• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read this topic if you're dumb. Yes you, the one that thinks 35 characters is too few

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
You guys are going to be TEARS when this game comes out.

Wow. Seriously. And I thought Da Nile was a river in Egypt.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Ok, let me clarify something

YOU, honestly believe that after 2 years and 700 participants helping to create this game, that 35 is the biggest we'll ever get?

Do you see any logic in what you are saying?
Does it make any sense?

I think you should seriously get your facts straight before mocking everybody and calling us 'dumb'.

Because in that statement, I believe that makes YOU a hypocrite.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Ok, let me clarify something

YOU, honestly believe that after 2 years and 700 participants helping to create this game, that 35 is the biggest we'll ever get?

Do you see any logic in what you are saying?
Does it make any sense?

Yes, I do believe it. I believe the team spent most of their time on the story mode, online, and assist trophies. Unfortunately for us hardcore smashers, the team seems to have decided to focus less on the amount of characters and more on other parts of the game.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I do believe it. I believe the team spent most of their time on the story mode, online, and assist trophies. Unfortunately for us hardcore smashers, the team seems to have decided to focus less on the amount of characters and more on other parts of the game.
Oh for the love of Christ, you're getting 13 more characters than SSBM, which had 4 clones.

And saying that working on online multiplayer is somehow "unfortunate" for hardcore players is laughable.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Whats wrong with wanting a good sized roster? They had 7 freaking years to balance it for god's sake!!
Noone's had 7 years to do anything. The game wasn't even conceived until October 2005.

And FYI December 2001 to December 2007 is only 6 years.

No Trolling.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Yes, but.

Isn't this supposed to be a reflection of Nintendo's history?
Isn't this the last?

Do you think Sakurai will leave one rock unturned?

Don't be weak-minded, if you're willing to accept a small amount, you will never long for anything bigger.

Geez.

iron blade

Smash Ace
35 is plenty, stop being greedy idiots. The choices were made up. I mean come on, ROB?

Luigi was confirmed at a conference. One of the game developers leaked that he is in.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Oh for the love of Christ, you're getting 13 more characters than SSBM, which had 4 clones.

And saying that working on online multiplayer is somehow "unfortunate" for hardcore players is laughable.
Well, when I said it was "unfortunate" I was referring to the assist trophies and and how much effort they put in the story mode. This is opinion by the way. No need to be an ***.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
35 is plenty, stop being greedy idiots.
Actually, it's the other way around.

The only reason you guys believe this roster is because you're afraid to have your hopes crushed when you realize there's less characters than you initially expected.

That's the sole reason people believe this 35 character roster.

Boofer

Smash Ace
35 is plenty, stop being greedy idiots. The choices were made up. I mean come on, ROB?

Luigi was confirmed at a conference. One of the game developers leaked that he is in.
35 is not what makes it suck. The fact that we knew pretty much all but 3 made it suck. The way he was revealing newcomers, I expected to have more than three as secret surprises.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
A fighting game is never going to be balanced, i'd like to point that out.

Don't let people Boofer speak for competitive smash, when he is a nobody no offense but it's annoying

i barely have that right if at all

Boofer

Smash Ace
A fighting game is never going to be balanced, i'd like to point that out.

Don't let people Boofer speak for competitive smash, when he is a nobody no offense but it's annoying

i barely have that right if at all
I never implied to "speak for competitive smash." By "hardcore" I meant people that were diehard melee fans and those who are almost obsessively tracking this game ( like myself).

Igneous42

Smash Ace
35 is too little when you're picking characters like R.O.B. and Snake. It has to be wrong. It's missing key characters, which is the main thing.
....R.O.B I agree with..but Snake? Snake is from a game that is as hyped as Smash Bros, yet you classify him with ROB? Wow your lame.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to point out that Brawl is the DREAM game for many right? Melee brought me into Nintendo stuff, and so it's sequel is a dream game to me. Let me ask you all something, does your dream game have 35 characters? If you answered yes, you're an idiot.
WOW

Super Smash Bros. was a "dream game," and it had 12 characters.

Melee was a "dream game" and it had 25 characters.

A "dream game," to actually be a "dream game" would need hundreds of characters. You are aware of this, right?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So let me get this straight...

Little Mac, Saki Amiyama, Lyndis, Samurai Goroh, Deoxys, Grey Fox, Sothe, Jill the Drill, and all other ATs did NOT get in, even though they were very wanted...

But we get ROB who NOBODY wanted, is an enemy of the SSE (a generic one at that) and Sakurai could think up moves for that thing but not the ATs I listed?

*pats OP* People are so gullible... I bet you're still trying to unlock Sonic in Melee, right. :D

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
Dang it! Listen to Firestorm. He wrote out a good few paragraphs explaining the supposedly leaked roster, and you guys just ignore him, then argue with him with your freaking babbling. "OMGZ GENO ND RIDLEE NAWT GONA B IN TEH GAIM"

I really want Geno in, but if he's not in, I'm not gonna kill myself. I really want Sukapon in, but if he's not in, I'm not gonna cry, cut myself, and put Simple Plan posters up on my wall. Don't you guys see? This is almost EXACTLY what happened with the Melee roster leak. You guys couldn't believe all of that, but when you played Melee, it was so fun, you forgot about all those issues.

Oh, and ROB a completely nonsensical choice? Mr.Game&Watch says hi.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
So let me get this straight...

Little Mac, Saki Amiyama, Lyndis, Samurai Goroh, Deoxys, Grey Fox, Sothe, Jill the Drill, and all other ATs did NOT get in, even though they were very wanted...

But we get ROB who NOBODY wanted, is an enemy of the SSE (a generic one at that) and Sakurai could think up moves for that thing but not the ATs I listed?

*pats OP* People are so gullible... I bet you're still trying to unlock Sonic in Melee, right. :D
You mean you're gonna tell me that Sonic isn't in Melee, even though he's what everybody wanted, but PICHU, GAME AND WATCH, AND ROY KOOPA are!? and who the hell is marth lol i don't play japanese games fire emblem wtf is that

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
First: what he said.

Second: I love how classify everyone who doesn't like the roster as "dumb" just so you can put yourself on a nonexistant intellectual pedestal. Looks like you haven't changed at all since your days at Nsider.

Third: For all the time, people, and resources that went into this game, there really is no excuse. If you have time to create 100 items, 1001 assist trophies, and God knows how many stickers/trophies/collectible tea cozies, then they could at least create a roster that's imagatively sound. It's not the number of the characters that bugs me, it's the quality that makes me want to start eating my keyboard like a giant kitkat bar. 3/4 of the unlockable characters are from games in the past with Wolf, ROB (ugh... I think I just felt my stomach do a backflip), and Lucario being the only ones that we didn't know about before hand. Wolf over Krystal? Has Sakurai lost it? The man said himself he wanted to add more female characters so he adds Wolf to fill in a "ha ha, I'm a rival" role? He made the claim that this was a fan driven game and he pulls a stunt like that? At least with Melee most of the unlockable characters corresponded to the most popular choices in the offical Melee poll but this... this... is an embarassment of the highest caliber. You don't take a dump in a bucket and call it chocolate mouse nor do you give a game a roster like this and call it epic...

Fourth: Sakurai-Roughly 100 individuals. Of course, there would be even more if you count supervisors and contractors. Looking at all the staff that appears in the staff credits, it was about 700 people.

700 people? Hollywood movies usually didn't even get that many people working on them! Throw ontop of this the two delays, how Brawl's development was almost three times Melee's and it's easy to understand my annoyance but no, you won't. You'll carry on and dismiss me as one of those "dumb fanboys" who believed Sakurai when he said that this game would be a fan driven project and how he said developers being out of sync with the fans was what was basically killing the video game industry. Yes, God forbid that I subpar expectations for the roster and how's there's now the possibly that Sakurai has limbo'd under them... You don't wait nearly 6 years for a game and then be "overjoyed" as you probably are about a roster like this. It's like recieving a puppy for Christmas only to open the box and find out its dead.

Here I'll save you the trouble of writing a rebutall:

I, Fatmanoince, am a stupid fanboy for having any expectations what-so-ever. I am a whiny brat and am obviously ungrateful for recieving this below standards roster. It is my own fault that things turned out this way and I will learn to grind my teeth and not form any opinions contrary to the intellectual elite in the future.

I think that'll do just nicely.
Read this, it's amazing.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
You mean you're gonna tell me that Sonic isn't in Melee, even though he's what everybody wanted, but PICHU, GAME AND WATCH, AND ROY KOOPA are!? and who the hell is marth lol i don't play japanese games fire emblem wtf is that
Melee was rushed. Brawl was repeatedly delayed. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Wow.

If you guys want to compare Brawl to a ****ing dead puppy, then you go right ahead. :laugh:

Melee was rushed. Brawl was repeatedly delayed. I don't know how many times this has to be repeated.
It never has to be repeated, because it's completely irrelevant. The delays are being used for online code and manufacturing delays, not the game itself.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
You guys sound like Comic Book guy.

The game is incredibly improved in every way, and you're spitting in Sakurai's face because he didn't throw in a free blowjob.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Wow.

If you guys want to compare Brawl to a ****ing dead puppy, then you go right ahead. :laugh:

It never has to be repeated, because it's completely irrelevant. The delays are being used for online code and manufacturing delays, not the game itself.
Point me to how you know this so unshakably and I'll concede. The second update is for sure manufacturing, but the December 3 - Feb 10 delay was "????"

Prinkachu

Smash Cadet
IT'S A FREAKING GAME!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL BUY IT AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!!!!!!! AND YOU KNOW YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are complaining because the game is excelent but not perfect, the game is sold for me only with the info shown on Dojo, the amount of stupid people in this forum is hilarous.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
You guys sound like Comic Book guy.

The game is incredibly improved in every way, and you're spitting in Sakurai's face because he didn't throw in a free blowjob.
Are you a ****ing moron?

Everyone knows that characters are THE selling point of the game.

And Sakurai had the time to include a humongous list of content like pokeballs, assist trophies, trophies, stickers, past stages, stage builder, not to mention a mindblowing single player mode.

YET HE CAN'T GET IT TOGETHER TO ADD MORE THAN 10 UNLOCKABLES?

If the roster was actually 35 characters, Sakurai wouldn't have revealed 24 of them already. Characters like Olimar, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, DeDeDe and Ice Climbers would most likely have been unlockables also. Just to improve on the sense of achievement, which is rather lacking with a 35 character roster.

No seriously. I'll have to quote myself:

"35 character roster is just a clever hoax based on the fact that people are afraid to be disappointed when they find out the game has less characters than they initially expected.

That's the sole reason they support this 35 character roster. Either they're right, or they get a pleasant surprise in the form of even more characters. To these close-minded people it's a win/win situation.
"

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Are you a ****ing moron?

Everyone knows that characters are THE selling point of the game.

And Sakurai had the time to include a humongous list of content like pokeballs, assist trophies, trophies, stickers, past stages, stage builder, not to mention a mindblowing single player mode.

YET HE CAN'T GET IT TOGETHER TO ADD MORE THAN 10 UNLOCKABLES?

If the roster was actually 35 characters, Sakurai wouldn't have revealed 24 of them already. Characters like Olimar, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, DeDeDe and Ice Climbers would most likely have been unlockables also. Just to improve on the sense of achievement, which is rather lacking with a 35 character roster.

No seriously. I'll have to quote myself:

"35 character roster is just a clever hoax based on the fact that people are afraid to be disappointed when they find out the game has less characters than they initially expected.

That's the sole reason they support this 35 character roster. Either they're right, or they get a pleasant surprise in the form of even more characters. To these close-minded people it's a win/win situation.
"

Whatever you say dude. :laugh:

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Are you a ****ing moron?
Yes, yes he is.

Just ignore him, he's just looking for attention, and probably gets off on deliberately attacking other people for his own self gain.

He doesn't have any good arguments, he just gets a sense of rush at trying to debunk good ones and make other people look stupid.

Unfortunately for him, he fails miserably.

wagnerelli

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the TC.

Balance is the main reason that we likely have a 35 character roster. I think Sakurai is trying to make sure that every character is balanced and playable, not like with Melee. Why? Wi-Fi. With millions of people likely playing this game, he wants to make sure people can play as their favorite character, instead of playing as the best one. I honestly started to suspect this around the confirmation of Wi-Fi.

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to add something (I agree with the OP) :

BRAWL HAS NOT BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Fake edit : Wow, Crushed is there too ! This is going to be fun.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
If this roster is true (and I'm not totally convinced, but it likely is), then it's not as bad as people say. It's a bigger improvement over Melee's roster than Melee's was over 64's, actually - more new characters and less of them are clones.

And hey, I was a big Ridley supporter (hopefully he'll still be an SSE boss), and I'm a little disappointed with this probably-true lineup - but you can't expect everything you want to be in the game.

Top Bottom