• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
He was on a Nintendo console, in a game published by Nintendo, but he had a third-party developer.

That's like saying Professor Layton is a Nintendo character.
Wrong.
Eternal Darkness is completely owned by Nintendo. Silicon Knights does not own it.
They made MGS2, but they don't own that.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...rms_continuing_work_on_shadow_of_the_eternals

Nintendo renewing their trademark of it. Not only do they own it, but they protected the trademark.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Pious Augustus:

Chance and Want: 0%
A character from a borderline-dead series that isn't the protagonist.

Fossil Hero:

Chance: 12%

Want: 50%
I'd rather see another series like Panel de Pon.

Predictions for Bandanna Dee: 63% Chance, 87% Want
Predictions for Balloon Fighter: 8% Chance, 58% Want

Nominate Daisy rerate x 5

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
D

Deleted member

*googles Pious Augustus*
Huh....well anyway
Pious Augustus chance and want: Look at my avatar.

I don't like giving 0's in chance most of the time, but i will make the excpection here.
Most things that i said about Descole apply to this guy here, except he's a Nintendo character, but i don't think that will save him in the long run.

Abstaining on Fossil Fighter.
---------------------------
Predictions
Bandanna Dee:40.56%
*insert dee pun here*

Balloon Fighter:9.23
*Sigh*
---------------------------
Noms:
Dixie Kong Rerate X5

Last edited by a moderator:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Pious Augustus's Chance: 1%
Nintendo seems to have completely forgotten his game exists. No ballot support doesn't help either. Neither does the fact that he's not the protagonist of his game nor is the protagonist already in (villains and secondary characters always take backset to the star). I also feel his appearance might be considered too frightening for young players and that could hurt his chances too.

Pious Augustus's Want: 0%
He may look cool, but he's yet another sword fighter with no real standout abilities to make him interesting. I'd rather Eternal Darkness get a characterless stage (A-la Pictochat/Living Room/Hanenbow) chock full of Sanity Effects instead.

----------

Fossil Fighter's Chance: 5%
Doesn't seem to be in strong demand, so it doesn't look likely.

Fossil Fighter's Want: Abstain
I know nothing about the game, but I wouldn't mind seeing a non-Yoshi dinosaur included.
Pious actually fights with a staff and magic, here's a video of him in action,

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Pious Augustus
Chance: 2%
He is a Nintendo character, and the game he comes from is respected in the industry despite being rather obscure. There is the slightest possibility that if Nintendo decides to make a new Eternal Darkness game, he could get in some day, but as of right now, he basically has no chance. He's also a bit jarring in his design, but more on that later. There seem to be a lot of misconceptions in this thread about the game and character. I can't really understand the overabundance of Double Zeroes. If you've never heard of the character, take the time to learn about him and why people might want him. Characters from far more obscure games have done very well in this thread. It's no surprise that Nintendo hardly ever caters to the "Mature" crowd when the instant reaction by most Nintendo fans to their most prominent M-rated title is outright dismissal.

Eternal Darkness is a fantastic, innovative game, and one of the most unique titles in Nintendo's stable. If you haven't played it, you ought to. It's got the best plot of any Survival Horror I've ever played (Well... outside Silent Hill 2 & 3) and its unique mechanics and atmosphere make for a unique experience even today, although the graphics haven't held up too well. It did not sell fantastically on release, especially in Japan, but it was hailed critically and has become a sleeper cult hit over time. Eternal Darkness did not fall into obscurity because it was a bad game, or even because Nintendo didn't care about it. It was a big project for them, their first M-Rated release, and Miyamoto personally oversaw development. At the time of release, Silicon Knights was a second party of Nintendo, not a third party as many seem to believe. Nintendo owns the IP and always has. The reason Eternal Darkness has fallen into obscurity is because of the colossal implosion of Silicon Knights due to the mismanagement and egomania of its founder Denis Dyack, which you can read all about in this great GAF thread. But if you haven't played Eternal Darkness, you should. Pious Augustus is just one of many things that makes the game great. A lot of people here don't seem even remotely familiar with him and are rejecting him offhand, so I suggest you all take a look over at his character thread and judge him on his own terms.

Want: 100%
I started the original character thread and I can safely say Pious is one of my most wanted newcomers, though I recognize that he's a dark horse that's struggling to even keep up with the race. There are several reasons I think he would make a fantastic addition, and I want to argue my case a little bit here. Most of these points are made in greater detail in his character thread:

1. LOOK AT HIM

I would think the appeal of a Liche in coal black Centurion armor is self-evident, but maybe not. He has one of the most badass designs of all of Nintendo's villains, and fits a classic video game archetype that no other Smash character really does: the undead monster. Sure, maybe his corpse-like appearance is a little much for E10+, but he could be redesigned as a skeleton or simply a slightly less frightening zombie if need be. Regardless, Pious Augustus is METAL. See his staff? IT'S A SPINE.

2. His game deserves more attention
This thread has solidified this point for me. Sure, it's "obscure", but if Smash speculation has caused people to seek out and play For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls and Joy Mecha Fight, surely people can make time for a game that's actually good, right? Eternal Darkness may be obscure to the average Nintendo fan, but it is NOT obscure to survival horror fans, and is often considered one of the three undisputed masterpieces of the genre, alongside Silent Hill 2 and REmake, while adopting a much more unique, fun, and dare I say Nintendo-esque angle on the genre than those other games. It has also been very influential. Ever heard of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the indie title that basically brought about a Survival Horror renaissance a few years ago? Its central mechanic was a "sanity meter" that lowered whenever you made contact with enemies, causing hallucinations and interface screw if it got too low. That mechanic was ripped straight from Eternal Darkness. Nintendo even had a patent on it. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare shocked players when their character died at the end of one of the single player chapters. It was such a lauded twist at the time that they've basically repeated it in every CoD game since. Eternal Darkness did it waaaay before CoD. Smash has brought attention to many lesser known Nintendo classics, and Eternal Darkness is among the best of them. This is a game that begs for a sequel, but it'll never happen if Nintendo's rank and file fans don't give the original a shot.

3. He is the most deserving rep for his game
Eternal Darkness has 12 separate playable characters across as many chapters. Pious is not only one of these playable characters, but as the game's main antagonist, is the only character to appear in every chapter. Alexandra Roivas, the ostensible "main" character, doesn't even encounter any enemies until the end of the game. For the vast majority of the game, she is just the person you play as in the hub world between chapters, solving puzzles and getting jump scared for about five minutes before you jump into the next level. People who insist that she is the only deserving Smash rep obviously haven't played the game, or at least lack imagination. She is by far the character with the least to offer in terms of move set potential and aesthetic uniqueness, and her role in the story is actually far less significant than Pious'. And while it is unprecedented for the "hero" to not be the first playable character from their series (unless you count Pikachu getting in two games before "Red"), Smash has never featured a character from a Horror franchise. When it comes to horror, the "face" of the series is nearly always the monster. In movies: Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, Pinhead, Chucky, the Xenomorph, Samara... In games, Pyramid Head and the nurses, Alma, SHODAN, the zombies from Resident Evil... These are the characters that stick in your memory, that come to mind first when you think of their franchises, not the heroes. The same goes for Pious Augustus and Eternal Darkness.

4. He could bring something new to the table
Eternal Darkness is unique among Survival Horror games due to the depth of its combat. The player cannot only use a variety of ranged and melee weapons to target specific body parts and incapacitate enemies without killing them, but can cast a wide variety of defensive and offensive spells that use a Rock-Paper-Scissors dynamic based on the "elemental" affinities of the three major elder gods: Magick, Matter, and Madness. Among the spells are spells for enhancing the damage of normal weaponry, healing, shields, barriers, AoE damage spells, "fireballs", and last but not least, summoning and even possessing the game's various enemies in order to aid you in battle. This system ends up feeling fun and very tactical, and the game often throws many enemies at you at once, necessitating divide and conquer strategies that make heavy use of spells. In universe, Pious Augustus is the undisputed master of this "magick" system, and as the final boss can cast more powerful versions of every spell that the player can. On top of that, he also has his enchanted Roman gladius: a short sword (a swordfighting style not really seen in Smash yet), and a big bone staff. If Sakurai remained faithful to the nature of ED's combat when putting together Pious' moveset, he would be largely based around stage control, creating barriers and summoning Zombies to keep his opponent busy while he charges up powerful offensive spells or gives himself buffs, in some ways playing a bit like a MOBA character. This would make him not only a very unique character in Smash, but in fighting games in general. Some may resist the idea of such a turtley defense-oriented character, but I think that if balanced well, it could make for a very unique fighter with lots of options.

Tl;DR GO PLAY ETERNAL DARKNESS YOU INGRATES, IT IS WELL WORTH YOUR TIME. AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WII OR GAMECUBE, DON'T YOU DARE THINK ABOUT DOWNLOADING A ROM AND PLAYING WITH DOLPHIN. DON'T YOU DARE.

Fossil Fighter
Chances: 5%
I mean it's an active Nintendo series and a fairly new ip so that counts for something.

Want: 0%
From what I understand, it's Pokemon with dinosaurs and less polish. No thank you. We don't need any more generic anime boys either. I'm sure the series has its fans, but it just seems derivative in all the worst ways of better games that already have plenty of Smash representation.

Predictions:
Bandanna Dee: 45%
Balloon Fighter: 15%

Snake Rerate X5

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well...I guess you could say both of today's candidates deal with things from ancient times?

--

Fossil Hero

Chance: 5%

Fossil Fighters has spent its existence just kind of...being there. Not particularly noteworthy or particularly bad, the series has sat in the background, seemingly intent with being a lower tier monster-training RPG. As it stands, being playable in Smash would be a surprise...as would pretty much anything beyond the trophy the series got in the 3DS version.

On the other hand, one could argue a Smash inclusion would bring them into the spotlight. Thing is...that doesn't seem to be how the developers look at things. They don't add characters for the sake of promoting their home series, at least not primarily. As long as things stay that way, we probably won't see a Fossil Fighter be playable any time soon.

Maybe an Assist Trophy in Smash 5, though, if the series grows? Who knows.

Want: Abstain
Another series I haven't played, unfortunately.

Pious Augustus

Chance: 0.15%
Look, I won't mince words. Eternal Darkness is dead as a series. It's a shame, since it did some really interesting stuff that stood out among survival horror games, but until we see sign of it rising again, I don't see any chance of one of its characters joining the roster.

Now take that...and add the fact that we're talking to what amounts to a major antagonist. For a series that hasn't had any representation at all. We've always seen main protagonists from a series get in before their respective bad guys. So to expect that to change now, with a series that's been dead for so long?

Sorry to break it to you this way. It...isn't...happening.

Want: Abstain
This one I wish I had the chance to play. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, especially the way its scares are designed to mess with your head. Maybe a surprise eshop release could do something about that?

Bandana Dee Rerate Prediction: 38.75%
Is it just me, or has his support base really grown? Though that might not do much for his rating if the regulars still think Sakurai has something against modern Kirby games.

Balloon Fighter
Prediction: 8.25%

There's some talk of him being a way to pay homage to Iwata? And wasn't he namedropped among rejected retro characters once before?

Nominations: Rundas x5

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Pious Augustus
Chance: 1%
This is one of those characters that doesn't seem like a Nintendo character... But is. As a result I wouldn't be too crazy about him joining the cast. As for his chances? Well Nintendo doesn't seem too keen on this franchise right now.

Fossil Fighter
Chance: 30%
Want: 5%
Now here's a series Nintendo is more keen on. Three games under its belt and they did rather well too! So it has a bit of a chance. Not sure I want them as a fighter though. Maybe a stage would be cool.

Nominations
Barbara x5

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Pious Augustus
Chance: 0.2%
I really don't think there's anything I need to say about this guy. I'll give the Roman Centurion a small score of 0.2%.
I don't even know why we rate some of these characters...

Want: 0.3%
Doesn't appeal to me at all.

Fossil Hero
Chance: 4.2%
The main thing going against him is that he's from a smaller franchise and not generally recognizable. I'll give Hunter a rating of 4.2%.
If the franchise continues to grow...

Want: 5.3%
He seems cool, but I'm not all that interested at the moment.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
This is kind of interesting, honestly; months ago, we rated an antagonist of Fossil Fighters before the protagonist. Now we're finally rating the main character...alongside another antagonist when we haven't rated the protagonist yet.

By the way, when I don't get to give out extra nominations until the following day I usually don't get to warn in advance, but in this case I definitely won't give out the next set of extra nominations until tomorrow. I have something else I need to do tonight.

Pious Agustus: DOUBLE ZEROES

Eternal Darkness getting a character would be a miracle: it's fairly old yet not old enough to qualify as retro, it's kind of obscure at this point, there's very little support in a character for it, there's no content related to it in Smash at all outside of a brief mention in the chronicle...that's probably not even all it has going against it. He's also not the main character, and no matter what I can't see a villain getting in the main character. All in all, not happening.

And while I do want to play Eternal Darkness someday, the idea of it having a character in Smash really doesn't interest me at all, sorry.

Fossil Fighter's chances: 5%

This is something I could see eventually getting in a main game, but probably not as DLC. The series is active and not particularly small, but it's not the most popular one out and requests for a character from it are really uncommon.

Want: 60%

Not one of my top picks, but I would be interested in seeing this.

Bandana Dee rerate prediction: 34.29%
Balloon Fighter prediction: 7.73%

Nominations: Chibi-Robo rerate x5

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Pious

Want: 45%

Fossil Hero:

Chance: 10%

Want: 50%

Predictions:

Bandana Dee: 35%
Ballon Fighter 10%

Nominations:

Genei Ibun Roku #FE rep x5

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Pious Augustus
Chance: 0% - This isn't even rounded down. He's not even the main character of this thirteen year old comercial failure that is almost unknown in Japan despite being a first party game.

Fossil Hero
Want: 60%

Nominations: Smash Tour Ubdates x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
PIOUS AUGUSTUS
CHANCE: 0.82%
WANT: 21.25%

FOSSIL HERO
CHANCE: 7.02%
WANT: 29.97%
Next up we're rating Balloon Fighter (for real this time) and rerating Bandanna Dee. Also please predict what score the concepts of a Genei Ibun Roku #FE rep and a Full Ken alternate costume for Ryu will get tomorrow.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Bandanna Dee

Again, let me see what I said last time...
He's definitely the most likely newcomer for the Kirby series. Also very interesting that DDD's side-B got changed to Gordos only (**** THAT ******* EVERY TIME I FIGHT HIM! #@%@#$!), so as not to introduce confusion if a generic and non-generic Dee show up at the same time... And Sakuraibias, which this game is chock full of. He's also been in recent games, and Japan LOVES the Kirby series. Lots are pointing to his favor. And Sakuraibias. Lots of that too.
Against him - Kirby may not need a fourth character. He was alone through Melee, then was blessed with TWO newcomers in the last game. Also, despite having a bandana, he is a bit generic. Everyone's complaining about having 'too many anime swordsmen;' wouldn't 'too many red/pink ball-shaped characters' also fit? He doesn't really have too much on the negative side, though, so I'll give it above a coin flip.
Don't really think anything changed, so I'll stick with the 35% he has already.

Want... 0%
No, thank you. I do not like Kirby, I don't like Meta Knight, I don't like Dedede, and I don't like Dee. I feel like Brawl was almost a shrine to Kirby, just as SSB4 is shaping up to be a shrine to Kid Icarus, but there is still so much almost ported over for SSB4, e.g. Smash Run. I'd like to see some of my favorite series get some love (Come on, 5 characters for Zelda and only 3 unique Final smashes? One unifying victory theme? Link and Tink share a crowd chant?!) before the golden children get favored even more. And if I wanted a character who fights with a long weapon, I'd just have Ridley use his tail - he also could get a nice air game... Bandana Dee is so far down on my list right now, and the last thing I want is ANOTHER child of Sakurai's to come in before any villains get the invite.
Now if Wolf, Ridley, and K.Rool all were in, by all means put him in, I'd take anyone after those three.
Balloon Fighter
Chance: 2%
Yes, he's now a favorite because of Iwata. Still, the Balloon fighter got his most iconic (only) move in the ame already as Villager's up B. Of all of the retro characters, I don't think he has much of a chance; and Iwata could be honored in a different way.
Both predictions: 0.7%

Nom: The gates have been reopened. K.Rool rerate x 5

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Bandana Dee
Want: 80%

Balloon Fighter
Chance: 0%
Want: 10%

Predictions
Genei Ibun Roku #FE rep: 9.8%
Ken Alternate Costume: 5.4%

Nominate x5 K.Rool rerate

D

Deleted member

B.Dee

Chances : 24%

Want : 95%

Balloon Fighter

Chances : 7%
Want : 50%

SMTXFE character : 2.4%
Ken Alt for Ryu : 5.6%

Nominating Reyn x5

D

Deleted member

Bandanna Dee:
Chance:45%
I think it could go either way.

Want:73%
Sure, why not?

---------------------------------
Balloon Fighter:
Chance:1%
I think the Villager's recovery killed most of his chances.

Want:70%
Which sucks because Balloon Fighter was always one of my favorite retro characters in Nintendo's history and i would be happy to have him join the battle. (and before you even dare to ask, i already wanted him before Iwata's passing, i always wanted Balloon Fighter since late 2013)

-----------------------------------
Predictions:
Animu:the Game Rep (also known as SMTXFE or Genei Ibun Roku #FE rep) :1.56
Oh boy.

Full Ken alt for Ryu:2.32
The more time passes, the less likely (and logical) it seems.

-----------------------------------
Noms:
Rerate:K.Rool X5
Finally.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Dee
Chance: 10% = He is MASSIVELY Overrated. Sure I get it, he's the fourth Kirby character. But does anyone realize, in terms of importance, it's a huge drop off from King Dedede and MK to Dee. When one thinks of Kirby, it's the 3 that we already have, and to most who don't play the series, I feel like people would consider him to be the equivalent to Goomba or Toad (who is also really overrated). I'm thinking just because he's popular on smashboards, we shouldn't think he should be ranked so highly in the chance category. I think there are quite a few more interesting characters out there such as Andy, Isaac, and Chibi who could be added to represent new series. Dee isn't nearly as important to his series as people think he is.

Want: 50%- Don't get me wrong, I like Dee. I just think he is way out of his league on this one.

Balloon Fighter
Chance: 15% - He gets a boost for Iwata, but in terms of retros, I think he is a front runner. He is well known as one of the last remaining big name retros that aren't in this game at all. Lip, Mach, and Excitebike would be the other 3.

Want: 50% - I wouldn't mind him that much.

Predictions:
#FE- 2%
Ken Alt - 5%

Nominations:
Idolm@ster Mii Costume x 5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Abstaining on B Dee...no need for a change from my original but wanted to add my two cents on Balloon Fighter...

Balloon Fighter

I'm telling you right now, he WILL not be added as an homage to Iwata...As that doesn't take into account his potential as a playable character or what he could bring to the roster. I feel like Balloon Fighter would've been added already if Sakurai really wanted him...but he won't be added for that reason, as it is the wrong reason to do so. Balloon Fighter doesn't have a lot of support outside of the bandwagon and doesn't have a lot to add in addition to Villager's Up B...while this isn't a be all end all reason he won't be added, it could come into play...Retros' in general are a bit of a longshot when it comes to individual DLC as opposed to being added in the base roster...

----

While yes, Iwata deserves a tribute of somekind, but forcing a character into the game isn't the way to do it. Personally I don't see a need for Balloon Fighter with Villager hijacking his most iconic ability with his Up B, this is probably a way for Sakurai to implement Balloon Fighter into a playable role in some way...

----

Nominations:
SSB4 is the last SSB x2

Pirate Ship x2
New Mii Fighter Archetypex1

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Bandana Dee:
Chance: 40% Bandana Dee has got a pretty good shot out of all the characters remaining for multiple reasons, firstly, the Waddle Dees are suspiciously lacking a trophy this game, secondly, we already know Sakurai knows who he is (look above) and is more likely than not aware of his popularity,thirdly, he's extremely relevant and his situation is comparable to :rosalina:'s before her arrival, plus he's a even more relevant character than even :4metaknight: right now in Kirby, and lastly, Bandana Dee has large presence on the ballot, very large on our very own Boards, and extraordinary presence on Japanese Miiverse. Kirby is also Nintendo's fifth/sixth largest franchise depending on whether you count Wii as a series, and is under represented, plus it's a very popular franchise in Japan, and we all know how Japan is catered to as Nintendo's primary market.

Want: 100% Bandana Dee's character is awesome, he's unique and I love the character. He's more than a simple spear-man, this is a formerly weak waddle dee that was born as weak as any other Dee, but managed to get on Kirby's level via sheer hard work and dedication, unlike most smash characters that simply are born with power. Not only that his spear could be used for a very unique moveset, including anti-air and spacing, which intrigues me at the same time as slightly scaring me (Oh god, another bad matchup for Puff.). I'm also pretty much starving for a Kirby rep at this point, we Kirby fans need to get some love too, ya'know? It seems pretty well justified too, seeing that it's the fifth largest franchise and when I see meager Fire Emblem getting 5, I don't see why we can't get our 4th main protagonist in the game. Fe's reps make me a wee bit jealous too, to be honest. While I'd like to see Dark Matter as the next Kirby rep even more, I think Bandana Dee is just as deserving as him and I'd be very glad to see him take that mantle.

Balloon Fighter:
Chance: 12% I can see him getting in as a tribute, but that's it.

Want: 0% I find it incredibly disrespectful to make money off of Mr. Iwata's death and I significantly doubt Iwata would have wanted the ballot to be swayed by something like this, it just feels really wrong to me on a moral standpoint.

Nominations: Rerate!K. Rool x 15

Predictions: Ken 20%
Genei Ibun Roku #FE (this is how you spell it, right?) rep 15% I feel like it will be overrated a bit.

Edit: Using my other extra noms.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Bandanna Dee

Chance - 30% - Nothing really has happened to chance my perceptions, so I'm keeping it the way it was before. He's the clear cut winner of the Kirby series, and is decently popular, though not overly so. He's probably going to make it in if we have about 4 or 5 characters, though I'm not confident in that happening.

Want - 95% - Honestly, going up. Thinking about it, he's probably within the top three of want right now.

Ballon Fighter

Chance - 0% - I consider him dead in the water. Villager took the only thing he actually did, so h'es going to struggle for scraps. I don't think he has a chance. Iwata's death, as sad as it might be, has no bearing on his chances.

Want - 20% - Might be interesting, but I have no reason to support him, and I think he has nothing left to make.

Predictions

Ken Alt - 1.12% - Would have been with Ryu.

Fire Emblem thingie - 3.45% - Drowned out by being third party and not that popular.

Nominations

Non-playable representation for Ballot Runners-up X5

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Both Balloon fighter and Bandana Dee have virtually no chances.

Like, as much of a chance as us predicting Wii Fit Trainer, which was like 1 in a triple-digit number.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Bandana Dee:
Chance: 22%.
Want: 50%.

Balloon Fighter:
Chance: 15%. A retro rep that has been considered once. But I don't think we'll see him join as dlc unless he gets a ton of ballot support. There's also that Villager joke in Masterpiece mode...
Want: 30% Wouldn't really mind him, though I would prefer most retro reps suggested over him.

Predictions:
#FE: 9%.
Ken costume: 19%.

Nomination: iDOLM@STER mii costume x5.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Sorry guys, no witty intro tonight. This music is so mesmerizing that I can't come up with one...

--

Rerate: Bandana Dee

Chance: 38.5% -> 45%
Honestly? I think his chances have gone up. The dev team has shown they're more capable of cranking out characters than we initially thought, it seems we're probably getting several more characters still, and Bandana Dee has actually been gaining quite a bit of momentum. In just about every Smash-related video I've been coming across lately, there're people in the comments pushing for him.

His alleged weakness right now? This whole idea that Sakurai has something against the Kirby games that have been made since he left HAL? Questionable at best. Though we haven't seen a character or stage yet from modern Kirby, we have seen presence in the form of trophies and music, most notably a piece from Kirby Triple Deluxe included in the very recent return of Dream Land 64. The fact that the new Kirby stages were both from older games could just as easily be chalked up to Sakurai having more ideas based around the games he worked on, or from saving time due to having less red tape to go through.

As for Bandana Dee's strong points?
Bandana Dee is in an interesting position. He's technically been around since Kirby Super Star, but he's only come into his own in the last few years, beginning with his defining role as King Dedede's right hand man in part of Super Star's remake. He has relevance in spades, having racked up more major roles since 2008 than Meta Knight has, and can easily be seen as Main Character #4 of the series. In addition, being a master spearfighter would inherently lend a level of uniqueness to a roster that has no spear or lance users.

Want: 65% -> 60%
Still a little concerned about how much mileage they could get out of spear attacks, but there are ways to expand his repertoire that could feel true to character...hopefully.

Now I'm equally interested in what niche he could fill as far as playstyles go. Could his spear lend toward some kind of anti-rushdown playstyle, sticking opponents that charge him with fast and ranged yet precise attacks that defensive characters are better equipped to avoid or work around?

Balloon Fighter

Chance: 4%

A retro character who got a shot in the arm through the most unfortunate circumstances. With Mr. Iwata's passing, there's been some talk of adding one of his oldest characters to the roster in his honor. While their hearts are in the right place, it's not the right way to pay tribute to the man, and I feel like Sakurai understands that.

More importantly, it doesn't answer the issues surrounding Balloon Fighter as a character. His moveset potential is, to put it lightly, lacking. In fact, his most iconic ability is already being used as the Villager's up special, animation and all! There just...isn't enough there to work with unless they make some huge creative leaps that I'm not sure they want to do with DLC characters.

Want: 17.5%
Not all that interested. If you want a tribute to Iwata somewhere in Smash, this isn't the right way to do it. Besides, it's not as if there aren't other characters already in that he had a major part in creating. :4ness:

Prediction for the Concept of a Ken Alt for Ryu: 12.25%
No DLC costumes for non-Miis yet, leaving this ever less likely.

Prediction for the Concept of a Character from Genei Ibun Roku #FE: 2.25%
A game that won't be out for another year won't have an impact on this rendition of Smash.

Nominations: Rundas x5

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Some people say Bandana Dee is not important, even when he appears more than Dedede and Meta Knight and has more important roles than them in the new Kirby games and even when he would represent the Waddle Dees, the species that appears in literally all the Kirby games. Saying Bandana Dee is not important to the Kirby series is just... not smart at this point.

Has good popularity in both America and Japan, has a spear moveset that is still not used in Smash, has importance to his franchise and recency, I think he is likely.

-Bandana Dee:
Chances: 55%
Want: 100%

-Balloon Fighter:
Chances: 2%

-Nominations:
!Rerate Chibo-Robo X5

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
If they're gonna develop DLC from here on out, it's gonna have to be fanservice AND worth making.

Sakurai said from here on out it's all fanservice. Prior DLC was planned prior to the poll.

I'd like to think that the ones worth making are the more unique ones. But who knows what they're considering doing.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Banana Dee:
Chance 50%/2 = 25%
So he's a character who had been insignificant, who became prominent since Kirby Mass Attack, according to that whatever Kirby wiki thing. In short, he's a stronger Waddle Dee, "depicted to be on par with Kirby in terms of skill and strength".

So yes, he has received a significant role... for six games. He has the relevancy (a game released this year), popularity (not too much), moveset potential(?), so what's impeding him?
  1. Uniqueness (character-wise, not moveset-wise). So like said, he's a Waddle Dee with a spear and bandana, what else? According to the support thread, he has a personality, is Dedede's right hand man, and such. But... is that unique enough? IMHO, he's like a Captain Toad of all Waddle Dees. A generic enemy with slightly more details, personality and extra weaponry, promoted to be a separate character. This doesn't diminish his chance, but I suppose if someone like this has to be added, it would be better with the initial roster. Just my two cents.
  2. Does Kirby need another character? If we need to talk about representation suddenly again, I do think Kirby is fine with 3 characters. Sure, if Kirby gets a newcomer, he would be the most likely and logical choice. But when there exists problem like DK being underrepresented (If you count DK as a separate universe tho), Kirby honestly has a good amount of reps already. One thing though, with 2 out of 4 character DLCs made being two of the highly represented if not overrepresented series, this may or may not matter.
  3. I notice someone mentioned Sakurai bias. Though in this case, I'm thinking about something in the opposite. You know, Sakurai has once claimed that this "Sakubias" claim has made him refrain from doing something, so this might be a possibility too. Just a possibility.
I dunno, he can go either way, but since the DLC is ending and there isn't much going for BDee, his chance is halfed like everyone else.
Want 42%/2 = 21%
He's the newcomer I want most, and the only newcomer that I will not be disappointed of.

Balloon Fighter:
I honestly have nothing to say on this, but I guess I can reference other's post for the points I agree with.
Chance 5%/2 = 2.5%
I'm telling you right now, he WILL not be added as an homage to Iwata...As that doesn't take into account his potential as a playable character or what he could bring to the roster. I feel like Balloon Fighter would've been added already if Sakurai really wanted him...but he won't be added for that reason, as it is the wrong reason to do so. Balloon Fighter doesn't have a lot of support outside of the bandwagon and doesn't have a lot to add in addition to Villager's Up B...while this isn't a be all end all reason he won't be added, it could come into play...Retros' in general are a bit of a longshot when it comes to individual DLC as opposed to being added in the base roster...
Extra points to add:
Yes, he probably won't be added as a Iwata tribute. The Iwata tribute alone is already a bad idea as it is disrespectful to make some game content out of one's death, paid or not, and even worse when this is a fighting game of such. Without the tribute thing going on, he basically has almost negligible chance tbh.​
Want 0%/2 = 0%
Want: 0% I find it incredibly disrespectful to make money off of Mr. Iwata's
death and I significantly doubt Iwata would have wanted the ballot to be swayed by something like this, it just feels really wrong to me on a moral standpoint.
Do I win a competition this time?... Oh wait you already voted Rerate K Rool so that's fine

Abstain from prediction.

Nomination:
Rerate K Rool x5

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Thing is, is that everything about Bandana Dee's moveset naturally falls into place.

Another thing, is that there are far more viable/important/unique characters than Bandana Dee.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Balloon Fighter
Chance- 2%
Has had some support over the years, but the Villager kind of takes away his thunder…
Want- 40%
I'd give him more but… Villager. Ah well.

Bandana Dee
Chance- 25%
A decently likely character with decent prominence, decent recency, and decent support.
Want- 90%
I don't love Bandana Dee, but I do like him.
Kirby can totally merit another character. Dedede should have been in Melee, so getting two characters in Brawl was justice, not bias. Kirby certainly didn't get any extra love in this one (no modern stage?)
The Dee has a spear moveset that would hopefully turn out alright, and while I'd rather see Adeleine, I know Bandana Dee must come first. Once he's in, we can talk about some other lesser important characters. He really shouldn't be that far down the list of characters that need to get in.

Ken Costume Predictions- 4%
#FE Predictions- 3%
Nominations:

Rerate K. Rool x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Extra points to add:
Yes, he probably won't be added as a Iwata tribute. The Iwata tribute alone is already a bad idea as it is disrespectful to make some game content out of one's death, paid or not, and even worse when this is a fighting game of such. Without the tribute thing going on, he basically has almost negligible chance tbh.​
Iwata's tribute doesn't need to be more than a simple 'In memory of' post-credits or just a trophy, which is a similar vein as Walt Disney's Statue at Disney World...But I agree that making excessive content can be taking it a bit too far...Less is more...

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Thing is, is that everything about Bandana Dee's moveset naturally falls into place.

Another thing, is that there are far more viable/important/unique characters than Bandana Dee.
Can you please stop with the spam?
This is your third negative comment about the character, and all your "arguments" are just opinions.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Iwata's tribute doesn't need to be more than a simple 'In memory of' post-credits or just a trophy, which is a similar vein as Walt Disney's Statue at Disney World...But I agree that making excessive content can be taking it a bit too far...Less is more...
True. Though Iwata tribute is basically done with a day of silence in Nintendo (and a few more media).
Both Balloon fighter and Bandana Dee have virtually no chances.

Like, as much of a chance as us predicting Wii Fit Trainer, which was like 1 in a triple-digit number.
Bandana Dee have virtually no chances? I would like to see your reasoning more than just comparing him to a surprise character.
If they're gonna develop DLC from here on out, it's gonna have to be fanservice AND worth making.

Sakurai said from here on out it's all fanservice. Prior DLC was planned prior to the poll.

I'd like to think that the ones worth making are the more unique ones. But who knows what they're considering doing.
If they are put here, they obviously have fans. Also what makes you think they're more worth making or not? Any solid definitions? Any reasoning you think that definition is true?

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
It's stupid because there's so much more that Iwata's done than Balloon Fighter.

Who'd want to be remembered by just one game they made?

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
It's stupid because there's so much more that Iwata's done than Balloon Fighter.

Who'd want to be remembered by just one game they made?
Well, Balloon Fight was one of his first games if not his first, so it would represent a part of his video game career history.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Balloon Fighter chances: 0.7%
Probably the most iconic "retro" game which has yet to be represented with a playable character in Smash 4, but the character is pretty much part of Villager's identity in SSB4.

Balloon Fighter want: 30%
I suppose it could work well with creative liberties in the moveset, and if they change Villager's recovery in SSB5, I could see this happening. But at this point, I'm not that much interested.

-----

Short rating for Bandanna Dee because I don't have much to say:

Bandanna Dee chances: abstain
Bandanna Dee want: 60%

-----

SMTxFE rep prediction: 4.30%
Come to the altar of MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!!

Full Ken alt for Ryu prediction: 1.78%
Seems unlikely.

Nominating:
Returning stage: Meta Crystal x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Bandana Dee
Chance 80%
Maybe a bit high, but I can't think of anything going against him and plenty going for him.

Has plenty of relevance to his franchise
Very popular and has good ballot support
Sakurai has stated he is focusing on fan favourites
His importance within the Kirby franchise has only grown and he is even appearing more often than Dedede and Meta Knight
His move set pretty much writes itself, just like another dlc character, Ryu
People say Kirby is fine with 3, but you can say the same about any franchise, you can also Kirby is fine with 4.
When it comes to a new Kirby character, Bandana Dee faces no competition.
People say that he rise to fame is too recent, but the same could be said for others like Rosalina, Robin and Greninja.

Want 100%
I'm big Kirby fan and the more the merrier.

Balloon Fight
Chance 1%
Villager pocketed his entire gimmick
Want: 6%
Meh

Prediction
FE 1.7%
Ken salt 4%

Nominate Baby Mario x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee
Playable in the biggest Kirby game since Crystal Shards, the only Wii game starring Kirby and a popular game at that.
Playable in the WiiU Kirby game.
Beloved by fans
Moveset potential
No competition in own series.

Want: 30%
Though I'd really want the latter to be true, Magolor is an infinitely better choice moveset-wise.

Balloon Fighter
Chance: 4%
How the death of a guy created a bandwagon for a Smash Bros character.

Disgusting.
If I'd main the character I'd constantly be around people who'd do the same, not out of love for the character or the moveset, but "For Iwata".
It's disgusting to see such a boost in popularity purely on such an emotional basis.
His character will constantly be named in the same sentence as "Iwata would be proud" or "For Iwata" or "Great Man"
And that does not only ruin the character, but the fun, fun for everyone.

FE-thingy: 2.4%
NO MUH WAIFUS IN MUH WAIFU GAME JPOPKAWAII MUUUUUH.
This additude is stupid, but will happen, considering how Lana completely "ruined" Zelda by muhcutismiliness.
NO SMILING IN MAH ZELDA GAMES. THATS MUHKAWAII AND I DO NOT APPROVE OF MUHWAIICUTENESSSMI
EYHAPPINESS
Completely stupid.

Ken Alt: 3.6%

King K. Rool x5

Top Bottom