• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Recovery Tier List"

NixxxoN

Smash Master

aequitas.veritas

Smash Apprentice
i like the original posters tier. the only thing i would say is kirby's up b is sooo fricken interupable its not even funny so maybe not top tier. also, i dont think 'hardest' should go into account for ness' because anyone who knows what theyre doing can direct themselves where they wanna go, i mean i learned to ace the direction of his recovery after a few hours of trying back in the day, before i even knew what z canceling was haha( he still may be bottom tier for the fact you can jump in front of his thunder i just wanted to point that out..besides he cant really counterattack edge guarders very well outside a well aimed upb). i think samus has a very good recovery, id say possibly put her in top tier.. i mean you have the chance to either fair an edge guarder (high priority) or up-b them, high priority, or even shoot a full charge at them before up-b'ing..and if they jump off to mess with you you can still **** with their head and dair them into oblivion. the down b gives her good horintal range and her jumps arent bad at all.
i might put yoshi in bottom tier because despite his invincibility, if you get him in the beginning of his second jump hes dead, and all it takes is a little sex kick at the end of his second jump to sit and laugh as he floats back down.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Well after some thoughts I've put Kirby down to 4th place. I don't think he should stay more down than this.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
well be that as it may...Jiggly definitly is not higher then Samus...Samus has a really good recovery..you peeps just dont see it :|
They are pretty close. Jiggly when hes knocked out high he returns for sure as he has an awesome horizontal range. On the other hand, Samus when hes so far away he has to pull the bombs which makes her very vulnerable.

otg

Smash Master
The fact that Ness's recovery goes so far should take him out of the bottom tier. The only problems with it are:

1.) Ness is below the ledge, he's most likely screwed.
2.) Easily interrupted, especially by Pikachu.
3.) Someone eats the PK thunder... and your dead.
4.) Hard (if not impossible?) to Sweetspot the ledge.

Yeah that's some serious problems, but for the most part if Ness is above the ledge, AND there are platforms, you should be able to easily evade most enemy edgeguards. Biggest problem for Ness is probably Pika who can jump out and hit you with anything before you have any way to react.

IMO he should be above Fox and DK. DK's recovery is almost entirely horizontal, and he's vulnerable from the top so he can get very easily gimped/spiked by a majority of the cast. Fox's recovery is a lot shorter than Ness's and can be gimped just as easily.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Just looked at greenblob's recovery tier list, and would tend to agree with it. My only problem with it is Kirby's high placement... his recovery isn't that fantastic.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Yeah that's some serious problems, but for the most part if Ness is above the ledge, AND there are platforms, you should be able to easily evade most enemy edgeguards.

IMO he should be above Fox and DK. DK's recovery is almost entirely horizontal, and he's vulnerable from the top so he can get very easily gimped/spiked by a majority of the cast. Fox's recovery is a lot shorter than Ness's and can be gimped just as easily.
I think your wrong. Ness recovery is easily interceptable in any situation. Unless you sweetspot that its very difficult. Fox recovery is definitely better because its way faster and the landing is faster and more movable.
About DK... Its harder to spike than Ness and Fox because of his big arms protecting him, you have to make spot on in the head.

Edit: Just looked at greenblob's recovery tier list, and would tend to agree with it. My only problem with it is Kirby's high placement... his recovery isn't that fantastic.
LOL! Greenblob is wrong as hell when he places Ness so high. He thinks Ness is invulnerable during ALL his Up+B (lol) and he can sweetspot easily (2nd lol)
He also places Samus way too low

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
Heres How i put it

Pikachu - No doubting that whatsoever. Recovery god.

Luigi - Because of his floatyness, direct fireball that doesn't arc, higher jumps, hes second

Kirby - The little $!@ Can be hard as heck to edgeguard if the kirby player knows what hes doin, can you say, priority? and i'm not talkin about the up b.

Jigglypuff - Pound is not only for recovery, it also has incredible priority over edgeguarders, and even if shes knocked back out, shes takin them with em from the pound. Not to mention fair and dair work great in her recovery too. Shes put above mario for the distance she can recover. And ability to fool edgeguarders since she has no recovery up b. Its all about workin airspace.

Mario - Great recovery, can come back from crap you wouldn't believe. Over Half the time my mario survives out to 160% or more depending on my opponent. Fireballs, Dairs Fairs even nado if you're smart are good for recovery defense.

Samus - Great bomb jump recovery, and great up b priority. can sweetspot the ledge a lot lower than other characters. recovery is abuseable during bomb jumps so this is why shes lower than others.

DK - Good horizontal range, with proper di you can get the proper vertical height. Its up to the player to determine where the attacking player is gonna edgegaurd. Invincibility frames can be a ***** to deal with.

Yoshi - Decent distance and good priority with the 2nd jump. Almost no way to defend himself afterwards unless he wants to miss the ledge.

Falcon - Covers good distance with 2nd jump falcon punch recovery, sweetspot dependant tho. The up+b has broken *** suck range tho. Gets annoying for the edgeguarder xD.

Fox - Poor range, high fall rate, predictable up b. The fact that its multidirectional saves it a bit but overall fox's recovery just blows horribly.

Ness - Waaaay past predictable, easy to edgeguard. If ness is off ledge without his 2nd jump. hes dead. Simply put.

Link - Dont gotta explain this one.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Luigi - Because of his floatyness, direct fireball that doesn't arc, higher jumps, hes second
I disagree with this one. Mario's fireballs are more unpredictable and annoying for the edgeguarders. their recovery range is almost the same. I think its Mario first and Luigi inmediately after him.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well i cant seem to get Nixxxon to agree with me on the boards, i guess all i can say is go play smash and learn :\
You can learn different things by playing Smash :p
Although I will agree with you on the fireballs thing.

tigerbombzz

Smash Apprentice
Heres How i put it

Pikachu - No doubting that whatsoever. Recovery god.

Kirby - The little $!@ Can be hard as heck to edgeguard if the kirby player knows what hes doin, can you say, priority? and i'm not talkin about the up b.

Jigglypuff - Pound is not only for recovery, it also has incredible priority over edgeguarders, and even if shes knocked back out, shes takin them with em from the pound. Not to mention fair and dair work great in her recovery too. Shes put above mario for the distance she can recover. And ability to fool edgeguarders since she has no recovery up b. Its all about workin airspace.

Mario - Great recovery, can come back from crap you wouldn't believe. Over Half the time my mario survives out to 160% or more depending on my opponent. Fireballs, Dairs Fairs even nado if you're smart are good for recovery defense.

Samus - Great bomb jump recovery, and great up b priority. can sweetspot the ledge a lot lower than other characters. recovery is abuseable during bomb jumps so this is why shes lower than others.

DK - Good horizontal range, with proper di you can get the proper vertical height. Its up to the player to determine where the attacking player is gonna edgegaurd. Invincibility frames can be a ***** to deal with.

Yoshi - Decent distance and good priority with the 2nd jump. Almost no way to defend himself afterwards unless he wants to miss the ledge.

Falcon - Covers good distance with 2nd jump falcon punch recovery, sweetspot dependant tho. The up+b has broken *** suck range tho. Gets annoying for the edgeguarder xD.

Fox - Poor range, high fall rate, predictable up b. The fact that its multidirectional saves it a bit but overall fox's recovery just blows horribly.

Ness - Waaaay past predictable, easy to edgeguard. If ness is off ledge without his 2nd jump. hes dead. Simply put.

Link - Dont gotta explain this one.
pfft...pikachu huh?! paalease...you need the character JESUS wen you play me so u can even have a remote chance

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Sort of, but the way your ratonalizing them is what i dont understand :p
What do you mean?
I dont think it should be more different than that. Some of the worst recoveries are all so similarly bad that you find so difficult to sort them.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I don't think Falcon's recovery is that bad. Falcon kick in midair can help a lot, so does double Falcon Punch in far and up distance from the stage. He has better recovery than Donkey Kong or Ness.
Wrong, distance really isnt the main factor in recovering...

DKs third jump range is awesome, and simply because of that he is at least the same with him

Ness sux, that all people say...go prove something...

Peek~

Smash Lord
Pikachu
Mario
Kirby
Luigi
Jigglypuff
DK - Yoshi - Samus , lol i dunno. I guess in this order but its too close for me to call
Fox
Ness
Falcon
Link

There's a reason why ness has that asterisk next to his name on the tier list

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lol, Jigglypuff should be a lot higher. At first when compared to melee you would think that jiggs recovery sucks in this game. If you know how to use Jiggly's recovery RIGHT in this game, you can dodge almost all attacks and be able to make it back to the ledge. Other than being spiked Jigglypuff shouldn't be getting much lower than the ledge when knocked off, with her excellent horizontal recovery use mindgames to avoid attacks when coming back safely. Heck, I've played Malva and he couldn't stop me from getting back to the stage. Not saying hes bad so don't flame me lol, hes really really good and I'm just trying to prove that jigglypuff played at a high level can be tough to keep off.

amac22

Smash Apprentice
i think link should be higher with his boomerang and bombs it gives him great range

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Lol, Jigglypuff should be a lot higher. At first when compared to melee you would think that jiggs recovery sucks in this game. If you know how to use Jiggly's recovery RIGHT in this game, you can dodge almost all attacks and be able to make it back to the ledge. Other than being spiked Jigglypuff shouldn't be getting much lower than the ledge when knocked off, with her excellent horizontal recovery use mindgames to avoid attacks when coming back safely. Heck, I've played Malva and he couldn't stop me from getting back to the stage. Not saying hes bad so don't flame me lol, hes really really good and I'm just trying to prove that jigglypuff played at a high level can be tough to keep off.
Do you use pound? cause its slow and with a fast aerial char like pikachu shouldn't be that hard to edgeguard. Or maybe your great at avoiding. Plus her up+B is not so effective.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
this can be said for allmost every char, except for a few really poor recover...ers?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well, lets just put mario into this equation. I can back throw him and hit him with a couple of f airs and n airs and he won't be able to make it back. However I can't do this to Jigglypuff due to how she recovers. She can't be normally gimped.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Well, lets just put mario into this equation. I can back throw him and hit him with a couple of f airs and n airs and he won't be able to make it back. However I can't do this to Jigglypuff due to how she recovers. She can't be normally gimped.
lol i can do that too, with link when they go to edgegaurd me ill use my UpB right quick and hit them, so they cant get me, on the other hand if they are recovering i will throw my boomerang to hti them away so they cannot recover....makes link seem a lot better when you only use one example

Leech

Smash Journeyman
Link? he is the last one? eh i don't think so.. other then that was pretty good.. maybe move mario down one.. IMO. yeah it is pretty good.. i still think link should be higher.. just because his recovery.. and also i think it is better then mario's.. Link is good if you could use him.. i'd say put him mid tier.. but its your list not mine..

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Link? he is the last one? eh i don't think so.. other then that was pretty good.. maybe move mario down one.. IMO. yeah it is pretty good.. i still think link should be higher.. just because his recovery.. and also i think it is better then mario's.. Link is good if you could use him.. i'd say put him mid tier.. but its your list not mine..
LOL Link's recovery mid tier? Remember this is a listt of the recoveries from best to worst, not a tier list.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
I wud say

1 - Pikachu : He's a recovery god, 2nd hardest char to edgeguard imo.

2 - Kirby : First his up-b noise is annoying so it removes some concentration from the opponent who tries edgeguarding. Hardest char to edgeguard imo.

3 - Luigi : Epic down-b, fireball spam helps not being edgeguarded, high jumps and good Up-B.

4 - Jigglypuff : Regular B helps alot from far-away distances. He could be better but he cant get really high, but far he CANZ.

5 - Yoshi : Invincibility frames, good recovery, no up b but good second jump.

6. Samus : Good Up-B, hard to edgehog, down-b bomb poo is good for far recovery.

7. Mario : Good Up-B, (not-so) epic down-B, short jumps (compared to Luigi's).

8. Fox : His blaster can be tricky, if you don't wait him to put it back and you do Up-B, Fox will still laser. Easy to predict Up-B, but when you are in front of a wall, if the Fox is a recovery Genius, he can point Up-B in right-Up direction instead of Up (only if he's close to the edge).

9. Donkey Kong : Good Up-B, specially for combo breakers when far from the stage. But he can't go high with his Up-B, but can go far.

10. Captain Falcon : Very easy to predict Up-B. Bad recovery in general but Falcon Kick and Punch can help a lot in midair.

11. Ness : Easier to predict Up-B direction. Far recovery but alot of chance to miss (specially if your name is BHLMRO).

12. Link : *gets throwed by Pika at 52% and dies"

Top Bottom