• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Alternatively, you could make it a CM+Rest set with Psyshock/Thunderbolt or Psyshock/HP Fighting so that you can actually legitimately beat something after you kill off Blissey.

Even with Psyshock, depending on its EVs Porygon2 is likely to be 2hko'ed at +6 or stalled out, which is guaranteed if there's sandstorm or hail out.

this is with 0 special attack investment, by the way. 252 HP/252 Def is all you need once you're getting to +6.

Largemike32197

Smash Cadet
More for 4th gen. But it can be workable in 5th.

Absol@dread plate(only needs to boost sucker punch and maybe knock off)
Evs hp4/atk252/def252(all moves are proioty and his speed is crap anyways and if they have extreme speed i likly cant outspeed them anyways and bullet punch users id switch out on anyways)
Adamand

Sucker punch
Snatch
Magic coat
Knock off at least cripples/ wish could work as a stall with pressure if they are refusing to attack and is his best way to recover/ protect with pressure could force them to attack or at least check out their moves so you can switch next turn/ psycho cut/superpower to hit machchamp or other counters.

I really don't know what to use for his 4th move.

But absol works as an amazing counter lead who can spore them sweep them set up rocks sword dance/dd or whatever else they might try and tends to completely outspeed most of the hard hitters thanks to all of his proity moves. I put the evs in def so he can take an up turn or anything. He teams great with ghost type and counters to types he cant cover like steel and being dark lets him switch in on pyschics and fire off sucker punchs

Idk ive played with him a lot he'll take out most leads easily and set up for you and sometimes even take out the counter they sent out its also fun to steal subs witch snatch.

Any problems or whatever tell me?

:phone:

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
The problem isn't the set, it's the pokemon. A few things can run Snatch+Magic Coat, among them other anti-lead types like Mew, who can run the exact same set with much better bulk and Focus Punch/U-turn to take advantage of switches while still keeping Sucker Punch. If you wanted a lower-tier equivalent, you could use Kecleon, whose lower attack is compensated for with higher special bulk and the addition of Focus Punch in the last slot. Other pokemon can run Snatch+Magic Coat and arguably make better use of it, such as Deoxys-D and Clefable, as they both attract setup quite easily. Absol has the advantage of STAB on its Sucker Punch, but it still can't do much of anything to Skarmory/Forrey/Ferrothorn other than be 1-2hko'ed by Gyro Ball/Brave Bird, as it doesn't have the bulk to withstand even weak attacks from walls that will try to set up entry hazards on you.

Then again, with Clefable, Encore is arguably more useful than Snatch...yeah

Largemike32197

Smash Cadet
In 4th gen. I liked with because there are a few pyschic lead sneargles gengars and rock set ups and the raw power ripped holes in many leads even the defence leads because like symary didn't normally have evs/nature in attack anf that's main reason i put so much into defense. It's just there isn't a harder hitting prioty move off the top of my head and with super luck it helps that even more.

Also i prefer clefable as a wall on a sand/hail team where i feel she works much better seeing how he has moves like softboil comic power and more defense based stats

:phone:

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Even in 4th gen, Clefable and Gallade/Gardevoir are better UU options that can run snatch+coat sets because they can threaten more things with their attacking options (Clefable with Fire Blast/Double Edge and a Life Orb does acceptable damage, and Gallade with STAB Close Combat or Gardevoir with psychic and boltbeam can take advantage of setup better).

GimmeCheese62Y7

Smash Rookie
TLS Stall

Can you rate my Serperior?

Toxic Substitute Leech Seed Stall
Careful Nature (Mine is Attacked based, so it doesn't matter.) Ability: Overgrow
206 Attack 216 Defense 152 SP 226 SD 266 Speed
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
Toxic
Leech Seed
Substitute
Leaf Blade

My Serperior outspeeds many Pokemon, which let's me set up my Substitute flawlessly. I Leech Seed opponents right after making a substitute to recover the HP I lost. Even when my Substitute breaks, I use Toxic to further it's HP loss. If my Serperior's HP is cut down to red, I finish the opponent with Leaf Blade, Overgrow of course, boosting it's attack power. If the opponent still survives, Toxic will finish them.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Use pretty much any other Pokemon.

Venusaur is bulkier, Meganium is even bulkier than that, Torterra beats Meganium, Celebi is incredibly bulky, Tangrowth is so bulky Serperior wants to kill itself, Ferrothorn ****S ALL OVER YOU

Sceptile is faster, Jumpluff is so fast it's ridiculous, and Whimsicott is so fast that this sentens

Breloom heals so god damn much that it's silly, Abomasnow adds even more damage to your opponent with hail, Smeargle can use stupid moves like Spore.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Been thinking of making a Donphan like this:
252 Attack, 252 HP, 6 Def
Adamant, Leftovers
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Ice Shard

A lead. I'm basically hoping that with the EVs invested into his decent base-90 HP and his awesome base 120 def, I'll be able to set up SR and OHKO with EQ/SE. If I don't kill, Ice Shard to finish them off, so I'm just hoping I won't get 2HKO'D. Thinking the only thing wrong with this set would be that Mamoswine simply does it better, but I'm looking to see if there are any other problems with it.

Been thinking of making a Hitmonlee like this:
252 Attack, 240 Speed, 18 HP
Jolly, Life Orb, Reckless
Hi Jump Kick
Sucker Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Might go with Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge, because of his frailty. 240 in speed to outspeed all base-85s (Hitmonlee's base speed is 87), just threw the remaining EVs at HP.

Haven't been playing pokemon for long, so be nice XD

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Stone Edge / Ice Shard is incredibly redundant in terms of type coverage. I'd rather have Assurance or Seed Bomb.

Earthquake is redundant coverage on Hitmonlee. Blaze Kick or Mach Punch are better.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I can't say I understand the first statement. Ice Shard will be super effective on ground types, whereas Stone Edge will be NFE on them. It's also reliable against frailer Flying types if I don't want to risk missing. Besides, Ice Shard is not really for coverage, that's what EdgeQuake is for.
But now that I think about it, Seed Bomb works better with Earthquake than Stone Edge.
And yeah Blaze Kick sounds good for Hitmonlee. Don't think I need Mach Punch as a priority move, since I already have Sucker Punch for that, but what do you think?

Thanks for the help.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I can't say I understand the first statement. Ice Shard will be super effective on ground types, whereas Stone Edge will be NFE on them. It's also reliable against frailer Flying types if I don't want to risk missing. Besides, Ice Shard is not really for coverage, that's what EdgeQuake is for.
I suppose "redundant" is a bit too strong of a word for this situation.

You'll be using Earthquake against pretty much anything. Things that resist Earthquake: Grass, Flying, Bug. Ice Shard hits the first two, Stone Edge hits the last two. Stone Edge hits like 10 times harder. But Grass-types are more commonly bulky than Bug-types, and Ice Shard has priority, and it hits Dragon-types. Not to mention that a neutral Stone Edge hits harder than a super-effective Ice Shard.

And yeah Blaze Kick sounds good for Hitmonlee. Don't think I need Mach Punch as a priority move, since I already have Sucker Punch for that, but what do you think?

Thanks for the help.
This is sort of a team-dependent thing, IMO. HJK , Stone Edge, and Sucker Punch give you perfect coverage, so your fourth move could be Blaze Kick if your team has trouble with (bulky) Grasses, Mach Punch if your team doesn't have any priority otherwise. Substitute if, after testing, you find yourself forcing lots of switches. Fake Out if you don't mind dealing as much damage as you take Life Orb recoil. Toxic if you have trouble with walls in general (Cresselia probably walls you). Sunny Day / Rain Dance if you're in OU and you want to troll. Other troll moves: Bulldoze, Poison Jab, Rapid Spin, Bulk Up.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Well, it's not very creative, but I'm having fun with it.

Hitmonchan @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Adamant / Iron Fist

Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Ice Punch
Thunderpunch/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch

Why this over conkeldurr? Because it can 1hko 252/184 Gliscor 100% of the time after a Bulk Up. It can also survive weaker psychic attacks and coverage moves from pokemon much better than conk. Drain Punch gives it great recovery, Ice Punch 1hko's Gliscor at +1, and Thunderpunch gives great coverage, KO'ing 252/252 Gyarados at +0 after SR and also allowing it to 2hko 252/252 Skarmory after SR. A priority move in the last slot might enable it to defeat weakened opponents, but its power is quite low. Keep away from burns, and he'll do just fine. He hates scald, so lum berry is a nice secondary option if you can keep the skies clear.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
That Hitmonchan set looks good for a Hitmonshan set, though I'd probably tailor the Speed EVs for something stupid like outspeeding 103 Speed Scarf Masquerain

mood4food77

Smash Hero
what about using this as a set for ttar (or any other dark type, but works best with ttar)?

tyranitar @ Leftovers
Jolly / Sand Stream
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Screech
Pursuit
Earthquake
Substitute

Ttar isn't exactly the hard to switch in and has awesome bulk, just stay away from fighting moves. When he's in, he screeches something on the switch-in, then the opponent is screwed if they switch or stay in since he's so strong. With screech -> pursuit, the opponent is taking a buttload of damage. I haven't tested this out at all and is complete theorymon but on paper it looks like it could work. I wish it could learn pursuit with dragon dance but it cannot. So, i don't know what would be his best options for the last 2 slots. Max Speed so he outruns a few important things. Earthquake gives better coverage. Substitute for scouting.

What do you guys think?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
possible use: send it in to threaten an opponent out. from there, either screech/sub on the switch-in, or pursuit on the way out. earthquake hits a lot of types hard, especially once their def is down.

i'm guessing :/ seems like an interesting gimmick set, though you'll be outclassed in standard play by... pretty much anything that hits hard...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Lucario @ Life Orb
Modest / Inner Focus
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Aura Sphere
Vaccum Wave
Nasty Plot
Dark pulse
Pretty straight foward. Avoid head-on charges, so don't send him out in the start of a battle. When you get the chance, send him out. Use Nasty Plot, raising your Sp. Att by 2. When time comes, use moves that would remove the opponent, and when you need to do damage fast, use vaccum wave. Baton pass combos work well with'em too.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
The thing about screech/metal sound/acid spray/etc. is that their utility comes from forcing switches as well as improving damage output. TTar would be a good user of this strategy if he weren't so damn slow, because he can't threaten everything even if they'll be hit on their weaker defense because he'll be ko'ed first.

Honestly though, other dark types like Honchkrow can make much better use of a set like this, with its high power, Moxie to boost its attack further when it traps opponents, and pursuit+sucker punch to take advantage of both scenarios of screech as well as a natural way to eliminate fighting-types with drill peck or brave bird. Crobat is another potential abuser with no way to boost its physical attack, and it can also abuse pursuit and brave bird with one of the highest speeds in the game, with roost to help with recovery.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
(1) This is pretty standard. Check rule 1 of the OP.
(2) You're running an Adamant nature on a specially oriented Lucario.
Apologies for Adament, I was thinking of my Krookodile at that time. I meant Modest. And what's wrong with it? Life Orb x Nasty Plot can make almost certain kill. I used Aura Sphere on a Shuckle and did a OHK. If you do it right, the Lucario (mine's Foxhound :3) will be almost unbeatable. BUT in certain situations. If a person decides to head-on attack, Lucario isn't a wise choice. But if you attack with a defensive pokemon at first, you can pull it off. Trust me: I've won many battles due to so.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
thats the point. its a pretty standard set for special lucario. the point of this thread is to post new movesets and ask for opinions on them, not ones that have been done before.

regarding your set, you may consider running shadow ball over dark pulse for perfect neutral coverage.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Apologies for Adament, I was thinking of my Krookodile at that time. I meant Modest. And what's wrong with it? Life Orb x Nasty Plot can make almost certain kill. I used Aura Sphere on a Shuckle and did a OHK. If you do it right, the Lucario (mine's Foxhound :3) will be almost unbeatable. BUT in certain situations. If a person decides to head-on attack, Lucario isn't a wise choice. But if you attack with a defensive pokemon at first, you can pull it off. Trust me: I've won many battles due to so.
Someone clearly didn't look at rule 1 of the OP. *sigh*

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hello, gents. The purpose of this thread is to have particular sets of individual pokemon rated without having to make a whole team based around it, therefore you don't need to make a whole new thread. Here are a few general rules:

1) Don't post standard sets.
-This should be fairly obvious. Please do not post CB Scizor in here. Now if you have a particular unique EV spread for said Scizor, we're all ears.
Herpherpderp.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
To be fair if all victory required was simplification this thread wouldn't need to exist. Oh wait.

It wasn't, but you couldn't find the OP / rules. "Right there." was an alternative but there's no difference, really.

I've actually been experimenting around in Smogon UU, so if I try something interesting and have some relative success I'll post that here, even though nobody here plays UU anymore.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Standard? Lol, yep. That's excatly it, actually. But with simplification comes victory. So sorry for not seeing that rule -_-' Herpherpderp BTW wasn't needed with critisism.
OP stands for original post (i.e. the post that started the thread). I'm assuming you weren't aware of that, asage, but that's probably why Tery assumed you'd see it. Truthfully, you should read the first post of a thread before posting in it, because that's exactly the sort of thing you miss if you don't.

Nevertheless, you get the point. Back on topic now.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
To be fair if all victory required was simplification this thread wouldn't need to exist. Oh wait.

It wasn't, but you couldn't find the OP / rules. "Right there." was an alternative but there's no difference, really.

I've actually been experimenting around in Smogon UU, so if I try something interesting and have some relative success I'll post that here, even though nobody here plays UU anymore.
U alright? Cause I wouldn't know what OP means. As apology, here's a better combo that I "Think" no one made up. It's one of my good ones:
Clafable
Ability: Magic Guard
Hp, 252. Sp. Def, 252, Spd, 4
Moves:
Softboiled
Encore
Thunder Wave
Sesmic Toss

So, you'd start off with Thunder Wave, then if the opponent used a bad move, encore it. Then when HP is running low, use Softboiled. When you get the chance, do some damage with Sesmic toss, which for mine does 100 damage :) I use it for PP junkies, like Hydrigon w/ Fire Blast and Focus Blast. However, it's a risky attempt, so it doesn't always work. Any thoughts on how I can improve it?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
OP stands for original post (i.e. the post that started the thread). I'm assuming you weren't aware of that, asage, but that's probably why Tery assumed you'd see it. Truthfully, you should read the first post of a thread before posting in it, because that's exactly the sort of thing you miss if you don't.

Nevertheless, you get the point. Back on topic now.
Thanks, bro :)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Double posting, lol

Also support Clefable is standard, usually has Wish though, since it's pretty much just strictly better.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Double posting, lol

Also support Clefable is standard, usually has Wish though, since it's pretty much just strictly better.
Alright, sry bout 2 posts, that was my bad. But, yeah. Standardizaition is bleck. Who uses PP destroyers nemore? Bsides Im in wrong thread. I'm find players >_>

Top Bottom