• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the last game you finished!

Zip.

Smash Lord
Not entirely sure if there's another thread for this or not

rate the last game you finished, however you want!

Also write a bit on how you feel about the game as well.

i'll start.

Final Fantasy X 8/10

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I finished Katawa Shoujo back at the beginning March and it was pretty damn incredible. I'd probably give it a 4/5 for being well written, thought-provoking and having very complex and memorable characters. The only reason why I won't give it a perfect score is because the amount of choices you get drop drastically after Act 1 and a few of the sex scenes, while normally tastefully handled, are jarring as all hell and sometimes feel very out of character for the participants. Plus I'm still on the fence if I consider VNs closer to games or books.

I'm nearly finished with FFXHD. I would have finished it back in late March/early April but finals and work and FFXIV got in the way. The redesigned menus are great, I actually really like the remixed sound track and the game play has actually aged very, very well. I think I actually prefer the more traditional and tactical approach the game takes to turn based battles over the ATB utilized by most of the other games in the series. I will say this, though: the voice acting simply has not aged well. I blame poor direction mostly since it seems like the VAs are legitimately trying but between Yuna's awkward pauses even few seconds and Tidus speaking lightning fast to match his model's animation it's very noticeable. The sad thing is that the voice acting was the one thing about FFX's original release that didn't age well and they didn't take this opportunity to revise it. Oh well, still one of the best in the series IMO, 4/5.

I'm probably going to be completely done with FFX by this weekend. After I finish I'm either going to pick up FFV or VI (the latter I haven't even touched since I was eleven) or I might download Persona 2 and play through that instead, which I know nearly nothing about (besides that Hitler and Nyarlothotep is in it) and would be a brand new experience for me. Although between summer classes and starting a new job I'm really not sure how much time I'll have.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think to avoid making this thread a quick hit and run/+1 post count thread, it'd be best to at least post your thoughts on the game like finalark. Doesn't have to be long, but simply better than just a name and score.

Zip.

Smash Lord
I actually prefer that as well and should have put it in the op

anywho

Kid Icarus:Uprising

8.25/10

A good revamp to a classic series,lot of enjoyable references to the first game(and even other nintendo titles) control scheme can take some getting used to but it can be very rewarding(especially on the higher difficulties).

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails: 7/10

Only beat the main campaign so far, Challenge Mode sounds daunting given how much trouble the later stages gave me. The controls are still a bit finneky, although that's kinda the point and it works to make it more interesting. It is really fun though, if ludicrously difficult.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Gears of War Judgment

8/10

I would have given it a 9/10 but the amount of content in the game feels half-assed. However, the content it does have is of superb quality. The campaign, despite how short it was and a few inconsistencies it had with other Gears, was fun, declassified missions were really fun challenges, and it was nice getting some back story and knowing what Baird and Cole did while Marcus was getting the sub. Overrun mode is especially addicting .

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Metroid: Other M

6/10

+ atmosphere
+ visuals
+ story

- Ridley design
- authorisation mechanic
- pixel hunting

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
The last game I finished: Kirby's Dream Land on the Game Boy, yesterday

The first game in Kirby's saga is arguable my favorite. While some people accuse it of not having some of Kirby's classic abilities and how short the game is, I think it's one of the best games I've played on an emulator (because I like using them). Kirby's Dream Land also has good level design. Specifically Castle Lololo. The game also does not have copy abilities, and I find this ok. Kirby instead retains his classic ability if swallowing and then firing the enemy as a star. The game also does not have many levels, but I do love the soundtrack and the Kirby dance easter egg. Out of an overall 10 grade, I give it an 8. It is good for those people who want to take a break from the norm and take on the norm in a fresh way.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Jak II HD. (10/10)

A notoriously hard game, let alone to earn a platinum legitimately. I don't see too many games that are largely set in a dystopian environment, and this particular game has a rather depressing atmosphere to it. It had a fairly large overworld that interconnects other levels and activity was everywhere. I liked the whole futuristic premise it had going on (i.e. flying hovercrafts). The use of firearms and a transformation helped to expand on the gameplay that was first set by its predecessor.

This entry is my favorite in the series and I'm glad to experience it again in HD.

^-^

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dark Souls 2: 7/10

A step up in someways from Dark Souls 1, but a step down as well. I have also played Demon's Souls, but I find Dark Souls 1 to be the best. DS2's online and covenant play is far superior to DS1. The combat is also improved, but I still think they got lazy with implementing dual wielding. With that being said, what it fails in is its lore and connectivity of the world. In DS1, the hub you were in, every place you went to was interconnected in some shape or form. It made sense that you went from Point A to Point B. Hell, if you took a shortcut, it still made sense you ended up from Point A to Point E. DS2 is just all over the place. It doesn't tell you anything or hint at all. You just go in any direction, and it feels like "levels". Here is a place with lava. Here is a swamp. Here is a sewer. It was rather annoying to see it not fit well. Like puzzle pieces forced in the wrong place.

The lore in DS1 was far better than it is in DS2. Every location told a story that was further explained by reading the item descriptions. While somethings are hinted at in DS2 through dialogue, the "stage" based levels throws off the lore and takes away from the food. Exploring a "castle" in DS1 is far much more mysterious and cooler than it is in DS2.

Anyways, if you're a DS fan, you will enjoy it nonetheless. Combat is solid and covenants rock. If you were someone like me who was also invested in the lore, you'll be a bit let down.

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix
10/10
Kingdom Hearts as a series has given me some of the best expierences in video games.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Bravely Default

I don't like giving things numbers, so I'm just going to do a list of pros and cons.

Gameplay as a whole (barring one spoiler I'll talk about later on) was solid. The battle system was probably the neatest little twist on turn-based RPG stuff since... hell, probably since Active Time Battles were introduced. Most of the classes had their own unique something to contribute, although I feel like some of them could have been cut and I honestly wouldn't miss them in Bravely Second. The ability to tweak near everything was such a convenience, too, especially if you get tired of fighting after grinding to 99.

Aesthetically, this is one of the prettiest games I've played. I think only Baten Kaitos edges it out in art and sound. If you liked the game's soundtrack, I *really* recommend looking up Luxendarc's Big Diary and Luxendarc's Little Diary, which are some kind of OST/remix album thing. Voice acting was great, except for Agnes, doubly so when she was shouting or screaming. It got so bad that I had to mute the game during her lines at some points.

The story was pretty good, had a fair amount of nice twists. But it also had a really, really huge issue starting in Chapter 4 (spoilers):
I don't mind backtracking or a little bit of padding, but having to go through all of the Crystal bosses four times (and the annoying-as-sin awakening sequence) was the killed a lot of the excitement I had about the game. I don't even care that they rationalized it in the story; chapters 8 and 9 (or whatever the second to last and next to last two were) shouldn't have happened. I was beyond ready to have beaten it by that point. That's why, as much as I loved the game, I never want to play it again. Or at least not for a good few years.
The final boss was one of my favorite JRPG encounters, just because I'm a sucker for that kind of thing happening.

All in all, a good game if you enjoy the older, class-based FF games or if you just like JRPGs. I'd recommend the demo, except for it's a pretty bad demo that just kind of drops you off in chapter 2 with a load of fetch quests and an assortment of classes, without really explaining things.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes 3DS
6/10

Although it sticks to the tried-and-true LEGO game format, it doesn't have the level of content which makes that work. I didn't feel satisfied when I beat the story, the number of collectibles was too small, and Justice League mode was just mindless tedium with some little things thrown in (like the subway train). Note that this is the 3DS version; I've heard that the console versions are much better in terms of content level.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Grand Theft Auto V

Pros
+50 Plus hour story
+Hours of fun
+Online With friends/people you know.
+Chiliad Mystery that's spawned it's own community(Can be fun to try and solve)

Cons
-Some Extras need to 100%
-Chiliad Mystery that's spawned it's own community (Some people can be toxic)
-Online with public servers, Anyone you see will probably try and murder you for the "Lawls", the younger kids are annoying, and the people that blast loud music into the mic.(This can be turned off.)
-It can lag at some times but not much

GTA V is a fun game that I'd recommend to anyone that likes open world games.

8.5/10

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
LIMBO. 9.5/10. Once again a low-budget game showing the AAA ones how things should be done.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Halo 4, only rating the campaign as I haven't done multiplayer yet (and I haven't really heard good things about the multiplayer anyway).

9/10

By far the best Halo campaign yet. 343I did a really good job with developing MC and Cortana and their relationship and it really felt emotional, don't get me wrong I still like the storied of the first 3 Halos but they weren't nearly as involved with characters (though Halo 2 did a pretty good job with the Arbiter). I'm beyond ecstatic that I didn't have to fight the Flood this time around. The Promethean Knights are such a huge upgrade to fight against. The game is also gorgeous to look at. I was not expecting that ending either. That said, I was a little disappointed that the game didn't really have a boss fight at the end.

Booster

Smash Lord
Tales of Xillia, 7.5/10

It would've been higher, but that New Game+ mode is terrible, they completely ****ed up the Grade system and I HOPE it doesn't become a new staple to the series

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Tales of Xillia, 7.5/10

It would've been higher, but that New Game+ mode is terrible, they completely ****ed up the Grade system and I HOPE it doesn't become a new staple to the series
How'd they mess up the NG+ and Grade, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the middle of a few other games, so I haven't started ToX yet.

edit: forgot about my own

Xenoblade Chronicles.

Super, super fun although the end did drag on a bit due to me needing to grind to kill the final boss. I also wish that you could tell if you're behind/beside/in front of enemies, kinda like you can in Xenoblade X, because that would make landing good Back Slashes so much easier.

Unlike Bravely Default, it's a game I'll be going back to sometime. I just don't expect I'll be going back for at least a few months, given the 75ish hours that this first time through took.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
How'd they mess up the NG+ and Grade, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the middle of a few other games, so I haven't started ToX yet.
Grade points are gotten through things that act like Trophies or Achievements. I'm fine with that, but what's terrible is that you're not allowed to purchase everything in the Grade Shop despite getting the max amount of Grade the game gives you.

It's one of the small things that eventually add up to the list of cons in Xillia 1.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
8/10

It's a solid game. It has great level design, new copy abilities, good music, and just an overall happy and fun feel to it.
However, I did feel it lacked some of the Kirby magic that Return to Dreamland had. I'm not sure why; I just felt that way.
Also, I don't think Hypernova Kirby added anything to the game. Once you get over how cool it looks, you realize, practically every Hypernova Kirby level was just you mindlessly sucking up everything. No difficulty or point to it at all. There are a few exceptions, but most Hypernova levels are just sucking up everything in sight.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
The last game I truly 100%, and only that is "finished" for me, is Super Mario Galaxy. The first one. I finished it as Mario in January, but there's Luigi Galaxy... and you need it to get the 121 stars.

Super Mario Galaxy... is a really outstanding game. I like the space setting and especially what they've done with it, the gravity gimmick is really fun, and the motion controls as a addition to the buttons are great. It looks amazing for a Wii game, and the soundtrack is fantastic. I also liked the more serious presentation: Bowser is a pretty good opponent actually, and this game also added Rosalina and a backstory to go with her, making one more developed character. Which is exactly why i really like her.

Playing as Luigi didn't change anything significantly though, I heard it's harder... but because I played Galaxy 2 prior to this, I think I just got way more skilled. It was actually even easier. And there's no really challenging level; there were the challenge galaxies, but they were based on minigames within this game, not on your jumping ability. Those purple coin missions? They just take long and are annoying and if they're not, you actually have one of the harder levels there. What I just want to say is: This game is a bit too easy for me. It's great for beginners in 3D Marios though! Like I was at the time I first played it. This only cuts my replay value score down.

One thing though: It has a more linear level design than 64/Sunshine. I like it more linear, but there are also some who don't.

I'd give this game a 9/10. Super Mario Galaxy 2 does a lot of the things Galaxy does great even better, and it also fixed the very few complaints I have with this game. The Galaxy series is really worth buying, and there are even those Nintendo Selects editions who are really cheap to get. If you are interested in getting it, this game isn't expensive!

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Tales of Xillia, 7.5/10

It will and you can thank Vesperia for that.

Blah blah blah Tidal Wave!

DrMcNugget

Smash Apprentice
Bastion - 9/10

Fun game. Fantastic music, art and storytelling. Likable characters and a Great ending.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

8/10

Being a text-story based game, you're gonna be hitting the "A" button quite a few times. With that being said, the story is definitely intriguing, and it is supplemented by the voice acting when it's used. Because it is a crossover game, the puzzles are mostly skippable, and their difficulties for the most part are not bad. Meanwhile, the court cases have their moments of "Well, this would have made sense too..." moments, but you still get deducted for using the wrong evidence.

A few other gripes I had was the conclusion of the story. It was just personally not my cup of tea and I did not enjoy the twist all that much. You can still question some of the things that transpired, which don't necessarily add up in the end. Secondly, while Phoenix has never been the puzzle solver, Layton totally stole the show in the last fourth of the game. It was rather disappointing to see him "carry the team". I know Layton's IQ is probably higher than Phoenix, but Phoenix had no business having his hand held by end game in the courts. I'm a fan of both series, but you can tell that Level-5 didn't hesitate to put Layton above Phoenix (even though it was co-developed, it definitely has more Layton influence). While Phoenix definitely had his "Pull crap out of my butt" moments to sway the tides, the were no where near as momentous as Layton's contributions.

Still a fun game. The journey getting through was nice. Not many memorable characters outside the core group though.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
God Hand: 9.5/10.

I have ALWAYS wanted to play this game. ALWAYS. And when I got a $20 Playstation Network card, this was my first download. And holy hell, I'm glad it was.

God Hand's gameplay is very rich, and felt very fun. Basically, for those who don't know, God Hand is a 3D beat 'em up, and you're probably thinking "Those aren't too fun", but you're wrong; it's GREAT fun. You can customize almost every move Gene uses, which you can either find dropped from tough enemies or buy from a shop in-between stages. Each attack has certain attributes, such as evading attacks aimed high, staggering enemies, etc. You also get certain "roulette" moves which you only use when you have enough orbs. One of the neatest things about God Hand is the difficulty scale, which is tied in with the level-up system. Oh, but you don't level up, the enemies do. And it shows. Luckily, the enemies level down in the (often) case your ass gets handed to you. The only problems I had with the gameplay are the camera, which automatically locks onto the nearest enemy, even when trying to get away, and the RNG (random number generated) items that spawn from broken crates/barrels/etc, I've been in boss fights where I didn't get any health pick-ups or points to use super moves, and was screwed hard.

The presentation of the game is clean, the graphics are good for 2006 PS2 standards, and I never experienced any framerate drops. The sounds are pretty good, except for the lower-quality sound-bytes used in-game. The music is all great, and always seems to fit the level. The game's cutscenes are all done in-game, and always had me laughing, which brings me to a big selling point of this game: Humor. Humor is a big aspect of God Hand, and is always present. Cutscenes always made me laugh, and there's some form of charm about busting the nuts of a gorilla disguised as a luchadore, or spanking a magical girl succubus, or beating the pants off ****** Power Rangers. The story is not a major part of God Hand, but is still pretty decent, and almost reminded me of a Saturday morning cartoon.

In short: I beat a gorilla disguised as a luchadore by busting his nuts and then suplexing him. Buy it. You have no excuse. It's $10. BUY IT.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Megaman 3
8.5/10
This game is tough but rewarding. The robot master powers were kind of same-y compared to Megaman 2, but the slide mechanic allows for more depth in terms of combat. The level design is generally solid, and has nothing as glaringly bad as MM2's Wily Fortress 4 boss, though the Doc Robot stages are a bit repetitive. It's certainly harder than MM2, but pretty fair in its difficulty. There are a few slowdown issues (at least for the 3ds eshop version, can't say anything about other versions) though they're generally manageable. Overall it's a classic, and a very good game that's definitely worth playing, though I would recommend playing MM2 first if you're new to the series.

Last edited:

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
Fire Emblem:Awakening
This was my first Fire Emblem game so idk how it compares to the other games but it certainly made me want to check out some of the others. Most of the characters were very likeable, good story and encourages several playthroughs. Gameplay was solid as well. Wont give it a rating because i personally dont like ratings and again idk how it compares to other FE games or other strategy rpgs but as an intro game to the series and genre i loved it!

geo1088

Smash Rookie
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia

9/10
I really don't know why people hate the Ranger games so much! This one is awesome, it's one of my favorite games actually!

+ Unique game mechanics (applied to the series really)
+ Good story
+ tough bosses
+ DLC (although its not available anymore :( )
- Repetitive in parts (SO MANY GIGAREMOS! --me in Puel Town)
- Darkarai was a little easy for a final boss

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
It will and you can thank Vesperia for that.

Blah blah blah Tidal Wave!
If the Grade System stays like the ****ty one in Xillia and Xillia 2, I'm gonna have to quit that series, my favorite part is the 2nd playthrough and to make it nearly impossible and quite painful to access is not worth it no matter the game.

edit: forgot about my own

Xenoblade Chronicles.

Super, super fun although the end did drag on a bit due to me needing to grind to kill the final boss. I also wish that you could tell if you're behind/beside/in front of enemies, kinda like you can in Xenoblade X, because that would make landing good Back Slashes so much easier.

Unlike Bravely Default, it's a game I'll be going back to sometime. I just don't expect I'll be going back for at least a few months, given the 75ish hours that this first time through took.
You have to earn titles to get Grade, this would be fine if they weren't so goddamn hard to get, the whole process is the most painful I've encountered in an RPG since the gameplay and level design of the Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy

Last edited by a moderator:

SamuelOak

Smash Rookie
Bastion - 9/10

Fun game. Fantastic music, art and storytelling. Likable characters and a Great ending.
Bastion is probably my favorite Indie game due to its excellent storytelling and game mechanics. The music ties perfectly with the narrator to provide an authentic incentive to continue to smash/slice/stab/shoot things; that is if you need more incentive besides seeing things blow up. However, I believe Bastion is most impressive in its ability to draw such vivid characters using no more than a song or two and a couple lines of narration.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Rise of the Dark Spark

5/10

Carbon copy of Fall of Cybertron. Story is tolerable but unpolished. Escalation is it's one saving grace. Even as a Transformers fan I have to be honest.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Antichamber
9/10

The only flaw was that the non-euclidean elements and the block puzzles were segregated for the most part, and since block puzzles became more and more prominent as the game went on...

Other than that its use of non-eulcidean geometry (you could take fourright turns in a row and end up in a different place, or go up to a part of the wall, turn around, and find yourself in a different room) was excellent, and the puzzles were fun, too (in all honesty, the game would have likely been unable to carry itself had it just relied on you walking through the place). The minimalist atmosphere was also really great.

It's available cheaply in the current humble weekly bundle for anyone that's interested

Last edited:
Top Bottom