• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

[collapse="Off topic"]Oh, ok then. No big deal, just was wondering.

And no, I meant the likes of; "Rayman Thread - Amongst the Legends" (as an example, not what we would use since it's for Ridley of course) Or something like that. Just to spice things up I guess, but it's fine either way. But thanks anyways.[/collapse]
Ohhh like how it's in self destruct mode.

Yeah if im chosen to be op i could totally do that.

Still think we should invite dastardlyridleylash but its not up to me.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Ohhh like how it's in self destruct mode.

Yeah if im chosen to be op i could totally do that.

Still think we should invite dastardlyridleylash but its not up to me.
Same. I though we did though, but whatever. Hope he could join though soon.

Edit:

Rayman doodle...

Ray1.png

Hope you like it..

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Uh oh.
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/22/nintendos-koichi-hayashida-wants-captain-toad-in-mario-kart/
I'm not worried that he might appear in Mario Kart.
I'm worried that one of the games that might feature Captain Toad is Super Smash Bros.
If this is true, the Mario series is going to have a whopping THREE newcomers. At the very least, let the fanbase for the character grow before shoving him down our throats.
Well, thing is, there is technically a fan base for Captain Toad, as people wanted Toad in Smash since Melee. Even if it's his own series that's been just established, honestly, Capt Toad is the only way for Toad to make an appearance as playable in Smash Bros, imo. Although the abundance of Mario characters is something I don't entirely agree with myself (7 if you don't count the alt Koopalings, which then would be 14), I could see Toad being the new Rosalina for the Mario series...at least what they reduced her after the first Galaxy game...

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Well, thing is, there is technically a fan base for Captain Toad, as people wanted Toad in Smash since Melee. Even if it's his own series that's been just established, honestly, Capt Toad is the only way for Toad to make an appearance as playable in Smash Bros, imo. Although the abundance of Mario characters (7 if you don't count the alt Koopalings, which then would be 14), I could see Toad being the new Rosalina for the Mario series...at least what they reduced her after the first Galaxy game...
I'm probably overanalyzing his statement.
Honestly, though, I would much rather have Wolf and Snake come back than for Captain Toad to be a new character.
But man, if that's true, that would be 8 Mario characters....
EIGHT MARIO CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!
I know Mario is their biggest franchise, but I don't like that the majority of the Smash roster seems to be from the Mario universe.
I really think they should leave it at Rosalina and Bowser Jr. Adding Captain Toad is crossing the line though. Leave the Mario universe as it is! It's perfect with the seven characters! I don't want three newcomers just from that franchise.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I say more mario characters isn't bad as long as we get more characters from other franchises too. DK and Metroid shouldn't be neglected dammit!
Agreed.
I just hope that if Captain Toad does get added as DLC, I don't want the chances of other characters to be reduced (namely, Rayman and King K. Rool).

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Agreed.
I just hope that if Captain Toad does get added as DLC, I don't want the chances of other characters to be reduced (namely, Rayman and King K. Rool).
I don't think DLC can be limited, it's additional content made by the company, there is no maximum amount of slots, I think. I guess the only way it could end is that they get tired of making DLC content, but I think money should make them still make DLC... And by that time, a possible Smash 5 might happen at that point anyways...

Last edited:

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Uh oh.
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/22/nintendos-koichi-hayashida-wants-captain-toad-in-mario-kart/
I'm worried that one of the games that might feature Captain Toad is Super Smash Bros.
If this is true, the Mario series is going to have a whopping THREE newcomers. At the very least, let the fanbase for the character grow before shoving him down our throats.
If you don't like Captain Toad...

...HAVE SOME MORE ROSALINA!!!

My waifu.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I don't think DLC can be limited, it's additional content made by the company, there is no maximum amount of slots, I think. I guess the only way it could end is that they get tired of making DLC content, but I think money should make them still make DLC... And by that time, a possible Smash 5 might happen at that point anyways...
There's a problem with this statement.
You see, Nintendo isn't like other companies in that they don't add DLC to their games willy nilly. If they release too much DLC for a game, people would think that they had released an unfinished product in the form of Smash 4.
Which isn't the case at all. Smash 4 has so much content that the average consumer would be satisfied with the game even without the DLC.
That said, if Nintendo is going to release a set amount of characters for Smash 4, I hope Sakurai uses those slots wisely. I don't want the likes of Captain Toad to get in over characters such as Rayman, King K. Rool, Wolf, and Snake.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's a problem with this statement.
You see, Nintendo isn't like other companies in that they don't add DLC to their games willy nilly. If they release too much DLC for a game, people would think that they had released an unfinished product in the form of Smash 4.
Which isn't the case at all. Smash 4 has so much content that the average consumer would be satisfied with the game even without the DLC.
That said, if Nintendo is going to release a set amount of characters for Smash 4, I hope Sakurai uses those slots wisely. I don't want the likes of Captain Toad to get in over characters such as Rayman, King K. Rool, Wolf, and Snake.
Considering how Hyrule Warriors has been doing with free DLC updates and all, I think Nintendo is realising how good this is

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
This is why I wish "DLC" was treated like "Expansions" back in the day, where it was made solely for more content that the fans request things they come add to the game. Now it's seen like how the other companies abused the system and make DLC with the intention of more money if you want to play more of the game. Which is wrong...

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Considering how Hyrule Warriors has been doing with free DLC updates and all, I think Nintendo is realising how good this is
To be fair, that's Tecmo Koei you're talking about, developers that have always added DLC to their games.
But who knows; maybe Nintendo gave them permission to do so.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Uh oh.
I always saw Captain Toad as a likely candidate for Smash 4 DLC or, if it doesn't happen, as a newcomer for the next-gen Smash, because honestly after Lucina and Bowser Jr. I don't believe in series quotas anymore. If Sakurai wants to add a character, he will add it regardless of roster balance, simple as that. He won't say "Oh, I added a newcomer to X series over Y which deserves more characters, I must find someone from this Y series to add!" (The only possible exception is third-parties series never getting more than one character, but even then Sakurai will break it if he wants to)

Though I'd be okay about waiting for SSB5 to get playable Captain Toad in Smash. With two unique newcomers, one returning cut clone, a revamped veteran, stage over-representation (six on Wii U and five on 3DS! a total of seven new stages! also TWO Mario Circuits?! compare these numbers to ANY other series), and SEVEN new items, the Mario series is getting a bit too much love this time around I think. Captain Toad could be a cool character, but with how much Mario got in SSB4 I'd actually care about the series' "overrepresentation" even though it's a concept I usually don't take very seriously. Well, asides from KI:U Sakubias, of course.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I always saw Captain Toad as a likely candidate for Smash 4 DLC or, if it doesn't happen, as a newcomer for the next-gen Smash, because honestly after Lucina and Bowser Jr. I don't believe in series quotas anymore. If Sakurai wants to add a character, he will add it regardless of roster balance, simple as that. He won't say "Oh, I added a newcomer to X series over Y which deserves more characters, I must find someone from this Y series to add!" (The only possible exception is third-parties series never getting more than one character, but even then Sakurai will break it if he wants to)

Though I'd be okay about waiting for SSB5 to get playable Captain Toad in Smash. With two unique newcomers, one returning cut clone, stage over-representation (six on Wii U and five on 3DS! a total of seven new stages! also TWO Mario Circuits?!), and SEVEN new items, the Mario series is getting a bit too much love this time around I think. Captain Toad could be a cool character, but with how much Mario got in SSB4 I'd actually care about the series' "overrepresentation" even though it's a concept I usually don't take very seriously. Well, asides from KI:U Sakubias, of course.
As sad as it may seem, I could see Captain Toad getting added as DLC over the likes of Rayman and Wolf. It just seems like a decision that Nintendo would make, given how bias Nintendo is to the Mario series.
I mean, just look at how poorly represented the Donkey Kong franchise is in Smash 4. It seemed as though the series would get a newcomer given the fact that the series experienced a resurgence in popularity. A TON of people wanted King K. Rool and Dixie Kong to appear in the newest Smash games, but we later found out that they were just trophies.
What even.
Expect Captain Toad to come to Smash 4 as DLC, guys. Expect him to get in over the likes of Rayman and King K. Rool. It's the cold, hard truth that will sadly be realized later this year.
I don't want it, but it's going to happen anyway.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Captain Toad manages to be a huge success in the future, he will probably take high priority when the next Smash roster is planned. As of right now, it's only Captain Toad's baby steps into becoming a Nintendo All-Star.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As sad as it may seem, I could see Captain Toad getting added as DLC over the likes of Rayman and Wolf. It just seems like a decision that Nintendo would make, given how bias Nintendo is to the Mario series.
I mean, just look at how poorly represented the Donkey Kong franchise is in Smash 4. It seemed as though the series would get a newcomer given the fact that the series experienced a resurgence in popularity. A TON of people wanted King K. Rool and Dixie Kong to appear in the newest Smash games, but we later found out that they were just trophies.
What even.
Expect Captain Toad to come to Smash 4 as DLC, guys. Expect him to get in over the likes of Rayman and King K. Rool. It's the cold, hard truth that will sadly be realized later this year.
I don't want it, but it's going to happen anyway.
Thing is, Nintendo doesn't decide who gets in, but the game's director, this is why I want Retro Studios to work on the next smash, not just for DK and Metroid bias, but because they love nothing more than listening to the fans

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Guys, Captain Toad has his own thread. This is the Rayman thread.
You're right. I apologize for getting this thread off topic.

So alot of people think it would be weird to compare Rayman to the likes of Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. Now, I can understand Sonic and Pac-Man, but Mega Man? If anything, I always thought it was weird to compare Mega Man to Pac-Man and Sonic. Also, Mega Man has sold 29 million copies, while Rayman has sold 26 million copies.
If Mega Man is iconic enough to get in Smash, then so is Rayman.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Sales don't equal iconicness:

This refers to Snake, but the statement works with Rayman too.
I guess you're right.
After all, maybe the majority of the sales of the Rayman franchise have come from the fans rather than new players.
This could also apply to Mega Man.

first off rayman is popular enough to be a 3rd party trophy so thats saying something (inb4 golden)
as for being iconic. . .

take people off the street and most likely more people will know mega man than rayman. well even before smash. its just the way it is. Mega man is outright huge in gaming. an Icon if you will.

so he is less iconic. but he is still pretty well known. plus he has been steadily outputting games unlike mega man. (other than 9 and 10 I believe) I think he could be a major contender for smash 5. maybe the contender other than konami who has seniority of brawl.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sales don't equal iconicness:

This refers to Snake, but the statement works with Rayman too.
He may be very iconic, but not at the same iconic standards as the big three.
No one is as Iconic as the "Big 3" (which whom I assume you mean Mario, Pac, and Sonic) so it falls to the next most "beloved", not iconic, Mega Man is beloved, not iconic. Any statements stating if someone is more "iconic" than another is falling behind. The Icons of gaming Mario, Pac-Man, and arguably Sonic are already in, now it just falls to what characters are most beloved by the Smash Fanbase.

Also one more thing.

iconicness
That's not a word. Sorry. :)

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
No one is as Iconic as the "Big 3" (which whom I assume you mean Mario, Pac, and Sonic) so it falls to the next most "beloved", not iconic, Mega Man is beloved, not iconic. Any statements stating if someone is more "iconic" than another is falling behind. The Icons of gaming Mario, Pac-Man, and arguably Sonic are already in, now it just falls to what characters are most beloved by the Smash Fanbase.

Also one more thing.

That's not a word. Sorry. :)
Agreed.
Rayman is beloved by alot of people.
And I agree with the statement that Mario, Pac-Man, and Sonic are the big three(by the way; could Pikachu also be considered to be one of the big three, if not the big four?).
As iconic as Mega Man is, alot more people know about Pac-Man, Mario, and Sonic than him. This also applies to Rayman.
That said, I think the next iconic characters are Rayman, Mega Man, and Snake.

Agreed.
Rayman is beloved by alot of people.
And I agree with the statement that Mario, Pac-Man, and Sonic are the big three(by the way; could Pikachu also be considered to be one of the big three, if not the big four?).
As iconic as Mega Man is, alot more people know about Pac-Man, Mario, and Sonic than him. This also applies to Rayman.
That said, I think the next iconic characters are Rayman, Mega Man, and Snake.
putting pikachu in the big 3 makes the big X pointless. Link luigi bowser etc are all probably bigger icons than sonic (maybe not pac). IMO big 3 should be mario and 3rd party for the sake of comparisons.

and I agree entirely with your next 3. can't think of anyone else that could be in the big . . .6

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
putting pikachu in the big 3 makes the big X pointless. Link luigi bowser etc are all probably bigger icons than sonic (maybe not pac). IMO big 3 should be mario and 3rd party for the sake of comparisons.

and I agree entirely with your next 3. can't think of anyone else that could be in the big . . .6
....Pikachu? :025:
Yes, I know you said you wouldn't include Pikachu, but there's no arguing that he's a pop culture icon.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I mean if you include all nintendo characters as all stars yo uget
mario
pikachu
pac man
link
luigi
peach
bowser
sonic
etc
it defeats the purpose of big mascots if it is full of one company
that and the big 3 is more of a mascot of a company kind of deal anyway
Right. If we were to have each company enter their most popular character, this would be the following:
Nintendo: Mario
Sega: Sonic
Namco: Pac-Man
Konami: Snake
Ubisoft: Rayman
Capcom: Mega Man
Yep, sounds about right. Sorry if I kept questioning you about Pikachu.

D

Deleted member

first off rayman is popular enough to be a 3rd party trophy so thats saying something (inb4 golden)
In before me, what?
Am I supposed to say something, or are you just trying to pick a fight?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Guys, I'm really sorry about the rant I made about Captain Toad earlier today. It was uncalled for and I'll always stick to talking about Rayman on this thread. Do you guys forgive me?

Top Bottom