• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rate The Above Song, Then Post Another

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I liked the 2nd half of it, but man oh man the start really bothered me. There were 2 different tempos going on for what felt like two songs plopped on top of each other for a full minute...which is exactly what you don't want at all in a mash up (or at least what I don't want). 6.5/10

I recently re-watched my recordings of the US X Factor season 1, there was an awesome duet with one of the contestants and Alanis Morissette. This song Uninvited I had completely forgotten about; it's such an eerie, haunting, but epic and gothic sounding song. I remember hearing it on the radio back in the day and thinking how cool it was that this song could make it on mainstream radio right next to crap like Hit Me Baby One More Time, Genie in a Bottle, and Backstreet Boys.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Some of BSB's stuff was pretty good... Or at least my older sister drilled it into my head they they were good :p

Anyways, onto the review:

7/10 - I'd never heard that song before. The backing track is very slow and deliberate, but also manages to support and highlight the vocalist very well. The vocalist had a great voice, but I think she sounded a little too happy at times. In addition, the lyrics had a good overall message. Unfortunately, the track as a whole it seemed fairly bland and forgettable, as it lacks a huge impact point and I can remember very little about it now that the song is over.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
7/10
Good song, but (Lmao) my dad listens to this song so much. A little bit tired of it :p

I found a strange set of Earthbound remixes. Here's their description:

This is a sometimes post-rock, sometimes psychedelic-rock rearrangement of songs from Earthbound (or Mother 2 in Japan). Originally composed by Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka and Hiroshi Kanazu, these songs exhibit a harrowing stress on a young boy coming to age amidst catastrophe. While the game is known for its quirkiness and humour, it's also known for its philosophical undertones about the nature of evil, the corruption of power and the loss of innocence. These rearrangements focus more on the latter than the former.

This one has a bit of Magicant, mixed with Pollyanna, and who knows what else.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Pretty great instrumental, it's like if Korn remixed the song for a Tim Burton movie adaptation of Earthbound - 7.5/10
There's a vocal OC remix by Dale North of Home that I remember liking a lot, it was just too short.

This is a long one and the first 40 seconds are sort of slow, but damn is this one of the best classical guitar compositions I've ever heard. He no doubt could win most of the "Got Talent" shows if he were to audition, but he already seems rather successful. If you've got the attention spen to watch it all it's well worth it.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
8.5/10 - Most of it was terrific, but there were some parts like 5:30 where you really can't hear what he was going for because he was just trying to thrash at the strings. Also, shoutouts to the Van Halen-esque cigarette (although I don't know what he was smooking) storage between the strings and the head.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
8.5/10 - Most of it was terrific, but there were some parts like 5:30 where you really can't hear what he was going for because he was just trying to thrash at the strings. Also, shoutouts to the Van Halen-esque cigarette (although I don't know what he was smooking) storage between the strings and the head.

I'm pretty sure that was incense

I actually liked the thrashing only in the context of the beautiful melodic parts that he juxtaposed right after. A nice contrast to the wall of disorder and sound before it. I'm guessing he was telling a story through the entire song, those parts would have been some kind of conflict or turmoil.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm pretty sure that was incense

I actually liked the thrashing only in the context of the beautiful melodic parts that he juxtaposed right after. A nice contrast to the wall of disorder and sound before it. I'm guessing he was telling a story through the entire song, those parts would have been some kind of conflict or turmoil.
I know he did it intentionally, but I still don't agree with it. The off-temp stuff at the beginning of Smudges' song was also intentional, and neither of us liked that part of it. It's still a really great performance, but I don't like some of the decisions he made.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0

Saw "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy", immediately gave it a listen. Was not disappointed.
8.5/10 Love these swing rhythms.

Soo, somebody put something by this band here a while back. And now I love them :p
There's a version of this song in English too, but I'll put the original here.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
7/10 - I'm not sure what I just heard and am even less sure what I just saw, but it's super catchy and I was greatly amused.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Not bad, but it sounds like something I can make in Garageband in less than an hour - 5.5/10

This song has been used in a lot of movies and TV shows, probably my favorite Massive song next to Teardrops.

Last edited:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
7/10
Pretty much the Massive Attack I've heard before, but consistently good.

A pleasant synthesizer jam, though I'll admit, the middle can be hard to swallow.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yea (I believe it was in November last year) I was curious to see what you'd rate it though. I was thinking 8.5/10.

As for the song I'd give it a 7/10, I'd probably score it higher if I hadn't heard other very similar music recently. It sounds a lot like stuff from Motley Crue era but with modern production.

I saw this guy perform on the Australian X Factor last year, he's a really entertaining happy dude. Song is catchy too.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I was thinking 8.5/10.
Yeah, I was thinking about putting it at a 8.5/10 but I'm too grumpy to give extra half-points at 6 AM.

6.5/10 - I thought it was funny and well-executed, but it's very, very repetitive and the song has no meaning other than "I'm poor and other people suck." It feels like the writer realized he had nothing to write about, so he wrote the chorus about him having to pay bills 5 times for 2 stanzas of content (both of which are complaining about how everyone's treating him badly.)

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Always have really liked J5, they are like an acapella rap group, but they actually have good beats as well as thoughtful lyrics
8/10

I just tripped across this song in my YT adventures....I had no idea The Strokes singer and Daft Punk made a record...and it has almost 100,000,000 views, almost all likes.

What the heck? It sucks, was really disappointed cause I was expecting something awesome from 2 artists I REALLY like. Why did they use heavy auto tune on Julian....makes no sense. Wonder what others think here.

Last edited:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
8/10
Love the whole album. It received some backlash from older fans for deviating from any kind of sound they've used before, but I thought it was their best work IMO. The quality of the actual production was very high, beating out the cheap production of Homework and even the higher production of Human After All. I'm not saying they're bad albums; I love them.

This particular song was one of my favorites on the album. The autotune was meant to give Julian a more "robotic" vibe, keeping in touch with the main themes of the album. They've always used the persona of robots to discuss what it means to be human.

I also appreciate the alternative genre style, though I could see why that would be off-setting. The idea was to be something along the lines of modern alt/pop with disco influence.I like the melody, and I love the guitar solo in the bridge.

Thanks for reading my way-too-deep analysis of Instant Crush.

Also...

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I appreciate the analysis, there probably isn't a point in discussing since it's all subjective....but what melody? it's as if Julian is just randomly singing and improving notes in key to random words....and why even have Julian at all, you can't even tell it's him with such heavy post production. I could have sung that part and none would be the wiser....

I would disagree about the production quality, it's not really higher it's just more in line with the exact same treatment modern EDM songs get...AKA tons of compression, tons of EQ and Filter passes to build a wall of homogenized sound, a lot of auto tune, and some side chaining....

IDK all the stuff that you mention as positive I see as sucking the soul out of a song, and dissolving any creative or unique potential before it had a chance. It felt lazy to me. Perhaps it's too avant garde for me, but for so many to be into it makes me think it's Stockholm syndrome with the artists involved and not actually the majority thinking it's a good song on it's own if it had been made by aome no-namers.

Back to the song above - 7/10 wasn't my favorite from that album but it got some playtime for a little bit

Last edited:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
Just chiming in with my 2 cents. I could defend Daft Punk's decisions all night, but as you said, it's all subjective.

Anyways, I'd say 6/10
Not my style of music, but for the genre, it's some good stuff.

p.s.
Clean version

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
7/10 - I appreciate the effort put into the lyrics and like the beat, but the laughing can very kinda annoying and I personally don't like much rap.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
8.5/10
I absolutely love the warm 70s style, and this song is actually getting me interested in the artist. Imma have to check him out.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
An okay laid back tune, but in the company of similar better (IMO) artists like Creedence Clearwater Revival and Lynyrd Skynyrd it's kinda forgettable. 6/10

Back in the day I remember getting this CD right when it dropped on OCremix, and after hearing this track I felt compelled to donate to the artist. This is probably the only OCremix that has survived with me all this time, it's almost perfect. If you don't have a good sound system or headphones you'll miss a lot.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
5/10 - I never grew up with the original DKC music (I had the GBA port and played it with the sound either low or off,) and the remix sounds very bland and repetitive. It's basically the same background figure for 8 minutes straight with very similar sounding instruments, and various parts fading in and out (which still all have the same 10-second melody repeating over and over and over and over again.)

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
7/10
Energetic, but seemed a bit repetitive at times. I liked it though :p It's like one enormous guitar solo.

Something Daft Punk-esque.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
7.5/10 Good chill listening (even with the epic intro).

P.S. About halfway through is when it gets stupid good.
7/10 - I couldn't take the first part of this song seriously because the electric organ sounded like it was from Napoleon Dynamite, but liked the instruments a lot more after the big transition. The vocalist didn't change to match the intensity, though, and he sounds more bored than having stylistic apathy (shoulda tried to sound more like Julian in most of The Strokes' songs.)

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
I liked most of it, but I found the lyrics kind of repetitive and forgettable.
6.5/10

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
7.5/10 - Nice energetic piece with good-sounding synthesized instrunents, but I didn't like the vocal "doo"s that were put in.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
8/10
I dunno what to say about it, lmao. It's happy and upbeat, and I liked it :p

Chiptune dance party. I don't think you'll like it, Spak.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yea thats got the ring modulation to the max, Spak's kryptonite.

If it was a song in a scrolling shooter like Super Stardust I'd give it a 7.5/10 as BGM
But I don't think I'd ever buy it to listen to though, so from that POV I'd give it a 6.5/10. I guess I was looking for a bit more originality or variation within the song concerning the percussion and melodies.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
8/10
I dunno what to say about it, lmao. It's happy and upbeat, and I liked it :p

Chiptune dance party. I don't think you'll like it, Spak.
Yea thats got the ring modulation to the max, Spak's kryptonite.

If it was a song in a scrolling shooter like Super Stardust I'd give it a 7.5/10 as BGM
But I don't think I'd ever buy it to listen to though, so from that POV I'd give it a 6.5/10. I guess I was looking for a bit more originality or variation within the song concerning the percussion and melodies.

8/10 - Wow, grunge with a female lead. I'd never heard of that band, nor that song. Everything is pretty typical of the time period, but all of the instrument execute very well. The lead singer is great as well, and I'm surprised these guys weren't more popular (or were they? I was still -3 in 1994.)

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
8/10 - Wow, grunge with a female lead. I'd never heard of that band, nor that song. Everything is pretty typical of the time period, but all of the instrument execute very well. The lead singer is great as well, and I'm surprised these guys weren't more popular (or were they? I was still -3 in 1994.)
They were very popular, even performing many times on MTV shows and award shows (back when this kind of good alt music was actually popular and promoted)

The lead singer is Courtney Love who was even more famous than the band since she was Kurt Cobain's Wife until his death.
I'd definitely suggest checking out female rock and grunge/alt pretty much all of it then and now is worth a listen. It doesn't make it to mainstream nowadays but it's still just as good. Shirley Manson was also awesome during this period of time in her band "Garbage", so were the Cardigans and The Cranberries....actually there were a lot of great female bands in the 90s IMO.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The lead singer is Courtney Love who was even more famous than the band since she was Kurt Cobain's Wife until his death.
I'd definitely suggest checking out female rock and grunge/alt pretty much all of it then and now is worth a listen. It doesn't make it to mainstream nowadays but it's still just as good. Shirley Manson was also awesome during this period of time in her band "Garbage", so were the Cardigans and The Cranberries....actually there were a lot of great female bands in the 90s IMO.
Oh, I didn't know that was Courtney Love, nor did I know she actually had a musical career before Kurt died. I guess this was made while they were married, in the months leading up to his death? I've heard "Zombie" by The Cranberries, Garbage was too poppy to be grunge in what I remember of them (although that was Garbage in the early 2000s, not the 90s,) and I've never heard of the Cardigans.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Oh, I didn't know that was Courtney Love, nor did I know she actually had a musical career before Kurt died. I guess this was made while they were married, in the months leading up to his death? I've heard "Zombie" by The Cranberries, Garbage was too poppy to be grunge in what I remember of them (although that was Garbage in the early 2000s, not the 90s,) and I've never heard of the Cardigans.
The Cardigans were really famous for their song Lovefool which was more of a pop alt song (also known for the song "My Favorite Game" which was on the Gran Turismo 2 soundtrack which i like), I was just listing some female singers that were backed by actual bands and musicians from that period (should probably mention No Doubt as well). That seems to all but died in this modern age, it's just solo female singers with revolving back up singers, playback, and musicians for hire. Paramore are the only surviving type that come to mind. Grunge was extremely short lived but stilll lives on in post punk, and there are a ton of post-punk, punk, and hardcore female lead singers these days like The Distillers and The Pretty Reckless but you have to search it out or hear about them through those communities and seeing live shows.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The Cardigans were really famous for their song Lovefool which was more of a pop alt song (also known for the song "My Favorite Game" which was on the Gran Turismo 2 soundtrack which i like), I was just listing some female singers that were backed by actual bands and musicians from that period (should probably mention No Doubt as well). That seems to all but died in this modern age, it's just solo female singers with revolving back up singers, playback, and musicians for hire. Paramore are the only surviving type that come to mind. Grunge was extremely short lived but stilll lives on in post punk, and there are a ton of post-punk, punk, and hardcore female lead singers these days like The Distillers and The Pretty Reckless but you have to search it out or hear about them through those communities and seeing live shows.
You're forgetting Halestorm; they have a good lead female singer as well.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
You're forgetting Halestorm; they have a good lead female singer as well.
Didn't forget them, just didn't mention them since I'd be here all day listing more and more (literally just said there were a ton). If you're talking about the Paramore point, well they are nowhere even close to that level of success in the mainstream.

Edit-

Here's Spak's song from above, we got side tracked -

Last edited:
Top Bottom