• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Waluigi

Chance - 30%

Waluigi has two things going for him.
  • His appearances in as an Assist Trophy in Smash and how it's become somewhat of a running gag / meme
  • The fact that he's basically just a living meme in and of itself
I think he's easily considered the face of the Assist Trophy item, and Sakurai and friends are well aware of this. I think this both works for and against Waluigi, because it makes him somewhat of a Smash Brothers-icon, but it also makes it kind of weird if the "King of Assist Trophies" were to graduate into a playable character. Who would take his place? The Nintendog? Starfy?

There's also the fact that his entire character is just one big joke. He's such a nonsensical and worthless character in the Mario franchise that he's gathered such a huge fanbase because of it. Nintendo knows this. Sakurai and friends know this. He has a whole ton of popularity surrounding him, and I really can't tell if its ironic or not.

However, the fact that he IS such a complete joke of a character also works against him. He's never really been anything more than "spinoff filler," along the likes of Daisy and the Yoshi Island babies, aside from his costume appearing in Super Mario Odyssey. Hell, and even then, at least Daisy and the Yoshi Island babies can say they've actually appeared in a Mario platformer before instead of just being "the guy who came from the spinoffs and never amounted to anything else." However, I believe his general huge amounts of popularity and position as such a meme give him somewhat of a shot. I'd still say he's outclassed by Captain Toad as far as new Mario characters go, though.

Want - 80%

Like I said earlier, Waluigi is such a worthless and pathetic joke of a character that it just kind of makes you want him in anyway. But it's that worthlessness that makes him who he is. If he was an actual character, who the hell would want him? Here's a good writeup about it:
Waluigi is the ultimate example of the individual shaped by the signifier. Waluigi is a man seen only in mirror images; lost in a hall of mirrors he is a reflection of a reflection of a reflection. You start with Mario – the wholesome all Italian plumbing superman, you reflect him to create Luigi – the same thing but slightly less. You invert Mario to create Wario – Mario turned septic and libertarian – then you reflect the inversion in the reflection: you create a being who can only exist in reference to others. Waluigi is the true nowhere man, without the other characters he reflects, inverts and parodies he has no reason to exist. Waluigi’s identity only comes from what and who he isn’t – without a wider frame of reference he is nothing. He is not his own man. In a world where our identities are shaped by our warped relationships to brands and commerce we are all Waluigi.
Anyway, I feel like he would represent the Mario Kart / Party / Sports games incredibly well, because that is he was invented to do, and there's a surprising lack of that in Smash already. Hell, he could just have a moveset based around cheating and just breaking the game and I'd still be down. I feel like Waluigi would be a really hard character to mess up in terms of moveset. Although, I despise his fanmade Brawl / Project M moveset. This one. It feels so sluggish, and none of his specials are very satisfactory.

Nominations:
Anna (Fire Emblem, I presume) x5

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Waluigi Chance - 35%: It's pretty much between him, Captain Toad, and Paper Mario, and there's even a shot of multiple characters appearing. Waluigi embodies the Mario spin offs much moreso than Daisy, and Sakurai has made it clear he's aware of his popularity. Waluigi is far, far more known than most of the embarrassing newcomers in Smash 4, whether or not people like him.

Waluigi Want - 100%: He has more personality than the Mario cast regardless of being relegated to spin offs. Certainly more likable in his role than Wario, who's become nothing more than an outlet for infantile gross out humor lately.

Predict Chibi Robo 10%

Nominate Blue Bowser x5

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Waluigi
Chance: 15%
Same as I gave Daisy. They're equal as far as sports/party representation, and both are pretty irrelevant otherwise. I personally think Captain Toad will be the only newcomer for Mario if there even are any.

Want: 0%
I am still on the Waluigi hate bandwagon and have no desire to get off.

Prediction for Chibi Robo: 11%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex), Impa, Mipha x2, Neku x2

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Waluigi

Chance- 50%
Extremely popular character, but after being relegated to an AT role twice, it's hard to say what will happen. Nintendo does sorta know what's the deal with Waluigi if only for memetic purposes such as the Waluigi amiibo. But Sakurai's not a fan for some reason.
Want- 100%
Why wouldn't I want God in Smash.

Nominations- Ryu Hayabusa x5

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Waluigi

Chance: 33% - First, let's look at Waluigi's positives: He's first party, so no negotiations involved. He has boatloads of popularity, whether it's due to his memetic nature or otherwise. He's definitely consistent in appearances to that point that a Mario sports title that doesn't feature him, like Mario Kart 7, is considered an oddity. He's definitely still relevant, as he's headed to the tennis courts in Aces later this year, with a new outfit and hairstyle to boot. He's got plenty of odd, eclectic moveset potential like teleporting, air swimming, tennis rackets, and thorn vines to draw from. So he checks a vast majority of the boxes for Smash consideration. Then what's the holdup? He's not done anything wrong, right?

I mean... he's not really done anything is the issue. Waluigi's purpose within the Mario franchise is really just to pad out roster space in spinoffs and to be the funny weirdo one. He's not got his own spinoff series, he's not appeared in a mainline Mario title (outside of an Odyssey costume), and he's not done anything of note even within the spinoff games. The most important Waluigi's ever been to a Mario game was being the one who kickstarted the plot of Mario DDR. Yeah, the Mario dancing game everyone forgot about is Waluigi's biggest claim to fame. He's not important at all. He couldn't even get into his own brother's TWO spinoff series. Seriously, why hasn't he done that yet

So why do I still feel like he has a one in three shot? Two reasons. Firstly, he's crazy popular, especially amongst the casual crowd. Memes of the guy get passed around the internet like wildfire, and people love to laugh at his weird and crazy antics. Nintendo's definitely getting into it themselves too, placing bigger and bigger emphasis on Waluigi's ridiculousness in spinoffs. Secondly, Rosalina happened, which, to me, was a considerable lowering of the bar for Mario entrants. Sure, she had a cool moveset concept, but at the time of her Smash entry, her biggest role was as Mario's glorified taxi driver in Mario Galaxy 1. Sure she got 3D World later, but that game came out well after the period of time in which she'd have been decided on for Smash, and she only became a spinoff regular herself later.

Yes, a glorified taxi driver is still more claim to fame than Waluigi can boast, but his popularity may push him over the edge. Sakurai's aware of the requests for him as well, as both of his Assist Trophy appearances have come with Sakurai teasing fans about his playability. As the field of potential newcomers narrows with each iteration, Waluigi's chances only increase, and I think this game is the first time he's got a legitimate shot to make it. He's certainly got competition from the likes of Daisy, Paper Mario, and especially Captain Toad, but I think he's got certain legs up on each of them. Daisy is much less popular, whether it's due to her being less meme-worth or otherwise, and while she does have moves of her own, she has a very very similar bodytype to Peach, so she'd likely end up being a clone or an alt. Sakurai made Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone, so he'd absolutely do the same to her without even flinching. Waluigi, on the other hand, has like, the opposite bodytype to Wario, so no clone potential there. Paper Mario's franchise quality has been dropping like a stone with no end in sight, and he'd be a third Mario. Captain Toad is in the best position, but Toad is very much a controversial character akin to Tingle, with as many haters as supporters, something Waluigi doesn't deal with as much. I still think the Captain is the best shot, but Waluigi is right behind him in my mind.

Want: 69% - I had to for the meme character, c'mon. He's my go-to guy in Mario spinoffs, he'd have a fun wacky moveset, and it'd let us have a Mario Bros. vs Wario Bros. fight in Smash. If he does make it though, please let him be counted as a Wario character and not a Mario one. I know it doesn't technically make sense as he's not part of either of Wario's series, but it'd just feel wrong for him to have the Mario Mushroom icon while his brother gets the W they both have in their name. Or just merge Wario back into the Mario side, whichever works. Just keep the brothers together, ok?

Wow, who'd have thought I'd have so much to write about Waluigi of all characters. Huh.

Predictions

Chibi-Robo: 21.12% - Poor guy's had a rough time of it. While he's had two entries in his series since the last Smash, which isn't something most other candidates can boast, neither was really a big hit. The latter of the two sold poorly enough that it might well have killed his franchise for good. Which is understandable considering it has the WORST level selection process of all time. I'm expecting his reception to be pretty mixed tomorrow, but two new games coming out during the Smash roster decision sweet spot is nothing to sniff at.

Nominations

Dark Matter Blade x 5

Almost there baybee.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Waluigi
Chance 25%
He's popular and recurring. I do think he'll get into Smash Bros one day, but he faces a lot of competition and is just a spin-off character
Want 45%
WAAAAHH

nominate
Skull Kid x3
Parabo and Satebo x1
Lara Croft x1

Troykv

Smash Master
WAAAAAluigi!

Okay... What I did say about Waluigi and Daisy some days ago...

She is in a... Interesting position... Daisy and Waluigi are the characters that personality wise represent the best the kind of feel the Mario Sports Games; been both members of the Mario Cast of playable characters already makes them iconic and without a doubt that can help them.

Compared with Waluigi, Daisy has a better resumé as a playable character (or a character in general) than Waluigi; in exchange Waluigi is the overall most popular character and had become more meme worthy in the last years compared with Daisy.
Oh yeah, this.

Well, Waluigi has his own advantages as previously mentioned... so compared with Daisy's 15% I'll give to Waluigi a slighly higher thanks to being more in Sakurai's eyes... a suitable score for someone quirky like him...

Chance: 16%

WAAAAA

Want: 70%

Daisy is nice but Waluigi is the true meme lord I would like to play as

Prediction time!

Chibi Robo: 16.5% (It's time for another meme lord?)

Nomination time!

Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Male Daisy

Chance: 5%
Want: 75%

Daisy and Waluigi are in the same boat, and I'd like to see either or both of them get in. For all of the Mario movesets we have, we don't have much representing the Mario spinoffs - Kart, Party, Sports, etc. - so that's plenty for either of them. I think I'd marginally prefer Daisy just because one of my favorite things to do is see the princesses fight in their full out ballgowns just because it's funny. My college roommate and I would spend hours doing Zelda/Peach brawls just because of that.

At the very least, make her an alt with her own name and voice clips, but Daisy is canonically not Peach in any way.
Well...that about sums it up. Chance 5%, Want 65%

Now I did notice while I was lurking in the Daisy thread that someone suggested Daisy and WAAA share a slot as alts of one another, and that's not as ridiculous an idea considering they both are tall, skinny, and would rep a spinoff moveset. Meh.

Prediction for ChibiRobo: 21.4%
Nom: Mewtwo x5

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Waluigi

Chance: 75%
There's a ton of support for him, and Sakurai knows it. If any Mario character is getting in, it's him.

Want: 100%
Duh.

Chibi Robo prediction: 30%

Nominations

Funky Kong x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 20%
Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into battle

Want:0%
Look I don't hate Waluigi but I don't feel he should be in Smash. The only thing that makes this guy noteworthy is he's a living meme. And while I enjoy a good meme until Nintendo actually does something with the character then sure put him in. Until that day there are far better choices.

noms Tethu X5

Chibi Robo- 4%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Waluigi

He's popular. That's it. Any moveset is just some hodge-podge of sports game references since he's done literally nothing else. It's not even a coherent concept. He's perfect as an assist, and honestly I might be underrating him because I can only see him as a joke rather than a legitimate contender.

I'd rather not be annoyed by him in Smash too.

Chibi Robo Prediction: 18.53%

Nominations: x5 Elma

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi

Chance: 25%

I genuinely believe in the power of memes.

Prediction for Chibi Robo: 11%

Nominating Mewtwo x5

slambros

Smash Ace
Waluigi

He's an assist trophy mainstay, truth be told. I think that works against him.

He's a good character and a part od my childhood, but for Smash? I'm gonna have to pass.

Predictions:
Chibi Robo - 14%

Nominations:
Skull Kid x5

:171:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Waluigi

Chance: 45%

Sakurai seems pretty adamant about Waluigi being not quite main roster tier, but I think the combined force of the internet is big enough that it'll wear him down somewhat. Still for all, as long as he's in charge, I have a feeling Waluigi's just going to be a meme and nothing more.

Want: 40%

If you look at him as a Mario series character, there's better to pick from with Captain Toad around and finally able to be *the* Toad for a game series like this. If you look at him as a Wario character, we still don't have Captain Syrup (a totally rad, if obscure, female villain who out-greeds Wario of all people), or anyone WarioWare (Ashley/Mona/Jimmy T/9 Volt in that order) and I'd rather one of them first or with Wah himself.

Waluigi only gets this much from me though since I have a lot of friends who'd want to see him in and it'd be pretty cool for their sakes.

Nomination: Lip x 5

Celever

Smash Rookie
Waluigi

Chance: 5%
I don't think Waluigi is feasible for the roster for one main reason: At the time of Super Smash Bros Brawl, Wario appears to have only been roster material because of WarioWare, which is where his design came from, and this was considered a different series to Mario, as he received an entirely new logo. The plumber outfit was just an afterthought, and none of his moves were taken from Mario games, though several from Wario's own platformer series, which is quite reminiscent of Mario. As Wario is quite possibly better known among fans for his appearances in spinoff titles, if Wario's moveset has no such referenes to those titles, it sends a very clear message that the Smash Bros. team thinks that those titles don't really require representation, and they already are kind of covered under Peach's side smash, which cycles through a tennis racket and a gold club, referencing Mario Tennis and Mario Golf to pretty much the extent to which they can be referenced. Mario Kart is the most significant Mario Spinoff series by a metric mile, and if they really want a representative for that series, Lakitu is a much better flag-bearer, and also has Assist Trophy status. Mario Kart is also referenced quite significantly by Bowser Jr.'s Side-B as it is, and even Super Mario Strikers gets an item as reference. These little cameos seem to be sufficient for representing Mario Spin-Off titles as a whole, and so I don't see why they should be changed.

As an overall Mario representative I would rather Paper Mario, though he would likely get his own series, and as a representative for the spin-off titles I would rather a duo of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, as I think they're just as if not more iconic than Waluigi to wider, more casual audiences, as at this point they appear in every title that Waluigi does, and having a duo representing the spin-offs would represent the multiplayer aspect of those games very nicely, which is really the entire reasons for the Mario spin-off games to exist at all.

Prediction Chibi-Robo:
12.4%

Nominations:
Balloon Fighter x3, King Boo x2

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Waluigi
Chance - 40%
The guy has a lot of popularity and does technically have a lot of games under his belt. But like Tingle, it may be difficult for Sakurai to accept the character as deserving enough over the more "cool" kid type additions. i do think him having a working model and popularity could turn out profitable for him.
Want - 50%
I'd rather have Toad get his chance to be honest, but Waluigi does have lots of personality points to be entertaining and interesting. I could see him rubbing it in Toad's face. It'd be Chrom all over again except with Waluigi literally rubbing Toad's face into the ground while laughing.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
Waluigi:

Chance: 32.5%

He’s pretty popular with fans, but apparently Sakurai doesn’t really seem to be fond on him (not sure if this true or not). I would say he’s definitely one of the most likely Mario reps to be in the next Smash, but I wouldn’t say he is the most likely to be in from the Mario reps as he has competition from Captain Toad (I would make him a rep of his own series but still), Paper Mario (same applies to him as well), Geno (unlikely but popular with fans) and Daisy (somehow...).

Want: 5%

In all honesty, I don’t care for his character and I think he fits as a Assist Trophy and shouldn’t be promoted as a playable character in my opinion. I don’t find his moveset potential any exciting either, I believe that it would contain a lot from the spin-off games like Mario Party, Tennis, Kart, etc and I don’t like that, it’s not interesting to me and therefore I believe he should stay in the role that he’s currently in until he’s featured in more important Mario titles (if it ever happens).

Chibi-Robo:

Chance: 35%

Nominations:

Marx x5

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Waluigi: 65%
I honestly always saw Waluigi as the likeliest Mario character, especially now that we got Rosalina and Bowser Jr. It's just a matter of whether we are getting another Mario character or not.

Want: 55%
As I get older, the more sympathy I have for him.

Chibi-Robo prediction: 14.7%

Nominate:
Isabelle x4
Dark Matter x1

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Waluigi

He's popular, a walking meme and has way more potential than someone like Daisy would ever have but Sakurai has already rejected him twice now. Sakurai might also consider Waluigi just ''Spin-off filler'' which he'd rather not want to put up there with the big boys.

Maybe if he did well on the ballot and the fans memed hard enough we might see him someday.

Want: 80%

Just for Vinny's reaction.

Predictions:
Chibi Robo 14.66%

Nominations:
Hades x5

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Want: 80%

Just for Vinny's reaction.
The only reason to want Waluigi in Smash.

Anyway, my ratings! Sad I missed Layton's day.

I believe I made this same argument when it was Lyn's day to be rated, but Sakurai has been content to stick Waluigi in an Assist Trophy role for 2 games now, so while there's a chance he'll change his mind, I can't see our purple pal getting out of that glass prison anytime soon.

Want: 75%

Far from a highly wanted newcomer, but he could be a really zany, fun character, and I think it'd be worth it just to see what Sakurai would do with this weird ************.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Waluigi
chance: 70%
Consistently shows up in games, and is popular. Most mock smash ballots I have seen had him pretty high, even though he already an assist trophy in Smash 4. The only competition is toad and other spin-off characters.

Only argument people bring up is he only appeared in spin off games. I get where that argument is coming from, but never thought it was valid. Mario spin-offs like Mario Kart are significant, that a fan favorite character from them should stand a chance
the only real problem is that he is too big

want: 100%

Him and Wario have the biggest personality in the Mario cast, and Mario spin-offs deserve a their own character.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Waluigi
Chance: 27%
Want: 15%
We have more than enough Mario characters at this point... And until Waluigi appears in an actual Mario or Wario title, It isn't gonna work out.

Nominate: Klonoa X5

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Waluigi:

Chance 30%
Easily recognizable, undoubtedly scored highly in the ballot, and Mario is getting to its last tread of potential newcomers.

He has been an assist trophy for two games. One wonders just like Lyndis and other characters in this position, that they are doomed to remain this way as their way to be represented in Smash Bros. It's not a strong argument against him or others, but that "stigma" remains per say.

Mario seems to get its character based on main game representation as well. One might wonder if Captain Toad/Toad is far more likely based on this fact. I don't think Sakurai feels the sports games aren't represented considering it has Kart stages, trophies and a few tracks.

(On a side note, the three other plumbers appear in the silhouette. All three being confirmed this early makes me wonder if they are plans to introduce him via trailer this way?)

Want - 40%
Like Daisy, I appreciate the character in Mario spin offs but I don't think they are the kind of characters I "must" have in Smash. Everyone in the Mario roster plays a role in the main games and I like it that way, somewhat.

Chibi-Robo prediction: 16.3%

Noms: Black Shadow x3, Phoenix Wright x2

Godbrother11225

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi
chance: 20%

Nobody knows what Sakurai thinks...but Waluigi's supporters don't seem to have an argument outside of hoping that Sakurai agrees with the idea of a "spin off" rep, and will shoehorn moves from beyond mario tennis. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.

Waluigi is nothing more than a skinny wario recolor. that is why he was easily pushed into meme status by a webcomic and Gmod YouTube videos from 2010.

His role is being Wario's accessory in tennis doubles, and doing biellmann spins every time he scores a point. Why should Waluigi be on the css with the other SM reps? This isn't the latest mario multiplayer spin off, there are plenty of other characters to choose.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Waluigi time!

Chance: 60%
Lots of people try to devalue his popularity by saying people only want him for the memes. Question: why the hell does it matter? Popularity is popularity. Deeming which popularity is "legitimate" just makes you seem like a gatekeeping ***hat. "Only real popularity counts." Whatever that means. Waluigi's main competition, as far as I'm concerned, is Captain Toad. Everyone else is either a non-factor like Daisy or would require extraordinarily specific circumstances like Geno.

You better believe I'm giving him 100%. And here's my moveset for anyone who may be on the fence. I tried to bring together all of the notable aspects of his character, namely his love of tennis, dancing, cheating, and himself.

WALUIGI SERVES UP A FIGHT
Normal Attacks:

Jab: A two strike move, where Waluigi takes his tennis racket and does two quick strikes. One from the left, one from the right. Each swing is punctuated with a "Waa."

Dash Attack: Waluigi lunges forward and dives at the opponent with arms outstretched, grabbing for their ankles. This move may cause the foe to trip, as Waluigi takes them to the ground with him, but it relies on good spacing so that Waluigi's arms line up with the foe's legs. A risky move, as it has notable end lag, but it's offset if the foe trips, as they'd need to get up before striking back.

Side Tilt: Waluigi does a soccer-style kick upwards, and pressing side tilt again causes his foot to come back down in an axe kick motion. The first hit is punctuated with a Waa.

Up Tilt: Waluigi points skyward and swings his hip, performing the Disco Finger move. Hitting this move again will have Waluigi withdraw his finger, which has an additional hit box. Up tilts can be chained together for a combo move as Waluigi dances.

Down Tilt: Waluigi crouches down and crosses his arms in front of his chest, extends one of his legs outward and spins while sitting on his other foot. There's a name for this dance move but I don't know what it is, but you bet your bottom dollar Waluigi knows what it is.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Waluigi performs a split in mid air, launching foes that hit his feet completely horizontally, not unlike Jigglypuff's down smash (though obviously far less powerful...Waluigi can only cheat so much).

Forward Air: Waluigi uses his tennis racket and spikes the foe, sending them downward. There's a bit of a startup here as Waluigi aligns his shot, but otherwise it's a fairly standard forward air dunk.

Back Air: Waluigi swings his body around in a three strike maneuver. First he hits with a backhanded racket swing, then his right leg, and finally his left leg.

Up Air: Waluigi pulls a potted Piranha Plant out of hammer space and holds it upward. It chomps three times before Waluigi puts it away, with the third chomp inflicting higher knockback. A three strike move.

Down Air: Cheating physics once again, Waluigi stays right where he is in the air and stomps the "ground" twice, Waa-ing angrily and somehow kicking up a dust cloud. Can be used to stall Waluigi's fall.

Smash Attacks:

Side Smash: Waluigi takes a running start before smashing his racket into the foe, sending them flying. This is Waluigi's best kill move, showcasing his tennis prowess. The longer the move is charged, the further Waluigi runs before striking.

Up Smash: Waluigi pulls out what looks to be a baseball. He then tosses it skyward, not unlike Snake's up smash, where it's revealed the baseball is simply a crudely-painted bomb that Waluigi snuck into the battlefield. It explodes on impact. The charging animation involves Waluigi quietly laughing to himself as he tosses the ball lightly up in the air and catching it.

Down Smash: Waluigi pulls out a small yellow and black remote control with a big red button on it. Upon releasing the move, Waluigi pushes the button, causing the ground on either side of him to blow up. That's right, Waluigi is very thorough in his cheating. He planted remote bombs inside the stage just for this purpose. The charging animation features Waluigi taunting the foe, muttering "I'm gonna press it!" while hovering his finger over the button.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws:

Grab and Pummel: A standard grab, with the pummel involving Waluigi bashing the foe overhead with his racket. Each pummel is punctuated with a Waa.

Forward Throw: Waluigi pulls a full sized cannon out of his pocket, stuffs the foe inside, and fires them away.

Back Throw: Waluigi twirls around and tosses the foe as one would a frisbee, waving at them as they go. "Bye bye, loser!"

Up Throw: Waluigi swims skyward, holding onto the foe, before lobbing them up.

Down Throw: Waluigi leaps onto the foe as both are covered in a cartoony fight cloud. Waluigi emerges victorious as the foe bounces off the ground.

Special Attacks:

Neutral Special: Rally/Zone Shot - If the button is pressed, Waluigi tosses a tennis ball up and whacks it with his racket, sending it hurdling forward. A rally then starts. The opponent is able to knock the ball back at Waluigi, but it returns to him slightly slower than how he launched it. Combined with his near lagless neutral special, Waluigi can send the ball back at blazing speed, and it gains a minor homing effect. This makes it easier for Waluigi to reflect it and harder for the foe to dodge it. Waluigi can hit the ball back at the foe twice (not including the initial serve), but on the third attempt, Waluigi's racket shatters as he stares at it in disbelief, leaving him susceptible for a counter as he pulls a new racket from hammerspace.

Side Special: Fake Item Box - Waluigi pulls out a fake item box from the Mario Kart series and lobs it overhead, letting it land on the stage. It stays there for about the length of one of Diddy Kong's banana peels before disappearing. If an opponent is hit by the box or runs into it while it's on the stage, they get stunned for a bit and take electrical damage, allowing Waluigi to come in for the kill. This move showcases Waluigi's trickery and deception.

Up Special: Air Swim - One of Waluigi's most iconic, and arguably strangest, abilities is his ability to cheat logic and physics themselves and swim through the air. It's an ability he's had since his debut in Mario Tennis, and it makes for the perfect recovery move in Smash. Waluigi propels himself in the direction the control stick is held, being able to perform upward to three strokes. In application, it's somewhat like Greninja's Hydro Pump or Pikachu's Quick Attack. It doesn't go as far, but it causes quite a bit of damage in comparison.

Down Special: Bomb Launcher - Waluigi pulls out a pitching machine and plants it on the stage, which he can then use as a turret of sorts. Pressing the button next to it has Waluigi yell "Fire!" and launch an explosive out of it. As well, while Waluigi is yelling "Fire!" the player can still control the bomb's trajectory mid-flight, referencing Waluigi's penchant for cheating, as well as things like the Liar Ball from the Mario Baseball series, where this sort of illusionist trickery isn't something Waluigi is above.

Final Smash: Whirluigi - Waluigi begins to dance as a spotlight shines on him. Eventually he begins to rapidly spin, putting him in the eye of a massive tornado. The player takes control of this tornado and can move it around the stage, picking up enemies, trapping them, and shooting them outward at the end of the move. Waluigi then stops spinning and strikes a pose.

Special Gimmick: Waluigi Time!
Waluigi's love of cheating is only beaten by Waluigi's love of himself. Boastful and quick to jeer his opponents, Waluigi is known for his flare for the dramatic. As such, Waluigi gets a small boost in power if he taunts after KO-ing an opponent, and a slightly larger boost if he does well enough to warrant a crowd cheer. A smaller gimmick that isn't as noticeable in the heat of battle, not unlike Bowser Jr.'s knockback resistance when hit from below, but it could help in a pinch and fits Waluigi's personality.

Side Taunt: Waluigi poses as he tosses a rose behind him. This actually does damage, as well, for every rose has its thorns.
Up Taunt: Waluigi tosses his head back and raises his arms as he laughs maniacally.
Down Taunt: Waluigi performs his infamous crotch chop.

Predicting a 4.5 for Chibi-Robo
Nominating Henry Fleming x5

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi

Chance 35%

He’s very popular but if he’s still seen as spin off fodder by Nintendo then he might not make it. I guess it depends which way they want to go with him. He’s got some serious competition too, and popularity is a strong factor but not the strongest factor in a character’s favor. The only reason I give him a 0% want is because it seems unfair to me to add him just because he’s popular while other popular characters from other series like say Skull Kid/Midna/Lyn etc get excluded. If he had more to offer than spin off character I’d feel more excited.

Cranky x3
Kamek x2

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Waluigi

Chance: 1%
If he was only worth an AT twice in a row with no significant change to his merits, he's practically a pipe dream.

Want: 62%
Waluigi is around the same level of desire as Daisy, maybe a little higher. Beyond the memes and wah-posting, he's a genuinely appealing character.

Nominations: Arle Nadja ×5

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
WAAAAAAAt a beautiful WAAAAAAA. There must be no other place as pretty as this WAAAAAAA. This feels like an RTC.

WAAAAAAAAAAnt: 100%
Reason why I didn't say anything about Captain Toad, Pauline or Paper Mario? Yeah, I'm not going to hide any bias - Waluigi is my most WAAAAAAnted Mario newcomer.

Chance: 14%
...However when being totally frank, Waluigi may just as likely be delegated to an Assist Trophy role yet again. Waluigi's main boons are that he's a pretty beloved character in the fandom for his zaniness, but at the moment he's got competition from other names like Captain Toad or Paper Mario.

What would probably carry him to playable would be if there was enough demand for it and if they can get a moveset together for him that can draw upon the Mario Spin-off games where Waluigi is in his element.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Waluigi

Chance: 60%

If there's another Mario character there's only really 2 options (aside from a variation of Mario himself): Waluigi and Daisy. I feel like Nintendo gives Waluigi just a bit more screen time, plus they're doing a full effort release of a sport title which is where the characters strength comes from.

Want: 85%

First want that's in my top 10 that I don't give a 100% to, and that's just because if he does get in, despite being my personal preference we probably don't get Daisy who I also like.

Chibi-Robo Prediction: 9.83%

Nominations:
3 x Bomberman
1 x Concept: Advance Wars CO
1 x Spyro

D

Deleted member

:4wario2:'s partner

He'd have better chance if he was also included in the Wario Ware cast.
Or even if he made an appearance in a mainline Mario game.

Not in fond of the character, and all the memes about him rather tend to annoy me than anything.
And I prefer Daisy.

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Chibi-Robo preditction:
16.4%

D

Deleted member

This thread seems very anti-Waluigi today.
Anyway, here's some music.

Chance: 30%
I think he's in a much better position than Daisy. He's really popular, and he was actually achknowledged through an assist trophy (and if Charizard is anything to go by, being an Assist twice doesn't hurt his chance of getting promoted). However, he's still a spin-off character, which hurts his chances.

WAAAAAnt: 100%

But in all seriousness, I genuinely like Waluigi. He's my favorite Mario character.
I'll take him over Daisy any day of the week.

Phoenix Wright x5

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Waluigi chances: 15%
I don't think his situation has really evolved since the era before the last generation of Smash, so I don't think he's really likely. That said he has a famous memetic repuration that makes him popular and recognizable, so I could see Sakurai wanting to promote him. It depends on how much his popularity will help him being prioritized over other characters but ultimately I think the most likely scenario is him remaining as an Assist.

WAAAAANT: 18%
He would be a funny character for sure, but I don't really have a desire to play as him in Smash. I'd rather have the time to make him as a fighter used for another character who I think would add more to Smash, as part of me believes he's fine as an AT.

Chibi-Robo prediction: 10.18%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x5

Last edited:

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
Waluigi

Chances: 60%
There's a ton of Mario characters in Smash already, but if there's another one coming, it'll be him.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnt: 100%
Easily one of my most wanted characters in Smash next to King K. Rool.

Chibi Robo Prediction: 10.5%

Nominations:
Bomberman x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Waluigi:

Chance:
40% - Waluigi is the dark horse of this game, and the most likely Mario newcomer in my opinion. Often times I think this board is a bit detached from the casual crowd's opinions, and from what I've seen on various social media Waluigi is actually very popular, which leads me to believe that he probably did much better in the ballot than any of us would have anticipated. He's a face pretty much everyone who has touched a Mario game recognizes, and although some of his popularity stems from him being a bit of a meme, it doesn't change that he's genuinely popular. I'm not quite ready to say it's a 50/50, but I don't think it's far off either.

Want: 60% - For past games I always thought that he'd be an underwhelming addition, but something about him feels right this time, I'm not actively supporting him, but I think now is a good time for him to be added.

Nominations: Skull Kid x5

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Waluigi
Chance: 35%
He is in a slightly better position than Daisy due to having very different proportions than Wario and he has popularity and uniqueness going for him, but he is still a "spin-off" character, and Sakurai is probably content on keeping him in AT status.

I would love to see either him, Geno, or Captain Toad as the next Mario newcomer. But if it is him, there will definitely be plenty of WALUIGI TIME when I play as him.

x5 to Elma

Smady

Smash Master
Waluigi Chance: 40%
Sakurai's view of Waluigi is that he's a joke and if he's looking for characters to add from Mario, there's the incredibly exciting Captain Toad and Sticker Star Paper Mario. After Smash 4's choices it's obvious Sakurai would go for the corporate picks over a fun character like Waluigi who is popular in the fanbase. If Sakurai has a change of heart and listens to fans, maybe looking at the ballot to see Waluigi's popularity, he'll have a shot. Sakurai has a very, very dumb way of pigeon holing characters though and that is the main barrier here.

The other helping hand for Waluigi is that his set speaks for itself, he's the sports/spin-off guy. He can have tons of props and other fun attacks. His assist trophy makes that clear, even Sakurai realizes that's the case.

One of my most wanted characters easily. I was the OP of the support thread and I've been a fan of Waluigi since I can remember, I was never a hater, he was my go-to guy in all the spin-offs he appeared. You may have argued back in the day he was a tacky character but look at what happened to literally all the Mario characters. Wario is an unfunny disgusting Garbage Pail Kid, Luigi is a cringe self-referential meme (no longer the underdog) and Mario is as bland as ever. Waluigi is the least corrupted of the group. Waluigi is the actual underdog not Luigi.

He should be in, he deserves to be in, his set would be incredibly fun. Just a moveset of stomping and swinging around the racket would be satisfying and we know Waluigi is capable of all sorts. He'd be a main like he always was in the spin-offs from day one.

Eggman x5

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Waluigi

Chance: 20% - Decent popularity behind him, one of the next candidates for a Mario/Wario newcomer. Don't think the ballot would be taken into account with him, since he was an Assist Trophy in the last game.

Want: 100% - Most wanted Mario/Wario newcomer, and would make for an overall great addition.

Nominations: Concept - New Story Mode x5

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi

Chance: 68% - You can argue that Waluigi is pretty minor in terms of importance to the Mario franchise. but really. we're running out of worthwile characters to include form the mushroom kingdom. plus Waluigi has a pretty loyal following. so I'd say he has a pretty decent shot this go around.

WAAAAAAAAH-nt: 95% - I'd definintely be up for seeing him make the jump form assist trophy to full fledged playable character, but only if he leaves the tennis racquet behinf. Why make him a generic sports equiptment themed character when he has SO much potential to be something truly unique and incredibly weird. base him more aorund some of the weird stuff he does in those games for special attacks. creating walls of thorny vines, spinning up tornadoes SWIMMING IN THE AIR! basing him around his weird unique special abilities would make him such a truly weird character. and then sure. you can pad the move set out with some sports equipment, bob-ombs and some dance moves from DDR Mario Mix. but really for me. if I can't swim in the air. Waluigi isn' worth including. which is why i lowered him form a complete 100% WAAAAAH=nt to just 95% because I get the feeling they'd probably focus more on his sports stuff :/

Chibi Robo Prediction: 48%

Nominations
Qbby x5

Top Bottom