• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Oh this will be fun to watch straight from the start. Play nice everyone.

No insults or "hipster" callouts. Im sure you can remain civilized.

(Who am i kidding this will be a bloodbath probably)

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So this is the first time I've posted in the thread since we reached 100 (Has it really been 18 days...? Time flies quickly in the Trial HSC exams). And we'll be re-rating King K. Rool in light of the Mii Costume. This is going to be a very interesting day.

Original Chance: 87%
There was very little doubt... Arguably THE most wanted character worldwide, with limitless moveset potential, a newcomer for a series that is well deserving and in need of a new character... Everything was perfect for him...!

This has literally thrown a huge spanner into everything. Some Kutthroats have given up hope completely thinking that it's all over, some are baffled, thinking is this the end? Or is the King closer than we imagine him to be? Remarkably, even in the face of adversity, new Kutthroats have emerged from the shadows since the King K.Ostume. Not to mention that the ballot isn't over yet, so why rool out K.Rool when it's not even over?

New Chance: 90%
Many of us Kutthroats believe that a costume should in no way mean the complete deconfirmation of a character. Not to mention that most characters that are already playable have Mii Costumes too, such as Samus, Link, or even content not in playable form have Mii Costumes, such as Magician's Red The Flying Man or Chrom. The only other instance where a popular Nintendo newcomer is being threatened by a Mii is the Inkling, and the grounds for these assumptions are justifiable, given they're only a year old in Nintendo's nursery of new all-stars. (still doesn't stop me wanting them...)

King K. Rool has EVERYTHING going for him. Since the Ballot's announcement, King K. Rool has seen an incredibly strong and stable support base, constantly being near the top of polls that suggest a likeness of all the potential ballot votes. And there's good reason for this - Boundless moveset potential. From his blunderbuss gadgets such as kannonballs and vacuum suction, electric traps and helicopter pack, krown toss, there's enough for King K. Rool to be a unique character.

And for my thoughts on the costume - It's probably a teaser made to address his support base. We've
NEVER seen this design of K. Rool before - a perfect shoutout to the RÅRE games with the golden belly and tail and the PAON gem. Could this be a potential hybrid design for a new K. Rool model? Or was it based on a working model that they decided to make extra money from in the form of a Mii Costume?

Regardless - My Want: 100%
King K. Rool has been one of my most wanted since Ridley's role as a Stage Boss was confirmed. He's the Newcomer the Donkey Kong series needs, and the one Super Smash Bros deserves.

...Bit of an early bird, aren't I? I need to get back to work... But what is there left to do after my trials...

Oh, wait. I just realised I came back for Rayman.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh this will be fun to watch straight from the start. Play nice everyone.

No insults or "hipster" callouts. Im sure you can remain civilized.

(Who am i kidding this will be a bloodbath probably)
This will be a really... really long day... Poor K.Rool fans, so many opinions will make K. Rool the character with the rates most radically different *Prepares Flame Shield*

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
Rundas:
chance
- 0%
want - 50%

i don't have any personal investment in the metroid franchise, so i'm neutral toward the possibility of his inclusion, but he's nowhere near a viable choice for a metroid rep, so he simply doesn't stand a chance.
Baby Mario and Luigi:
chance
- 5%
want - 80%
i picture the pair as a sort of ice climbers semi-clone, and considering the already extensive mario section of the roster, chances of inclusion are low, but not impossible. however, as we currently lack ice climbers or a similar substitute, i definetly would like to see that type of character brought back into the smash roster.
King K. Rool Re-Rate Prediction:
i predict we'll see something close to 75%.
Nominations:
Amaterasu x 5

(p.s. did i do all this right? first time on the thread.)
EDIT: well this is embarrassing, i started writing before the day change. after looking back at what was posted while writting i find that the day ended, i appologize for posting this post day end. i will be more punctual with further posts on this thread.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
King K. Rool

ORIGINAL SCORE: 90%

New Chance: 90% - 1 costume = 89% Chance.

I don't think the Kostumes don't mean much to be honest as we don't know if the Kostumes actually disconfirm a Kharacter that wasn't a veteran. He's still arguably the most requested newcomer overall with a good moveset potential. And he's an iconic Kharacter in the Donkey Kong series, relevance be d***ed. And the upcoming DLC is suppose to be about *fanservice*.

I'm still head strong the Kaptain himself will make the kut.

Want: Still 100%

Him, Wolf and Lloyd are my only requested Kharacters for DLC. And he's an exceptional singer.

Predictions:

Ballot runner up representation: 17%
Mrs. Pac Man costume: 3.45%

Nominations:

Additional/ 8+ all star rounds x5.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
RUNDAS
CHANCE: 1.84%
WANT: 27.92%

BABY MARIO
CHANCE: 1.91%
WANT: 15.17%
Here are two of our lowest rated characters ever. Next up we're rating King K. Rool, and some of you couldn't wait to start :). Also please predict what score the concepts of Ballot runner ups recieving non-playable representation and Ms. PacMan alternate costume will receive tomorrow.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Inkoming Kingly debate in the kluttered thread.

King K Rool

Chance: 50%
Want: 80%

You know what, this is an honest koin toss for me. Massively demanded? Yes. Seemingly giant obstacle as of kurrent? Undeniable. Spekulation is wild. I kan't make a solid verdikt yet, so I'll give an equal possibility to both sides. Don't let that mislead you, though; while admittedly not my top wanted kharacter for DLC, I like everything that's been done for him during spekulation and I wholeheartedly support his inklusion.

Predictions:

Ballot runner ups recieving non-playable representation: 20%
Ms. Pac Man alt: 2%

Nominate: Concept: DLC to promote new game x10

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Im gonna post this earlier, if you don't mind.

K.Rool.
Chance:ABSTAIN.

Yes, im abstaining on rating K.Rool's chances due to the lack of confidence i have with myself to give K.Rool a reasonable, unbiased chance score.
I feel that any score i could give him would be either delusional or either too pessimistic, as such i decided that i would feel better to simply not do it. Sorry.

Want:100%
Let my tell you a small story, about how he sparked my interest on Sm4sh speculation back in 2013:

I remember the days back during the Pre-Release hype, when Pic of the Day's were still a thing and when the Gematsu was just gaining strenght.

Out of all the threads that i saw one that i was intrigued, the K.Rool thread.

As time progressed, the Kutthroat hidden in my body started to bloom, and so my support on K.Rool began.

I remember all those moments of anger and salt that happened not just to the K.Rool fans, but to the Smash fanbase in general.

Gematsu (i like bringing Gematsu, ain't i?) ESRB leak, the Chunky Kong rumor and so on.

When the Ballot started, My goals and wishes for Smash DLC were clear, and K.Rool was among them.

K.Rool is not even my most wanted character! (that honor goes to Simon) but i have never been this close to a community until now, and it's all thanks to my wish to express my desires for Smash to other people.

K.Rool may have lost his chance, but i, The Cool Interfering Speedwagon will always support my Beloved King.

One of Us, One of You.

-------------------------------
Noms:
Ryu Hayabusa X5

Now if you excuse me, i must evacuate this thread before it gets crazy.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Don't really want to skip this one as this is a biggie!...
previous rating
King K Rool
Chance: 90%
-been seeing K Rool supporters everywhere so popularity isn't an issue, the Donkey Kong franchise has established itself fairly well throughout the years so having a third rep isn't so unrealistic
Want: 60%
-never really got into the DK series all that much myself so personally I don't really care if he does or not. With that said I'm not against getting another heavy villain into the roster, if he's in cool, if he's not oh well...
King K Rool

Chance: 95%
Mii Costume eh? Is this bad? Nope. Absolutely not! If anything this is a good sign for K Rool. Everybody is literally up in arms with their UNCONFIRMED FAN MADE RULES!!! K Rool being a mii Costume AND a playable character is not out of the question. Heck we got a Samus Mii Costume at the same time. Literally at the same time. This isn't like the Megaman costumes and the Link costume who are slightly different the Mii Costume is the same design as the playable character....

Why do I think it is a good sign? First off, I believe his Mii Costume was determined early in development which does not take the Ballot into consideration, but this means that K Rool was at the very least on Sakurai's mind. And the fact that he used K Rool's Rare design means he's aware of what the fans want (I'm pretty sure K Rool fans prefer his Rare design, I'm not really one of them, but I think that's the case at least, it's like Ridley fans preferring the Super Metroid design) and second, He's got a model in the game now...it can be altered to fit into a Character or into a Mii Costume depending on how you look at it...

Either way...I believe the Mii Costume mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when it comes to a character's chances for DLC...if anything it makes them more likely since they were at least on Sakurai's mind...with the exception of Chrom since his Mii Costume is the least of his concerns...Mii Costume are pretty easy to make so Sakurai could literally just whip up a model and plop it onto a Mii and instant DLC...

----

Want: 60%
Nothing's really changed here, I'd be happy for the fans but he could very well be a fun character to play as well...

----

Nominations:
SSB4 is the last SSB x2
Pirate Ship x2
New Mii Fighter Archetype x1

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
King K. Rool

Chance: 55%

This character is still the only newcomer likeable than not for me... But is now in a "coin toss" position about his chances because his really weird situation.

Also, his DLC Costume is strangely detailed and doesn't it based in a Smash Bros Trophy.

Want: 75%

I don't have a personal affection for the character... But, his followers has gained my respect and show me why this character actually deserves to be in Smash Bros, K. Rool is the ONLY character that can make me said that. I'm not a fan, but would be happy to see him in the game.

Predictions:

Ballot Runners No-Playable Representation: 35.4% (Is practically imposible put any popular and wanted character... So... I actually see something like this possible and likeable).
Ms. Pacman Alt: 1.4%

Nominations:

Idolm@ster Mii Costume x3
Rerate! Shantae x2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kan already sense the khaos that will transpire today.

King K. Rool

Chance: 25%

He's still not out of the question due to his high demand, but I think that Mii kostume might be a sign that Sakurai doesn't see any moveset potential in him.

Want: 100%

This kroc is still one of my most wanted kharacters alongside Zael and Simon Belmont.

Predictions:

Ballot Runner-Ups Receiving Non-Playable Representation - 2.4%

Ms. Pac-Man Alt - 1.3%

Nominations: Snake Rerate x5

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
King K. Rool Chance: 30%

While the costume seems to hurt his chances, I don't interpret this as a disconfirmation. K. Rool remains one of the most popular choices for a DLC character, and the costume in no way prevents them from adding him in. Still an ideal choice for DLC.

King K. Rool Want: 100%

This is a dream I want to see realized.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Inkoming Kingly debate in the kluttered thread.

King K Rool

Chance: 50%
Want: 80%

You know what, this is an honest koin toss for me. Massively demanded? Yes. Seemingly giant obstacle as of kurrent? Undeniable. Spekulation is wild. I kan't make a solid verdikt yet, so I'll give an equal possibility to both sides. Don't let that mislead you, though; while admittedly not my top wanted kharacter for DLC, I like everything that's been done for him during spekulation and I wholeheartedly support his inklusion.

Predictions:

Ballot runner ups recieving non-playable representation: 20%
Ms. Pac Man alt: 2%

Nominate: Concept: DLC to promote new game x10
I kan already sense the khaos that will transpire today.

King K. Rool

He's still not out of the question due to his high demand, but I think that Mii kostume might be a sign that Sakurai doesn't see any moveset potential in him.

This kroc is still one of my most wanted kharacters alongside Zael and Simon Belmont.

Predictions:

Ms. Pac-Man Alt - 1.3%

Nominations: Snake Rerate x5
The Ks. The Ks. The Ks.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Layyydies and gentlemen! Welcome to main event of the game! Brought to you this evening by Rare and Nintendo in association with K. Rool Enterprises. Introducing...

King K. Rool
Chance: 90%
Remember how in a past interview Sakurai mentioned how Bowser Jr. was almost cut but other characters didn't have the same luck? What if K. Rool was one of them?

There's something interesting about the Mii costumes. Most are based on already existing models of characters and assist trophies like Link and Isabelle. There are also costumes for characters that appear in trophy form like Zero and Black Knight. Sakurai actually created a 3D model for the Flying Men of Magicant but 3DS issues ocurred and the easier solution was a 2D model. Finally there's Chrom which as we know was heavily considered until Robin took his place yet still assists him as a final smash.

See where I'm going with this? Almost all of the character based DLC costumes are based on already existing models in Smash 4. However K. Rool's costume looks totally different from his trophy appearance. Sure there's also the Inklings but they were clearly made to advertise even more Splatoon (Nintendo really advertised it a lot... even in ice creams). Heihachi and Akira? Well, if Capcom got a character from its most known fighting franchise, it seems nice for Sega and Namco to receive a similar treatment, plus it also helps to advertise Project X Zone 2. Finally Lloyd. In a recent interview, Sakurai mentioned how he had certain Namco characters like Heihachi in mind but decided to go with Pacman. Lloyd could have been in his mind at one point. Also Namco helped develop the game so it's nice for them to receive more acknowledgement even if it's just a costume (Tales of is a fan favorite of Namco).

So if you bothered to read all of this, then I can affirm you that K. Rool clearly still stands a chance. I'd say K. Rool looks even likelier now because there's a high chance that the costume could be based on his playable model. Time will eventually tell us.
If there's someone who I've always felt holds a true significance to Nintendo yet hasn't debuted as a playable character, it's K. Rool. Despite his lack of appearances as the years have passed, he's still remembered by many Nintendo fans as a memorable, funny yet cruel villain that helped define DK's games. I'll continue supporting him until his finest hour finally arrives.

Nominations
Captain Rainbow x5

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Alright. Let's just get this over with. Quick and easy; like ripping off a band-aid...
Disclaimer: I don't want anyone replying to my rating looking for a debate. This also goes for tagging or PMing me. This is my opinion; I've thought long and hard about it just like I do all of my opinions. I've basically heard it all and considered everything. Nothing anyone says will get me to change my views on this controversial subject. I'm not in the mood.

King K. Rool
Chance: 7%
You know what this King K. Rool Mii Fighter costume feels like to me? A consolation prize. Sure we've had costumes of other characters already playable, but never one that preceded a newcomer. Just like the days when we loathed learning about a new Assist Trophy disconfirming a character via a Pic of the Day, it seems to me that Sakurai has still managed to find a way to do just that by creating Mii Fighter costumes of some of the more popular candidates according to forums on the Internet. In my opinion, I think K. Rool is basically done, and it honestly doesn't surprise me if he is. Yeah I was shocked as to how they revealed the Mii Fighter costume and all so suddenly at that, but in the end I think I understand why Sakurai decided to do this. K. Rool is a character that appeals to many on this website and online Internet forums in general, but there are many more fans of Smash who don't really care for this character. It's really no skin off Nintendo's back if Sakurai decides against K. Rool; just like he did for Ridley. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, and Sakurai will still go about choosing characters that he feels work best. For whatever reason, Sakurai might not feel that K. Rool is right for this game. It might be his moveset potential, relevancy within his franchise, wanting to save him for the next Smash, etc. We don't know for sure.

The point is that the ballot is probably what it always has been. A suggestion box. That doesn't mean that a popular choice won't get in, but it doesn't necessarily confirm the most popular choice. This is the way I've always seen it. Even way back when I rated him with you all on the first day I was skeptical of his chances because I wasn't sure if his popularity would be enough to convince Sakurai to make him playable, but I wasn't as confident in my reasoning until K. Rool was shown off as a Mii Fighter. Pure popularity isn't the only deciding factor here. Never has been. In the end, it's still up to Sakurai and whatever his factors are that go into choosing a DLC character. Now I'm not saying K. Rool is completely disconfirmed, but in my opinion his chances are now very low. With all of that said, I'll rate the King with a new total of 7%, which is a 53% drop from my original rating.
I'm not setting my expectations too high for this character's chances...

Want: 35%
This is the same want rating I gave K. Rool the first time. I just don't really care for the character myself, but I understand why a lot of you guys do. I think that the Donkey Kong franchise is long overdue to receive a new playable character considering how iconic it is with recent entries to boot. I don't really care whether it's K. Rool or Dixie Kong. I'm personally not that attached to either. I just hope we at least get one or the other so that the Donkey Kong fans will be satisfied.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I really don't know if the kostume is something really that bad, but I definitely think it affects his chances.
I still remember when I rated Ridley with like an 80% in chances, even after his shadow thing, I don't want to make the same mistake.

-K.Rool:
Chances: 25%
Want: 70%

-Nominations:
Rerate Snake X5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
King K. Rool

I'm not even going to bother reposting my original score. Too much has changed...here goes...

Yes. That low. I'm not going to pretend that the costume did anything to improve his chances in my eyes. All of the current arguments sound like the same straw grasping we did in the Ridley thread, and we see how that turned out. I'll admit: we have absolutely no precedent for anything, but I've got to look at things logically here.
  • :4falcon::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4peach::4zelda::4samus::4sheik::4wario2: all have Mii hats in the vanilla game.
  • :4link::4samus: Mii outfits were added as later DLC.
All of those Mii outfit additions happened either at the same time, or with the full character coming first.

Now, the following characters all have a Mii outfit (or hat) added WITHOUT being playable (yet):
  • 3rd party: X, Proto Man, MegaMan.EXE, Zero, Akira, Jacky, Heihachi, Lloyd
  • 1st/2nd party: Barbara, Daisy, Mii Force, Mii Prince/ess, Shy Guy, Waluigi, Majora's Mask, Dunban, Isabelle, Inklings, K.Rool, Flying Man, Chrom, Black Knight.
As much as I'd love to think of this as a 'Meta Knight' scenario, where they teased us with the Meta Knight hat two days before revealing him in full, that isn't right. After all, they did reveal MK TWO DAYS later instead of dragging out the agony. Also, MK was a veteran. K.Rool, on the other hand, has not been revealed yet, and is not a veteran. In fact, dragging out the agony seems like when Nintendo made loads of nebulous references to a mysterious purple dragon, and we all know how well Ridley's playablility went... Look at the group K.Rool is in - we've rated only some of those characters, and they have almost no chance according to this thread. The ones we haven't rated...is because nobody cares about them enough to nominate them. In essence, K.Rool is rubbing shoulders with the reject pile, and I don't see anything that makes K.Rool special here.

Now K.Rool does have one chance - the ballot isn't over yet, and the costume did get K.Rool a lot of votes. By this point, there are only two characters whose ballot presence has gone up despite being 'deconfirmed,' K.Rool and Ridley - two of the original 'Hype 3.' If Nintendo is taking account of the ballot, they've got to see this, and they'd be smart to put the Rool (and Ridley) in.
But...Nintendo doesn't always do what seems most logical. After all, it seems they were hiding Ridley for so long in an effort to hype him up. You could even think that the K. Rool costume is them trying to drum up hype. And we raged. Why? Because we didn't want a bone thrown to us. These characters have been requested so long, we want to finally see them playable. If we're getting brand new characters with lukewarm fanbases in, why not established characters with strong fanbases? K.Rool and Ridley were requested even since Melee in 2001 - how many characters in SSB4 weren't even around then? Anything less just seems like Nintendo trying to shut us up and pretend that some reference is on the same order as a full character while they parade the latest flavor of the month.

There's also one other thing in the way. Dixie.

On this thread, we've given a one-in-four chance that we'll get two characters from the same franchise. If Dixie is preplanned - which seems likely, since she was planned for Brawl, and two of the pre-ballot DLC are showing off the movements that were planned for Brawl - Nintendo could be thinking that DK is getting the DLC representation it needs and doesn't need more. K.Rool's popularity may have caught Nintendo off-guard since he's been absent for a while, whereas she's been featured in the latest games. The costume could be their attempt to acknowledge the Rool, but of course that seems like a weak gesture for such an underserved franchise. In a game that's giving the Kid Icarus franchise as much content as it does (including a third character, as much of an 'afterthought' as he was) DK deserves both. I just don't think Sakurai cares enough to give us more than one of the two, and fear we may not have a choice.
Despite having played a grand total of half a DK fame (I got the DK64 N64 bundle), I know K.Rool is highly important to the series. It was really the Kremling thread here that got me into him (thanks @BKupa666). I was pretty bummed after the costume reveal, and that really proved to me how much I wanted him - even more than Wolf. I'm still praying that Ridley and K.Rool will both show up for DLC - I don't think anything would hype the community more. That'd be a great way to end the DLC, so I hope they decide to do that. Great way to go out with a bang!
Predictions:
Non-playable rep for others: 89.9%
Ms. Pac-man: 1.1%
Nom: Dixie rerate x5
EDIT:
@M.P. wins for Rundas, and @ CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica and @WeirdChillFever win for Baby Mario.
Thanks! 5 more for Dixie.

Last edited:

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
WELL since i'm still here, and the day is changed, and i don't want to post late again, might as well weigh in now.
King K. Rool:
chance - 90%

want - 50%
I can't say that i support King K. Rool, i'd describe myself as neutral toward him. However, i see him as being virtually confirmed at this point, thanks to the costume. while some saw the costume as a negative sign, i see it as a sign that they've already began developing him. his costume was made new unlike other costumes... or was it, necessarily? i see it as most likely forged from the assets of his smash fighter model in the works, or completed... besides, with the sheer amount of community activity surrounding him combined with sakurai's claim to fanservice, it makes perfect sense that he'll be added.
Predictions:
Ballot runner ups recieving non-playable representation - 50%
Ms. PacMan alternate costume - 30%
Nominations:
Amaterasu x 5

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm on mobile, so forgive me for not having my usual format this time around.

King K. Rool
Chance: 1% - I think that the costume really took him out. He was bundled along with the lower-ranking ballot characters like Lloyd and Chrom. That is Sakurai probably showing that he views them all on par with each other.

Want: 0% - I plan on rating characters a lot more critically now. Anyways, my liking towards him really dulled over time. Some of it due to some (NOT ALL) of the people in the fanbase. Getting upset at Smashified because they 'didn't make him like Rareware' and some not even being greatful about the costume. I can understand being upset, but at least you have something. A lot more that can be said compared to other characters. Like I said though, some, not all. Plus, I think the 1111 move set for the Brawler kinda works. Maybe Sakurai felt the same?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Aye, kan't this kroc katch a break these days. He's already been though a krappy day with the kostume kontroversy already.

King K. Rool

Chance: 40%

Just apply everything I've said the last time about him being a high demanded kharacter and you have someone originally used to be an extremely likely DLC choice. Then that all changed when the Mii Nation attacked.

So in a way, the Mii Fighter kostume extremely hurts the kroc's chances. But that still doesn't mean those chances are kompletely dead since there's still enough time for Sakurai to see how heavily demanded he is. So think of it as a free advertisement to tease people into pushing him some more even if it acts as a means of saying that they can't make him a fighter yet. This is still his finest hour even if something as silly as a Rare-era K. Rool outfit for a krazy Mii exists. He's still in a good position despite that ol' gunshot wound from the Mii Fighter and we will dominate the ballot until the bitter end.

Once a Kuttthroat, always a Kuttthroat. I shall not falter like the Ridley fans and give in to the detractor's strawman attempts and "logic" over a simple skin for a kharacter popular with casuals. The Donkey Kong Kountry franchise had been endured enough of a kontent drought from Sakurai and I still want K. Rool in Smash. What's more badass than a kartoony kroc that dresses up in a different kostume in every game and steals bananas from Kong's on a daily basis? Or even beating his own henchmen for their failures and still have a fandom unlike the two losers that stole his thunder during the Retro Studios era (A freaking edgy walrus and forgettable tiki golem)? Literally no one and that's more thane hough of a reason to support K. Rool like every other Smash fan here.

This is Big Red, over and out!

Predictions:

Ms. Pac-Man Alt - 1.3%

Nominations: Mini Kangaroo x5

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Until Nintendo brings the kremlings back to a mainline Donkey Kong game, I will say K. Rool's "chances" are next to 0. Which is a shame, because he is a character I have been supporting for a long time.

So... Chances: Around 0%, 10% in the best case scenario. Want: 80%. I want him, but not as much as Dixie Kong, Inkling and a certain other villain.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
King K. Rool

Chance - 33.75% - I'm cutting a quarter off my original score. While I don't view it as complete disconfirmation, I say it's a pretty big blow. I was always kinda a pessimist about everything, and I may have underrated him back then, but now, it's hard to say. The big question of whether this was predetermined and whether this has no effect on the ballot are both things to consider. Honestly, I can't say. For certain, while I do think that this is going to be a big hit, we can't call him out quite yet.

Want - 75% - Not a personal want, but something that I can see working out.

Predictions

Ballot Runner-Ups revive non-playable representation - 34.54% - General Pessimism, maybe?

Ms. Pacman alternate - 5.64% - About the same as Ken's score as an alt.

Nominations
Fossil Fighters T-Rex X5

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
K. Rool.
Chance: 35%. My opinion is pretty much the same it has always been on his chances. To sum it up...
- - - - His series is alive: and completely ignored him twice. I feel its the reason he wasn’t in the initial game, and there’s a chance Sakurai wouldn’t want to give him such a huge role because Retro’s not using him.

+ Recent VC releases. Probably don’t matter, but those unfamiliar with him can at least know who he is.

++ He has popularity. As such, I feel his chance is higher than most potential newcomers if I’m wrong and that’s the only thing needed to warrant a newcomer.

Want: 25%.

While I used to like the King, I’ve mostly stopped caring for him ever since TF came out, and feel he should come back in his own series before even being considered as a fighter. I wouldn’t exactly complain if he joined since he’d give off some nostalgia, but would much rather see Dixie or Cranky due to them being…active.

Nomination: iDOLM@STER mii costume x5.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool

First I would I like to address the big issue here. We all know King K. Rool has a Mii costume, but does this impact his chance and if so how?

King K. Rool is noteworthy of being one of the top vote getters in polls around the internet; frequently placing in the top 3 of polls with over 3,000, and many people believed him to be a shoo-in. King K. Rool is highly requested in the west and Japan unlike many voted for characters. He even has the biggest Newcomer community here on SmashBoards; a website dedicated to all things Smash Brothers. Now Smash fans question if K. Rool will even win the ballot because of the recent appearance of a costume. I however believe this costume to be a sign of something positive.

Many say that the costume is a way for Sakurai to compensate fans for K. Rool not winning the ballot; however, if this where the case where are the Mii costume for all other popular characters who didn’t make the cut. Why would Sakurai go out of his way to make a costume only for K. Rool but not other vote getters?

Where are the costumes for Isaac, Krystal, Wonder Red, Sceptile, Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Impa, and other popular first-party vote getters? You can’t possibly mean to tell me that all of those characters are going to be ballot winners, but not K. Rool. You can’t use the costume as evidence that K. Rool is done when he and Inking (whose costume was probably implemented to promote Splatoon) are the only two popular characters that have been turned into costumes thus far. A total of 24 costumes have been made to date and only 2 of them are popular ballot characters. If anything King K. Rool’s costume shows that Nintendo hears K. Rool’s fans and acknowledges them. This is something other character’s fan bases cannot say.

Furthermore, Sakurai has NOT once stated that K. Rool or any character that has a costume is deconfirmed.

I would like to make a small note that K. Rool’s Mii costume uses a different model (his Rare model) then the one displayed on the trophy (his Paon model) and so far he is the only costume character with a trophy to do this. That means Sakurai’s team had to go out of their way to make this model instead of pulling design elements from his trophy.

Next I would like to point out that characters such as Meta Knight had a Mii mask revealed before he was ever confirmed and both Link and Samus have costumes available for purchase even though they are already available in the game as characters for free. Also, do I even need to point out the fact that many discounted Toon Link when he appeared on the background of the Spirit Tracks stage?

If K. Rool is really as popular as people think then it would be smart for Nintendo to milk this for everything that it is worth then reveal him as a character later. Although, I hope Nintendo and Sakurai are not so dimwitted that they think fans of popular characters would be happy to see their favorite character turned into a costume instead of being turned into actual characters.

Now that everything regarding the costume is out of the way I would like to discus some of the other reasons as to why K. Rool is a likely character.

People often argue that K. Rool isn’t relevant however this is not the case. There is a difference between being relevant (important) and being recent. King K. Rool is a relevant part of the Donkey Kong series being there since the implementation of the Country entries serving as the series antagonist in 7 main Donkey Kong games and 3 spinoff games. This is excluding Mario Sluggers (his most recent appearance) where he also appeared as a playable character on DK’s team. Even if people try to argue that K. Rool isn’t recent they are forgetting he made multiple appearances on both the Wii and Ds which were just the consoles of the previous generation (where Shulk and Little Mac’s most recent appearances also comes from).

Donkey Kong has also had 3 new games in recent years and Sakurai would have to very bias to ignore how successful these games were as well.

King K. Rool fills a lot of criteria that people want from a new character.

Unique moveset potential

Another Heavy character (we didn’t even get a new one in this game)

Another villain

Another Donkey Kong character

Chance: 80% 75%

I have wanted K. Rool since Brawl and know he is LONG overdue.

Also not to mention the DK series and all of its fans have been completely shafted this time around. Donkey Kong is Nintendo’s forth bestselling series (excluding the Wii series) being only behind Mario, Pokémon, and the Zelda series and has a variety of characters to choose from, yet Sakurai has neglected the series. Donkey Kong has been around since the beginning of Smash and is a gaming Icon in his own right yet Sakurai refuses to acknowledge Donkey Kong country’s accomplishments and give the series more than two characters. This would be a good opportunity for Sakurai to make amends with all of the DK fans.

Finally, I would like to say the ballot has NOT ended yet and no one knows the final results except Sakurai and his team.

Last edited:

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
K. Rool

Chance: 10% The King just has too much going against him at this point, he hasn't appeared in a main series game in years and to top it off a Mii Costume of him was released. I just don't see Sakurai releasing a paid DLC costume of a character only to later release the actual character. This definitely feels like a nod to all of his supporters and a "better luck next time" from Nintendo.

Want: 90% One of the very few characters not in Smash Bros that I really want. K. Rool (along with Dixie) would have finally given the DK series the representation it deserves.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I stopped caring about RTC a long time ago, I'm only here out of obligation to my king.

King K. Rool -

Chance: 80%
Believe it or not, yes, I do believe this. I know I'm one of the few who believes this, but I actually think him having a costume actually raises his chances, since he's actually getting recognition for something, and its not like they based it on his Paon model either; its a brand new model. I think the K. Rool costume is a predecessor to K. Rool getting announced later, and I fully disagree with the "casual voter" arguments (who the hell would they be voting for anyway?) and "just a suggestion box" (especially since these two arguments CONTRADICT one another, but the "suggestion box" argument falls flat because popularity will still play a huge role in who gets picked).

Anyway, that's all I have to say.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
K rool change:10%
The mii costume to me is seen as a conslation prize.Saying thanks for the votes but k rool not getting in.I feel this way for the inklings and i feel this way for k rool.Will we ever know why K rool got stuck with a mii outfit.Probably not but i personally cant see an outcome where we get k rool as a full fludged playable character.Maybe next time big guy.

K rool want:70%
More DK content is always wanted.I would pefer dixie or cranky but K rool would be amazing and he totally derseves it.

slippy x 4
vaati x 1
(Please PM when we rate slippy)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Ugh, sorry for double post but my last post didn't post properly, I'll try to delete it after this

Quick version
KKR Chance/want 60%

Predictions
Ms Pac-Man 2%
Other thing 20%?

Nominate
offline tourney x5

A question for later, if I nominate DLC characters returning to Smash5, what is the chance that when the day comes, it would be rating each dlc character individually?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
K.Rool
Chances: 87%
After careful thought and consideration, I don't believe the costume hinders his chances all that much. I mean yeah, Sakurai clearly seems to have some kind of problem with the character, but as of right now outside of some choice veterans, it's clear that K.Rool is dominating the polls, and I don't think that's going to be ignored by November. Sakurai saw the reaction to the outfit, and he says he doesn't want the fans to be dissapointed, so I think he knows what to do now.

I've been supporting K.Rool since pre-Brawl, I've wanted him for a long time. He easily fits in my top ten. I'm still kinda surprised he's not in yet, just doesn't make any sense.

Predictions
Ballot Runner-Ups revive non-playable representation: 73%
I think a lot of people are convinced that Sakurai is turning characters that just didn't make the cut into Mii Outfits. The odds are going to be high on this one.

Ms. Pacman Alt costume: 24.3%
I don't think this has a chance, but some people seem convinced that specific characters are going to get alts.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
King K. Rool:
Chances: 60% You know, The Mii costume thing really can go either way, it could be considered deconfirmation, and it could not affect his chances at all, we don't really know for certain. I'm still of the belief he'll make it, but I really don't know what the costume means for him. I do think though, that it's definitely still possible to add him.

Want: 95% I love K. Rool, his franchise needs more reps, and his fanbase is a really cool bunch of fellows and I think they deserve to get him after all this time waiting.
Nominations: Bubsy x 5
Predictions: nonplayable rep- 40%
Ms. Pacman 8%

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There is one argument I see coming up quite a bit here about whether or not a Mii Costume was added before or after a character was added to the roster...

So apparently it doesn't matter having a Mii costume for a fighter that was apart of the roster before their respective outfit was added, but it does matter if they weren't added yet? Whaaa? How does this make sense? It's still a duplicate role if you want to count it as such whether or not it was added before or after makes no difference especially after the fact when DLC is all said and done, 'but I already bought a K Rool Mii costume so why should I buy the playable character?' same reason people bought Link, and Samus's costumes after both characters were already in the game....
This is yet another example of a fan-made rule, this one in particular has already been debunked by several examples already in game but the argument against it isn't even a feasible argument...

The same sort of thing with the Inklings, my guess is that the costumes were merely for promotion for the game and were quick and easy to make instead of rushing a fully fledged character, but yet a lot of folks seem to think that means Inklings won't happen for DLC at all...

The Mii's are customizable characters and can be treated as such by adding hats and costumes from various 'Nintendo-themed' elements, which already included some from the playable cast...

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The King is dead! Long live the Mii!

...Wait, what the-

He's getting back up!?

--

Rerate: King K. Rool

Chance: 75% -> 65%

What a crazy couple of weeks this has been. That bombshell of a Mii costume reveal had us all panicking for a couple days, afraid other frontrunners would be next. Fortunately, we didn't have to see any other big names get the costume treatment--and even got an incredible one based on the Black Knight! Now this question remains: What does this costume do to the odds of the King himself getting in?

There're a few things I've noticed. For one, Sakurai hasn't said anything on the matter yet. With the shock decomfirmations we've had before, he's always been pretty quick to respond. He addressed fans' disappointment with Ridley being a stage hazard. He explained why Robin got in and Chrom didn't literally a couple days after the former's reveal. And yet it's been almost two weeks since they revealed the K. Rool costume, and he hasn't said anything.

Furthermore, what of the costume itself? It's a really well done likeness of the King from his glory days on the SNES. That is a big deal! It's based entirely on his older design--not the modern one depicted in his trophy, not updated like how Roy got a makeover to match the art style of newer Fire Emblem games, not even a hybridized look like what the Star Fox characters use! Could this costume be a deliberate throwback based on a specific appearance, like with some of the other Mii costumes we've seen?

Or there's the fact that we have costumes already for Link and Samus. You could argue the Link one is based on a different incarnation of the Hero than the playable ones--the one from Skyward Sword, specifically--but there's no mistaking the Varia Suit.

Based on everything we know...I believe this costume doesn't hurt K. Rool's chances much at all!

Want: 75% -> 75%
What can I say? Even if he isn't my most wanted newcomer, he's still in my top five. Even with all of this craziness, he's still the Ballot frontrunner, still a fan favorite character, and still has moveset potential for days that'd lend toward him feeling like no other heavyweight out there.

Prediction for the Concept of Non-Playable Content for Ballot Exclusions: 33.50%
I wonder what the chances are of this one being the inverse of tonight's rating...

Prediction for the Concept of a Ms. Pac-Man Alternate Costume: 8.75%

If the regulars weren't confident about Ken, I don't see them having much more confidence in this one.

Nominations:
Concept: Golden Sun Stage x5

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Haven't posted in this thread in a while. This is a good time to come back I suppose...

King K. Rool
Chance - 80%
I really don't care about the Mii costume. King K. Rool is a highly requested character. The fact that he's a Mii costume to begin with shows that Sakurai has at least acknowledged him. I'm not saying that this improves his chances, but I see no reason to believe they go down.

Want - 90%
Would love to see him in the game. He has a lot of potential to be a really unique character. Even if it's a toss up between him and Dixie for me. Still, I'll be happy if either one gets in.

Predictions:
Non-playable Ballot Content: 10%

Ms. Pac-Man: 3%

I don't see either of these happening...

loganhogan

Smash Ace
K. Rool

Chance- 5%
Want- 33%

I view the costume as a deconfirmation especially because he was paired with the rejects (Chrom, Lloyd). I don't side with him or Dixie but Dixie being part of the forbidden 7 makes me think she's the safer bet.

Top Bottom