• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: Pokkén Edition - On a hiatus, will restart soon!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Malamar
Chance: 7%

I don't see it happening. Malamar while cool is ultimately unknown. He's not particularly popular with either the competitive or casual crowd and has never been used in advertising. He does have a neat subplot in the anime, but its so utterly minor, I'm not sure why he'd be picked over other characters.

Want: 59%
Pretty neat. I imagine a fun playstyle involving tentacles. He can be a Gardevoir hard counter. :troll:

But really, he'd be fun. Just not my most wanted.

Background and Playable
Chance: ???

I don't know. I can't really say. On one hand, its fishy that they put that species in the background when they could just be playable in the first place. On the other hand, there are tons of Pokemon of a species. It's not out there to assume that if the team wants, they'll just ignore the Pokemon in the background. I mean, you don't have to change anything. Just add stuff.

Want: 90%

Snorlax, Ursaring, Flygon... Lots of cool things!

X5 Scoliopede
X4 Drapion
x1 Granbull

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Malamar chances: 24.50%
Malamar want: 56.29%

Pokémon as both background character and playable chances: 32.00%
Pokémon as both background character and playable want: 72.80%

For our first Pokémon rating since a while Malamar got a rather average score in both chances and want, though the other concept seems overall to be rather wanted.

Next Pokémon in line are Kangaskhan and Aggron both from the Monster egg group. Please rate the Parent and Iron Armor Pokémon in chances and want. In addition to these two, today we will also rate in chance and want the concept of getting official Pokémon TCG cards with amiibo functionality.

The day after we will be rating Reuniclus and Scolipede, so try to predict the overall chances score they will get. Whoever is the closest to their actual score will get five extra nominations once we're done rating them! (On a side note, the extra 5 for everyone which applied this day no longer apply.)

I've edited the OP's title and introduction, and I'm going to update the rest as soon as possible. I'll also rate and nominate later.

Kangaskhan
Chance: 15%
Want: 20%

Aggron
Chance: 35%
Want: 100%

TCG
Chance: Abstain
Want: 0%

Scolipede: 8%
Reuniclus: 4%

Drapion 3x
Gliscor 2x

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Damn, missed Malamar.

Aggron
Chance: 30%
It's a pretty popular guy, even back before it got its Mega I remember a lot of fans loving its kaiju-like design and the Mega only helped it more in that area. It also brings something that's not in the cast yet, and that's a true bulky fighter that hits hard and can take hits, but isn't the fastest mon around. The only thing I'd say is that I could see said playstyle overlap with Tyranitar, which is a Pokémon I could see chosen over it. If not though, then Aggron is a good second and definitely would be an interesting addition to the cast.

Want: 50%
Ambivalent.

Kangaskhan
Chance: 25%
Decently popular, has a Mega, and I could see it be a surprise pick out of the bunch.

Want: 20%
Too many bad memories of Mega Mom...

TCG
Chance: Abstain
I can't add much to this.

Want: 10%
I never really got into the TCG, it was always the part of the franchise that I didn't find a lot of enjoyment in. So for me personally, it's just not something that I'd like to see happen, though I will give it credit for giving extra functionality for those who do care about it.

Nominations:
Hydreigon x2
Terrakion x2
Hitmontop x1

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Aggron chances: 26%
Thanks to its bulk and typing, Aggron seems like the kind of Pokémon who seems well suited for a super heavyweight moveset, who would attack for massive damage but not be great for dodges or combos. Tail swings and charges would be the main ways to attack.

Aggron want: 48.5%
It'd be funny to see it use Heavy Slam to attack, but its moveset potential doesn't really catch my interest... Also funny that we're rating two Pokémon today who are very similar in body type... and the other one we're rating seems more interesting to me.

-----

Kangaskhan chances: 30%
While Kangaskhan isn't exactly the most iconic Pokémon or anything, I could see it being in the same category as the already confirmer Weavile, in the sense that it's a decently popular Pokémon (especially after the Mega Evolution it got in gen VI) with a design that fits Pokkén like a glove. Being a Normal type Kangaskhan's moveset wouldn't be overly flashy but would possibly stand out due to tail, punch and even bite attacks plus a bulky yet not overly sluggish-looking design. Best potential for uniqueness is burst mode: rather than getting a boost in strength or speed, Kangaskhan would instea release the baby from the pouch who would act similar to Rosalina's Luma in Smash 4 in order to make combos even more dealdy.

Kangaskhan want: 70%
Its movepool and design don't exactly promise a flashy moveset, but seems interesting enough to feel like a potential unique fighter. Bonus point for the special burst mode potential.

-----

Pokémon TCG cards with amiibo functionality chances: 16%
The most obvious use from this concept would obviously to easily make an amiibo for every single Pokémon in existence; data mining of the Smash amiibos of Pokémon characters already suggests that it's been at least considered to release amiibos for every Pokémon. Business-wise, it'd make a lot of sense; Junichi Masuda already expressed interest in amiibo use for Pokémon games, and it would easily mutually drive sales between Pokémon cards and video games. At least it would make more sense than a dedicated amiibo card series featuring Pokémon characters like we did get for Animal Crossing; those would easily cannibalize potential sales for the actual Pokémon TCG and even potentially cause confusion to the average consumer.
While it would make a lot of sense to be actually done, I'm not sure it will because the amiibo brand is a property of Nintendo, and The Pokémon Company has no control over it, so they would need to do a special deal with their parent company; and putting NFC chips using Nintendo's property on TCG cards that aren't published by the later would definitely be a big deal. Also The Pokémon Company is rather stingy when it comes to the Pokémon brand being used in products also featuring intellectual properties that aren't their, and I could see them wanting to let the Pokémon TCG and video games being unrelated (although there was a Pokémon video game based on the TCG once). So overall I don't see it as all that likely in spite of how much sense it would do in a business perspective.
(Clarification: while Nintendo owns a part of the Pokémon IP, it is co-owned by The Pokémon Company, which has most of the control over the franchise. Also, Junichi Masuda is from Game Freak - the studio behind the mainline Pokémon games - and not The Pokémon Company.)

Pokémon TCG cards with amiibo functionality want: abstain
I don't care for either TCGs or non-Smash amiibos so it wouldn't affect me, and even though I love the franchise I honestly don't have much interest in the mainline games anymore. It'd be great for collectors though I suppose.

-----

Reuniclus prediction: 18.93%
Scolipede prediction: 12.55%

Nominating: Jynx x3; Gyarados x1; (rerate) Terrakion x1

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
half-assed again...

Aggron

Want: 60%
Aggron is fairly popular...has a pretty cool design as well as an awesome looking mega form...Aggron can bring a certain amount of uniqueness to the current roster with Rock and Ground based attacks as well as some hard hitting physical steel moves...Aggron is also pretty versetile in general and can learn other moves like Surf and Thunderbolt for some special surprises as well...

Aggron's got some pretty big competition with Tyranitar who is probably much more popular and would also fill a similar niche being a heavy hitter...I myself would prefer T-tar over Aggron but I would not be upset if Aggron got chosen instead...

----

Kangaskhan

Want: 30%
Pokken has no normal type fighters yet...With Kang's mega from she could prove to be a pretty competant fighter on the field (imagine an Ice Climber like set-up with Jr.)...Overall though as unique as she may be with her potential in her burst attack I don't think Kang's really that popular (I thought it was rather random that she got a mega form tbh)...

I wouldn't be upset if she got in, but I won't miss her if she doesn't...

----

Amiibo x Pokemon TCG

Chance: 30%
Want: 40%
Amiibo's have turned into a bit of a craze within the past year or so...Of course with the Smash line including Pikachu, Charizard, et al, questions arose if Pokemon is going to get amiibo outside of the Smash lineup...well that's already the case...kind of, with Shadow Mewtwo's amiibo card...which is nothing more than for promotion...But of course making figures for all 700+ pokemon is not only costly to develop but for those who want to collect them as well...Animal Crossing as it's own mini set of amiibo cards featuring various characters from the game to go with several figurines that are in circulation...so it makes sense that the majority of the Pokemon amiibos would be made in card form, it'd be a lot easier for both sides of the market in that case while a select few Pokemon themselves get actual figurines...

The Pokemon TCG has experimented in the past with their e-reader...and a collaboration with Nintendo to add amiibo functionality to certain cards may prove rather appealing to collectors for both the TCG and amiibo...

Technically it is very much possible for Nintendo and TPC to collaborate to make such a thing happen, the TCG is constantly getting new sets released every few months especially with the newer generation of games that are out (or coming out)...but the real question is will they? Sure it could make both sides a lot of money (but there's a lot of things both could've done to make a butt ton of money but didn't) and quite frankly TPC is pretty content with doing their own thing with pokemon rather than following trends...

I do think it is likely that the Pokken line will have their own amiibos but they probably won't go too much farther with that...

As for me, It would be cool to see a few pokemon get amiibo (if Pokken does get an amiibo line I'll be grabbing Weavile, Gardevoir and Gengar instantly)...but I'm not going to be upset if it doesn't happen...

----

Predictions:

Reuniclus:12.3%

Scolipede: 14.5%

----

Nomnomnoms:
Tyranitar x3
Swampert x2

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So we are rating Kangaskhan today. As the Parent Pokemon, it carries its baby wherever it goes. You know what is associated with infants? Birthdays. And today's RTC day just so happens to be my birthday as well (well, technically as of the current time where I live as I'm writing this post, it's been 45 minutes after my birthday, but still); quite a fitting Pokemon to rate today.

Aggron

A relatively popular Pokemon from generation 3 due to its design, it gained quite the attention recently with a Mega Evolution in Pokemon X and and Y. With its godzilla-like design, it could have a distinguishable moveset using a lot of fierce biting, scratching, and stomping attacks. It could also take advantage of its typing with Rock-type moves and Steel-types moves. We still don't have any Rock-type Pokemon on the roster, and thanks to a large array of Steel-types moves like Heavy Slam, Iron Tail, Metal Claw, Metal Burst, Metal Sound, etc, Aggron would due a really good job representing the Steel-type (yes, we already have Lucario as a Steel-type Pokemon on the roster, but to be honest, Lucario's moveset highlights it's Fighting-type more and basically disregards the Steel-type part of it). Altogether, Aggron would have a very power-based moveset that would be combined with good defense but slow movement speed.

Aside from a solid array of Rock and Steel type Pokemon that could pull off similar attacks, Aggron's main competition would likely be against Tyranitar since it could pull off a very similar moveset (only major difference being that it would summon sandstorms and not utilize any Steel-type attacks) and is a far more popular and iconic compared to it.

I always liked Aggron since it was first released, and I was pretty happy to see it got a Mega that fixed some of its most crippling flaws (most notably the typing, as changing from Steel/Rock to Pure Steel really helps reduce the weakness problem that it would normally have). As a heavy Steel type Pokemon, I'm interested in seeing it stand out as a real power-based fighter.

Kangaskhan

While not exactly one of the most recognized Pokemon in the early days, Kangaskhan gained quite the spotlight in generation 6. It was one of the first Pokemon revealed to have a Mega, and its Mega Evolution went on to become one of the most popular out there, especially in competitive play.

We still don't have any Normal-types in the roster yet, and Kangaskhan is up there to be the first one to make it in. It would have a rather generic moveset with the use of punching, kicking, stomping, and tail whips, but it's real unique gimmick would kick in with its Burst Attack. With its Mega Evolution, the parent and the baby would team up with dual attacks to deliver more damage and potentially create some interesting combos.

Even then, competition for a normal type is still intense considering the sheer number that exist and how many of them have something unique to offer.

Want: 40%

I'm somewhat interested in seeing Kangaskhan just for the Burst Attack, but it's never really been a Pokemon I've been that attached to.

Pokemon TCG x Amiibo

The TCG has done game interactions in the past with e-Reader, and with Shadow Mewtwo getting an amiibo card, as well as Junichi Masada expressing interest in amiibos, perhaps this could happen, though I don't have much else to add.

While I've moved on from the TCG days, I think it'd be cool to see special TCG promo cards that allow you to utilize them for Pokken as amiibo support.

Predictions:

Reuniclus: 15.31%
Scolipede: 15.94%

Nominations:

Swampert: x3
Hydreigon: x2

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Aggron
Chance:
40%

I actually got a good feeling about this guy. Aggron is quite the popular Pokemon and even fills a role we haven't seen yet. I'm optimistic.

Want: 80%

Hell yeah!

Kangaskhan
Chance
: 23%

I am not confident with her though. She got a Mega but isn't particularly popular in any real way. Not feeling it.

Want: 75%

Also hell yeah!

Pokemon TCG Amiibo
Chance
: 5%

It won't be from the TCG. It'll be actual amiibo cards.

Want: 5%

I'd rather the two stick where they were made for.

Predictions:
Reuniclus: 14%
Scoliopede: 17%

x4 Drapion
x1 Granbull

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Doesn't Gengar appear in the background of one of the stages are was my source wrong? Anyway, saw this thread
Aggron
Chance: 25% I have low optimism for this guy
Want 100% my second favourite pokemon and I can live with Greninja sitting out. I just want my steel plated dino train dammit!
Kangaskhan
Chance: 10% I dunno, it just seems a bit odd
Want 50% I wouldn't mind her, but she's not exactly a character I'd be hyped for
Pokemon TCG amiibo
I'll pass on this
Predictions: Skip too
Nominations:
Marctus 3x
Chandelure 2x

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Aggron chances: 28.25%
Aggron want: 69.19%

Kangaskhan chances: 21.00%
Kangaskhan want: 44.38%

Pokémon TCG cards with amiibo functionality chances: 16.20%
Pokémon TCG cards with amiibo functionality want: 19.17%

While both Pokémon got a rather average chances score today Aggron stands out by having a high enough want score to get a place in the top 10 wanted Pokémon. The Pokémon TCG concept, in the other hand, happened to be deemed both less likely than either Pokémon we rated today and not really wanted overall.

As I told yesterday we will now be rating fellow gen V Pokémon Reuniclus and Scolipede; please rate the Multiplying and Megapede Pokémon in chances and want. Also Drapion and Parasect are being saved for the day after, so try to predict the overall chances scores they will get.

I'm going to rate and nominate later.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Reuniclus is a somewhat popular pokemon, most likely due to it's battle capabilities and it's incredibly cute and original design.
It's pretty popular, but then there are other pokemon who are more popular, let alone in Gen V
Want 80%
I'd love to put Celly Jelly in the game, as it's the kind of pokemon you can't really have any competition in terms of fighting style. Slow, but takes a hit and pretty strong. I can see it having melee attacks to push the foe away, and then have devastating projectiles

Scolipede is one of Unova's many good bug pokemon, I'm not sure how popular it is, but it's useful in battle and sounds like a chainsaw, especially as Whirlipede
Chance 10% It's not the most popular Bug type in Unova, and it doesn't sound easy making it a fighter
Want 50%
Scolipede's a pokemon I personally forget about with ease, it just doesn't stick out to me. However, I like it enough to see it playable, and I'd like to see what they can do to it

Reuniclus
Chance: 3%
Want: 5%

Scolipede
Chance: 5%
Want: 15% (Was on my initial White team, but I dropped him later)

Drapion: 23%
Parasect: 7%

Nominations:
Gliscor 3x
Gyarados 2x

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Reuniclus chances: 3%
I don't see it happening. Pokémon design determines in major part how well the different species may translate in a fighting game environment and Reuniclus doesn't look like it would fit Pokkén in my eyes. Attacking by using mainly psychic powers and possibly even Trick Room may be unique, but I have trouble imagining how a Pokémon who looks like it has so little melee mosevet potential would actually fit in the game. It'd make a great assist Pokémon, if anything.

Reuniclus want: 15%
A Pokémon with so little melee moveset potential and isn't even the most standing-out candidate for psychic powers, especially one towards I feel no special bias, doesn't really interest me for Pokkén.

-----

Scolipede chances: 6.5%
A very wild card candidate due to lack of flagship status for the franchise or even for its own generation and a mild popularity at best, and a somewhat unconventional design for a potential fighter. When it comes to potential as a fighter, it kind of stands out as a potential Poison physical fighter alongside other candidates like Drapion, Beedrill, Toxicroak and Nidoking, the later two being more popular Pokémon with a more straightforward design. Nevertheless, Scolipede also has access to tail and roll attacks, including Poison Tail, Rollout and Steamroller, making it overall a Pokémon with a potential moveset no one else could deliver. Definitely one of the most reasonable choices for a Bug/Poison-type alongside Beedrill.

Scolipede want: 78%
One of my favorite Bug-type Pokémon, I love its ferocious massive centipede-like look (I also liked Scolipede before it was cool when gen VI launched and gave it Speed Boost), and I'd be pleased to see it in Pokkén, in which it would definitely have a unique moveset that would catch my interest.

Predictions:
Drapion: 20.22%
Parasect: 9.88%

Nominating: Jynx x3; Gyaradox x1; (rerate) Swampert x1

Forgot nominations!
2x Maractus
1x Garbador
1x Ludicolo
1x Sableye
For the sake of the week we're only rating Pokémon with ラ in their Japanese name so I'm afraid that Garbodor and Ludicolo cannot be nominated for now. (Maractus and Sableye are eligible though) I'll wait until you change your nominations or until the end of the day before counting them.

Latios/Latias x5
Someone already gave one nomination for solo Latios, though I suppose it would be better to rate them the same day so I think the best thing to do with them would be to count their nominations collectively and when their day happen rate them separately.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Reuniclus chances: 3%
I don't see it happening. Pokémon design determines in major part how well the different species may translate in a fighting game environment and Reuniclus doesn't look like it would fit Pokkén in my eyes. Attacking by using mainly psychic powers and possibly even Trick Room may be unique, but I have trouble imagining how a Pokémon who looks like it has so little melee mosevet potential would actually fit in the game. It'd make a great assist Pokémon, if anything.

Reuniclus want: 15%
A Pokémon with so little melee moveset potential and isn't even the most standing-out candidate for psychic powers, especially one towards I feel no special bias, doesn't really interest me for Pokkén.

-----

Scolipede chances: 6.5%
A very wild card candidate due to lack of flagship status for the franchise or even for its own generation and a mild popularity at best, and a somewhat unconventional design for a potential fighter. When it comes to potential as a fighter, it kind of stands out as a potential Poison physical fighter alongside other candidates like Drapion, Beedrill, Toxicroak and Nidoking, the later two being more popular Pokémon with a more straightforward design. Nevertheless, Scolipede also has access to tail and roll attacks, including Poison Tail, Rollout and Steamroller, making it overall a Pokémon with a potential moveset no one else could deliver. Definitely one of the most reasonable choices for a Bug/Poison-type alongside Beedrill.

Scolipede want: 78%
One of my favorite Bug-type Pokémon, I love its ferocious massive centipede-like look (I also liked Scolipede before it was cool when gen VI launched and gave it Speed Boost), and I'd be pleased to see it in Pokkén, in which it would definitely have a unique moveset that would catch my interest.

Predictions:
Drapion: 20.22%
Parasect: 9.88%

Nominating: Jynx x3; Gyaradox x1; (rerate) Swampert x1

For the sake of the week we're only rating Pokémon with ラ in their Japanese name so I'm afraid that Garbodor and Ludicolo cannot be nominated for now. (Maractus and Sableye are eligible though) I'll wait until you change your nominations or until the end of the day before counting them.

Someone already gave one nomination for solo Latios, though I suppose it would be better to rate them the same day so I think the best thing to do with them would be to count their nominations collectively and when their day happen rate them separately.
3x Maractus
2x Sableye then

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Reuniclus:
Chance Reuniclus is included in the game? Very low. Arbitrarily, I'll say 10%. We already have a very popular Psychic duo in Gardevoir and Shadow Mewtwo.

How much do I want it? Well, it's completely unique in design: a Pokemon with two arms that seems to travel by bouncing on its butt and levitating. It's cute! It's quite powerful and highly defensive in the Pokemon games, while being extremely slow-moving. It gives it a sense of blissful ambivalence. I actually love using Reuniclus in Pokemon games, but in Pokken, its style strikes me as... not fun to control. 0% want.

Scolipede:
So, how likely is Scolipede to join Pokken? Well, so far, we have zero Bugs, or even gen 5 Pokemon in general. And while Gengar is technically a Poison-type, it exhibits next to zero Poisonous traits in Pokken. Scolipede seems to have some fans among adult Pokemon fans, especially in Japan. It has a totally unique body type, but unlike Reuniclus, Scolipede is highly physically versatile and mobile. I'd say Scolipede arbitrarily has a 50% chance of getting in; it either will or it won't, but the time seems right. If a different Bug-type joins, Scolipede would have basically zero chance... but that is not the case today. Scolipede's biggest weakness? Relatively unknown.

How much do I want Scolipede? 100%. It's my #1 favorite Pokemon! I love its color scheme, design, cry, and unique skill set.

Scolipede has forward-and-backward-facing horns. It can roll into a ball. It stands tall as a quadruped and is known for being shockingly fast, like a racehorse. It is able to grab opponents with the talons on its neck. Realistically, Scolipede would move and attack mostly like a bull or horned deer, but the ability to curl up and roll like a ball really sets it apart. It has various projectiles, like Sludge Bomb, Poison Spikes, Toxic, etc.

Parasect? 5%.
Drapion? 50%. Extremely unique and marginally well-known.

I'll nominate Gliscor x5.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Thought I'd play some fitting music for today. Since we are rating two Unova Pokemon, I thought I'd bring back memories by having the title theme from Black and White play (think of it as the opening into my ratings).

Alright, onto the ratings.

Reuinclus

One of the first generation 5 Pokemon revealed, the version exclusive counterpart to Gothitelle, and a relatively popular Pokemon from that said generation, Reuniclus is a pure Psychic-type known for its cell-like design. While it could be interesting with some trick based moveset with moves like Trick Room, Skill Swap, and Wonder Room, it largely relies on a special-attacking style of a Psychic moveset, and with Gardevoir and Shadow Mewtwo's inclusion that already fill that niche, Reuniclus could be seen as a redundant, and considering there are plenty of Psychic-types that have a similar attacking style and are far more popular and recognized compared to it, Reuniclus' chances aren't very good.

Its design looks cute, but I think there are far better picks if another special-attacking Psychic Pokemon were to be considered.

Scolipede

Chance: 10%

Another fairly popular Unova Pokemon, Scolipede would be a rather unique Bug-type rep in that in addition to stinging with the horns on its heads and the stingers on its tail, Scolipede would have a rush and step-over-the-foe moveset thanks to its design. This could make it stand out compared to other Bug/Poison types such as Drapion (Yes, Drapion is a Poison/Dark type, but it evolves from a Bug-type, and it has a Bug-like design) and Bedrill. With the roster still lacking Bug types at the moment, Scolipede has that advantage going for it as well. Unfortunately, with the wide array of Bug-types to choose from who could also be fairly interesting in what they do, Scolipede is rather unknown.

Want: 35%

One of the things I remember Unova was being the generation that introduced the most interesting looking bug types since generation 2, and Scolipede was no exception. I thought Venipede was going to evolve into another moth, but I was surprised to see it evolve into a more improved, towering millipede instead... and it turned out pretty cool at that. I'm mildly interested in seeing it for a rush-style moveset with its design, but another part of me looks at Scolipede and thinks there are better choices out there.

Predictions:

Drapion: 21.50%
Parasect: 5.17%

Nominations:

Hydreigon: x3
Swampert: x2

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Reuniclus
Decently popular in Japan IIRC, but aside from that, it doesn't have too much else.

Want: 65%
Not my favorite, but it would be cool.

Scolipede
Chance: 7%
It's decently popular overall and has the status of being one of the few useable Bug types in-game and competitively, but it still lacks a lot in the notability area compared to others and it doesn't really have much else aside from moveset potential. So unfortunately, I could see this bug get overlooked.

Want: 90%
I used one in my White team to great success and it has a surprisingly good movepool to dip into, so I'd like to see it. Plus, it would bring something to the table that other Pokémon cannot due to its body shape and the abilities that come with it.

Hydreigon x2
Rerate: Terrakion x2
Hitmontop x1

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I'd just want to come in and say this: Nintendo, You are a great company who makes games for us gamers a reality. However, your Drawbacks are many, including adding characters based off popularity and usage. Other characters who are less popular get cut out, or are made into Non Playabale characters, which include some much needed characters who really deserve a fighting position chance. It's not just Dragonite I'm taking about here, but also, some other secondary popular fighters, like Arcanine, Blastoise, Marowak, and many other Pkemon who need a chance to shine in the spotlight. For FUTURE reference Nintendo, you would attract more fans, if you would add more characters, including the one who need to be added.

I'm just giving my personal opion on these Pokemon. Because lately, Nintendo has been giving me a slight disappointment with character selection nowadays. I Still support Nintendo with this game, it's just that I need to express my feelings to those people who didn't get what character they were wanting for Pokken.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'd just want to come in and say this: Nintendo, You are a great company who makes games for us gamers a reality. However, your Drawbacks are many, including adding characters based off popularity and usage. Other characters who are less popular get cut out, or are made into Non Playabale characters, which include some much needed characters who really deserve a fighting position chance. It's not just Dragonite I'm taking about here, but also, some other secondary popular fighters, like Arcanine, Blastoise, Marowak, and many other Pkemon who need a chance to shine in the spotlight. For FUTURE reference Nintendo, you would attract more fans, if you would add more characters, including the one who need to be added.

I'm just giving my personal opion on these Pokemon. Because lately, Nintendo has been giving me a slight disappointment with character selection nowadays. I Still support Nintendo with this game, it's just that I need to express my feelings to those people who didn't get what character they were wanting for Pokken.
Well, they can't let you play as every Pokemon, can they? Someone's favorite is guaranteed to get left out. So, what do they do? They put those Pokemon who didn't make it in the game in some capacity, so at least the character is acknowledged and present, even though it is not fully realized.

You complain that Nintendo only included Pokemon who are popular, but then ask them to... include other popular Pokemon?

Also, you're wrong, because Machamp is not popular in the least. Even though I like Machamp, there are at least 50 Pokemon I'd want before him. I'm glad they included Machamp, though, don't misunderstand me. A grappler with 4 arms is very unique.

Pokemon like Suicune and Weavile have a fanbase, but also are not nearly super-popular. Sceptile only gained notoriety very recently, in gen 6.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, they can't let you play as every Pokemon, can they? Someone's favorite is guaranteed to get left out. So, what do they do? They put those Pokemon who didn't make it in the game in some capacity, so at least the character is acknowledged and present, even though it is not fully realized.

You complain that Nintendo only included Pokemon who are popular, but then ask them to... include other popular Pokemon?

Also, you're wrong, because Machamp is not popular in the least. Even though I like Machamp, there are at least 50 Pokemon I'd want before him. I'm glad they included Machamp, though, don't misunderstand me. A grappler with 4 arms is very unique.

Pokemon like Suicune and Weavile have a fanbase, but also are not nearly super-popular. Sceptile only gained notoriety very recently, in gen 6.
I think being iconic is also the thing. Machamp is the iconic Fighting type, Suicune had Crystal and Weavile was one of Gen IV's first pokemon
you would attract more fans, if you would add more characters, including the one who need to be added.
So... Nintendo needs to give unpopular pokemon the spotlight even though it's Game Freak who decides this...But they also need to add 'the one who need to be added', AKA, the most popular Pokemon? What?

Also, with character selection, you DO realize different people decide the characters there? Smash's cast was chosen by Sakurai, who, by the way, DOESN'T work at Nintendo

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
TBF Game Freak has little to no involvement in this game (or any spinoff, for that matter). If anyone's making the decisions, it seems to be the Pokémon Company and Namco.

Let's get off this topic though. Focus on Reuniclus and Scolipede.

:094:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Let's get off this topic though. Focus on Reuniclus and Scolipede.

:094:
Too bad we won't have much more time to do this anymore because we're changing the day... right now :p

Results

Reuniclus chances: 6.13%
Reuniclus want: 40.63%

Scolipede chances: 12.06%
Kangaskhan want: 48.88%

Neither of the two Pokémon we've rated today were deemed particularly likely or wanted, although Scolipede did a bit better than Reuniclus. Tomorrow we're focusing on the two Bug-type Pokémon Drapion and Parasect (or rather Bug-type wannabe for the former), so please rate the Ogre Scorpion and Mushroom Pokémon in chances and want. The day after we'll be rating Jynx and Gliscor, so try to predict the overall chances score they will get.

Speaking about predictions, Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma wins for Reuniclus, and I win for Scolipede, which means five extra nominations for us.

I'm going to rate and nominate later.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Drapion
Chance: 17% Drapion is a rather popular pokemon, but it doesn't have a Mega or much noteworthy in the entire franchise
Want: 100% Drapion is a badass, it's role in the anime with J made me instantly love it. Only reason I never used one was because not only is it rare af but Gliscor outclasses it

Parasect
Chance: 0% Nobody likes you outside of Spore
Want: 0% See above
3x Maractus
2x Chandelure

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think being iconic is also the thing. Machamp is the iconic Fighting type, Suicune had Crystal and Weavile was one of Gen IV's first pokemon
Suicune is iconic, but it's very old. The Pokemon players who's first game was White, or something more recent, might not have ever played Crystal, or even cared about it. Suicune's only notable appearances since Crystal were in the Celebi movie and the Zoroark movie, Colosseum and HGSS. "Notable," as in the Pokemon had a more important role than "they exist in the game," like in FRLG. Is Suicune relatively well-known? Yes, but not as much as other comparable legends.

I love Machamp, but other than its prevolutions being extremely common in many games, it itself is not any more iconic than any other gen 1 Fighter, such as Hitmonchan. Machamp has never had a major role in any game or movie before that I am aware of, besides brief meaningless cameos.

Weavile was in the Lucario movie, and is reasonably popular, but hasn't done anything notable since.

I'm content with the Pokken roster, don't misunderstand me. However, I don't think you can make the case that Machamp or Weavile were inevitable or expected choices. Imagine if Lucario and Blaziken were the only Fighting-types shown so far. Almost no one would be pegging Machamp as our next character. Fighters like Hitmonlee, Hawlucha, Lopunny, Infernape, Throh, and Gallade all would have lots more support than Machamp, or would look like more logical or safe picks. That's my point.

Last edited:
Drapion
Want: 100% (one of the best Sinnoh Pokemon imo)

Parasect
Chance: 5% (very unlikely)
Want: 70% (mainly because it's pre-evolution has become a joke here, due to it's name meaning "best" in my language)

Gliscor: 13%
Jynx: 16%

Gyarados 4x
Rerate: Tyrantrum 3x
Dragalge 3x

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
It's rather fitting that I'm listening to Beware The Forest's Mushrooms. :p

Drapion Chance: 10%
Want: 95%

Parasect Chance: 5%
Want: 80%

Raticate X5

:047:

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
This is definitely a day for Elite Four Aaron to show up for a surprise cameo.

Drapion

Chance: 20%

Drapion is a relatively popular Pokemon and was one of the first Pokemon revealed from the 4th generation. It's also part Poison, a type yet to represented on the roster. It was Elite Four Aaron's signature Pokemon in the games, as well as one of Hunter J's main Pokemon in the anime. With its scorpion design, Drapion could be distinguished in Pokken with a dual-claw attacks and the use of its tail for stinger attacks. Compared to the likes of the other two most popular Bug/Poison types, Beedrill and Scolipede, this is how Drapion could stand out (and like I said yesterday, while Drapion is technically Poison/Dark, it evolves from a Bug-type, has a Bug-type design, and is Elite Four Aaron's signature Pokemon, so it really does have a lot of Bug-type ties).

While it's popularity and moveset potential could give it an edge for its competition, there is still plenty of other Poison-types that could potentially provide more interesting moveset potential and also happen to be far more recognized and popular compared to other Drapion. It even has to compete with plenty of Bug-types that have somewhat similar moveset potential, and yet again, Drapion might not measure up compared to them.

Wouldn't mind seeing Drapion in Pokken. I too am a fan of its design.

Parasect

Perhaps one of the most recognized Spore users out there, Parasect can utilize a mixture of Bug and Grass type attacks to make it stand out from others. Sure, we still may not have a Bug-type on the roster, but with the plethora of Bug-types out there, as well as many Grass-types that could provide similar moveset potential to it, Parasect doesn't stand out very well due to its lack of strong popularity and fame compared to other potential candidates.

Want: 0%

To be honest, when I look at Parasect, I can't help but think it is one of those Pokemon that would be better off appearing as a background Pokemon. If we get a future DLC stage where the fighting takes place in a forest, I can see Parasect showing up there.

Predictions:

Gliscor: 16.35%
Jynx: 5.42%

Nominations:

Swampert: x3
Hydreigon: x2

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Drapion chances: 15%
I mentioned this Pokémon when talking about Scolipede while we're at it. Drapion I suppose is more of a famous Pokémon that Scolipede, at least as a part of its own generation, but still seems like an oddball in my eyes, though not to the same extent as the centipede-like Pokémon. It's a scorpion-like who can slash, bite, and attack with its tail; it also has an unorthodox design, due to having its arms on its head despite having a neck and a proper body, so it may inspire a unique fighting style I suppose.

Drapion want: 60%
I prefer Scolipede for a poisonous bug-like Pokémon (although they would likely end up to have very different fighting styles if they both made it), but Drapion seems unique and interesting enough to catch my attention.

-----

Parasect chances: 1.5%
Not iconic to its generation (asides from those mushrooms from the GBA remakes of the gen 1 games I suppose), not particularly popular, and its design is probably the worst offender due to not seeming like it could fit in such a game. It could stand out by being slow, having poor melee range, using pincers to attack, and also use spores... well that would be unique, but I don't really see this as actually working in this game, and other Pokémon would probably do these things better anyway, such as Scizor for the pincers or Breloom for the spores.

Parasect want: 6%
Doesn't really seem like something that would be fun to play as. Better as an assist or background Pokémon.

-----

Gliscor prediction: 20.12%
Jynx prediction: 11.10%

Nominating: Gyarados x7; (rerate) Swampert x1; Groudon x2

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Even more half-assed...
edited in quick explanations...

Drapion
Quite popular in its own right and has potential to be a unique fighter with its poison/dark typing as well as its use of bug type attacks...in terms of adding a second poison type to the game (do people keep forgetting Gengar is a poison type?) Nidoking and probably Toxicroak I feel would be top contenders along side Drapion...we still don't know how much bigger the roster will be outside of getting at least a few more pokemon...so I don't think Drapion's chances are too great as a result...

----

Parasect
Chance: 1%
Not really that popular at all...most people who would like Parasect is because of its notably creepy pokedex entry...it could have some unique moves involving its grass, bug types and powdery statuses but it is far from being my most desired overall...

----

Predictions
Gliscor: 21.3%
Jynx: 14.5%

----

Noms
Tyranitar x3
Swampert x1
Sableye x1

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Drapion:
Chance? 25%. Technically they gave us a Poison-type, but come on... we could use another one. Still, both types are already on the roster.

Want? 50%. I want it, but there are other similar-typed Pokemon I want more.

Parasect:
Chance? 10%. We already have tons of Gen 1 reps. I want a Bug-type, sure, but this one is really far down there on the popularity list...

Want? 0%. I don't think this thing has enough potential, I don't think it would be visually interesting, and there are many Bug or Grass types I want more.

Jynx: 5%
Gliscor: 50%

Nominating Giratina x5

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Drapion
Chance: 10%
It's mildly popular and it has a bit more attention then some other Pokémon, but I feel it's still pretty much in the same boat as Scolipede in terms of presence and I could see it get overlooked for other options.

Want: 25%
It doesn't really interest me personally, though I will give it credit that its abilities would make it stand out.

Parasect
Chance: 3%
It's very low on the list I'd say. Popularity-wise, it doesn't stand out at all, notability-wise, it has very little presence, moveset-wise, it does have roles that it could fill, but I feel that said roles can be filled by other Pokémon. Really, there's not much to this poor possessed soul, and it has very little to its name to make it stand out from the rest compared to the rest of the potential Pokémon.

It doesn't really catch my attention, even in terms of its potential battle style I'm not really that interested in it.

Hydreigon x2
Rerate: Terrakion x2
Hitmontop x1

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Quite popular in its own right and has potential to be a unique fighter with its poison/dark typing as well as its use of bug type attacks...in terms of adding a second poison type to the game (do people keep forgetting Gengar is a poison type?)
Considering most of Gengar's moveset basically emphasizes the Ghost-typing part of it and basically disregards the Poison-type part of it, I think it's easy to overlook the fact Gengar is a Poison-type when discussing Pokken, and the same applies with Lucario and Gardevoir. Lucario's moveset focuses on the Fighting-type part of it with no use of Steel-type moves (I remember one post I made in another thread where I accidentally forgot about Lucario being part Steel because of that), while Gardevoir's moveset largely focuses on the Psychic-type aspect to her with her only real Fairy-type attack being her Burst Attack. If a moveset emphasizes one-type of a Pokemon over another, I sometimes find myself forgetting that we already have a Pokemon of the "less-focused" type in the game when discussing a Pokemon's potential in Pokken.

With Drapion's case, sure we already have Gengar as a Poison-type in Pokken (and I will admit that when I posted my rating, I forgot about Gengar at that moment), but I think we can all agree that Pokemon like Drapion, Toxicroak, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen would do a way better job representing said type compared to Gengar, to the point they would fit for a true Poison-type rep for Pokken.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
To be fair I'm updating this thread later than usual purposely to give more times for votes, because I was slightly worried that I would have less votes before closing the day.

Results

Drapion chances: 17.13%
Drapion want: 68.75%

Parasect chances: 3.81%
Parasect want: 22.00%

While Drapion is our typical "wanted but no likely" Pokémon (stealing Serperior's place at the bottom of the top 10 of want), Parasect on the other hand got the shaft with an abysmal chances score and a particularly low want score as well, only outdoing two already rated Pokémon in both categories. Today we're rating two Pokémon who are completely different from each other, Jynx and Gliscor; please rate the Human Shape and Fang Scorpion Pokémon in chances and want.

Also, the day after will close this special week, which means I'll probably put this game to rest and wait until the next announcement of an upcoming reveal. Anyway, that closure day we will be rating Gyarados and Hydreigon, as well as rerate Swampert; since this will be the day that will close this week, you don't need to give predictions, and today you can nominate any Pokémon regardless of their Japanese name (as long as they're not already confirmed as playable or assist, or background who already had been rated). Those nominations will instead be saved for later when the game will reopen again before any announced character reveal as well as probably during the last weeks before the game's release on Wii U.

Speaking about predictions, Aninymouse Aninymouse wins five more today for Parasect, and I win for Drapion. As usual, I'll wait a little before giving my own rating and nominations, and since it's late in Europe right now, I'll update the results table, top 10 of want pic and directory later as well.

Top Bottom