• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Record of Main - Popularity Track List For 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Update, refer to the second paragraph. Use this method now, and update your previous data with a new post when possible. Thanks!

Looking around, there have been multiple surveys, but none as simple as "who do you play". This was originally made in 2.1 by Ellondu on the old Smashmods forum here, and it was both interesting and informative, while remaining simple. I will be doing this one much like his was, but with one or two changes.

What you can do: Post in this thread with the following information: Your smash name, and list your characters with a value next to them. These values must add to 6+2 times the number of characters you play, with no character being over 8. When deciding the character you will list, please try to restrict it to characters you would be comfortable using seriously/in a tournament/competitive environment; eg. If you love using Zelda against people in friendlies, but would never touch her for anything serious, please refrain from listing her. Decimals will be accepted, but flat numbers are easier to use :). Finally, if you have two most used characters, try to label who you would consider to be your main.

Meaning;
1 character=8 points total
2 characters=10
3 characters=12
4 characters=14
And so on.

Example of new format:
GMaster171
Ness: 6 (main)
Wolf: 4
ZSS:2
Because I play 3 characters, the values must add to 6+3(2) or 12, and they do.

Now, using this data, I will compile two lists. One will be of mains only (the character with the highest value, or the one labelled as your main). This will serve to show only who the most popular main in the cast is currently. The second list will be one of overall popularity, adding the values from all positions on all the lists. This one will serve to show who is the most popular character in the cast overall.

If you need to edit what you have listed, please make another post instead of editing your old one. Characters obviously need to be available in the current demo, it doesn't matter how much you want to play Yoshi as this is a current popularity list. Posting info of others will be accepted, just make sure its accurate, as to not skew the data due to assumptions. Depending on how fast this goes, I will compile and list data either ever 25 or 50 submissions. This may not be overly useful for everyone, but it will still be an interesting list, and because I plan to do all the work, it wont take any more of your guy's time than needed :p

Tl;Dr post your name, and characters you use with values from 1-8 adding to a full 6+2 times the number of characters you play.

Hope this goes well, take 10s to post, tell your friends. If it seems I have stolen your idea in doing this, I apologize, but will continue (why would you complain about someone else doing the work?). Ellondu said he had planned to do one for 2.5, but I haven't seen him around, so... :)

Suggestions on stuff will be noted as well, first time I have compiled anything like this. Just tell me if anything is unclear and I will try to make it better.

Mains per Character:
Ganon – 9
Lucario – 6
Marth – 6
Donkey Kong – 5
Link – 5
Sonic – 5
Charizard – 4
Ike – 4
Lucas – 4
Peach – 4
Shiek – 4
Toon Link – 4
Zero Suit Samus – 4
Bowser – 3
Falco – 3
Ivysaur – 3
Squirtle – 3
Wario – 3
Wolf – 3
Zelda – 3
Captain Falcon – 2
Diddy Kong – 2
Luigi – 2
Mr Game and Watch – 2
Ness – 2
R.O.B. – 2
Fox – 1
Jigglypuff – 1
King Dedede – 1
Pikachu – 1
Pit – 1
Snake – 1
Mario – 0

Responses for everyone but Mario. If your friend mains Mario, get him to respond here, we could have one of every main recorded haha

Points per Character:
Ganon – 57
Marth – 57
Shiek – 46
Charizard – 44
Sonic – 44
Lucario – 43
Toon Link – 43
Link – 42
Ike – 41
Zero Suit Samus – 41
Ivysaur – 40
Lucas – 40
Peach – 36
Bowser – 35
Donkey Kong – 33
Wolf – 32
Captain Falcon – 31
King Dedede – 31
Snake - 29
Falco – 28
Wario – 28
Zelda – 26
Ness – 22
Squirtle – 22
Diddy Kong – 21
Luigi – 17
Mario – 17
Pit – 15
Fox – 14
Mr. Game and Watch – 13
R.O.B. – 12
Jigglypuff – 9
Pikachu – 9

We now have as many (more in fact) responses than the original thread had. This is amazing, and the data is actually very interesting. I do ask that you continue posting, yours if you just saw this thread, or others if you know their characters, as the more data we get, the better it will be. I will most likely update this more often now, as I know it will slow down after 100. I’m planning to do every 25 now. Couldn’t have done it without you guys, thanks again.
Update 2013-04-02: First list is created using 55 points of data. Keep it up guys :D
Update 2013-04-18: List revised with 104 points of data. Amazing, keep going.
Update 2013-04-24: Data collection process changed to somewhat prevent skewed data from mono-character players.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Up to date, 16 responses so far, going great :D

As a not, if you don't label your main specifically, I will use the highest value, then the first in the list.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
go big or go home baby! i love a lot of chars and mess around with a ton of them in friendlies, but i go DK 99% of the time in tournament.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'm with Strong Bad. I mess with some others in friendlies but always go Marth in tourney. Dude is too fun to be serious about others.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
It kinda surprises me how many people have characters they would use in tourney on rare occasion. Do these people train with said characters to stay good with them and under what circumstances would you use that character. Do you have so many characters to play the match up game?

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
It kinda surprises me how many people have characters they would use in tourney on rare occasion. Do these people train with said characters to stay good with them and under what circumstances would you use that character. Do you have so many characters to play the match up game?
Pocket Sheik, 'nuff said.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Demo v1
RIP real Marth: 10

Demo v2
RIP real Ike: 10

Demo v2.5
Stay alive Diddy: 10

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The first swipe of side-b was much more useful for wave-bouncing with, for reasons like it ending much sooner and stuff. So he could use it for his neutral game like you would with throwing out fairs, and for tons of stuff like cool Wavebounce regrabs on Spacies while doing a Chaingrab. He also had a very awesome slidyness of control like a raccoon from the Brawl/P:M hybrid physics going on, and at the t-i-m-e as much as I know Melee's landing detection is better he still could do cool stuff from the Brawl Landing detection giving his Dairs more usefulness as he could approach with them and stuff from platforms and end it much sooner by reaching the ground faster (they also lowered Dair's landing lag by 2 frames from Melee). The landing detection also allowed him to Waveland easier like his jumps could be less committed and you felt more in control rather than I jumped now I'm screwed for a few seconds if they do something. His Neutral B also had the slippery physics to slide off edges much easier.

I mean half the stuff of the engine killed what was a unique creature, into a c-h-a-r-a-c-t-e-r that people know and played for 10 years. Besides the physics changes killing him he could still have a side-b that was like v1 and could be more useful for wavebouncing, but no it has to be like Melee's.

Near the end of v1 I wanted to record all the cool stuff he could do that wasn't like Melee and stuff, but I never got the chance and didn't expect as much to be lost as it did. So when I knew Ike was going to get stripped I made sure to document all the stuff he could do while I was able to: which a lot of it doesn't apply anymore like I was guessing (Multiple Wjs, His platform aerials aren't safe for **** so it basically makes them useless (Fair also had it's range reduced so it can't hit below the platform which looked super cool), and his Moonwalk, and a lot more stuff).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uec-yfPgAaY&list=PLovBMkMLex7xhb2XjvWL1l40KnxhgwIrN

Here's the slippery neutral-b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4s0Y1_9ZBQ0#t=39s

He also had a slightly better ledge wavedash because of the slipperyness or landing detection or whatever, I mean you can still get close to it with the Melee one but I'm just saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4s0Y1_9ZBQ0#t=85s

Here's another video which doesn't show anything specific but you can kind of notice his slippery awesomeness, you can also witness the real Zelda: where you could actually move with her rather than sitting still and being this gay "I'm so powerful I just need to remain stationary and beat you with barely any button presses to show how dominating and wise I am" character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T75vJ_mSas

Like I said though these random videos can't portray everything I would liked to have shown, I even forgot half the stuff I would have wanted to record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom