• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Wonder Red chance: 80%
Yes, that high. He certainly has the fan vote, and he has limitless potential. Plus, the fact that he isn't third party helps him more than others.
Want: 1010%. I love his game, and it needs more attention. Nobody deserves to be in smash more than him.
Except maybe K rool, and Isaac. And wolf.

Playable NPC prediction: 30%.

Nominations: Paper Mario x5

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Wonder Red

Chance: 40% - I did a short bit of research on the Wonderful 101 (as per the suggestion of Sogeki). The game itself seems to have been met with moderate success. I mean, it wasn't critically acclaimed or anything, but it was in no way a bad game. This plus the fact that Wonder Red is the main character, he has a bit higher of chance. However, it's only been one game, we don't know how PlatinumGames feel about using him, and even then Wonder Red seems to have fan competition with Bayonetta (yeah, looking up this one's going to worry me when it's time comes).

Want: 15% - I really have to apologize, but I can't come to like a new character out of the blue within just one day. I didn't play Wonderful 101, and I know next to nothing about Wonder Red himself. I mean, before even today's rating, I hadn't really heard of him (I mean, I might have seen his name a few times, but I never really heard much about him). I'll give a 15% though as to please fans. Maybe by the next time we rate him, I'll have gained more information about him, and thus develop more of an opinion of him.

Predicting NPC Concept: 34.67%
I assume when we say "NPC" we mean characters like Miles "Tails" Prower running in Green Hill Zones background, not characters like Waluigi or Ridely (Assist Trophy/Boss)

Nominations (Still open to suggestions by the way)
X3 Roy is an alternate for Marth (Olimalph)
X2 This is the last Smash Bros. Game
* Both concepts

Last edited:

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Wonder Red

Chance: 40% - I did a short bit of research on the Wonderful 101 (as per the suggestion of Sogeki). The game itself seems to have been met with moderate success. I mean, it wasn't critically acclaimed or anything, but it was in no way a bad game. This plus the fact that Wonder Red is the main character, he has a bit higher of chance. However, it's only been one game, we don't know how PlatinumGames feel about using him, and even then Wonder Red seems to have fan competition with Bayonetta (yeah, looking up this one's going to worry me when it's time comes).

Want: 10% - I really have to apologize, but I can't come to like a new character out of the blue within just one day. I didn't play Wonderful 101, and I know next to nothing about Wonder Red himself. I mean, before even today's rating, I hadn't really heard of him (I mean, I might have seen his name a few times, but I never really heard much about him). I'll give a 10% though as to please fans.

Predicting NPC Concept: 34.67%
I assume when we say "NPC" we mean characters like Miles "Tails" Prower running in Green Hill Zones background, not characters like Waluigi or Ridely (Assist Trophy/Boss)

Nominations (Still open to suggestions by the way)
X3 Roy is an alternate for Marth (Olimalph)
X2 This is the last Smash Bros. Game
* Both concepts[/quote
If Roy were an alt, he would be a Lucina alt, since he doesn't have the tipper.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Wonder Red
Chance - 18%
Not a basket I would put my eggs in, so to speak, but it's not outlandish. Unless it's a retro icon, Sakurai doesn't seem to like including characters from franchises without any foreseeable future. He's got a loud fanbase, but not a large one. I don't see it happening.

Want - 10%
I haven't played the game, and from what I do know, he doesn't look like a character I'd enjoy playing. Even in the realm of characters I'm not personally familiar with, there are others I'd prefer to see.

D

Deleted member

Wonder Red

Chance: 30%

Despite The Wonderful 101 being developed by Platinum Games of Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising fame, Wonder Red and the rest of his team of viewtiful super heroes are properties of Nintendo. Red also isn't brutally violent (Jack Cayman from MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns) or excessively sexualized (Bayonetta), so if that development studio were to get any representation, he would be the top contender.

W101 may have performed poorly in sales, but that didn't stop Sakurai from acknowledging the game by including trophies based on six of its most prominent characters. I think Red's inclusion all comes down to how highly requested he is, his moveset potential, and what Hideki "I'll block all Smash idiots!" Kamiya had for lunch. Just don't bother him about it on Twitter, please. You'll avoid an insult and a block from Kamiya if you don't.

Want: 85%

Wonder Red Thumbs Up.gif

Nomination: Simon Belmont x5 - "What a horrible night to have a curse."

Last edited by a moderator:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Actually, Roy's sword's sweetspot is the hilt of the blade, so technically it doesn't make sense for him to be an alt for either, or he loses his "gimmick".
A gimmick based off of Marth's gimmick. While very unlikely, and I don't see it happening myself, I have to wonder if this would actually be a thing, as Lucina herself was going to be an alt originally.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
A gimmick based off of Marth's gimmick. While very unlikely, and I don't see it happening myself, I have to wonder if this would actually be a thing, as Lucina herself was going to be an alt originally.
The reason Lucina ended up her own character, instead of being an alt, was because of the sword lacking a tipper. So if Roy is coming back, it follows that Sakurai will almost certainly bring him back as his own character, and not an alt.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The reason Lucina ended up her own character, instead of being an alt, was because of the sword lacking a tipper. So if Roy is coming back, it follows that Sakurai will almost certainly bring him back as his own character, and not an alt.
I commend you for your debate and the evidence you have shared, but I believe we must save this discussion for another day. Today is all about Wonder Red.:)

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think it includes all NPCs. Specifically because one of the people who frequently nominated the concept mentioned wanting to have this discussion over with before Ridley gets his day.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Wonder Red:

Chances: 16%
Want: 5%

-Nominations: Pichu X5

Wonder Red chance: 80%
Yes, that high. He certainly has the fan vote, and he has limitless potential. Plus, the fact that he isn't third party helps him more than others.
Want: 1010%.
So biased it hurts.

Wonder Red is not really that popular, he is not even popular in Japan.
Every character has potential.
Being a first party ≠ likely.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
<insert witty superhero comment here>

Wonder Red

Chance: 45%
The game Wonderful 101 was developed by Platinum games, but much the same regards as Pokemon, Wonder Red still has 1st Party privileges being owned by Nintendo. He's got a fair amount of representation in the game already with some trophies as well as some music so Sakurai recognizes this character at least. I had a look at some moveset possibilities and there's definitely something that Sakurai can work with. Also people seem to want him in Smash, as I have seen his name circulating around quite a bit...
However, his game hasn't done all that well on the market, which could indeed hurt his chances, but at the same time Smash can give the game a boost as it has done with other franchises such as Earthbound and Fire Emblem. There's also some shenanigans on twitter that's been happening that may leave a bad impression on the character as well.
And finally he's got a fair bit of competition when it comes to fan support, Wonder Red has a decent following but it doesn't really stand as tall as other fan favourites for DLC such as King K Rool, Isaac, Dixie Kong, etc. DLC is a different story then making the initial cut, and Wonder Red didn't, will Sakurai think it is worth putting Wonder Red for DLC, maybe...if the fan support is there it could happen...I don't want to throw in an optimitic vote for a character that hasn't done to well on the market, but at the same time it isn't unattainable either...

Want: 15%
I don't really have any interest in this character or his game. but I'm open to his possible inclusion into Smash. There are many characters I'd want before him especially for paid DLC. I wouldn't really be bothered either way though...

Prediction: 38.4%
NPC's Become Playable
I feel things may go either way, Sakurai hasn't stated anything in regards to this as a possiblity but there are indeed factors that can actually make it possible to do if it gets to that point. Being an NPC isn't necessarily a deconfirmation. (ie. Toon Link in Spirit Tracks stage) At the same time I feel like any Assist Trophies and Poke ball-mons are pretty much a rejected characters list if anything...(though both Little Mac and Charizard did get the upgrade from previous games so anything can happen) I look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this subject...
Prediction for "playable NPCs": what is this%
If you're unsure NPC's are 'Non-playable characters' and it refers to characters that already appear in the game such as Assist Trophies, Poke Balls, Stage Hazards and Boss Characters, pretty much anything but regular Trophies as that has already been proven to not matter for DLC. As you can see I have three in my signature being Midna (Assist Trophy), Dark Samus (Assist Trophy), and Ridley (Boss Character)...

Nominations:
Midna & Wolf Link x2
Dark Samus x2
Concept: DLC for Alternate Moves x1
Proposing a new concept possibility...Alternate moves differ from Custom moves by being a completely different attack rather than a variation of the same attack. (ex. Link instead of using his Bombs, would swing his Megaton Hammer, or Ganondorf instead of using his Warlock Punch Charges a powerful projectile)...I know chances are unlikely for this happening but I'd like to see the discussion regardless...

FancySmash

Smash Lord
<insert witty superhero comment here>
Concept: DLC for Alternate Moves x1
Proposing a new concept possibility...Alternate moves differ from Custom moves by being a completely different attack rather than a variation of the same attack. (ex. Link instead of using his Bombs, would swing his Megaton Hammer, or Ganondorf instead of using his Warlock Punch Charges a powerful projectile)...I know chances are unlikely for this happening but I'd like to see the discussion regardless...
Oh, you mean Palutena? (Nothing to worry about, just a little joke is all :laugh:)

Sorry for the joke, it's just that alternate moves remind me of Palutena, as she seems to have these rather than custom moves. Either way, I'd like to see alternate moves as well. Give Bowser the Koopa Klaw from Melee, or Dr. Mario FLUDD... actually that one seems a bit weird...

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
To compare with my other ratings. I'm of the opinion that Nintendo will milk the DLC hype train for as much cash as they can, and recent events have only strengthened that notion. As such, I expect plenty of DLC characters.

:wolf: Chance: 99%
Want: 100%

King K. Rool Chance 80%
Want: 75%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 70%
Want: 95%

Isaac Chance: 65%
Want: 85%

Captain Toad Chance: 58%
Want: 90%

:popo: Chance: 50%
Want: 80%

Inkling Chance: 50%
Want: 20%

Rayman Chance: 40%

:snake: Chance: 40%
Want: 60%

Dixie Chances: 39%
Want: 49%

Sceptile: 25%

Impa Chance: 25%

Banjo Chance: 20%

Krystal Chance: 15%
Want: 0%

Quote Chance: 10%
Want: 95%

Shantae Chance: 5%
Want: 15%

Shovel Knight Chance: 3%
Want: 70%

Wonder Red Chance: 10%

The Wonderful 101 got a surprising amount of love in Smash Bros, with multiple music tracks and an entire trophy box worth of trophies. (More then Golden Sun? Wtf?) He's got moveset potential, and he's popular!

Problem is, he's got a dozen or two (maybe even three) that are more popular then he is, he's only had one game, and said game was a financial failure. If a Wonderful 102 get's officially announced, I'd bump this chance rating up quite a bit, it would make sense to add Wonder Red to promote that game. But as it stands now, there isn't much point adding in Wonder Red over other possible characters.

Want: 75%

I enjoyed the Wonderful 101. It had some flaws, but it was a unique experience that I had fun playing, and that soundtrack was phenomenal. There are several other characters I'd want in first, but I'd be happy to see him.

NPC character predictions: 30%

These ratings are going to be all over the place due to people being optimistic/pessimistic. Gonna aim a little higher because there's no actual evidence or sources stating that it can't happen, only conjecture.

Noms:
Pichu x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh, you mean Palutena? (Nothing to worry about, just a little joke is all :laugh:)

Sorry for the joke, it's just that alternate moves remind me of Palutena, as she seems to have these rather than custom moves. Either way, I'd like to see alternate moves as well. Give Bowser the Koopa Klaw from Melee, or Dr. Mario FLUDD... actually that one seems a bit weird...
I actually never played around with Palutena's customs at all, I knew they were pretty good and make her a much better fighter when customs are allowed, so I didn't know how much they differed from her defaults (guess it's another example of Sakubias acting up again....huehuehue)...but yeah you catch my drift...lol

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Wonder Red
Chance: 50% There are all those Wonderful 101 trophies and songs.

Want: 80% I think Wonder Red could be a really cool character with his unite morph abilities. Though I don't want him as much as some of the other characters.

Nomination: BB bandit trio X5.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Wonder Red
Chances: 14%
I barely remember this game I saw at E3 almost forgot it altogether. I have seen gameplay of it. felt a bit flat and just fell into the range of average and not that it is bad it's just average. I know it looks like something out of a power rangers thing it just did not really stick sorry :/.

Want: 3%
not that I don't like him. It's just he kind of draws from someone else with a big red helmet. and He does not bring enough WOW power to be more than just trophies. That just how I see him sorry :/.

Predictions.
29.56%
I don't know any real NPC's that may make any chance of making it in to the roster. Can anyone give me an example because I would really like to see some

Nomination
Ninten x5

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Wonder Red
Chance- 21%
To be honest, I just don't think he has the popularity needed to get him in. Maybe it'd help if the game sold well, as that would have indicated some form of "popularity." But there's still a legitimate chance, I think. Being recent and already having some representation in Smash helps.
Want- 50%
Pretty indifferent. I would be interested in seeing how he would turn out, though. Maybe we should consider doing some Satisfaction ratings for announced characters (like Lucas) or characters that are now playable (like Mewtwo) as we did in the old game.

Predictions- 32%

Nominations:

Ridley x5
Screw it. I want to see what his Want score will be.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
My timing has been bad lately. Seems I'm late to Sceptile day. Been busy. But because I so enjoy doing these I'm going to stick my Sceptile assessment in a spoiler and get on with my Wonder Red assessment

Here's my picture of the categories I'll use for assessing characters again again...
These points are for making a best estimate of their chances, although the weight of each category is still unknown at this time. Other unforeseen factors could keep the character from being added. I'll likely post this at the start of all my assessments.

Sceptile

Popularity
Among pokemon after Mewtwo, Sceptile is regularly mentioned. From what I've seen, it's easily a top 5 most popular pokemon to add to the roster. The major popularity push for Sceptile is thanks in part to Greninja. With a fully evolved fire starter in Charizard and a fully evolved water starter in Greninja, the logical next step is to have a fully evolved grass starter to make the pokemon roster feel complete. Sceptile has competition from the vet Ivysaur and other popular fully evolved grass starter Serperior. Sceptile also faces competition from other popular Pokemon unrelated to the "grass starter theory". In general, Pokemon is quite crowded with potentially interesting characters looking to add to the already large roster of pokemon characters in Smash. Sceptile is near the top but among such a large crowd support does get spread out and Sceptile's popularity when compared to all other potential newcomers isn't the greatest. From what I've seen, Sceptile is often top 20 newcomer material but hardly ever cracks the top 10.

Importance
Sceptile is one of hundreds of pokemon. It can be hard to stand out in such a crowd. Being a starter does give it extra exposure however, and Sceptile has the benefit of being on of the most popular grass starters in the Pokemon series. There's not much else to say about Sceptile's importance however. Even starter status and popularity only gives it a small importance boost and still leaves Sceptile among a crowd of other popular pokemon, some of them starters too.

Uniqueness
Sceptile would bring a moveset into Smash revolving around grass attacks. No other character or Pokemon currently playable can claim this niche... unless you want to say Olimar is a "grass attacker". Among other potential Pokemon though, Sceptile's resume is less impressive since many of them could claim the same. Still, assuming Sceptile got in, it could feature various unique grass based attacks in a unique style. Sceptile could slash with it's leaf blades for many of it's standard attacks and perhaps even incorporate short projectiles in standard attacks. For it's specials, you needn't look further than Sceptile's list of moves it can learn in Pokemon. And this is just scratching the surface really.

Relevance
Sceptile has had a recent relevancy boost with the re-releases of the gen 3 Pokemon games. Though, the impact of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is already in the waning period in the short attention span of Pokemon. Being gen 3 is still a unique distinction that gives Sceptile a relevancy edge on the other pokemon competition.

Representation
Pokemon is fairly heavily represented and has even benefited from DLC already with Mewtwo. It is a very popular franchise however. Does it need 7 reps though? Pokemon could arguably make a ton of reps work, but I think there's other franchises begging for some love first. Depending on how much DLC we might get however, I wouldn't be against it. Sceptile does fill a hole I see in the Pokemon representation thanks to OCD tendencies, heh. Yes, a fully evolved grass starter from gen 3 feels perfect. Sceptile closes the starter loop while also representing gen 3 like no other pokemon currently does, and gen 3 is relevant to boot! But do I think Pokemon really needs more representation. I'll just say, "not yet". This could mean near future if we get enough DLC or not. So many other franchises deserve some love imo.

Limitations
Sceptile's only limitations are it's only "okay" popularity and the competition and crowding of Pokemon representation. The latter relates to the issues of the former. Yes, there's no "real" limitations for Sceptile, only perceived or given ones. Still, there's a lot to deal with for Sceptile to get noticed and make an argument for inclusion.

Final Assessment

Chance: 32%

Sceptile lacks big popularity due to being a Pokemon of many in a well repped series. I think people see its potential but just don't feel like they need more pokemon or see why Sceptile should get in over the many many many others. And with a newcomer already added to Smash and a DLC character already added as well, it feels like Pokemon may take a break from more representation for a while. Who knows though, if Sceptile got enough votes I don't think the large amount of Pokemon reps would count him out. It's the perception that we have enough and we wouldn't get more anyways that holds Sceptile back. And even if Pokemon were underrepped and everyone agreed we needed more, they'd most likely first pick the characters already repped... except for maybe Jigglypuff. Sorry Jiggs. Very few people would've thought to request you if you hadn't proven to be an awesome vet already.

Want: 32%

I'm one of those people that feels like Pokemon has enough reps already and I've got a decent list of other franchises that need some serious love first. Maybe if we get 10 more DLC characters I could see Sceptile being the tenth. A part of me also does crave that complete "starter group" in the Pokemon representation and getting the gen 3 rep. It's not that strong though, and I can live with a little imperfection.

~~~~

Predicting Wonder Red even though it's a Wonder Red day already...

Predictions for Wonder Red

Chance: 39.6%
Want: 48.2%

Now for the current character's assessment. This one will be difficult as I've not played Wonderful 101, but I'll do my best to make a fair go of it.

Wonder Red

Popularity
It's a bit hard for me to gauge Wonder Red's popularity. From what I've seen he appears to be one of those characters that floats between being top 10 most popular newcomer and just outside it. Often just inside top 10 however. Among all character requests though, he's definitely outside top 10. Other than the few polls I've seen I don't know the extent of his true support. I feel like I see more spoken support than polls would have me believe. Most who have played and enjoyed Wonderful 101 think he's a great candidate.

Importance
Wonder Red is kind of the main hero and leader of a group of superheros in Wonderful 101. He's evidentally tops when it comes to characters that should represent Wonderful 101. I don't know that I've even seen as much as a mention for any other character. Wonderful 101 is still a new series however and perhaps hasn't quite left it's mark enough to be called a big franchise. And from what I understand, it's reviews were mixed. I honestly can't say I know where it actually stands as a Nintendo property in concert with Platinum, and how that would influence Wonder Red's potential inclusion in Smash.

Uniqueness
Sadly, I know very little of Wonder Red's abilities. All I know is that he appears to be able to fight with giant fists and uses the combined powers of his team to perform special abilities. I assume he's mostly be a physical fighter with some disjoint a la Lucario. I'm not sure how his "team combining" powers could work without his team and I have a really hard time visualizing how his team could be "in his moveset" without being clunky and making ICs look reasonable, heh. His look if fairly unique too which would separate him from other "human" characters. I'll just admit that I think Wonder Red has average to "too much" uniquness. I honestly don't know how his unite abilities would work but it's also a bit hard to imagine they'd just be ignored either. Definitely a part of my assessment that I defer to someone more knowledgeable about this character.

Relevance
Wonderful 101 was a relatively recent release. Wonder Red and the team are still fresh in people's minds. If this series is looking to continue in a big way, I could definitely see it being plenty relevant not only now but in the future.

Representation
Wonderful 101 isn't currently represented in Smash. It has a nice group of trophies, but that's it. It seems Nintendo was interested in making sure the W101 team got some love in that regard, so I guess it's not too much of stretch to say they could be ready to do a bit more for the game. I know, lots of game series get trophies, but there was something about the number of 101 trophies and how they got their own display case that has me making this comment. And if W101 got repped, Wonder Red is the favorite by far. If this series goes on to big things beyond just what it's done already and establishes itself as a big Nintendo property then I'd say "yes" for sure. For now, I'll just say "sure".

Limitations
Wonder Red doesn't have any significant limitations. He does suffer from being relatively unknown and new still, as well as being not exactly "notably popular". That's about all I can say for sure.

Final Assessment

Chance: 42%

I'm hesitant to weigh this chance since I feel more uninformed than usual here. His moveset in particular is difficult for me to imagine and feel confident about. My gut tells me his team oriented attacks could be a liability, but I'm no expert on the character. I do feel fairly safe in assessing his chances based on his popularity, importance, and relevancy however. I'll just give him the basic coin flip treatment with a bit of a mark down due to not being hugely popular.

Want: Abstain

I know so little about his character and have no attachment. For the sake of his fans, I'll abstain here rather than give a low vote. I might actually really want him if I learned more and played Wonderful 101. That's just not the case as of now however. I know, I didn't abstain Shovel Knight... but I felt I knew enough about Shovel Knight and what he represented to know that I wasn't interested whether I played his game or not, so I didn't abstain there.

~~~~

Predicting our first concept huh? Seems my push was successful!

Predictions for "Any NPC becomes playable"

Chance: 15.5%
Want: 31%

~~~~

Once again, I have to figure out a new set of characters/things to give my votes too. Think I'll really spread it out among some randoms, heh.

1 Point to Bayonetta?
1 Point to Simon Belmont?
1 Point to Vaati?
1 Point to Daisy?
1 Point to *Concept: DLC Costumes for Characters*

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Team! Unite up!!
Previous Evaluations:
K.Rool Chance: 87% Want: 100
Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 3% Want: 14%
Isaac Chance: 70% Want: 90%
Bandanna Dee Chance: 42% Want: 50%
Captain Toad: Abstained chance and want
Krystal Chance: 36% Want: 71%
Dixie Kong Chance: 40% Want: 43%
Impa Chance: 35% Want 79%
Shantae Chance: 10% Want 54%
Inklings Chance: 31% Want: 51%
Rayman Chance: 61% Want 89%
Snake Chance: 35% Want: 50%
Wolf Chance: 98% Want: 100%
Shovel Knight Chance: 13% Want 65%
Quote Chance 8% Want: 4%
Ice Climbers Chance: 25% Want: 40%
Sceptile: Chance: 12.60 Want: 52%

Wonder Red Chances: 18%
+Plenty of potential to be drawn from his Unite Morphs, such as Unite Hand, or even borrow from the other Wonderful Ones like using Wonder Green's Unite Gun or Wonder Pink's Unite Whip.
+Certainly a welcome addition, bringing in a new series to Smash Bros, and he'd fit in really well with Smash Bros.
+Plenty of love with two songs from the game (Especially Jergingha - Planet Destruction Form) and as mentioned, trophies.
-Sadly, Wonderful 101 was a commercial failure. (Why...?) I think that's where Codename S.T.E.A.M went right, by including little things people would easily recognise such as the Fire Emblem heroes and amiibo functionality so people wouldn't overlook it as much as they did with TW101.
-Maybe trophies are good enough for the series at this rate. If there ever is a "Wonderful 102/202", certainly he'd have better chances.

Wants: 78%.
I loved The Wonderful 101, and it certainly deserves it's praise as a 'Wonderful' game! I was wanting Wonder Red as a playable character since I started playing and hearing the music the game had to offer, as well as the fight between
Wonder Red and Wonder Blue
and I was very disappointed he didn't make it as a playable character. Eventually I moved on, but still positively think that he'd work really well in Smash Bros, but I wouldn't mind waiting until the next game actually moves more copies for the Wonderful series.

NPC Promotion chances: Hard to say! :p

Nominations:
Roy X5

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Wonder Red

Chance: 38%

Don't really know. He seems to be a popular part of the IP, but I'm unsure.

Want: 50.5 %

Indifferent, as I haven't played the game much

NPC Predict: Abstain

Nom:
Homecoming Hijinx x3
Moonstruck Blossom x2

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
WONDER RED
Chance: 10%

It's a shame that his game wasn't commercially successful, though admittedly, I've never played it before. I'm currently working on my backlog of games. Once I get complete the backlog, I check it out. :)

ANY "NPC" CHARACTERS
Prediction: 5%

NOMINATION
Elma x5

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Wonder Red

Chance: 40%
Wonder Red always felt like a good candidate for Smash but not yet. I can easily see him fitting better the next installment of Smash.

Want: 80%
My favorite part of every Smash is when a new franchise gets represented plus Wonder Red has plenty of potential for his moveset. And as a bonus, adding him would give The Wonderful 101 the exposure it needs to boost sales.

Nominations:
Henry Fleming x3
Elma x2

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wonder Red:

Chance: 35%
Wonder Red's got a lot going for him. He's a Nintendo second-party, if not fully first-party, and the game got an entire trophy case in the WiiU version. There are even two songs from the game (which sound great) in the game. Against him - the game was a bit of a commercial failure despite receiving positive reviews. He seems like he could make for a very interesting newcomer, though.
Honestly though, I can't really say too much. I'm a bit surprised he didn't even get an AT in the game, but did get seven trophies and a few songs (that's more than Isaac and Golden Sun got...). I think he's in people's minds, or at least was at release, it's just a matter of seeing how that lasts - and a commercial failure is not good there, but a cult following is...
Want: 65%
Since I saw his trophy, I've been intrigued. I haven't played Wonderful 101, but I think the character design is awesome, and I would be completely OK if he got into Smash. I'm just not going to go to bat for him, but I'll not complain one bit if he gets in.
Prediction: NPC Promotions
...I usually don't say something here, but I think this will be a toss up - some people think it's possible, others will give it a 0. We have no evidence at all. But then again, remember when the 3DS version came out and we'd decided that Mewtwo and Lucas were ineligible as DLC since they had trophies in the game...?
Chance: 42.5%, Want: 85.2%

And I'm gonna have a nice tirade for this one...it may have to wait though since I've got something REALLY important to do tomorrow at midnight. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!
EDIT: So I'm impatient and just finished writing my whole tirade for tomorrow so I can post it right before I nerdgasm...and it's long
Nominations:
Ridley x5​

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Wonder Red

Chances: 35%

Not much I can say that others haven't, if he gets another game I can see him happening in the next Smash.

Want: 70%

Has a lot of potential to be a great character and I love his character design. I wouldn't mind his inclusion in the slightest.

Any "NPC" becomes playable

Prediction: 50%

Nominations:
Viridi x2
Concept: DLC Costumes for Characters x2
Ninten x1

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

K. Rool
Day missed. Absent.

Banjo-Kazooie
Chance: 9%, Want: 85%

Isaac
Chance: 55%, Want: 75%

Bandana Dee
Chance: 40%, Want: 100%

Captain Toad
Chance: 45%, Want: 100%

Krystal
Chance: 25%, Want: 50%

Dixie Kong
Chance: 66%, Want: 100%

Impa
Chance: 28%, Want: 100%

Shantae
Chance: 1%, Want: 5%

Inklings
Chance: 62%, Want: 70%

Rayman
Chance: 33%, Want: 90%

:snake:
Day missed. Whoops.

:wolf:
Chance: 100%, Want: 80%

Shovel Knight
Chance: 0.3%, Want: 0%

Chance: 0.5%, Want: 3%

:popo:
Chance: 5%, Want: 10%

Sceptile
Chance: 20%, Want: 55%

Wonder Red
Chance: 15%
A unique character with some great moveset potential using the unite moves.
Alas it seems the title of his game Wonderful 101 stands for the amount of individuals who have actually played his game. Before you ask, no; I haven't played the game either. Outside the demo.
Luckily for Red, he's got demand for Smash that far outstrips his actual game popularity, and even cynical hatemongers like myself seem to have some time for him.

Want: 68%
He could be a pretty cool fighter. He's certainly got that superhero style, and turning into a GIANT FIST may even give Captain Falcon a serious Smash rival.
I'm not entirely sure how he'd work visually considering the attacks in Wonderful 101 are made up of the titular heroes combining into shapes to fight, and obviously Red would most likely be alone, lest we want the Ice Climbers issue multiplied by 100.

Just like a lot of you, I fully intended to get Wonderful 101...and then promptly didn't. I didn't have my Wii U for another 9 months after that and by that time it was bombarded with other games that caught my interest(Mario Kart 8, DK: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. For Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1+2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, etc), pushing Wonder Red's game further and further back in priority.

Maybe one day I'll get to experience Wonder Red's abilities first hand. Gettit? Hand? That was a joke son, flew right past ya, it did. Nice boy, doesn't pay attention.

Playable NPC Prediction: 8%
Not a popular concept with many people thinking it's pretty unlikely characters like Ridley, Waluigi, Takamaru, Zoroark or even Toad are getting the ol' promotion.

Nominations:
:002: X 3
:007: X 2

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I know nothing about the character (granted I didn't know anything about the indie characters either, but this is a Nintendo character), so I will heed my vote for him. He does look very interesting though.

Nominations:
Paper Mario x5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Chances - 14%
Sakurai is very familiar with him and seems to be a fan considering the content in Smash U. He has no shortage of unique moveset potential, albeit it may be awkward to implement. He isn't at all popularly requested enough to have a guaranteed dent on the ballot. His game seems however to be destined to be a cult classic, so I honestly think even if there is never a "Wonderful 102," he still has mentionable or better chances come Smash NX.

Want - 25% I really like The Wonderful 101, and recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it (although the other Platinum game on Wii U, Bayonetta 1 + 2 should be a larger priority for any Wii U owner if you were to only get one). That said, there are several characters I want in Smash more, and I am not confident in many unannounced slots. I like him enough to not be disappointed.

nominate Crono (Chrono Trigger) x5 (Not because he has legitimate chances, but his day will offer fantastic discussion of one of the greatest SNES/DS games of all-time).

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Day 18 : WONDER RED
Abstain
I don't know this guy so I can't judge him. I'll abstain for today. I may edit later if I get a better idea of him but I don't have time to research for him today. Sorry Wonder Red fans.

NPC character playable :
Prediction: 20%

Nominations: Geno (Super Mario RPG) x5

Team! Unite up!

Wonstoppable Wonder red

Chance 40%
this is my bias screaming. He certainly has a lower chance but i cant bare to put him lower. His game bombed and a sequel is unkown. He does have amazing moveset potential and his popularity is decent although not humongous.

Want 101%
wonder red is the only character i feel has a chance that i really want. W101 is my 3rd favorite game and red is my favorite character in that game (vorkenn is very very close though) he has immense moveset potential from multiple possible weapons from punching to swords to whips to claws to time bombs. And by time bomb i mean they slow down time. Not that they have a fuse. Plus his character is gery enjoyable and he has a sense of justice that would put most heroes to shame. I really do like this guy and would buy him 101 times over.
Personality
moveset potential
fun
unique.
he ticks off every box i have for a fighter and passes with a 100 on the written test. (These references are going deep)

Side note. I originally supported him because he reminded me of viewtiful joe. I would later learn thats the point and eventually support him for his own merits. But by then he was revealed as a trophy.

Prediction
Hoo boy this will be fun
4% because not everyone will put 0

Nomination
2 roy
2 viridi
1 wonder poseman viewtiful joe

But seriously. Anyone with a wii u please pick up the game or buy it on the eshop or at least look at the game. It is a wonderful experience and a seriously underlooked game. Its got comedy, action, difficulty and just about everything in this game. Yes even romance. It is absolutely viewtiful

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
WONDER RED (aka Nintendo's VIEWTIFUL JOE)
CHANCE: 20%
WANT: 30%

The Wonderful 101 was a nice experiment to create a new IP with assistance from Platinum Games. Unfortunately, his game wasn't really successful, which may or may not be because the Wii U was in a sticky situation, but it has already gained status similar to a cult classic. He does have a trophy (which was deemed important enough to star in a PoTD) and a song. I think all this puts him in a good position, although there's a lot of competition around him.

I like his design, but I haven't played his game, so I'm unfamiliar with him. He does have interesting abilities though.

PLAYABLE NPC PREDICTION: 25%

IVYSAUR × 5

:231:

D

Deleted member

Wonder-Red...

Chance : 66%
Already a trophy in the game along with his fellow heroes, but as a fighter...

Want : 100%
Not even a HUUGE fan of Wonderful 101 ( only tried the demo form Eshop ) but i'm hooked! Wonder Red, even as a single rep of his universe would be cool. Even his alt colors are obvious, and they are... cool. The only thing that can go wrong is the power of his strikes. Maybe a little too destructive.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Although I might be a bit generous here, I feel like he has a decent chance. Sakurai clearly knows about the game and was willing to give it a decent amount of representation in Smash. Trophies, a trophy case, and music. Not even the guest trophies (Rayman and co) got a case. However, there are still other popular characters that surpass him in many ways. Although I do think he'll at least r be considered.

He is incredibly unique and could easily have his own unique style of fighting that will only be for him as no other potential Nintendo character could really mimick what Wonder Red has to offer.

Want: 101%!

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I Wonder: Wonder Red Chances

Man, if you had asked me a few weeks ago whether Wonder Red actually had a shot in the game, I would have said no. But, as we've seen with this ballot, things change quickly. So I've given him the highest chance rating I've given a character bar Wolf, which is around about when I started up in RTC here. You can tell I'm generally not too optimistic.
Here's a wee quick wrap up of the positive things going for Wonder Red:
-Already has a soundtrack and trophy set to back up his chances and keep him fresh in folk's minds. And a model is lined up for use already. Easy addition!
-Decent popularity-- won a /v/ knockout poll of DLC characters. Doesn't stand for much in reality, but something to note.
-Technically kinda first party? It's awkward and a tad messy legally, but W101 is Nintendo property.
-The Unite powers of him and the other Wonder Ones could pack a moveset and customs easily (assuming customs will ever exist for DLC-- we'll talk about this in a later RTC I guess.)
-Poorly proportioned superhero? Looks awesome. Definitely has the Captain Falcon effect; who cares if you haven't played his games, he looks pretty good. Could sell DLC on looks alone.

And here's the negatives:
-Popularity might be an issue. With one game series, might be slightly obscure. Despite the knockout poll I mentioned earlier, /v/ is known to have a W101 bias (apparently a bunch of them sent a massive collage of them with their W101 games to Kayima after sales bombed). That brings up the next point:
-The sales bombed. It's not always a deciding factor, but if W101 doesn't have much of a future, that might discourage the rep's addition. Sales are the final issue after all.
-Kayima. Famed for blocking "smash idiots" (a direct quote) on Twitter and saying in the next breath that he loves Smash, Kayima is a surly fellow that might not be too happy about a character being included in Smash. Or maybe he will. More folk to block. If Kayima's not feeling it, which the case may be, Wonder Red's chances are shot.

Overall, this equates to a solid 40% chance. Comparing to some of the others I have voted in this thread, that's solid enough!

Pretty cool guy, elemental attacks, looks awesome and is likely very agile. (Wonder) One I'd want to play with even with no W101 experience.

Prediction: NPC becomes Playable: 64.64%
When Ridley is in battle, Alfonzo storms the stage!
Nah, but the chances here are relatively high because it's saying ANY NPC becomes playable. There's a lot of them. It could be as simple as disabling a character from appearing as an assist trophy while in battle. That sorts Waluigi, Stafy, Takamaru and such out. Ridley could only be Meta Ridley as a stage hazard on Pyrosphere (of course, gaining his more powerful attacks only once he's sapped the energy). Something could be done with Viridi in Reset Bomb Forest. I don't find this an unlikely method of dealing with an NPC being playable. Sakurai just needs to get inventive. Critical thinking is the key to success!

Yeah, I wrapped that up with a Professor Layton quote. So sue me. The lawyer's fees are 5x Professor Layton nominations.

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Wonder red
Chance: 7%
Simply because I think Bayonetta will get this spot if there is one, I know she is higher in the ballet then wonder red and more deserving of the spot (Even though I don't think she will get in either.)

Want: 0%
Never played his game because I saw it as a game that would be advertized by a kid who just hit puberty on cartoon network. And he looks a little bit like Viewtiful Joe... And you can't compete with Viewtiful Joe.

Nomination: Tetra X5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Wonder Red
Chance:
20%

This is an interesting case...
The Wonderful 101 was a commercial failure for the Wii U, but that didn't stop Sakurai from giving the game representation in Smash. Sales are a factor, but then again we have Ness, who has been in every Smash game despite EarthBound being a commercial failure as well. Also, while the game was made by Platinum games, he is a Nintendo owned property.
The character does have uniqueness in that he could use various abilities and moves from his game, such as attacking with a giant fist or hammer for example.
His demand is mostly western. In the US, there was a poll where Wonder Red came out on top, narrowly defeating King K. Rool. In Japan, his demand isn't as strong.
It's hard to say what impact demand and history has now. Back then, Little Mac was one of the US's most wanted newcomers and Japan didn't care for him, but we regarded him as the most likely newcomer not only because of the hints, but also because he had a successful revival and history. Now that we have a worldwide ballot, this is a more uphill battle as he will have to fight against characters like King K. Rool in order to get attention from Sakurai. That and by the time The Wonderful 101 was released, it was a very young series; it was hard to determine if that was enough for Smash...
Overall, I think Wonder Red has a pretty interesting case, but I think that he will be outcompeted.

I am interested in his moveset potential.
I never played The Wonderful 101; I can't find the game and between getting this or the Shulk poster on Club Nintendo, I got the Shulk poster. I've heard both good and bad things about the game, how it is either a pretty good game or it's too complex and even difficult to even enjoy.
If he got in Smash, I would be pretty OK with it. However, I lack a true connection with him.

Playable NPCs Prediction: 37.65%
Umm... you mean if a character like Lyn or Ridley became playable? I doubt this will happen. The way NPC is used is vague; are we including trophies or are we only talking about characters with defined roles, such as Assist Trophies or stage hazards?

I won? Nice! But aw damn... I was so close! :(
Nominations: DLC Alt Costumes for Characters 10x

Wonder red
Chance: 7%
Simply because I think Bayonetta will get this spot if there is one, I know she is higher in the ballet then wonder red and more deserving of the spot (Even though I don't think she will get in either.)

Why would bayonetta "take wonder red's spot?"
Bayonetta is owned by sega and red is owned by nintendo. It isnt like there is a 3rd party platinum rep.

Top Bottom