• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: Pokkén Edition - On a hiatus, will restart soon!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'll try to make this quick.

Tyranitar

Chance: 60%

Tyrannizer is the pseudo-legendary of Johto, and one of the most popular generation II Pokemon overall. It's Rock/Dark-typing help it quite a bit considering we are yet to see either of those types in Pokken as of yet. However, I don't see Tyranitar using a lot of Dark-type attacks. Rather, I envision Tyranitar attacking very much like the famous movie creature it is designed after: Godzilla. It would obviously attack with biting, scratching, and stomping in a monster like-fashion. More interestingly, it could also utilize a Rock-type moveset quite well. It could utilize its Sand Stream abilities from the games by summoning sandstorms for distance-based fighting, along with using close range Rock-type attacks like Stone Edge (perhaps he could even use some quake-style attacks like Earthquake to further highlight his mineral-like typing).

What are his issues? He does have some competition with other Rock-types who could use a rock-style moveset (not to mention similar style of attacking). Perhaps his most notable competition is Tyrantrum. Tyrantrum would attack a lot like Tyranitar thanks to moves relating to biting (though Tyrantrum seems to emphasize that aspect more than Tyranitar), scratching, stomping, and Rock-type moves. Tyrantrum also comes from a generation that is yet to represented on the Pokken Roster, so if the developers are looking for more generation diversity, Tyrantrum might steal the cake. However, unlike Tyrantrum, Tyranitar has a Mega-Evolution and has been a fan-favorite for a long time, so I feel as though it could go both ways.

Want: 65%

He would be pretty cool with the ability to summon sandstorms and attack a lot like a kaijuu combined with some earth powers. That would make him look a true terror in the battlefield, but outside of that, he isn't that much of a personal favorite for me.

Predictions:

Hawlucha: 30.45%
Serperior: 12.04%

Nominations:

Toxicroak: x3
Landorus: x2
Weavile is a dark type...

Hawlucha
Chance: 15% (Unlikely, due to Pikachu Libre)
Want: 100% (I would prefer him (and every other Pokemon) over a friggin' second Pikachu)

Serperior
Chance: 5%
Want: 100% (He was my starter in Black 2)

Swalot: 24%

Nominations: Malamar 5x

EDIT: Forgot that Serperior was a BG character... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Weavile is a dark type...
Whoops, I completely forgot about Weavile when I posted that. My bad.:facepalm:

Now then, it's time to rate!

Hawlucha

Chance: 70% --> 20%

One of the most popular generation-6 Pokemon known for its design and unique fighting style that practically no other Pokemon had, things looked pretty good for Hawlucha when it came to a Pokken roster inclusion.

But then, on August 21, 2015, during the opening ceremony of the Pokemon World Championships, this happened...

Pikachu Libre was added onto the Pokken Roster as the luchador fighter. With a luchador-style character already on the roster, Hawlucha's chances have significantly decreased. However, it doesn't throw Hawlucha's chances entirely out of the window. It's still a very popular Pokemon, and we are yet to see an actual generation 6 Pokemon on the Pokken roster, so its inclusion could still happen. The problem is that if the developers are aiming for fighting-style diversity on the roster (at least, that's how things are looking right now), Hawlucha's chances aren't as high as it used to be now that Pikachu Libre fills the role of the luchador attacker.

Want: 75% --> 80%

Honestly, I really think Hawlucha should've been the Luchador fighter in Pokken Tournament. Yes, Pikachu is the series mascot, but I think one Pikachu is enough. I really want to see different Pokemon being represented on the roster, not the same Pokemon wearing different costumes. If they really wanted to add a second Pikachu, I think that second Pikachu should've be an alternate costume, or Raichu should've been considered instead since its pretty iconic for being Pikachu's evolution and has a fitting design for this game.

Long story short, Pikachu Libre's inclusion makes me wish Hawlucha was really in this game, hence why my want rating increased from last time.

Serperior

Chance: 10%

We still do not have any Grass-types and Unova Pokemon on the Pokken roster. That in mind, this Pokemon was one of the best bets to fill both roles. It is arguably the most popular of the generation 5 starters, and it offers a very unique fighting-style that we are yet to see on the roster: a serpent-style of attacking emphasized through the use of coiling its foes. Combine that with various Grass-types to represent it's typing and you have one Pokemon that would make a memorable addition to the roster.

Only problem? Serperior was confirmed as a background character. While we still don't know if background characters will end up as playable fighers later on, Pokemon that appear in the background don't have a strong chance of joining the roster at the moment, Serperior being among them. The other issue it has is comeptition with other serpent-style fighters and Grass-types that could either be just as unique or more popular than it (Sceptile among them as a competitor for the Grass-type slot, who also happens to have a Mega Evolution while Serperior does not). Of course, that doesn't mean Serperior has no chance. Much of what it has going for it has already been explained in the paragraph above.

Want: 90%

Samurott may have been my starter in the 5th generation games, but I really want to see Serperior as the first Generation V starter to appear on the Pokken roster. It's also my most wanted Pokemon for the serpent-style Pokken fighter. It's too bad it had to be confirmed as a background character, but it still remains high on my wishlist nonetheless.

Predictions:

Swalot: 29.71%

Nominations:

Toxicroack: x2
Infernape: x2
Landorus: x1

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So for this one it boils down whether or not we'll get a large enough roster to garner one or two pokemon that fill similar niches...If it were a smaller roster, Hawlucha has probably missed it's shot....but at least he's not a background element...

!Rerate: Hawlucha
Previous Rating:
Chance: 70%
Want: 85%

I'm not sure how many pokemon we are getting for this game, but if we get around 30-40 at least then Hawlucha could easily weasel it's way into the playable roster, probably the most requested Gen VI pokemon behind Greninja, and it's unique typing as well as it's Mexican Luchador-esque fighting style would fit right into the game!
Chance: 45%
Want: 90%

Pikachu Libre, oh how you have disturbed the waters, simply by being a thing...Everyone was basically hoping/expecting her as an alternate costume, but as a completely separate character, now things have been stirred...
With Librechu being the Luchadore of the roster as of now, things are looking rather grim for the Hawk Wrestler, however Librechu's exsistance isn't exactly a flatout death sentence for the popular 6th Gen pokemon...One thing I noticed about Librechu's announcement is that it wasn't on it's own, seems to have been less controversial with the announcement of the Console release and I feel Namco and Game freak may have anticipated a backlash with her reveal...Or it could simply be coincidental...with that said we are going to be recieving more characters, and Hawlucha seems a no brainer for the roster, heck he could still be unique to Librechu by simply having that flying type which Pikachu lacks...sure Charizard also has that flying type but Hawlucha could literally use that as a primary means of offense coupled with it's Luchadore-esque style, but there's one other thing people seem to be missing, We now have two pikachu's, there's an issue with two Luchadore's but not with two pikachus? (I'm speaking from a developer's standpoint, not the fan's btw obviously a lot of fans aren't too happy with Librechu)...With all that said, as it stands we are getting at least 4 more characters, while I am confident we'll get more it is tough to say how much more...My confidence in some pokemon has dropped with or without 'filled niche's' and etc...because I fear there may be a fairly limited roster, especially since this is the first game of it's series (if it'll even continue past one game, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves just yet)

Overall, Hawlucha's chances have dropped, but I don't think it is as extreme as most people fear...I would be pretty upset if we don't get Hawlucha though, and we end up getting stuck with a second Pikachu...

----

Serperior
Chance: 1%
Want: 40%

A Former frontrunner for Pokken's first Grass type...The biggest issue some may have had with Serperior is it's body type, would a serpentine fighter be implemented? Most would think that if there would Serperior would be the 'surperior' choice, but alas, before we got too much more after the confirmation of a console release (and Librechu) Serperior's been relegated to an 'inferior' role as a background element...It may be possible that the developer's did not see a serpentine body type fitting for a fighting game thus it's current role, but we still do not know as of yet if it's an official deconfirmation...However I personally believe that any NPC in Pokken will not have a playable role (at least in their current form) because of the sheer number of Pokemon and how many fan-favourites their are, so adding them in with lesser roles is at least a way to implement them into the game in some way without making them playable...not to mention the whole 'limited roster' possibility, the Grass Type has other pokes to works with including Sceptile and Breloom and possibly Chesnaught who seemed to be the current frontrunners as of now for Pokken's first Grass type...
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Unova staters however I do prefer Serperior to the others...Would much rather the other aforementioned grass types over Serperior though...

----

Predictions:
Swalot: 3.45%
I don't see this one doing well, Swalot isn't that popular of a pokemon overall...

----
Nominations:
Concept: AmiiboxPokemon TCG x2
Lopunny x2
Sableye x1

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Hawlucha chances: 30%
Pikachu Libre makes things kida iffy for the Luchador bird, though that doesn't mean Hawlucha wouldn't be a good fit in the roster, and I suppose could be different enough from Pikachu Libre to justify its inclusion.

Hawlucha want: 70%
Still a great fit for this game.

-----

Serperior chances: 2.5%
Being a background element hurts, but Serperior still remains the most viable candidate for a fighter with a serpentine body, and with grass powers to boot. Maybe if they don't want Serperiors the developers think a serpentine body type jusy isn't viable for Pokkén.

Serperior want: 70%
I'm sure Serperior's body type and abilities would have make it a very interesting and unique fighter.

-----

Swalot prediction: 9.80%

Nominating: (using my extra noms)
Concept: Pokémon as both background character and playable fighter x5
Darmanitan x5

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Muchaw-lucha!
Chance: 20%
I'm on the fence about Pikachu Libre meaning anything for Hawlucha's chances. On the one hand it's a very popular Pokémon that could bring its own style of luchador fighting that could still have it stand out, but on the other hand it is contending with many other Pokémon that bring their own style of fighting that the developers could find more appealing and choose them for more variety. It's a coin flip of whether it really matters as it depends on if they want to have two characters with a similar luchador moveset, or go for something a bit different from it.

Outside of that, it does have some other notable merits such as its popularity, and that can help win it favor with the developers. So even with Libre in consideration, it does still have a decent chance to make a playable appearance in the game.

Want: 80%
One of my favorite Pokémon from Kalos and one that still brings a lot to the table. It may have to share its luchador traits with Pikachu Libre, but I feel it still has its own variations and moves for that style of fighting that it can use regardless, so I'm still rooting for the bird even with the newcomer in the ring.

Serperior
Chance: 12%
Like I said with Ursaring, I'm not sure its status as a background character is going to be a hinderance yet as things could change once we get the Wii U release. Unlike Ursaring though, Serperior actually has a good amount of popularity behind it. It's one of the most popular Unova Pokémon over in Japan, pretty popular in the west (though it's fallen since the early BW days), and as a starter has had a good amount of appearances in other Pokémon media like the anime and the like. So with all of that said, it has some reason to be considered if they decide to have it rise from its NPC role and become a playable fighter if the developers decide to look into them.

Want: 100%
A serpentine moveset is something that I'd love to see done in Pokken and Serperior is one of the Pokémon I'd like to see pull it off, especially considering how well they handled Suicune (who before, we didn't even consider quadrupeds as fighters).

Nominations
Keldeo x3
Deoxys x2

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'm going to wait for at least one more vote before updating the game. I knew it was going to be less active than the Smash RTC anyway, but this is currently the quietest day for this game.

I'll be perfectly honest, if this game doesn't hold up well when it comes to its audience I might consider closing it. At least seven votes per day would be better as an healthy audience.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Hawlucha
Chance: 30%
Pikachu Libre pretty much stole his thunder.
Want: 70%
Yes please.

Serperior
Background character, which may not mean much, but I doubt it's chances even if it wasn't.
Want: 10%
I'd prefer Sceptile.

Swalot Prediction: 31.67%

Nominations:
Sableye x3
Infernape x2

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Hawlucha chances: 26.67% (down from 69.14%)
Hawlucha want: 81.67% (down from 84.64%)

Serperior chances: 5.92%
Serperior want: 68.33%

With the confirmation of Pikachu Libre Hawlucha's chances score literally collapsed, but the overall want to see it playable in Pokkén didn't decrease very much. And while being a background Pokémon is seen as an issue for Serperior to be playable, that doesn't prevent you to want it to be playable - it takes Zekrom's place at the bottom of the top 10 of want with an overall want score higher by 0.04% (I'm going to update the top 10 of want in the OP tomorrow).

Now we will be rating Swalot; please rate the Poison Bag Pokémon in chances and want. Also try to predict what chances score Malamar and the concept of getting Pokémon as both background element and a playable fighter will get.

By the way @ BandanaWaddleDee BandanaWaddleDee wins for Hawlucha, and I win for Serperior, and thus we ge five extra nominations.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Swalot
Want: 5%

Swalot is a bit of an odd choice, perhaps that may be a decent reason to add him into the roster. However he isn't exactly the msot popular choice out there especially amoung Poison types such as Nidoking, Drapion, and Toxicroak who I feel are not only more popular but would fit into the game's fighting environment a lot better than Swalot.

----

Predictions:
Malamar-23.45%

Concept: Playable and Stage Element-15.65%

----

Nominations:
Concept: AmiiboxPokemon TCG x2
Lopunny x2
Sableye x1

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Swalot
Chance: 45%

Malamar Prediction: 19.76%
Playable and Background Character Prediction: 25.44%

Nominations:
Garbador x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Swalot chances: 0.75%
Eh... body shape seems to be really unfitting with Pokkén.

Swalot want: 5%
No personal reason to want this besides maybe the benefit of the doubt.

Malamar prediction: 18.44%
Pokémon as both playable and background element prediction: 20.33%

Nominating:
Darmanitan x6
Groudon x4

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Swalot

Chance: 15%

Swalot is an interesting poison-type to say the least, being one of those "poisonous sludges" of the Pokemon world (the others being Muk and Garbodor). The poison-type hasn't been represented in Pokken yet, so that's one advantage it has for its inclusion. Outside of that, it's not too likely of a pick considering its design may not be be suited for Pokken (though a Pokemon attacking through the use of special-based poison attacks along with some swallowing would make it an interesting choice), not to mention there are much more popular poison-types out there that generally seem to fit into the game more, such as Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Drapion, and Toxicroak.

Then again, the fan made Pokemon fighting game, Type Wild, did find a way to make Swalot a workable fighter, so Pokken could do pull off something similar. Maybe Pokken could pull it off, but I'm still skeptical.

Want: 10%

Out of all the "poisonous sludges" in the Pokemon world, Swalot is my favorite of the bunch, and it would be the one I'd prefer to see the most in Pokken Tournament. Outside of that, I have other Poison-types I'd much rather see in the game, particularly Toxicroak and Scolipede.

Predictions:

Malamar: 17.33%
Pokemon as both background and playable characters: 12.45%

Nominations:

Toxicroak: x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
As before I'll wait one more actual day for more votes before going to the next RTC day. I just hope we will have more flow so this game isn't going to be forced to close...

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Swalot
Not the most notable Pokémon in most respects, I feel many others would be chosen over it.

Want: 5%
I'm personally not really interested in it.

Nominations:
Keldeo x5

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I hate to admit it but this thread just doesn't have enough activity to remain alive and healthy, which is sad because it used to have a much consistent activity back then before the arcade release, with I suppose an average of about 8 voters per day. Which is ironic because with the number of things to rate per day decreasing from six to one or two, I actually expected the contrary.

That said, if you haven't participated in this game as of recently, don't hesitate to create a private conversation with me; if enough new people are down for it, then I'll probably open this game once again.

I hate to admit it but this thread just doesn't have enough activity to remain alive and healthy, which is sad because it used to have a much consistent activity back then before the arcade release, with I suppose an average of about 8 voters per day. Which is ironic because with the number of things to rate per day decreasing from six to one or two, I actually expected the contrary.
That's a shame, but I understand your decision. I used to have same problem with some of my games with the Decisive Games forum.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Swalot chances: 3%
Even if this thing worked out in Type Wild, air doubt the developers would pull it off in the same environment. And as many said before, Toxicroak and the Nido family are much more popular than it.

Swalot want: 5%
Not my favorite of all sludge types and I can name at least 5 Poison types better than this thing.

Malamar prediction: 18%
Pokémon as both playable and background element prediction: 20%

Nominating:
Darmanitan x5

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Hello, I'm New to this thread. If I had to personally see somebody win, it would be Dragonite. I'll explain later today when I get some time to write back here on this thread.

"The reasons I think Dragonite should win are that 1. Dragonite is the Original Dragon-type Pokemon that started it all. 2. Dragonite is a very multitalented Dragon Pokemon, being agile and Graceful, or extremely heavy, and bulky as a powerhouse Dragon to use. 3. Dragonite has always been spectulated about for DLC, and he never became super popular, until his recent appearence as an NPC in the Kalos Pokemon League: Dragon-type room. 4. Dragonite has many strength's and weaknesses that make him stand out form the rest of the pokemon fighters, and he also has a trophy that says what his personality is on the Wii-U. Lastly, 5. Dragonite has made multiple appearences in the Anme, Manga, and fan based smash idea's for smash bros. If you disagrre, then you are shameful of a great Dragon that has potential to make smash history for the first time ever. Please comment back to me when you can.

BTW, if you support me, then please follow me on my profile. I support only Dragonite for chance rating.

Chances of Dragonite winning: 75-85%
Chances of wanting him to win DLC: 95-100%

Hello, I'm New to this thread. If I had to personally see somebody win, it would be Dragonite. I'll explain later today when I get some time to write back here on this thread.

"The reasons I think Dragonite should win are that 1. Dragonite is the Original Dragon-type Pokemon that started it all. 2. Dragonite is a very multitalented Dragon Pokemon, being agile and Graceful, or extremely heavy, and bulky as a powerhouse Dragon to use. 3. Dragonite has always been spectulated about for DLC, and he never became super popular, until his recent appearence as an NPC in the Kalos Pokemon League: Dragon-type room. 4. Dragonite has many strength's and weaknesses that make him stand out form the rest of the pokemon fighters, and he also has a trophy that says what his personality is on the Wii-U. Lastly, 5. Dragonite has made multiple appearences in the Anme, Manga, and fan based smash idea's for smash bros. If you disagrre, then you are shameful of a great Dragon that has potential to make smash history for the first time ever. Please comment back to me when you can.

BTW, if you support me, then please follow me on my profile. I support only Dragonite for chance rating.

Chances of Dragonite winning: 75-85%
Chances of wanting him to win DLC: 95-100%
This thread was closed (but not locked) some time ago due to lack of activity. I doubt the thread owner even visits this thread anymore.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So with the new hint we got at the next Pokémon being revealed, I'm considering reviving this game for a week so we can rate more eligible Pokémon (the hint is a Pokémon with a "ラ" [ra] in their Japanese name). I don't plan to keep this game going on daily until Pokkén's console release because of its loss of audience towards its end, so I think giving people the opportunity to participate for a relatively short amount of time is better.

Please reply to this thread or send me a PM if you're interested in a special week of Pokkén RTC. For the sake of this week only Pokémon eligible for being revealed this month (those with a "ラ" in their Japanese name) will be rated.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Pidgey-Ra for Pokken.

I want to believe

Sign me up for a Ra-d week.

Here's a list with the Ra-Pokés
Credit to the Pokken thread for finding this list, compiled by someone whose name I forgot

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Kingler
Marowak
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Kangaskhan
Jynx
Gyarados
Umbreon
Granbull
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Aggron
Manetric
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Luxray
Rampardos
Honchkrow
Drapion
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilliluxe
Galvantula
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I'm Back! If Only Nintendo would have been more considerate to Dragonite, then I would buy this game. I'm getting real sick of Nintendo treating Dragonite as though he is not an important character, because every time a game gets made with Pokemon, he gets very little attention, and I mean LITERALLY, he is made a secondary or none Pokemon. At least they made him in the game though, but I will remember that. In the near future, will ask Nintendo to make Dragonite popular again for all of those Dragon-type fans to see his true potential as a FIGHTER, not just some honorable mention NPC character. The only exception was that He gets a special distribution event when Pokemon games are having a new game being released for the 3DS/Wii-U. I'm only saying this on my own opinion, because I have waited long enough for Nintnedo to make him popular again.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'm Back! If Only Nintendo would have been more considerate to Dragonite, then I would buy this game. I'm getting real sick of Nintendo treating Dragonite as though he is not an important character, because every time a game gets made with Pokemon, he gets very little attention, and I mean LITERALLY, he is made a secondary or none Pokemon. At least they made him in the game though, but I will remember that. In the near future, will ask Nintendo to make Dragonite popular again for all of those Dragon-type fans to see his true potential as a FIGHTER, not just some honorable mention NPC character. The only exception was that He gets a special distribution event when Pokemon games are having a new game being released for the 3DS/Wii-U. I'm only saying this on my own opinion, because I have waited long enough for Nintnedo to make him popular again.
Yeah it's rather unfortunate that Dragonite ended up to be our first 50%+ chances character to be "deconfirmed", but besides this are you interested in participating to this game when it will restart? I need to make sure there are enough people on board for one week.

Besides, I've seen that Jigglypuff's no longer is in the list of background characters in the Bulbapedia page of Pokkén Tournament. I've searched in the page's history and it was said in one summary "I've not found Jigglypuff anywhere so I removed it from the list", could anyone else confirm this?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I don't recall ever seeing Jigglypuff on that list to begin with. That being said I doubt being a background character or not would change Jigglypuff's chances by much.

:094:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I might jump in for a bit...

(my money's on Tyranitar personally, though there are several other potential candidates based on that list such as Aggron, Swampert, Hitmon(s), Kangaskhan, etc)

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'll join in for now as well. I already have a few Pokemon that I plan on rating for the week (one of them is a re-rate for Salamence; I think it'll be interesting to discuss its chances in light of what happened to its main competitor recently).

Since this thread will be revived in light of that Pokken hint, will we be doing this again when the next fighter is revealed sometime after the one on January 15 (As in, say that sometime in February, we get another hint for the next fighter reveal, and so we once again open the thread temporarily for a week until the day the fighter is revealed)? This is the second time they are doing this hint deal for the next fighter reveal, and I have a feeling this will likely become a trend in the months leading to the console release (perhaps even afterward with DLC). When we get hints like this, it obviously generates hype for Pokken, and with that excitement comes more discussion about Pokken compared to the period between a fighter reveal and the next hint.

I feel like the reason why this thread didn't have that much activity when it was temporarily revived in August was because there wasn't much exciting news during that time period. Yes, there was Pikachu Libre, but Pikachu Libre didn't seem to generate that much excitement to the point people really wanted to discuss Pokken around that time. Now that we have hint for a fighter reveal (a.k.a. some sort of Pokken news that creates hype), and it will likely go to a Pokemon that will likely create actual hype similar to Sceptile (I remember the Pokken thread and the NintenZone social thread was especially active with Pokken discussion with the last hint, and it is already looking to be that way with this hint as well), I have faith that this thread can become more active when hints like these happen compared to the events in August. Of course, we'll just have to say see how this week turns out, but I thought I'd provide this as a suggestion.

Another suggestion: On January 15 when the new fighter is revealed, either on that day or the day after when this thread will close temporarily, how about instead of rating another Pokemon, we post our satisfaction scores with Sceptile's inclusion similar to a day in the Smash RTC thread where we had a satisfaction score day for Ryu and Roy? Sceptile is the first among the Pokemon we rated to be included as a fighter. We could also post satisfaction scores for the Pokemon revealed for January 15 after the day passes (whether it be a Pokemon we previously rated, or perhaps someone we didn't even rate, as was the case with Pikachu Libre).

In terms of who I personally am expecting for Friday, I think Swampert and Tyranitar are the most likely candidates, with Kangaskhan, Raikou, Aggron, Manectric, Luxray, Galvantula, Hydreigon, Terrakion, Landorus, and Tyrantrum being the other strong possibilities. The recent poll from the main Pokken website might be hinting that the next fighter reveal might go to a Pokemon that we might not be expecting though, though there are many ways it could be interpreted.
Pidgey-Ra for Pokken.

I want to believe

Sign me up for a Ra-d week.

Here's a list with the Ra-Pokés
Credit to the Pokken thread for finding this list, compiled by someone whose name I forgot

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Kingler
Marowak
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Kangaskhan
Jynx
Gyarados
Umbreon
Granbull
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Aggron
Manetric
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Luxray
Rampardos
Honchkrow
Drapion
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilliluxe
Galvantula
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum
Akxareth over at the NintenZone Social Thread was the original compiler of that list. When I reposted it in the Pokken thread, I modified it by removing any background Pokemon and pre-evolutions that were present on that list.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yeah it's rather unfortunate that Dragonite ended up to be our first 50%+ chances character to be "deconfirmed", but besides this are you interested in participating to this game when it will restart? I need to make sure there are enough people on board for one week.

Besides, I've seen that Jigglypuff's no longer is in the list of background characters in the Bulbapedia page of Pokkén Tournament. I've searched in the page's history and it was said in one summary "I've not found Jigglypuff anywhere so I removed it from the list", could anyone else confirm this?
Jiggly doesn't have "ra" in its name at all. Pu-ri-n.

Swampert seems like the braindead choice, but the fact that all but 1 employee guessed wrong and 30 employees were salty says to me that this is going to be a very unexpected choice.

My personal pick is Scolipede, but truly the most salt-inducing pick would be Raichu, by a long shot.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Jiggly doesn't have "ra" in its name at all. Pu-ri-n.
Yes I know, but that's besides the point - Jigglypuff isn't eligible for the next reveal, but (apparently) isn't "deconfirmed" for future reveals either, that's what I meant.

Besides, I'm going to open the new day of RTC Pokkén's revival... right now! So today we will be rating Malamar a Pokémon eligible who was supposed to be rated the day after I closed this game. Please rate the Overturning in chances and want. And as a bonus we will also rate in chances and want the concept of getting at least on Pokémon as both background character and playable fighter, which also was supposed to be rated the same day as Malamar.

No predictions today, as I'm waiting for more nominations to determine who will be rated next. Besides, to celebrate this game's revival, everyone gets five extra nominations today, meaning that you can use a total of ten nominations! (Those extra noms only apply today, you cannot save them for later - contrary to regular extra nominations got from predictions).

Reminder: rate the chances of each Pokémon being eventually revealed for Pokkén sooner or later, not just for the next reveal coming the 15th! That said, for the upcoming week we will only rate Pokémon eligible for being revealed next week, which are:

Metapod
Rattata
Raticate
Nidoran♀
Nidoran♂
Vileplume
Paras
Parasect
Kadabra
Tentacool (background character)
Tentacruel (background character)
Krabby
Kingler
Cubone
Chansey (background character)
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Seadra
Scyther
Jynx
Gyarados
Aerodactyl (background character)
Cyndaquil
Quilava
Lanturn (background character)
Umbreon
Murkrow
Gligar
Granbull
Sneasel
Kingdra
Raikou
Larvitar
Pupitar
Mightyena
Silcoon
Ralts
Sableye (background character)
Aron
Lairon
Aggron
Electrike
Manectric
Plusle (background character, already had been rated as part of a Plusle + Minun tag team)
Trapinch (background character)
Lileep
Snorunt
Spheal
Sealeo
Gorebyss
Relicanth
Luvdisc (background character)
Latias
Latios
Groudon
Rampardos
Shellos
Drifblim (background character)
Honchkrow
Bronzor
Chatot
Drapion
Lumineon (background character)
Gliscor
Heatran (background character)
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Timburr
Scolipede
Basculin
Maractus
Sigilyph (background character)
Carracosta
Minccino (background character)
Cinccino
Solosis
Duosion
Reuniclus
Vanilluxe
Tynamo
Lampent (background character)
Chandelure (background character)
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Larvesta
Reshiram
Landorus
Spewpa
Flabébé
Floette
Florges
Dragalge
Tyrunt
Goomy

Note: it's preferable to not nominate Pokémon who already had been confirmed as background characters. While we don't know yet whether it's a "deconfirmation", the strong possibility of them being mutually exclusive shouldn't be ignored.
Marowak
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Hitmontop
Tyranitar
Swampert
Luxray
Darkrai
Galvantula
Terrakion
Tyrantrum
Slowbro (background character who already had been rated)
Lapras (assist character)
Heracross (background character who already had been rated)
Flygon (background character who already had been rated)
Jirachi (assist character)
Weavile (already confirmed, duh)
Froagadier (assist character)
Malamar (is being rated today anyway)

And by extension, any Pokémon who isn't in either list before this one.
While I don't think that Pokémon who are background characters are deconfirmed for good as playable fighters, I don't think it's worth hoping for those who are assists, so please don't nominate them.

I've edited the OP, but since it's really late here in Europe, I'm going to update the rest later. Have fun!

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Pokémon as both a background and playable fighter chance/want: I'd say it's 100% likely if what I've heard about Gengar is true.

Malamar: I think Malamar would be an excellent character with lots of potential for bizarre moves. It's probably the best villainous Pokémon in the anime since Mewtwo, as well. I'd say its chances are actually pretty decent... say, 75% chance?

I'd nominate Scolipede x2, Tyrantrum for revote x2, Kangaskhan, Drapion, Aggron, Giratina x2, and Latios.

Pokemon as both BG Pokemon and fighter
Chance: 50% (Hard to say... I think it's 50-50)
Want: 50% (I'm indifferent... there isn't any BG Pokemon that I'd really like to see as a fighter)

Malamar
Chance: 40%
Want: 100% (team member in Y)

Nominations:
Drapion 3x
Gliscor 3x
Aggron 3x
Parasect 1x

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Malamar

Chance: 30%

Ah Malamar, perhaps one of the most villainous Pokemon out there (seriously, watch the anime if you don't believe me). As one of the first generation 6 Pokemon revealed, it is a Dark/Psychic-type who "wields the most the most compelling psychic powers of any Pokemon, and it forces others to do what it wants" (as its Pokedex entry states). Malamar can make for an interesting inclusion where it could hypnotize its opponents to hit themselves with an attack or even put its foes to sleep to stun them in some sort of way as it proceeds to easily attack him/her.

I also see Malamar utilizing a physical-based moveset that would likely involve its two tentacle arms. In the games, Malamar has a higher attack stat and learns more physical attacks than special ones, especially by leveling up. What attacks could it use? Psycho Cut, Night Slash, and Constrict come to mind, as well as Peck due to its beak.

So what issues does it have? Compared to other Dark types that could very attack similar to it (a physical Dark-type moveset), Malamar isn't as popular or iconic when compared to its competitors in that regard. For a hypnotizing/sleep-inducing kind of moveset, it even has to compete with Darkrai, who could potentially do a better job with a sleep mechanic compared Malamar. Even for a physical-based Psychic-type moveset it has some competition with more popular Pokemon, such as Gallade for one.

Want: 35%

I've always found Malamar's design to be intriguing... yet very interesting to the point that I kind of like it. I mean, it's a squid upside-down done right. I'm also drawn to its villainous-like traits, which it could really accentuate really well to make it stand out as a real "villain" in the roster alongside characters like Dark Mewtwo and possibly Gengar and Weavile (due to their nature). But when compared to other Pokemon that I wish, Malamar isn't someone I'm that interested in seeing.

Pokemon as background characters AND playable

I'm keeping my expectations low for this one. We still don't know what is in the developers' minds when it comes to this concept. However, I wouldn't say that this concept is flat out impossible.

What we do know it is possible for Pokemon in this game to be both background characters and Assist Pokemon. Mismagius is the only Pokemon that has demonstrated that thus far. It was originally a background character, and a few months later, it was also added as an Assist Pokemon. Perhaps this could mean that a similar treatment with an actual fighter could follow suit, but again, I think it is too early to tell with Mismagius still being the only Pokemon to have a somewhat similar special treatment to the topic we are discussing today.

In other fighting games though, we can notice that background characters being promoted to full fledged fighters has happened in the past. Two recent titles that particularly come to mind are Super Smash Bros 4 and Street Fighter V. In Smash 4's case, Toon Link and King Dedede appear as background characters in the Spirit Tracks stage and Dream Land 64 respectively. If someone is actually using them for a battle though, they simply won't appear in the background for that match or another character will replace them (as it is the case with Alfonzo and Toon Link). With Toon Link's case, when people originally saw him (Toon Link) in the first footage of the Spirit Tracks stage, many thought he would be deconfirmed, only to be proven wrong a few months later.

Similarly, we saw something like this happen in Street Fighter V recently. Alex from the SFIII games was a heavily demanded character to return for SFV, but the first footage we saw of him from that game was his appearance as a background character when the U.S.A. stage, City in Chaos, was first revealed. It seemed like Alex was deconfirmed all thanks to it... but flash forward a few months later, we learned that Alex will be joining the SFV cast after all as a DLC character, so it's very likely there will be special treatment where another character will replace him if someone is using Alex and is fighting at City in Chaos.

If other fighting games managed to pull it off, it looks like Pokken could as well. When a Pokemon is already implemented into the background of a stage, it already gives the developers an HD, 3D model to work with, and they can expand on the character from there. You also have popular Pokemon like Flygon, Electivire, and Serperior who would work perfectly as full-fledged fighters (and were arguably decently requested as well), yet they have found themselves being reduced to the roles they have now, so to appease fan demand, this is something developers could consider.

But then again, with the game still having only a few characters implemented on the roster and not too many stages to choose from, it is still hard to tell whether or not this concept will become reality.

Want: 50%

Out of all the background Pokemon in Pokken, the only ones that I'm interested in seeing as full-fledged fighters are Electivire and Serperior, and Flygon and Dusknoir to some degree. As for everyone else? Not too interested.

Nominations:

I was really hoping we could rate Salamence and Toxicroak at some point this week, but oh well.

Aggron: x4
Kangaskhan: x3
Hydreigon: x3

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
half-assed because of laziness...

Malamar

A decently popular pokemon from the new generation, who stands out due to his unique evolution method (which is a pretty novelty method and kinda meh after a while)...As pokemon's first Dark/Psychic type there's quite a bit to work with, when it comes to both special and physical dark and psychic type attacks...his constricting tentacles could make for some interesting animations as well...but overall I don't think Malamar really has the star power behind that the other fighters have...and when it comes to Gen six pokes he's got Greninja and Hawlucha (yes I still feel he's got a decent shot with Librechu on board) as well as Goodra and Florges being other fan-favs from this gen...

----

Want: 30%
He'd be interesting but I won't miss him if he doesn't make it...And I'd probably prefer any of the other Gen 6 fan-favs over him...

----

BG Poke as a Fighter

Personally I don't think it'll happen...As much as I supported NPC's in Smash getting a promotion for DLC, to no avail :'(

That was for DLC, the base game is a different situation entirely as a result, I don't see it as too likely...given adding them as background elements is a great way to get as many pokemon in the spotlight as possible as it is fairly obvious not every one of them can become a fighter...sure with the likes of Toon Link and DDD in Smash there's a possibilty (hence my not 0% rating)...but I do notice Sceptile and Blaziken have their pre-evo's present in the background but not themselves...which makes me suspicious that adding them as a background element is a bone thrown to said pokemon...

----

Want: 75%
Heracross and Sableye are amoung my favourite pokemon of all time and as a result I wanted them pretty badly for this game, but alas I can't have everything...Snorlax and Flygon would've made awesome fighters as well...A lot of the others I'm not gonna cry over (though I'm not entirely sure who all is a background poke, I'm not really following that closel)

----

Nominations:
Tyranitar x4
Aggron x3
Swampert x1
Kangaskhan x1
Amiibo x Pokemon TCG x1 (yeah I'll still try for this concept)

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Malamar Chance: 5%

He's not exactly the most iconic Pokémon on the block, nor is he the most popular either. Not even from his own generation.

Malamar Want: 65%

I'd be fairly happy, but I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't in.

BG Pokémon Chance: 5%

Parasect X5

:094:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Malamar chances: 14%
Malamar is I suppose an above-average popular Pokémon from gen VI, and from what I've read stands out in the anime as far as villainy goes, so while it may not be the most obvious choice at first glance, the Pokémon is well known for malicious tricks and could potentially be prioritized to fill a specific niche about that concept. Then again, its design doesn't seem like it would be adapted to a fast-paced fighting game with a lot of melee attacks.

Malamar want: 55%
Could potentially have some neat unorthodox playstyle I guess.

-----

Pokémon as both background character and playable chances: 28%
It's something not so unorthodox in fighting games to see characters as both playable fighters and background elements, and Mismagius is already confirmed as both a background character and an assist, but after the King K. Rool debacle for Smash 4 I prefer to keep my expectations low. (I know it's not the same, but still.)

Pokémon as both background character and playable want: 94.6%
Same score as my want for Flygon (the highest score I gave for a Pokémon who was confirmed as a background character) also slightly increased in case if another Pokémon I really want is confirmed as background character as well.

-----

Nominating: Jynx x7; Gyarados x1; Scolipede x1; (Rerate) Terrakion x1

Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar you have five more nominations today, why don't use them? (I'll wait until you change your nominations accordingly to what you can use today or otherwise wait until the end of the day before counting your nominations.)

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Malamar

With Dark type being represented very well, I don't see Malamar happening because he has somewhat more popularity than Gen 6

Indifferent
He has a cool design, but a new fighter trope would be better.

Background AND Playable
Chance: 21%

Depends on the background Pokémon.
A Background Mewtwo is more likely to be promoted than a Background Swalot

#FreePidgey2k16

Reuniclus x10

Top Bottom