• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Are we talking about the Rayman Origins backstory now?

Honestly, I think the backstories of Rayman and his friends keep changing not just every game, but rather whenever it feels like doing so.

We see Rayman being created by Betilla with his hair, but in one of the backstories, it shows him bald. Should I even be taking any one of these stories seriously?
Well...like before, maybe it wouldn't be wise to do that...just so things won't be complicated...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well...like before, maybe it wouldn't be wise to do that...just so things won't be complicated...
I will never take seriously anything related to RL/RO, because the changes are so...drastic, that it doesn't feel to conect with the original trilogy...aside from how Rayman acts, Poloku's design in those games kind of bothers me.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
We see Rayman being created by Betilla with his hair, but in one of the backstories, it shows him bald. Should I even be taking any one of these stories seriously?
I do personally like the idea of Betilla creating him.
Inconsistent continuity is honestly one of my biggest problems with the series. It's not that big of a deal, but I would like one consistent world. It's a head cannon of mine that the Glade of Dreams just grows and grows between games, explaining the many different locations.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You know what always bothered me? Globox falling for that carboard cutout of a pink Glute in a bikini.

He has a wife and 300+ kids, there's so many things wrong with it.

They always keep screwing with the character personalities.

AndreaAC

Globox went from a cowardly but lovable buddy with a family to an annoying nitwit and cheater and then whatever Origins was.

I don't even want to get started on Rayman because I think even Origins was an improvement.

Still better than just disappearing entirely like the rest of the cast of Rayman 2.
Well, for you it was an improvement, for me it really wasn't. But, everyone has their own tastes.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, for you it was an improvement, for me it really wasn't. But, everyone has their own tastes.
If you ignore the initial reveal trailer of Origins, there's nothing in the game directly to really indicate any personality from Rayman, he's just a silent protagonist who's maybe a bit too cheerful, but it's pretty much exactly how he was in the first game anyway.

Globox is another story, I don't know how he went from a coward to progressively more brain dead.

The Teensies are always great though.

AndreaAC

If you ignore the initial reveal trailer of Origins, there's nothing in the game directly to really indicate any personality from Rayman, he's just a silent protagonist who's maybe a bit too cheerful, but it's pretty much exactly how he was in the first game anyway.

Globox is another story, I don't know how he went from a coward to progressively more brain dead.

The Teensies are always great though.
I always thought that in the first game he was like, a little kid, that's why it made sense to be that cheerful, BUT, what always bothered me is that "supposedly" Origins takes place after 3, and by the way he acts and sounds, it doesn't make sense, it's like something hit him in the head and started to act stupid.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I always thought that in the first game he was like, a little kid, that's why it made sense to be that cheerful, BUT, what always bothered me is that "supposedly" Origins takes place after 3, and by the way he acts and sounds, it doesn't make sense, it's like something hit him in the head and started to act stupid.
Well they mostly fixed the somewhat dopeyness of Rayman in Legends, he's a lot better there.

I still think it was better than urine jokes and Edgy McCool (ok really, the early 2000's was filled with that crap).

Him going from Rayman 3 to Origins might not make sense, but neither did the transition from 2 to 3. Was he supposed to be going through his teenage years in 3 or something? He couldn't have been that young in Rayman 2, which just makes it worse for me.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
But they didn't disappear.:troll:
And Ly if you count the handheld games since been with Rayman until Raving Rabbids for the DS.

She just hasn't appear via the consoles since R3, however. Either way, personality changes aside, as long as you just like the characters the way you do, that's all that matters, really....

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Well they mostly fixed the somewhat dopeyness of Rayman in Legends, he's a lot better there.

I still think it was better than urine jokes and Edgy McCool (ok really, the early 2000's was filled with that crap).

Him going from Rayman 3 to Origins might not make sense, but neither did the transition from 2 to 3. Was he supposed to be going through his teenage years in 3 or something? He couldn't have been that young in Rayman 2, which just makes it worse for me.
I think that's actually the case, but, whatever, the thing is that I will never feel comfortable of how he is in Origins and Legends, but I will always like the way he is in the original trilogy. Again, personal preferences.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Well, not to but in, but that's exactly what I thought was happening to Rayman in R3, going through a phase. And honestly, despite going from "cool and collected" from "sarcastic and "edgy"" still made for a more "growing" Rayman than one that went for a lack of a better word, ******** for little to no reason.

Imo, what made him seem "edgy" to you in the first place? Really, it's way more tame than the likes of Shadow the Edgehog and such....

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think that's actually the case, but, whatever, the thing is that I will never feel comfortable of how he is in Origins and Legends, but I will always like the way he is in the original trilogy. Again, personal preferences.
O/L may as well not have any story, so he's just a silent protagonist to me, but that's only my perspective.

The opening cutscene in Origins was really pathetic, but after that there was nothing but playing through the levels.

Well, not to but in, but that's exactly what I thought was happening to Rayman in R3, going through a phase. And honestly, despite going from "cool and collected" from "sarcastic and "edgy"" still made for a more "growing" Rayman than one that went for a lack of a better word, ******** for little to no reason.

Imo, what made him seem "edgy" to you in the first place? Really, it's way more tame than the likes of Shadow the Edgehog and such....
I was thinking more of Sonic himself than Shadow, think Classic Sonic to... Sonic with a mouth. He even copied the SA2 shoes.

The teenage phase thing doesn't make sense... in R1 he might have seemed like a kid, but he seemed like a grown adult in Rayman 2 (his best friend being Globox, who has a wife and kids, which would lead to some unfortunate indications if he weren't an adult), so going from that to Rayman 3 made less sense than Rayman becoming a mute and maybe a teensy bit dopey.

As to how he seems edgy to me... I'll refer to his first line of dialogue in the game (in regards to Globox).

"Knowing what a scaredycat he is he's probably hiding some place." Followed by Sonic's patented foot tap, even.

I just can't see Rayman being a jerk to his best friend (behind his back no less) like that, but there it is. He's a hero, not a bully.

Though most of it comes from the attitude of the game itself, if I ignore it and go by just the gameplay, I like the game far more, but it's impossible to do so since the game forces terrible dialogue down your throat while you're playing.

Which is why I prefer mute Rayman over snarky sarcastic Rayman.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
O/L may as well not have any story, so he's just a silent protagonist to me, but that's only my perspective.

The opening cutscene in Origins was really pathetic, but after that there was nothing but playing through the levels.

I was thinking more of Sonic himself than Shadow, think Classic Sonic to... Sonic with a mouth. He even copied the SA2 shoes.

The teenage phase thing doesn't make sense... in R1 he might have seemed like a kid, but he seemed like a grown adult in Rayman 2 (his best friend being Globox, who has a wife and kids, which would lead to some unfortunate indications if he weren't an adult), so going from that to Rayman 3 made less sense than Rayman becoming a mute and maybe a teensy bit dopey.

As to how he seems edgy to me... I'll refer to his first line of dialogue in the game (in regards to Globox).

"Knowing what a scaredycat he is he's probably hiding some place." Followed by Sonic's patented foot tap, even.

I just can't see Rayman being a jerk to his best friend (behind his back no less) like that, but there it is. He's a hero, not a bully.

Though most of it comes from the attitude of the game itself, if I ignore it and go by just the gameplay, I like the game far more, but it's impossible to do so since the game forces terrible dialogue down your throat while you're playing.

Which is why I prefer mute Rayman over snarky sarcastic Rayman.
Well, from moments at the end of R3, with the spaceship kart you shoot enemies with, the one scene at the end shows he still cares for Globox thinking he crashed and such. But Globox there did that just to play a joke on Rayman, just to scare him, and that can be just as bad as saying what Rayman said about him being a scary cat is being kind of a jerk. But they both do things like that, because they are the kind of pals like brothers, who always pick on one another but deep down they still love each other.

Although I can understand the nature of Rayman 3 Rayman being akin to Sonic's attitude and such, but it really wasn't as bad to a point where Rayman acted like a jerk to everyone he met, he's just a bit more cocky and has a bit more attitude. Rayman 2 Rayman was the way he was because he went through a apocalyptic world, at the beginning it shows he lost all hope. But after all he went through thanks to all of his friends and company, he manages to save the world despite the odds. Being able to handle someone that apparently destroys worlds for a living, would make sense why he being cocky in himself and show more courage and attitude after that point in time, imo.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, from moments at the end of R3, with the spaceship kart you shoot enemies with, the one scene at the end shows he still cares for Globox thinking he crashed and such. But Globox there did that just to play a joke on Rayman, just to scare him, and that can be just as bad as saying what Rayman said about him being a scary cat is being kind of a jerk. But they both do things like that, because they are the kind of pals like brothers, who always pick on one another but deep down they still love each other.

Although I can understand the nature of Rayman 3 Rayman being akin to Sonic's attitude and such, but it really wasn't as bad to a point where Rayman acted like a jerk you everyone he met, he's just a bit more cocky and has a bit more attitude. Rayman 2 Rayman has the way he was because he went through a apocalyptic world, at the beginning it shows he lost all hope. But after all he went through thanks to all of his friends and comapny, he manges to save the world despite the odds. Being able to handle someone the apparently destroys worlds of a living, would make sense why he being **** in himself and show more courage and attitude after that point in time, imo.
There's one point in Rayman 2, after he rescues Globox. Globox is off cowering because of the Pirates and when Rayman goes back to him, what does he say? "There's no shame in being scared, you know." How he went from kind and understanding to snarky and sarcastic is beyond me, and just comparing that one line to the first thing he says in Rayman 3 just kills me.

Might just be me, I had my own troubles with bullying growing up, so my favorite character acting like that was a slap to the face.
Keep in mind, Rayman said this when Globox was gone, he was talking badly about him behind his back, that's not joking around.

You'd think going through what he did in the second game would only make his attitude better, not worse. Come to think of it, he saved his entire world from an army of planet destroying space pirates yet in R3 he's terrified of the Knarren, that's not more courage. Honestly, it feels more like they ignored everything that happened before and he's some rookie on his first rodeo.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
There's one point in Rayman 2, after he rescues Globox. Globox is off cowering because of the Pirates and when Rayman goes back to him, what does he say? "There's no shame in being scared, you know." How he went from kind and understanding to snarky and sarcastic is beyond me, and just comparing that one line to the first thing he says in Rayman 3 just kills me.

Might just be me, I had my own troubles with bullying growing up, so my favorite character acting like that was a slap to the face.
Keep in mind, Rayman said this when Globox was gone, he was talking badly about him behind his back, that's not joking around.

You'd think going through what he did in the second game would only make his attitude better, not worse. Come to think of it, he saved his entire world from an army of planet destroying space pirates yet in R3 he's terrified of the Knarren, that's not more courage. Honestly, it feels more like they ignored everything that happened before and he's some rookie on his first rodeo.
Hmm, you could see that from that point of view like he talking badly towards Globox being bad there I guess, although I still doubt it's because he actually doesn't care about him thanks to the cut scene at the end of the game. But maybe with the game designers wanted to appeal to a newer audience and such, they wanted to make him more acceptable to the newer generation at the time, and make things a bit more "child friendly" and easier backstory wise or so, maybe that's the case. Thinking about it, maybe Rayman 3 took place at a different time from Rayman 2 or so, if the Knarren shouldn't seem so scary to Rayman from the Henchman armada of Rayman 2 by comparison. But even than, the Knarren was stated to be invincible, so that would make more reasonable sense to be afraid of them because of that, I know I was at the time.

Sorry that the personality change touch a bad place in your childhood and such, but I don't think they were going for a Rayman that treated his pal like **** for the sake of not caring about him, they go through a whole adventure together for peep sake. But more of the thought brother love and just like to mess around with each other, and well, Rayman despite telling nothing being wrong being afraid and such from R2, that doesn't mean it's not the truth when he says he's a scary cat since he still is one despite what was said in the previous game when Globox maybe should of became a bit less so. But really, Globox fits that kind of quota, being the scared big lovable oath.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I think personality wise, the Rayman 3 version of Rayman is my favorite. Aside from nostalgia, I've always loved the sarcastic, yet heroic and even kind characters. I've said this before but 3's version of Rayman reminds me a lot of Raphael, who is one of my favorite Ninja Turtles. I can see why that wouldn't hit well with people, but I like 3's incarnation the best. I also like O/L incarnation, since despite having a huge grin, isn't stupid. He was a lot more immature in the original story, but when they changed it to a sequel, he was a guy who was 100% dedicated to his job and willing to help those in need while having a bit of fun.

Last edited:

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
My favorite design is the Rayman 3 one, but my favorite Rayman game is the second. For parts, I like the argument in R3, yeah the dialogues were a bit different but I don't complain about them, and the first time I saw Globox running to that pink Glute, I was like.. "What would Uglette and your sons think of it?!" It was strange.. but now that I think.. Uglette did first with Dark Globox.

The first time I played Rayman 3 I found his personality very changed.. but he hasn't so much dialogue through the game. I enjoy very much Rayman Origins and Legends as platforms games with one of my favorite characters, but I hate his personality.

One day, when the world was invaded by rabbids during years.. one day a Ray of hope came from the sky, it was the E3, I wasn't expecting to see something new of Rayman because of the rabbids popularity, and I was like :D, but then.. happened this:

I know this is from the first trailer and he's changed, but I don't like so much how is he in those games, I think in Rayman 2's Rayman and in this game one and in my opinion is too different, but hey, they change him a lot between games.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

My favorite design is the Rayman 3 one, but my favorite Rayman game is the second. For parts, I like the argument in R3, yeah the dialogues were a bit different but I don't complain about them, and the first time I saw Globox running to that pink Glute, I was like.. "What would Uglette and your sons think of it?!" It was strange.. but now that I think.. Uglette did first with Dark Globox.

The first time I played Rayman 3 I found his personality very changed.. but he hasn't so much dialogue through the game. I enjoy very much Rayman Origins and Legends as platforms games with one of my favorite characters, but I hate his personality.

One day, when the world was invaded by rabbids during years.. one day a Ray of hope came from the sky, it was the E3, I wasn't expecting to see something new of Rayman because of the rabbids popularity, and I was like :D, but then.. happened this:

I know this is from the first trailer and he's changed, but I don't like so much how is he in those games, I think in Rayman 2's Rayman and in this game one and in my opinion is too different, but hey, they change him a lot between games.
xD Oh, you, you are totally right, probably he found it out or the two did it willingly. >_>

And well, like I said before, his original 3 appearances will be always the best, because I feel that they show how he grew up, from a little kid to a teenager. And that has more sense than randomly starting to slap people in the face and suddenly be hyperactive. But I will say it again, personal preferences.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Don't know if I asked this before or someone did..

But what do you think about the baby Globoxes design, I mean the redesign for RRR? Which do you prefer?
....There was a redesign?
Guess I didn't notice.
Anyways, regarding Rayman's redesigns in different games, R3's Rayman is my favorite, with Origins/Legends' Rayman taking second.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Operation Rayfall is off to a solid start this week as I managed to pass out 7 vote forms. As of today, the total amount of potential votes for Rayman stands at 146.

AndreaAC

I remember he was a coward in TV Party (seriously, he runs away from the Rabbids like they're threat), not sure about the other ones.
Besides, you can see he's pretty much fed up with them, getting pissed off fairly quick, but, I don't blame him.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I remember he was a coward in TV Party (seriously, he runs away from the Rabbids like they're threat), not sure about the other ones.
It sure does make sense how someone that's taken down a dark magician (sorta), an entire army of robot pirates and the literal embodiment of evil is afraid of screaming rabbits.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It sure does make sense how someone that's taken down a dark magician (sorta), an entire army of robot pirates and the literal embodiment of evil is afraid of screaming rabbits.
True. Maybe it was more of a spin off kind of thing or so.

But then again, that would explain why he seems to have went nuts in Origins, honestly...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I think he became paranoid because of them, after dealing with them for a long time, having to hear their "DAAAAAH!" screams, their pranks, and well, they humiliated him and made him literally an slave. that's what I think.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I think he became paranoid because of them, after dealing with them for a long time, having to hear their "DAAAAAH!" screams, their pranks, and well, they humiliated him and made him literally an slave. that's what I think.
If you take what was shown in the DS version of Raving Rabbids, than yeah, that's what happened to Rayman, the Rabbids enslaved him.

AreJay25

True, I forgot about the enslaved part. Still, he was captured by the Robo-Pirates for a bit. :p

Last edited:

AreJay25

Honestly, was the Robo pirates that scary? Sure, they are compared to the Rabbids, but still...the Knarran seems more scary then they did...
Good point. The Knaaren are definitely the most intimidating.
... Which just furthers my point even more. :p

Top Bottom