• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Chance: 10%

I feel it's best to talk about the positives side of his chances first.

Youkai Watch, Jibanyan's game, has become increasingly popular very recently in Japan; it's been gaining popularity to the point many see it as a rival game to Pokemon, and it's currently planned to have an international release as well. In order to market the game and promote its popularity further, Sakurai could choose to have Jibanyan as the Level 5 rep on the Smash roster similar to how many smash bros fans want Inkling to be a DLC fighter to market Splatoon further and highlight its popularity. Furthermore, Level 5, the company that makes Youkai Watch, is on good terms with Nintendo.

But aside from that, I don't really think Jibanyan has a chance to be a DLC fighter for Smash 4. Truth be told, he is in a similar situation like Cross and Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X are. He currently has a Japan-only release, and not too many people outside of Japan are familiar with Youkai Watch. If Youkai Watch has been released internationally about a year ago at the very least, then many gamers would be more familiar with Jibanyan to the point there would be much higher demand for his inclusion into Smash Bros.

Now, I'm aware that, back when I rated Professor Layton's chances, I previously brought up the argument that because of Jibanyan's rising popularity, one could argue that he'd be worth the inclusion into Smash Bros over Professor Layton, another Level 5 character. Personally, however, I think Professor Layton is another reason why Jibanyan's chances are slim. Compared to Jibanyan, Professor Layton is a far more requested for Smash Bros, and he's been in that position for several years now. After all, his games have been out for seven years now (eight years in Japan), not to mention that his series has made international releases within that period of time so that many gamers are very familiar with him to the point a good portion support his inclusion into Smash Bros.

True Layton and Jibanyan are both third party characters (which is what hurts their chances for Smash Bros DLC), but if Sakurai were to pick a Level 5 rep, he'd be more likely to pick Professor Layton because of his recognition in the international audience, his franchise being around for more years than Youkai Watch's, and finally, b/c he has more demand for Smash Bros than Jibanyan.

Want: 5%

The thing is, the Level 5 rep I want to see join the Smash Bros roster as DLC is Professor Layton, and he just so happens to be my most wanted DLC fighter. My runner-up most wanted DLC fighter, Jean Descole (Professor Layton's arch-nemesis), comes from the same franchise as my most wanted character for Smash 4. Put those two facts together and combine that with the fact I don't really know a lot about Youkai Watch and you'll see my desire for Jibanyan's inclusion is very low. I will admit Youkai Watch has a certain charm to it, and if I do end up getting the chance to play it, I think my desire for Jibanyan's inclusion will increase. In that case, however, I could see him being more suited as a Smash 5 rep than a Smash 4 rep.

Long story short, Professor Layton first, then Jean Descole, then Jibanyan (again, my preferrence).

Nominations:

Jean Descole (Professor Layton): x4
Gallade (Pokemon): x1

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well, you know what they say, gotta catch- waaait a minute...

-- Couldn't find any extended music from his home series. Surprising, actually.

Jibanyan

Chance: 3.5%
The more or less mascot of the smash hit Yo-Kai Watch series, you could say Jibanyan is the new 'mon on the block. Level 5's own counterpart to the Pokémon series has been a massive success in Japan, with an international release of the first game in the works. Could this sudden upstart earn a place among the greats?

...Well...were he a Nintendo character, he might have an outside chance, but so far, the criteria for third party characters has been super-strict. I mean, you need to be a huge icon to get an invite to join Nintendo's best and brightest, at least from the four that have made it so far. While that could change, we've seen no proof of it so far. It doesn't feel like a good idea to assume such a radical change would happen so abruptly.

Even beyond that, though, there's another major issue. Jibanyan has become an icon amongst kids the way Pikachu was back in the mid to late '90s...in Japan. While we've seen a pair of characters before that came from Japan-exclusive series, Marth and tagalong clone Roy were on Melee's main roster. Selling an optional character to a fanbase that, outside of Japan, has barely heard of them would be difficult even for a first party character! If Sakurai said the team decided against Takamaru because they were worried he wasn't known enough internationally...what would they say about a non-Nintendo character in the same situation?

With such major risks involved, and with so many other characters to choose from...I can't see it unless something surprising happens.

Want: Abstain
As per usual. Hard to know much about a series that's spent its two years of existence so far entirely in Japan.

Chibi-Robo Prediction: 19.37%
I'm willing to bet his newly announced 3DS game will inflate his chances. Makes him fresh in people's minds, and all.

Nominations:
Absol x5

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Jibanyan - New Age Retro Pikachu

Chance
I'm going to put my chances at say... 5%. I will admit, Jibanyan seems popular... in Japan. Other regions generally don't know who he is, heck, I only know who he is because of Rate Their Chances. I've seen people bring up Takamaru, and, while this is first party vs. third party that we're comparing here, it does hold true. If a first party character didn't have a chance at making the roster, what does it say for a third party character with a similar story? Others have also pointed out that Level-5 would also provide Professor Layton before they would Jibanyan, and this makes much more sense from a business perspective. Not only is Professor Layton known in many regions, he is also fairly popular. Lastly, Jibanyan might be popular, but he doesn't have that "star" power. Yes, he does rival Pikachu in regards to his growing popularity, but Pikachu also boasts star power, something Jibanyan has yet to gain.

Want
1%, only because he can bring a unique move set to the table. Hey, what did you expect, I don't live in Japan so my attachment to this character is nil. Anyways, I don't have much of an attachment to Level-5 games to begin with, but even then I'd prefer Professor Layton to a new rising star. Also, Pikachu is among one of my less liked Pokemon, because of all the attention he get's as mascot, and the fact that he isn't really all that good (yes, surprising that the Jigglypuff main dislikes Pikachu for being an attention hog, the little electric rat mouse). It sounds to me that Jibanyan is Japan's new Pikachu, which also puts me on an off stance with him. Who knows though, when he get's his international releases, maybe my tune will change. It's all up to the...

Predictions: Oh boy Chibi-Robo! Perhaps a chance to give R.O.B. a new friend? I sure hope so, I have fond memories of this guy! 21.7%

Nominations:
Meowth X5

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
ゲラゲラポ〜
ゲラゲラポ〜
Past Evaluations:
K.Rool Chance: 87% Want: 100

Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 3% Want: 14%

Isaac Chance: 70% Want: 90%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 42% Want: 50%

Captain Toad: Abstained chance and want

Krystal Chance: 36% Want: 71%

Dixie Kong Chance: 40% Want: 43%

Impa Chance: 35% Want 79%

Shantae Chance: 10% Want 54%

Inklings Chance: 31% Want: 51%

Rayman Chance: 61% Want 89%

Snake Chance: 35% Want: 50%

Wolf Chance: 98% Want: 100%

Shovel Knight Chance: 13% Want 65%

Quote Chance 8% Want: 4%

Ice Climbers Chance: 25% Want: 40%

Sceptile: Chance: 12.60 Want: 52%

Wonder Red Chance: 18% Want: 78%

Promoted NPCs Chance: 13% Want: 30%

Henry Fleming Chance: 13.20 Want: 57%

Paper Mario Chances: 14% Want: 8%

Roy Chance: 98% Want 100%

Ridley Chance: 5% Want 75%

Chorus Men Chance: 9% Want: 45%

DLC Costumes: Chance 80% Want: 100%

Magolor Chance: 7% Want: 46%

Wolf Link and Midna Chance: 3% Want: 25%

Ray Chance: 37% Want 55%

Tetra Chance: 19% Want: 46%

Pichu Chance: 30% Want: 68%

Ryu Chance 98% Want: 75%

Phoenix Wright Chance: 7% Want: 100%

Lip: Abstained Chance and Want

Simon Belmont Chance: 4% Want 57%

Daisy Chance: 21% Want: 10%

Ninten Chance and Want 1%

Geno Chance: 1% Want: 13%

Squirtle and Ivysaur Chance 13%, Want: 1%

Professor Layton - Chance: 23% Want: 75%

DLC Customs - Chance: 67% Want: 100%

Spyro the Dragon - Abstained Chance and Want

DLC Music Packs - Chance: 67% Want: 100%

KOS-MOS Chance: 1.67% Want: 1.67%

Any Rhythm Heaven Representative character Chance: 35% Want: 65%

Elma and Cross Chance 4% Want: 0% (Not at the moment)

9-Volt Chances: 3% 3%

Monita Chance: 7% Want: 47%

Mach Rider Chance: 9% Want: 15%

Anna Chance: 7% Want 7%

Toon Zelda Chance: 12% Want: 3%

B.B Bandit Trio Chance: 1% Want 1%

Young Link Chance: 26 Want: 60%

Dark Samus: Abstained Chance and Want

Jibanyan Chance: 4% Want: 26%
Jibanyan Chances: 4%
Yōkai Watch getting an overseas release would boost his chances, for sure. If in the opportunity Level-5 games were to be included next time, it's probably going to be a heated battle between him and Layton - with the Japanese fanbase clamouring for Jibanyan while the Western fanbase would be more familiar with Layton.

Want: 26%
Although my real connection to the Yōkai Watch series comes from having seen a subbed first episode of the anime, Yōkai Watch would be cool to see in Smash Bros, but I think if Level-5's main representative character for Smash 5 is Layton, I think Jibanyan would be a good fit for an Assist Trophy in that case. And for Pikachu vs his rising rival? That'd be an interesting thing to see.

Chibi-Robo Predictions: 19%

Nominate: Rerate: Inklings X5

Chance: 1% (Japan-only, third-party, has to compete with Layton)
Want: 5% (+5% because he is a cat and I like cats)

Chibi-Robo prediction: 22%

I get extra nominations?

Nominations: Gengar 10x

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
The scope of Jibanyan's popularity isn't anywhere near Layton. It's so much more well known. It's like saying Pikachu is on the same level as Samus. Sure gamers know Samus and the Metroid series came out a looooong time before Pokemon, but I don't think your grandma knows who Samus is. (If she does, you have a cool grandma and I'm jealous.)

I'm not saying this to be snarky or tell people how they should vote. I'm just trying to be informative. Jibanyan's existence is basically money in the bank for any product in Japan. I don't even LIKE Jibanyan, but I can't deny how influential he is in this country. Comparing him to Murasame Castle's complete irrelevance is just a false dichotomy.

Extra food for discussion: while Youkai Watch is crazy popular in Japan, I am honestly skeptical it will have any international appeal. The basic premise is so completely based on unfamiliar-to-westerners Japanese mythology and ghost stories that I'm not surprised it's taking them so long to localize it. It will need a VERY good localization to make its premise work outside of Japan.

Corollary: The newest game, Yokai Watch 3 (two versions), takes place when the player character moves to America with his family, so that might be a better chance for the series to get an American audience.

Honestly though, YW's international appeal isn't going to be deciding factor. It's much more dependent on whether Sakurai will allow a third party character and whether Level 5 wants to support their cash cow in Smash Bros.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The scope of Jibanyan's popularity isn't anywhere near Layton. It's so much more well known. It's like saying Pikachu is on the same level as Samus. Sure gamers know Samus and the Metroid series came out a looooong time before Pokemon, but I don't think your grandma knows who Samus is. (If she does, you have a cool grandma and I'm jealous.)

I'm not saying this to be snarky or tell people how they should vote. I'm just trying to be informative. Jibanyan's existence is basically money in the bank for any product in Japan. I don't even LIKE Jibanyan, but I can't deny how influential he is in this country. Comparing him to Murasame Castle's complete irrelevance is just a false dichotomy.

Extra food for discussion: while Youkai Watch is crazy popular in Japan, I am honestly skeptical it will have any international appeal. The basic premise is so completely based on unfamiliar-to-westerners Japanese mythology and ghost stories that I'm not surprised it's taking them so long to localize it. It will need a VERY good localization to make its premise work outside of Japan.

Corollary: The newest game, Yokai Watch 3 (two versions), takes place when the player character moves to America with his family, so that might be a better chance for the series to get an American audience.

Honestly though, YW's international appeal isn't going to be deciding factor. It's much more dependent on whether Sakurai will allow a third party character and whether Level 5 wants to support their cash cow in Smash Bros.
Hmm, does that include western support as well? I would think that because of Layton's popularity in the west, as well as some minimal Japanese support would bump him to at least a similar status of Jibanyan, (Jibanyan's popularity lies in Japan, Layton's is more spread out). I really shouldn't say for sure though, because I'm not deeply connected to either character.

Also, it did appear to me that Jibanyan's series was rooted very close to culture. This might still alienate players of Super Smash Bros., making Jibanyan a risky inclusion. I'd like to thank you though for providing some details of the character. Otherwise, I would still feel pretty much in the dark about the series. :)

Last edited:
Jeez jibanyan is getting low want scores. Poor little guy.

Chance and want: abstain
there are way too many variables for me to give a rating. Eastern popularity vs west 3rd party not yet released in the US where it could fail (i doubt it) there are a whole lot of little things to worry about and j just cant put his score on a number.

I will say its greater than 1% at least. Probably much greater.

As for want i havent played his game and i dont think i will. Oh well

Prediction 34%

Noms agnes oblige 5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

While this is true, it is important to put icons in as DLC as they will sell the most. Putting in characters like Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man from the beginning will have Nintendo gain sales because these characters are extremely popular in the media. Ryu is a fighting game icon; people will recognize him from the tremendously popular Street Fighter series and will buy him as a result.
Then we have Jibanyan, who is popular in Japan and is a complete unknown elsewhere. While rules can break, breaking this rule would be a massive risk for Nintendo, especially if he gets in over Professor Layton.
Also, Sakurai was pretty vague about fighting game characters before. I think he told people to not get their hopes up about them because he liked creating characters that don't come from them; it gives him creative liberties. Honestly, Ryu is a plus for Nintendo because of his popularity and he already has a moveset made for him... he'll be relatively easy to create and still be profitable.
It's not a massive risk if Jibanyan is going to sell like hotcakes in Japan, since he's a highly requested character there.
He's not in a situation like Takamaru where his franchise is obscure, even in Japan, Yo-kai Watch is 20x more popular than Murasame Castle, enough popularity for even Sakurai (who lives in Japan) to notice and take into account with his inclusion.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Jibanyan:

But first...

Chance: 3%
A character that's, at the moment, Japan-only, and fierce competition from Layton. Not an ideal combination.

Want: 50%
Well, that song's stuck in my head now...

Predictions for Chibi-Robo: 20% Chance, 65% Want

Nominate Adeleine x 5

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Youkai Watch's Pikachu Jibanyan
Chances: 5%
Want: 0% not even to punch him in the face

ChibiRobo
Prediction: 30%

Noms:
Bub/Bob x5:bubblebobble:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Jibanyan (Youkai Watch)

Chance:20%
First off, I will just say that I do not care for Jibanyan at all. I did nominate him a couple number of times, but that was because I felt that Jibanyan (and Youkai Watch in general) deserved to have a discussion, not because I actually wanted him. But it would be wrong if I were to ignore the massive influence that Youkai Watch has on the Japanese media right now. There seems to be another Japanese resident in this thread, and what he said is pretty much true. If you were to just casually stroll the streets then you might not notice, but once you enter a store that has any child-friendly merchandise you will always, ALWAYS, see Youkai Watch related products on store shelves. To be honest, it has very much surpassed Pokemon at this point. (Though I don't know how long it would last, as it pretty much sold on the anime adaptation alone, and less with the game's quality itself; the first one was fairly generic anyway) Not that Pokemon has less popularity, more like Youkai Watch just is too big. I don't see this blockbuster franchise dying out for at least another five years, unless Level-5 pulls their usual s*** and milks the games too much.

Now, how much of that popularity does that come to Smash? Well, he still is Japan only. Also, his media relies heavily on knowledge of Japanese demons/youkai which could prevent from people enjoying the anime to the fullest (though it didn't stop Dragon Ball or Naruto, so...). So that definately stops him from recieving full marks. But even if he came out at a relatively unknown period in the west, his DLC sales of Japan would be very well enough to pay up for development cost. And as the WiiU isn't a really thriving console, I can sort of -mind you, sort of- see Nintendo making a deal with Level-5 that Nintendo puts Jibanyan in Smash for publicity, and Level-5 makes a Youkai Watch game on the WiiU. I think such an idea would be stupid, but I can't deny the possibility, and it is a smart buisness dicission. The only real thing going against him is his recency, but...people seem to be all for Shovel Knight, and it's not like Level-5 has another mascot they can push anyway.

No, I'm still not going to forgive Level-5 for making Layton 7 in to this stupid smartphone card ********.

Want:1%
I heavily perfer Layton as a Level-5 rep. And he's too recent for my taste.

Chibi-robo predictions:49%
The stuff from the Direct is going to help him out big time...

Nominations:
Slime (Dragon Quest) x5

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Jibanyan:

Chance: Abstain

Nominations:
Concept Full Ken Alt x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Jibanyan
Chance: 45%

First off,

Piggybacking off of what @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 said second of all.
Plus there's also the fact, or at least widely agreed on theory, that Sakurai cares more about Japan than other regions. Also, for anyone saying he isn't on the level of Sonic and the rest, at this point, no one is that iconic or famous.

Want: 100%
He's in my top 5 most wanted. I really love Yokai Watch and I can't wait to play the game. Still, though, if we get a Level-5 character, my most wanted is always and forever Endou.

Chibi-Robo Prediction: 21.11%

Nominations: Inkling x2
Gallade x1
Sora x1
Young Cricket x1

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
JINBAYAN:
CHANCE: 10%
WANT: 25%

Yokai Watch has seen an absurd amount of success in Japan, with an anime and Level-5 pumping out their games like crazy. They haven't caught on in the West yet. They have some chance, I guess, but if Level-5 is going to get a character I don't see why Prof. Layton won't be chosen over him, having more seniority, iconicness and faithful to Nintendo.

I'm not overly familiar with him, but his design is neat, so a little want.

ASHLEY (WARIOWARE) × 5

:231:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
I really feel sorry for those who predicted Dark Samus at 3% and missed the 15 extra noms for just one hundredth of a percent...
(I remember predicting the exact score in the original RTC gave you 15 extra noms... I guess it still apply in this DLC edition right?)
Predicting the exact score gave 10 extra noms. :p But yeah, that's still going to apply in this edition.

To be edited:

Jibanyan's chances: 20%

A third-party, and not exactly a legendary one yet, is practically unknown in the west, and has company competition from Professor Layton. I do however think Yo-Kai Watch's giant popularity in Japan and him being close to Nintendo help him quite a lot.

Want: 0%

I'm fairly interested in his games and plan on trying them out when the series comes over here. That said, I'd prefer this not happen until I see how the series fares outside of Japan.

Chibi-Robo prediction: 16.49%

Nominations: Karate Joe x5

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Jibanyan
Chances - 0.5%
Only due to lack of history since he's a third party. His recency wouldn't be an issue if he were a first party character (and he'd be one strong candidate), but he's no "gaming icon" or "all-star" yet, which is essential for a third party character to have. Among his own company, Professor Layton outclasses him in seniority, demand, and is also globally known. Unlike many characters we've rated however, Jibanyan has a bright (and global) future, and may outshine Layton come Smash NX.

Want - 10%.. Nah, I plan on getting Yokai Watch once it comes to the USA, however, and this may improve.

Chibi-Robo predict - 28%

nominate - Hades x3, Medusa x2

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Jibanyan.

I don't really know much about this character but I'll give him a generous 10% chance based on what I've heard.

Want 0%
I'm sorry, but you all know that I have my sights set on Professor Layton as Level-5's third party and beyond that I'd probably even prefer Mark Evans as a hypothetical second......

Like I said, I'm not familiar with Jibanyan or his series all that much....

Chibi Robo 20%

Mallo x5

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Jibanyan.

I don't really know much about this character but I'll give him a generous 10% chance based on what I've heard.

Want 0%
I'm sorry, but you all know that I have my sights set on Professor Layton as Level-5's third party and beyond that I'd probably even prefer ENDOU MAMORU as a hypothetical second......

Like I said, I'm not familiar with Jibanyan or his series all that much....

Chibi Robo 20%

Mallo x5
Fixed to make this readable to me

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Jibanyan:

Chance and Want:ABSTAINED

Prediction:

Chibi Robo: 22.5%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Chibi Robo's gonna be an interesting one, especially now after the micro direct which confirmed the Chibi Robo amiibo and new game are coming to the west in October.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Jibanyn:
Chance: 1%
Man, I need to make a list of characters more suited for smash 5 than smash 4 dlc. Here's my list out of our rated characters:
-Cross
-Elma
-Ridley
-Dark Samus
-Kid now/squid now
-Shovel Knight
and now this guy. Here are My arguments against him:

1.) I don't see why Nintendo would take the risk of adding this guy when his game hasn't yet been released in America. His game could end up as a complete flop here, and I'm positive they wouldn't pull a "make a character to promote the game" scenario with a competitor's game. Honestly, if they revealed this guy post-ballot his trailer might as well go like this:

Sakurai: "Thank you to all of our North American and European fans who have placed ballot votes. The amount of votes you have sent in is simply staggering. We have read all of your requests, and have decided to completely disregard all of them and put in this character almost none of you have ever heard of. We really don't care if you buy him or not, as we are already rolling in yen from our Japanese customers."

2.) If Nintendo really wanted to put in a third party character that was super popular in Japan, wouldn't they go with a monster hunter character? The series has already been released in America/Europe and has an already established (but much smaller than in Japan) fanbase here.

3) He doesn't fit in at all with the 3rd parties we have seen. Let's take a look at our Smash 4 third parties:
Pac Man: Probably the most recognizable character in all of video gaming, and has been a cultural icon for 35 years.
Sonic: A former rival to Mario that was Sega's mascot in the Sega vs. Nintendo conflict of old, but has since become a staple of Nintendo platforms.
Mega Man: A character that has been a staple on Nintendo platforms for over twenty-five years, and one of the most heavily requested characters to enter the smash scene.
Ryu?: Reinvented the entire fighting genre with Street Fighter II, and has continued the series up until present day.
Jibanyn: Created a Japan-only phenomenon in the last few years.
Someone seems quite out of place here...

4.) Now if his game(s) receive the same levels of success in Europe and America, then he may very well happen in smash 5. With universal appeal and a few international releases under his belt, his inclusion would be likely despite his third-party status. But with no international releases atm, there's no way this reject Fire/Ghost Pokémon will get into smash 4 as dlc.

Nothing against him personally, but in terms of third party characters, they could do infinitely better.

Predicting Chibi-Robo at 17%
Nominating 7 or more dlc characters (Almost there!) x5

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Even if for some reason iconicness matters Jibanyan is pretty on par at the level of success as many of the icons when they first debuted with their first games had an anime, an extremely successful movie debut, manga, just like Mega Man back in the day, only the icons have seniority, but that probably wouldn't matter.

StormC

Smash Hero
On phone. Most of the topic has been covered.

Chance: 5%

Want: 10%

beast Ganon 5x

chibi-robo prediction: 20%

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Jibanyan the Fire Cat.

Chances: 0.6% Has to compete with Prof. Clefairyton, isn't even released outside of Japan, can be seen as a competitor to Pokemon which I'm not sure if Nintendo will take fondly.

Want: 0% I don't really care much for him, and I'd much rather have a actual Pokemon rep before this guy, it would also be quite unfair to western fans if he managed to get in, like how many of you have already pointed out.

Predictions:
Chibi-Robo 23% chance 40% want

Nominations:
Jirachi x 2 Dark Matter x 3

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Jibanyan
Chance: 0.8%
Basically giving him something under the "Anything Can Happen" preemptive. I actually don't believe for a second he has any real chance at becoming playable DLC. I feel like Leafeon523 explained it perfectly. I'll give Japan's fad cat a score of 0.8%.
What could possibly g-oh, wrong cat...

Want: 0.2%
Yeah, no thanks.

Prediction - Chibi-Robo: 24.6%

Nominations:
x3 !Rerate: Inklings
x2 Tails the Fox

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Y'know, if a particular criterion is satisfied by all of the 3rd parties chosen, you need some basis to claim that it "probably won't matter".

:231:
The amount of extraordinary success it had in Japan and the high demand for the character is enough to compensate the lack of an international release as of now, just like how the high amount of votes K. Rool is getting is enough to compensate for his lack of relevancy.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The amount of extraordinary success it had in Japan and the high demand for the character is enough to compensate the lack of an international release as of now, just like how the high amount of votes K. Rool is getting is enough to compensate for his lack of relevancy.
Two big differences blue.
A) First party to third party
B) King K. has been a villain who has been continuing and gainin popularity since Brawl and "relevancy" is still apt when he is the key villain for the DK Series, with his games getting VC re-releases throughout this period of time. Still worth something if MM3D is enough to hold ground for Young Link. DK 64 returning just this April. The fact that purchases of these games in the past few years have been used to incentivise more sales of DKCR 3DS and TF via 30% discounts on those titles keeps THEM relevant, even if he hasn't had a new title in the past 7 years.

Edit: C) The "High Demand" has a certain level of disparity based on that japanese poll that PushDustin pulled up for newcomers and veterans alike where Jibanyan was a noticable slice, but far behind the likes of K. Rool.

Double Edit: Source - https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/smash-poll-smash-dlc-results/
Skewed, as any an poll will be.
But the fact is the two conditions are far different.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Two big differences blue.
A) First party to third party
B) King K. has been a villain who has been continuing and gainin popularity since Brawl and "relevancy" is still apt when he is the key villain for the DK Series, with his games getting VC re-releases throughout this period of time. Still worth something if MM3D is enough to hold ground for Young Link. DK 64 returning just this April. The fact that purchases of these games in the past few years have been used to incentivise more sales of DKCR 3DS and TF via 30% discounts on those titles keeps THEM relevant, even if he hasn't had a new title in the past 7 years.
It was only an example of compensating so you get the idea of it. :p
Not really comparing to K. Rool's chances.
Point B) certainly holds really well for Jibanyan since his franchise is continuously getting advertised a huge ton in Japan with loads of merchandise behind it.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Jibanyan
Chance: 7%
I'll give the little guy credit, his series has been one of the biggest hits in Japan in recent years and is probably the only series that has contested Pokémon for the 'Mon crown since Digimon. It has a huge anime (with a movie that beat out Pokémon's recent entry) with a series of games that are selling like hotcakes in Japan, so there's no doubting that this franchise has a strong presence in the country at the moment and I wouldn't doubt that this translates to some fan support over there. However, note the recurring phrase I keep bringing up: in Japan. The big issue he faces is that he's very unknown in the west as his game hasn't hit yet and very few fans over here are familiar with him. That doesn't necessarily means he's dead in the water automatically, but it does hurt him somewhat since Sakurai has mentioned recently that he wants the characters he picks to be more familiar to the west. That may change once his game gets over, but that still seems to be far off, so even with the franchise's massive popularity in Japan I don't think it'll completely overcome his lack of presence in the west.

Want: Abstain
I have very little history with the character, so it'd be a bit unfair for me to give a vote here.

As an aside though, I hope that Yokai Watch does well here. It looks like it's a good series, and Pokémon could use a competitor to make them push themselves harder considering it as a franchise has been too complacent lately.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Crap, better finish this thing fast since the day's almost over and I have a new chapter to upload for my fans tonight!
Jibanyan
Chance: 20%

He's slowly becoming the new Pikachu thanks to the popularity of Yokai Watch in Japan and definitely becoming more revenant than any of the more "iconic" Digimon lately. @PushDustIn's very results had proven that he's a popular choice for DLC over there and I would be surprised if it didn't translate into ballot votes by now. Level-5 is very close with Nintendo and the series is definitely getting more promotion than any Professor Layton title (plushes, toys, anime, ect.). The game itself is coming soon to the West as we speak and IGN is even calling it "the new Pokemon" (Which shows how much their bias had evolved over the years).

The only flaw that would go wrong with this cat is that he lacks familiarity in the West and doesn't have that many English requests either. But again, Sakurai shows no favoritism towards either the West nor East for any character since we never got a certain Venus Adept or Kremling in the roster yet. It can go either way and I can see Level-% wanting to promote the game in the West over the more famed Gentleman Fencer.

Want: 40%

I'm interested in buying the game next year and I freaking love the concept of yokai (Yokai Dochuki, Pom Poko, Gegege no Kitaro, ect.). Plus, he's worthy enough of facing the Pokemon mascot over Aguman because of notoriety and relevance alone. Call me biased if you want, but I'd rather give the adorable bakeneko a chance to prove himself instead of bashing him.

Prediction - Chibi-Robo: 5%

Nominations: xTakamaru #SlashtheVote

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Hmmm, so the game's called Yokai Watch? Well that sounds boring! Is all you do watch yokai? I hear they're invisible!

That, or its the name of some public alert system to keep residents on the lookout for mischievous or violent creatures. I actually dig this idea! Mock that shiz up pronto!

Character Chance Ratings

1: Ryu - 97.7%
1: Roy - 97.7%
2: Wolf - 97.5%
3: Professor Layton - 90%

4: Rayman - 60%
5: Snake - 55%
6: Inkling - 50%
7: Sceptile - 45%
7: Krystal - 45%
8: Paper Mario: 44.5%

9: Dixie Kong - 43%
10: Wonder Red - 40%
11: Impa - 40.5%
12: Simon Belmont - 35%
13: Cross - 35.7%

14: Elma - 35.3%
15: Ice Climbers - 30%
15: Captain Toad - 30%
16: Toon Zelda - 29.3%

17: Chorus Kids - 27.5%
18: Magolor - 25%
19: Henry Fleming - 25.7%
20: Spyro - 25.3%
21: Anna - 23%
22: Ivysaur - 23.7%
23: Jibanyan - 22%
24: Squirtle - 22.5%
25: Quote - 21.5%
26: Phoenix Wright - 20%
26: Shovel Knight - 20%
27: Shantae - 20.5%
28: Tetra - 20.3%

29: 9-Volt - 10%
29: Midna & Wolf Link - 10%
30: Lip - 10.5%
31: Geno - 7%
32: Young Link - 6.3%
33: KOS-MOS - 5%
33: Ray - 5%
33: Pichu - 5%
34: Daisy - 5.7%
35: Ridley - 5.5%
36: Monita - 3%

-: Chibi Robo - ?.?%

Character Want Ratings

1: Professor Layton - 100%
1: Shovel Knight - 100%
1: Wolf - 100%
2: Simon Belmont - 90.5%
2: Sceptile - 90.5%
3: Shantae - 87%
4: Wonder Red - 86.5%

5: Snake - 85%
5: Impa - 85%
6: Magolor - 85.5%

7: Anna - 80%
7: Ice Climbers - 80%
8: Chorus Kids - 80.5%
9: Jibanyan - 69.7%
10: Ryu - 60%
10: Paper Mario: 60%
11: Midna & Wolf Link - 60.5%
12: Phoenix Wright - 55%
13: Ridley - 50%
14: Inkling - 30%
15: Henry Fleming - 30.5%

16: Rayman - 25%
17: Cross - 25.7%

18: Elma - 23%
18: Quote - 23%
19: Krystal - 20%
19: Dixie Kong - 20%
19: Toon Zelda - 20%
20: Tetra - 20.5%

21: Squirtle - 10.7%
21: Ivysaur - 10.7%
22: Geno - 10.5%
22: Roy - 10.5%
23: Spyro - 7%
24: Young Link - 5%
25: Lip - 5.7%

26: Captain Toad - 5.5%
27: Ray - 4.5%
28: KOS-MOS - 3%

29: 9-Volt - 3.5%
30: Monita - 1%
30: Pichu - 1%
30: Daisy - 1%

-: Chibi Robo - ?.?%

Concept Chance Ratings
1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 90.5%
2: DLC Alternate Costumes - 85%
3: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 65.7%
4: DLC Music Packs - 50.5%
5: Rhythm Heaven Character - 45%

Concept Want Ratings
1: DLC Characters Receive Custom Moves - 100%
1: DLC Alternate Costumes - 100%
2: DLC Music Packs - 65%
3: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 50.5%
4: Rhythm Heaven Character - 40.3%

Abstains (Inactivity)

King K. Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Mach Rider
Dark Samus

Abtsains (Indifference)

Ninten
B.B. Bandit Trio

RATINGS

Jibanyan

Chance - 22%: The adorable mascot of a recent franchise that is notable for having such staggering hype in Japan that no other recent franchise has afforded since Pokémon. Maverick regional bias and power in Japan.

Jibanyan is the Shovel Knight of the Japanese audience at this time. Level-5 rolled a hit they never anticipated and Jibanyan frontlines this cultural phenomenon. Yokai Watch has had a marketing and cultural explosion after 3 games with the first to hit the West next year. The Japanese are probably voting him en massé and I'm sure the Ballot isn't going to be the only thing making all those requests more apparent to these Japn-based devs.

Yet it's his temporary region-exclusivity that puts a huge hurdle before him. While it's highly likely the Japanese would receive him extremely well and its reasonable to bank on Western hype being around this level when it gets localized due to what we've already seen, there's also a risk that Yokai Watch won't make as big of a splash in the international theater, making it dicey to bank on. On top of that, Sakurai has gone on record saying that he isn't partial to Japanese players only and that characters such as Takamaru were scrapped due to unfamiliarity in the West. And that's even with Takamaru's Ninja Castle in Nintendo land and The Great Muramasame Castle being released through the 3DS eShop for the first time in the West. The whole Fire Emblem success story kind of hallmarks Japan-centric characters like Takamaru and Jibanyan though. So we'll see.

Oh, and if you think this still-growing Second-Coming-of-Pokémon franchise is enough to dilute the huge amounts of popularity and iconicity Professor Layton has, especially worldwide, you best proceed with caution if you're going to take the gamble. It could be seen as unwarranted if Level-5 pulled a Mega Man-Ryu for their stature. But it could still happen.

Want - 69.7%: While the fiery demon bakeneko wouldn't excite me more than many other characters, he's someone I'd welcome with open arms. Yokai Watch is definitely on my radar.

Jibanyan oozes of a lovable, adorable mascot. There's something about his design that just about everyone can approach and feel comfortable towards. I remember the Pokémon craze where several kids and adults alike hated the very idea of Pokémon. Yet they would look at Pikachu and give him some nods over how cute or cool he looked. Maybe they even gave him a free pass from their bias. I dunno! People would warm up to him quick and be compelled to try his game as a result of appearing in a high-profile crossover.

He has more than enough material to craft an original moveset from ( a few users have already taken some moves from a skim of his Yokai Watch Wiki page). Right off the bat, I see him having a lot of fire-based attacks and fire hitboxes. The most prominent use of this would be through his tail flames being a channeling source a la Pikachu's cheeks.

Also, have you seen all of those "alt Jibanyans" like the ones dancing around in that charming little music video that's been linked on the previous page? Incorporate them as his palette swaps or at least an alternate set of them a la Little Mac and you're good to go!

PREDICTION

Chibi Robo

Chance - 36.45%
Want - 56.78%

NOMINATIONS

*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x2
*Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x2
*Concept: Smash 5 has 10 Year Wait Cycle x1

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Today's debates reminds me of an old Ed Edd and Eddy episode in which they turn Jimmy into a sumo wrestler in hopes of getting rich and famous, only to find out that they are only popular in Japan. No matter how popular Jibanyn is in Japan, here he is just an outcast:ohwell:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Where's colderthanice? Wasn't the rating supposed to close 7pm pacific and open new one at 8pm pacific?

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Jibanyan
Chance: 7% - I don't think he has the biggest chance but it's undeniably there. A DLC Yokai Watch character would sell extremely well in Japan. A lot of people will bring up the fact that he's largely unknown in the west yet that didn't stop us from giving Rayman, who's almost completely unheard of in Japan, a whopping 29.56% chance rating (11th overall). My question is if we can put so much faith in western centric All Star than what's wrong with putting that type of faith in an eastern one as well? Some people will also bring up that he lacks the "star status" required for a third party, but has it ever really been defined how big a character has to be obtain that?
A number one best seller? He has that.
A tv spin off series? He has that.
Millions of dollars worth of merchandise? He has that.
How big is big enough?
Want: 100% - I would love to see Yokai Watch represented. It's one of my most anticipated games right now.

Chibi-Robo prediction: 9%

Nominations: Aqua x5

@ JBRPG JBRPG I'm late because I was attending a birthday dinner. Sorry about that.

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

Top Bottom