• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm not trying to attack FE, I'm just going by the facts. It's a good series if you enjoy RPG strategy games. But I don't understand the expectations some have for it that just aren't supported by its position relative to other series.
If Sakurai decides the amount of characters per series by sales, then I'll be irritated/offended. That's not a good way to make a good roster.
Well, we already can say that it's related to sales to a fair extent. Mathematically, the correlation is there. But correlation is not the same as causation. I think popularity is the true factor... They want characters that will please the fans.

Now, would you be "offended" if it were based on popularity? The thing is, sales and popularity are highly correlated. A game can't be that popular if nobody is willing to buy it. So popularity and Nintendo's bottom line are tied together.

Not only does Fire Emblem have lower overall sales than some other series with 2 or 3 characters, but it isn't even that impressive in terms of average sales per game.

I'll be annoyed if Sakurai puts 4 FE characters in, because I'll have rather seen characters from either new series (Xenoblade, Golden Sun, retro) or the series that I enjoy more which are also mostly much higher selling (DK, Zelda, Mario, Metroid).
I'm pulling for DK getting 4 characters as well as Fire Emblem. But for Metroid, there just isn't a 4th character left that has earned Smash Bros.
My point was only that they both only have 2 characters, despite having significantly higher sales, and by implication, significantly more popularity.
[yada yada]
And I didn't even go in-depth on the lords...
I wasn't talking about how many characters have potential. I've heard enough about Fire Emblem to know about that.

The thing is: I don't care about any of them. To people who aren't Fire Emblem fans, they're just random Fire Emblem characters who are not interesting except for their designs and movesets. To people who aren't fans, they'd rather see characters they know and like. Other series are more popular, hence Sakurai would probably prefer to put in characters from series that will please more people, or that aren't currently represented, etc.

I don't mean that as an insult, as I said. I'm just not into FE, so I don't have a connection to most of its characters. I'm just stating the facts. Sakurai is not trying to only please FE fans, he also has to think about the fans of other games, people who mostly aren't FE fans.
Fire Emblem is a lot like Pokemon. And a lot of people right now are saying Pokemon should have 6 reps (while Mario should stay at 5). Why? Same reasons. The amount of deserving characters.
Yeah, I really doubt it's primarily based on the size of Pokemon's cast.

Pokemon has over 230 million in lifetime sales. Pokemon is huge, it's way more popular than Fire Emblem. Pokemon X & Y, in the past 6 months, have sold more copies than the entire Fire Emblem series has sold in 24 years of existing. You think it's just the fact that there are a lot of Pokemon that there are people wanting lots of Pokemon characters to be in the game? Like people are looking over the list of Pokemon and going "Hey, there's a lot of potential here. I don't care about Pokemon per se, but they have so many cool designs they should put more of them in just because of that."

No, it's because it's just so hugely popular. People want more Pokemon in the game because the fandom is so large that the fans of a character like Jigglypuff (who, to be honest, isn't THAT important anymore) can easily outnumber the fans of lesser series. If it were as popular as Fossil Fighters, do you think people would want that many Pokemon in the game? No. They'd be like "Pikachu is enough."

Mario is also gigantic (the biggest, in fact) but it's not as filled with viable characters, since it reuses the same cast over and over.
Seems like most people think that despite Pokemon being smaller than Mario, it's OK for it to have more characters.
- Fire Emblem having equal characters to DK, and more characters than Metroid, Kirby, and Starfox by 1
-Pokemon having more characters than Mario
Which of these 2 would stand out more on a roster to you? For me it's the 2nd, as the main 3 series are the most noticeable to me on any roster, and, while some may not know how important those series listed in the 1st are compared to each other, everybody knows Mario is Nintendo's biggest series, not Pokemon.
I think you're overestimating Fire Emblem's reach. Most people, even most Nintendo fans, have not played any, or at least not many Fire Emblem games. Most people are going to be like "I don't really know anything about Fire Emblem... so why does it have so many characters?" It would stick out. I really, really doubt that DK and Fire Emblem would get four characters.

Pokemon already had more characters than Mario last time, and while Pokemon may have fewer video game sales than Mario, it makes up for it by being a huge media empire. It's debatable which franchise is actually worth more when you take into account the card game, the TV shows and movies, etc. They're both worth in the billions of dollars. So no, it doesn't seem ridiculous for it to have more characters.
I think it's perfectly justifiable. And I think it's likelihood may be higher than you give it credit. There were supposed to be 3 in Brawl, which would be equal to Starfox and Kirby and more than DK and Metroid.
If you're going by plans, you shouldn't leave out the fact that Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda and Dr. Mario were planned too, and Mewtwo was the one with the most work done. It was not jumping ahead before the larger series.
And even though before Awakening things were looking bad for the series, it already has future plans (SMT crossover), so I'm not worried they're just going to stop making Fire Emblem games now. I don't think that's what regularly happens after a series has their most successful game.
My point was only that not so long ago it was almost a dead series. It gets a hit game* and it's suddenly one of Nintendo's most valuable properties? I doubt it. Why is it going to get treatment that puts it on level with Nintendo's biggest franchises?

As we've seen, there are plenty of candidates for playable characters, Fire Emblem is not the only game out there with interesting characters. Sakurai doesn't need to put in tons of Fire Emblem characters to get more interesting characters. He doesn't need to trawl FE's roster for more characters to add. The only reason to give FE four characters is if it is popular enough to warrant it, and it simply isn't.

*Note that a hit game here still means far fewer sales than a hit game for Nintendo's biggest series

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Chrom:
Chance: 75%.I think there is a possibility that NO new FE reps get in, but that does not mean Chrom is unlikely.
Want: 70% I think there are better FE reps, but Chrom would still be cool.
Batman Robin:
Chance: 10%. Only reason he is suggested is because people don't like Chrom.
Want: 20%. Remember when I said there are better reps for FE? He's not one of them. Even among avatar characters like Villager, Robin is a one-shot character at best.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
chrom - 45%
look at Pacack's post, add a little more that he saved the franchise and is impoartant. and done
want - 0%
all I care about is ike and marth, everyone else doesn't matter, but even then I still don't like the guy
robin - 7.25%
over much thought, I don't think he actually has much of a chance, only if IS doesn't want Lucina or chrom (their poster children) which is pretty unlikely in itself
want - 50%
look at chrom want score, expect remove the third part
issac - 47%
knowing this board, they'll think he'll get a major boost in score
Ray - 13.21%
what i'll think happen? absolutely nothing

Last edited:

CanadianSmasher1992

Smash Cadet
Chrom

Chance - 60%

I originally had him higher, but decided to lower his chances after really thinking about it. The fact that Sakurai had talked about wanting to include characters with unique movesets and considering that Chrom does seem repetitive, the more I visualize his exclusion. At first glance, he resembles Marth a lot (not to mention he also wields the Falchion, albeit different in design). But he has popularity going for him being one of the most popular Fire Emblem Lords and also ranking first in a Japanese poll about Fire Emblem: Awakening characters that was on the Nintendo-Japan website (
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html). I wouldn't be surprised if he was included, but I definitely wouldn't call him a shoo-in.

Want - 40%

He seems pretty cool, but Marth is already in and Ike is one of my favourite characters from Brawl. I don't know if I really want the only playable characters from Fire Emblem to be three blue-haired swordsmen, even if Chrom had a distinguishable moveset.

Robin

Chance - 40%

I have a strong feeling we will have a FE newcomer and it will be one of these two. One of the main reasons for Robin's inclusion would be the variety that he/she could provide as a non-blue haired swordsmen from FE. The inclusion of Villager also shows that Sakurai is willing to put "Avatar-ish" characters in SSB4. However, he/she isn't as popular as Chrom considering in the above poll, he/she ranked behind Chrom, Owain and Lucina.

Want - 50%

I'd actually rather have Hector or Anna if we could get a third FE newcomer. Robin's okay. I never actually played FE: Awakening so I feel a bit neutral in regards to her.

PREDICTIONS
ISAAC: 60%
RAY - 20%

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
chrom - 45%
look at Pacack's post, add a little more that he saved the franchise and is impoartant. and done
want - 0%
all I care about is ike and marth, everyone else doesn't matter, but even then I still don't like the guy
robin - 7.25%
over much thought, I don't think he actually has much of a chance, only if IS doesn't want Lucina or chrom (their poster children) which is pretty unlikely in itself
want - 50%
look at chrom want score, expect remove the third part
issac - 47%
knowing this board, they'll think he'll get a major boost in score
Ray - 13.21%
what i'll think happen? absolutely nothing
Considering that those chances only add up to a 52.25% chance of us getting a Fire Emblem newcomer, do you think Roy/Lucina/Anna/someone else has a good chance as well, or are you just a lot less confident in a Fire Emblem newcomer than most?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Chrom
40% chance
20% want
Muh recentcy and Gematsu. Bland!

Robin
60% chance
100% want
Main character, unique.

On phone

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Considering that those chances only add up to a 52.25% chance of us getting a Fire Emblem newcomer, do you think Roy/Lucina/Anna/someone else has a good chance as well, or are you just a lot less confident in a Fire Emblem newcomer than most?
Roy gets an 5
Lucina gets an 12
Anna gets an 5.75
everyone else probably just a drop dead zero
all that equals to 75% that's is as likely as I see a newcomer, I see them getting a good chance, buts its not garneted.
I say its most likely just marth and ike, with a coin toss for chrom, which a very lowly chance of Lucina,
also just to be clear my thinking is that if they have a 5% chance means that they bare minimum of being considered, still in the competition and in the running but at most at the bottom (anything under that I believe has no chance)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Roy gets an 5
Lucina gets an 12
Anna gets an 5.75
everyone else probably just a drop dead zero
all that equals to 75% that's is as likely as I see a newcomer, I see them getting a good chance, buts its not garneted.
I say its most likely just marth and ike, with a coin toss for chrom, which a very lowly chance of Lucina,
also just to be clear my thinking is that if they have a 5% chance means that they bare minimum of being considered, still in the competition and in the running but at most at the bottom (anything under that I believe has no chance)
Interesting. I'm personally much more confident in a Fire Emblem newcomer, but I could see how someone could feel that way.

What would you consider the odds of Ike being cut, if I may ask?

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I noticed a lot of people mentioning that Marth and Chrom use the same sword. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their ratings but I feel this needs to be pointed out. The Falchion has changed appearances multiple times throughout FE, it does not appear to have a canon design. Just compare the "tiny Falchion" with the traditional handle that Marth uses in SSB to the "giant Falchion" with the tear drop shaped handle that Chrom uses in Awakening. They are two completely different Swords in both size and shape that are similar in name only.

I'm not saying it helps Chrom's chances, again it's just something that needs to be pointed out.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Interesting. I'm personally much more confident in a Fire Emblem newcomer, but I could see how someone could feel that way.

What would you consider the odds of Ike being cut, if I may ask?
25%
noted and possible but very unlikely from the data of veterans of what we know of.
though if he does get cut, I think we all can assume a newcomer is a given

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I noticed a lot of people mentioning that Marth and Chrom use the same sword. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their ratings but I feel this needs to be pointed out. The Falchion has changed appearances multiple times throughout FE, it does not appear to have a cannon design. Just compare the "tiny Falchion" with the traditional handle that Marth uses in SSB to the "giant Falchion" with the tear drop shaped handle that Chrom uses in Awakening. They are two completely different Swords in both size and shape that are similar in name only.

I'm not saying it helps Chrom's chances, again it's just something that needs to be pointed out.
Actually, in Fire Emblem canon, Marth and Chrom's falchions are the same blade, simply reforged. The original was made with a fang of Naga and it apparently needed repair at some point, leading to it becoming Fire Emblem Awakening's version. So, yes, it actually is the same sword.

25%
noted and possible but very unlikely from the data of veterans of what we know of.
though if he does get cut, I think we all can assume a newcomer is a given
Thanks. I enjoy hearing your point of view.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Chrom

Chance 70%

It's looking good since he's likely to replace Ike for one but the only road block is lucina due to her being more popular in japan but the biggest thing is a hint from the direct

Want 90%

Looks like he can get a cool moveset

No comment on robin I npdon't know him

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Chrom: 30%
Want: 1%
Robin:
Alright, here's my full opinion: I see a few potential ways this can go. First, Sakurai, unlike the previous two games, doesn't take any recommendations from IS. If this is the case, I see Roy as the frontrunner here, with Chrom and Lucina being potential, but unlikely options and dark horses. I don't really see Sakurai taking Robin in this scenario over either Chrom, Lucina, or Roy. Scenario 2 is where Sakurai does go to IS. Lucina and Chrom, being the two posted characters for Awakening in Japan and the West respectively both have an around equal chance of being recommended. Roy takes a dark horse slot in this scenario, but possible if the once hinted FE6 remake is a thing, but that's doubtful. Robin here takes the position of a true out of left field pick. I don't think IS would really choose Robin over a much more marketable and popular Chrom/Lucina. Even Roy has an advantage over Robin in this scenario. That being said, I do think a FE newcomer is near guaranteed. So, if I put that at around a 95%, here's my breakdown. Keep in mind I give around a 35% chance of Scenario A and a 60% Chance of Scenario B

Roy: 30% (Scenario A (SA) 25%, Scenario B (SB) 5%
Chrom: 30% (SA 5%, SB 25%)
Lucina: 30% (SA 5%, SB 25%)
Robin: 5% (SA 0%, SB 5%)

Want: 0%
To be honest, I find the character vastly overrated and overhyped on here.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Chrom
Chance: 65%
Want: 50%

Robin
Chance: 25%
Want: 95%

These two characters are, IMO, 2 sides of the same coin. On one side, we have the tried and tested Chrom. Up until this point, all FE additions have been Marth plus the newest lord. It seems to be a pattern that we can follow. Chrom is popular, hes well known and recognized, and is very relevant. Hes in a very good position to be added this time around. The Sal leak also doesnt hurt, seeing as we cant disprove it at this time. The one thing against Chrom is our definition of uniqueness, which we have no evidence of him being a bland character, although I will not deny that his potential to be unique seems to be lacking. I for one will be happy to see any FE character added in.

Now then there is Robin. Chrom is certainly more likely, and his chances are only fortified from all the evidence we have been given. Robin is the dark horse. He, arguably, has a more important role in Awakening and the avatar characters seem to be getting some love this time around. He/she has a default appearance, or hooded, take your pick, so a Robin image isnt hard to decide upon. Robin also has more potential to be unique, there are simply more tools at his/her disposal.

By adding Chrom into the game, were introducing something called redundancy. I have no doubts in my mind that Chrom will be unique if he is indeed added. However, the real question is do we really need another character like this? I mean, up to this point, we have only gotten lords who are, more or less, the same personality copy and pasted. They fight for honor, justice, and of course, their friends. It may be time for FE to get something new, something different from the status quo. Robin would be the perfect fit, being a hybrid caster/swordwielder.

At this point, all signs point to Chrom. While he is definitely the underdog, I would like to quote Chrom on this one, and say "Anything can change!" He is not out for the count, and I do think that his potential for uniqueness will have an impact on his consideration, not to mention his potential status as a villain type character or female.

Predictions
Isaac: 42.3%
Ray: 9.4%

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Aw, missed yesterday. Although I guess most people said what I would say, so it didn't make a difference ^^

Chrom
Chances - 70%
I have some certainty that there is some truth to the Sal leak, and the fact that Chrom is in it makes me anticipate his arrival more than I used to. Also, like I waver back between K. Rool and Dixie, I tend to go back and forth when it comes to the chances of Chrom and Robin, and right now Chrom just seems considerably more likely. So, couple those two factors, particularly the leak, and I am giving him this score

Want - 50%
I want an awakening rep, but the idea of Robin is sooo much more appealing that Chrom being confirmed over her will be a bit of a downer. Along with the idea of three blue haired lords representing the huge and diverse cast of Fire Emblem. I would even prefer Lucina.
That said, I'm really hoping the moveset he potentially receives is more of a love letter to awakening than just swinging around of the sword, which we already have plenty of.

Robin
Chances - 15%
I would normally consider Robin, Chrom and Lucina to each have a third of a chance at being in this game, but now with Chrom having a solid 70%, I see the last 30% as split between Robin and Lucina.

Want - 100%
This is my favorite possibility for a Fire Emblem rep. It would actually go a long way in properly representing Fire Emblem, with magic and a possible stance moveset based on weapons in the series. Also, I grew considerably attached to my Fire Emblem avatar and loved how huge she was to the story of the game, so there is a sense of sadness in Chrom having a better chance.
I actually feel like wanting Robin is alone the reason why I would want the Sal leak to be wrong (Yes, I prefer to have Miis than to have Chrom and no Robin)

Prediction:
Isaac - 43%
Smashboards does like Isaac a lot, but I figure some see Shulk as keeping his chances down.
Ray - 10%
Realistically they should be low but above 10%. It is a series that's not represented, but ... it's not a huge series. If the world is fair, he should be lower than Andy, imo.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Chrom

Chance: 70%
Want: 45% I really just see him as another blue haired swordsman when it comes to Smash Bros.

Robin

Chance: 50%
Want: 80% She has so much potential to be unique.

Predictions:

Issac: 35%
Ray: 5%

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
i am alive

Chrom: 45%
Pretty much unaffected by the Direct.

Want: 15%
Chrom is still really uninteresting.

Robin: 35%
See above

Want: 70%
I like the My Unit characters in FE12 and 13. If you know what you're doing, they easily become the most broken characters in the game. They aren't ever restricted to swords, either, which gives them an even greater degree of uniqueness from most FE Lords.

Isaac prediction: 39.89%
Ray prediction: 33.44%

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Chrom

Chance:
80%
Want: 80%
There's so much hate for this guy that it's not even funny anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing his inclusion in the new Smash.

Robin

Chance:
30%
Want: 80%
I can't choose between these two. Don't make me do it!

Predictions:

Isaac: 40%
Ray: 5%

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I don't want Groose to close the day in thirty seconds and my ratings not count, so:
Chrom - 91%
Want - 100%

Robin - 19%
Want - 45%

I will give a detailed explanation on tomorrow's day.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Chrom Chance: 99% Salromano leak seals the deal for me. Made me realize that he's just looking for great Nintendo characters, and he's just looking for characters that have good diversity and moveset potential.
Chrom Want: 80% Yeah, I used to be against him before the leak, I relied way too much on uniqueness (so has everyone else), so yeah, it may take a while to like him again.

Robin Chance: 5% Lower than last time, because I'm sure FE will only get one new character.

Last edited:

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Chrom
Chance: 85%
I think he's got a lot going for him and I guess he has some moveset potential by combining swordplay with a javelin.
Want: 75%
I really liked Fire Emblem Awakening and although Chrom in particular isn't really as interesting, I think Sakurai can create a great moveset for him.

Robin
Chance: 10%
I think Chrom and perhaps even Anna have more chance of getting in.
Want: 70%
It would be pretty awesome if you could import your avatar from FEA, only thing I don't like is that Robin doesn't have a lot of personality.

Groose

Smash Champion
Because of all of the site issues we had yesterday (I couldn't get in at all!), I'll be waiting into this evening to lock this day down. Also, I still haven't finalized my Fire Emblem projections! :laugh:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom time!

Want: 100%
I own his support thread. :p

Chances: 95%

I honestly see him as the likeliest newcomer not named Palutena, Pac-Man, or King K. Rool. Between him often being promoted by Intelligent Systems, being the more marketable of the two main characters in his game (sorry, Robin), and having the option of having some cool playstyles with the Exalted Falchion, I see Chrom as a near shoo-in at this point. Chrom's like a good wine, I think. He becomes better and more likely with age to some people. :awesome:

Potential Playstyles:
Stance-Switcher (using the Exalted Falchion and the Spear)
Draining character (using Exalted Falchion's Aether/healing factor)
Rush-Down with some range (utilizes a sword/gets much more in-your-face due to his brash nature)

Just a few ideas.

And the Sal leak.

Nominating Dixie Kong x5

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Chrom -
Chance: 80%
Want: 20%
He's in the Sal leak, a FE: Awakening stage has been shown off, and he follows the Marth plus newest lord tradition.

I'm not to big on Chrom myself though. I know there's plenty of ways for him to become unique but design wise he's very similar to Marth and even shares the same weapon. That and the Smash series has plenty of sword fighters already IMO.

Chance: 15%
Want: 30%
I don't see FE getting another character alongside Chrom unless Ike gets cut and Chrom takes his old move-set, which I really don't see happening. My Unit would definitely be more refreshing over Chrom, but suffers from a lack of a defined design from being a player created character. Villager is the same way, but he's been around longer and is much more iconic.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
What really bothers me is that when rating, everyone is saying "It seems we get the newest FE character each time" but there have only been TWO games with Fire Emblem characters so there shouldn't be a pattern established! Also, when it comes to "He only chooses Marth and the newest Lord, no more than the two" Roy was cut due to time and Fire Emblem was supposed to have THREE characters. Please don't consider so called "patterns" because with only three games, I really doubt that there is a pattern too them.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
What really bothers me is that when rating, everyone is saying "It seems we get the newest FE character each time" but there have only been TWO games with Fire Emblem characters so there shouldn't be a pattern established! Also, when it comes to "He only chooses Marth and the newest Lord, no more than the two" Roy was cut due to time and Fire Emblem was supposed to have THREE characters. Please don't consider so called "patterns" because with only three games, I really doubt that there is a pattern too them.
I'm not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but I never said FE was only getting 2 characters. I stated I really don't see Ike getting cut which would be Marth, Ike, and Chrom (3 characters and anymore than that being unlikely). As for the pattern, Marth has been in every Smash title since Melee and if you believe the Sal leak then every FE newcomer besides Marth has been the latest lord from the series. The fact that Roy was cut from Brawl has no bearing on that as even if he would have made it in, Brawl's FE newcomer (Ike) was still the latest lord.

So essentially the pattern is Marth is a guarantee and the FE newcomer is always the latest lord. It's doesn't mean the previous game's lord will be cut.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
True, it's hard to determine an actual pattern in the games when there's been so few of them. However, receiving a character from the latest Fire Emblem game is not only a pattern we've seen, but it's also the most logical way to add characters from the franchise. When the cast of characters is constantly being changed out for new ones, there aren't many recurring characters who would be suitable for Smash. So, adding in a character from the latest game makes the most sense as it promotes the game and would be recognizable to recent fans of that installment. Although I agree with you when you say that it's not necessary to cut out characters like Ike just because they aren't the most recent.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'm not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but I never said FE was only getting 2 characters. I stated I really don't see Ike getting cut which would be Marth, Ike, and Chrom (3 characters and anymore than that being unlikely). As for the pattern, Marth has been in every Smash title since Melee and if you believe the Sal leak then every FE newcomer besides Marth has been the latest lord from the series. The fact that Roy was cut from Brawl has no bearing on that as even if he would have made it in, Brawl's FE newcomer (Ike) was still the latest lord.

So essentially the pattern is Marth is a guarantee and the FE newcomer is always the latest lord. It's doesn't mean the previous game's lord will be cut.
I was talking about the posts I saw earlier in this thread not yours. But yeah I get what you guys mean.

D

Deleted member

There are recurring Fire Emblem characters, but they each have their own problems.

Tiki was confirmed a trophy, she's an awkward character to implement as she fights almost exclusively as a dragon. Transformations were cut, so a workable moveset now seems impossible.

Anna appears in nearly every game, but is not that well-known and doesn't lend herself to a particularly interesting moveset. She can use staves, swords and is a sneaky thief in her playable appearance, but it's nothing that stands out.

Marth and Ike are the only recurring playable lords and both are in Smash already. I imagine Chrom will become the next recurring main character lord after the huge success of Awakening, that's why he'll get into Smash over Robin or Lucina. Although some others did appear in later games or even as playable, only the blue-haired lords get to stay in the protagonist role over multiple games.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Marth and Ike are the only recurring playable lords and both are in Smash already. I imagine Chrom will become the next recurring main character lord after the huge success of Awakening, that's why he'll get into Smash over Robin or Lucina. Although some others did appear in later games or even as playable, only the blue-haired lords get to stay in the protagonist role over multiple games.
That's kind of hard to determine at this point. It's certainly plausible, perhaps likely, but we don't know what the future of Fire Emblem holds. On top of that, if Chrom were to appear as a main character in a future installment, who's to say that Robin or Lucina wouldn't appear alongside him? It's just kind of an unknown at this point.

As a side note, Marth and Ike had recurring roles before debuting in Smash. A Fire Emblem Awakening character would not.

D

Deleted member

@ False Sense False Sense True, true, but look at Greninja for example, and remember that IS was involved in deciding the Fire Emblem characters in Melee, not sure about Brawl. I can see them recommending Chrom over the other two, especially for the sake of advertisement if a new game is in the works. Robin is cool and all, but in terms of the product, he's simply not visible enough.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
@ False Sense False Sense True, true, but look at Greninja for example, and remember that IS was involved in deciding the Fire Emblem characters in Melee, not sure about Brawl. I can see them recommending Chrom over the other two, especially for the sake of advertisement if a new game is in the works. Robin is cool and all, but in terms of the product, he's simply not visible enough.
Couldn't the same be said for Greninja? I mean, his existence wasn't even officially revealed until after X and Y were released. He certainly wasn't used at all for advertisement for the game or anything like that. Why is this an issue for Robin? After all, he still promotes Awakening, regardless of whether or not he was advertised more.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Chrom? Yes Sir!!! 99% Sure he's making it. 1 more % and I'd bowl over
But I do 100% want him in

As for Robin, eh, 2%
Just Chrom is good enough for me.

D

Deleted member

Couldn't the same be said for Greninja? I mean, his existence wasn't even officially revealed until after X and Y were released. He certainly wasn't used at all for advertisement for the game or anything like that. Why is this an issue for Robin? After all, he still promotes Awakening, regardless of whether or not he was advertised more.
The thing is that Greninja has potential in the future to be marketable, as a concept, Robin simply can't be - the true difference is that Chrom is already the central figure of Awakening, while Greninja is waiting in the wings.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The thing is that Greninja has potential in the future to be marketable, as a concept, Robin simply can't be - the true difference is that Chrom is already the central figure of Awakening, while Greninja is waiting in the wings.
Actually, that's not entirely true...

Robin can be marketed, and in fact already has been. Not nearly as much as Chrom, but he has been used for advertisements. It's not impossible. And theoretically, if Robin did appear in Smash, whatever appearance they use could gain popularity and recognizability to the point where it could be used for advertisements.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Adding to that, Robin may have a customizable face, but that signature robe thing is distinctly recognizable.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Marth and Ike are the only recurring playable lords and both are in Smash already..
Technically Roy is recurring (though his second appearance is as a baby), but he's also playable in a Smash game so I guess your point remains valid. Eliwood, Hector and (double playable) Leif however...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom