• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I have a nice moveset here.

Mew @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly / Synchronize

Snatch
Magic Coat
Protect / stat-up / Tailwind
Baton Pass / U-turn

This set's total magic. Snatch stops bulky setup, while Magic Coat bounces back status and hazards. Protect scouts for choice users' moves (and moves in general), and U-turn lets you switch advantageously. Baton Pass trades the ability to do damage on the switch to pass boosts along to somebody else on your team. Protect and Baton pass go well together, while Tailwind and U-turn let you support your team better. You can also run a stat-up move on Mew, but then it's just a regular BP set with snatch over softboiled. Leading with this is best, since it's designed to get the jump on most leads.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I don't see any reason to use Baton Pass over U-Turn, unless you're hitting Ferrothorn. derp snatch

Otherwise, I think the biggest problem with the set is that it takes too much prediction.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I dunno if you're specifically using this set in UU, but Arcanine and Houndoom are really going to give you problems. Life Orb Jolly Arcanine will 2HKO you with Flare Blitz, so you lose to that easily. Donphan's pretty popular too, but I don't know specifics so I can't run effective damage calculations.

That's a neat little trick you can play on Spiritomb though, which I like.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I should've altered the writeup to be what I posted on smogon. it explains it a bit more, as it's not a stand-alone pokemon, but instead a key member of a stall team.

y'know what, here.

Here's another fun set to try, but it's actually OU-worthy:

Mew @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Spe/4 Def OR 252 HP/176 Def/80 SpDef
Timid (Bold) / Synchronize

Snatch
Magic Coat
Protect / Softboiled / Psychic
Baton Pass

This is THE anti-baton-pass baton pass and anti-anti-stall pokemon. Sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Snatch steals any stat-up move, as well as nifty things like Substitute, Heal Bell, Roost/Recover/Softboiled/Rest/etc.. Magic Coat is greatly improved to bounce back Taunt, entry hazards, and phazing. Protect scouts for Trick and choice users' moves, allowing you to Baton Pass into an advantageous matchup. Max HP and Speed give this set the ability to pass out of most pokemon, though you could opt for a more defensive spread to better tank hits from threats assuming you mispredict. This isn't meant to defeat Dragon Dancers, though it can do that if you really want it to. It's meant to check bulky setup like SD Gliscor, Bulk Up and Calm Mind pokemon that stall struggles with. It can also stall out pokemon with Toxic Spikes quite admirably since Snatch can steal recovery and healing moves like Softboiled and Aromatherapy/Heal Bell, meaning a more defensive spread and Softboiled instead of Protect can be used as a defensive team's answer to opposing stall teams and common stallbreakers. The one stallbreaker that becomes a problem is NP Thundurus, but if you opt to run Psychic it can cleanly 2hko after Stealth Rock.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yea, ttar is too slow to pull of a screech set

it was screech/sub the switch-in, then hit them hard but the problem is, the stuff that switches into ttar usually can 2HKO it while ttar can only 2HKO them back even at -2

others who could run this:
-honchkrow seems interesting with priority, moxie, and good coverage with only 2 moves
-sharpedo has aqua jet but he also has speed boost and gets good coverage, but he also gets sword dance which is a much better option
-weavile is fast, has ice shard, but his moves are otherwise pretty weak, at least he gets good coverage
-crobat seems cool but doesn't get STAB on pursuit nor his priority (he also has the lowest attack of the group but is the fastest with good bulk)
-ambipom has technician (idk is a switched out pursuit gets the boost or not) but bad typing and no STAB causes other issues

i'll try honchkrow out with moxie probably going to use this set:

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Adamant / Moxie
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Screech
Pursuit
Sucker Punch
Superpower / Substitute

Basically, he'll screech the switch-in and use then use the appropriate move. Run adamant for max attack. Superpower is for coverage and Substitute can be used for scouting. He could run into similar problems as ttar but at least he gets priority.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Superpower and Moxie are illegal together.

Gen IV move tutors can't teach DW Ability Pokemon for obvious reasons.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
gjdksalfjadsiofadsi

stupid pokemon rules, i'm hacking from now on

maybe heatwave instead, to combat steels that aren't heatran

mood4food77

Smash Hero
........screw dream world

i might just use drill peck, cause at -2, it's still going to hurt a lot, and the recoil from brave bird will probably not be welcomed

this is assuming DW murkrow can be female cause i don't know

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Lucario (Foxhound), (M) @ Life Orb
Abilty: Inner Focus
Modest Nature, 4 HP, 252 Sp.Att, 252 Spd
Moveset:
Vaccum Wave
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere
Nasty Plot

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You clearly learned nothing.
You clearly fail at Failing. What do I need to learn? If it's because it's from Smogon, than u really fail, cause it is, and it's there for good reason. But I plan to rid Dark Pulse with either Psychic or Shadow Ball.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You clearly fail at Failing. What do I need to learn? If it's because it's from Smogon, than u really fail, cause it is, and it's there for good reason. But I plan to rid Dark Pulse with either Psychic or Shadow Ball.
First off, failing at failing is succeeding.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Modest / Inner Focus
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Aura Sphere
Vaccum Wave
Nasty Plot
Dark pulse
Lucario (Foxhound), (M) @ Life Orb
Abilty: Inner Focus
Modest Nature, 4 HP, 252 Sp.Att, 252 Spd
Moveset:
Vaccum Wave
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere
Nasty Plot
Second, is there a reason why you posted the exact same special Lucario set twice?

Third, I thought Firus and I made it clear that this thread is not for standard sets, as stated in the OP.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
-_- r we really doin this again? Forgot I post that, my bad. But I got a new Lucario, and this sure as heck ain't no standard (considering I made it myself):
Lucario (LuckyLoo), (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Relaxed Nature, 4 HP, 252 Def, 252 Att
Iron Defense
Counter
Extremespeed/Crunch/BlazeKick
Foresight/Endure
Alright, u see that anywhere? Cause I don't -_- and that's with Lucario. (working on movesets)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Did he seriously just post the same exact set twice after being told not to by multiple people?

He's either extremely clueless or a whole new brand of troll.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Did he seriously just post the same exact set twice after being told not to by multiple people?

He's either extremely clueless or a whole new brand of troll.
First off, we alrdy explained this, so ur input wasn't nessasary, and second, that's not close to a troll.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
First off, we alrdy explained this, so ur input wasn't nessasary, and second, that's not close to a troll.
W/e dude.

Here's some constructive criticism for you then: the Lucario set you just posted is awful for multiple reasons... Even for gimmick standards.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Love ur targetting issues. Tested, and beat a Garchomp uber easily. But I also had a Focus Sash, so that counts.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Because you can defeat a Garchomp--who really shouldn't be Uber--doesn't mean anything. Besides, you'd need Focus Sash anyway since Scarf Garchomp OHKO's you with Earthquake.

Also, a Relaxed nature lowers your speed. Why do you want that? You've already got Counter, which is negative priority, and Extremespeed, which is +2. Not to mention how Foresight is useless is you run something like Extremespeed and in general, kinda. You're not going to be doing much to Gengar with Counter anyway.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Or Natteori (w/o BlazeKick)...
Or Skarmory...
Or Zapdos...
Or Bulk Up Conkeldur...

Or pretty much any special attacker/defensive wall/boosting sweeper that can take a weaksauce Extremespeed. That set isn't viable at all...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Smogon ratings 4 Garchomp 2B uber, so idc wat ur adive on that is. Personally, yes it's not that good, but if I didn't post it, u'd have a fit over it in ur heads for the next year -_- Flame much? Probably. And I'm talking 2 u guys. Say wat u want, I made the mistake of the OP, which IS my fault, I need 2 remember that. Do not respond, cause I really don't care. Am I being childish? No, because I don't wanna hear ur 2-crap cents. Thank u, and targeters off, please.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The whole point of this thread is to have creative sets critiqued. If you can't take constructive criticism, I'd suggest you avoid this thread.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
That set is basically the same idea as the smogon 4th gen antilead set, but with Iron Defense and defensive EVs on something with the bulk of a wet paper bag. Also, why run endure when it's a lead set and you've already got a focus sash?

This is the standard antilead set so you can see the similarities.

Lucario @ Focus Sash
252 atk/252 spe/4 hp
Lonely / Inner Focus

Close Combat
Counter
Crunch
Extremespeed/Magic Coat

Riddle

Smash Lord
TRG telling people who won't listen that their sets are gimmicky and bad? You've made some good progress bro :p

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Sawsbuck @ Leftovers
Careful | Sap Sipper
HP 252/Sp.D 72/Spe 184
Aromatherapy
Thunderwave
Horn Leech
Return

should outspeed anything it needs to and take any non-stab special attacks. I went with leftovers over big root as this set runs return instead of leech seed. Return lets me hit specially defensive roserade super hard (especially if i switch in on a sleep powder/giga drain). Aromatherapy/TW for support and HL/Return for stab. I've only tested this in UU and a few random encounters with OU when i turned off tier locks. It works wonders for support and catches many people off guard who expect an offensive set.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I swear I've seen that set somewhere before...

But support sawsbuck is a nice surprise for things that expect it to be a sun sweeper. :3

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I swear, I'm the only one that ever posts **** in here :p

Tornadus @ Flying Gem
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly / Prankster

Bulk Up
Brick Break
Acrobatics
Tailwind/Taunt/Return

So, the idea is this:

You can grab +1/+1 vs. a threat that would be scared out by Tornadus on a rain team such as a Fighting-type, Gliscor, or others. If it's something weak like Ferrothorn, proceed to boost up again or Taunt to prevent Thunder Wave. You can do 60% minimum to 252/252 Ferrothorn with Flight Gem, so with some residual damage you can KO it as it switches in. +1 Brick Break 1hko's 252 HP TTar. This set can also set up Tailwind vs. threats like Excadrill with +1 in defense and respond with a quick 1hko via Brick Break, since ttar->exca would be a common response from most players.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Metaknight @ Focus Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 160 HP with good DI / 96 Atk / 252 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

-Hurricane
-Fly
-Double Hit
-Quick Attack

A few days ago, I stumbled upon someone using this set on PO, and I have to say that it's effective in unrated OU and even more effective in Ubers. One of the first things that one should note about this set is that it's meant to be played more defensively than anything due to the amount of Pokemon, such as Bowser, who can punish Metaknight for being too aggressive. With his stellar defensive potential, Metaknight doesn't take much to get into play so long as one uses Hurricane the second Metaknight becomes exposed to potential damage (although, the SR weakness can be a bit unsettling at times). Speaking of which, Hurricane can be used both defensively (when Metaknight needs some breathing room set a Fly up) and offensively (in order to weaken the opposition for a Quick Attack sweep), so remember to keep that in mind as well. The goal of this set is to weaken everything with Hurricane and Fly + Quick Attack until the target is within KO range of Double Hit, which is virtually unpunishable due to Metaknight's blistering Speed and Double Hit's amazingly high base power thanks to Technician and STAB (this works best on Pokemon rendered useless by Hurricane, like Captain Falcon, Bowser, Peach, and Ganondorf). A Calm nature is preferred, as this Metaknight won't be able to abuse his good di points and live past 160 if played aggressively. Focus Band complements the nature and EVs so well that it's just a must for the set. Speed is maxed out for obvious reasons and the rest is thrown into Metaknight's offense so his best attacks stay fresh and unknown to the opposing team. As far as partners go, Metaknight enjoys being in the presence of other Metaknight, but functions fairly well with Snake, Diddy Kong and, ironically enough, Ganondorf.

Don't be afraid to experiment with Metaknight, as he has tons of options worth trying in both the Uber and OU metagame.

Good luck to anyone using this set, btw. It nets me at least three KO's every match, sometimes without even taking damage! (although, this might be because I play unrated OU, but w/e, have fun)

alamaster

Smash Journeyman
Lately I've been using this Jirachi set:

Jirachi @ leftovers

Calm Mind
Thunder
Grass Knot
Hp Ice

It's meant to defeat it's counters while being a supportive team member and taking advantage of Drizzle being up. It defeats Gliscor in one shot after a calm mind, gets parahax with Thunder and Grassknot destroys Gastrodon and Tyranitar who otherwise give special Jirachi fits. It's rather good, I've used it to get 1450 on smogon and gain voting reqs and thought I would post it to show that original sets do work.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Tery

no Rachi runs HP Ice or GK

It's pretty odd

The other problems still pertain, though

Top Bottom