• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read this topic if you're dumb. Yes you, the one that thinks 35 characters is too few

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
35 characters or not, this whole incident definitely proves people need a reality check. There's a good chance your pet character isn't going to make it, whoever it is.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
"35 character roster is just a clever hoax based on the fact that people are afraid to be disappointed when they find out the game has less characters than they initially expected.

That's the sole reason they support this 35 character roster. Either they're right, or they get a pleasant surprise in the form of even more characters. To these close-minded people it's a win/win situation."
QFT

LeuMasT said:
"35 characters or not, this whole incident definitely proves people need a reality check. There's a good chance your pet character isn't going to make it, whoever it is."
Silence fool! I KNOW Pichu is coming back! I don't care what you say! Your wrong!
She/He/It was amazing. I don't care about what you say because... Your wrong!
[/sarcasm]

It would be nice if Ridley or Krystal is in but meh. I'm not making the game.
35 characters is fine but I'd rather have more.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Yes, yes he is.

Just ignore him, he's just looking for attention, and probably gets off on deliberately attacking other people for his own self gain.

He doesn't have any good arguments, he just gets a sense of rush at trying to debunk good ones and make other people look stupid.

Unfortunately for him, he fails miserably.
Whatever you say "Smash Lord." I haven't attacked anybody, mostly other people attacking me because I use evidence over speculation and "b-b-but sakurai wouldn't do that!!" :psycho:

But please, think about this:

Mario
Yoshi
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Wario
Link
Young Link
Zelda (Zelda)
Zelda (Sheik)
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
(PT) Squirtle
(PT) Ivysaur
(PT) Charizard
Lucario
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
(Samus) Power Suit Samus
(Samus) Zero Suit Samus
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Fox McCloud
Falco Lombardi
Wolf O'Donnell
Captain Falcon
Ness
Lucas
Ike
Marth
Pit
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Olimar & Pikmin
R.O.B. the Robot
Sonic the Hedgehog
Solid Snake
Nobody can look at that and say that this isn't a full lineup. You can complain about third-party characters or characters the size of rooms or obscure fan-favorite characters from obscure games not getting in, but seriously, what the hell.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Whatever you say "Smash Lord." I haven't attacked anybody, mostly other people attacking me because I use evidence over speculation and "b-b-but sakurai wouldn't do that!!" :psycho:

But please, think about this:

Nobody can look at that and say that this isn't a full lineup. You can complain about third-party characters or characters the size of rooms or obscure fan-favorite characters from obscure games not getting in, but seriously, what the hell.
Right, where's your evidence? And for the second part:

Nobody can look at a lineup I just pulled out of me a** and that it isn't the full lineup. You can complain about third-party characters or characters the size of rooms or obscure fan-favorite characters from obscure games not getting in, but seriously, what the hell.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
35 characters or not, this whole incident definitely proves people need a reality check. There's a good chance your pet character isn't going to make it, whoever it is.
Well my two most wanted are Krystal and Ridley, so really there is no reason they shouldn't be in. Even though I want Ridley more, I'm gonna have to say Krystal even more so than him.

She's been popular since day 1
The 35 char roster has 3-4 star fox reps, I doubt Wolf would realistically get in over Krystal but some people are saying it's supposed to be ROB from star fox? Sakurai isn't stupid he knows what the fans want, this is a game for the fans.

Has anyone considered that maybe the two people are doing this for laughs? I mean they know they are credible, so they knew a lot of people would believe them. As for the banning, if they are as well known and accurate as people say, they probably could have easily gotten the MODs to help them with this little prank. I mean, if the ROB on their list is the ROB from star fox that's pretty much telling us this is a joke.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
This is not an RTS game, balancing individual fighters is far more easy than balancing what? 40 units per faction? and then balance them so that thei're not weak or stronger and still retain thei're originality from the other series, the balance argument means nothing.

Also, no one is angry at 35 characters, but at who are those characters, and even then it's incredibly stupid that after 2 years of development and after the hype, all we get are 35, didn't nintendo say an "insane amount" of characters would be in the game?

The number is not insane, but it surely is driving people insane. Also, what's more stupid is that the most popular characters are the ones being ignored, ok, not all of them, Ike, Diddy, Dedede, Olimar and Sonic got in but why only them? If the roster is real then ****, what has Sakurai been doing over the past 2 years?

And don't give me, the "there are more things than characters to add to the game" crap, what where the modelers and animators doing in all this time? This Roster is so annoying, still, somethings don't fit, so i expect it to be fake.

Have you ever created a game? I am making one right now and I can tell you there is more to the **** thing than you could imagine.

Everything from watching framerate, ui, menu intuitiveness, character animations, clipping issues, and other things need to be taken into consideration.

Game creators don't work 24 hours a day. They don't just exist for your freaking pleasure. They have lives, and they also don't go to your job and tell you that the hamburger you're flipping is going to SUCK because the ingredients aren't the ones THEY wanted, or there aren't enough!

If. you. don't. like. it. Don't. Buy. It!

Sorry, but after working on the inner guts of a commercial level video game myself, I CANT STAND this ****ing arrogance.

And by the way, balancing is hard for EVERY GAME. unless you're making chess, or table football, balancing is an intangible, amorphous pain in the rectum.

The only way to truly balance is thousands of hours of testing gameplay, and every change you make has to be tested just as thoroughly.

There is no mathematical function for difficulty of balancing based on character number, because as I said it's very nuanced.

However, for me at least, it has proven to be closer to exponential than linear.

I guess I'm ranting, but god, this pisses me off.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Right, where's your evidence? And for the second part:

Nobody can look at a lineup I just pulled out of me a** and that it isn't the full lineup. You can complain about third-party characters or characters the size of rooms or obscure fan-favorite characters from obscure games not getting in, but seriously, what the hell.

I'll be looking for your apology when this is confirmed.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Whatever you say, just keep saying "no u," and I'm sure it'll somehow nullify the fact that reputable people are saying these things and that they correspond perfectly with information from proven leakers and Nintendo themselves. :chuckle:

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Whatever you say, just keep saying "no u," and I'm sure it'll somehow nullify the fact that reputable people are saying these things and that they correspond perfectly with information from proven leakers and Nintendo themselves. :chuckle:
Show your sources and this bickering will stop, then I could actually prove you wrong decently.

Anihawk

Smash Rookie
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9428199&postcount=1692

"Wait is that a response to the topic I was trolling people with?
I bet it is.

*goes to look*"

lock this thread.

the thread creator admits that he's an ******* loser troll from neocrapf in that link.

and you should go like shut up crushed. ignore him. he's like a reject from a message board so he has nothing better to do. just read that thread. he's laughing at all of us for wanting the dream game to actualize our dreams

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace

I bet it is.

*goes to look*"

lock this thread.

the thread creator admits that he's an ******* loser troll from neocrapf in that link.

and you should go like shut up crushed. ignore him. he's like a reject from a message board so he has nothing better to do. just read that thread. he's laughing at all of us for wanting the dream game to actualize our dreams
Wow, that's sort of funny.

raul

Smash Lord
Are we really going to be that made if it is only 35? I mean we got everything we wanted in this game:

1.) More characters
2.) 3rd party characters
3.) Online play
4.) Awesome 1 player in the SSE
5.) Better graphics
6.) Stage builder
7.) Co-op play
8.) the list goes on

Anybody that moans about only 35 should be drowned in the fires of hell.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice

I bet it is.

*goes to look*"

lock this thread.

Why did you steal Anihawk's name from NeoGAF? :laugh:

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
No, that's bull****. Who the hell is this guy to pretend he knows people and their expectations better than themselves ?
Eh merde. The individual in question observed how people on the boards acted and responded to various posts. This served as the foundation upon which he constructed his theory on how Smash Board posters construct society. He then criticized the underlying assumption of said society, in an effort to reveal the truth. Judging by your response, its working.

On the other hand... Maybe he's just some an idiot sitting in a chair telling people how to think.
If thats the case then any "QFTs" awarded to him are not merited and he is just as bad as the rest of us.

Finally, you have no warrant behind your statement. Usually, individuals actually do not know what they want. Why do you think people go to psychologist on such a regular basis? A lot of "mental illnesses" stem from the fact that people don't truly know themselves. (and therefore what they want)

Just my two cents on the posts I read. I never have original ideas, if anyone has noticed.

Back to the subject at hand... I don't understand why everyone immediately assumed the 35 roster must have ROB and Wolf. Why can't it be someone else? Why can't the leakers be right on the number but off on the characters? I think that might please most Ridley and Krysal fanboys/girls.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dang it! Listen to Firestorm. He wrote out a good few paragraphs explaining the supposedly leaked roster, and you guys just ignore him, then argue with him with your freaking babbling. "OMGZ GENO ND RIDLEE NAWT GONA B IN TEH GAIM"

I really want Geno in, but if he's not in, I'm not gonna kill myself. I really want Sukapon in, but if he's not in, I'm not gonna cry, cut myself, and put Simple Plan posters up on my wall. Don't you guys see? This is almost EXACTLY what happened with the Melee roster leak. You guys couldn't believe all of that, but when you played Melee, it was so fun, you forgot about all those issues.

Oh, and ROB a completely nonsensical choice? Mr.Game&Watch says hi.
You pretend that people are complaining about how only one of their favorite characters didn't make the cut but you're not listening. If this roster ends up being true, MOST smash fans got the shaft. That's what makes it different from Melee. Allow me to point out some of the unlockable characters in Melee:

Marth-Most voted for character in the Fire Emblem category.
Falco- Most voted for character in the Star Fox category.
Ganondorf- Most voted for character in the Zelda category.
Young Link- Second most voted for character in the Zelda category.
Mewtwo- Most voted for character in the Pokemon category.

Now for Brawl:

Sonic-Most voted for character in the Third Party category.
Lucario-Most voted for character in the Pokemon category.
Wolf- Assumed to be the second most voted for character in the Star Fox category. (Because we all know that Krystal blew him out of the water.)

See a difference? I certainly do. The unlockable roster consists mainly of characters from the past games and people they "forgot" to add in Melee like Sonic, Snake, and Wolf and that's what makes it so unimaginative and terrible.

Also comparing ROB to Mr. Game and Watch is terrible all in itself. Mr. Game and Watch was essentially Nintendo's first mascot, was virtually unknown, and very important to Nintendo for a plethora of reasons. ROB was an unlockable character in Mario Kart DS two years ago and the only factor he has going for him noglastia. He was basically a tool and it's difficult to call him the "star" of his respective titles.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Sonic-Most voted for character in the Third Party category.
Lucario-Most voted for character in the Pokemon category.
Wolf- Assumed to be the second most voted for character in the Star Fox category. (Because we all know that Krystal blew him out of the water.)
So Pit, Wario, Olimar, Lucas, those guys don't count.

Anihawk

Smash Rookie

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
Finally, you have no warrant behind your statement. Usually, individuals actually do not know what they want. Why do you think people go to psychologist on such a regular basis? A lot of "mental illnesses" stem from the fact that people don't truly know themselves. (and therefore what they want)
Because they're f'd up in the head, but that has nothing to do with me. I'm a sane person. The point is, if someone doesn't know what they want, then no one at all does.

Reyairia

Smash Champion

I bet it is.

*goes to look*"

lock this thread.

Woot, debunked!

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Crushed, where's your sources? I'm still waiting.
Read the whole thread on NeoGAF. MarkMan and Reno are reliable. Moderators who know things are backing them up instead of banning them (which is what would happen if they were found to be just ordinary people with no access to info). They're long-standing members with proven connections betting their accounts on their validity. Their information corresponds perfectly with the proven "prophets."

I've tried telling you this, but you continue to ignore it.

Woot, debunked!
Yes, people on Smashboards have accounts on other forums. That sure debunks reliable information.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Hope this isn't a double post. SmashBoards has been wonky the last month or two.
---

I didn't mean troll in the full sense that I'm kidding. I'm definitely not kidding. I meant troll in the fact that I knew about 50% of the posts would be "omg i hat u". However, I do fully believe that people complaining are spoiled, whiny children. Comparing the replies to this topic with the ones I'm seeing in the topic about "Iwata Asks" it's obvious there's two types of Smash fans here:

1. The ones buying the game due to the characters
2. The ones buying the game due to the gameplay

The ones buying the game for the characters are the ones who are going on and on about how their favourite character is left out. The ones buying it for the gameplay seem to be pretty content with the roster we're getting.

Also, whether or not MarkMan and Reno are correct are completely irrelevant to this discussion. This is about the reaction to 35 characters. I guess it's also the response to the proposed roster.

And hi fatmanonice! I'm a very pleasant person when not on forums with whiny children. It's just that you've only ever seen me on NSider and this board.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Pit, Wario, Olimar, Lucas, those guys don't count.
Notice how I said unlockable... Pit, Wario, and Metaknight don't count either because they were revealed before the offical Brawl poll was done shortly after E3 2006. Come to think of it, King Dedede, the Pokemon Trainer, and Diddy Kong shouldn't count either because of their high standings in the Melee poll and there's strong evidence that Sakurai used these results for Brawl as well.

King Dedede: Most requested Kirby character and fourth most requested character overall.

Diddy Kong: Third most requested character in the Rare category.

Pokemon Trainer: Third most requested character in the Pokemon category. (Mew was the second most popular choice.)

Metaknight: Third most requested character in the Kirby category. (A random Kirby helper was the second most popular choice.)

Wario: Third most requested character in Mario category. (Behind Bowser and Peach, respectively.)

Pit: Only had five votes but, in retrospect, the Ice Climbers only had four.

With them out of the way, you have Ike, Lucas, and Captain Olimar; all characters in the starting roster. Do you see what I'm getting at? Why bother having a poll if you're going to have your head stuck 6 years in the past anyway? (Oh, by the way, Sakurai did mention interest in replacing Ness with Lucas for Melee way back when so that technically brings it down to two.)

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Ok. Again, unless we're talking about something else that I'm completely unaware of, that list people are using was not a poll. It was just a compilation by GameFAQs of the characters that showed up in the submissions published on the Japanese Dojo. They could have easily been picked by random for publishing.

Hopefully Sakurai will not ask for user input next time as all it does it make people go nuts.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Thats one fine rant my friend ya i could easily see 35 as the final roster i was expecting any where between 35-40 35 being the more likely 40 being the least but either way I'm good because that still a nice few new characters.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Thats one fine rant my friend ya i could easily see 35 as the final roster i was expecting any where between 35-40 35 being the more likely 40 being the least but either way I'm good because that still a nice few new characters.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Read the whole thread on NeoGAF. MarkMan and Reno are reliable. Moderators who know things are backing them up instead of banning them (which is what would happen if they were found to be just ordinary people with no access to info). They're long-standing members with proven connections betting their accounts on their validity. Their information corresponds perfectly with the proven "prophets."

I've tried telling you this, but you continue to ignore it.
"This guy said this, and this other random guy said this.." isn't exactly undeniable proof. Where's the perfect corresponding with Nintendo proof..?

..and that they correspond perfectly with information from proven leakers and Nintendo themselves. :chuckle:

Meloche

Smash Rookie
Notice how I said unlockable... Pit, Wario, and Metaknight don't count either because they were revealed before the offical Brawl poll was done shortly after E3 2006.

[rest of post removed for length]
Why does it matter if characters are unlockables or not? If the starting roster was Mario, Kirby, Link, and Pikachu and then you had to unlock the rest would that be better? WOW 31 unlockables alright!!!

A lot of the complaining seems to be along the lines of 'well this would mean that we're only getting 3 more new characters!' If you guys are so concerned about keeping everything secret, why were you checking the Dojo every night -- how could they have possibly had daily weekday updates for nearly a year without covering most of the content in the game? I'm willing to bet that those same people who are complaining about having seen everything already are the same people who complained all through November about how 'boring' the updates had become and there should have been more character updates. And don't tell me that you were going to just check the Dojo for a little while then go clean until launch so that you wouldn't see the hidden characters, because I'm not buying that crap; not in a topic about leaked rosters, no less.

If you're disappointed with 35 characters, then it's your fault. It's your fault for getting yourself hyped to the point that there was no possible way for the game to come out and meet your expectations. Are there a few duds in the game, sure there are. It's unfortunate that Wolf, ROB, and Sonic had to get in, but hey what are you going to do. Because that's just it: no matter what character you pick outside of the original few, there are people who don't want to see those characters in Brawl. I didn't want Geno, or Krystal, or Bowser Jr, or Sonic, or Daisy in Brawl, but I know that there are a lot of people who do. Learning to accept and deal with things you may not like is reality, kids. Really, good luck in society if you're going to throw a tantrum just because Smash Bros doesn't have as many characters as you hoped it would.

If you need me, I'll be having a blast fighting with Olimar on all the custom stages I'll be building. (ps. hi firestorm and crushed)

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
MELEE
- 14 characters on the starting roster (four newcomers: Peach, IC, Bowser, Zelda/Sheik)
- 11 unlockable characters (three complete newcomers, two from 64, and six "clone" characters, who were added due to there being extra development time)

BRAWL
- 21 characters on the starting roster (nine newcomers: Diddy, Pit, Metaknight, PT, Ike, Dedede, Wario, Olimar, Lucas. That's also not including ZSS.)
- 14 unlockable characters (5 complete newcomers: Sonic, Snake, Wolf, ROB, Lucario)
- In addition, of the many characters returning from Melee, only Young Link, Ness, Falco and possibly Marth could potentially be "clones" of other characters. It's likely that they will be "Luigified" clones, who have similar-but-not-the-same moves to their related characters. That's still less clones than melee.

So in comparison to Melee, we're getting 10 more characters than the last game, 14 of which are complete newcomers, and only four have the potential to be clones. This is at the cost of Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Pichu and Roy (three clones and one unique character.)

I don't know about you, but I say we're getting a pretty decent upgrade. Quit complaining.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why does it matter if characters are unlockables or not? If the starting roster was Mario, Kirby, Link, and Pikachu and then you had to unlock the rest would that be better? WOW 31 unlockables alright!!!

A lot of the complaining seems to be along the lines of 'well this would mean that we're only getting 3 more new characters!' If you guys are so concerned about keeping everything secret, why were you checking the Dojo every night -- how could they have possibly had daily weekday updates for nearly a year without covering most of the content in the game? I'm willing to bet that those same people who are complaining about having seen everything already are the same people who complained all through November about how 'boring' the updates had become and there should have been more character updates. And don't tell me that you were going to just check the Dojo for a little while then go clean until launch so that you wouldn't see the hidden characters, because I'm not buying that crap; not in a topic about leaked rosters, no less.

If you're disappointed with 35 characters, then it's your fault. It's your fault for getting yourself hyped to the point that there was no possible way for the game to come out and meet your expectations. Are there a few duds in the game, sure there are. It's unfortunate that Wolf, ROB, and Sonic had to get in, but hey what are you going to do. Because that's just it: no matter what character you pick outside of the original few, there are people who don't want to see those characters in Brawl. I didn't want Geno, or Krystal, or Bowser Jr, or Sonic, or Daisy in Brawl, but I know that there are a lot of people who do. Learning to accept and deal with things you may not like is reality, kids. Really, good luck in society if you're going to throw a tantrum just because Smash Bros doesn't have as many characters as you hoped it would.

If you need me, I'll be having a blast fighting with Olimar on all the custom stages I'll be building. (ps. hi firestorm and crushed)
There you go talking down to me as if I'm pissing and moaning for the fact that Geno might have not made the cut. No, I'm angry because I'm far from the only person who got the shaft in this deal. Really, it's not a matter of my expectations being met but the basic expectations of most people in general. I speak on behalf of those that have come to forums like this on a nearly daily basis since Brawl was offically announced. I speak on behalf of those who's most basic character expectations are not going to be met. I speak on behalf of those who saw this as the last oppurtunity for certain characters to be playable for almost a decade. I speak on behalf of those that made petitions, wrote letters, and went to the conferences and expos.

I feel like I've been lied too because the roster is so horrifically unimagiative (that's the real issue) despite how Brawl's development was longer then Twilight Princess's and Super Mario Galaxy's and almost three times longer then Melee's. Like I said, months from now, Sakurai's going to tell us that "they ran out of time" and that "they just didn't have the man power, etc." You create 1001 Assist Trophies but didn't have time to create a 40 seperate character roster that features character that weren't just left over ideas from Melee? You have an entire building built for the development of the game and 700 people who played a hand in the development in the game and can only come up with 5 completely original unlockable characters? (Wolf, Sonic, Snake, Lucario, and ROB) You tell the fans that this game is fan driven and the most talented people from all the spans of video game history are going to be working on the game and can only muster up 2 more unlockable characters then Melee had? You delay the game not once but twice (technically three times) and expect them to be happy with such a subpar roster? Don't even get me started on the sheer injustice of being able to come up with a moveset for something like ROB but draw a complete blank when it comes to people like Lyn, Stafy, Demille, Little Mac, etc...

Oh yes, I understand prefectly how society works. I know that there are children that go to bed hungry at night, good people die, and that Britney Spears is allowed to reproduce but this hardly fans out to encompass society, ethics, and philosophy. This is about a video game. An electronic toy, if you will. A product of which was promised to be made for the fans, by the fans and that's hardly the case. I'm a consumer and I'm dissatisfied because I can already see myself encountering the same problems I had with Melee: experiencing deja-vu all too often because of lack of variety when it comes to the characters. Keep in mind that this game is supposed to last us for another 7-8 years and I'm sure 90% of the people who play online will use Sonic as it is...

But like I said to Firestorm, this will all come off as whining so why do I bother explaining myself anyway? This will all come off as a "temper tantrum" and I'll be made the fool simply because I'm not willingly bending over and taking it like a guy who dropped a jar of pennies in a Turkish Bath.Is it futile? Obviously but it's been a long journey and I definately have Jet-lag...

raul

Smash Lord
There you go talking down to me as if I'm pissing and moaning for the fact that Geno might have not made the cut. No, I'm angry because I'm far from the only person who got the shaft in this deal. Really, it's not a matter of my expectations being met but the basic expectations of most people in general. I speak on behalf of those that have come to forums like this on a nearly daily basis since Brawl was offically announced. I speak on behalf of those who's most basic character expectations are not going to be met. I speak on behalf of those who saw this as the last oppurtunity for certain characters to be playable for almost a decade. I speak on behalf of those that made petitions, wrote letters, and went to the conferences and expos.

I feel like I've been lied too because the roster is so horrifically unimagiative (that's the real issue) despite how Brawl's development was longer then Twilight Princess's and Super Mario Galaxy's and almost three times longer then Melee's. Like I said, months from now, Sakurai's going to tell us that "they ran out of time" and that "they just didn't have the man power, etc." You create 1001 Assist Trophies but didn't have time to create a 40 seperate character roster that features character that weren't just left over ideas from Melee? You have an entire building built for the development of the game and 700 people who played a hand in the development in the game and can only come up with 5 completely original unlockable characters? (Wolf, Sonic, Snake, Lucario, and ROB) You tell the fans that this game is fan driven and the most talented people from all the spans of video game history are going to be working on the game and can only muster up 2 more unlockable characters then Melee had? You delay the game not once but twice (technically three times) and expect them to be happy with such a subpar roster? Don't even get me started on the sheer injustice of being able to come up with a moveset for something like ROB but draw a complete blank when it comes to people like Lyn, Stafy, Demille, Little Mac, etc...

Oh yes, I understand prefectly how society works. I know that there are children that go to bed hungry at night, good people die, and that Britney Spears is allowed to reproduce but this hardly fans out to encompass society, ethics, and philosophy. This is about a video game. An electronic toy, if you will. A product of which was promised to be made for the fans, by the fans and that's hardly the case. I'm a consumer and I'm dissatisfied because I can already see myself encountering the same problems I had with Melee: experiencing deja-vu all too often because of lack of variety when it comes to the characters. Keep in mind that this game is supposed to last us for another 7-8 years and I'm sure 90% of the people who play online will use Sonic as it is...

But like I said to Firestorm, this will all come off as whining so why do I bother explaining myself anyway? This will all come off as a "temper tantrum" and I'll be made the fool simply because I'm not willingly bending over and taking it like a guy who dropped a jar of pennies in a Turkish Bath.Is it futile? Obviously but it's been a long journey and I definately have Jet-lag...
I agree that there should be no excuse of a mediocre game with all the time and man power this game had. If the game is under a 9 in ratings, its a failure. But the point is not whether a specific character gets in, but the amount. The fans want a large roster to show that Nintendo really made the game for the fans. Sure maybe we wont get a certain 3rd party character, but there is no reason we can't have 40 characters. Its not really asking that much with all the man power and time and support this game had. It should be to the highest selling game for the Wii with good reason.

I agree with everything in this post. If someone moans because 1 or 2 characters didnt get in, then youre missing 2 points:

1.) The fact that Nintendo gave us more than we could ever imagine in this game

and

2.) That this game has some of the most sought after characters in Sonic, Pit, Wario, Meta Knight, King Dedede and so on.

Its not about which characters in the 35 man roster, but the quality of the game

Meloche

Smash Rookie
@Fatmanonice: You quoted my whole post but addressed only a sentence or two. I'm not quite sure I understand the point of that.

You call the unlockable roster unimaginative, as if that has any bearing on anything. Why segregate the roster like that? I guess it's the only way you can get away with calling Brawl's roster unimaginative when it features the likes of Olimar and Pokemon Trainer, both of which are completely new takes on the standard fighting character. Or that Wario, Diddy Kong, Metaknight, Dedede, Lucas, Sonic, and Ike were some of the most wanted characters before the game was first shown and they're all in the game with awesome original movesets to boot. Or that they actually had to come up with 39 movesets (+Sheik, ZSS, and two extra pkmn), not the 35 everyone is so disgusted with. Why are you so bent out of shape about unlockabes? If the game had 50 characters and they were all available from the start, would that be disappointing for you?

I wasn't talking down to you -- for the most part, I wasn't even talking to you directly. I quoted your post because my first paragraph addressed the sentence or two that I quoted. For the rest, I was addressing the thread of people who complain because Ridley/Geno/Krystal/Tingle/Yogi Bear didn't get in, and obviously the game isn't going to be any good now that that one character that they really wanted but a lot of people probably couldn't care less about didn't get in. Listen, and listen well: If you are disappointed with the number of characters in this game, you have only yourself to blame. Your disappointment is a result of you overhyping yourself to the point that nothing could possibly satisfy you.

I mean, come on. You're complaining that marginal characters like Little Mac, Goroh, Stafi, and Saki are ATs when none of the prior games even had Assist Trophies to begin with? If it weren't for ATs, those characters would just be trophies. And the game isn't fanservice? Brawl has exponentially more content than Melee does, so does that mean that Melee wasn't fanservice? It's just baffling the logic leaps you're making here, because I see things like My Music, like the Stage Editor, like SSE, like all the co-op Wifi modes, and I wonder how they managed to get all this stuff on one disk all the while putting together a balanced roster with 30+ characters. Meanwhile, you're complaining because ROB64 is a playable fighter and a couple of your other favourites aren't. I don't get how you can stand here and tell me that Brawl's developers did a lousy job. I don't get it at all.

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
35 IS few. 40 would have made this game golden!

Come one now....one Metroid Rep? You have to be kidding me....>_>

Top Bottom