• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaction Time - Smashers numbers.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
Average 233
Male

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
187 ms
Male

---

As an interesting note, smashers more commonly deal with anticipation, not reaction [REF 1]. This is like seeing Sheik short hop in for a forward air, and you saying "I'm going to power shield that." You have some time to see the forward air coming, but you must time the shield action. Anticipation, when practiced, can yield near-zero time split results... and even can result in actions taken too early.

In fairness, if that same sheik short hops in and then empty lands for a grab all while you were expecting forward air... your ability to deal with that would entirely be up to your reaction time. For example, my reaction time is 11 frames, when converted. Fast fall landings take 4 frames, and grabs usually come out in 6 frames. So... I'd be screwed.

In fact, most people would be screwed! The reaction time we are testing here is simple reaction time. That example with Sheik and her short hop fast fall options is related to choice reaction time [REF 2]. Reaction time related to making choices on the fly like that are even slower than the reaction times we are presenting here, and are certainly slower than anticipation reaction. A test commonly used for choice reaction time is the Jensen Box [REF 3].

TL;DR - Take this with a grain of salt. There are many kinds of reaction times required to play this game, and one of the most important ones (anticipation) can be trained.

NOTE - These references aren't the best (ha ha, Wikipedia), but the more robust articles are often locked behind pay walls. I can see them, since I'm at a university, but not everyone can. I did my best to strike an intermediate chord.

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Average 218ms
19y male

Got a literal read that boosted the score a little

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I can get an anticipation speed of around 140-160ms (it hurts to be that intently focused on the screen with finger muscles tensed around the mouse/etc though). Although I just got one at 31ms...

my average in a more relaxed "stance":
228ms
Male

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
355ms / 15 / Male Singing Dog

NOT GOOD

Daily 4 hours of training just turned into 6 for now on...

Edit: This website says you can only improve 10% to 20% of your reaction time without genetics. Still tells you ways on how you can improve reaction time in general, so that's helpful.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/reactiontime.html

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I tested with a PC and a Mouse on both index fingers and thumbs to see if I yield a different speed.

Index Average: 291ms
Thumb Average: 266ms
Male

Interesting about the different fingers, since that is muscle memory in action there.

@ AnchorTea AnchorTea Bare in mind that the % increase assumes you are near your max already. If you haven't been exercising your brain, then it can slow down just like the body. I know that in my overweight state running a mile at 10-ish minutes is normal, but when I was fit (but not at a peak) I could run a 7 minutes mile. That's not taking into account being in peak performance. Your brain is still a muscle, which means it can have the mental equivalence of being 'out of shape' which this test doesn't take into account. This is the mental version of a BMI test, which is useful in a way but you have to take other things into consideration. It does prove to me that my reaction time has slipped (much like my physical health of late) and I should find ways to work this up.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Average:265 with mouse like 350 something on an Iphone so that definetly skews results
male

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I had an avg. of 179, but I have a fancy mouse and game competitively on the PC. My memory was awful, though... hopefully that isn't overly detrimental to my Smash game, haha.

LightLV

Smash Ace
236 / 24yo / male

This test is skewed by the medium you use to take it. I could barely break a 260 average using my laptop touchpad button. After switching to my USB mouse, my lowest time was 209. The monitor you use could also have a similar effect.

83 percentile on memory on my first go, which i think is BS because my memory is terrible.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Male

ummm I catch things I drop before they break on the floor so that's nice

MechanicalRhythm

Smash Rookie
246/ 21 / male

So what I found really interesting about this was that when I changed the way in which I mentally focused on the task from a conscious one to an unconscious one, my results drastically improved. If I'd had gone with my first 5 results I'd have a score of 278, but once I changed tack I started scoring exactly 234-235 relatively consistently. Its really kind of hard to explain, but initially I was looking at the screen and waiting for the screen to change, and when I changed methods I stopped focusing on the actual screen in front of me and was only really taking in the colour. Perhaps where some people struggle with reaction time is something to do with their ability to filter out extraneous information?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Haha my focus with these things always amazes me... how bad it is. I actually briefly read the word 'click' before clicking. I was like, 'oh, I didn't notice that word before!' Somehow I still got 279 there.

Yeah, I can't do this. Every time I go to this website to try to measure reaction time, I only end up being reminded about how I get lost in thought so easily. Looking for a color to change is not engaging enough for me to care, so other thoughts take priority, apparently. Something frustrating is I will realize I was thinking about something, then really try to focus, feel like I'm focused, then score my worst time.

Ehh. I'm 18. Male. My average was 245 for the time I managed to stay somewhat focused the whole time. I hope I never use a reaction time tester again. Too stressful.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
280ms/19/male
That's on my second try, my first was around 320. Well I guess it's not that awful for someone who's not a competitive player.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I found that looking at just the color and not the words proved slightly better times for me.

Looking at words: 272
Looking at colors: 260

Male, 31

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
age 31 (32 in July)
Male

I have the NIntendo DS game "Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day". I believe that's supposed to help train reaction time among other things. Haven't used it in a long time as I had lost the card and only found it a few days ago. Has anybody else played this?

@ Heleno Heleno perhaps this is something you would want to look in to?

(Edit - I did the test again after closing out some tabs, blocking the words with my hands so as to allocate some brain power away from reading, and tried to stay relaxed. I scored 11 ms faster than my first attempt. Interestingly I also had my best reaction click on my 1st or 2nd attempt (202 ms) AND my worst reaction click on my last try (272 ms). I basically got progressively worst with each click)

Last edited:

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
@ Heleno Heleno i think this is a super cool topic

keep in mind though that there's a huge difference between the situation of knowing that you're going to see a specific unambiguous thing like a color change and having one possible response (clicking) that you're already primed for and the "reaction time" interactions in a game like Smash.

there's a ton of additional latency in the sequence because there are a variety of possible things that you need to be able to react to and a variety of responses that you have to choose from. in relatively simple situations, like tech-chases that you've already flowcharted and practiced, you're AT LEAST looking at some amount of time spent on these things:
1] realizing something is happening
2] recognizing the animation
3] selecting an option for response
4] executing that response

and that gets slowed down a bit more when that sequence has to interrupt a current action, like movement or things like that that Smash games tend to be full of.

i think this is something that doesn't get talked about enough as people obsess over things like "20GX"s ideas on Melee Falcon reaction-based tech-chasing, because taking 200ms human reaction time and concluding that you can react to anything in 12 frames isn't quite accurate.

i absolutely think that situationally smashers can develop excellent reaction-based play with proper training, but most of the numbers that Smasher pseudo-science proposes are very unrealistic for people with average-range reaction times AND it's not an issue of just improving reaction time.

learning the earliest frames where you can consistently recognize or differentiate specific animations is super important, because that means you can make your option decision earlier. and distilling interactions into flowcharts with limited response trees is critical because you'll always be able to decide between a tiny number or "primed" actions wayyyy faster than you will be able to make a spontaneous creative decision. those things are way more important than the really abstract high-level "reaction time" training imo.

Last edited:

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
22 Male.
It says right on the site the average reaction is 215, I feel bad :c

Kraetyz

Smash Cadet
289 MS.
21/M.
No surprises, my reaction time and execution time is awful.

EDIT:
After switching from mousepad to USB mouse, it changed to 256 MS. Use whichever you like.

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerAbram

Smash Rookie
NNID
PkmnTrainerAbram
3DS FC
0044-4173-2062
335ms is my average over 10 clicks on a PC running Windows XP that seems to have the Adobe Plugin crash every 10 mins.
Male

Makes me wonder what my reaction time was last week BEFORE I took actions to rid myself of bad habits in Smash, before I rose my win % from 30 to 46%.

Oh well.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I did a bunch of research on reaction time a while ago. I used this as one of my main sources:
http://biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm

Some useful points (somewhat relevant- not in the review):
  • Research has generally indicated that moderate knuckle cracking is fine. It's a myth that it leads to arthritis, and isn't bad for you unless it hurts when you do it.
  • You probably have input lag if you're using a wireless mouse- definitely if you're using a laptop trackpad. There's even input lag on wired mouses, so the Human Benchmark website isn't totally accurate.
Reaction time stuff:
  • The Theory of Optimal Arousal applies to reaction time, among other things. (Too calm or too excited leads to poor reaction time)
  • Factors that negatively impact reaction time: Distractions, sickness, using peripheral vision, responding to a weak stimulus (such as responding to a feint light).
  • Factors that positively impact reaction time: Exercise, moderate caffeine, reacting to a stimuli during expiration (breathing out), practicing responding to the stimuli, stimuli presented in a pattern (such as responding to 3 different stimuli in a 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 order as opposed to 1,3,2,2,1,1,3,2,3).

Last edited:

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
Lag has to play a role in this. I find it really hard to believe that so many people on this site have reaction times below average (200-250ms). I did a reaction test irl recently and got 180ms. This test is saying I have a reaction time of 280ms. That's a huge difference.

Male
20yrs

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
So I just randomly clicked on random time on the bar and...

Eep... Not continuing THAT one...

Anyway...
250ms
Male
With wired mouse.

Not lookin' good...

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Male

I really figured it would be faster. I wonder what M2K would score?
I kind of saw this and felt concerned
The average (median) reaction time is 215 milliseconds, according to the data collected so far.
My AVG is 252 . We're the same age so we're around the ballpark

What type of mouse are you clicking with?I'm using the macbook pad thing, which is maybe why its so slow

Last edited:

Metal Fish

Smash Rookie
I used to do this and a mouse accuracy test before playing league of legends. I found that i can get anywhere from 150ms to 300ms depending on my energy and attention levels.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I kind of saw this and felt concerned

My AVG is 252 . We're the same age so we're around the ballpark

What type of mouse are you clicking with?I'm using the macbook pad thing, which is maybe why its so slow
I used a regular old mouse nothing really special, honestly I know my reaction time is better than this when I'm actually playing and focused. I just did it to have some fun.

Seolh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Michaelias
I got a 321ms average (5 try’s)
On a iPad

Is that super slow?
Mobile devices tend to have high input delays.

PC with CRT should be the most accurate device for testing reaction time lol.

197 ms | 23 | Male

On a fast ips monitor, kinda A tier for input lag, whereas pro gaming TFTs should be S tier and CRTs SS tier, but who uses a CRT for anything except retro stuff or melee.

Last edited:

The Kirbyister

Smash Apprentice
Mobile devices tend to have high input delays.

PC with CRT should be the most accurate device for testing reaction time lol.

197 ms | 23 | Male

On a fast ips monitor, kinda A tier for input lag, whereas pro gaming TFTs should be S tier and CRTs SS tier, but who uses a CRT for anything except retro stuff or melee.
on my trash computer (inspiron 3153 amd A6) on one a got 500ms

wat

Sayabi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-8537-6804
177, 21, female. Been playing FPSes for years so my reaction time got sharper and my computer is super responsive, but still pretty proud of it!

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
Would my results be more accurate or less accurate if I use the built-in mouse on my laptop? Or is the type of tool used irrelevant? I suppose that the type of laptop used might be more important.

Someone else in this thread wrote that a PC with a CRT should be the best method to test someone.

I also have a wired mouse from Logitech. It's a Logitech M100 mouse.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Would my results be more accurate or less accurate if I use the built-in mouse on my laptop? Or is the type of tool used irrelevant? I suppose that the type of laptop used might be more important.

Someone else in this thread wrote that a PC with a CRT should be the best method to test someone.

I also have a wired mouse from Logitech. It's a Logitech M100 mouse.
Those would play a role. I suspect even getting close to the screen might make a difference.

The thing about fighting games is it's more about prediction, not reaction.

Top Bottom