaydos, S. Raverty, R.W. Baird and R.W. Osborne, published in Northwestern Naturalist in 2005. Download Adobe PDF copy

Factors influencing the diving behaviour of fish-eating killer whales: sex differences and diel and interannual variation in diving rates. Paper by R.W. Baird, M.B. Hanson and L.M. Dill published in the Canadian Journal of Zoology in 2005. Download Adobe PDF copy

Low worldwide genetic diversity in the killer whale (Orcinus orca): implications for demographic history. Paper by A.R. Hoelzel, A. Natoli, M.E. Dahlheim, C. Olavarria, R.W. Baird and N.A. Black published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society of London in 2002. Download Adobe PDF copy

Social organization of mammal-eating killer whales: group stability and dispersal patterns. Paper by R.W. Baird and H. Whitehead published in the Canadian Journal of Zoology in 2000. Download Adobe PDF copy

Status of killer whales in Canada. Paper by R.W. Baird published in the Canadian Field-Naturalist in 2001. Download Adobe PDF copy

Birth of a "resident" killer whale off Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Note by P.J. Stacey and R.W. Baird, published in Marine Mammal Science in 1997. Download Adobe PDF copy

Ecological and social determinants of group size in transient killer whales. Paper by R.W. Baird and L.M. Dill published in Behavioral Ecology in 1996. Download Adobe PDF copy

Levels of organochlorine compounds, including PCDDs and PCDFs, in the blubber of cetaceans from the west coast of North America. Paper by W.M. Jarman and colleagues published in Marine Pollution Bulletin in 1996. Download Adobe PDF copy

Occurrence and behaviour of transient killer whales: seasonal and pod-specific variability, foraging behaviour and prey handling. Paper by R.W. Baird and L.M. Dill published in Canadian Journal of Zoology in 1995. Download Adobe PDF copy

Possible indirect interactions between transient and resident killer whales: implications for the evolution of foraging specializations in the genus Orcinus. Paper by R.W. Baird, P.A. Abrams and L.M. Dill published in Oecologia in 1992. Download Adobe PDF copy

A review of killer whale interactions with other marine mammals: predation to co-existence. Paper by T.A. Jefferson, P.J. Stacey and R.W. Baird published in Mammal Review in 1991. Download Adobe PDF copy

Observations on the reactions of sea lions, Zalophus californianus and Eumetopias jubatus, to killer whales, Orcinus orca, evidence of "prey" having a "search image" for predators. Paper by R.W. Baird and P.J. Stacey published in Canadian Field-Naturalist in 1989. Download Adobe PDF copy

Variation in saddle patch pigmentation in populations of killer whales (Orcinus orca) from British Columbia, Alaska, and Washington State. Paper by R.W. Baird and P.J. Stacey published in Canadian Journal of Zoology in 1988. Download Adobe PDF copy

Reports and conference presentations

Diet studies of "southern resident" killer whales: prey sampling and behavioral cues of predation". Report by R.W. Baird and M.B. Hanson to NOAA, 2004. Download Adobe PDF copy

Studies of foraging in “southern resident” killer whales during July 2002: dive depths, bursts in speed, and the use of a “Crittercam” system for examining sub-surface behavior. Report submitted in February 2003 to the National Marine Mammal Laboratory, Seattle, WA, by R.W. Baird, M.B. Hanson, E.E. Ashe, M.R. Heithaus and G.J. Marshall. Download PDF copy

Diving behaviour of killer whales. Abstract of a presentation by R.W. Baird, L.M. Dill and M.B. Hanson, to the World Marine Mammal Conference, held in Monaco in 1998.

Information on killer whale reactions to suction-cup tagging can also be found in an Abstract to a presentation at a workshop on "Methods for Assessing Behaviorial Impacts On Marine Mammals from Human Activities", held in Monaco in 1998.

Management of killer whale/boat interactions in Haro Strait. Abstract of a presentation authored by R.W. Baird, R. Otis and R.W. Osborne, from a workshop on "Whale Watching Research" held in Monaco in 1998.

Orca Survey field guide to transients of the Haro Strait area. Text from a catalogue authored by A.M. van Ginneken, D.K. Ellifrit and R.W. Baird, published by the Center for Whale Research, Friday Harbor, WA in 1998.

Foraging behaviour and ecology of transient killer whales. Abstract, Prologue, Epilogue and some appendices from the Ph.D. Thesis of R.W. Baird, completed in 1994. Most of the rest of the thesis has been published in journal papers, including the above-noted articles in Behavioral Ecology, Oecologia and Canadian Journal of Zoology.

Transient killer whale (Orcinus orca) harassment, predation, and "surplus killing" of marine birds in British Columbia Abstract of a conference presentation by P.J. Stacey, R.W. Baird and A.B. Hubbard-Morton, published in the Pacific Seabird Group Bulletin in 1990. Download Adobe PDF copy

Foraging and feeding behavior of transient killer whales. Article by R.W. Baird and P.J. Stacey published in Whalewatcher, the Journal of the American Cetacean Society, in 1988. Download Adobe PDF

For more information on this research write to: rwbaird (at) cascadiaresearch.org

Updated May 2009.

Photographs on this page (c) Robin W. Baird 2000. Use of photos only with permission of Robin W. Baird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom