• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recently Banned Stage Discussions

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Luigi's is worse due to circle camping.

Corneria's ceiling is like 30% lower than normal
Has a permanent wall...

Has ships that shoot at you when you can't see them

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
Alright, this will be my last attempt at a thread revival:

Your stages are Jungle Japes, Distant Planet, Norfair, Pictochat, Port Town Aero Drive, Green Greens, Pirate Ship, Skyworld, Summit, and Luigi's Mansion.

1. Out of these stages, which would you make legal and which would you keep banned?

2. Out of the stages that you'd allow, which would be starter and which would be CP?

3. Out of the stages that you'd allow, list them in order of priority (top="I want this now", bottom="I could live without it")

GO!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
0. Why even try to keep this thread alive?

1. From that list I'd definetly let Summit out. LM and Skyworld are.... well, I'd like to play more on them and then judge them.

2. FLSS

3. If it's about personal preference: Picto, JJs, Norfair, Ship, GGs, PTAD, DP.

I would only get rid of Summit (and Luigi's Mansion out of personal bias).

If we're not gonna FLSS, then they all might as well be counterpicks.

Pirate Ship, DP, Japes, Norfair, GGs, Picto, PTAD.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Japes, Norfair, Luigi's Mansion, Green Greens, Skyworld, Pirate Ship and maybe Distant Planet (I hate that stage though) in that order. All of 'em are definately CPs. Everything else should stay banned.

On a side note, I actually much prefer the more limited Japanese stagelist. However, by the standard of what's currently legal, these stages deserve to be legal too. If we're gonna have a diverse CP system, we may as well spread our wings.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink

Your stages are Jungle Japes, Distant Planet, Norfair, Pictochat, Port Town Aero Drive, Green Greens, Pirate Ship, Skyworld, Summit, and Luigi's Mansion.

1. Out of these stages, which would you make legal and which would you keep banned?

2. Out of the stages that you'd allow, which would be starter and which would be CP?

3. Out of the stages that you'd allow, list them in order of priority (top="I want this now", bottom="I could live without it")

GO!
I would keep Pirate Ship, DP, Norfair.

Skyworld's breaking floor mechanic ****S with alot of characters and extended hitboxes EVERYwhere is kinda dumb.

2. I could see none of these being starters.

3. Norfair, Pirate Ship, Dusant Planet.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

GO!
I would keep all of those stages banned and then ban more stages from the current stage list :V

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Norfair should probably stay banned. The stage layout allows for some camping near the degree of circle camping (just not as universal to the cast and not as much room to expand and exploit on this spacial retreating). The best strategy stagewise is to get the lead and find a way to run around safely. In the air, under platforms, under/through the stage completely, etc.

Summit will never be legal and there's no good reason to legalize it. Has a camping issue near approaching the degree of rampant circle camping. Being sent off to the fish is incredibly powerful/hard to deal with even if you escape his wrath.

Luigi's Mansion every single problem with the stage stems from the house. The stage would be perfectly fine without the house in the way. The house being present strengthens keep away games, and destroying the house isn't perfect since it will spawn again shortly (also comes at the cost of specifically taking time out of the match to destroy the house instead of fighting the other person, and at a certain point you're basically admitting to having to set aside any sense of gameplay in fairly frequent intervals to address an issue the stage brings up itself, that will not fix it in any lasting manner).

Green Greens is a bit iffy. Absolute requirement for this stage to even be up for consideration to be legal is ledge play regulated (even "weak" planking offenders get stronger here due to the multi edge layouts). The stage is absolutely atrocious in that manner even with MK banned. Now, under the context of a LGL for most/all/etc, it might be playable. Certain misinformation is spread about the stage, such as "Oh whenever the bomb glitch happens, you can simply airdodge through it" because there are different exploding glitches and hitbox lagging exploits. I've not done extensive testing on stopping it, but I came across 1 bomb glitch that seemed near impossible to stop (I think the only way to break it was to hit another bomb block that was in the same exact location as the one that originally glitched, BEFORE the glitch would set the new block off.) Airdodging, throwing projectiles or attacks or even people into it did not stop it, apples did not, etc. On another note, MK had some cool exploits on this stage but assuming he's banned that's nothing to worry about. 1 of them involved Uthrow putting you both under the stage and stage spiking/putting them in a bad spot. Others with shuttle loop and options off the edge.

Distant Planet only has 1 actual potential issue. The position near the end of the slope, that goes down under the leaf platform, is fairly powerful for many characters to stay in. It's a hard area to approach into safely and gives the person usually plenty of time to react in time to the other person's movements. For some characters, if you cannot keep up, it can turn into a semi circle of that position, top of the ledge, and the right side of the leaf platform. The walkoff IS NOT an issue or at least not a ban worthy one. Camping the end of this walkoff near the blastzone is also harder to pull off than normal walkoffs because besides Olimar (maybe tethers? Don't remember oh well who cares) your grabs will extend horizontal instead of traveling down the slope, making it harder to actually land the grab. It can be a better position to be in if you're dealing with a horizontal projectile user: Falco would have a much harder time lasering you endlessly if you are up there than if you were at the end of Bridge of Eldin for example. The pellets and rain are not much of an issue either. Again, the biggest issue is that position under the leaf platform at the lowest point of the slope walkoff, and characters that can maneuver safely from that position to other parts of the map while regaining that stronghold when needed.

Pirate Ship... idk. A lot of problems are temporary. Will probably bank on how much people like Water.

Skyworld has a semi/full circle for some characters and MU's camping problem. The stage, if the platforms were solid and unbreakable, would still be bad due to the platforms not being jump through in that kind of layout.

Pictochat would be acceptable if:

1. Clear warnings were given for a transformation coming (doesn't even have to specify the transformation about to take place for it to be ok)

2. More delayed start up or time period before everything drawn became active or walls became solid. Certain things are instant or near instant. That's a no-no, even if it's just a normally harmless wall that normally you could avoid or plan around given time/warning.

Pictochat being random and having effects that can be instant or near instant is bad. Some of the hazards are debatable, but again they would be much less troublesome with fair warning and the stage would probably be legal if this was the case.

Port Town overall is just a mess. It has a lot of unappealing stage facets that don't lead to good things. Cars that kill at pretty low % even on heavier characters is not a positive. The cars are usually given pretty fair warning, but that doesn't mean they are not a ridiculous hazard in themselves. Most "stops" on the track are very spacious, and the main moving platform missing edges is a con. There's no 1 universal quality of the stage that makes it seem banworthy (no edges in a lot of places might be close or most areas being very spacious, but everything is also shifting/semi temporary), however there's no redeeming quality of the stage either. Shifting from the main platform to an area that's large, but has cars coming, doesn't scream out "Great Stage" to 95% of people lol. Even when the platform stops in areas that are calm, you still tend to have large areas that don't promote fighting or being close to the other person, in fact many times if you are getting close to someone it's to avoid dying to the cars not to specifically duke it out hand to hand with the other guy. I would not have Port Town legal because I can't think of a positive or quality that can even come close to redeeming the cons.

Japes is interesting. Like Green Greens, the only shot this has is assuming ledge play is limited on a scale larger than MK+friends. With that in play, you have at best a coin flip for the stage to be legal depending on how much you dislike or how weak you think camping strategies are on this stage. The stage is fair sized horizontally, and massive vertically. Can give certain characters a massive amount of room vertically to run around (Wario being the main offender, MK second). Can give many characters advantages for camping certain zones depending on the situation. Characters not that great at approaching, can struggle to approach someone if they are forced to go airborne to meet them. The stage is broken up into 3 areas, and you have to jump float or basically move off the ground to get from 1 to the other. You can exploit this depending on MU and character and make it miserable for them to get near you. The Klap Trap is not an issue for the stage. Again, the main issue is that camping overall gets stronger, and that you can find silly MU's that turn this way specifically because the stage strengthens and/or gives different ways to camp (Many people don't know that Wario for example can literally ride his bike underwater, with options of getting out of the water soon, getting out normal, or getting out late, also depending on DJ and Upb usage you can change timings and locations. His case is pretty unique, but you have cases where camping under the stage can work, where camping and moving vastly upwards can work, where camping around edges ((without specifically grabbing them a ton)) can work, etc.)

Life

Smash Hero

GO!
1. Everything I said before > LM/Pipes > GGs > Picto > Skyworld > Summit.

I'd definitely not have the latter legal. I go back and forth on Picto and GGs. Skyworld... meh. Luigi's has a lot of Skyworld's problems but not nearly as badly (four pillars for twenty seconds with the whole thing down, versus, what, ten or so platforms for thirteen seconds apiece?). Pipes has a lot of Distant Planet's problems, but without the pellets and rain to mitigate them.

...You forgot Pipes.

There is no character with problematic ledge play besides MK. If there are two ledges? Try--GASP--grabbing the other one! (Where's that pic with MK/Ganondorf on FD versus the same matchup on Norfair?) Or, you know, spiking them, since they don't have MK's uair.

2. More starters is better, generally.

3. I pretty much just did.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There is no character with problematic ledge play besides MK. If there are two ledges? Try--GASP--grabbing the other one! (Where's that pic with MK/Ganondorf on FD versus the same matchup on Norfair?) Or, you know, spiking them, since they don't have MK's uair.
That's where you are wrong, because having edge clusters almost always (besides bad planking characters) benefits the planking character over the non planking character. Having another edge nearby DOES favor G&W Marth Pika Pit over the opponent. Using the edge as a tool against planking characters is both stronger when it's the single ledge (because they are forced to go to that specific edge or land onstage, where as if you grab the edge to the left of me I can still grab the edge to the right of me or do mixups for either edge/landing on either side of the stage) and also assuming your character itself has good tools.

As for the picture, it means nothing. Ganon in either spot is screwed. Why? Because even if he's on the lower platform and has access to MK after he drops from the edge, you would still have to factor in that MK would be invincible for a solid duration after letting go, and has more than enough variety to fend off Ganondorf before grabbing a different edge, going onstage, or even going back to the same edge. Being next to someone means nothing if they are invincible and are going to remain so for more than 5 frames lol.

Life

Smash Hero
That's where you are wrong, because having edge clusters almost always (besides bad planking characters) benefits the planking character over the non planking character. Having another edge nearby DOES favor G&W Marth Pika Pit over the opponent. Using the edge as a tool against planking characters is both stronger when it's the single ledge (because they are forced to go to that specific edge or land onstage, where as if you grab the edge to the left of me I can still grab the edge to the right of me or do mixups for either edge/landing on either side of the stage) and also assuming your character itself has good tools.
The second ledge gives you an opportunity to attack the opponent with an invincible aerial. That's pretty huge compared to "either hit with your dair or steal the ledge" because both of those require much less precision on the planker's part than the antiplanker's.

And if your character "has good tools" with which to combat planking, then why's it a problem? The characters that ordinarily don't have said tools are the relevant ones.

As for the picture, it means nothing. Ganon in either spot is screwed. Why? Because even if he's on the lower platform and has access to MK after he drops from the edge, you would still have to factor in that MK would be invincible for a solid duration after letting go, and has more than enough variety to fend off Ganondorf before grabbing a different edge, going onstage, or even going back to the same edge. Being next to someone means nothing if they are invincible and are going to remain so for more than 5 frames lol.
Nitpicking. Ganondorf is screwed pretty much anywhere. The pic is not about MK versus Ganondorf specifically; it is about planking with one ledge versus planking with multiple ledges in general (fake edit: well, fine, MK's planking, but it still applies to other characters). Didn't actually refute anything there, sorry.

Here's the problem with your argument. With multiple ledges in play, the nature of planking changes drastically. The benefit of planking is that the average character has very few options to hit somebody below the ledge, and that they have to time whatever option they do have very specifically relative to the planker's timing. The addition of a second ledge does very little to benefit the planker, as there's very little difference between going to the same ledge and going to the other ledge (mainly a timing/spacing difference). The antiplanker loses "steal the ledge" (which was meh to begin with, as that technically stops your opponent from planking but either puts you in a bad position or suggests planking yourself), but gains "invincible aerial from the other ledge"; in some cases, "wait for the hazard" (really, the planking on Japes, Norfair, and Pipes should be handled separately as the exact ledge conditions differ on all three, but this is already dragging on); and all of the options become safer for various reasons (Japes' water [if you can land far enough to the right in it], Norfair's lava, or Pipes' walls make it much more difficult to get gimped by the planker).

Sure, all those options *can* be beaten. Every legal option in this game can be beaten. The point is that those options are roughly on par with the options of the planker, ie. the strategy is not overpowered or banworthy on stages with multiple ledges close together. (The strength of planking with just one ledge is irrelevant, but I don't think it's broken either, bar MK obviously.)

---------------------------------------

Moreover, this is all theorycrafting anyway. Have we ever seen people try to plank on these stages IRL? (Not that it would matter, strictly speaking, as almost any video can be refuted just by saying "the other player wasn't doing it right". I'm just wondering.)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Something to take in mind is the people that are showing up at your tournaments. eg Whether the camping/stalling on Norfair is broken is debatable, but if nobody at your tournaments plays like that then you just have a stage with hazards, and the hazards are more than manageable.

I for one know that Norfair could very well be legal in my region, cause pretty much nobody in my region will camp/stall that hard.
You haven't seen the levels of ******** I can dish out.

Mostly because I try to deal them to you with Dedede and ZSS will have none of that.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway

You'd seriously consider those stages before Onett?

Wow.

You suck.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Because there's nothing wrong with Onett once you play on it.
Seriously, try using cars on your advantage when they force your opponents to move.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I am very liberal, but I'm not stupid. Onett is bad and you should feel bad. Being able to camp a walkoff with your opponent being forced to approach you from above is totally fair, right?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The cars allows many kinds of frametrap-ish stuff.

I'm not 100% into the stage, but I can't think of something really wrong with it.
I'd love to see more testings.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
First of all, 9000 walls, small blastzones, walkoffs are very near too and you can be safe at the walkoffs while your opponent has to take a huge risk to approach from above. It's like the worst stage without problems like circle camping.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Walls are not a problem -at all- as cars can stop any lock or infinite.
Blastzones aren't that small. Even if they are, that's not ban-worthy feature.
Walkoff camping, center camping, or any sort of ground camping is affected by cars (or at least, they help dealing with that). Even air camping is affected because the platforms fall after landing a couple times on them.

The dumbest thing I can think of is a Falco on the walkoff, pressuring people trying to approach from roofs with lasers and flying back and forth the buildings easily with phantasm while the opponent has to jump, then stop thier jumps with lasers, and trapping/****** them if they try an airdodge approach.

Hard theorycrafting here, but even with that, I wouldn't call it ban-worthy. Just very dumb.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Cars just get powershielded, they don't really do much. At best they will add extra 30% to every lock anyways, making them damn overpowered either way as the locker himself is able to jump out of the way or powershield.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
.... I do not like theorycrafting....
Most lock-able attacks have little hitstun. If the locker is able to scape, chances are that locked is able, too. We'd have to check frame advantage, which is also affected by the side you're facing to.
I'm not 100% onto the stage precisely because I'm not 100% sure of that info.

Anyway, I think there's two elements that add a different depth to the stage:
-Cars that force an action and allows several strategies around them.
-Roofs that let you retreat aerial approaches. The center-left one particulary is very low.

At least, that's how I see it.
Once again, I do not like theorycrafting. I'd like to extensively test this stage more.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Okay. So i was speaking with FGCU Viper about stages, since at my most recent tournament i had Distant Planet legal with 2 stage bans. Viper thinks that Jungle Japes should be legal over Distant Planet whereas i disagree because i feel that:

Japes has:

-Water, in which some characters can't get survive if entered upon certain sides.
-The Kroks that kill you and come in 10 second time intervals.
-A ridiculously high ceiling

Distant Planet has:
-A stage hazard that eats you if you enter it in the bottom corner or stand on top of the bug for too long.
-The water.
-Walk off.

With a system of 2 stage bans and you could choose one of these to make legal, which would you choose?

What would you think about Norfair, Picto or Pokemon Stadium 2 legal as well?
Now with MK banned alot of stages can be looked at differently.
Nah son. It's cuz he don't know them like dat.

He's mah boi now! I camp on top of him all day :pimp:

GODZEEEEELAAAAAAAAAAAA!

In order i'd do

Japes
DP
Norfair

Picto banned

Ps2 legal always bar japanese ruleset situation.

BSP

Smash Legend
There's nothing really wrong with Japes, but you WILL have campy matches on the stage. It's just what happens. You've got a safe, large middle platform with a platform above it for even more protection. If you camp the right side, characters must jump to pressure you.

Japes should be legal with what we have legal right now.

I don't like the walkoff on DP, but I guess it's not broken either. You COULD have it legal, but I won't be anytime soon.

Norfair- sigh, nothing broken, but it just depends on how much you want the stage to have an influence in the MU. I wouldn't have it legal.

Mansion - no, and many have explained why. The camping potential is just too large.

Picto - no, never lol

I want more focus on PvP than PvPvS. Some of these banned counterpicks could work, but when they're legal, we're leaning more towards a PvPvS game

Life

Smash Hero
No such thing as pure PvP in a Smash game.

Or any fighter, if you play fast and loose with what constitutes PSvPS. Street Fighter has, effectively, one stage--but that one stage still has walls that can be used to limit your opponent's options.

BSP

Smash Legend
I know what you guys are saying and I agree to an extent.

FD has PvPvs because MUs there will be different from MUs on Battlefield. But the stage can't actually hurt you, minimizing the s factor.

Now on stages like Brinstar, Norfair, and Pictochat "s" turns into "S" because the stage can actually play a part in putting % on you or killing you. I see this PvPvS as different from static stages with no hazard's PvPvs.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
FD can actually hurt you a lot. Having nowhere to run can only mean you are more likely to get ****ed up. It's a passive hazard. I don't see how Halberd is much worse than FD in that case.

BSP

Smash Legend
Halberd really isn't that bad

And yes, FD can "hurt" you, that's why I gave it a small 's'

:phone:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
(PvP)/S
imo
Did nobody read this?

It looks like I'm the only one seeing the game from a different point of view:
Stages are not interferring between two characters trying to fight. Instead, two characters are on a given stage that acts independently from them, having a fight on it.
If it has obstacles hard to deal with, or unique elements people are not used to, is just because the stage is like that and doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with it.
If it offers any advantage is a mere accident.

So, imo, as long as there is not a single tactic that can be abused to earn a victory, and/or changes the outcome of the match after happening, the stage should be allowed.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Now on stages like Brinstar, Norfair, and Pictochat "s" turns into "S" because the stage can actually play a part in putting % on you or killing you. I see this PvPvS as different from static stages with no hazard's PvPvs.
So I'm going to assume you mean YI too, right? Because it can do the same thing with saving % and saving you.

And then we have Frigate, where it can essentially be random what stage you play on.

Should I go on?

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
The thing about smash is that it is inherently PvPvS. If you want no stage interference, go play street fighter. If you think stage interference is ok, then that ought to include brinstar, RC, and the like.

BSP

Smash Legend
It also inherently has items on medium and uses time.

You don't see a difference between SV's interference and Brinstar's interference?

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
no, the game gives us the ability to turn off items and change to stock. It gives us the ability to choose not to use certain stages or characters. It does not give us the ability to remove stage interference. Every single stage interferes; that's the way smash is.

And in order to judge the difference between SV's interference and Brinstar's interference, you have to establish what they're interfering with. Maybe Brinstar is the "true" matchup, and SV is radically changing it by interfering differently. The problem with using the argument of "it interferes with the normal gameplay" is that there is no normal gameplay! Smash is a platform fighter, and it is inherently reliant on stages.

On Brinstar, G&W beats ICs, but if you go to SV, the ICs suddenly get a huge boost. Should we ban SV because it skews matchups?

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
I think PS2 should definetly be legal. The transformations happen but there is a bit of a warning before they do happen that and they don't drastically affect the result of a match it just feels gimmicky and not detrimental.

Norfair i'm on the fence with, even though I wanted Brinstar banned, Norfair doesn't seem as bad to me, but if it was kept banned i wouldn't argue if it was lega i wouldn't argue.

Japes.. no just no select wolf play Jaws theme spam side B and you'll get my point, It's too big and matches would take way too long, the only way people would early is from the klap trap coming randomly i know at the start it comes after about the 10 second mark but after that it seems to be random where it comes up and when. I don't mind being corrected on that last statement i haven't sat there with a timer and tested, but my main point with Japes banned is it's just too big.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Norfair i'm on the fence with, even though I wanted Brinstar banned, Norfair doesn't seem as bad to me, but if it was kept banned i wouldn't argue if it was lega i wouldn't argue.
The main question is why would you want any banned?
Japes.. no just no select wolf play Jaws theme spam side B and you'll get my point
Falco can do stuff here, too. But all of it is dealable. Just very annoying.
It's too big and matches would take way too long
Implying games do not take too long already.
the only way people would early is from the klap trap coming randomly i know at the start it comes after about the 10 second mark but after that it seems to be random where it comes up and when. I don't mind being corrected on that last statement i haven't sat there with a timer and tested, but my main point with Japes banned is it's just too big.
Always keep track of the timer. ALWAYS.
You will also notice the timer is not exactly 10 seconds, and as the match goes the mark might be slightly different after a while.

Top Bottom