• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Marx

Chance: 5%
Don't really see it happening

Want: 10%
He's a villain with a seemingly unique moveset...but I have no investment in the Kirby series so I don't really care that much...

Prediction
Lucina-23.54%
This'll be all over the place I recon

Dark Samus x5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Marx

Chance: 10%
I don't think him appearing as a Dream Friend in Star Allies matters much, but he's technically from Super Star, a game Sakurai usually resorts to for Kirby content.

Want: 5%
Not really. Marx is just there for me.

Nominations
Concept: Marth and Roy get their English VAs x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 10%
He's gotten more of a following since he reappeared in Star Allies but it's too little too late for this Smash

Want: 30%
I don't really care if he makes it.

noms: Tethu X10

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Chance: 15%

Ehh Bandana Dee is much more likely.

Want: 50%

He has a cute design and it was fun fighting him Kirby Super Star

Lucina Prediction: 60.21%

Nominate Stage: New Donk City x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Marx
If we're getting anyone, it's gonna be The Dee.
Want: 35%
I like Marx, but I like Bandana Waddle Dee more.

Lucina prediction: 80%
Tomorrow's gonna be fun.
Noms: Mike Jones x5

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Marx:

Chance:
5% - Maybe as DLC if he gains enough popularity, but I just can't see him getting in at launch, especially not over Bandana Dee.

Want: 40% - I absolutely adore Super Star, so naturally I also have a bit of a soft spot for Marx, but I'd much prefer Bandana Dee or Dark Matter, they're both more important and fit better as playable characters imo.

Nominations:
Geno x5

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Marx

Chance: 7.5%
If Sakurai wanted Marx to be playable he would've been in by now, very little reason to believe that anything would've changed his mind since. Super Star is considered the peak of the franchise by many, and Marx's influence has outlived his major roles as a character, but as his era of prominence grows more and more distant he loses both general familiarity as well as an increasing number of niche justifications for his possible inclusion.

Want: 75%
Star Allies got him down perfect, so to an extent his addition would be redundant. His moveset is essentially set in stone at this point, so it's unlikely he'd play any differently other than having everything translated to work in Smash. By that same token, he'd also be a lot of fun in Smash since said moveset is still a fun one. I don't feel particularly strongly about any one Kirby rep, but I believe Marx would be the most entertaining to have by far.

Nominations: Ray (Custom Robo) x5

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Marx

Chance: 15% - His biggest boost comes from his Star Allies DLC, but at the same time, it likely came MUCH too late for him to really be considered for the base game. He's got a decent shot come DLC if his popularity keeps up, and he's got the dubious distinction of being a Sakurai-made character when most other Kirby options, like Bandana Dee, Dark Matter, and Magolor aren't. I do think we'll see that wall broken down in the base game though with Bandana Dee, at which point I think Marx, Dark Matter and Magolor will likely duke it out for a potential DLC slot if Kirby even gets one. There's also the very real possibility that Kirby just stays as it is and we don't get any newcomer.

Want: 75% - I used to be indifferent to Marx, but the Star Allies DLC definitely got me onboard. I don't want him as much as I do Dark Matter, nor do I think he's as deserving, but I'd be happy to see him join if it was alongside Dark Matter.

Predictions

Lucina: 70% - If anyone's getting cut it's either her or Dark Pit, I feel. I think she's the safer of the two though, even if her game is plenty well repped by Robin.

Nominations

Impa x 5

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Chance: 0%

I DO see the possibility of two Kirby characters.
I DON'T see how Marx could ever get in.

He was important in 1.5 games (counting the remake would make 2.5). The .5 comes from the fact that he is DLC in Star Allies, but this just recently happened, and it's extremely likely than in 2016, Sakurai didn't even know about this, or that it was even planned in the first place.

Marx doesn't even fit in Smash. In his standard form, he's a jester head with two feet riding a ball. What are they even supposed to do with that? In Marx's boss form, he's an overly long bat with a flying situation similar to Ridley. Neither form would fit in Smash.

Bonkers or Bugzzy would honestly have much better chances. Both are much more reoccuring. They were also in Star Allies (before DLC). Most importantly, they have actual limbs.

Want: 0%

When fans first started discussing Marx in Smash, I took it as some kind of joke. But eventually, I realized the fans were serious. I can't fathom how he got all his sudden Smash popularity just from making a sudden reappearance in the Kirby series. I really hate the idea of Marx in Smash. There are many, many Kirby characters I'd rather have.

Nominations: Urban Champion x5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Marx want: 0% (10-10*)

His moveset looks interesting.

Nominations:

Neku x5

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Marx doesn't even fit in Smash. In his standard form, he's a jester head with two feet riding a ball. What are they even supposed to do with that? In Marx's boss form, he's an overly long bat with a flying situation similar to Ridley. Neither form would fit in Smash.
Check out his movesets in Star Allies

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Marx
Chance- 4%
Star Allies was probably too late, and his competition is Bandana Dee. Not a good spot to be in. At best I see him as DLC, but even then only if his popularity goes up.
Want- 32%
Could be fun to play as, but I'd rather see Bandana Dee and Adeleine

Lucina Predictions- 74%

Nominations:
Ashley x5

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Marx
Chance: 20%

If Sakurai still decides to completely ignore post-Super Star Kirby, I could see Marx getting in, even without Star Allies.

Want: 60%

Based on what he can do in Star Allies, he looks like he'd be awesome as a fighter. I still think we should get Bandana Dee first as he's become the fourth major character of the series, but if we were able to get two, Marx would definitely be my second pick.

Nominations: Impa x5

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Marx
Just because he appeared in Kirby Star Allies as DLC despite not making any major appearances in several years does not mean that he will appear in Smash. He has just now become relevant in the Kirby franchise for the first time in years; because of this, I highly doubt that we will see him at all in the main game due to how Star Allies came out so recently and how Smash 5's development cycle is likely in its last stages. His only chance of making it as a playable character in the next Super Smash Bros. game is as a DLC fighter. This is still highly unlikely because, like Smash 4, the DLC characters will likely be highly requested characters and/or cut veterans and third-party characters.

I have never played any of the Kirby games in my life and the only time I have seen Marx in action is through a video showcasing his moveset in Kirby Star Allies. Based on this, I think he would be pretty fun to play, but he is not very high on my want list.

Predictions:
Lucina: 68.76%

Nominations:
Steve (Minecraft) x4
Spyro x1

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The Marxist

Chance: 18%

Yeah he did appear in Star Allies but even then it would be a little too late to put him on the roster. Especially considering Bandana Dee would have much higher priority than him. He wasn't relevant before that as well.

Want: Abstain

Don't know anything about Marx as well. 64 was my only Kirby game.

Prediction: Lucina

Chance: 77%
Want: 53%

Nominations

Mike Jones X 5

StormC

Smash Hero
They'd honestly have a lot of work to do to fit Marx into a fighting game. His ball would be a hassle to incorporate, still no realistic way to grab, etc.
The only thing his ball would need to be is a dash attack, to be honest. He walks around fine without it in Star Allies. Grabbing is the only thing that could actually be an issue. But it's hardly enough to prevent a character from being playable.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Marx
Chance: 8%
Marx probably has the best chance out of any Kirby character not called Bandana Dee or Galacta Knight, but that's not saying very much. Whilst he's enjoying a new found fandom with the Star Allies DLC introducing more modern Kirby fans to his existence, and Sakurai does seem to have a fondness for his own old games he's also shown great restraint with the Kirby series in the past.

Want: 50%
I'm one of those new Kirby fans, so I didn't know much about Marx prior to Star Allies. I prefer both Bandana Dee and err...Gooey if I'm honest but I still wouldn't be too saddened should he be added...just not before Bandana Dee please?

Prediction:

Lucina 74%

Nomination:
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner X 3
Isabelle X 2

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
They'd honestly have a lot of work to do to fit Marx into a fighting game. His ball would be a hassle to incorporate, still no realistic way to grab, etc.
I really don't think they'd have to. His ball would pretty much just be a glorified dash attack, and grabbing things doesn't really seem like it be that much of an issue.

I'm no artist, but:

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

It doesn't seem like it'd be all that difficult to do.

I don't think Marx has much of a chance of getting into Smash, but the thing holding him back is most certainly NOT a lack of moveset options.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Marx
Chance: 9%
Want: 25%

Lucina Prediction: 60.47%

Nominations
Endou Mamoru x4
Decloned Dark Pit x1

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Marx Chance:
20%
He isn't very relevant right now, but Sakurai might see some potential in his moveset. His recent appearances show that they still remember he exists.

Marx Want:
60%
I can see him having a unique moveset with throwing around his ball and remounting it. He is my favorite idea for a new Kirby representative. I'm not super attached though, so I won't get mad if he doesn't get in.

Lucina Prediction:
67.95%

Nominations:
Sylux x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Marx
Chance: 3% - I’m no Kirby expert but the series does seem to the follow the Zelda habit of introducing a major villain in each installment and then never give them another major appearance (Marx, Magolar, Daroach, and Haltmann). This seems to have been averted with his appearance as DLC in Kirby star allies which came out far too recently. I haven't seen anyone give much love or support to this guy before the DLC announcement, which honestly makes me feel that his popularity is just a passing fad.

Also Badanna Dee just dropped by to say hello.

Hello!!!!!!!

Want: 20% - More proof that you can put a jester motif on anything to make it popular.

Lucina prediction: 63%

Nominations: New Story Mode x5

Graizen

Smash Champion
Marx
Chances:
10%
Want: 10%

I like him! But i don't think he has more chances than other Kirby Characters!

Nominated:
Agumon x5

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
MARX
CHANCE: 12%

I think Bandana Dee becoming the next Kirby rep is a foregone conclusion. Sadly, Marx's upswing in popularity via Allies has come a bit too late for him to be considered for the base game. However, I could see him being a reasonable choice for DLC. Kirby getting one newcomer for the base game and another newcomer for DLC is something that I don't think is too far outside the realm of possibility - especially since the Kirby series seems to be enjoying a bit of a renaissance as of late.

WANT: 65%
I love Marx. I think he'd be an awesomely unique character and he's just so much fun. I'm also a realist though, and I feel like his potential inclusion depends solely on whether or not Sakurai thinks the potential addition of Bandana Dee would give the Kirby series enough playable representation.

LUCINA PREDICTION: 50%

NOMINATIONS: Decloned Ganondorf x5

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Oh man, I haven't been here in a while...

Chances: 36%

Pretty good if we get 2 Kirby and I consider 2 Kirby to be fairly likely, one of which will most likely be Bandana Dee. Marx is a pretty popular antagonist from a classic Kirby game which Sakurai tends to pull from a lot more than the other games. Star Allies DLC feels pre-planned, so it is entirely possible Sakurai knew about it beforehand and thus could be taken into consideration. Marx is popular fan-base-wise and considered an iconic Kirby character. His Star Allies set shows a lot of potential for what he could do set-wise, and the idea Marx's body type makes him "unviable" is goofy given Jigglypuff, Kirby and more in Sm4sh. He's still kind of far away and thus relevancy is an issue and he is firmly behind Bandana Dee in terms of Kirby characters, necessitating two Kirbs and beating out many other options, so I can't put him too high.

Want: 92%

This guy could have an awesome moveset, he's classic, he would be very unique, Star Allies provides him a lot of relevancy, he'd give Kirby a true villain since Dedede hardly counts any more, and I like his design, he has plenty of classic stuff to reference. Marx hype train, lets go boys!

Prediction

Lucina: 73.2%

Nominations

Micaiah x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
major villain in each installment and then never give them another major appearance (Marx, Magolar, Daroach
Actually, Daroach got a major role in Mass Attack after his debut in Squeak Squad as a main helper for Kirby. I would honestly be surprised if he didn't pop up in Star Allies as a dream friend. Unfortunately Mass Attack was a while a go and the most he's gotten since is hat cameo and a doodle. Oh and I guess some artwork here and there. Such as 20th anniversary group artwork and I think they stealth dropped new artwork on the 25th anniversary too
History-img-chara-17.png

Now as for Marx
Chance: 6%
He has only one thing going for him and it's not Star Allies (I only rate chance for base roster). That thing is his game of debut being Super Star, Sakurai's last traditional Kirby game and the game most referenced in Smash. However I think the trend of Sakurai only stages is breaking this game. After all, Halberd in Brawl appeared in Squeak Squad and Great Cave Offensive Sakurai specifically noted came from Super Star Ultra. Although A Castle Dedede stags wouldn't surprise me. Anyway point is I think we're moving away from Superstar, especially with the how much of a role Kirby has been on. So I don't think Super Star is that much of a bonus. Sakurai knows he's accused of Kirby bias of his own games so I see him avoiding it.

Also Marx faces so much competition for the spot of fifth Kirby. Dark Matter, Daroach, Magolor, Susie, Galacta Knight all pose serious threat, especially Dark Matter and Galacta Knight.

And that's even if Kirby gets a fifth character. Because he sure as hell isn't going to be the fourth. Bandana Dee has that position all to himself.

I love the Kirby franchise, the only character I'd dislike is Adeleine. But Bandana Dee needs to get in first. And after that I'd rather Dark Matter or Daroach. But Marx is still cool.

Prediction Lucina?? Tough one. I'll go 34%

Nominate Lara Croft x5 (surely she's over 30 now?)

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Are you talking about The Joker and Kefka Palazzo by the way?
I did have Kefka on my mind when I posted that.
Also the increasingly common "gasp!! the jester was the main antagonist all along!!" cliche with Marx, Kefka, and Dimentio.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Chances: 20%

A classic Kirby villain who has appeared in the newest Kirby game as a popular DLC. His ball gives him plenty to work with (riding it like Wario's Bike or bouncing it around as a sizable projectile with his other attacks) even before the large variety of attacks in his boss appearances and the rest of his DLC set. He even could share a wing mechanic with Metaknight.

That said, I'm not of the mind that 2 Kirby is highly likely even in the face of the last two games of the series being big hits with the crowd. For a slot, he's competing with Waddle Dee, a popular choice who has a lot of what Marx has going with him and would 'complete the set' with the Player 4 character of the series, and other villains new and old. I won't say there's no hope of it, but it's not terribly likely; if there's only 1 new Kirby slot, it's probably the Dee.

Want: 80%

A lot of potential for interesting gameplay and sets, plenty of personality, and stands out among the various Dark Matter incarnations. That said, I'm leaning heavily towards the gameplay possiblities rather than speaking as a fan of the Kirby series (I've not played much, and the majority of my memories/nostalgia come from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards).

Prediction

Lucina: 75%

Nominations

Micaiah x5

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Marx
Chances: 10%

He's old but at the same time too recent. He has existed for years and as only recently regained true relevancey in the year of Smash's release. I doubt he will appear in the base roster, but maybe as DLC. Despite what people percieve to be a bias against Kirby games he didn't make, I see Sakurai including Bandanna Waddle Dee over Marx since BD is basically a Kirby mainstay

Want: Abstain
I don't care enough about Kirby reps honestly, and I don't really care about Marx enough either.

Nomination:
Primarina x5

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
play star allies. how could a moveset, or even him fitting into smash at all, EVER be in question?

When fans first started discussing Marx in Smash, I took it as some kind of joke. But eventually, I realized the fans were serious.
people wanted him because he is an interesting character. That interesting character making a big return added fuel to the fire. Not that hard to understand.

also, Marx DOES have limbs. His retractable wings, which have hands on them. How could you miss this?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Groucho Marx

Chance: 1%

Fans didn't seem to give Kirby Super Star's antagonist much attention until he became DLC for Star Allies, which was probably too late anyway. Unless Sakurai's alleged "bias" towards the Kirby games he made applies to characters too and not just stages (and I think said "bias" is often blown out of proportion anyway), I don't see it happening.

There are other Kirby characters I'd prefer.

Prediction: Lucina - 73.5%

Nomination: Simon Belmont x5

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Oh hey Kirby Dragons. Funny running into you around here :).

Marx

Chance: 10%. Not a bad contender for a Kirby rep, especially since he's Sakurai era. He has to compete with Bandana Dee, though, and being Sakurai era is not a necessity. Also, I wonder if KSA's recency might hurt his chances... maybe he's more likely as DLC?

Sakurai also has four criteria that he judges potential newcomers by. Marx passes these decently well; he displays personality in both KSS and KSA, has unique things like his ball / winged form / etc, would not be hard to balance, and adds a rep to Kirby, which only has three right now. His main problem is honestly relevancy / popularity pre-KSA.

Want: 80%. I'd actually prefer him over Bandana Dee! He has a really fun aesthetic to him in KSA, and his moveset potential is through the roof – just ask my friend Prof. Lex from MYM about that bit. :)

Predictions

Lucina: 40%. I reckon this'll be rather split, leaning toward the lower end just a little bit.

Nominations: Blue Bowser x5

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Marx

Chance: 7%
With Kirby Star Allies he regained relevance and popularity. But almost nothing before that. Without anything else to his name besides a small handful of cameos and only 1(2 more if you count the pinball mini game and remake) final boss appearance. IMHO there are other more substantial reps in the Kirby series that warrant the smash spotlight. Like Bandana Dee or even a more reoccurring villain like Dark Matter. There are a lot of hurdle he has to overcome. If he is to make it in smash he has to appear in more Kirby games from this point onward.

Want:40%
I Would like Banda Dee more and being also from the Kirby series it kind of offsets my percentage score for him. Its conflicting, because he is OP in KSA. With 2 Kirby newcomers I would have no problem. But I Doubt that will happen.

Nomination Prince Fluff x5

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Marx
Chances: 10%
Honestly of Kirby villains who don't frequently recur, Marx is probably the most viable option. His game is the one that got a remake, he got a nice DLC appearence in Star Allies, and he's probably the most popular villain in the franchise after the big two. All that being said, after the fairly likely Bandana Dee, Kirby's cast becomes pretty massive and we've seen Sakurai doesn't really value villains as much as he could. Beyond "he's a villain" Marx doesn't have a ton of reason to get in over other Kirby reps, and I don't think we'll get the 2 Kirby he basically needs to even get in the game. If credibility from being a villain is an actual, real thing, and Kirby has 2 reps, Marx has a decent shot to get in, but I don't think either of those things happen.

Want: 75%
A shame as Marx is probably the best Kirby choice who has anything resembling a real shot. Smash really does need more villains and Marx might not be an especially developed one, but his actions and motivations are entertaining and his powerset is pretty bombastic in a good way. I could definitely see him have an exciting set. The main thing that prevents my want from being higher is to be honest, I didn't particularly enjoy fighting him or his soul in Kirby Super Star Ultra, not because either fight was especially hard I more found it kinda boring, and the themeing of his abiliites just feels so all over the place I worry how coherent a set he could really have.

Nominations:
Dark Samus x 3
Blue Bowser x 2

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Marx

10% Chance

The fact that he is from Super Star helps him a lot, Sakurai seems to love that one the most. He has a new appearance which could have been something Sakurai knew of in advance. He is far less likely than Bandanna Dee but it could happen.

100% Want

I like the little guy, I like his balls a lot. He is my fav in star allies.

Nominating Spyro x 5

Day over at 6:00 AM EDT,calcs will be posted in the morning

Last edited:
Top Bottom