• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revival Of Salt-USA vs Canada-1000$Pot -

Patches

Smash Master
As of right now theres nothing from NY from Megabus.

I'd know, I'm relying on it to get to apex. XD

but with grey hound its $158 round trip. Megabus will be a hell of a lot cheaper. I'll keep looking for you Keitaro. I'll let you know as soon as I know

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Icant miss that Im gonna ask a day off to my boss. I would like to be in the crew if there is a place for me >.>

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
As of right now theres nothing from NY from Megabus.

I'd know, I'm relying on it to get to apex. XD

but with grey hound its $158 round trip. Megabus will be a hell of a lot cheaper. I'll keep looking for you Keitaro. I'll let you know as soon as I know
Thanks. Maybe there's a megabus from Philly?

Cruxis

Smash Lord
man im pissed i was walkin the streets of egypt today asking random people if they speak english and askin them to shout REVIVAL OF SALT and now the video wont ****in work on my laptop :(

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Basically in the event of a timeout that still manages to go under the ledge limit, i want one/more of the t.os to review the match to decide if one of the players used excessive stalling tactics(i will qualify this at a later point) and if they did its an automatic game lost

:phone:

Cruxis

Smash Lord
crews are gonna be our top 5 players, im assumin the next 2 people on our crew will be tin and meek but its also the crew captains choice because being good in singles doesnt necessarily mean being good in crews, crews is all about surviving

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Basically in the event of a timeout that still manages to go under the ledge limit, i want one/more of the t.os to review the match to decide if one of the players used excessive stalling tactics(i will qualify this at a later point) and if they did its an automatic game lost

"Excessive stalling?" As somebody who's practicing timing out, that seems pretty arbitrary. I'm hoping when you say "stalling" you're not including things like run away, because that'd be pretty dumb.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
im referring to stalling as running away/avoiding conflict for a MAJORITY of the game etc, Gi supports me also with this as were both sick of M2Ks bull**** and the like not being punished

Keitaro

Excessive stalling has almost never been punished correctly by any TO I've seen. I think that rule has never been used efficiently in a Brawl tournament setting.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
excellent rule, time outs are fuckin gay and the match should be played to end of stocks, not end of clock.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Just because you're bad Cruxis doesn't mean the rest of us should have to suffer.

Seriously, what the ****. I finally get the Falco and MK MUs down, and then some BS like this ****, telling me "oh no, that way of winning isn't valid"? **** YOU.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
excellent rule, time outs are fuckin gay and the match should be played to end of stocks, not end of clock.
Lol sorry, but your avatar + this post = me laughing a lot.

Also as a disclaimer, I am not as extremely against this as supreme dirt, but I think the rule is unprofessional and can lead to really controversial decisions that could make some people really angry. I think rules should be concrete so people can read and them and be able to fully expect what is going to happen. Adding a rule that simply says "we'll decide if it's excessive, and if we do decide that, you lose the match," is just too hard to work.

Anyways I doubt you'll actually end up making those decisions, but hey, if you can make it work and it's somehow agreeable, good job.

Cruxis

Smash Lord

i cant believe people actually support brawl being a sit-around and runaway campfest, 8 minutes each match, wow. just wow.

i and many others have had enough of seeing M2K-tactics winning a match, or scrooging, or air-planking, or any of that shit that drags the game out to time-out.
there is a big difference between when a game naturally goes to time-out due to the match intensity and spacing, and is FORCED to time-out because of a player's excessive stalling-esque tactics. And when it is the latter, it absolutely should not fucking count. play the god damn game how it was meant to be played

Croi

Smash Lord
I main Wario, now what am I supposed to do???

E:
play the god damn game how it was meant to be played
items on, cp 75m

Literally the game is meant to be played how you play it, using a tactic that's admittedly bullshit isn't against how it's "meant to be played" at all. Let's play coin battles while we're at it.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Ok lets say I agree with what you just said. How can the rule be fair? What if the player legitimately thought he wasn't being overly gay, and was playing to win? The rule is too interpretive, so I feel that even if the game was meant to play more aggressively, it's only going to end up making people really angry/salty. That's my main beef with the rule.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
What if the player legitimately thought he wasn't being overly gay, and was playing to win? The rule is too interpretive, so I feel that even if the game was meant to play more aggressively, it's only going to end up making people really angry/salty. That's my main beef with the rule.
so are you trying to argue that the game is meant to go to a time-out, and whoever has the stock advantage wins? because that sounds like a last ditch effort win to me.
the only reason a timer exists in the first place is because of time constraints, not because people are supposed to use it to their advantage and drag the match out.

if a player drags out a match by running away/avoiding conflict the entire match and wins due to timeout and stock advantage, and that player legitimately thinks he wasnt being overly gay, then hes a fucken idiot lol

items on, cp 75m

Literally the game is meant to be played how you play it, using a tactic that's admittedly bull**** isn't against how it's "meant to be played" at all. Let's play coin battles while we're at it.
ill rephrase, a STOCK match is meant to be played until a player loses all of his stocks. it was not meant to be played to a time-out, at least not a FORCED time-out. i understand that some time outs do indeed happen naturally, like you said playing a character like Wario who is all about spacing. but what Joe is referring to are tactics that deliberately stretch out the length of the match, and the player is literally just avoiding all forms of battle, instead of actually trying to approach cautiously and carefully.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i disagree with the rule but its really not as big of a deal as dirt is making it seem LOL

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'm not going to argue with you Cruxis because I've tried that before and well... :laugh:

the only reason a timer exists in the first place is because of time constraints, not because people are supposed to use it to their advantage and drag the match out.
Just wanted to say that the main purpose of the timer is to force the loser to approach.

I'm mad interested in seein how ya'll are gonna make this rule legit.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am not really suggesting that at all.

My problem with the rule is how vague it is. People are going to the tournament not knowing what to expect. I've seen matches that go to time out by pure accident because that's just how the match-up plays. A few months back I played superboom. It was game 3 (last game), snake vs GaW on SV. It's a more difficult stage to fight snake on, so I thought my best chance was to stay on the platform until he messed up and then hit him. All this time I am avoid grenades, tilts, aerials etc. Finally I get a lead and I stop approaching and just stay on the platform. If I approach too much I end up losing because that's just how the match-up works. So he keeps attempting to throw **** at me, and attacking me, and it winds up with me having a full stock lead with 1 minute left on the clock. He pauses and tells me I win.

With this rule, would you say I lose? I wasn't trying to time him out, I was trying to play smart/safe and win. If it went to time and someone said I actually lost the match, I'd be really mad, because in my mind I played the game and match-up properly.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
I am not really suggesting that at all.

My problem with the rule is how vague it is. People are going to the tournament not knowing what to expect. I've seen matches that go to time out by pure accident because that's just how the match-up plays. A few months back I played superboom. It was game 3 (last game), snake vs GaW on SV. It's a more difficult stage to fight snake on, so I thought my best chance was to stay on the platform until he messed up and then hit him. All this time I am avoid grenades, tilts, aerials etc. Finally I get a lead and I stop approaching and just stay on the platform. If I approach too much I end up losing because that's just how the match-up works. So he keeps attempting to throw **** at me, and attacking me, and it winds up with me having a full stock lead with 1 minute left on the clock. He pauses and tells me I win.

With this rule, would you say I lose? I wasn't trying to time him out, I was trying to play smart/safe and win. If it went to time and someone said I actually lost the match, I'd be really mad, because in my mind I played the game and match-up properly.
ok, and i emphasize like i said before, some matches do naturally go to time-out simply due to the nature of the matchup/character. with this rule, joe is referring to the extreme examples, such as for example MK being a stock ahead then taking it upon himself to glide under the stage to the other ledge, throw out a nado, then glide once again under the stage rinse and repeat.

you can trust joe's jurisdiction and judgment if the player was deliberately trying to stall the match, or if it naturally went to time-out. we arent idiots brah

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
so are you trying to argue that the game is meant to go to a time-out
Let me ask you: What are the default settings of this game, when you go to the character select screen?

YES, the game IS meant to go to time.

Also expanding on what Alphicans is saying.

Jigglypuff vs. Metaknight, Lucario, or Snake.

Jigglypuff's only realistic chance at winning against either character is avoiding combat as much as possible and waiting for any and all chances to punish. Realistically, every game a Jiggz main plays against either character should go to time if the Jiggz main actually wants to win. Yet your rule is basically saying "nah, sorry, but you CAN'T do that. You have to approach with a moveset full of moves that aren't safe on hit, and be aggressive when your only strength is your mobility". It's giving a big **** you to any character who has trouble approaching or killing, like Sonic for example.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
you know i think that the main issue is that people have adjusted so much to the status quo and are afraid to try anything new. people are so used to brawl being a boring 8-minute campfest when it could actually be played entirely differently, but people are just too scared and move in with their auntie and uncle to bel air i whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had a dice in the mirror if anything i could say that this cab was rare but i thought nah forget it yo homes to bel air i pulled up to a house about 7 or 8 and i yelled to the cabbie yo homes smell u later looked at my kingdom i was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of bel air

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
I hate how i even put majority in caps for emphasis and its stilled ignored, alphi your example would be fine as you said you avoided contact for a minute or so

You guys complain about MK but **** like this were suppose to accept as playing to win?? This only confirms my opinion on peoples biases

Were trying to make the game more solid competitively and not follow like sheep to rules that we had no say in, look at the status of our dying community and tell me the URC properly manages us

me and gi agree on this, if you dont want to come thats fine,but be ****ing respectful about it and not make a fool of yourself, like cmon guys this is why canada is such a joke, our tourney hype gets drowned in rediculous amounts of salt, from now on PM me or Gi if youd like to discuss this kinda stuff, facebook/swf/aib

Edit: ally thats a good idea but i still feel like it could be avoided and only deals with 1 char

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
At the very least increase the timer to 9 minutes. That drastically reduces the number of matches going to time. And makes far more sense than arbitrarily having 8 minutes carried over from Melee.

Also ban YI:B. Please. I'm completely serious. Support ghosts are just too ****ing random and **** with far too much.

AllyKnight

I hate how i even put majority in caps for emphasis and its stilled ignored, alphi your example would be fine as you said you avoided contact for a minute or so

You guys complain about MK but **** like this were suppose to accept as playing to win?? This only confirms my opinion on peoples biases

Were trying to make the game more solid competitively and not follow like sheep to rules that we had no say in, look at the status of our dying community and tell me the URC properly manages us

me and gi agree on this, if you dont want to come thats fine,but be ****ing respectful about it and not make a fool of yourself, like cmon guys this is why canada is such a joke, our tourney hype gets drowned in rediculous amounts of salt, from now on PM me or Gi if youd like to discuss this kinda stuff, facebook/swf/aib

Edit: ally thats a good idea but i still feel like it could be avoided and only deals with 1 char

ill help out later, it's used in japan and it works.

Top Bottom