• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reinventing the List - This time with a clearer explanation of casting

Rakath

Smash Ace
Rules I follow for castlist:
1. Nintendo appearing cast only (nobody from PS/Xb only games).
1a. Character had to be IMPORTANT in the Nintendo console game (NO CLOUD).
2. Conservation of Cast - No Series already in Super Smash Bros comes to Brawl with less cast than Melee (Pokemon maintains at least 4 reps, Mario 5, StarFox 2, etc).
3. If if the cast of a series can reasonably be expanded, it will be (not counting WTF series, the Mario Spin-off cast, and Retro characters).

# in line. Character Name (Series Name -# of reps for that series thus far) (Sakurai Poll # or a "V" for Veteran)

Character spots 1-23 (0S Samus as a transform not withstanding) are taken up spaces. This list will list up to 50 characters... lower on the list, less likely to appear.

Non-counting listing: Shiek returning, but Shiek is a transform and doesn't count against the total.

Highly likely (24-30)
24. Luigi (Super Mario Brothers -4) (V)
25. Captain Falcon (F-Zero -1) (V)
26. Jigglypuff (Pokemon -3) (V)
27. Marth (Fire Emblem -2) (V)
28. Ridley (Metroid -2) (4)
29. Krystal (Starfox -2) (3)
30. Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda -3) (V)

This is the almost 100% confirmed the world will shake and furry animals will rain from the sky if they aren't in the game cast. There isn't much needed to be said about WHY any of these characters will make it into Brawl.

Not as Likely, but still pretty good standing (31-35)
31. Mr. Game and Watch (Game and Watch -1) (V)
32. Lucario (Pokemon -4) (-)
33. Ness (Mother -2) (V)
34. Cel-Shaded Link (Legend of Zelda -4) (3)
35. Geno (Super Mario Brothers -5) (4)

These characters have popularty or seniority in Smash, but the world will not end if they get replaced or don't make it. This doesn't mean they are unlikely at all, it just means that if they don't make it, nobody will storm the Nintendo buildings (except those nutcase Geno fans).

We've barely reached 40, I have a shot! (36-40)
36. Isaac (Golden Sun -1) (2)
37. Micaiah (Fire Emblem -3) (-)
38. Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou -1) (3)
39. Falco (Star Fox -3) (V)
40. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country -3) (2)

Now then... the cast list is getting a bit desperate now. However, these characters are not left fielders in any way... they just happen to be characters we could easily live without. (No longer applies but leaving it up here) I DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY POSTS ABOUT HOW I DISGRACED GENO. He could of gone up one point on this list but quite frankly everyone on the list has more games to their name than he has (not counting Cameo appearances).

I have a Dream... where I Brawl (41-45)
41. Bowser Jr. (Super Mario Brothers -6) (-)
42. Mewtwo (Pokemon -5) (V)
43. Sheeda (Fire Emblem -4) (1)
44. Rock Man (Rock Man -1) (2)
45. Dark Samus (Metroid -3) (-)

This is all cast that, so long as Brawl has a REALLY LARGE CAST, have a chance. Or in the case of Rock Man, if they were just being really sneaky about hiding him. Barring Sukapon and Rock they are all additions to series that not everyone sees the need to add to.

Seriously reaching and wishful thinking (46-50)
46. Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight -1) (2)
47. Vaati (Legend of Zelda -5) (1)
48. Demiru (Tomato Attack -1) (2)
49. Mia (Fire Emblem -5) (1)
50. Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog -2) (-)

These are the dregs, cool characters without a chance at all to get in. Be it due to 3rd partiness, or due to the series being overcrowded, or being unkown. For whatever reason I decided to make it a 50 person list. And by this point I'm allowed to dream of Roll fighting Peach while Knuckles fights Bowser.

This is how I feel the pieces will fall, if we have a 40+ cast, everyone has a shot. If the cast is some really low 30something number... tis a sad, sad day.

51. Roll (Rock Man -2) (-)

Edit history
Dark Samus added, Felix lost his spot.
Added the Sakurai poll numbers after the characters with ones.
Moved Mia up (someone asked for it), fixed the number on Bowser Jr (he's Mario's 6th rep).
Moved Takamaru to 36, everyone else moved up from this.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Takamura is too high, I would switch him and King K. Rool. Other than that, it's a pretty good list.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Yeah Takamura looks a bit high (I don't even know who that is...).. and Uh.. Cell-Shaded Link.. Hmm...

But.. chance list looks pretty good to me... apart from a few.

-Onyx

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Bowser Jr. and Lucario are too low. Takamaru is right where he should be imo. I have a feeling hes going to be our next wtf retro char. ;)

Rakath

Smash Ace
OnyxVulpine: Takamaru is a Japan-Only character of decent importance and popularity. I don't know his series but based on his multile taps from Sakurai isn't someone to be completely dropped. He's even-ranked with Krystal, and Cel-Shaded Link on the Poll. So I put him in an apropriate spot for such a ranking. The tweak he got was very minor (I did not feel a move down to K. Rool location was warranted, like Weltunter suggested).

~Krystal~: Bowser Jr. and Lucario (along with Vaati) are adding to series already with 4+ Reps. The only way I could move them up is to trade them with Geno, Mewtwo (and Cel-Shaded Link) respectively. I would have put each higher but the series they are from are way too crowded to really do that.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
what about Ray01? I think he falls under the same ranking as Isaac. I mean after all, Ray(insert form number here) has had 3 games japan only and 2 more games world wide(or that at least reached american shores). he is second party and a very different addition to the smash series. his popularity has also been at somewhat of a rise lately.

EDIT: oopps, I forgot he wasnt on the pole, so he isnt quite as likely as Isaac but I guess he is just someone too consider.

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
How did Roll and knuckles get on there??? Atleast put possible characters, even if HIGHLY unlikely.
Marina from Mischief Makers seems to fit that description. It was very popular in Japan and even was somewhat in the U.S.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
What?! Rool is very VERY likely. Sakura said he wants to include more villains, and who would be a better Villain than the main enemy in almost all Donkey Kong Games (which is one of Nintendo's most popular series).

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
What?! Rool is very VERY likely. Sakura said he wants to include more villains, and who would be a better Villain than the main enemy in almost all Donkey Kong Games (which is one of Nintendo's most popular series).
lol, Roll (from megaman)...not Rool as in Captain/King K. Rool. "Rool" is on the list by the way as #40

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
It's cool. I think K Rool should be higher on the list though. He would be perfect for the "Trouble kings" event where as all the events now have difficulties I could see the "hard" difficulty be: Mario vs. Bowser, DDD and K. Rool.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
It's cool. I think K Rool should be higher on the list though. He would be perfect for the "Trouble kings" event where as all the events now have difficulties I could see the "hard" difficulty be: Mario vs. Bowser, DDD and K. Rool.
Good idea :)

Easy: just Bowser
Normal: Bowser and Dedede
Hard: Bowser, Dedede and King K. Rool

:034:

Smash Hero
Woah woah. Game & Watch is also one of the highest likely. He's pretty much already confirmed due to the icon theory and the fact that Sakurai will probably keep every original moveset.

antimatter

Smash Lord
52: Sylux
cool character
possible important role soon
two poll mentions

i have spoken

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
trade Knuckles with Mia, Sega is not best of friends with Nintendo and if it were to have another character it'd be someone bigger or more important like Nights or someone.

Geno seems too high up there.

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman
I think you've added 1 tp the number of reps form starfox characters, counted falco twice?

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
Pretty good list, I'm happy you didn't add in a bunch of stupid random Fire Emblem/FF characters that only appear in one game. and Lucario is where he should be. lol.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Can't you just call Rockman Megaman? After all, the series has a name in both languages...

Also, though he hasn't said it directly, Serebii pretty much knows that Mewtwo won't be in Brawl. Sounds like it will be Lucario instead... maybe switch them?

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
Add Wolf and move Bowser Jr. up and you have one of the best lists I have seen. Not as important: Add Ray 01 and move Lucario up. I am confident that the game will have at least 40 characters so Lucario moving up isn't urgent but it would still be nice.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
2. Conservation of Cast - No Series already in Super Smash Bros comes to Brawl with less cast than Melee (Pokemon maintains at least 4 reps, Mario 5, StarFox 2, etc).
Not as Likely, but still pretty good standing (31-35)
31. Mr. Game and Watch (Game and Watch -1)

These characters have popularty or seniority in Smash, but the world will not end if they get replaced or don't make it.
These contradict each other.

Rakath

Smash Ace
MysticKenji and Flying Dutchman:
They don't as Game and Watch is the very top of the second section, he's not in the dreg numbers past 40, he's just past the absolute reappearance. The thing is that the characters before him outrank him ever so slightly. I just couldn't think of Game and Watch coming back before any of those returnings or Ridley and Krystal. Mewtwo was the same way.

1ofmany_ppl:
As I said, those two are basically saying 'in a 50 person cast, ANYONE IS POSSIBLE'. (Also saying that I only had 48 character ideas, and just filled out the last two with characters I like). Moving them to add a character to a game I've barely heard of... sure, I could... but I won't.

RedMageBBT:
Lucario is a fifth Pokemon rep, I'm sorry, I love him, want him in Brawl... his count can't be higher. Incidentally:

Weltuner:
K.Rool is a THIRD DK rep, I can't put him in before trying to really fill out the other series first. His Poll standing was good, but he's another addition to a cast. DK already got Diddy added.

XAce-K:
Yes, Rock Man is Mega Man.

E-Z-MONEY:
Wolf is a fourth Star Fox rep, no. I mean, if we took out Falco, maybe, but no. Bowser Jr. is an added SIXTH Mario character... he's not getting a low number.

hello_kitty:
I'll trade Roll with Mia... as I wasn't thinking anyone would want Mia higher on the list besides me. However the 48-51 are staying as 'my wishful thinking' They are well beyond the 'likely castsize numbers'.

Krell:
I'll continue to use Rock Man, Forte, Gospel, and Blues. ^_^
Serebii isn't Sakurai, if Mewtwo is lost, so be it. He's still a fully unique moveset that can't just become Lucario.

Kronzo:
Thank you. However random one use FE characters of no purpose but to amuse me was tempting (really, all I mean is I wanted to put Mist and Soren from 9-10 along with Matthew and Serra from 7... but I know better ^_~ ).

FireCrack:
I know I got the Mario count wrong, I'll check the StarFox count while I fix it.

All the Geno topics:
Geno isn't moving on the list unless other characters move around him. His listing is only that high due to popularity and Conservation of Mario.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
dark samus would be awesome, and she could theoretically have a unique moveset, but im pretty sure that Dark Samus is an alternate costume for samus.

Im dissapointed too.

EDIT: it was actually phazon suit samus i saw. My bad.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
No, she isn't.

This is confirmed.

Now refer to my above post :)

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Why the hell is Bomberman never on these lists? There is not a doubt in my mind that he will be one of the the 3rd party characters, if not the only one yet to be revealed.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Dark Samus:
Its personally my bias against overloading a series repset with villains, The only series I put up two villain reps for are Mario (Bowser and Bowser Jr.) and Zelda (Ganondorf and Vaati). Both series have 5+ characters listed, so they aren't 'more evil than good'. Since Ridley is already up there, putting up D. Samus seemed... uneeded. Also Japan has an apparent dislike for Primeseries Metroid stuff.

Bomberman (and Rayman, and actually every other Third Party not included in my list):
I picked my pony when it came to a final third party. My pick is Rock Man. I could have kept the spot open and say 'if there's another third party, it goes here' but I figured going with the highest voted non-Geno third party seemed better.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I think Lucario and Bowser Jr should be higher (even if I don't like them personally).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Dark Samus deserves to be on there, I mean since the hiatus, they tripled the amount of Metroid games, it deserves 3 reps. No, Zamus is just a transformation until proven otherwise.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Give me a suggestion for who to take off the list, excluding Mia and Knuckles, I doubt Dark Samus has any claim before them, and that asking me to remove that character from the list will probably bring a backlash of "Dark Samus doesn't belong there over them" and other such remarks, especially if the character has 3+ votes on the list, or is the added Pokemon and Mario reps.

Top Bottom