• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Record of Main - Popularity Track List For 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelue

Smash Lord
Sonic's good qualities in 2.1 (in order)

Recovery<<<<<<Speed<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Matchup inexperience

He didn't magically poof to god tier.
You are delusional if you don't think that gaining half a dozen kill moves (ftilt, nair, dair, fair, forward b on spacies, up smash), safer tilts (all of them iirc), an extra way to the ground (variable speed dair), an extra mindgame/use on homing attack (blast attack), and more moves that don't autolose to everything isn't enough to make the fastest character in the game with the wacky playstyle and the godlike recovery into one of the best and most ridiculous characters.

Stop.

leelue

Smash Lord
Yeah one thing I don't like about this system is that someone like me (who plays 2 characters very well but is bringing up a third) is contributing far less per character than someone who is only playing one. There could be two of me in this thread but someone who only plays one character would make that character seem more popular

GMaster171

Smash Ace
I did have that thought as well, I didn't think too much on it yet tho. Any suggestions?

I chose my system because I didn't like how restrictive the old system was.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Thread link is in the OP but it collected data by having each person to choose a main, a secondary, and a tertiary character (one of each), and assigning a value for each. I had originally planned to do this, but got a bit lazy and went with the 1-10 scale.

Snu?

Smash Rookie
Maybe the scale should be bigger? Maybe 1-50? Or even 100? That way there's greater varieties in the amounts you can distribute a character. I know on my list (I play 7 characters in P:M, but had to combine Zelda and Sheik into 1) I ranked several characters with a 1 even though I play those one or two of those characters more often than another also ranked with 1.

leelue

Smash Lord
That doesn't solve the problem of one person having one main.

I think having an increasing number of points for every extra character you play could work. like, 8 for 1 character, and you get 2 more for each extra character you play.
10 for 2, 12 for 3, 14 for 4... And you can't vote more than 8 on a character

This has the serious upside of being able to split evenly 3 mains, since it's set on 12.

The one-main people get to have their vote count a lot, but the multimain people don't get **** on.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Huh, would have to get everyone who has posted here to redo their posts... idk if its really worth it at this point (I'm at 124 responses atm).

If people would be willing to, Id be all for adopting that system, it would level out the data (I noticed quickly after SB's post that working with this data would be silly). Up to you guys haha.

leelue

Smash Lord
Well, I say it's better to use half a good system than a bad one. Don't redo everyone's stuff and just add on to what you have. Even though I guess if you were going to burn the midnight oil, you could change the 1-main people since their votes would remain the same.

If you are going to remodel the system, allow me to be the first edit

Ganon 5
Snake 5
Game and Watch 2

GMaster171

Smash Ace
I do agree, guess Its time to overhaul the collection.

Update
As Leelue pointed out, and as I had realized, people who only play one character exclusively are causing the current data to be skewed.
eg. if 3 people play DK only, thats 30
if 10 people are comfortable with DK, that could also be 30. My current data collection method cant really differ between the two, but there is a huge difference between 3 people playing a character and 10.
So from now on, I'd like to ask that you refer to the OP and use the newer system, and update your current data (with a new post please) from now on.
Old data will not be discarded, but will be updated as we go along.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
First: The system in your OP is described wrong, you meant 6+2*[number of characters] or 8+2*[number of characters other than the first].

Second: Wouldn't it make more sense to just calculate the points differently so people don't have to repost their characters? E.g. points are calculated as 0.2(10x-0.5x²). Leelue's old vote would then result in 6.4 points each for Ganon and Snake and 3.6 points for G&W.

I mean, you could refine your formula to do almost everything you want without requiring new votes and depending on how you set up your data the only real drawback would be non integer numbers.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
It's not really crazy amounts of work, that's what I meant with "depending on how you set up your data". It's probably less work than retyping every entry with more than one character. I'd even be willing to set up a new document with another formula if that would be the only problem.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Calculations are nothing, I have all the data in Excel, which does everything for me.

I'm not the best at data management, so I just need something that is reasonable to give a view of how much people use characters.

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
Feel like I gotta update this to be:

Sheik - 5
Marth - 4
Captain Falcon - 1

I'll always have that pocket, suicidal, knee-crazy Falcon for the lulz.
OK, so now I'm updating this for the new system! It isn't much different:

Sheik - 6
Marth - 5
Captain Falcon - 1

Right now I'm working on my Zelda so I can comfortably switch on the fly, hopefully throw the opponent off a little.

I suspect this will change drastically when the rest of the cast gets added to the game. Meta Knight is one of my favorite video game characters and I had publicly proclaimed on here, before Brawl came out (and on a different account that I lost the info for...), that I would main him. Then of course he turned out to be a wh0re :( So I'll probably pick him back up in a big way once he's in P:M.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Well I never added any secondary's since last time. So only Marth for me still.

Marth - 8

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
New system update for BSL:

Mario: 6
DK: 5
Ganon: 1

Status