• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reasoning behind Type Weakness/Resistance

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Let me see if I can get into this.

I would say that fighting beats steel because I've heard of people who are strong enough to bend girders of steel (well those guys probably had the conditioning their entire life). Since fighting types resemble humans the most, we are capable of bending metal things like paper clips and coat hangers and what not.

Also I would say that ice beats ground because in some areas, there IS permafrost. Like Russia, in some places it gets so cold that permafrost forms. So I would say that in a way, ice conquered the ground

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Anyone have a theory on why Flying > Fighting? This was a great idea for a thread.
A karate master will never be able to hurt someone flying in the air.

Unless of course the karate master knew how to fly as well, but since we have yet to see a Fighting / Flying Pokemon, I rest my case.

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I would say that since most fighting types resemble humanoids, we humans would normally have a hard time trying to reach someone in the air, which gives them the edge to destroy us....

IC3R

Smash Lord
That would make sense.

My take on the Bug vs. Psychic thing is that insects act nearly completely on instinct. They don't need to think to fight, so Psychic-types (who defend themselves with overwhelming will) aren't able to mess with the minds of insects.
I have a better explanation.

Have you ever tried meditating while covered in hungry ants? Bug > Psychic

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well there are people who have meditated on top of spikes and everything so I bet you that they can bear with a few bug bites

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
I actually thought the reasoning behind Flying beating Fighting was that the Japanese thought that aerial combat had an advantage over hand-to-hand fighting.

My interesting theory behind Psychic beating Fighting is the Japanese belief behind the mind being stronger than the body.

Ice beats Dragon becuase I suppose that Dragons are cold blooded reptiles, and are not accustomed to living in cold environments (anyone see any reptiles in the North Pole?). This might also explain the resistance to Fire, since many lizards live in the extreme heat of the desert.

The Ghost and Normal mechanic is simple, yet kind of cool. Think about it: ghosts go through things. A Normal-type is a basic animal being with no elemental fixation, and most Normal-types are mammalian pokemon. Humans are mammals, too. So, if a ghost punched you, you would not feel anything because he's ectoplasm, not solid; his punches go right through you and your punches go right through him. No one gets hurt. So it kind of makes sense that anything but normal attacks can hit ghosts.

JOE!

Smash Hero
MY 2 cents on the Dark-Psi-FIghting triangle:

Dark = The Evil force, the big bad, etc. The villain allways is able to overpower the Wizard in the story, yet allways falls to the valiant hero.

Psi = The Wizard, Obi Wan, etc. The Wizard has powerful magic, and uasually aids the hero on his quest, after a usually humerous scene where the Wizard displays how powerful he is to the hero's astonishment.

Fight = The Hero. Using their pure skill, the hero allways triumphs over the cheating, dirty tactics of the villain. They fall before the wizards power however

/starwarsreferances

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I finally got a brainblast over Ice>Psychic

Have you ever eaten an ice cream and gotten brain freeze? Well what if psychic pokemon get brain freeze everytime they get blasted by Ice Beam? That could be the reason for Ice>Psychic

Mewter

Smash Master
Gamefreak probably gets all their ideas from food.

How cheesey.

UberMario

Smash Master
Except Sneasel is also part Dark, and thus is immune to Psychic attacks.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm not saying that nothing hit Sneasel because it DID get hit, but every time I used Ice Beam on every single one of his pokemon it said that it was "Super Effective"

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Did you not suddenly find yourself walled by his Jynx and Slowbro? The reason you were hitting his Pokemon super-effectively is half his team (Xatus and Exegguttor) is part weak to Ice. Psychic isn't weak to Ice.

WouW

Smash Lord
Will's two Xatu and Exeggutor both have a secondary type that are weak to ice. The other two, Slowbro and Jynx, both resist ice.

Maybe you got confused by that.

EDIT:Ninja'd

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
*headdesks*

I forgot flying was weak to ice >_<

I knew about Exeggutor and used Magmortar on it (I had a Magmortar on my team back in those days...)

I used Raikou on Slowbro

I used Typhlosion on Jynx

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I always thought that since Dragons are kinda like Dinosaurs, they freeze into the ice and get preserved which makes them bad against Ice O:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I thought that since Dragons are reptiles, the cold blood makes them hibernate which would be a reason why Dragons are weak to Ice

Mewter

Smash Master
No.

@Roacherman: I thought you were just listing an idea for an additional, hypothetical, type match-up (Ice > Psychic)?

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
MY 2 cents on the Dark-Psi-FIghting triangle:

Dark = The Evil force, the big bad, etc. The villain GANON allways is able to overpower the Wizard Zelda in the story, yet allways falls to the valiant hero (Link).

Psi = The Wizard, Obi Wan ZELDA, etc. The Wizard ZELDAhas powerful magic, and uasually aids the hero on his quest, after a usually humerous scene where the Wizard displays how powerful he is to the hero's astonishment always makes Link come save her.

Fight Courage!= The Hero, LINK. Using their pure skill courage, the hero allways triumphs over the cheating, dirty tactics of the villain. They fall before the wizards Zeldapower however

/starwarsreferances
/thelegendofzeldareferences

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok I think I have a reason why Fighting is not very effective against Grass.

Have you ever tried pulling out a weed by hand but you can't? Well it could be the situation for these fighting types...

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Ok I think I have a reason why Fighting is not very effective against Grass.

Have you ever tried pulling out a weed by hand but you can't? Well it could be the situation for these fighting types...
You're thinking of Grass/Poison types.

Fighting is neutral against Grass. Not very effective v. Poison, though.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ground is resistant against Poison probably because of erosion theories? I don't know, I haven't done ecology yet in AP Bio.

But what about Bug - Ghost?

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
Well, the ground can contain radon gas and other poisonous stuff, so venom like that shouldn't be able to hurt it much.

And real life logic doesn't apply to Pokemon! :laugh:

Mewter

Smash Master
Well, of course only some of the obvious stuff.
Everything else is thrown out the window.

Nitpickers. :p

Arcade

Smash Ace
I saw UberMario's list and it looked pretty solid. I want to make some suggestions on the ones you weren't sure about.

Here's my thinking on Poison -/-> Ground:

1. Ground types tend to have tough skins, shells, exoskeletons, etc. To inject a poison or burn with acid you need to get past that tough layer first.

2. They also may be able to hold their breath for a long time so they can tunnel underground. Moves like Poison Gas are probably ineffective because of that. (Guybrush Threepwood is probably immune to poison)

Ground may be >>> Poison because they can't secret liquid or gas poison if they're covered in mud. All the dust and sand kicked up may interfere with the release of gaseous poison like it clogs up your car's AC. And maybe all the dirt covering the Poison type triggers the release of poison from its spines (like how the tentacle of a jellyfish stings automatically when touched), wasting the poison.

For Dark >>> Psychic, I see it as the Dark type resorting to cunning, gimmicky, underhanded tactics that the goody-two-shoes Psychics always fall for.

For Dark -/-> Dark, sneaky underhanded tricks don't work too well when your opponent knows and uses the same tricks.

Rock >>> Flying: Birds have hollow bones and are frail in general. Even one glancing blow from something like a rock will take a bird out. However, Steel is normal against Flying because it's heavier and harder to swing or throw effectively.

I still don't understand Psychic >>> Poison. I would get it if Poison was -/-> Psychic (painful/numbing poisons are not effective against someone with a strong will and can fight even when his body can't move), but that's not the case.

By the way >>> means super effective and -/-> means not very effective, but you know that by now.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
rock>flying

"kill 2 birds with one stone"

i mean, does it have to go more in depth than that

Top Bottom