• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rewarding and safe moves

Rat

Smash Lord
What is Samus' most rewarding move, in terms of potential damage and position?

Grab? Dair? Utilt? Dsmash? Whatever puts them off the edge? Whatever puts them on a platform?

What is Samus' safest move?

Shield? WDback? Ftilt? Pivot grab? The move that beats your opponents move? The move that will beat the move that your opponent attempts to beat?

Kochiha Ichihara

Smash Apprentice
Most rewarding move: in my opinion, it's somewhere between the Utilt and Nair; the grab is too risky to be able to be brilliantly rewarding.

Safest move: Ftilt. You usually get owned for doing it, but only AFTER you get it out.

Rat

Smash Lord
for reward you don't need to consider risk. What is the comebackest of comeback moves?

If you get punished after the Ftilt then the Ftilt wasn't safe. But if it is safer than every other move and you still get hit then that sucks.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Most rewarding? Utilt. You press Utilt and you successfully edgeguard. What can be more rewarding than a successful edgeguard? So simple too!

Safest move? Torn between Ftilt and Up B. Ftilt as an attack is really safe, but the Up B usually gets you in a safer position.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
nope

you should have read my post more thoroughly

you up b

for everything

that includes edgeguards

i did it today

several times

what now coreygames88 of Tempe, AZ

Rat

Smash Lord
UpB edgeguard is pretty amazing. Almost as good as the aerial grapple edge guard.

UpB is safe? Are we talking UpB OoS? or just UpB? Are we trying to shield poke here or what? How about on FD. UpB is kind of terrible on FD. (Unless you are by the edge)

Rat

Smash Lord
Oh yeah it's pretty good.

You should sweet spot the edge as you hit them. It wrecks captain falcon. Totally stops fox's UpB.

Pi

Smash Hero
yea if I'm ever in the position where both me and my opponent are recovering I try to hit them w/ my grapple or UB, if you can hit them and sweetspot the grapple it puts you in a greaaaaaat position

Rat

Smash Lord
Most rewarding move:
Dsmash: It's samus's best move at putting them above you. (Upthrow combos, the combo move doesn't keep them up.) When an Opponent is above samus. I am very happy.

Safest move:
Walk: Though you sacrifice the ability to position quickly. There is no lag as there is with WDing. You can still shield and Ftilt. Plus you can freely react to everything your opponent does!

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i actually don't like opponents above me too much

especially with silly characters like marth falcon
i prefer them in front of me
where i can tilt them

a lot

and up-b

edit: i love falco above me...i don't know about fox

rhan

Smash Hero
CC D-SMash at low percents.

after you can't CC anymore Spam Nairs and Missles. **** works.

Rat

Smash Lord
CC Dsmash hardly ever works.
You CC everything but you don't dsmash. People will shield the hell out it and you will die.
CC Jab and CC UpB are 4 times better.

Spam Nairs and Missiles? Are you kidding?
Nair is risky as hell. Plus putting samus above anyone (jumping) is terrible. I understand that you have to do it sometimes, but you need to know that they will jump.
Missiles are garbs too.

rhan

Smash Hero
You need to check reality. Missles aren't grabage. They either set up for grabs or open up for an approach. AKA I approach with Nair. Nair helps me with against ******** matchups like Falco and Fox. Even Sheik. If they smack the missle away their getting smacked with a Nair then if at low percents I'm sending a Ftilt out there for extra damage.

CC D-Smash works 95% of the time depending on when the d-smash is executed. You have to D-Smash as soon as thier move connects with you. Got me so many gimps at the tourney I just came from. The people didn't realise that Samus's D-Smash scoops you to the other side. This setted up for so many Utilt edge gaurds and D-smash blaster.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
CC Dsmash can make Sheik fly in retarted angles sometimes.
it works on fox a lot unless the fox fights a lot of Samus and knows not to do that
doesn't work on Falco and Marth's dair

when I was starting out in this game, I thought Samus' CC-DS was one of the gayest things in the game. I now realize it isn't but I still dislike it.

Rat

Smash Lord
When you play against people that know what they are doing, CC Dsmash is not an effective option.
They will time and space their move appropriately so that you cannot hit with it. Which is why I suggest CC UpB, CC jab, or CC move. They are faster than CC Dsmash. Also if your opponent hits -> shield you are not immediately screwed. (Unless you are doing the screw attack)

Yes Nair works, but it is super risky. The risk is not work spamming it.

I still think Missiles are pretty garbs. I rather space/position than shoot a missile.

Pi

Smash Hero
My favorite samus move = Ftilt
Second favorite move = Utilt
I missile to make them shield, to give myself openings
CC -> Dtilt seems good, why hasn't anyone mentioned it >.>

And most things are effective options, you just have to be in the situation to use them
You can't throw out moves just because maybe they CAN be beat
Hell, you could say everyone has something to counter missiles, so they're garbage, but they're obviously not
You could say samus's grab is too slow to be viable, but that's not true either
Every move has it's place
sans upsmash
god **** that move

Rat

Smash Lord
I reread my last 2 post and it comes across pretty badly. Sorry about that.

Yeah you are right though guys. Each move has it's time and place.

I guess it's not my playstyle. I try to choose options put me at a good position regardless of the outcome. Unless I feel like I have a read on them. Then i throw out riskier things.

Is it good to play that way? Or should you always be RPSing your opponent.

rhan

Smash Hero
CC Dsmash can make Sheik fly in retarted angles sometimes.
it works on fox a lot unless the fox fights a lot of Samus and knows not to do that
doesn't work on Falco and Marth's dair

when I was starting out in this game, I thought Samus' CC-DS was one of the gayest things in the game. I now realize it isn't but I still dislike it.
I don't see why'd anyone would go Samus against a Marth. That's just suicide... Falco though takes a different strat in my opinion. Up B's OoS the entire match. They always lazer approach to either dair or a grab on the shield. Just right before the grab happens just screw attack.

Also to beat any kind of CCing just grab. lol

My favorite samus move = Ftilt
Second favorite move = Utilt
I missile to make them shield, to give myself openings
CC -> Dtilt seems good, why hasn't anyone mentioned it >.>

Every move has it's place
The bold is so true.

CC->Dtilt I tired going though a phase where I though Dtilt could juggle spacies. I figured that they can just jump out after the first Dtilt. Also there isn't mcuh to follow up upon. Maybe if they fly towards you possibly bomb into a nair. Some crazy coreygames combo.

I reread my last 2 post and it comes across pretty badly. Sorry about that.

Yeah you are right though guys. Each move has it's time and place.

I guess it's not my playstyle. I try to choose options put me at a good position regardless of the outcome. Unless I feel like I have a read on them. Then i throw out riskier things.

Is it good to play that way? Or should you always be RPSing your opponent.
My style is more campy when it comes to Samus. I play at the edge a lot and just try to missle cancel whenever I can. I mainly draw the opponent close and try to just get them off stage where they're the most predictable and frail.

Corigames

Smash Hero
WTF Rhan.

You changed your color to purps and you added a Halo tracker to your sig on a Smash site.

Pi

Smash Hero
Idk...since apparently...CCing is IIgood...I was thinking....perhaps we should put together a list of moves that can be CCd and to what %, I'm pretty lazy but I got a tons of time on my hands and I figure it won't take very long (considering I'm spending like 8 hours in dollet with seifer leveling up my GF's to 100 to make perfect FF8 chars for the...3rd time, I may have a warped sense of 'long' but whatever), but I could do with some support for a list like this or some help, is anyone interested in a list like this ? anyone willing to help at all? I'm cool w/ doing it alone if people want it

Kochiha Ichihara

Smash Apprentice
I'm not entirely certain of the exact percentage Sammy can CC to, but I do know that it's pretty high.
And I'm going to agree with coreygames on Utilt being rewarding. Dtilt also rocks...but what the hell else is new?

Corigames

Smash Hero
If you were to tier Samus' moves, Bair would be high.

It wouldn't be top like the tilts would most likely be, but it wouldn't be low like her upsmash. The move is solid without being so good it's frequently brought up or so bad that it is openly shunned. Yet, you constantly use it.

It's like Samus' placement in the overal tier. People forget about her, even though they play her a lot usually, until they play you and then go, "Oh yeah! Samus..."

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i think the biggest problem with her bair is that you have to be facing AWAY in the air

but i think it's an amazing move

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Ftilt is really safe, the only problem with up-b is that you can get punished on the way down on maps like FD. Most rewarding? Drop down nairs to edge guard ^___^

Watty

Smash Lord
i fought pc chris in tourney f tilted his shield perfect range and he up smashed me outta shield

Rat

Smash Lord

I though it's bad when someone grabs your jab.

UpB on FD sucks hard. I really don't like that stage.

Ok say you are sent in the air: What is the safest option to get down?

Stay off the stage? Counter Attack with Nair? Go for the super obvious dair? Bomb? Bomb cancel an aerial grapple? Something amazing like FFing a jab? FF waveland?

I though it's bad when someone grabs your jab.

UpB on FD sucks hard. I really don't like that stage.

Stay off the stage? Counter Attack with Nair? Go for the super obvious dair? Bomb? Bomb cancel an aerial grapple? Something amazing like FFing a jab? FF waveland?
use the less-known Tornado of Fury on your way down.

two safest ways are bomb-jumping to a bomb-canceled grapple, and bomb-jumping off the stage out of reach. or try going for an airdodge down. that makes three I guess.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Safest way? Bomb jump away and air dodge.

Rewarding way? Mindgame some bomb jumps around your opponent to bait an attack and punish with foot.

Coolest way? Try to hit with the spike part of screw ball.

Also for the most rewarding move, I'd say it would be a grab, Samus can't really combo. However a grab will give her some good oppurtunities for follow ups...it's just that her grab is well...bad which prevents any reliable tactics for her.

rhan

Smash Hero
WTF Rhan.

You changed your color to purps and you added a Halo tracker to your sig on a Smash site.
You cannot deny the sexiness that is purple. And I played Halo and SSBM competitivly around the same time. I just never joined live until about christmas of 08.

Rat

Smash Lord
Man do we all play a different character? The responses are really varied.

Top Bottom