• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Yeah, from what I can tell Geno is similar to Yuffie or Kimahri, an incidental party member who joins up and then has a limited/no impact on the plot. It's not uncommon for these to get popular but it'd be an exceptionally out there newcomer choice.
He's more like the Exposition Fairy of the game, and is overall the best character to have on your party offense-wise, which is why people like him. The game leaves a lot of room for players to fill in with their imagination, which is how Geno managed to evolve from his role in the titular game to the cult status he has today.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Geno

Chance: 15% - Geno's seeming pretty likely. Sakurai's talked about Geno directly, and he's been considered for Smash before, but wasn't able to at the time. When it came to getting the rights to Cloud, Sakurai made sure to include Geno as a Mii Outfit. With Cloud returning, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai made a push to try and get Geno. Of course, with so many 3rd Parties already, trying to get the rights to even more could prove difficult. Especially with how finicky Square Enix seems to have been with Cloud, only having two costumes and a stage. Not even an English voice.

Want: 1% - Geno is neat, and although I'd vastly prefer him over Cloud, I'm not a fan of adding more 3rd Party characters to the roster. His only saving grace is that he's a Mario character.

Dillon

Chance: 5% - Decent popularity, and had a game come out recently. Also helps that he was an Assist Trophy back in Smash 4, so there's a bit more to work with there. However, I don't think that'll be enough for him.

Want: 5% - I wouldn't necessarily object to him, but there's plenty of other characters I'd like to see.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x10

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Rolling Western Armadillo

Chance: 15%
Want: 20%

He's new enough, and has some support behind him. He's been an assist for a bit now, and it's easy to see him move up.

That is, if anyone looks at him and recognizes him.

He's in a weird state as an eShop exclusive - he's not that well known as a result. Compare him to Spring Man: Dillon's been around longer, has more games, but talk to casual Nintendo fans and they'll be able to describe Spring Man from memory based on how heavily he was promoted, and will most likely give a "Literally who?" for the cowboy armadillo.

Because of this massive lack of notoriety, I can't see him getting more than the assist he has now.

Personally, he has a cool enough design, but the spinning charge moveset is taken by some blue hedgehog looking thing, and like I said, he's not exactly notable so there are loads more characters I'd want in first.

Prediction for Midna: 19.3%
Nom: anything from Skyrim x3, Mewtwo x2
No changes here.

Now the big one...
Pinocchio

Chance: 35%
Want: 0%

Sakurai likes him, and he has a rabid fanbase. Sm4sh has shown third parties are a non-issue and he got the Mii costume, so he’s definitely visible.

But ugh, no thanks. At all.

I never understood all the support for him in the first place. A (i) third party (ii) one-off character who’s (iii) spin-off only from (iv) over twenty years ago (v) with no future who’s (vi) not exactly iconic. Any one of those points is used as a hit against other characters we’ve rated so far, so why is a character with all six better?

If Geno gets in above Daisy, that is just a royal **** you to Daisy fans. And feel free to replace “Daisy” with “Waluigi” for another Mario rep, “Midna” or “Skull-Kid” as one-offs who actually bothered to get a remake, or “Doomguy” or “Dovahkiin” for third parties whose games made immense impacts.

Geno’s one of those few characters I actively don’t want because he does hit all the criteria for irrelevance. There are too many characters I want who are denied by various arguments above, so someone with that many hits against him should not be considered a Nintendo All-Star because of nothing but a vocal fanbase. Give him a trophy in the next game and leave it at that.

Prediction for Isabelle: 29.6%
Nom: something from Skyrim x5
I’ll bump the chance up to 40%, but very begrudgingly. And I’d drop my want score if I could.

With the game seeming to be fanservicey, and with as rabid a fanbase as Geno has, it’s looking likely. Sakurai has even mentioned him by name, which he’s only done for one other character - Ridley.

Still, Geno is only known from a single spinoff twenty plus years ago, so we can’t assume that there’s some massive secret fanbase of teenagers who make up a silent majority like Bayonetta had. Geno hasn’t shown up in any other spinoffs, so nobody really knows him outside of Smash speculation circles. You’d think Nintendo would just buy the rights to Geno (not like Square’s using him) and start letting him show up in Mario Karts/Parties/etc so people would get a feel for him and his personality (which is an aspect not many people talk about)

We like to say that Waluigi is in a perfect place in the game since he’s never been in a main series game, only every other spinoff where he’s a walking meme. And Geno...was never in a main series game, only a single 22 hear old spinoff where he wasn’t even the most important party member.

Not to mention that we’re hitting saturation on Mario characters (we already have one), and that third-parties need to be more strictly vetted. Bomberman gives a nice idea - stick him as an assist, and then we’re good.

But here’s the deal: I’ll support your one-off third-party from a 20-year-old cult classic if you manage to get in my one-off third-party from a 7-year-old triple A megahit that proved Nintendo can play with the big boys. If I get a playable Dovahkiin, I’m rating everyone 90+in want. But until the roster is big enough for the Dragonborn, Geno’s place is not in the roster either.

Nom: Tails x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I grew up playing Super Mario RPG on the Wii Virtual Console loving every second of the experience. I thought Geno was a very cool character back then and wanted him in Smash 4. That never happened. But, I was super astonished when Geno had his own Mii costume for Smash 4 DLC. I looked into the interview of Sakurai mentioning the story behind the Mii costume with him stating:

"Geno:

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality."

I interpreted that comment as Square Enix being stingy about their properties. I thought he was not included because he was just a character from a one-off SNES game and never thought much about it since, slowly drifting away my hope for the puppet as time went on, never seriously considering him when it came to Smash Ultimate newcomer speculation. But, then I thought about critically. I thought about Vergeben's rumor of Simon Belmont and Ridleybeing in Smash as his info quickly became more legitimate at E3. What these two choices hold in common was that they were generally perceived as impossible due to many reasons such as Konami being a bad company, the harsh treatment of Kojima, and Sakurai stating two times in Brawl/Smash 4 that Ridley would be impossible.

Thinking hypothetically, if Sakurai went that far to implement these characters in Smash Ultimate, despite the very difficult obstacles, I personally believe Sakurai would go beyond the line and negotiate Geno from Square Enix yet again. What I theorize about Smash 4 DLC was that the production for it had a lower budget. The evidence pointing to this is Sakurai stating that they had a smaller team working on the DLC, noting that there were a smaller selection of songs to choose from (pointing out the Midgar FF7 stage having only two non-remixed songs), and Sakurai choosing to add the "most realizable and negotiable character" (Bayonetta) when it came to the Smash 4 ballot. I feel these budget constraints prevented Sakurai from negotiating beyond Cloud Strife for Smash 4 DLC, with the only affordable option left being to add Geno as a Mii costume.

Normally, I would say that Geno being a one-shot character and Square Enix being strict would damage his chance to be in Smash. But, I do not believe this to be an actual problem for Sakurai. He wanted Geno badly back in Brawl and Smash 4 because of his move-set potential, setting aside the fact that his appearance was one-time, being willing enough to get Geno as one of the only notable Mii costumes for Smash 4 DLC done for the fans. Considering that SMRPG was one of Square's biggest successes in history (with SMRPG selling as massively as the huge Tomb Raider/Final Fantasy games), I feel the company would be fine with the idea of SMRPG being represented in Smash. The belief that Square Enix would strike against the idea of Geno being playable is a huge overstatement.

Square would be willing to make business to make Geno in Smash a reality, if the budget for negotiating characters for Smash Ultimate allows it. With the opportunity being possible thanks to Smash Ultimate likely being a higher budget game, this would finally have Sakurai realize Geno for Smash. The 13 year-long journey of Sakurai wanting Geno as a playable fighter would close in pure satisfaction for him and the immense number of hardcore Geno supporters. With Sakurai focusing more on popular newcomers this time around with a somewhat tighter newcomer pool, I am banking that he will make Geno a playable character, making a dream finally come true.

-------------

x10 Leon Kennedy

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm skipping Dillon as I don't feel like I have anything to contribute in relation to him.

Geno:

Chance: 40% - I don't think he's more likely than not, but he's still got a much better shot than ever before. Square is at the table from the beginning this time, Sakurai openly admitted that he wanted him in after the project plan was finalized, and obviously Square have shown that they're willing to let Nintendo use him as he had the costume in Smash 4. With all that said Geno is still a relatively obscure character, and although he's always been a popular suggestion it's hard to feel overly confident about his chances due to the nature of the character (hailing from a spinoff, just one of several party members, 3rd party, not relevant, etc), if there are very limited spots for newcomers Sakurai could perhaps feel that he's not worth prioritizing so highly because of it.

Want: 85% - I really do hope he'll make it, in my opinion Geno and K. Rool are the last top dogs that are still missing from the roster, no other remaining options have had the same history with the Smash speculation scene as those two, if they were to be included I'd feel like Smash speculation would be done. I have no personal experience with Geno at all, but he's someone I want just for his fantastic fanbase, I love that they've been able to push a character so hard simply because the idea of him being in Smash is super cool, and not because of relevancy, importance or franchise representation. They're an example of what Smash speculation is all about imo.

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Dillon

Chance: 10%
He's a nyuer IP on the dying 3ds's eshop, and is decently popular I think nya... The roster was decided in 2015, so I have a hard time seeing him return as anything but a AT nya. Maybe dlc though nya~

Want: 30%
Opinion hasn't changed, but I've just increased my percentage nya. I like his design, but other than that I have nyo interest in him or his games nya.

Geno

Chance: 25%
Opinion hasn't changed, just my score nya. While he is popular and liked by Sakurai, he faces competition from the other two Mario characters and is owned by SE nya.

Want: 50%
Opinion hasn't changed nya. I'm nyot for him, but I'm nyot nyagainst him either nya.

Nyominations
Tingle: x10

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Geno Chance - 5%: The main reasons people are giving Geno a lot of credit are because Sakurai has said he wanted Geno in the game and because of the deaths of Waluigi and Captain Toad. These are fair enough reasons, and there are a handful of polls he has done acceptably on. However, I just really do not see it. Why would Sakurai be so open about this character, practically spoiling his addition, if he was going to add him? Even if Sakurai is just being open about being a Geno fanboy and really wants to add him to the game, we have to get past Square Enix as well. Why would Square ever approve this guy over a character from Dragon Quest or a second Final Fantasy character, or literally any other property that they own? Geno is for all intents and purposes a Nintendo character that Square just so happens to own, and provides no benefit whatsoever to them to be included. His cameo was removed from the remake of Superstar Saga as well.

He is oftentimes thrown in with K. Rool with some people because of irrelevance. Being the main antagonist of 10 or so games over a 13 year period is just ever so slightly above being a party member in a single game released 22 years ago. Geno is also not from a series that has been extremely obligated to get characters since SSB4's failure to do so. This is all assuming you equate his popularity to K. Rool's, which I personally do not believe either.

Geno Want - 0%: I like SMRPG, and there's nothing wrong with Geno as a character. He's fine. Really, he is. The issue is the Mario RPGs have a wealth of great characters to pick from, and when compared against them he doesn't look all that great anymore. TTYD, Superstar Saga, and BiS are all better than SMRPG, all have numerous characters I think would be better choices, and perhaps most importantly don't involve any red tape with Square Enix (See nomination).

Dillon Chance - 1%: I really don't see this guy having any shot at all when character slots are so limited, his franchise just isn't big or successful enough. We're struggling to get in other advertisements that actually succeeded, let alone him. He does have a good character design that Sakurai could see merit in, but it would basically take a Greninja level fascination from Sakurai to get this otherwise random character into the game.

Dillon Want - 5%: He would be a fun character and all but I still think this is too early for him. He is too Z list for me. Even in a context where all Smash newcomers are only from recent titles, he doesn't really carry the weight of an "all-star."

Nominate Fawful x10

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ugh... SO MUCH LOWBALLING. It makes a man sad, seeing his favorite character's chances underrated so much by the haters...

Anyway, let's get this out of the way: I'm abstaining on want and chance on Dillon. In my eyes, this is Geno's day, and besides, I know basically nothing about Dillon and his games other than that the man himself was an Assist Trophy back in Smash 4. I know that's not really enough to peg a confident chance on, so I'm not gonna bother on that front.

Now, let's start by addressing the elephant in the room that's been brought up in this thread several times just today: "if Sakurai really wants Geno in so bad, why isn't he in already??" And to that, I say... seriously? Did you forget the massive falling out between Square Enix and Nintendo that basically forced them into separate corners of the gaming sphere for all of 10-15 years? Yeah, let's just say there's a reason it took until Smash 4 DLC for them to get into Smash at all. In reality, Geno wasn't "rejected" twice like some people here are saying out of their asses, it's more like he was sort of a pipe dream of Sakurai's that simply couldn't pan out because Square Enix wasn't on board yet. Indeed, it's reasonable to assume that Geno would be in Smash already if Sakurai already had the means to put him in. And, well, now he does. And to answer the even stupider question of, "then why did he spring for Cloud instead of Geno???" ...are you seriously trying to tell me that Sakurai would realistically have chosen a fan-favorite from a cult-classic RPG who hasn't gotten to do much since due to office politics over the closest thing Square Enix has to a mascot just because he's a Geno fanboy? We're talking about a literal video game hall of famer here. To put Geno in despite Cloud, or at least someone from Square Enix's flagship franchise, would be akin to putting Bayonetta in before Sonic, or Heihachi in before PAC-MAN. These characters have their fans, but when you get right down to it, putting them in Smash before the mascots of their respective companies would just be downright stupid on a multitude of levels. The truth is, Cloud didn't "steal Geno's spot" or "hog Geno's spotlight", he paved the way for Geno by smoothing negotiations between Sakurai and Square Enix and getting the latter's golden boy squared away (heh). No matter how much Sakurai may like him personally, Geno was never going to be the first Square Enix rep in Smash; it was always going to be Cloud. So no, Geno's chances have not hit rock bottom just because he didn't make it in the first time, and to assume otherwise is simply laughable, childish, and stupid. Look at the big picture, and you'll see how things really pan out on the business end of things.

So, now that we've gotten that stupid argument out of the way, what chance does Geno actually have? Well, he's basically the longest-standing common character request bar Ridley, for one. For a simple one-off who "nobody will recognize", Geno's popularity is not to be understated. We're talking about a character who has been so popularly requested, that he's essentially taken on a life of his own as an emblem of the Smash speculation scene itself to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of Smash fans did know who he is. And we mustn't forget the historical importance of his game as well, which was essentially the Mario series' foray into RPGs. Even if it never received a sequel (which it rightfully should with Square Enix and Nintendo having a workable business relationship again, fingers crossed), its legacy went on to directly inspire the Paper Mario series, which, in turn, would inspire the Mario & Luigi line of RPGs, both highly successful series that are still going to this day. Even if he may not produce the most dollar signs (which is a ****ty reason to add any character over another, but I digress), to say Geno and his game are a footnote in gaming history is disingenuous at best.

But alas, popularity alone does not a fighter make, and if that were indeed all Geno had going for him, I'd probably peg his chances down at something like 15%. But there's one major thing that I believe puts Geno a cut above every single one of his competitors: favor with the creator. I needn't link the article that so many others in this thread have already cited wherein Sakurai stated that he wanted Geno in as far back as Brawl, citing specifically his moveset potential and how he would "fit perfectly in Smash." Just how many times has Sakurai said that about a character? Hell, the fact that he got a Mii Costume at all is proof positive that Sakurai, and likely Square Enix as well, knows how popular Geno is, and now that he finally has the means to add Geno as a fighter, he has no reason not to add him at this point, unless he suddenly decides someone like Captain Toad would be a better choice for some reason. Now, I don't know about anybody else, but when a character already has mass fan pull, approval from the man who calls the shots, and the proverbial green light from his parent company, then frankly, I question how much better their chances can get.

So, all in all, where do I think that leaves Geno? Well, I'm not gonna lie, I think his chances are looking pretty fantastic. We already know this Smash game is essentially a love letter to long-time Smash fans, and anyone who thinks it isn't simply hasn't been paying attention - even from what little we've seen of the game so far, we've already seen every single veteran come back to please the fans, Ridley be added specifically at western fans' behest, Daisy, Inkling to a lesser extent, a stage hazard toggle, Battlefield forms, Ganon's sword, nigh every stage come back, Krystal as an Assist Trophy, the return of directional airdodging, and literally so much else that fans have been pulling for for years, if not decades at this point. Right out of the gate, we've got basically everything short of a statement from Sakurai himself that fanservice is this Smash's modus operandi, and we've already seen one of the "Speculative Triforce" of Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno confirmed. As I said before, Geno has evolved beyond his admittedly modest character into being emblematic within the Smash fanbase, and unlike Ridley and K. Rool, he doesn't have much of a legacy to speak of outside of Smash, so I believe he would truly be the ultimate fanservice pick for Smash fans and the reaction would be massive, possibly even greater than Ridley's reception. Of course, there's always the slim chance that Square Enix won't approve of Geno as a fighter for whatever reason (which makes absolutely no sense considering they already approved him for a costume, but whatever), but I just can't see Sakurai passing up the chance to add Geno at this point, even if we "already have enough Mario characters". (I call BS, considering Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise and the face of gaming, so I believe he should be entitled to as many roster slots as he damn well pleases, but I digress.) The circumstances surrounding this game are just lining up too perfectly for him, which is why I'll peg his chances, DLC and all, at...

Chance: 80% (60% for base game, 20% for DLC)

And yeah, maybe I'm biased. Geno is the only character I've ever really wanted in Smash, after all, and the strangest part is, I couldn't really tell you why. The character just has this mysterious allure about him that this doofus just can't explain; maybe it's his design, maybe it's his personality, maybe it's how damn OP he is in Super Mario RPG, I don't know. All I know is, if Geno gets in Smash this time, DLC or otherwise, I will never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.

Want: 100%

Last edited:

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
Dillion

Chance: 5%

His IP really isn’t that popular as it’s usually a digital release only and with limited spots available his chances of getting in looks near impossible.

Want: Abstain

Not familiar with him so I can’t really say.

Geno

He’s popular and that’s about it really.

Cristiano Ronaldo is more deserving than him. Coverstar of FIFA, appeared in more video games then Geno, if Geno gets in, why not Ronaldo?

Seriously though, if Geno gets in then Smash Ultimate will just feel like Smash Crusade or Smash Flash to me roster wise, and that’s something I do not want to happen ever.

Troykv

Smash Master
Ugh... SO MUCH LOWBALLING. It makes a man sad, seeing his favorite character's chances underrated so much by the haters...
I personally think his want score is a bit influenced in how people like to push this character to the throat.

---

I would be happy with any of this characters; but I don't have anything special to say about them. and the new circunstances for them are so random that I'll just abstain this time.

Predictions:

Steve: 19.5%
Chibi-Robo: 13.4%

Nominations:

Leon Kennedy x5

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Abstaining from Dillon, since I don't care about him.

Geno

Chance: 0%
He was only in one game, and that game is 20 years old. It's like if Stanley from Donkey Kong 3 was the new DK rep. There are several characters from that series who are far more iconic and popular that haven't gotten in yet, it makes no sense to pick him over them.

Geno fans are the absolute worst. You know the stuff the Waluigi people were doing last week? Geno fans have been like that non-stop for an entire decade. And unlike Waluigi, it's not a really small group of a really large fanbase; it's a really large group of a really small fanbase. I'm so tired of their bull**** and I'd be pissed if they got their way.

Steve prediction: 20%

Chibi-Robo prediction: 10%

Nominations:
Raiden x10

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Geno fans are the absolute worst. You know the stuff the Waluigi people were doing last week? Geno fans have been like that non-stop for an entire decade. And unlike Waluigi, it's not a really small group of a really large fanbase; it's a really large group of a really small fanbase. I'm so tired of their bull**** and I'd be pissed if they got their way.
I'm not sure which Geno fan sh*t in your cereal, but regardless, I suggest you take a peek in the Geno support thread sometime. For how much people like to call us obnoxious and b*tchy, I like to think we're pretty chill nowadays.
That, or you can just keep hating and throwing ignorant hate zeroes at characters you don't like. Your choice.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We're struggling to get in other advertisements that actually succeeded, let alone him.
The use of the word "other" implies you see Dillon as an "advertisement."

Dillon has been around for six years. How on earth is that an advertisement? What is the supposed threshold? What year do you need to debut in to not be an advertisement?

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Chance: 0%
He was only in one game, and that game is 20 years old. Being really loud and annoying won't change that.
I'm not going to challenge your dislike of the character or the fanbase... but the chance vote isn't the same as the want vote. At least try to be a bit objective in that regard.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I'm not sure which Geno fan **** in your cereal, but regardless, I suggest you take a peek in the Geno support thread sometime. For how much people like to call us obnoxious and b*tchy, I like to think we're pretty chill nowadays.
You're nice to each other, but you're obnoxious toward everyone else. It's the same excuse Melee players use. And speaking of the support thread, the guy who runs it called me a biased hypocrite for not wanting him a couple days ago (though I've already grown tired of you guys long before then). He was also the guy attacking everyone who gave him low scored earlier in the day.

That, or you can just keep hating and throwing hate zeroes at characters you don't like. Your choice.
I didn't give him a 0% for chance because I don't like him (I do like him, btw, I just don't like the people who obsess over him). I gave him a 0% because (like I said) he's only been in one game, and that game is over 20 years old. It's like if Stanley from Donkey Kong 3 was the new DK rep. There are several characters from that series who are far more iconic and popular that haven't gotten in yet, it makes no sense to pick him over them.

I'm not going to challenge your dislike of the character or the fanbase... but the chance vote isn't the same as the want vote. At least try to be a bit objective in that regard.
Fair point, fixed.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Dillon:
Chances: 20%
It makes me sad to say this, but I really don't see him happening. He has three games, but none of them were particularly popular, and not many people know him as a result. Considering the limited amount of Newcomers we have, I don't see Sakurai choosing him over more popular candidates. I noticed a lot of people abstaining from rating him because they don't know anything about him... kinda proves my point sadly. Maybe as DLC? Probably not, but a man can dream.

Want: 100%
Other people may not care about him, but I do. I played the first Rolling Western on a whim after seeing its sequel on a Direct, and I really loved it. It just drew me in. Naturally the sequel did too, and I'm really getting a kick out of Dead Heat Breakers. I'd be so happy to see him in, but I know that it's probably not going to happen. I just hope that he gets to keep his Assist Trophy spot. I really don't want him to get Isaac'd and have his Assist Trophy removed, especially when he's got a new updated look in Dead Heat Breakers. I was thrilled when I saw his Assist Trophy in Smash 4 because I never thought he would be represented in Smash at all, and I'd be happy to see it again here.

And guys, Dillon would NOT be a Sonic clone! He has only one move in common with him, and even then it still works differently. You wouldn't call Lucario a Mewtwo clone just because Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere work similarly would you?

Geno:
Chances: 70% 55%
A bit of an odd pick perhaps for some, but I think he could happen. For one thing, we know he has Sakurai's favor, that's actually pretty big. I could see Sakurai adding him because this may very well be his last chance to add Geno in Smash. And of course, Cloud's inclusion means it might be easier for Sakurai to get to rights for him compared to other games. And like K. Rool, I think his Mii Costume bodes well for him. There is a lot working against him, but considering the fanservice approach Ultimate seems to have, and his history in Smash speculation, I think it could happen.

EDIT: Upon reevaluation, Geno does seem a little less likely to me. That being said, I do believe he is a serious contender for the reasons already stated.

Want: 95%
I like Geno. Super Mario RPG was a game that I really enjoyed as a kid, and Geno always stood out for being rather cool. The music videos made of the Forest Maze really cemented Geno in my head as well. I remember as kid really thinking he would be cool in Smash, but I never really got on board with supporting him in Smash because I didn't think he was going to happen, and there were plenty of characters I would have liked to see more. With Smash Ultimate making his chances seem better than ever, and me really remembering how much I like him, I would really be happy to see him in Smash, even if I want Bandana Dee and K. Rool more. Heck, out of all the likely contenders out there, I'd say that Geno is my third most wanted.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
The use of the word "other" implies you see Dillon as an "advertisement."

Dillon has been around for six years. How on earth is that an advertisement? What is the supposed threshold? What year do you need to debut in to not be an advertisement?
I am referring to his recent release, not his original game. I believe that is the main reason he is being discussed currently.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Geno
Chance: 50%
The name of the game this time is popularity, and Geno has tons of it. It’s a coin toss for me.
Why would Geno be playable instead of Captain Toad
Why would Geno be playable instead of Lara Croft
Why would Geno be playable instead of Crono
Why would Geno be playable instead of King Boo
Why would Geno be playable instead of Kamek
Why would Geno be playable instead of Terra
Why would Geno be playable instead of Erdrick
Why would Geno be playable instead of Fawful
Why would Geno be playable instead of Paper Mario
Why would Rosalina be playable before Daisy?
Why would Mr. Game & Watch be playable before Duck Hunt?
Why would Corrin be playable before Lyn?
Why would X character I don’t like be playable before Y who I like?
Just because, dog. Wario didn’t get in until after Ness, Falcon, the Fire Emblem boys, you name it. That’s a pretty stupid argument.
Want: 90%
Not as big a fan as some people here, but SMRPG is a masterpiece as deserves the recognition.

Dillon
Chance: 25%
He has relevance on his side, but not really the popularity, plus competition from Qbby and Mallo (although not really Mallo, since he isn’t realizable).
Want: 95%
While I never played his games, I like his character, and he desperately needs Smash to level up.

Nominations: Leon KennedyX5
Ayumi TachibanaX5

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Oh, I see that the percentages are meant to be averaged together. Whoops.

Geno:

Chances: 80%

Calling Geno a third party character in the same vein as the others is disingenuous. I gave my explanation in the Newcomer Speculation Thread a few days ago:

"I consider Simon Belmont, Geno, and maybe Banjo Kazooie "soft 3rd party characters." That is, they aren't owned by Nintendo, but they exist exclusively or almost exclusively on Nintendo consoles. In contrast to what you might call "hard 3rd party characters" like Cloud and Snake, both of whom are more tied to the Playstation and have little to do with Nintendo.

Geno's even more extreme in that regard, only appearing in an SNES Mario spinoff and nothing else besides a tiny cameo in the original Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, as well as the Mii Costume in Smash 4. And as I said, I believe that the Mii Costume is a sign that the demand for the character is acknowledged, but of the two Square characters, Cloud was the priority, for obvious reasons. Now that Cloud is done and returning, Geno's time to shine is now."

So acting like Geno being in the game is the same thing as Snake or Cloud or Ryu being in the game is just wrong. In terms of their association with Nintendo, Geno is exclusively, 100% tied to Nintendo, despite the rights being owned by Square. You don't see Geno anywhere else but Nintendo--in Mario games, no less. Meanwhile Snake only appeared in the old noncanon NES games and Twin Snakes on Gamecube, and was otherwise a Playstation icon. Cloud's reputation comes from Final Fantasy VII, which was the biggest Playstation 1 exclusive and part of what took eyes away from Nintendo and put Sony ahead of them for about a decade. Ryu appeared on Street Fighter II's home ports for Super Nintendo, but after that, Street Fighter was mostly present on Sony and Sega consoles. Not quite the same as Geno.

Moving away from the third party label, Geno's been requested a lot since before Brawl, and this support was acknowledged by the Mii costume when Cloud came out. Now that the bridge to Square had been built, Cloud was the priority, obviously, as he's also been a dream pick, but Geno's support wasn't ignored. Now that Cloud is done and back, Geno can get an upgrade from costume to playable character.

And following the pattern of longtime wish fulfillments (Mega Man, Cloud, Daisy, Ridley, etc.), Geno's one of the few characters remaining in that category. Simon Belmont and Banjo Kazooie are other examples, but Geno's even less "third party" than they are.

For these reasons, I consider him one of the most likely newcomers of all.

Want: 50%

Despite that, I've never even played Super Mario RPG or know why people like him so much. He seems like a cool and unique character, and a lot of people really want him, so I'd like to see their desires finally get fulfilled, just as people who've wanted Ridley and Daisy got their wish. I'm still holding out for Dark Samus or Chibi-Robo, but I consider them not nearly as likely as any of my predictions.

Dillon:

Chances: 25%

An odd and kind of obscure character, but he's getting a new 3DS game, so even if fans aren't out in droves pushing him, Nintendo certainly is. They seem to have more faith in him than many of their other characters, and he must be somewhat successful, so it wouldn't be too surprising to see him show up. However, he's not a major fan request compared to Geno or other characters, so it's unlikely he'll get a slot.

Want: 10%

I think he'd seem fun for the weirdness factor alone. A western cowboy armadillo? That's a new one. But beyond that, I have no desire for the character. I'd much rather see other big dreams come true before we return to oddball characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I am referring to his recent release, not his original game. I believe that is the main reason he is being discussed currently.
That's fair. I do think he has more going for him than that though, especially considering that game likely came out too late to matter for the roster.

Dillon
Dark horse pick for sure, IMO. Sakurai made a big deal over his Assist last time and lots of folks seemed to like him.
Want: 90%
Mostly indifferent, but he and Dee are my brother's most wanted newcomers, so he'd be neat.

Geno
Chance: 10%
I think he has an okay shot as far as third parties are concerned. He's been considered before, and the Mii costume may be a foot in the door.
Want: 80%
Give me Cowboy Space Pinocchio.

Nominating Reinhardt trophy x10

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Why would Rosalina be playable before Daisy?
Because Rosalina is the main face of the critically acclaimed Super Mario Galaxy and offered a puppeteer moveset exclusive to her with the help of the Lumas. More than what Daisy could do with Karts and Dice.
Why would Mr. Game & Watch be playable before Duck Hunt?
they both make sense to me, i wouldn't see why one had to be in over the other.
isn't G&W like the first video game character ever? he wasn't really a "character" back then since he didn't have a name IIRC but he's one of the first video game entities, at least.
Why would Corrin be playable before Lyn?
Because Corrin is the main character of the newest Fire Emblem game and could blend her dragon heritage with her swordsmanship to create a never-seen before moveset.
Why would X character I don’t like be playable before Y who I like?
Just because, dog. Wario didn’t get in until after Ness, Falcon, the Fire Emblem boys, you name it. That’s a pretty stupid argument.
Wasn't Wario considered for Melee? And regardless, for SSB64 they used a lot of the same resources to make other characters; Luigi borrowed off of Mario, Jiggles borrowed off of Kirby... Wario couldn't have borrowed off of anyone. And they probably wanted series diversity too instead of 3/12 Mario-verse characters (and it'd be very strange to see Wario without Peach and Bowser...)

He has relevance on his side, but not really the popularity, plus competition from Qbby and Mallo (although not really Mallo, since he isn’t realizable).
I'm really curious about this though, how is Mallo not realizable? I could easily see a terraforming moveset fitting him.

anyways

Geno

Chance: 0% - His only game is from 20 years ago. And in that game he isn't even as important to the story as Mallow. There's still other (more popular and relevant, as well) Mario characters who aren't in. Sakurai mentioned him but obviously there's a reason he isn't already in.

Want: 0% - I never have seen the hype around this guy and I never will. He's a wooden puppet with a cape. Any moveset he could bring, it wouldn't be more original or unique than any other character.

will post thoughts on dillon in another post

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Good lord, today is an extremely decisive day. You got a lot of people giving him double zeros, but you also have people giving him things as high as 80c/100w. Geno's quite a character, isn't he?

Geno

Chance - 30%

Geno is the biggest example of a character riding solely on popularity. He hasn't been relevant in over two decades. Despite that, I still think he has a rather solid shot. Sakurai himself has confirmed that he wants him in as a fighter, Square on board with Smash Ultimate from the get go, and he remains a popular pick for a fighter to this day.

I'm absolutely certain he'll be in the base game in some form, whether it be Mii costume, Assist Trophy, regular Trophy, or playable. But I feel like his extreme lack of relevancy might hold him back a good amount.

Remember, even though Daisy, Inkling, and especially Ridley had some form of popularity from the Smash fanbase, they're also still very relevant in their respective franchises, something Geno can't claim in the slightest.

Want - 45%

I'd be fine with him in, especially if it meant we got remixes of Super Mario RPG music / some classic Final Fantasy music, but it would feel a little weird to have the Mario RPG character be someone from a game decades old, rather than from a franchise still alive and kicking today, like Paper Mario or Fawful from the Mario & Luigi franchise.

Dillon

Chance - 10%

With tight newcomer space this time around, I don't really feel like Dillon would be a very high priority pick. Really, not much else to say here. I think he'll keep his spot as an Assist Trophy, and if he can make the jump from 3DS to Switch in the coming years, I think he'll have a much better shot in Smash 6.

Want - 40%

The idea of a cowboy armadillo sounds rad as hell, but he's not really someone I'd be interested in seeing, especially with how tight newcomer spots are this time around.

Last edited:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Good lord, today is an extremely decisive day. You got a lot of people giving him double zeros, but you also have people giving him things as high as 80c/100w. Geno's quite a character, isn't he?
He's just a fun character to discuss. Everyone and their dog seems to have an opinion on Geno. Plus the circumstances regarding him are really interesting in a way not many other characters can boast, if any.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sakurai mentioned him but obviously there's a reason he isn't already in.
And that reason was heavily implied to be licensing issues, an obstacle which is largely behind Geno with his parent company in on Smash and even approving his addition as a Mii Fighter. Simply put, if they approved him for a Mii costume last game, why would they veto him as a unique fighter? That is why people think he has a chance, and a strong one at that.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
And that reason was heavily implied to be licensing issues, an obstacle which is largely behind Geno with his parent company in on Smash and even approving his addition as a Mii Fighter. Simply put, if they approved him for a Mii costume last game, why would they veto him as a unique fighter? That is why people think he has a chance, and a strong one at that.
They already stated that newcomers will be scarce in this game. Why devote resources (enough to make a unique fighter, at that) to adding a niche character who hasn't had a game in 20 years and comes from the same series as Captain Toad and Paper Mario? He wouldn't be any more unique than Toad or PM. All he has is a larger fanbase, which isn't saying much considering that the majority of people who would go out and buy the game wouldn't be able to recognize Geno, but they would be able to recognize other Mario characters.

D

Deleted member

Geno - F (0%)

I'm sorry to say this but Geno is not happening. He was on the disproven Imgur leak that had him and Mallow as a duo and Sora. Masked Man, a translator for Square Enix, slipped that he knew characters that were not in the game. Be honest, why would he not be referring to Geno as one of these characters?

Add in his total obscurity and a lack of any merits outside of fan demand and what we get is a probable return to Mii Costumes and nothing more. Sakurai's statement saying he wanted Geno implies he tried to get him in as playable but could not. There are Mario characters more likely than him, there are Square Enix characters more likely than him, and there are certainly fan requested characters more likely than him.

Want B (75%)

I enjoyed Super Mario RPG and Geno as a character. It would be a nice surprise to have and he's one of the few characters I want that's not in yet.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
They already stated that newcomers will be scarce in this game. Why devote resources (enough to make a unique fighter, at that) to adding a niche character who hasn't had a game in 20 years and comes from the same series as Captain Toad and Paper Mario? He wouldn't be any more unique than Toad or PM. All he has is a larger fanbase, which isn't saying much considering that the majority of people who would go out and buy the game wouldn't be able to recognize Geno, but they would be able to recognize other Mario characters.
I've already explained this in my massive wall of text I posted up above, but to put it briefly, this Smash is clearly intended to be a love letter to the fans for a myriad of reasons even based on what little of the game we've already seen, and to completely ignore the longest-standing character request bar Ridley at this point would simply be wrong considering that vision. Then there's the matter that Sakurai himself has personally wanted to include Geno for 13 years and finally has the means to do it... I could go on.
I'm sorry to say this but Geno is not happening. He was on the disproven Imgur leak that had him and Mallow as a duo and Sora.
Sorry, but this proves nothing other than that someone made a ****ty, fake leak. I considered that leak dead in the water from its conception anyway.
Masked Man, a translator for Square Enix, slipped that he knew characters that were not in the game. Be honest, why would he not be referring to Geno as one of these characters?
Interesting... mind linking me to a source on that so I can see exactly what it was he said? Because depending on the guy's wording, it may or may not be time to call it quits.
Add in his total obscurity and a lack of any merits outside of fan demand and what we get is a probable return to Mii Costumes and nothing more. Sakurai's statement saying he wanted Geno implies he tried to get him in as playable but could not.
Back in Smash 4, yes. For all we know, Ultimate's roster wasn't even finalized yet considering the project planning had only even started around the time the Geno costume was released. I doubt that statement was meant to imply that Geno's never happening.
There are Mario characters more likely than him, there are Square Enix characters more likely than him, and there are certainly fan requested characters more likely than him.
Arguably, not really, and I guess, but that doesn't really mean much.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess I'll join in just for this one.

Geno

I don't think he's likely at all. But I can't give him a 0. Sakurai acknowledged him. However, that was after he made the project plan. Sakurai wanting to include Geno doesn't mean he'll make it in. It just means he considered Geno and one point, but didn't include him for obvious reasons.

Even if Sakurai wanted to add Geno, I don't think Square would go for it. Why would they allow a character they don't care about to be in Smash, when they can try and get someone else who'd be a bigger deal in instead?

Want: 25%

I never saw the appeal of Geno. I guess he'd be ok, but he's not something I want to see when other, vastly more important characters could potentially get in over him.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I've already explained this in my massive wall of text I posted up above, but to put it briefly, this Smash is clearly intended to be a love letter to the fans for a myriad of reasons even based on what little of the game we've already seen, and to completely ignore the longest-standing character request bar Ridley at this point would simply be wrong considering that vision. Then there's the matter that Sakurai himself has personally wanted to include Geno for 13 years and finally has the means to do it... I could go on.
They can write a love letter to the fans without bending over backwards for them and doing everything the fanbase wants. Ridley and Daisy, characters you mentioned as evidence to support SSBU being a love letter to the fans, both have one thing Geno doesn't; relevance. And until he gets that (which I honestly don't ever see it happening), I don't think he stands any chance for Smash. If Sakurai wanted him to be in, he'd be in; but he likely isn't due to his lack of relevance and importance in the Mario series and competition with other Mario characters.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
They can write a love letter to the fans without bending over backwards for them and doing everything the fanbase wants. Ridley and Daisy, characters you mentioned as evidence to support SSBU being a love letter to the fans, both have one thing Geno doesn't; relevance. And until he gets that (which I honestly don't ever see it happening), I don't think he stands any chance for Smash. If Sakurai wanted him to be in, he'd be in; but he likely isn't due to his lack of relevance and importance in the Mario series and competition with other Mario characters.
Relevance didn't stop Pit or Ice Climbers from getting into Smash.

Or, more recently, Duck Hunt Duo.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Geno

Chance: 30% (<-22%)
It's difficult to measure Geno by the same rules as other characters. Normally, being a one-shot character from a one-shot spin-off game is a death sentence for most candidates, but Geno has two weird advantages going for him, advantages that aren't tied to either the quality or the history of his game.

One: Sakurai wishes it. This is a power that gets people like Roy and Palutena into the game. People would mash out 100% chance ratings for almost anyone else if Sakurai personally mentioned them by name as a desired newcomer. Two, Geno has been on the discussion table for almost as long as Ridley has, an expected candidate in every speculation season. When the upcoming iteration is centered on Smash Bros itself, then having a storied history with the Smash community suddenly becomes a significant asset.

Geno only ever had one real logistical problem, one that seems to be absent for once. Square Enix is finally onboard from the project's get-go, with Cloud already standing comfortably in the roster. I question whether he'd even really count as a third-party inclusion on the same caliber as the others, considering that he's still essentially a Mario character.

At day's end, Geno has both everything going for his chances, and everything going against him. All the recommendations and circumstances are aligned for him - Square Enix's collaboration, Smash's focus on its own history, Sakurai's attention, and the lack of most other Mario newcomers to consider. But despite this long road, he still has to contend with being a one-shot side character. Either Sakurai indulges in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for his personal wish pick, or he stays reasonable and picks out a Mario newcomer that's still alive and well.

Want: 25% (<-4%)
I still have no special attachments, nor real understanding of why the Geno fandom really exists. But at this point, Geno would just be Sakurai's way of treating himself, and I'd be fine with that.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Relevance didn't stop Pit or Ice Climbers from getting into Smash.

Or, more recently, Duck Hunt Duo.
aren't ice climbers and duck hunt retro characters lol

I wouldn't consider Geno to be a retro character.

Pit, you have a case. But I'd say he's the exception, not the rule.

D

Deleted member

Interesting... mind linking me to a source on that so I can see exactly what it was he said? Because depending on the guy's wording, it may or may not be time to call it quits.
http://is2.4chan.org/v/1528440328616.png

I really would not get your hope up for Geno. People rating him 50% or above need to reevaluate how they perceive Geno's chances.

Pack your bags and figure out how to push for Geno as DLC or next game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zema

Smash Journeyman

Why are Retro characters any different? Ice Climbers came out in 1985 and Melee came out in 2002, a 17 year gap. Kid Icarus came out in 1986. When does SMRPG get counted as Retro since it's relatively older than Ice Climbers if we're going by playable characters? 22 years and counting.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dillon

Decently popular new(ish) IP with a third game coming out recently and no sign of slowing down, very popular Assist Trophy, suspiciously missing. Lots of people like him. Can offer something new with turret gameplay and tunneling mechanics alongside rolling around like Sonic.

Want: 70%
Sure why not? I like Dillon enough and three games is nothing to sniff at.

Geno
URGH. GENO. URGH. OKAY. Prepare yourselves (:ultike:) for a long ass rant. This ain't gonna be pretty and probably the most volatile rant I've ever done on a character. Try not to get upset. I'll spoiler it in case you want to avoid.

****. Geno. Genuinely **** this little insignificant puppet.

Okay, let's dial it back, that's clearly a very strong way to feel about any character so I'll try and breakdown why Geno irritates me so as a Smash character suggestion.

I have no doubt Geno is popular for legit reasons(to an extent), but so is Medli from the Legend of Zelda Wind Waker yet no one is vying for her despite her ability to offer unique gameplay and fulfill a fan favourite niche. Vivian is an incredibly popular Paper Mario partner, yet there's absolutely no outcry for him/her.
My favourite Pokemon is Alakazam, a Pokemon who is actually pretty damn popular amongst the Pokemon fanbase and yet I see absolutely no support for Alakazam and nor will I ever support him for Smash. I barely ever see any support for Gengar who is even more popular than my spoon bending psychic fave.

Why is that?

Because overall they're not important to their franchises.
Yes, SMRPG has it's fans, but Geno is so ridiculously low on the scale of signifance to the Mario universe it's frankly insulting to entertain the idea of him getting in before the far more important Toad/Captain Toad(and if you're going to argue Geno is more important to the Mario series than Toad you're ****ing delusional pal), the superior RPG series of Paper Mario, or even a character who makes frequent appearences in spinoffs like Waluigi.

So what sets Geno apart from say Goombella, Vivian or even fellow SMRPG partner Mallow in terms of Smash support?

Sakurai mentioning he liked him.

That's it.
That's all it took to take Geno from a literal "who?" on the level of Goombella to suddenly being seen as the next viable Mario related candidate after WARIO in Brawl. Notice Mallow, a character with an actual character arc in SMRPG with genuine development gets precisely zero backing. Because he wasn't mentioned.

So what has said Sakurai said he likes about Geno in particular? His arm has a gun and he thinks that'd be fun for Smash.

Well...we've got that already with far more popular and iconic characters with actual significance in their series; :ultsamus::ultmegaman: and even :ultmiifighters::4miigun: kind of renders that entire character archetype moot.

Geno meanwhile has not once been brought back into a Mario game outside a single cameo in Superstar saga(which at the time, NGL I was excited by) which was removed in the remake of said game. We have Pom Pom playable in Super Mario Party, and literally no one cares about her, yet Geno, an apparently popular character constantly gets overlooked and removed.

We could have had him in the Mario Sports Mix, which let's be real would have been PERFECT as it was made with a collaboration of Square and Nintendo. We even got Square characters! Oh man, to see Geno and Mallow slamming hoops next to the main Mario cast would have been incredible...but wait! We didn't get that. We got five Final Fantasy characters and a Dragon Quest character. That's six possible slots Square could have used for Geno and yet not a single SMRPG character was probably even discussed.

Square don't care about Geno. And Nintendo don't either. Sakurai is the only person who seems to, and he's the Geno's fans lifeline to maybe somehow getting Geno to reappear in a future Mario title.
I can understand their frustration, but given that absolutely perfect game to include both Geno and Mallow and it didn't happen, why should Geno be chosen to represent Mario in Smash over literally any other Mario character who's done something in the past twenty years?
Captain Toad? Has his own game, it sold well, Toads are the literal face of the Mushroom Kingdom and yet no playable Toads.
Paper Mario? RPG character who has had several super successful games over the past decade and is chock filled with unique gameplay and creativity.
Waluigi? Certainly has a fanbase, and is at least THE Mario Sports spinoff character at this point.

His Mii outfit was great. Hell I was excited by him being a Mii outfit for Gunner. But that's all he should be until the fans convince Nintendo to buy his rights and put him in some actual Mario titles again, even if it's spinoff sports games or cameos in more RPGs(rather than removing him) before I can see Geno as anything but a slap in the face to fans of Toad, fans of Paper Mario and fans of Waluigi(of which he does have some, I refuse to believe Waluigi's entire fanbase is based off of memes).

Want: 0% but I'd be in negative numbers if possible.
As a fan of Captain Toad, Waluigi and Paper Mario I think this is the one inclusion that would genuinely **** me off enough to not buy the game if he's chosen over all of them.
Especially at this stage. If he made more appearances in the future in spinoffs, the RPGs or the main Mario series games I'd be signifcantly less disgusted by the idea of his inclusion but as it is, he's nothing more than an overblown meme from a game which is honestly overrated. Better Mario RPGs have come since, better RPGs existed before, and considerably better third party and Mario series character options are available.

Chance: 50%
That said, irritatingly, I can see Sakurai saying **** it and adding who he wants if this is truly his last Smash game regardless of whether or not they're the Mario series equivalent of adding in Ricky the Kangaroo for a Zelda rep over Impa, Tingle, Midna, Ganon etc.

Nomination: Slippy Toad X 5.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Why are Retro characters any different? Ice Climbers came out in 1985 and Melee came out in 2002, a 17 year gap. Kid Icarus came out in 1986. When does SMRPG get counted as Retro since it's relatively older than Ice Climbers if we're going by playable characters? 22 years and counting.
The difference is that Geno wouldn't introduce a new universe into Smash (Ice Climbers, Pit, and all the other retros) or reflect on Nintendo's history (G&W, Duck Hunt, R.O.B.)

Geno would just be there.

And even without his irrelevance, he still has competition within his series.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

So they don't count just because... they're special. Alrighty then.
But even if retros somehow don't count for some reason, then in that case, what are Pit, Little Mac, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Captain Falcon, either of the Earthbound boys, Lucario, most of the Gen 1 reps other than Pikachu, Sheik, Dr. Mario, Star Fox as a franchise, most of the Fire Emblem cast at this point, or Wii Fit Trainer still doing here? Even if you look strictly at when they were added, most of these characters shouldn't have been added in the first place if relevancy is truly a requisite for admission.
Relevancy is not the end-all-be-all we think it is, folks. I suggest we all get that idea out of our heads.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Dillon

Chance: 7%. Not too popular though he has a few games plus an assist trophy appearance.
Want: 50%. Has a lot of moveset potential and I think he'd be a very unique fighter.

Geno

Chance: 10%. Highly requested especially in the Brawl days and even got a Smash 4 costume. His time of relevance is over though since he only appeared in one spin-off game over 20 years ago.
Want: 0%. I loved Super Mario RPG though I have zero interest in Geno.

Top Bottom