• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaction time.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
There are many kinds of different reaction times. This is just one, and a rather useless one at that.

More useful reaction times are ones which require your brain to process a certain amount of information before reacting. If they remade the test such that you had to click the left or right mouse depending on what color came up, you would see very different results.

The ability to simply *react quickly* means nothing when your reaction is stupid. You have to be able to make intelligent choices. This is the sort of thing that happens in smash all the time.

Very commonly after a move (such as a throw) your opponent will have the option of several different DI's. Depending on how he DI's, you have to do different moves to continue the combo. Merely reacting quickly is not enough. Your brain has to be able to correctly process the input and then react correctly, within a given timeframe.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Same EXACT thing happened to me and I'll click it on the prediction sometimes and it will be off. You actually have to react to have a faster time. Of course you can get B.S. times like 58 milliseconds, which I have gotten, but those aren't actually reaction times and rather just random clicks at the right time.
On another note I have gotten my reaction time to .14 yesterday which I was going crazy about XD. I was eating healthy and was pretty happy before that, I'm pretty sure that they had a direct correlation with how well I did. Just tried it again and got .16.

"There are many kinds of different reaction times. This is just one, and a rather useless one at that.

More useful reaction times are ones which require your brain to process a certain amount of information before reacting. If they remade the test such that you had to click the left or right mouse depending on what color came up, you would see very different results.

The ability to simply *react quickly* means nothing when your reaction is stupid. You have to be able to make intelligent choices. This is the sort of thing that happens in smash all the time.

Very commonly after a move (such as a throw) your opponent will have the option of several different DI's. Depending on how he DI's, you have to do different moves to continue the combo. Merely reacting quickly is not enough. Your brain has to be able to correctly process the input and then react correctly, within a given timeframe.
"
This isn't useless... Testing this type of reaction time makes this the baseline fastest reactions you can possibly make. Making a decision is slower and can improved upon. This IS the fastest you can physically react though and isn't useless. It's more of an aptitude test if you want to look at it from that perspective. You can never react with a decision FASTER than what you have recieved with the simplist reaction time test.
That is a good point though and IS more of what Smash is about. I was just looking for purely baseline tip top possible results.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
yeah this doesnt really apply to smash, because i know m2k can react to people teching in place and regrab them in falcon dittos. i cant do that but i did this faster than him

also, by comparing my computer to jukes, if any of you kids got a wireless mouse go ahead and shave a little off your time

L__

Smash Master
I got .2 at best today.

I'll get better later. :O

Someone PM me if they find a better reaction test.

Eggm

Smash Hero
There are many kinds of different reaction times. This is just one, and a rather useless one at that.

You know of an online test that does this kinda stuff? Sounds fun/interesting.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
I discovered that I react a lot slower when I'm taking in a breath of air. I average around .175, but when it hits me when I'm taking a breath I'll go up to .23 to .25.

Fletch

Smash Master
There seems to be more of a learning curve to this game rather than just testing pure reaction times. I started in the 230s, then easily got down to 160s after 10 games or so.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Fighters are about prediction way more than raw reaction.
(I know this was said many times before)

Vts

Smash Champion
still sux to have natural disadvantage, everything I do is just planned-ahead **** usually. I'm just really good at video games for some reason, but it's too bad I'm slightly more disadvantaged than other pros are.
hey no johns....

but reaction time is really good for di that is about it

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
still sux to have natural disadvantage, everything I do is just planned-ahead **** usually. I'm just really good at video games for some reason, but it's too bad I'm slightly more disadvantaged than other pros are.
thats like saying other pros are at a natural disadvantage b/c they're not as smart and/or good at planning stuff as you

Top Bottom