• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding character reveals for 3DS and the Wii U's involvement.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Some of us already know what I might be getting at.

Recently, the 3DS version was fully leaked and EVERY character was revealed as well as the "You got every character" notice.

Does this mean there are no more characters that will ever be revealed before the release of the Wii U version? No. In fact, I'm thinking that another reason 3DS has connectivity to the Wii U is because those that buy the 3DS version, don't have to spend time revealing the same characters AGAIN for the Wii version? What possible outcome do we have here? Characters that can only be unlocked on the Wii U version. And the only way to get them to the 3DS version is too do exactly the same thing except Wii U data going TO the 3DS.

The amount of characters revealed in the 3DS version seems too sparse. Too little to sastify people who've played since the 1st game. This only supports my claim.

Will we get Wolf, Ridley, Mewtwo, etc? Maybe.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
SSB = 12 characters (+12)

Melee = 26 characters (+13)

Brawl = 37 characters (+11)

3DS/Wii U = 48 characters (+11)

Customizable move sets = 81 combinations per characters X 48 characters = 3,888 possible options

I think its safe to say there will be NO more characters. I get the Wii U version needs hype, but I'm assuming that's just going to be focused via features, Amiibos, and modes.

The hype will continue with little children wanting a Mario action figure to work with a game console. That will drive the Wii U sales.

Not new characters.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856

Customizable move sets = 81 combinations per characters X 48 characters = 3,888 possible options

I think its safe to say there will be NO more characters. I get the Wii U version needs hype, but I'm assuming that's just going to be focused via features, Amiibos, and modes.

The hype will continue with little children wanting a Mario action figure to work with a game console. That will drive the Wii U sales.

Not new characters.
Nothing you just said proves to me there is a safe assumption this is a final roster.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189

Not new characters.
Mk8 is also getting amibbo yet it still got two amazing dlc bundles that expand the game content almost by half.

So no amibbo does not mean smash will not be receiving a character boost whether it be dlc or some form of the version linking process.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Honestly, as much as I wouldn't mind seeing more characters added, I think people are only coming up with these theories because they WANT to see more characters. People did very similar things when Brawl's roster was first revealed. People were convinced that there were more characters to be unlocked after Wolf.

I'm pleased with the roster that we got personally. If they decide to add more characters via the Wii U version then great. Likewise for DLC. But I would not recommend getting your hopes up. Try to make the best of the roster that we actually got.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This is a TERRIBLE idea because it's essentially paying $15 per character for on-card DLC. I don't think Nintendo would be that stupid. Not even Capcom's that stupid.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
And what of the fact that they've told us that the roster will be the same for both versions...?
You will have the same characters for both versions. There. They haven't lied.

This is a TERRIBLE idea because it's essentially paying $15 per character for on-card DLC. I don't think Nintendo would be that stupid. Not even Capcom's that stupid.
Who says they'll make each character cost $15, let alone require a price...?

Last edited:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
You will have the same characters for both versions. There. They haven't lied.
Right.

I mean, I'm as hopeful as anyone, but I just feel like they wouldn't bother with the "You've unlocked every character message" if they planned on taking it back any time soon. I'd like to be proven wrong, though (especially if new characters turn out to be free!). I'm in the camp that it's just not Sakurai's style.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
They said on Brawl for sure there would be no DLC. The game also sucked (I kid, the online did what's the point kill me now etc).

I believe that was the old Nintendo. I can't see this game not having DLC. Nintendo needed to get this game out starting with the 3DS version not only this year, but before the Wii U version releases as well. I believe they chose the correct roster to start out with and will offer DLC for FREE down the road when Wii U releases. Shoot, even the PotD mentioned being able to download patches even with not having the game "so look out for them". (sounds like hinting DLC, nah yeah right, but yes).

Makes too much sense, though.

At any rate, I can't wait to see Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog in the superior version.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well, at least the backlash is showing, people don't want to accept such a ****ty roster lacking so many fan-favorites.

I hope this is true, I would pay any amount ever for Ridley.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Right.

I mean, I'm as hopeful as anyone, but I just feel like they wouldn't bother with the "You've unlocked every character message" if they planned on taking it back any time soon. I'd like to be proven wrong, though (especially if new characters turn out to be free!). I'm in the camp that it's just not Sakurai's style.
I can see what you mean but there is still a small hope in my head. It can mean something like "you've unlocked every character in the state of the game as it is now" or like "you've unlocked every release-character, but there may be extra content". Different words, but the official message has similar connotations I think.

They said on Brawl for sure there would be no DLC. The game also sucked (I kid, the online did what's the point kill me now etc).

I believe that was the old Nintendo. I can't see this game not having DLC. Nintendo needed to get this game out starting with the 3DS version not only this year, but before the Wii U version releases as well. I believe they chose the correct roster to start out with and will offer DLC for FREE down the road when Wii U releases. Shoot, even the PotD mentioned being able to download patches even with not having the game "so look out for them". (sounds like hinting DLC, nah yeah right, but yes).

Makes too much sense, though.

At any rate, I can't wait to see Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog in the superior version.
Sakurai also mentioned that it was not possible to have DLC/patches in Brawl, so there's that too.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I believe we will get DLC, and no... this isn't based on unhappiness with the current roster. Wish people wouldn't jump to that.

I am COMPLETELY fine with the Smash 4 roster as is... actually, it's my favorite batch of newcomers of any Smash sequel, and the roster size is huge, so I'll be happy. Then again, I've said numerous times that anybody after Megaman is just gravy for me.

I have been saying for the entire development cycle that I didn't think there was any way Sakurai would blow every surprise months before the Wii U version releases. I would put a couple bucks down that a char is revealed before the Wii U version, and back-added to the 3DS version upon Wii U's release. I also don't think there's any way that we don't get DLC chars, considering Nintendo's trends lately.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I hope there's some unlock connectivity (from the stance of unlocking new characters), or that at least if you transfer the characters to the U you can still fight them when you hit the unlock conditions. We'll have to see, I'm fairly fine with either.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Honestly, as much as I wouldn't mind seeing more characters added, I think people are only coming up with these theories because they WANT to see more characters.
I'm for and against this claim. I DO want to see more characters, but I believe my statement in the OP makes a lot of sense regardless of my desires.

the8thark

Smash Lord
According to a leaker that worked in the European localisation, Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men and Mewtwo are in some builds of the game. And he states that they will be playable if you connect 3DS and Wii U.

You can click here to go to the font: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153
I don't believe that rumour for a second. Leak some screenshot of Ridley being a PC in the game then I'll believe it. There's zero proof for this rumour. At the moment it's just the wet dream of many people.

If that is true, forcing people to own both versions of the game just to unlock all the characters would be a very bull**** money hungry move from Nintendo. Just do a paid DLC, people would buy that. Not everyone owns a 3DS and WiiU.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So this is a hyperbolic way of saying it's extra money you pay up to the Wii U version just so you can use transfer? Doesn't sound like how Capcom would swindle you to pay extra to unlock characters already on the disc. Yet alone making characters unattainable from other versions of the game.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So this is a hyperbolic way of saying it's extra money you pay up to the Wii U version just so you can use transfer? Doesn't sound like how Capcom would swindle you to pay extra to unlock characters already on the disc. Yet alone making characters unattainable from other versions of the game.
If someone only intends to play one version, like a lot of vocal people here, it's functionally the same thing.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Edit: just delete this post lol.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Nothing you just said proves to me there is a safe assumption this is a final roster.
Yes, it does. It means there is so much customization available , not to mention the whole point of the Mii fighter is so you can make characters that aren't in the game already.

My POINT was that he seemingly adds roughly the same amount of characters to each game. I highly doubt they would have left out characters purposely for hype.

Trust me, I want more characters than anything, but I don't think with the amount he added, and the level of customization provided, that there will be anymore. I'm hoping I'm wrong though.

Top Bottom