• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
A new video by Artsy Omni on the Rayman leak.

Yeah, I really appreciate the fact that he apologized to the fans that were heartbroken (including me) that the leak was fake.
And he's right; those characters mean so much to us gamers, even if they are moving pixels. It would be a dream come true if a childhood character of yours made it into Smash, the melting pot of video games.
What's important, though, is that the leak has given Rayman so much momentum. Without it, I think we would still be in the 40s.
I forgive ArtsyOmni. I need to subscribe.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was never so much angry with him, just perplexed by the fact that he felt he had to make that Rayman art into a "leak" in order to get attention. I think he could have caught people's attention regardless.

Either way, I subscribed to him after watching the speed paint video.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Like? Megaman is still very iconic, he's pretty close to the iconic level Sonic is on at least.
Rayman is probably below Megaman's iconicness. He doesn't have a large fanbase in Japan too.
Not to say he's not gonna make it, but you can't compare Rayman to Megaman. :p
Lara Croft, Master Chief and the Angry Birds?

And no, he is most definitely not close to the level of Sonic's level of being recognizable as shown by the fact he has never been iconic enough to have said iconicness recognized in the way that Sonic has, who keep in mind was the first character to have a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Balloon. Sonic was one of the three game characters inducted on the inaugural Walk of Game class in 2005, along with his former rival Mario . More importantly, Sonic and his game was phenomenally huge and impactful at the time that he managed to rival Mario. Especially at his height, he even was iconic enough to the point where a 1992 survey was done where he ended up being more recognized than Mickey Mouse among the 6 to elev year old demographics.

Comparing Mega Man's iconicness to Sonic is very flawed and really wrong because at the end of the day, Sonic and his franchise has made a phenomenally huge impact on pop culture and video games in the way Mega Man simply has not to the point where he is more far more well-remembered to begin with. He was the famous anti-Mario to begin with.

Edit: Before anyone acts like I think Mega Man is obscure, I don't. I recognize his status as a video game icon with a wide appeal. It's just that he is clearly not on the level of Sonic.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Megaman was still huge enough to get his own TV shows, comics, manga, tons of music albums, and legion of several games. It's certainly more than what any other third party like Metal Gear Solid and Rayman got.
He's probably between Snake's and Sonic's level to say the least.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Megaman was still huge enough to get his own TV shows, comics, manga, tons of music albums, and legion of several games. It's certainly more than what any other third party like Metal Gear Solid and Rayman got.
This guy is actually trying to say that Megaman is on par with Sonic...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hey to be fair, I have a hard time finding and placing a character's exact iconic level and finding the right words to describe it. I just used the wrong words. :p

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering how beloved Mega Man is, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same in popularity, Mega Man was one of the most requested newcomers along with Sonic after all
With the exception of maybe Mewtwo, Mega Man was easily the most heavily requested character for Smash 4.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Can we all just agree that Sonic is easily more famous than Mega Man and Rayman?
This is the Rayman thread after all, not the Mega Man thread. If you guys want to rank characters based on how iconic they are, then you might as well start a thread based on that topic.
Otherwise, let's get back to discussing about Rayman.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Can we all just agree that Sonic is easily more famous than Mega Man and Rayman?
This is the Rayman thread after all, not the Mega Man thread. If you guys want to rank characters based on how iconic they are, then you might as well start a thread based on that topic.
Otherwise, let's get back to discussing about Rayman.
That's a pretty good idea actually, that way we don't have to think so hard who is the most iconic, but I probably would not be able to do that job well. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rayman got a cartoon.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
PAC-MAN
Mario
Sonic
Mega Man/Snake
Rayman

In my opinion.

Of course, arguing about this s ludicrous as all of them are iconic enough to get in Smash.

This is literally just a "my character is better than yours because arbitrary reasons" fight. Who cares who has more cartoons? They're all huge video game icons.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
PAC-MAN
Mario
Sonic
Mega Man/Snake
Rayman

In my opinion.

Of course, arguing about this s ludicrous as all of them are iconic enough to get in Smash.

This is literally just a "my character is better than yours because arbitrary reasons" fight. Who cares who has more cartoons? They're all huge video game icons.
My thoughts exactly.
Even if Mega Man is more famous than Rayman, Rayman is famous enough anyway to be in Smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
PAC-MAN
Mario
Sonic
Mega Man/Snake
Rayman

In my opinion.

100% agree.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do agree that Megaman is more known than Rayman, but there is quite a gap between Megaman and Sonic.
I agree. It's hard to get anywhere near PAC-MAN, Mario or Sonic.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is late but in case no one pointed it out Capcom milks EVERYTHING. Just look at Monster Hunter and Street Fighter.
Isn't Snake more famous than Mega Man?
Just curious.
Somewhat, yes. If only because he's been more relevant recently than Mega Man.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't imagine Pac-Man is still more well-known than Mario.
A recent study proved he was actually.

Isn't Snake more famous than Mega Man?
Just curious.
Depends on the crowd. Their circumstances are quite different but I'd place them in the same spot.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I mean....Pac-Man was back in the arcade days...when video gaming began it's high... I'm pretty sure Pac-Man is the most iconic, being the oldest to be the most known...

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
I'm join this thread!!
I'm a big fan of Rayman: It was my first videogame (The awesome "Rayman 3") of my life, and I wish that he could join the battle as a future DLC.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I'm join this thread!!
I'm a big fan of Rayman: It was my first videogame (The awesome "Rayman 3") of my life, and I wish that he could join the battle as a future DLC.
Welcome to the thread! *Insert generic "enjoy your stay" and "don't drink the water" message coming your way*

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm aware of that, but I don't even have the game itself to really contribute with sceenshots or anything.
Ah well, if you and @SnarkyCrow don't want to make Twitter accounts, then that's your decision, and I'll respect that.
A new video by Artsy Omni on the Rayman leak.

I have a ton of respect for this guy, subbed.
The Rabbids aren't Rayman. :p
Just a quick question are the Rabbids more iconic than Rayman?
They were for a while, but they've been falling in popularity, I think their TV show is still on and they have a movie in development sigh.

Top Bottom