• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB2 Edition! Day 17: Catscratch Trio

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Rudy Tabootie
Chance: 58.75%

Want: 57.5%

Winner of the prediction is Ze Diglett Ze Diglett with 58%! You get 70 Extra Noms!

Snap
Chance: 67.5%

Want: 72.5%
Previous chance score was 46.25%. A considerable boost from his previous score, as more heavy hitters and requested new shows like El Tigre enter the roster, the demand for Chalkzone has grown considerably. Plenty of people are even expecting Rudy or Snap to be DLC!

Winner of the prediction is DaUsername DaUsername with 70%! You get 30 Extra Noms!

Snap rises to #2 on the leaderboard, joined by Rudy at #4!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY OVER

Rate Skulker

Predict Otto Rocket, Reggie Rocket, and Usagi Yojimbo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skulker

Chance: 10% - Skulker's in a bit of a rut at the moment. We just got Ember in the base game, alongside potentially Vlad, so that could be it for Danny Phantom this time around. On the other hand, his importance as probably the biggest non-Vlad member of Danny's rogue's gallery (in fact, for story mode he would've made more sense than Ember, since he's worked with Vlad directly a few times as a mercenary), along with his pretty good placement on the polls (even if he isn't Top 25) means that I can see him getting some demand down the line. Danny Phantom's always gonna be popular, and the Phandom will need a new pillar of demand to fill in for Vlad and Ember! But I don't really see it for this game unless the DLC continues after the Season Pass.

Want: 100% - I'm always down for more Danny Phantom reps! Granted, we got two this game (providing Vlad's playable), so I'd rather see some other franchises get more love, along with the returning vets. Especially since we still have some big names like Timmy Turner and Otis to represent. Still, he's got all sorts of cool hunting gadgets at his disposal, and he was a fun reoccurring villain on the show, so no objections here!

Nominations:
Ronnie Anne Santiago x10

Predictions:
Otto/Reggie - 25.67%
Usagi - 1%

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I Don't Know This Character Enough To Make A Joke
Chance: 5%

Skulker's probably the pick if there is to be a fourth Danny Phantom character, but I'm not really expecting one in this game unless it ends up being a REAL long-runner. Two newcomers in one game is already a lot for any non-SpongeBob/TMNT series, and from what I've seen, demand for Skulker in particular isn't really that high. There's always the off-chance that if we do get another Danny Phantom character, the devs could pick another from the grab bag of baddies even if Skulker would arguably make the most sense. He might be a name to watch out for next time, but for this game, I don't see it.

Want: Abstain

I haven't seen any amount of Danny Phantom, so this'd be a complete nothing inclusion to me. No complaints, but whatever.

Otto/Reggie Prediction: 21%
Rocket Power's arguably the last noteworthy 90's Nicktoon yet to be added bar the unlikely Doug, but demand for it to be represented isn't really as high as you'd expect.

Usagi Prediction: 0.5%
From what I gather, this is an independent comic book character who crossed over with the Turtles a few times? Yeah, probably not.

Noms to Mr. Horse

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Chance - 4%
Danny Phantom really got a great treatment this game, huh? Danny himself has seemingly got a big upgrade and not only does the series have a newcomer in the form of Ember McLain, it also has series villain Vlad Plasmius as the main villain of the whole game (and very well could be playable, we don't know yet). Assuming Vlad is playable, then his chances are basically zero, three characters is a lot in a roster like this. If Vlad ain't playable then I still don't really see it honestly. I think it probably came down to him or Ember and she won out. I could maybe see him as a boss, but for this game I think we're done with Danny Phantom.

Want - 25%
He's a cool villain. I haven't seen Danny Phantom in some time but I could see him being fun, he's a ghost biker, there's some great potential for a fun moveset there. I don't really need him though, Danny Phantom has quite a lot of content now already, he can sit this game out. I wouldn't be mad or anything if he got in though.

Rocket Power - 35% Technically the last 90s Nickelodeon still to be added that isn't stuck in copyright hell, but there are arguably other series in its way

Usagi - 5%
A pretty recurring and popular character in TMNT, and does have a recent video game appearance, but isn't owned by Nickelodeon. I don't think he'd be too hard to get, but considering there's still three missing TMNT vets + other newcomer picks like Splinter and Casey, I really don't see it.

noms to Catscratch

Usagi Prediction: 0.5%
From what I gather, this is an independent comic book character who crossed over with the Turtles a few times? Yeah, probably not.

Noms to Mr. Horse
A few times is underselling it. He's been in every televised version of the turtles aside from Rise, where he probably would have shown up anyway had it lasted longer. Most people just assume he is a TMNT character. still not very likely though but yeah

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Skulker
Chance: 6.3%
Want: 62.5%
Previous chance score was 35.83%. The massive drop is not surprising, given that Ember and potentially Vlad have joined the roster.

Winner of the prediction is Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario with 7%! You get 30 Extra Noms!

DAY OVER

Rate Otto Rocket, Reggie Rocket, and Usagi Yojimbo

Predict Catscratch Trio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otto and Reggie Rocket

Chance: 50% (Both) - I've seen equal demand for both for different reasons. Still, the show is adored as much as it is mocked, and with so many other new shows getting in I can see it getting closer and closer to the front of the line. They both do extreme sports, which is pretty much a moveset that writes itself! The devs are showing more and more love for the 2000's this time around, and while it was a 1999 show its entire legacy was built in the early 2000's. I've even seen Otto appear in several DLC prediction posts, which shows that the show is in the fandom's collective conscious. The only issues I can see for it are the mockery it tends to get, and competition with other new yet-to-be-represented shows like Barnyard and Chalkzone. Its a coin flip, but I can see either of them squeezing in!

Want: 100% (Otto), 90% (Reggie) - Both would be great picks, and as someone who really liked Rocket Power growing up (and considered it an honorary 2000's show!), I really wanna see it get into the game in some form! And alongside a character, we definitely need a tropical/beachy stage, so the pier would be the perfect choice! If I had to choose one, though, it'd be Otto. Not only is he the title character, but in-universe he's the one always in the spotlight (to the point of becoming contentious the one time he wasn't). he's basically a mini-celebrity around town. So I feel like it would be in-character to for him to be the first one. I like Reggie a lot as well, but I wouldn't want her to get in just because she's a girl. Either way, if I were in charge, we'd get both of them as echoes of each other! They do a lot of the same extreme sports, with a couple of minor differences, so squeezing them both in wouldn't be difficult! As for other reps from the show, as hilarious as Tito is he only surfs, and while he's a major character he'd make for a poor representation of the show by himself (sigh me up after Otto gets in, though!). So yeah, Rocket Power's definitely one of the new shows I'd love to see most! I have tons of nostalgia for the show, and a lot of the comedy holds up so well!

Usagi Yojimbo

Chance: 0.5% -
Usagi's commonly associated with the TMNT crew, and has appeared in every animated adaptation aside from Rise. So he seems like the kind of deep-cut pick the devs could potentially go for. But at the same time, not only are we potentially losing Mikey/Leo/Shredder, but even for a new TMNT rep (which people don't really want aside from the TMNT veterans coming back), Splinter, Casey Jones, Rocksteady/Bebop, Krang, and more compete for that position. He's not that well known outside of TMNT fans, and even they are showing more demand for the aforementioned characters. There's also the issue of his ownership, which can be both a blessing and a curse. He's seemingly creator-owned, and his association with Nick via his appearence in TMNT 2012 means that not only is his creator easy to work with, but that there's been a working relationship with him in the past. However, this also means that Nick doesn't own him, thus royalties may still be involved. The dev team seems to want to spend the budget on old ladies nobody asked for, so even for them Usagi seems a little too distant.

Want: 20% - He's got a super cool design, abilities, and an awesome art style, so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him at some point! But right now there's other priorities. Not only do I wanna see other characters and any cut veterans, but if we get another TMNT rep we should see Splinter or Krang first. Still, he's super cool, its a shame he's from a series that's so crowded with reps!

Nominations:
Ronnie Anne Santiago x10

Predictions:
Catscratch Trio- 36.39%

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
After this we're gonna do a special day to rate all of the fallen veterans, and then Catscratch will be the following day. Pour one out, friends...

Nickelodeon's Jessie and James
Chances: 20% (Both)
Rocket Power has the benefit of being one of Nick's last remaining unrepped 90s Nicktoons, and it also premiered close to SpongeBob's launch, almost bookending the Summer of 1999 with a bang.

That said, both Otto and Reggie are outclassed by Otis, Timmy Turner, and apparently a host of veterans. Not likely right now.

Wants:
Otto Rocket: 75%
Reggie Rocket: 60%

Yes, I would prefer Otto over Reggie, but that's because I grew up when he was marketed more often. Or, put another way, Otto Rocket had a better publicity agent to spite his sister, which sounds like a lost episode of the actual show.

The Tortoises and the Hare
Chance: 1%
Unlike the TMNT, Nick does not own Usagi Yojimbo. That puts him on par with Timmy Turner, Doug, and Danger Mouse, meaning the samurai rabbit has STIFF competition.

What's worse is that, barring Usagi and the TMNT, barely any Mirage Studios properties have any staying power since the 2000s, if they had any to begin with. Pack up your sword and carrots, Yojimbo. You're not gonna be in the game.

Want: 70%
However, I do think Usagi is as worth mentioning as the next Ninja Turtles rep standing by. Maybe that's because I only recognize him as a TMNT character, but the heck with it, he just looks cool.

Predictions:
Concept: DLC Veterans: 50%
CatDog: 25%
Helga: 10%
Hugh Neutron: 20%
Leonardo: 20%
Lincoln Loud: 20%
Michaelangelo: 15%
Oblina: 25%
Powdered Toast Man: 10%
Sandy Cheeks: 20%
Shredder: 10%
Toph: 15%

Some of these 11 veterans, I'm shocked that they're not in the base game already. However, I don't deem them as likely as I want them to be, only getting 25% at most and 10% at least. If they're choosing at random, so shall I.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Otto Rocket
Chance: 35%
Want: 87.5%
Previous chance score was 27.71%. No surprises here, as other unrepped Nick shows are being added Rocket Power moves closer to the front of the line.

Winner of the prediction is darkvortex darkvortex with 35%! You get 150 Extra Noms!

Reggie Rocket
Chance: 35%

Want: 77.5%

Winner of the prediction is darkvortex darkvortex with 35%! You get 150 Extra Noms!

Usagi Yojimbo
Chance: 0.75%
Want: 45%

Winner of the prediction is both DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire and Ze Diglett Ze Diglett with 1% and 0.5%! We both get 10 Extra Noms!

DAY OVER

Rate The Unconfirmed/Deconfirmed Veterans.
Helga, Hugh, Powdered Toast Man, and any future deconfirmed veterans will move to a new Veterans column on the leaderboard.

Predict Catscratch Trio

Unconfirmed Veterans

Chance:

30% (Sandy) -
She's a popular Spongebob character who the devs like and who is mained by the first game's best player. Seems like a weird choice to skip over her. Still, she's someone I can see them going back for at some point, even with the two new Spongebob newcomers this game. People are upset about her disclusion, the devs love their strong girls, and she'd assuredly sell as DLC. Nick loves their Spongebob reps, so it could happen. Still, the devs might not want to overcrowd the roster with a single series (which is probably why they kept TMNT scaled back), so Sandy may have to wait until next game.

20% (Lincoln) - The one I'm worried about the most, having a low score despite being the face of Nick's current cash cow just behind Spongebob, and actively ongoing. He wasn't in the Kevin pic and has a second Loud House stage in-game that we haven't seen since the launch trailer. Stage Theory has held up so far, and Lucy by herself with two stages would just be bizarre. Still, there's a LOT working against Lincoln as well. The devs didn't care enough about him to not phone in his last moveset (despite how much material there is to pull from), there's a lot of people in the Loud House fanbase who don't like him for being ""boring"" compared to his marketable cute girl sisters (who, when they got their initial popularity, were extremely one-note and acted as a unit), he was the least popular character in the previous game and scored dead last in a poll for returning veterans. Loud House fans seem to be generally apathetic or disinterested in NASB, so there's no demand coming from that direction, and any fandom he has is drowned out by his hatedom (and even people who played him in NASB find his absence hilarious). Lucy already reps the show, so everyone's saying "what's the point?" (at least Oblina's the sole rep of her show, giving her a selling point among fans). And with the prospect of him potentially being cut, he may even be losing his corporate protection. If he's not in this game, he's basically screwed for good unless an "Everyone is Here" game comes along, or they decide to add him as DLC for some reason. But if the last game is anything to go off of, DLC picks are geared towards big fandom picks, which unfortunately Lincoln isn't. Still, you never know, Nick's done weirder things. A lot of it really comes down to what we see in Lucy's showcase. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

50% (Mikey/Leo) - Even with the overhauls to Donnie/Raph, Leo/Mikey would be relatively lost cost to make DLC that I can see the devs eventually doing. They KNOW that people want all four turtles, "visual variety" be damned. Reusable assets, instant crowdpleaser, if they miss base game I'm positive they may be DLC at some point. They wouldn't even need to bring a stage with them! I get that "TMNT Emblem" is a common buzzword, but people would be WAY happier that all four turtles are in than they would be annoyed that it has six reps. Its not the same as adding someone like Bebop/Rocksteady, Casey Jones, Krang, etc.

20% (Helga) - Helga was a super popular pick last game and it shocks me that she's gone. She's more than likely out for base game, but if we get returning vets in DLC I can see her being one of the first chosen. She's one of Nick's most beloved characters, and Nick LOVES to market Hey Arnold, so combine that with her fan demand and she's got an okay shot. A lot of her mains are upset that she's gone, and once DLC starts there will be a LOT of demand to bring her back! There's loads of stuff she can do that Gerald can't, and I think it'd be wasted potential if the game came and went without a reworked Helga moveset.

50% (Shredder) - If Shredder isn't here I'd be shocked. They used the desire to add villains as an argument for Plankton over KRabs and Azula over Zuko. Cutting Shredder would really bring that into question, since he's the biggest villain Nick owns. He's not in the Kevin pic, so if only 5 unconfirmed veterans make the cut I can see him showing up. Alongside the Turtles, he wouldn't need to bring in a stage!

5% (Powdered Toast Man) - Synonymous with the first game, he was an odd choice to cut, but outside of Diehard fans I can't see him selling as DLC. He's a relatively obscure character, and even though there's demand, there might just not be room for him. Especially when Ren and Stimpy have both his stage and one of his iconic moves.

20% (Hugh Neutron) - A choice that genuinely shocked me. He's confirmed to be a story mode NPC, so his only hope is DLC or post-launch updates. Though the devs do (probably) care about their fanbase, so I can see him happening if Nick doesn't disapprove. That big fan campaign may eventually come back. Either that or they'll start moral superiority hounding "at least he's an NPC! Respect the devs!". Who knows.

40% (CatDog) - A choice I can almost certainly see as DLC. By far the most popular inclusion in the first game, there's been a LOT of people disappointed that they're gone, and that their series has no rep anymore. Still, he isn't in that one Kevin story mode image, so the iconic duo may be spared the axe. I know Season 1's already been decided (and they could be in it for all we know!), but once DLC starts CatDog is definitely gonna be one people campaign for the return of. I can see the devs listening to the fans on this one!

30% (Oblina) - A niche pick, but one I can see them going back for. She reps a whole franchise, and while people seem to prefer Ickis I've still seen a decent amount of people disappointment that she's gone. New franchises make great DLC, so if she misses the cut for base roster I can see them going back for her there. If not there, then I have grim prospects for her future. One of the ones I'm the most worried about.

30% (Toph) - Much of what I said for Toph goes for CatDog, but with the disadvantage of being included in the Kevin image (which seems to hint that everyone in it is cut). Nonetheless, there are a LOT of people who aren't gonna buy the game if Toph is cut. We haven't seen Korra's showcase, so unless she has loads of Earthbending it won't hurt Toph's chances. As for DLC, I can definitely see it though! Nick loves marketing Avatar, and her fans are gonna want her back, so unless she's on the pass already I can see people putting demand behind her return. The devs put a ton of effort into her last game, so I don't think they'd want it all to go to waste.

Want: 100% (All of Them) - None of these characters deserved to be cut in favor of characters like Gertie or Gerald, or even Azula.In other words, secondaries that nobody was really asking for, and I haven't seen a single person hyped about specifically Gerald. I get that base game is the time to add characters like that, but at the same time they and many others shouldn't have come at the cost of half of the last game's roster. I get that resources/budget is tight, but they should've done less newcomers and added the veterans instead. With all of the polish and extra content, Squid/Jimmy/Donnie/Raph/Vlad would've been fine as a base game newcomer lineup (or cut less characters and slowly add them back post-launch), as they're all heavy-hitters and there's plenty of extra stuff to draw people in that would make up for a smaller amount of newcomers. I really wanted to see how characters like Sandy, Lincoln, Hugh, and the Turtles would get reworked, and even if I don't care at all about ARM it still hurts to see Oblina go. Granted, again, we don't know if everyone's cut or not, but either way, I wanna see them all back at some point, even if they're post-launch updates over time. Like we all said back in the Sword and Shield prerelease in protest of Game Freak's terrible decisions: every character is someone's favorite.

Nominations:
Doug Funnie x30

Predictions:
Catscratch Trio - 36.39%

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm going in descending order of best chances of returning to worst.

Lincoln
Chance: 80%
Lincoln is an interesting case. Despite being the least popular veteran and the character that fans want to see back the least, he has the most in his favor. A second Loud House stage has been showcased, and according to the leaks there is no Loud House newcomer coming., plus his absence from the story mode pic posted by the Kevin Leaker (who also leaked the official box art cover). However, his lack of popularity might be his undoing, but he has plenty in his favor to counter that.

Edit: I'm boosting Lincoln's chances to 80% following Gertie's reveal. There's no one else they can give Loud Castle to unless the Angry Beavers are separate and they don't wanna give the series two stages.

Shredder
Chance: 60%
This is a game with a heavy focus on adding villains to the game, with Plankton getting in over Mr. Krabs and Azula getting in over Zuko, along with Ember joining the cast as well, so it make sense to bring back the one villain who was in the last game. Plus he was absent from the story mode pic as well. It would also be hard on Shredder fans if he was cut due to him also being cut from Kart Racers 3 which came out last year as well.

CatDog
They're fondly remembered 90s icons, and Nick even intended for them to be the mascot of the network until SpongeBob happened. Still, they're highly popular and were voted the veteran fans want to see back the most. And they're also absent from the story mode pic as well. If they're not in the base game, they're a shoo in for DLC due to how iconic and popular they are.

Leo and Mikey
They're the only characters outside the four missing from the story mode pic that have a chance over 50%. And that's because of who they are. TMNT is one of the biggest franchises repped in the game, with a cross-media legacy dating back to 1984. One of the biggest criticisms of the first game's roster was that they only chose to add two turtles instead of all four. They would be shoo-ins for DLC as well if they're cut. Many fans are willing to give TMNT six reps to just have all the turtles together.

Oblina
Chance: 50%
And now we're at the final character missing from the story mode pic. Aah! Real Monsters was the black sheep of the 90s Nicktoons and didn't really get a lot of focus back then. However, it's looked at more fondly now. It would be a shame to lose Oblina, as that would mean that an entire show would be cut. Her newfound popularity as a result of her inclusion in both the first game and KR3 could be enough to save her, but she has the most against her out of the four missing characters.

Sandy
Chance: 40%
Sandy is one of SBSP's most popular supporting characters, and has more playable video game appearances than Squidward does, along with her getting her own movie later on this year. However, with two new SBSP reps in Squidward and Plankton added she might have been axed and pushed to DLC to make room for them.

Toph
Avatar's getting a new rep in Azula, so many fans believe that Toph was cut to make room for her. Still, Avatar is a hugely popular franchise that's getting loads of new content in the coming years, so Toph would be a good choice for DLC.

Hugh Neutron
Chance: 30%
He's one of the two missing veterans who has officially confirmed to have been cut, with PapaGenos himself revealing that he will simply be an NPC in the game's story mode. While he is hugely popular and his addition was the result of fan demand, his inclusion did spark some backlash because of him being added instead of his son. Due to his NPC role it's unknown if he'll get the same level of meme push as he did last time, because he might have been replaced with Otis in this regard due to this.

Helga
Helga was confirmed to be cut by a playtester and was revealed to be nothing more than a background character on the new Hillwood Aquarium stage in Nigel's showcase. Still, she's hugely popular and could make it in as DLC, but her NPC role could prevent this and push much of her demand over to Arnold himself, who might get a Chrom-esque push given that he was passed over again, this time in favor of his best friend Gerald and his own grandma. Overall I don't have much hope in Helga.

Powdered Toast Man
Chance: 10%
And now we've hit the veteran with the absolute worst odds to come back, lower than two characters that are confirmed to have been cut. There's been indication that PTM is gone for a while now, with Powdered Toast Trouble showing up with him nowhere in sight, some bits of his moveset given to other characters, and his lack of notoriety in general. You can count how many times he appeared in the Ren and Stimpy show on one hand, so he doesn't have much to work with in regards to a moveset. Notably, I did boost his chances, as I originally only had him at 1%, but I boosted it to 10% due to the chance that a second Ren and Stimpy stage could be shown in a future trailer or showcase, which would instantly confirm his return. Still, his chances are low overall.

Want: 100%
Who wants cuts anyways? Countless people would lose their mains if these characters didn't return, and some of them might be so pissed that they decide to stick with NASB1 over getting the sequel, which would cause them to lose potential buyers. Still, many of these characters could potentially be DLC, like Sandy, Toph, CatDog, and the other two turtles, which could bring them back, but I don't know at this point.

Nom: Chuckie Finster x10

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Like we all said back in the Sword and Shield prerelease in protest of Game Freak's terrible decisions: every character is someone's favorite.
arent you the guy who said i deserved to be harassed for liking grandma gertie

also lmao at thinking the national dex cut was bad

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
First, to understand my outlook, gotta have a word on cuts as a whole. They are not uncommon. And they certainly aren't abhorred or anything like that. It's just something that HAS to happen for the sake of development. I hate the idea that cuts to beloved characters is something that only unsuccessful or stupid game devs do. Because, to use the currently most successful fighting game series as an example...
  • Sakura was sold as DLC for SFV
  • Rashid, Ed, and Akuma are all being sold as DLC for VI
  • Vega, Sakura, Bison, T. Hawk, Cody, Dudley, and many other iconic SF characters just aren't in SFVI.
But y'know what? Street Fighter wouldn't be where it is today without cuts. You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. Not spending time remaking ground that's already been tread lets devs come up with awesome new characters and improve existing gameplay. And SFVI is one of the most fun fighting games to date, and has a cast of characters that is a perfect blend between old icons and new challengers. If Street Fighter only added newcomers after all veterans had been remade, then it wouldn't be where it is today.

I also think that DLC for veterans isn't scummy whatsoever - it's quite the opposite. You know how Guilty Gear fans reacted when Bridgette was annoucned? Not with bittersweetness ("oh, look at that, we're paying seven dollars on a character we like who should've been in Strive to begin with. sigh), but with excitement. She's back! I'm not even a fan of GG but I could feel the hype from across the internet thanks to memes and friends who were into it. Bringing back characters we love through DLC is the ultimate revival of a character. It can mean someone gets a second chance when their debut was rather rocky (like Rashid in SF), someone who didn't have time for the base roster can still be part of it (Lucas), a fan-favorite can shine anew (Mewtwo), etc.

(I am aware that SF and GG are different since their rosters are original and not pre-existing characters (not counting SF's Final Fight characters), but it has dealt with the same debacle that this thread is - should X beloved character come back or should we get a fresh new face?)

Regardless, while they do have to happen with any good fighting game, cuts are lame. I'll rank them in order from most lame to least lame, IMO. Heads up, I don't watch Nickelodeon outside of Spongebob and TMNT.

Shredder
Chance: 55%
I can see Shredder kind of competing with the turtles here, honestly. I think the devs are aware that it's strange to cut two turtles in favor of the other two, and DLC for them seems like it's something that could happen. But I give Shredder the edge because the villain focus of 2 makes me feel like he'd be a perfect fit for a DLC that expands the story mode.
Shredder is such a visceral character, which I really love. He felt extremely out of place in the first game, fighting goofballs and gags with his vast arsenal of sharp pointy things, and that was really cool to me. So when he was cut I just felt like the roster felt weird. Such a perfect choice for a villain just passed over. He was like Ganondorf if he had his trident, and that was cool as hell. I hope he returns.

Helga
Chance: 20%
We're already getting two new Hey! Arnold characters, not to mention they both aren't Arnold. I just don't see Helga being high on the priority list, unless the devs want there to be three non-Arnold characters...
Which is exactly what I would want! It would be really funny if we just had every character from that show excluding the title character. That is my only reason.

Hugh
Chance: 10%
Maybe? Like we have Jimmy now, and the meme's have dissipated, so I don't see them coming up again. So unless it's a dev favorite I don't know if Hugh will come back.
Want: 10%
He's a goofy guy. I like him. Never played as him though, didn't buy DLC.

Lincoln
Chance: 20%
Popular character, popular show. Was hated upon release, which I'm guessing is why he's cut. I don't have much more to say. Again, I just see the devs skipping over him in favor of a different character.
Want: Abstain

Powdered Toast Man
Chance: 5%
It would be way more interesting if we got a new side character from Ren and Stimpy, so I think that's what will happen. If not we'll probably just stay with those two. PTM, as has been said, is synonymous with the first game, so unless a big fan-push happens I just don't see it.
Want: 0%
I LOVED PTM in the first game. But there are a few reasons I don't want him back. One, he wouldn't be as fun in 2's engine, probably. Two, while I do see how others feel he is the Captain Falcon of NASB (both in terms of gameplay and just his overall feel), but Captain Falcon only was in Smash because he fit the model for the original Dragon King character really well. PTM is, on the other hand, existing because he'd be a cool and interesting pick from R&S, and there are just more R&S characters to choose from assuming you don't bring PTM back.

Toph
Chance: Abstain
I love block summoners! I don't really care for Toph specifically, and don't know enough about Avatar to consider her chances, but hey, I love characters who recover by making plats! She's a win in my book.

Sandy
Chance: 0%
We got two new Spongebob characters along with the disconfirmation of Mr. Krabs. Six would be fine but I just don't see it happening. If we were to get another SpongeBob character, I think it would be someone new - Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, Bubble Bass, Pearl, really a number of others.
Want: 0%
IDK why I just don't really like Sandy, either in NASB or in the cartoon.

Oblina
Chance: Abstain
People say that if she's cut now, then she has the worst chances of returning, and I'm like...doesn't that mean she probably shouldn't come back in the first place? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, idk. I do like her spindash but it could easily go to another character.

Abstain on CatDog and Turtles because I don't feel like writing any more.

All noms to Johnny Knoxville

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
arent you the guy who said i deserved to be harassed for liking grandma gertie

also lmao at thinking the national dex cut was bad
Not the time or the place, buddy.

But y'know what? Street Fighter wouldn't be where it is today without cuts.
Still, there's a difference between just a few cuts (like 4 or 5) and half of the last game's roster with skewed priorities mixed in, especially when some of those characters have slimt-to-no chances of coming back in future entries. They knew they had to rework everything, they shouldn't have gunned for so many newcomers. Alongside that, how do we even know we'll get veterans as DLC?

There's also a difference between big, seasoned franchises with huge accumulated casts (which have basically no choice if you aren't Smash) and a brand new one going between its first and second entries.

Either way, I'd love to see some of the cut veterans as down the line updates or DLC, I just feel that 11 is way too many, even for a studio under a tighter budget. And the game could easily reach new heights without needing to crack so many eggs. A simple Squid/Jimmy/Turtles/Vlad newcomer lineup for base game, alongside all of the improvements, would've absolutely brought people in.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just believe that you can have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I wanna open by saying I'm not opposed to cuts on principle like the overwhelming majority are. I think less can absolutely be more and the existence of cuts is less important than the individual decisions made. Because of that, I won't be giving blanket 100% want scores because that's not how I roll and will instead be rating how much I wanna see each character back, starting with...

Sandy Chance: 40%

Sandy was a fairly popular pick in 1, even if her being in before the likes of Squidward and Krabs raised a few eyebrows. (Which doesn't make a lot of sense since she kind of has a precedent of being playable before those two, but I digress.) Even if she's probably out, I can see some demand for her post-release, and since SpongeBob's probably getting at least 1 DLC fighter anyway, I give her decent odds of coming back.

Want: 50%

Not super attached. Seeing her revamped moveset could be nice, but the truth is I barely played as her in 1 and won't really feel her absence here. Still, she's an important and well-regarded character, so why not.

Lincoln Chance: 10%

Yeah he's probably out. The existence of two Loud House stages despite us only seeing one character is certainly odd, but at this point I'm expecting Lincoln to show up as a cameo on the new one like we saw with Helga. Beyond that, I don't see much demand for him to return post-launch (even though the Lincoln fans decided to start existing when they realized he probably isn't in), and if corporate armor isn't enough to save him, probably nothing will.

The Loud House means nothing to me. Next.

Leo and Mikey Chance: 40%

These are already probably THE most hotly contested cuts due to people wanting all four Turtles in the same game. The demand for them to return post-launch is already there, so I'm absolutely sure the devs will notice if they somehow haven't already. Whether they'll respond to the demand, I'm not entirely sure. They seem to be doubling down on the "visual variety" thing from 1, so that might be their excuse to keep the Turtle roster down to two. We'll see what happens, but I could see these guys showing up in a possible Season 2 or something.

Want: 50%

Didn't like these guys much in 1, but I do wanna see them back if only so people can stop ******** about them.

Shredder Chance: 20%

The villains thing is mostly so they can have bad guys for the Story Mode, which probably won't factor into any DLC picks unless they add new story routes along with them. Other than that, Shredder's inclusion was one of the least celebrated in 1 and people really didn't like his moveset much, plus he isn't seen as part of an essential group like the Turtles are. It doesn't help that the devs didn't even wanna add him the first time, aiming for Rocksteady instead. He could show up, but I'm not optimistic.

Want: 30%

I forget this guy's even in NASB most of the time. He'd be fine, but I'd rather the devs put time and resources into resolving the ever-present Turtle debacle.

Powdered Toastman Chance: 15%

F. We already know basically for a fact that he's out of the base roster, and while people do like PTM, demand for him will likely be eclipsed by veterans who are seen as more "obligatory." The devs could like him enough to spring for him again, but the truth is that between newcomers and more popular veterans, Toastman's simply going to be crowded out. Love to be wrong, though.

Want: 90%

Literally the face that got me into NASB1. Obligatory picks be damned, a superhero with a head made of toast got me into the game. Even if I didn't play him much the first time around, I'd love to see him back for how they revamp his toolkit, especially now that Tigre has shine.

Oblina Chance: 30%

With her presumed absence, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is one of two NASB series left completely unrepresented in NASB2. On the bright side, this means there's virtually no chance of her being relegated to a stage cameo in the base game, and while stage cameos don't deconfirm, the lack of one may make her return more likely. However, the fact of the matter is her and her show are pretty obscure these days, and even if it does get a character post-launch, they could pull a Turtles and add another main character like Ickis or Krumm instead. This is very much a "we'll see" for me.

Want: 80%

Oblina's moveset was lowkey one of the most fun in NASB1, and I think a real hole will be left in the roster with her exclusion. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I'd love to see her return.

Helga: 5%

We've already seen Helga as a stage cameo, and as we're all too aware, we're getting two more Hey Arnold picks in the base roster, neither of which are Arnold. That means that even if Hey Arnold gets another character in DLC, demand will be split between Arnold and Helga. She wasn't one of the most celebrated picks in NASB1, with a lot of people hurling a lot of the same criticism Gerald's receiving her way, while Arnold's been one of the underdogs of roster spec since game 1. I give her even worse odds than Lincoln, to be honest.

Want: 20%

Helga was the most "there" pick of NASB1 for me. I respect the devs' decision to add who they like and not just who "makes sense," but... eh?

Toph Chance: 50%

An INCREDIBLY popular pick to the point that you have people crying out in droves that they won't buy if Toph isn't in the game. Toph's probably gonna be the most demanded veteran to return other than the Turtles and maybe CatDog, and seeing how the devs liked her enough to go out of the series' "order" to add her last time, I can see them caving to the demand.

Want: 30%

I didn't like her moveset much in 1, but who knows? Maybe she'll be better here.

Hugh Chance: 60%

Probably the most baffling cut in a lot of people's opinion. Hugh was added straight-up due to fan outcry last time, and relegating him to a Story Mode NPC this time is already seen by many as a dumb move. As such, I expect demand for him will be LOUD for DLC. He doesn't even have to worry about people moaning about him being in before Jimmy. A lot of people would be willing to pay for Hugh again, myself included.

Even if I didn't end up liking Hugh's moveset in 1, I really did want him and Jimbo to be in the same game. With that on top of his devoted fanbase, he should just be here. Get him in!

CatDog Chance: 80%

If any veteran comes back as DLC, it's gonna be CatDog. They were easily the most celebrated inclusion of NASB1, and their absence is already being felt here. They also won't have to worry about being a stage cameo like Oblina (unless CatDog has a standalone stage for some reason). I could see CatDog being axed from the base roster for time constraints due to how time- and resource-intensive their stance gimmick is and being saved for DLC. I feel like most of the playerbase would pay to have these guys back, and I think the devs know that.

My first main when I had no one else. I thought CatDog were decently fun in NASB1, and I'd love to see them do their gimmick justice this time. Plus, their stage was one of the better ones. Let's get 'em back!

Catscratch Prediction: 25%
The demand is there for these guys, but Nickelodeon seems to not even remember they exist, plus they'd have to go through Doug TenNapel, who's notoriously a ****. We'll see about this one.

Noms to Mr. Horse

Like we all said back in the Sword and Shield prerelease in protest of Game Freak's terrible decisions: every character is someone's favorite.
I honestly kinda hate this as an argument. Yes, statistically, every character is someone's favorite, but that doesn't mean every character's inclusion is equally valid or that we should never have cuts. People used this rhetoric to justify being toxic during the whole Dexit debacle, which was way overblown. (It's also an argument people use as a reason why Smash should never have cuts, even for objectively unpopular characters like Corrin whose inclusions have aged like fine milk.)
Cuts are not an intrinsic bad. Even if you lose a favorite, they can lead to something good.
Still, there's a difference between just a few cuts (like 4 or 5) and half of the last game's roster with skewed priorities mixed in, especially when some of those characters have slimt-to-no chances of coming back in future entries. They knew they had to rework everything, they shouldn't have gunned for so many newcomers. Alongside that, how do we even know we'll get veterans as DLC?

There's also a difference between big, seasoned franchises with huge accumulated casts (which have basically no choice if you aren't Smash) and a brand new one going between its first and second entries.

Either way, I'd love to see some of the cut veterans as down the line updates or DLC, I just feel that 11 is way too many, even for a studio under a tighter budget. And the game could easily reach new heights without needing to crack so many eggs. A simple Squid/Jimmy/Turtles/Vlad newcomer lineup for base game, alongside all of the improvements, would've absolutely brought people in.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just believe that you can have your cake and eat it too.
Street Fighter 3 literally cut every character from Street Fighter 2 besides Ken and Ryu. Granted, Akuma and Chun-Li came back in later releases, but that still left icons like Zangief and Bison out of the fray. People still love that game, and 3rd Strike's even a lot of people's favorite due to the cool new characters and how differently it plays. Food for thought.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
People used this rhetoric to justify being toxic during the whole Dexit debacle,
People are upset because there's been less and less effort put into Pokemon over time, and features continue to disappear in every game. Not including a fundamental aspect of Pokemon is the straw that broke the camel's back. And don't even get me started on Scarlet and Violet's issues. people weren't toxic for the sake of being toxic, people were upset for legitimate reasons, and vitriol only grew as the shills began to demonize them.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
People are upset because there's been less and less effort put into Pokemon over time, and features continue to disappear in every game. Not including a fundamental aspect of Pokemon is the straw that broke the camel's back. And don't even get me started on Scarlet and Violet's issues. people weren't toxic for the sake of being toxic, people were upset for legitimate reasons, and vitriol only grew as the shills began to demonize them.
I won't get into Dexit because this simply isn't the thread for it, but all I'll say is referring to people who disagree with you as shills never makes your cause look good.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Either way, Gen 8 sucked until Arceus.
I thought Sword and Shield were decent for what they were. Not great, but not the most offensive thing on Earth like some seem to think. Arceus was a lot better, but I probably won't go back to it due to the lack of battles. Scarlet and Violet hit that sweetspot of exploration and battling for me, though I do lament that it somehow runs worse than Garfield Kart.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I thought Sword and Shield were decent for what they were. Not great, but not the most offensive thing on Earth like some seem to think. Arceus was a lot better, but I probably won't go back to it due to the lack of battles. Scarlet and Violet hit that sweetspot of exploration and battling for me, though I do lament that it somehow runs worse than Garfield Kart.

Fair, it was a mediocre game with a lot of baggage behind it. I actually have several hundred hours in Arceus since I'm a shiny hunter XD

I was definitely more optimistic about Gen 9 as a whole, though it shows that Game Freak needs more time to develop these games.

Ooooh, boy. We're talking about the cut veterans this time around. I'm just going to get my Want score out of the way first, because it's the easiest to think about.

Veterans, Come Home!
If there's ever a day I don't want cuts, it's when one of the "hated Nicktoons" gets a slot, like Sanjay and Craig or Breadwinners. These guys and gals in particular? I shall defend their rights to my grave.

The Nicktoons Footlong
Chance: 50%
I tend to have a protagonist-first sort of mindset when it comes to crossover fighting games. If not the protagonist, then at least get the face of the franchise. To me, Lincoln Loud is both the protagonist AND the face of The Loud House, no matter how often it changes. As such, I doubt Lincoln would be cut for very long.

Shredded Turtles
Chances:
Leo and Mikey: 75%
If we still don't have all four of the TMNT by the third game's announcement, do they really deserve to be Nickelodeon all-stars?

Shredder: 40%
I haven't cared enough to look up the leaks myself, but based on the focus on villains, I have a feeling that Shredder might have to sit this one out.

Sea-cret Squirrel
Chance: 25%
I hate to put Sandy Cheeks this low on the chance list, but even I think there's a net gain in favor of Squidward and Plankton getting in over her.

She-Hulk of Ba Sing Se
Like I said, all we'd really see changed is the element our Avatar newcomer bends. From a basic gameplay standpoint, at least, which is the main criteria we're looking at.

Two-Headed Fur Ball
Chance: 70%
It's a dang crying shame that we lost CatDog in all this, as I directly remember them being used as part of LimeTH LimeTH 's anti-duo rant on Daggett and Norbert Beaver. And really, if they're off the table, then my headcanon is that's the last straw for a constantly put-upon CatDog. Especially Cat.

Banana Duck Pie
Chance: 55%
I'm as shocked as the next guy that Hugh Neutron wasn't here. He was propelled past his own son due to fan demand, and you're just throwing him away? Throwing away a DLC fighter, no less? Yeah, I'm putting him as high as humanly possible.

POWDERED TOAST MAN
Chance: 25%
Unfortunately, I'm not hungry for Powdered Toast this time around.

Aaahh!!! No Monsters
Take what I said about CatDog, and barring a few tweaks, apply that to Oblina. Rinse and repeat.

And based on all that has happened, I have a few notes:
  • We should have waited until this year to get the first game.
  • There's trolling the audience, and then there's this.
  • This is a certified Adventure Time Moment for Nick.
Predictions:
Catscratch Trio: 10% - After what we've had to deal with from this series? I doubt they'd get in anytime soon.

Abstain on the Nominations, because I'm tired.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Life is pain
Chance: 1% (for any and all of then)
Honestly, I think I'm still being too optimistic with my score here. Obviously, none of these guys are in the base game, that ship sailed long ago. Actually, that's not quite right, a lot of them are in the base game, but with non-playable roles like being in the background of stages, or being non-playable characters in the story mode, or, in the case of Shredder, being a Boss Battle. (No, really.) But what about DLC? Well, we not gonna get any of them for free and anyone who still thinks so is delusional. (Feel free to quote this post in the future if I'm wrong.) So that just leaves the Season Pass, and I don't see it happening. I just feel like the pass is gonna focus on brand new characters to the series. (Also that's what the insiders are saying and I have no choice but to believe them.)

Want: 100% (for any and all of them)
While admittedly, there are some characters I care more about more than others, I'd still like to see them all come back eventually. It sucks that some perfectly good characters are just gonna be stuck only being playable in an inferior game. Guess we'll just have to wait for Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 3, assuming they won't have to restart from scratch a third time due to the Unity engine becoming unusable.

Catscratch prediction: 5%
Noms: The Amazing Kreskin x30

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
assuming they won't have to restart from scratch a third time due to the Unity engine becoming unusable.
I hope they still have the raw models and animations to reuse.

Honestly it was kinda overkill to scrap all their work for NASB2 anyway, they probably could've gotten away with slight model touchups, adding the moves that need to be added for NASB2's gameplay, and remaking any repeat ground/air moves, with the only major overhaul being Danny to rework how his face works.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sandy
Chance: 22.66%
Want: 58.33%

Lincoln Loud
Chance: 30.16%
Want: 82%

Michelangelo/Leonardo
Chance: 45.2%
Want: 90%

Helga
Chance: 15.2%
Want: 86.66%

Toph
Chance: 32.2%
Want: 88.33%

CatDog
Chance: 50.2%
Want: 94%

Powdered Toast Man
Chance: 10.16%
Want: 81.66%

Hugh Neutron
Chance: 19.33%
Want: 80%

Oblina
Chance: 25.26%
Want: 81.66%

Shredder
Chance: 37.66%
Want: 88.33%

We'll have to do this again at some point after the game releases.

DAY OVER

Rate Catscratch Trio

Predict Mr. Horse

A Mansion! Cars! Life's a kick! Catscratch!
Gordon, Waffle, and Mr. Blik, also known as the Catscratch Trio, are three cats who inherit a fortune from their deceased owner. What follows is probably what Edgar from The Aristocats would have feared, a comparison I am surprised I just now made.

However, despite the potential of the three felines, I think there is some competition with the likes of Otis, Reggie Rocket, Snap, Miko Kubota, and Tak in terms of unrepped Nicktoons. I'm pretty sure CatDog and Oblina count as additional competition now.

Want: 75%
Truth be told, there's enough you can do with all three of them separately, or you can just make Mr. Blik the sole Catscratch rep. However, it would be in character if Hovis was Nickelodeon's equivalent to Red and/or Leaf, which gives a point in favor of making them a trio. Hey, if the Angry Beavers can fight like Pyra and Mythra, then Mr. Blik can be Charizard.

Nominations:
Concept: One cut veteran returns x25
Ronnie Anne Santiago x10
Doug Funnie x5
Sky Whale (Game Shakers) x5
Swiper (Dora the Explorer) x5

Predictions:
Mr. Horse: 50% - Honestly, it's split between bringing Powdered Toast Man back or making Mr. Horse a newcomer. They're both iconic to Ren and Stimpy as a whole, and who can forget his catchphrase?

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Is this thread toast?
No, Powdered Toast Man was cut.
But really though, yeah, this thread was kinda doomed from the start. The entire base game roster was leaked less than a week after the game was announced, and now we already know the DLC characters because they're on-disc DLC. There's nothing left to speculate anymore.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'll continue the game if we get word (or even a hint) that more DLC or updates are coming past the first season. If this happens, we'll rerate the cut vets (I know you guys are probably sick of it, but given that we now know they're absolutely not in, alongside fan opinion of them and reusable assets in-game, it'll be an accurate score for the leaderboard), and then pick up right where we left off, maybe rerate a few characters like Otis and Snap as well.

Top Bottom