• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read this topic if you're dumb. Yes you, the one that thinks 35 characters is too few

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
I find it highly amusing that the topic creator is pretending to be intelligent and acting generally superior when he/she doesn't know the meaning of the word 'dumb'.

It doesn't mean stupid. It means 'mute'.

Good job, amadan.

Tony_

Smash Ace
They've had more than 5 years to work on Brawl. If they only have 35 characters, then it makes every gamer wonder what they were doing with their time, and no SSE doesn't count, before you try to jump the gun.

The game should and WILL have more than 35 characters. Also, your reason are greatly flawed on the "I am for 35 characters" argument.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
Inapt analogy. First, Smash isn't other fighting games. Second, it's our money. Nintendo isn't making this game out of charity. We're paying for it with our own money. As potential customers, if we don't think the product is worth the money, we have every right to complain.
haha holy ****, don't buy it then, have fun with melee while i play brawl and enjoy every second of it

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
They've had more than 5 years to work on Brawl. If they only have 35 characters, then it makes every gamer wonder what they were doing with their time, and no SSE doesn't count, before you try to jump the gun.

The game should and WILL have more than 35 characters. Also, your reason are greatly flawed on the "I am for 35 characters" argument.
they've only had 2 years to work on brawl. and yes SSE does count, it's a huge task to create something like that.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace

if by "5 years" you really mean "2 and a half years" then yes, you're right.

otherwise, you just aren't.

Arteen

Smash Lord
haha holy ****, don't buy it then, have fun with melee while i play brawl and enjoy every second of it
I never said anything about whether I am satisfied, so don't make assumptions. I just wanted to bring to light the principle of the matter.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Posted for the billionth time:

Ok, there's the 23 characters on the dojo.

Add in the shoe-in veterans:
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Ness
Game and Watch
Young Link (You may not agree, I don't care.)
Marth
Falco (Makes sense whether you believe prophets or not.
Captain Falcon

That's 32.

35 means there's only 3 new characters we shouldn't know about (though we do know about Lucario.)
Do you really think there would only be 3 completely new hidden characters? We know E-LE-VEN already. The whole 35 character thing is ridiculous.

Considering we already know Lucario, 35 characters means we're only getting TWO of the following:
Bowser Jr./Geno
5th Zelda character
Mewtwo (Not even a new character!)
Ridley
Black Shadow
Wolf/Krystal
Micaiah
The Masked Man
3rd party
K. Rool
Ray
Isaac
AC character
Wars character
Retro/Obscure character

Mario only having 4 characters, being at best tied with Zelda and Pokemon? Not likely. Down to only one more character already!

Now, here's the real question: Do you believe that there will only be one more character from a list that contains: A 5th character for Nintendo's 2nd and 3rd best selling franchise, the most requested character worldwide who is a flying villain from a series with only one true character, a character from another series with only one character, a 3rd character from Starfox who had 2 very highly requested characters worldwide, a 3rd character from a series that grew and expanded well due to Melee, a 3rd MOTHER character who was at LEAST requested as much as Lucas and is also a villain, another 3rd party character, a 3rd character who is very popular villain from Nintendo's fourth best selling series, a character from one of at least 4 unrepresented Nintendo series, and another retro/obscure/WTF character?

No, and if you do, even if it is true, it is still poor judgement to believe it until it is proven.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
Wow. Just...wow.

First off, the fact that we've got ANOTHER version of Link in the game over Ridley or Geno is enough to make me hate it.

Second, you know nothing about game design, do you? Characters alone have several teams working on them. One for concept art, one for modeling, one for voices, one for coding, and one for bug-testing. SSE has several teams of it's own. Working on a character wouldn't take time away from the SSE or the music or the stages.

Third, you must feel pretty high and mighty to call everyone who disagrees with you dumb. How mature.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Wow. Just...wow.

First off, the fact that we've got ANOTHER version of Link in the game over Ridley or Geno is enough to make me hate it.

Second, you know nothing about game design, do you? Characters alone have several teams working on them. One for concept art, one for modeling, one for voices, one for coding, and one for bug-testing. SSE has several teams of it's own. Working on a character wouldn't take time away from the SSE or the music or the stages.

Third, you must feel pretty high and mighty to call everyone who disagrees with you dumb. How mature.
You mean another Link that was already in the previous game? Oh, what a crime.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core has 24 characters.
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike has 20 characters.
Soul Calibur III has 25 characters.
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 has 56 characters.
Capcom vs Snk 2 has 48 characters.

Tekken 5 has 23 characters.
Dead or Alive 4 has 22 characters.
Mortal Kombat: Deception has 27 characters.

Anyone who says 35 characters is too little is being a spoiled brat.
The games left unbold are stand alone series where as the games in bold are 'All Star' games and they have 40+ characters, you can even add MK: Armageddon, an all star game with 60 characters. This is Nintendo, I expect at minimum of 40 characters, and I am certain that they will continue to have us squealing like fan girls.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Inapt analogy. First, Smash isn't other fighting games. Second, it's our money. Nintendo isn't making this game out of charity. We're paying for it with our own money. As potential customers, if we don't think the product is worth the money, we have every right to complain.
Er, that's why it's an analogy. Anyway, I'm saying that you're expecting a $120 game for $50 at the moment. This game was only in development for 2 years, but people make it seem like it's been in development for 7.

anyone have a link to the supposed roster leaked by these Reno/MarkMan characters? i've done multiple searches and can't find it.
Here's what I compiled out of their information:
Veterans (21)
Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zelda
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Ice Climbers
Sheik
Ness
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Mr Game & Watch
Captain Falcon
Falco
Marth
Young Link (cel-shaded)

Newcomers (14)
Pit
Wario
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Snake
Lucas
Sonic
King Dedede
Pikmin & Olimar
Lucario
Wolf
R.O.B.

Missing 1 character, most likely Luigi.

Regular Text: Confirmed on Dojo
Underlined Text: Confirmed through the "leaked" video
Italicized Text: Sources proven to be reliable

I find it highly amusing that the topic creator is pretending to be intelligent and acting generally superior when he/she doesn't know the meaning of the word 'dumb'.

It doesn't mean stupid. It means 'mute'.

Good job, amadan.
Languages evolve over time and words pick up additional meanings. This is an informal discussion forum and I will use everyday English. Please pick apart words that matter (and aren't used to fit within the title character requirements!)

The games left unbold are stand alone series where as the games in bold are 'All Star' games and they have 40+ characters, you can even add MK: Armageddon, an all star game with 60 characters. This is Nintendo, I expect at minimum of 40 characters, and I am certain that they will continue to have us squealing like fan girls.
Sadly, the games you bolded and names are all horribly unbalanced =(

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
With about 3 years of development, and a hell load of stuff in this game, and about 100 developers, I highly doubt we're only getting 7 more Characters now.

We still don't even know what Icon number 19 is yet, and god only knows how many more Icons there might be.

Honestly, it not us that's stupid for not believing there's going to be 7 more Characters, it's you.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
There is a thin line between Whining and Complaining. Simple complains can become whining in a short time which I've been noticing alot around here in the several weeks.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
Languages evolve over time and words pick up additional meanings. This is an informal discussion forum and I will use everyday English. Please pick apart words that matter (and aren't used to fit within the title character requirements!)
There's a difference between the evolution of languages and mis-using a word. Words have a particular meaning for a reason: to convey information. If you mis-use the words, you're losing information. Of course, sadly, this is all too common.

By all means, though, continue to use the "additional" meanings of words while pretending to be superior, and make yourself look ignorant (or, after this, stupid). I will continue to be amused by it. :laugh:

Boofer

Smash Ace
Honestly, the only thing wrong with there being 35 characters is the fact that we already knew most of them. We figured most of those veterans would be returning, except maybe Ness for some people. And then there's the fact that ONLY 3.5 of the remaing characters will be new (WW Link counts as half a character). Now that IS too few. Far too few imo. And with that supposed starting roster, it's looking like only 5.5/15 secret characters will be newcomers. How is that NOT stupid? Melee had 9/11 secret Newcomers. If most of newcomers were kept secret I probably wouldn't be AS upset, but the best solution would simply be three more newcomers.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
theres gonna be acertain amount characters in the game, people are gonna play it (except for the 5 people in the world who dont play it cuz there character isnt there, but even they will eventually play it) theres gonna be parties that brawl will be played at, countless hours of people playing all night online with friends and child predators, the govenor etc... there will be tournies, people will get realy good at the game, a tier list will be made blah blah blah.....

geno for brawl!!!

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Second, I don't care about the number of characters...I care about the ****ty characters they picked
Precisely.
I would have been happy with anything so long as Ridley was in.
Which, I mean, isn't much to ask; he was a high ranker in the poll and second most recognizeable character after Samus herself. Plus, he was named after the man who inspired the **** series to begin with. It's not as if his only appearance was in some random game made 15 years ago or some crap.

And hey, unlike Geno or Mewtwo or whatever, Ridley has never been playable in any Metroid title, and it's likely he will never be, so this was practically my only chance to play as one of my favorite characters ever.

Do I have the right to be upset over making a bad excuse of "more metroid rep" as ZSS? Hell yeah.

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Noypi GjD

Originally Posted by Artanisix
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core has 24 characters.
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike has 20 characters.
Soul Calibur III has 25 characters.
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 has 56 characters.
Capcom vs Snk 2 has 48 characters.
Tekken 5 has 23 characters.
Dead or Alive 4 has 22 characters.
Mortal Kombat: Deception has 27 characters.

Anyone who says 35 characters is too little is being a spoiled brat.
Thank you, Noypi. This (MK:Armageddon) was the exact argument I was going to use. Not to mention, how old are those games. I played Tekken 5, like, 6 years ago. I played MvC:2 about 10 years ago. Both those I played in ARCADES! Do those even exist anymore? Not many. Also, Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive, and Soul Calibur (I have no idea what Guilty Gear is) all had to pull characters out of their a**es. That's why they're in the 20s. MvC:2 and CvS:2 both had established characters. That's why they both had 45+. In case you hadn't noticed.. NINTENDO'S 27 YEARS OLD! I think it's pretty well established by now. Even one of the newer franchises (Pikmin) is 6 years old now. Sakurai should now just be able to look at a character from Nintendo and say "These are pretty good moves for this character. Make it happen." Or his team should be able to figure out such things. They've revealed too many characters by now for there to only be 35, UNLESS Ganondorf, Falco, Luigi, Marth, Captain Falcon, and Mr. Game & Watch don't return, in which case there's plenty of unknown characters left, but most, if not all, of the characters I mentioned are returning.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
First...

OP, people have this thing called opinion...

and I think yours is horrible.

Second, I don't care about the number of characters...I care about the ****ty characters they picked
First: what he said.

Second: I love how classify everyone who doesn't like the roster as "dumb" just so you can put yourself on a nonexistant intellectual pedestal. Looks like you haven't changed at all since your days at Nsider.

Third: For all the time, people, and resources that went into this game, there really is no excuse. If you have time to create 100 items, 1001 assist trophies, and God knows how many stickers/trophies/collectible tea cozies, then they could at least create a roster that's imagatively sound. It's not the number of the characters that bugs me, it's the quality that makes me want to start eating my keyboard like a giant kitkat bar. 3/4 of the unlockable characters are from games in the past with Wolf, ROB (ugh... I think I just felt my stomach do a backflip), and Lucario being the only ones that we didn't know about before hand. Wolf over Krystal? Has Sakurai lost it? The man said himself he wanted to add more female characters so he adds Wolf to fill in a "ha ha, I'm a rival" role? He made the claim that this was a fan driven game and he pulls a stunt like that? At least with Melee most of the unlockable characters corresponded to the most popular choices in the offical Melee poll but this... this... is an embarassment of the highest caliber. You don't take a dump in a bucket and call it chocolate mouse nor do you give a game a roster like this and call it epic...

Fourth: Sakurai-Roughly 100 individuals. Of course, there would be even more if you count supervisors and contractors. Looking at all the staff that appears in the staff credits, it was about 700 people.

700 people? Hollywood movies usually didn't even get that many people working on them! Throw ontop of this the two delays, how Brawl's development was almost three times Melee's and it's easy to understand my annoyance but no, you won't. You'll carry on and dismiss me as one of those "dumb fanboys" who believed Sakurai when he said that this game would be a fan driven project and how he said developers being out of sync with the fans was what was basically killing the video game industry. Yes, God forbid that I subpar expectations for the roster and how's there's now the possibly that Sakurai has limbo'd under them... You don't wait nearly 6 years for a game and then be "overjoyed" as you probably are about a roster like this. It's like recieving a puppy for Christmas only to open the box and find out its dead.

Here I'll save you the trouble of writing a rebutall:

I, Fatmanoince, am a stupid fanboy for having any expectations what-so-ever. I am a whiny brat and am obviously ungrateful for recieving this below standards roster. It is my own fault that things turned out this way and I will learn to grind my teeth and not form any opinions contrary to the intellectual elite in the future.

I think that'll do just nicely.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Dude, THANK GOD. I made essentially the same topic over at Brawl Central at around 1:30 AM. I'd link you, but currently I'm posting from my Wii, and we all know C&P on the Wii is essentially a manual procedure (yuck). It's in the "Rumor Central" part of the Brawl forums. Should be an easy find.

Heh, I even referenced MvC2 like you did. ^_^;

Reyairia

Smash Champion
First: what he said.

Second: I love how classify everyone who doesn't like the roster as "dumb" just so you can put yourself on a nonexistant intellectual pedestal. Looks like you haven't changed at all since your days at Nsider.

Third: For all the time, people, and resources that went into this game, there really is no excuse. If you have time to create 100 items, 1001 assist trophies, and God knows how many stickers/trophies/collectible tea cozies, then they could at least create a roster that's imagatively sound. It's not the number of the characters that bugs me, it's the quality that makes me want to start eating my keyboard like a giant kitkat bar. 3/4 of the unlockable characters are from games in the past with Wolf, ROB (ugh... I think I just felt my stomach do a backflip), and Lucario being the only ones that we didn't know about before hand. Wolf over Krystal? Has Sakurai lost it? The man said himself he wanted to add more female characters so he adds Wolf to fill in a "ha ha, I'm a rival" role? He made the claim that this was a fan driven game and he pulls a stunt like that? At least with Melee most of the unlockable characters corresponded to the most popular choices in the offical Melee poll but this... this... is an embarassment of the highest caliber. You don't take a dump in a bucket and call it chocolate mouse nor do you give a game a roster like this and call it epic...

Fourth: Sakurai-Roughly 100 individuals. Of course, there would be even more if you count supervisors and contractors. Looking at all the staff that appears in the staff credits, it was about 700 people.

700 people? Hollywood movies usually didn't even get that many people working on them! Throw ontop of this the two delays, how Brawl's development was almost three times Melee's and it's easy to understand my annoyance but no, you won't. You'll carry on and dismiss me as one of those "dumb fanboys" who believed Sakurai when he said that this game would be a fan driven project and how he said developers being out of sync with the fans was what was basically killing the video game industry. Yes, God forbid that I subpar expectations for the roster and how's there's now the possibly that Sakurai has limbo'd under them... You don't wait nearly 6 years for a game and then be "overjoyed" as you probably are about a roster like this. It's like recieving a puppy for Christmas only to open the box and find out its dead.

Here I'll save you the trouble of writing a rebutall:

I, Fatmanoince, am a stupid fanboy for having any expectations what-so-ever. I am a whiny brat and am obviously ungrateful for recieving this below standards roster. It is my own fault that things turned out this way and I will learn to grind my teeth and not form any opinions contrary to the intellectual elite in the future.

I think that'll do just nicely.
You, fatmanonice, have just won my fangirlism.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
:laugh:

And great tirade there Fatmanonice! ;)
I'm angry not just for myself but for the many fans that got royally screwed in this process. If Geno wasn't playable, I would have been upset but I would have gotten over it but to exclude Ridley, Krystal, Megaman, Isaac, Takamaru, Claus, etc is an enormous insult to what are basically the more dedicated fans in all the video game world. Sakurai dropped the Brawl and, of course, he's going to tell us in an interview months from now that him and his staff "ran out of time and ideas." I'd like to think if Smash Bros fans as young as ten years old can make decent movesets then so can trained professionals.

Also, regarding Firestorm's comment of balance: Oh no, God forbid if any character is genuinely better then another because that CERTAINLY wasn't the case with Melee or any other fighting game for that matter. No, all the characters in Melee were used equally in tournaments and none of them had any handicaps... Pseudo-intellectual pyschobabble, that's all it is...

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
As much as I would have wanted more, this has Lucario and Ike (my two most requested characters) and as long as those two are in for real, I'm okay.

KaptKRool

Smash Apprentice
Where the St Lawrence meets Lake Ontario (Tibbets
It'll be good when, in a few days, the actual full character roster is revealed with proof, and it proves all the little prophets were wrong and makes everybody who believed them and their silly little theories that somehow managed to catch on feel silly, and in a bad way.

Seriously, prophets don't know what they're talking about. They're just trying to get the spotlight by posting who they think will be in it. Some have no proof and just say "my sources told me..", while some try to think up some unique way to catch on, like making theories about how many characters will be in the game.

However, they still have no info, and are just going off of some random theory they thought up while they were bored.

There is no proof Brawl will have 35 characters or less. There is, however, good reason to believe it will have 40 or more, seeing as how early in development, Sakurai said he's aiming for 40-50 characters. And with a few of the official sources who've played the game saying that the character roster is huge, I think its safe to assume that means Sakurai at least made his quota. Otherwise, they would make note that the roster was smaller than expected.

But I have a word of advice for you. Just wait another week. You're gonna look like a fool if you keep believing what these prophets are saying.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
It'll be good when, in a few days, the actual full character roster is revealed with proof, and it proves all the little prophets were wrong and makes everybody who believed them and their silly little theories that somehow managed to catch on feel silly, and in a bad way.

Seriously, prophets don't know what they're talking about. They're just trying to get the spotlight by posting who they think will be in it. Some have no proof and just say "my sources told me..", while some try to think up some unique way to catch on, like making theories about how many characters will be in the game.

However, they still have no info, and are just going off of some random theory they thought up while they were bored.

There is no proof Brawl will have 35 characters or less. There is, however, good reason to believe it will have 40 or more, seeing as how early in development, Sakurai said he's aiming for 40-50 characters. And with a few of the official sources who've played the game saying that the character roster is huge, I think its safe to assume that means Sakurai at least made his quota. Otherwise, they would make note that the roster was smaller than expected.

But I have a word of advice for you. Just wait another week. You're gonna look like a fool if you keep believing what these prophets are saying.

This post wins. I don't think anyone could have said it better. It's only a few days, so why can't anyone wait? I mean, yes, I'd like to know the roster right now, but I'm not buying into these "prophets" until the game comes out.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. for the N64 had 12 characters.

Super Smash Bros. Melee had 26 playable movesets.
That is an increase of 14 characters. 6 of them saw decreased development time due to the animations being re-used from other characters.
You're really stupid if you think that with double the development time, and a much bigger team working on the game, not to mention two delays, they only come up with 6 new characters?

Let me copy and paste my response from another thread, read it and accept it.

"35 character roster is absolute bullcrap.

1. Melee was rushed, yet it managed to include double the amount of characters that Smash 64 had.

2. Brawl has more than DOUBLE the development time than Melee had.

3. Brawl has a MUCH BIGGER team working on it than Melee had.

4. Brawl has been DELAYED, TWICE!

5. The Smash Bros series is starting to become one of the most important series for Nintendo.

6. Sakurai and various other Nintendo reps have stated again and again that the amount of content in Brawl is insane. And judging by the trophies, stickers, assist trophies, pokeballs, past stages, the amount of starting characters... it's quite obvious that there will be plenty unlockables.

7. And last but not least, it's a fact that the characters are the selling point in the Smash Bros series. That's what the game is all about, seeing all those well known figures and getting that nostalgic feeling.

When you take all these points into consideration, you'll see that a 35 character roster would be INCREDIBLY STUPID, and would most likely disappoint a lot of people.

I honestly doubt Nintendo is stupid enough to oversee these things. I'm sure they're including plenty of characters, perhaps even more than we are expecting.... at least, that's what they're constantly hinting at.

And do you think they want to create false hope? Yeah, me neither.
"

When I posted this in a previous thread, nobody commented on it.
Why? Because they couldn't think of a comeback.

35 character roster is just a clever hoax playing on the fact that many people are afraid to be disappointed by a smaller roster than they expected.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
35 is too little when you're picking characters like R.O.B. and Snake. It has to be wrong. It's missing key characters, which is the main thing.

volbound1700

Smash Master
That leaves about 8-10 unlockables... your the one that is dumb. BTW you can have a game that is balanced with 40 characters (see Mortal Kombat series).

Mods please lock this flaming thread.

Top Bottom