• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
With the risk of sounding like a perv, I actually like Betilla's redesign in Origins, it would not work for Ly though.
Although Rayman would enjoy it :p
Untitled-1.jpg

xD At least RL/RO Ray would, the original one would be more like this ^ in my opinion.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Ly is supposed to appear in the game as a younger protector of the glade. she thinks Rayman is Dark Rayman and tries to kill him in a chase section. some concept art of this 'chase section' appears in an old video of him.
Huh. I see... That's an intersting plot point, but since this game is technically suppose to be a prequel to R2, it could show how the two met and became friends after Ly realizes Ray's good.

View attachment 51359
xD At least RL/RO Ray would, the original one would be more like this ^ in my opinion.
xD Haha, indeed he would.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Can I ask, what have you said so far that would be worth adding to the reasons for his inclusion? So we can have a bases of what to add?
Sometimes I summarize everything that would make Rayman a good addition.
I also focus on two positive traits of Rayman, such as:
  1. His uniqueness as a fighter.
  2. His history on Nintendo hardware
  3. Rayman Legends being published by Nintendo in Japan.
  4. How his series has sold 26 million copies.
  5. How he's got three trophies.
  6. Him being Ubisoft's mascot.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well... I guess you could add that because since Smash 4 has some content of Rayman characters in the game, he'd be more easier to obtain the status of playable character since Ubisoft gave permission to have him in the game to begin with or something. I don't have much else to add, atm...

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
View attachment 51359
Once again, great work!
Rayman, you love it! You know you do. :p

I would talk about the Artsy Omni leak, as well as the fact he's an icon.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Because of Smash 4's release.
I figured much. But didn't she do something with Mewtwo and Lucas when they got revealed? Maybe we'll still see some DLC related stuff from time to time when more get's revealed, I guess. Maybe one of Rayman if he get's confirmed.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Did you mention that it's also almost his 20th anniversary?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I figured much. But didn't she do something with Mewtwo and Lucas when they got revealed? Maybe we'll still see some DLC related stuff from time to time when more get's revealed, I guess. Maybe one of Rayman if he get's confirmed.
Yeah, I believe it'll get sporadic updates but don't quote me on that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah.
I also mentioned how Smash as a whole needs a non-Japanese character to join the battle, and how Rayman would bring a ton of diversity to the roster.
Diddy is "Non-Japanese".

Honestly, him being Non-Japanese is irrelevant. Especially since Zelda, Metroid, and Sonic sell very mediocre in Japan.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Diddy is "Non-Japanese".

Honestly, him being Non-Japanese is irrelevant. Especially since Zelda, Metroid, and Sonic sell very mediocre in Japan.
To be fair, I think Nintendo had SOME creative control over how Diddy was made, so he's part-Japanese, part-British.
I'm just saying, Rayman is COMPLETELY from the West. That's what sets him apart. I want to let Sakurai know that the West has a place in Smash.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
To be fair, I think Nintendo had SOME creative control over how Diddy was made, so he's part-Japanese, part-British.
I'm just saying, Rayman is COMPLETELY from the West. That's what sets him apart. I want to let Sakurai know that the West has a place in Smash.
Especially since it's mostly supported mostly in the west by comparison...

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not really.

The only thing Nintendo had to with Diddy was denying him being DK Jr. Nintendo told Rare to either keep the old design for DK Jr. or make a totally new character out of the design.

Besides that? Nothing.

I do get what you're saying but I don't think just being "Non-Japanese" makes him diverse from the rest of the cast.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Yeah. Another thing I'm also putting heavy emphasis on is Rayman Legends being published in Japan by Nintendo.
That's good. And I worded poorly, as I meant in terms of the Smash fandom, the West has more support by comparison than the East. With that a western character should be considered at least just because of all the support we give towards Smash at the very least...

AreJay25

Honestly, the only thing that should keep Rayman out is whether or not Sakurai wants him in. His lack of popularity in Japan should not really be a factor when Sakurai felt the need to acknowledge him in-game. That should at least give him some exposure over there. And of course, like mentioned, RL getting published by Nintendo in Japan also negates this, as it shows Nintendo at least tried to get some good sales from it.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm sorry I just realized I kinda came off as hostile.

The point I'm trying to get across is this: I absolutely can't stand when people call a character unique only for the fact that it's made by this person in this place and is supported by this group. That's not something anyone should care about. Yes, it is cool that Nintendo would expand its horizons to bring in such characters but using that trait as a defining reason is just wrong. It should never be about where a character came from but what a character can bring in the way of gameplay.

That's just my opinion of course. I just don't see why being Non-Japanese is such a big deal, and this isn't just a shot at our fan base multiple fan bases do this as well. It shouldn't matter but, for some reason, it does.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I think having a non-Japanese franchise in Smash would be great, but it really shouldn't be a reason to be included. It's like with females in Smash, they should get in because they deserve it, not due to their gender.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
The ballot was open worldwide, so it's not like Sakurai is only taking votes from Japan. Like I said in the Rate Their Chances thread, it's all a matter of whether or not Sakurai cares about Rayman.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Look.
The only reason I included that reason on some of my vote forms is because Sakurai tends to be bias to Japan the majority of the time.
From now on, I will not include that reason.
Happy? Good. I'm happy if you're happy.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Look.
The only reason I included that reason on some of my vote forms is because Sakurai tends to be bias to Japan the majority of the time.
From now on, I will not include that reason.
Happy? Good. I'm happy if you're happy.
I honestly don't blame you, as it showed in the past Sakurai would withhold characters, either Japanese ones or not, if they were unknown enough to the general audience (despite Marth and Roy at the time) just so he wouldn'y alienate the fans. But I guess now, especially for Rayman's case, that wouldn't be an issue since,well, the internet, people across the world should be more aware who's who at this point in time anyways, and Rayman should count by this for the most part.

In all honestly, yes, it shouldn't matter if a character doesn't come from Japan or not. But it shows before that Sakurai can and would dismiss a character's inclusion if they really were too obscure to the general audience. Whether or not someone thinks you shouldn't think about a character's origin should matter, that opinion only matters if that's how Sakurai really thinks himself. Only he and Nintendo will decide, whether or not a character will be added into Smash Bros via DLC.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Last edited:

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663

AreJay25

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Wow, I didn't see the "Travis smashified", Artsy is a very talented man, congrats for him..

Did I say this?

#Rayman4Smash

Top Bottom