• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rest and Shield-break punishing strategies

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Wow Magus thanks for all the info :)

Let's see all the combos mentioned in this thread so far (thanks to everyone that has posted ideas), and I'll try to figure out if they're escapeable or not with my limited DI knowledge:

Not escapeable:
Sheik: needles->grab->dthrow->something
Fox: Lasers->Usmash (or grab uthrow uair, but the uair is escapeable. That said, even if they SDI it you will still have done massive damage. Also most people aren't 100% consistent with SDI'ing it)
Falcon: Dair->stuff at percents where it won't make you fall over (low percent)
Mario: cape->fair->grab->dthrow->something at percents where it won't make you fall over (low percent).

Escapeable:
Samus: Missile canceled smash missile->charge shot
How to escape: ASDI down and shield at low percent. At higher percent when you fall over from it you should be able to
insta-tech.

Falcon: Dair->stuff at percents where it'll make you fall over
How to escape: Tech the dair. Pretty sure this is possible as long as it makes you fall over since you bounce off the ground

Mario: Fair->stuff at percents where it will make you fall over
How to escape: Same as falcon dair

ill finish this later lawl

Magus420

Smash Master
If you somehow manage to crouch before getting hit by the 1st hit and then SDI out of range of the rest of the hits I suppose it's possible... xD

Otherwise, even if they have it come out just before landing so it only hits once and you crouch for that 1 hit, they still get frame advantage due to the stun. While it might normally stun for like 16-18 frames, getting hit by it while your character is crouching might reduce it to like 11-13 or something, which is still longer than his l-cancel lag for the d-air. It's why those type of hits that have horizontal and lower trajectories are so good against crouch canceling, since the cancel part doesn't actually work and you can only crouch them.

The stun on his n-air for example, which has an upward knockback can be canceled since you can get a landing off of it. If you CC that and the crouch aspect reduces the knockback enough to not cause a knockdown and the ASDI down causes you to instantly land you'll be unable to act for only 4 frames after the hit, which is the duration of his landing lag animation, regardless of how much stun it would have had normally.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
wow... you are frame guru, k?

and thanks for letting me know it's ridiculously unlikely that it'll ever happen.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
hey it sounds alright to me.
"frame guru with a pretty ganon" is my favorite, fersher.

DeletedGod

Smash Cadet
I use my up tilt. It will most likely be the only time in the match I use it. Who do I main?

Top Bottom