• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Amaterasu
Chance: 10%
Of all Capcom characters that aren't Jill, Leon, Phoenix or Dante, Amaterasu is one of those with the best chances. That said, it's hard for me to envision Ammy getting in before those three series, unless Sakurai really favors her for whatever reason.

She's one of those "possible, just not now" picks imo.

Want: 50%
Very little Okami experience, but she was one of my favorite characters in UMvC3. There are lots of things she could bring to Smash, but that said, she isn't in my top 10, maybe not even in my top 20 if you count Spirits and ATs, so I can't give her too high of a Want score.

Predictions
Zhao Yun: 2.35%

Nominations
League of Legends rep x 5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
A dog with a brush.

Chance: 45%. She's decently popular everywhere, has solid movesets to be incorporated and stand out, and she's got what it takes to prove worthy for a spot. However, many other series have arguably a stronger claim, like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, or even Ace Attorney having candidates that stand out on top, to say nothing of Dante who she shares the most similarities in terms of gameplay.

Want: 70%. Amaterasu's game is a freaking masterpiece. Both when Chuggaaconroy introduced me to it through his let's play all the way back in 2011 (and 2010, technically, when that teaser aired.), and when I got to try it out for myself on PS3 in 2012. Can't reccomend it enough. But I've got other fish to get through, so for now it isn't that high.

Arle x 5. Zhao Yun... I've got the feeling he's got 3.21% on his way.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Of all Capcom characters that aren't Jill, Leon, Phoenix or Dante, Amaterasu is one of those with the best chances. That said, it's hard for me to envision Ammy getting in before those three series, unless Sakurai really favors her for whatever reason.
That reminds me that while Sakurai doesn't decide the list, he does decide which character in that list gets in. So if he were presented with a list of Capcom reps, he could be picking Amaterasu if her potential really speaks to him, more than that of the other candidates.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That reminds me that while Sakurai doesn't decide the list, he does decide which character in that list gets in. So if he were presented with a list of Capcom reps, he could be picking Amaterasu if her potential really speaks to him, more than that of the other candidates.
I mean... yeah, he could, but that's pretty much the only way Ammy would steal the show from all of Capcom's frontrunners.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I mean... yeah, he could, but that's pretty much the only way Ammy would steal the show from all of Capcom's frontrunners.
Haha, pretty much. Unless Capcom has some grand plans for the series, and/or deciding the others don't need the extra publicity.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Amaterasu

Chance: 20%
She hasn't been talked about in a lot of smash discussion and aside from Okami HD on the switch, there really isn't much reason to put her in over other Capcom reps.

Want: 100%
Granted I'm a new fan of the series having only played it on Switch, but Amaterasu is definitely one of my favorite characters. She'd also have interesting moveset potential with her celestial brush.

Nom: Grass Starter x5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Haha, pretty much. Unless Capcom has some grand plans for the series, and/or deciding the others don't need the extra publicity.
I think it would come down to being a combination of both factors, in truth.

Don't get me wrong, though, if you were to remove these three series from contention (and Monster Hunter due to the base game boss), I do think Amaterasu's chances would be better. Problem is... well, her chances are entirely dependent on that imo, which is not good for her.

Still a better situation than Klonoa, though...

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Ammy
Chance: 5%
While she does have a decently sized Smash fanbase, the franchise itself is pretty small. Especially when compared to series like Resident Evil, DMC, and even Ace Attorney. But hey, at least Okami is better off than God Hand.
Want: N/A
I need to play this game, too.

Zaho or however you spell it prediction: 3.7%
Noms: Ryu Hayabusa x5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Doggoterasu

Chance: 20%
It’s not just stiff competition that Amaterasu has to worry about. The trend of the Fighters Pass has largely been for yet-unrepresented factions in the game industry, and Capcom’s relatively spoiled in comparison to others. Sure, Okami actually came from the defunct Clover Studio, but the people who made up that studio went on and formed Platinum Games - you know, a group that already got a character into Smash. Combine that with a relative lack of historicity, and, well, what does a niche PS2 title bring to the Smash hall of fame?

With Nintendo primarily calling the shots, it’s hard to see how Amaterasu could sneak into the DLC. Okami’s cult following is a relatively small base that has happily seen its beloved game ported time and time again to wherever they might be - they arrived when the Wii port happened and the DS (semi)sequel came, so they’ve been in the Nintendo bubble for a good while now. Not an ideal audience for Nintendo to want to rope in.

Amaterasu’s strengths lie in her unrivaled moveset potential and devoted following, both which made her a fairly present speculation candidate even before Capcom ever had a single character. It’s the kind of love that gets characters like Joker and Banjo into Smash before all others; then again, those two don’t have nearly as many competitors within company lines alone.

Want: 75%
While I’d rather see historical value and inclusivity reign in these picks, I can’t deny that Amaterasu’s one of the few candidates I’d be emotionally invested in seeing. Okami was a great yet underappreciated game, and precisely the kind of game that I’d love to see Smash exult someday.

Nominations:
Kratos Thrall x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Zhao Yun from Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors.

Predict Kratos from God of War.

Day will end tomorrow night.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Dynasty Warriors Gunda.......oh wait not the same.....

Yeah I'm abstaining on Zhao Yun. Never played any of the Dynasty Warrior games except games inspired by it like Dynasty Warriors Gundam. Yes that is a thing. Still, I barely know anything about the series itself or its history or impact.

Noms: Geno x5

Predictions: Kratos - 2% (oh boooiiii would a Sony character break the internet)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs to get into the Zhao Yun mood:

Abstaining completely since I know nothing about his series aside from playing Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Kratos chance prediction: 3.35%

Nominations:
Quote x5

D

Deleted member

Some songs to get into the Zhao Yun mood:
Hey where's Arena :v

I'll get to my ratings soon. I have a lot to think about for how to write this stuff down, but if any of you have been following me on the Speculation thread, don't be surprised with how I rate today :)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
[Funny joke goes here]

I mean, I guess we could get a Dynasty Warriors character, though maybe not considering they're historical characters. While Smash has had no problem including real life individuals (sometimes - other times they don't include Napoleon even as a Spirit to represent his game) and public domain characters, we've yet to see one playable. Also Dynasty Warriors competes with Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden, both formidable competitors.

Want:
I'll abstain, I played one or two Dynasty Warriors games back in the day and I had my fun, and I did play one of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and loved it, but I have very little attachment to the DW characters. Though I feel like it definitely would have earned its inclusion given its status as the creator of the musou and influence throughout the industry.

Noms: Prince of Persia x5
Kratos prediction: 0.2%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I gotta say, I am inspired by how nobody has called Zhao the two deadly words yet. Here's hoping it stays that way, but man is this a nothing response if I've ever seen one. I wonder if anyone aside from me and Velveeta will even rate the guy?

Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) x147
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x145
Blaze the Cat x135
Ninten x120
9-Volt x120
Rundas x115
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x110
Concept: Valve rep x110

150 - 101

Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Prince of Persia x100
Boss: Kracko x95
Concept: Any grass-type starter x86
Frogger x85
Glover x85
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x85
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x80
The Horrible Goose (Untitled Goose Game) x80
Concept: League of Legends rep x80
Proto Man x75
Sol Badguy x70
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Riesz (Mana) x65
Papyrus x56
Thrall (Warcraft) x55
[Rerate] Steve x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Reporter & Wrestler x50
Concept: No more stages beyond the Pass x50
[Rerate] Sora x50
Ryo Hazuki x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x45
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x45
[Rerate] Geno x40
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
[Rerate] Heihachi x35
Concept: First-parties after the Fighter Pass x30
Akira Howard x30
[Rerate] Dante x27
[Rerate] Quote x27

Under 25

Earthworm Jim x24
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x15
Francis York Morgan x15
Chun-Li x11
Giygas x10
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x10
King Boo x10
Sackboy x10
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x10
Urbosa x9
[Rerate] Monokuma x9
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo of K. Rool x7
[Rerate] Tetromino x5
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5
Black Shadow x5
Rival Pokémon Trainer x5

Arle Nadja and Valve rep both surpass Protector, taking him off the top seven. They remain tied for seventh place.

Thrall and Steve cross the 50 nom mark.

Quote shoots his way out of the under 25 club.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Zhao

Chance 0 - So let's start with the positives here. There is history on Nintendo here(which I don't really think is a deciding factor like a lot of people do, but it helps). It's produced by Tecmo who has recently added content to Smash but doesn't have a playable character and the series is long running. So why am I giving him a 0? Because as we're starting to see in this thread, nobody has any clue who Zhao is. I didn't before this but I'm trying to not abstain unless I know for sure I won't have time to do any research. If we're arguing base roster I could bump things up a little bit but for DLC name value becomes a lot more important. This is also kinda weird because it appears Zhao was also a former ruler of China under the Zhao Dynasty, which may or may not make him 4th party depending on the rule. Not sure what it would be for a situation like this. For the love of god I hope I'm not wrong about that because otherwise I just made myself look like a massive idiot.

Want 0 - Pretty much the same as above. I'm more willing to take characters I don't know in the base roster because it's the base roster. I'm buying the game anyways unless it's one of the biggest disasters ever. DLC gets a bit more complicated and while I will probably buy whoever comes out I feel a lot less good about buying someone I had no clue existed until today.

Predict Kratos - .85%

Noms
League of Legends rep x 5

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Zhao Yun

Zhao Yun has been considered the mascot of the Dynasty Warriors series so he's pretty much has a shot as a Dynasty Warriors rep. Dynasty Warriors has been a long-running series for Koei Tecmo and it does have Nintendo releases. However, Zhao Yun still has fierce competition with Ryu Hayabusa for the spot as a Koei Tecmo rep. Also, this is a character based on a real life historical figure so I'm not sure if Nintendo would want that (Saber is also based on a historical figure but at least they can get away with it since in her own series, she was never referred to her real name).

Want: 25%
I have played a little bit of Dynasty Warriors and I must say, I like Zhao Yun...a little bit. While he could bring something new to the table since he's a lance user, but for a Dynasty Warriors rep, I pretty much prefer someone like Lu Bu instead.

Prediction:
Kratos - 2.29%

Nomination:
Ryo Hazuki x5

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Zhao Yun

Chance: 0%
If Dynasty Warriors were to have a rep, I'm not sure they'd pick someone from a certain faction. Favouritism tends to be shunned in such cases. Same issue with Fire Emblem Three Houses. So the only Dynasty Warriors character I could see as a rep is Lu Bu - who is even more popular and well-known anyway.

Want: 0%
No real attachment to the guy. If he were a collection of characters as alts, then I'd rate him higher... but it'd also make every DW play exactly the same. Just like in the actual games!!

Predictions: Kratos - 6%
Fairly certain a majority will vote him low due to being a PS rep, while a few others will free themselves of the seemingly fan-made rule.

Nominations: Riesz x5

Edit: forgot to mention that Dynasty Warriors has to fight Sengoku Basara for a rep, which has had some impact in Japan, as well as other better known Warriors titles (like Hyrule Warriors with Lana), ironically enough.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Zhao Yun

Chance: 6%
Dynasty Warriors is a classic franchise dating back to the Playstation 1. It has had many games released and so many spin-offs made. There are even Nintendo spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors. Zhao is the mascot character used to represent the Dynasty Warriors franchise, he is even preferred by the developers over Liu Bei. So if a character from Dynasty Warriors comes it is most likely going to be Zhao Yun. The main problem? It is facing heavy competition from Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. It is no secret that negotiations for Ryu Hayabusa in Smash DLC were leaked by some insiders, it's not confirmed yet, but it doesn't really bode well for a Dynasty Warriors rep in Smash. There's also the matter of these characters being based on real life figures, but I'm not sure how much this could affect their chances.

Want: 45%
I've only played a little bit of Dynasty Warriors back during the PS2 era and I'm not invested in the characters that much. But still, I can appreciate the impact that Dynasty Warriors had on the industry and how it created the Musou genre. It's an inclusion that I can understand the reasoning for. Maybe it might happen one day.

Prediction: Kratos 3.3%
Nomination: Steve x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Zhao Yun

Chance: 5%. His chance is low, due to constant competition, like against other PlayStation characters. That does not mean it's not impossible, just a very low chance.

Want: 50%. He would be fun to play as, with some unique soundtracks. There is not much else to say about that.

Noms: 2 for Rival Pokémon Trainer and 3 for Giygas

SKX31

Smash Master
Setting the records in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Zhao Yun):

Chance: Around 5 %

I'll delve a bit more into the history stuff with the first two paragraphs, being a armchair and amateur historian myself.

While I've been pessimistic about including real, historical characters in the past, Dynasty Warriors presents a weird case. On one hand Nintendo is no stranger to Romance of the Three Kingdoms (14th century novel) - which DW is based on - and Romance is an extremely important Chinese novel, comparable to Shakespeare when it comes to influence and the Illiad / Odyssey in terms of set up (AFAIK without gods, but the comparision remains). If DW was based on Records of the Three Kingdoms* (3rd century text, annontated during the 5th century by another author) - which Romance draws from amongst other stuff - there'd be many more issues. On the other hand, the Qing Dynasty (18th Century) historian Zhang Xuecheng called Romance "seven-parts fact and three-parts fiction." so even if Dynasty Warriors is a further fictionalization of ROTK those thorny questions remain. I'm invoking a long gone historian here because Romance is very much tied to Chinese history and folklore, to the point that what is based on real events and what's fictional was already talked and debated about back then.

That doesn't mean Zhao or his DW counterparts don't stand a real chance though - one can certainly make the argument that being a video game based on a novel means there's enough separation from the actual wars fought 1750-1800 years ago (The actual Three Kingdoms period was 220-280 AD, although the Han Dynasty's power began to break down around 190 AD). Jomosensual Jomosensual 's argument is also valid here, that despite the fictionalizations Zhao's still based on a real person and could be excluded depending on the rule.

DW as a game series itself does have a slew of merits. It's one of the most famous example of a hack-and-slash franchise. Its influence doesn't limit itself to the Zelda nor the Fire Emblem Warriors spin-offs, but it's saying a lot when Nintendo are fully willing to commit big-time IPs to Koei for those spinoffs. Its combo system in general lends itself to a Smash fighter pretty well. . Also, this series is very well known and even has the teasing (in a loving way) nickname of "lawnmower game" in China, an area Nintendo's fully aiming to get into with the Switch release there next year.

The biggest problem Zhao or his fellow DW characters, such as Lu Bu, have is that they have aformentioned competition. Hayabusa is Koei's frontrunner, and DoA is not that far behind. If I were a betting man I'd put DW as an outlier for Koei's first Smash spot, but a very real chance should Koei get a second character or a chance in Smash 6.

Want: 50 %

Intrigued by the character and DW in general, hasn't had that much experience with the game. Not much else to say there really.

Nominations: Concept: Valve rep x5
Predictions: Kratos 4,1%

Also, before I end the post:

This is also kinda weird because it appears Zhao was also a former ruler of China under the Zhao Dynasty, which may or may not make him 4th party depending on the rule. Not sure what it would be for a situation like this. For the love of god I hope I'm not wrong about that because otherwise I just made myself look like a massive idiot.
If I may be a bit nitpicky:

AFAIK the real Zhao Yun (the Zhao Yun in ROTK and DW) was a general, not a ruler. He did serve Liu Bei for twenty years, and died in 229 - early on in the Three Kingdoms period. There's quite a bit recorded of his years as a general, but apparently the information about him is still limited. However, both Records' author and Liu Bei's son would honor Zhao Yun. So even if Romance is exaggerating, it's clear Romance (and Dynasty Warriors) is building on some real and major accomplishments.

While there are two kingdoms using the name Zhao, both of them existed long after Zhao Yun's life. Under another tumultous period - the Sixteen Kingdoms (the 300s, not long after the Three Kingdoms). The 200s-ca. 600 weren't exactly the most stable time in China.

*(Sidenote and further reading: I'll link to this discussion on ancient texts if you wanna delve into Records of the Three Kingdoms,. Specifically the "Bias in ancient sources" and "Using Ancient Sources" sections. AskHistorians is the only subreddit I can actually recommend because of the quality and moderation. Keep in mind, again, that Romance is a work with at least significant fictional elements, and Romance influenced DW deeply. )

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain on Zhao. I, like many other people apparently, have never heard of him.

Nominations: Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x5

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Zhao Yun
Chance 15%:while not exactly impossible,Zhao has competition with other Koei Tecmo characters Ryu Hayabusa and Kasumi and the fact he's based off a historical figure doesn't help.
Want 30%:Zhao would be interesting since he's a spear user witch is something I haven't seen in smash bros so why not.
Predictions:Kratos 5%
Noms:Kasumi X5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Another member of the "I've never heard of this guy" club.

Therefore, Want will be an abstain. The only Warriors games I've played or intend to are licensed spinoffs of Fire Emblem and Persona. Never played a real Dynasty game, and frankly, I've got plenty others to try out. Dynasty Warriors is pretty low on my "to play" list.

But this is an objective rating, so let's do chance. It's like 1%, I'd say. He's a little too close to a real person, not in the sense of a realistic design but somebody existed on this blue marble with that name and face. Not to mention that he's fighting freaking Ryu Hayabusa, which makes a world of difference. Lastly, his fan demand is pretty low all things considered. Overall, I don't see a reason to count on this guy short of Verge says he's in or he shows up in a video leak.

Arle x 5. Now that I'm back in top 7 it's time for me to get this gravy train going. Kratos probably won't break 0%, more specifically 0.75%. I think a lot of 0%'s are headed his way.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Probably does the rl historian figure way more justice than fate
Chance: 1%
When it comes to a Koei Tecmo representative I don't think this guy would be on top of the totem pole. DW is a succesful series to my knowledge but I still think Hayabusa or Kasumi from DOA are likelier than him. (he also has competition from someone else within his own series, apparently?)

Nothing personal but I'd rather not. You can call me biased or ignorant but I'd personally prefer characters I actually know. I know what Dynasty warriors is but I still had to Google this dude. Perhaps DW isn't known for its iconic characters? I know nothing about this guy except that he's a spear user from what people here are saying. There's one spear wielder I want in Smash and it certainly isn't Zhao.

Kratos: 3.11%
First party characters after the Fighters pass x5

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm gonna omega abstain because I personally don't have anything to say... I was actually shocked to see a character that is actually a real life individual to appear in this thread.

So yeah... Abstain everything.

Predictions:

Kratos: 3.1%

Nominations:

Ryu Hayabusa x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Before I start, it's kinda weird seeing people calling him by just Zhao since most of the characters in Dynasty Warriors are rarely called by their first/last name (the only instances that I can recall where they are called by their first/last name were with Sima Shi, Sima Zhao, and Lu Lingqi). I can see Zhao Yun having his full name in Smash because he's never called by Zhao or Yun. While most of the characters with full names that are currently in Smash are often called by their first name, Zhao Yun's always called by his full name and is about 2 syllables long, so I think he'll be the first human character with a full name in Smash.
-----------------
This dude saved his lord's baby son from thousands of Wei soldiers and Liu Bei threw said son on the floor to show how much he valued Zhao Yun over his own kin (but that never happens on Dynasty Warriors itself for obvious reasons).

Chance: 70%

Oh ho, I know most of you think that I'm overrating his chances for a lot of reasons like that 1 guy who gave Geno a 100% rating that 1 time, but I'm confident that Dynasty Warriors will be in Smash whether if it's FP5 or after. While it is an adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise, and the characters in those games are Omega-Force (main developers of the Musou series)'s interpretation of those characters. What makes them different to the likes of Batman is the that the characters are public domain and aren't held under some sort of legal issues as far as I know. Perhaps the main question for Zhao Yun is why him before a lot of other characters like Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi, or even the other characters from the Musou titles themselves like Lu Bu, Yukimura Sanada, and Nobunaga Oda, so here's my answers:

• Zhao Yun is the poster boy of the series much like how Scorpion is for Mortal Kombat and Tracer for Overwatch. He's made the most appearances on various Musou cover arts and has been present in most of the openings throughout the series. According to the Koei wikia page, Zhao Yun is the main face of Dynasty Warriors because Omega-Force thought an officer from Shu would best fit as their ideal warrior, and he happened to be the best candidate because of the novel's portrayal of him. Hell, he's even got a 7UP sponsorship.
  • We all know about Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo's current business relationship. From Takamaru being a guest character in Samurai Warriors 3 exclusively on the Wii to Fire Emblem: Three Houses being co-developed by them (also Three Houses' story honestly seems a bit inspired by ROTK so yeah), they've got a pretty strong relationship with Nintendo.
  • The Musou franchise from the mainline Dynasty Warriors games to the spinoff titles to the licensed games is the largest franchise Koei-Tecmo owns, which is even bigger than Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive currently is sales wise.
  • Unlike Touhou Project [apparently], a lot of Musou games get localized for western audiences, and while a handful of them don't have english voice acting, it does shows that they at least have an audience outside of Japan even if translations aren't too accurate.

I also have a few hypothetical reasons for why Sakurai might consider Zhao Yun and Dynasty Warriors as well.

• Ultimate's roster size is the biggest it's ever been, and outside of Warriors Orochi 3 and 4, Dynasty Warriors has 1 of the largest rosters in all of Musou. Sakurai could actually choose that series to be in Smash for that reason, whether if he thinks it fits or felt inspired by the large cast of characters that have their own unique movesets Pre-Dynasty Warriors 9.
  • Zhao Yun wields a spear. Sakurai might favor him in that aspect because of having a unique weapon unlike anyone currently in Smash.

Now, let's talk about the what if scenario. Let's say Ryu Hayabusa or Kasumi are indeed the first characters from Koei-Tecmo to get in Smash. Would that mean Koei-Tecmo getting a rep in Smash is a 1 and done deal and the chances for Zhao Yun or any Musou character immediately disperse to thin air? Absolutely not. Before the merger, Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive were IPs under Tecmo, and Dynasty Warriors was an IP under Koei. We know there's more DLC characters coming after the Fighter Pass as well, and it is completely possible that there'll be another Square Enix-like inclusion where 1 franchise represents 1 side of the company and 1 franchise represents the other.

I don't really have a lot to talk about when it comes to why he might not be in Smash because I don't consider the lack of fan demand, a bad installment, and being based on his real life counterpart as valid reasons for why Zhao Yun can't be in Smash. The main thing that comes to mind in that case is if Nintendo and Sakurai decide to choose a different Musou-related character for Smash because of how many characters there are. I'm not really expecting that to happen since Zhao Yun is the poster boy of the Dynasty Warriors and 1 of the most popular Dynasty Warriors characters in Japan, but I'm also going to say it's possible for a different character to rep the Musou series like Guan Yu, Lu Bu, Yukimura Sanada, Lana from Hyrule Warriors, etc. I guess you could also say Vergeben talking about negotiations for Ryu Hayabusa in Smash possibly being leaked implies Dynasty Warriors wasn't considered at all, but that doesn't really mean anything since we have no idea how the full process works. For all we know, negotiations for Hayabusa could've happened sometime after negotiations for Zhao Yun.

As for a hypothetical reason against Dynasty Warriors, Sakurai might find the series "too big" to include to Smash, and I don't mean by Ridley's size or being a franchise that's financially larger than Smash (even though that'll never be the case anyways). What I mean is there's so much content in Dynasty Warriors to pull from for Smash that it might not be feasible for Sakurai to comprehend DLC since all the characters in the Fighter Pass currently have around 10 spirits and tracks each. From having a roster as big as Ultimate's to the hundreds of OSTs to choose from, it's possible Sakurai might just find the series too overwhelming to include because he can't fit enough content that he'd be pleased with. Of course, this is hypothetical, so what I just said may actually be complete nonsense, which I hope it is.

You wanna know something crazy? Zhao Yun isn't my favorite Dynasty Warriors character. He isn't even my favorite character from the Shu kingdom (which fyi it's Xingcai cause she looks awesome), so why is it that he happens to currently be my most wanted character to the point that he even surpassed Ryu Hayabusa in that spot?

I have a huge soft spot for the Musou series because of how unique and different it is to a ****load of games even within the hack n slash genre. Like, how is it that a series about brushing though waves of enemies easily with a set of combos manage to spawn 8 mainline Dynasty Warriors games, 4 mainline Samurai Warriors games, and a ****load of spinoffs for nearly 2 decades? That's legit crazy to think about, and to see this franchise in Smash is something I really want to see because of how unexpected it would be. Wherever you look, everyone seems to be so adamant that Ryu Hayabusa would be the only Koei-Tecmo rep because it just makes the most sense: NES legacy, Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo's relationship, Team Ninja developing the most Nintendo published games, etc. I'm really surprised they would disregard or not bring up Dynasty Warriors and Musou in its entirety when it's currently Koei-Tecmo's biggest franchise. Just thinking about it, it's almost the reverse Banjo-Kazooie. Dynasty Warriors has more entries than Banjo-Kazooie and is still considerably relevant outside of Smash, yet there's hardly anyone thinking that Dynasty Warriors will be in Smash nor are there that many people hoping for it to happen (and I don't think the reason is because they don't want to see it but rather they just haven't thought about it). I'd give almost anyone from Dynasty Warriors a 100% want rating because that's how much I really want to see this franchise get added to Smash, but I've been sticking with Zhao Yun the most because he's the most likely candidate to rep the series, and his moveset in Dynasty Warriors looks cool and is appealing for me to want to see him in Smash.

Another thing to note is that Dynasty Warriors was the first form of Three Kingdoms media I've ever seen. I never knew the games were set from Chinese history because I never really payed attention to that kind of stuff when I was younger, and it wasn't like school at the time was teaching me that stuff anyways. There are people that would be pretty miffed about a Dynasty Warriors character in Smash because apparently being a character that has a real life counterpart is bad even though Dr Kawashima is in Smash as an Assist Trophy, and in case you couldn't tell, I'm not 1 of those people. I think it'd be incredibly special to see it happen because Zhao Yun is a character where he's a video game version of their real life counterpart but doesn't open a can of worms for non-video game characters to be in Smash like Goku or Batman. It's funny to think that a game that's essentially lawnmowing made me learn more about history than actual lawn work does even if most of the events that occur in the games aren't accurate to history.

The last thing I'll mention is how great the music is throughout the games. I know it's virtually impossible for Sari to post every single BGM, but I implore you to give the music a listen.

Overall, I really hope Zhao Yun's in Smash, especially in Fighter Pack 5. He's 1 the most predictable Dynasty Warriors characters for Smash but also 1 of the least predictable characters in general when compared to the likes of Hayabusa, Crash, Leon, Dante, to an extent Geno, and so on. I can't even imagine how I'd feel about Smash Bros x Dynasty Warriors for me to explain what I'd do to see him in action.
-----------------
Predictions:
Kratos - 0.67%
-----------------

Noms:
Francis York Morgan x5

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Before I start, it's kinda weird seeing people calling him by just Zhao since most of the characters in Dynasty Warriors are rarely called by their first/last name (the only instances that I can recall where they are called by their first/last name were with Sima Shi, Sima Zhao, and Lu Lingqi). I can see Zhao Yun having his full name in Smash because he's never called by Zhao or Yun. While most of the characters with full names that are currently in Smash are often called by their first name, Zhao Yun's always called by his full name and is about 2 syllables long, so I think he'll be the first human character with a full name in Smash.
-----------------
This dude saved his lord's baby son from thousands of Wei soldiers and Liu Bei threw said son on the floor to show how much he valued Zhao Yun over his own kin (but that never happens on Dynasty Warriors itself for obvious reasons).

Oh ho, I know most of you think that I'm overrating his chances for a lot of reasons like that 1 guy who gave Geno a 100% rating that 1 time, but I'm confident that Dynasty Warriors will be in Smash whether if it's FP5 or after. While it is an adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise, and the characters in those games are Omega-Force (main developers of the Musou series)'s interpretation of those characters. What makes them different to the likes of Batman is the that the characters are public domain and aren't held under some sort of legal issues as far as I know. Perhaps the main question for Zhao Yun is why him before a lot of other characters like Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi, or even the other characters from the Musou titles themselves like Lu Bu, Yukimura Sanada, and Nobunaga Oda, so here's my answers:

• Zhao Yun is the poster boy of the series much like how Scorpion is for Mortal Kombat and Tracer for Overwatch. He's made the most appearances on various Musou cover arts and has been present in most of the openings throughout the series. According to the Koei wikia page, Zhao Yun is the main face of Dynasty Warriors because Omega-Force thought an officer from Shu would best fit as their ideal warrior, and he happened to be the best candidate because of the novel's portrayal of him. Hell, he's even got a 7UP sponsorship.
  • We all know about Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo's current business relationship. From Takamaru being a guest character in Samurai Warriors 3 exclusively on the Wii to Fire Emblem: Three Houses being co-developed by them (also Three Houses' story honestly seems a bit inspired by ROTK so yeah), they've got a pretty strong relationship with Nintendo.
  • The Musou franchise from the mainline Dynasty Warriors games to the spinoff titles to the licensed games is the largest franchise Koei-Tecmo owns, which is even bigger than Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive currently is sales wise.
  • Unlike Touhou Project [apparently], a lot of Musou games get localized for western audiences, and while a handful of them don't have english voice acting, it does shows that they at least have an audience outside of Japan even if translations aren't too accurate.

I also have a few hypothetical reasons for why Sakurai might consider Zhao Yun and Dynasty Warriors as well.

• Ultimate's roster size is the biggest it's ever been, and outside of Warriors Orochi 3 and 4, Dynasty Warriors has 1 of the largest rosters in all of Musou. Sakurai could actually choose that series to be in Smash for that reason, whether if he thinks it fits or felt inspired by the large cast of characters that have their own unique movesets Pre-Dynasty Warriors 9.
  • Zhao Yun wields a spear. Sakurai might favor him in that aspect because of having a unique weapon unlike anyone currently in Smash.

Now, let's talk about the what if scenario. Let's say Ryu Hayabusa or Kasumi are indeed the first characters from Koei-Tecmo to get in Smash. Would that mean Koei-Tecmo getting a rep in Smash is a 1 and done deal and the chances for Zhao Yun or any Musou character immediately disperse to thin air? Absolutely not. Before the merger, Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive were IPs under Tecmo, and Dynasty Warriors was an IP under Koei. We know there's more DLC characters coming after the Fighter Pass as well, and it is completely possible that there'll be another Square Enix-like inclusion where 1 franchise represents 1 side of the company and 1 franchise represents the other.

I don't really have a lot to talk about when it comes to why he might not be in Smash because I don't consider the lack of fan demand, a bad installment, and being based on his real life counterpart as valid reasons for why Zhao Yun can't be in Smash. The main thing that comes to mind in that case is if Nintendo and Sakurai decide to choose a different Musou-related character for Smash because of how many characters there are. I'm not really expecting that to happen since Zhao Yun is the poster boy of the Dynasty Warriors and 1 of the most popular Dynasty Warriors characters in Japan, but I'm also going to say it's possible for a different character to rep the Musou series like Guan Yu, Lu Bu, Yukimura Sanada, Lana from Hyrule Warriors, etc. I guess you could also say Vergeben talking about negotiations for Ryu Hayabusa in Smash possibly being leaked implies Dynasty Warriors wasn't considered at all, but that doesn't really mean anything since we have no idea how the full process works. For all we know, negotiations for Hayabusa could've happened sometime after negotiations for Zhao Yun.

As for a hypothetical reason against Dynasty Warriors, Sakurai might find the series "too big" to include to Smash, and I don't mean by Ridley's size or being a franchise that's financially larger than Smash (even though that'll never be the case anyways). What I mean is there's so much content in Dynasty Warriors to pull from for Smash that it might not be feasible for Sakurai to comprehend DLC since all the characters in the Fighter Pass currently have around 10 spirits and tracks each. From having a roster as big as Ultimate's to the hundreds of OSTs to choose from, it's possible Sakurai might just find the series too overwhelming to include because he can't fit enough content that he'd be pleased with. Of course, this is hypothetical, so what I just said may actually be complete nonsense, which I hope it is.

You wanna know something crazy? Zhao Yun isn't my favorite Dynasty Warriors character. He isn't even my favorite character from the Shu kingdom (which fyi it's Xingcai cause she looks awesome), so why is it that he happens to currently be my most wanted character to the point that he even surpassed Ryu Hayabusa in that spot?

I have a huge soft spot for the Musou series because of how unique and different it is to a ****load of games even within the hack n slash genre. Like, how is it that a series about brushing though waves of enemies easily with a set of combos manage to spawn 8 mainline Dynasty Warriors games, 4 mainline Samurai Warriors games, and a ****load of spinoffs for nearly 2 decades? That's legit crazy to think about, and to see this franchise in Smash is something I really want to see because of how unexpected it would be. Wherever you look, everyone seems to be so adamant that Ryu Hayabusa would be the only Koei-Tecmo rep because it just makes the most sense: NES legacy, Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo's relationship, Team Ninja developing the most Nintendo published games, etc. I'm really surprised they would disregard or not bring up Dynasty Warriors and Musou in its entirety when it's currently Koei-Tecmo's biggest franchise. Just thinking about it, it's almost the reverse Banjo-Kazooie. Dynasty Warriors has more entries than Banjo-Kazooie and is still considerably relevant outside of Smash, yet there's hardly anyone thinking that Dynasty Warriors will be in Smash nor are there that many people hoping for it to happen (and I don't think the reason is because they don't want to see it but rather they just haven't thought about it). I'd give almost anyone from Dynasty Warriors a 100% want rating because that's how much I really want to see this franchise get added to Smash, but I've been sticking with Zhao Yun the most because he's the most likely candidate to rep the series, and his moveset in Dynasty Warriors looks cool and is appealing for me to want to see him in Smash.

Another thing to note is that Dynasty Warriors was the first form of Three Kingdoms media I've ever seen. I never knew the games were set from Chinese history because I never really payed attention to that kind of stuff when I was younger, and it wasn't like school at the time was teaching me that stuff anyways. There are people that would be pretty miffed about a Dynasty Warriors character in Smash because apparently being a character that has a real life counterpart is bad even though Dr Kawashima is in Smash as an Assist Trophy, and in case you couldn't tell, I'm not 1 of those people. I think it'd be incredibly special to see it happen because Zhao Yun is a character where he's a video game version of their real life counterpart but doesn't open a can of worms for non-video game characters to be in Smash like Goku or Batman. It's funny to think that a game that's essentially lawnmowing made me learn more about history than actual lawn work does even if most of the events that occur in the games aren't accurate to history.

The last thing I'll mention is how great the music is throughout the games. I know it's virtually impossible for Sari to post every single BGM, but I implore you to give the music a listen.

Overall, I really hope Zhao Yun's in Smash, especially in Fighter Pack 5. He's 1 the most predictable Dynasty Warriors characters for Smash but also 1 of the least predictable characters in general when compared to the likes of Hayabusa, Crash, Leon, Dante, to an extent Geno, and so on. I can't even imagine how I'd feel about Smash Bros x Dynasty Warriors for me to explain what I'd do to see him in action.
-----------------
Predictions:
Kratos - 0.67%
-----------------

Noms:
Francis York Morgan x5
You give a 70% chance and the only reason why Dynasty Warriors would get in over Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive is sales numbers? Color me disappointed, I expected more.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
-----------------

-----------------
Predictions:
Kratos - 0.67%
-----------------

Noms:
Francis York Morgan x5
I'm surprised Zhao Yun'd be considered the "face" of the franchise when clearly so many more people know Lu Bu than Zhao Yun. I've actually played a Dynasty Warriors game or two and I couldn't even remember his name or who he was. Lu Bu though? The mightiest man alive? The guy you know you'll die to if you dare challenge him? The untrustworthy ******* who will switch sides like he changes his manly shirts? The "Do not pursue Lu Bu!" boi himself? Now that's a face people know and love! He even beat everyone else in the popularity poll. Lu Bu's simply not good protagonist material is all, but I'll be damned if that's not a name people recognise more than Zhao Yun, as pretty boy he might be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For the record, I rushed this through because the day was most likely going to be over tomorrow. I forgot to bring up Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors and didn't mention those games being signs that Nintendo has shown interest with the Musou formula before, perhaps interested enough to put the very game that created the formula in Smash because of the history both in and out of the games. At least we know Koei-Tecmo are willing to port other Warriors games on the Switch like WO4 and Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends, though that probably isn't too significant for some.

I'm surprised Zhao Yun'd be considered the "face" of the franchise when clearly so many more people know Lu Bu than Zhao Yun. I've actually played a Dynasty Warriors game or two and I couldn't even remember his name or who he was. Lu Bu though? The mightiest man alive? The guy you know you'll die to if you dare challenge him? The untrustworthy ******* who will switch sides like he changes his manly shirts? The "Do not pursue Lu Bu!" boi himself? Now that's a face people know and love! He even beat everyone else in the popularity poll. Lu Bu's simply not good protagonist material is all, but I'll be damned if that's not a name people recognise more than Zhao Yun, as pretty boy he might be.
You aren't wrong about Lu Bu. He is indeed the most recognizable Dynasty Warriors character and is probably 2nd to most appearances on the cover arts. In fact, that wiki page even says Zhao Yun shares the same sort of spotlight as Lu Bu, and they both appeared in Warriors All Stars as well. I just think the poster boy would be chosen over the icon because Zhao Yun appears to be 1 of the most marketable characters for Koei-Tecmo, at least in Japan that is cause he seems to be pretty popular over there given he's usually somewhere in the top 5 on popularity polls like this 1 from 2017.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Kratos from God of War.

Predict Micaiah from Fire Emblem.

TCT~Phantom should be back soon so this will probably be my last day doing this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some songs to get into the Kratos/God of War mood:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Dad Of Boy
Chance: 0%
Gonna repeat/copy and paste what I said on Ellie's day.
There's one important thing that prevents Kratos from even thinking of being in Smash Bros:
He's owned by Sony.
That alone should be enough explanation right there, but some people might give scores higher than 0%, so I guess I'll explain further. Some people seem to think that because we got Banjo, a Sony character is just as possible. However, people seem to forget that MS and Sony work in completely different ways. While MS has almost completely abandoned the concept of an exclusive in recent years, Sony holds on to all their first party games and even buys exclusivity rights to third party gamex/content because they so far ahead of the competition that no one can stop them. Sony putting any of their content in a Nintendo exclusive makes no sense and I don't know why people think it's even slightly possible.
I prefer to focus my want on characters that might actually happen.

Irrelevant FE character prediction: 2%
Noms: Ryu Hayabusa x5

D

Deleted member

Well it's that time huh. Time for Mr. Sony himself.

Chance: 10%
Yeah Sony is the big roadblock holding Kratos back I think. Sony was never the one to be friendly towards their competition and they don't seem to want to change that stance now or within the near future unlike Microsoft who has become very friendly towards Nintendo to the point of inclusion within Smash Bros Sony doesn't seem to want that nor really need that.

If they were in talks though I could really see Sony wanting to push Kratos if Sakurai agrees to that or not I do not know but I feel like Sony themselves would push either Kratos or Nathan Drake and I feel like Sakurai would see more in Kratos than Nathan Drake but as I said I don't know as I'm just as in the dark as the rest of you.

But yeah I don't see Sony warming up to the idea of playing nice to Sakurai or Nintendo as a whole and they don't really need to anyways as they could just as easily make a PSBR2 than get a Smash Bros inclusion and it would be more profitable to do the former rather than the latter.

Want: 70%
That said boy would I love it if Kratos actually happened not for myself mind you as I don't have much experience with the God of War franchise but rather for the Internet to explode with cheering and applause. I think Kratos would be fun and an interesting character given that Sakurai made the "impossible" possible with getting a ****ing SONY character in the game alongside him working his magic.

If we managed to get Kratos in Smash not only would the internet explode but that would mean we can finally do those "Nintendo vs Sega vs Microsoft vs Sony" battles people only dreamed of doing and that would be great. Bonus points if we managed to get Master Chief before or afterwards.

Prediction: Micaiah 5%

Nomination: Concept: First parties after the pass x5

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
God of War from The Legend of Kratos

Chance: 3%
Obviously being a Sony character hurts a lot... but I'd like to think the console wars are starting to get behind us now. Even if not, that Sony would consider the additional publicity, especially if it can make more people learn of Playstation Allstars. Who knows, maybe there'll be a sequel yet?
As for who he is and why he'd get in, I think I'll let others do the recap for those who may not know him yet. His games are really my style, so I'm not that familiar with them. I'll just say his games being gore may further hurt his chances.

Want: 20%
Like I said, I'm not too familiar with the series... but familiar enough to know about the character and how he can fight. While I don't care too much about the man himself, his fighting style would be an interesting addition.

Predictions: Micaiah - 3%
I don't think many people will vote for her inclusion. Many FE characters already, a new one would need to be really special, unfortunately for her.

Nominations: Riesz x5

Top Bottom