• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My Ike updated 11-20-08

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey there Ike boards. Can you guys give me some constructive criticism on my ike and what's it's strong points and weak points. Thank you everyone in advance. Ill try to update with more videos later.
11-2-08
Katsu(Ike) vs. Neji(Falco) 1
Katsu(Ike) vs. Tina(Fox) 4
Katsu(Ike) vs. Neji(Link) 6
Katsu(Ike) vs. Tina(Fox) 1
Katsu(Ike) vs. Tina(Fox) 3
Katsu(Ike) vs. Tina(Fox) 1
11-13-08
Katsu(Ike) vs. AWSUM(Link)
11-16-08
Katsu(Ike) vs. Scott(Snake)
Katsu(Ike) vs. Zez(Ganondorf)
11-20-08
Katsu(Ike) vs. Tina(Fox)
Katsu(Ike) vs. Cpt.B(Marth)
Katsu(Ike) vs. Tina(Fox) 2

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
wow thats the worst falco i ever saw. he uses fair alot and can't chaingrab.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Um, first of all, your opponents are pretty bad. The Falco never airdodges, and the Fox Dair>Shine's on stage..? Never heard of that before. Second, you need to use aaa more, as well as pummeling after you grab. DThrow>Aether almost never works, so don't even try it. Go for spikes and edgeguards more. Use your range.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Only watched the first match:

1) That was a terrible Falco. He didn't even SH his lasers, his attempts to CG were half baked, and his attempts to air dodge your attacks were terriblely timed.

2) Online is generally speaking terrible for showing what you can do.

3) Not enough jab canceling. When you see he's standing out of range, cancel the jab. That happened several times. If the player had been good, you would of been harshly punished. You also only attempted to cancel your jab with a few grabs, which you were too slow with.

4) Speaking of grabs: if it misses, don't try again. You will be punished, you should be retreating.

5) You didn't retreat with your Fairs. You stayed in once place, which works for attacking if you are predicting that your opponent will try to move back a bit instead of spot dodging, but for defending, SH Retreating Fairs are the way to go. You got the SH part down with the Nair and forward Fairs, just start moving backwards with them.

6) Too much rolling, not enough spotdodging, and too much dodging in a row in general. You don't need to spotdodge and roll 4 or 5 times in a row. If you do have to, you have placed yourself in a terrible situation.

7) Shield -> Attack. You did it a few times, but most of the time if you did shield an attack, you didn't capitalize on it. Ike is a punisher.

8) You shouldn't of let the Falco grab the ledge so many times in a row. It was like, 3 ledge grabs in a row. The Fire Falco's you could have edgehogged or Eruption'd. Maybe even Dair'd, but he was fairly close to the stage.

9) QDing for movement was fine, but you charged it too long. You should still be running up the last little bit, to make sure he doesn't intercept it, shield it, and punish you for it.

Ya.......unless there was a big difference in the other videos, a fair bit to work on. You're better then the random noobs online, don't get me wrong. I'm just sololy pointing out the flaws because thats the way I am. ^_^

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Nidtendofreak for the advice. Some other matches were offline like ones against Tina are offline. Ill try to do what your telling me and fix my mistakes.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It would be nice if you could get better opponents to Brawl...it also helps that the connection is best so that it doesn't become even less irrelevent.

I looked at the Link video because nobody else specifically mentioned it, and I'm sitting here thinking to myself "Oh c'mon, who the Hell Bombjumps ONSTAGE?!"

You know, you live in Cali, if you feel like hitting me up I can give you some pointers, as long as lag allows it. I play Ike and Sonic, so I won't have to ditto you to find out your skill and I will be able to correct you on anything I might happen to catch on with Sonic.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Okay, I looked at the second match now (first off line one)

You were better in that one, but still had the issue about not retreating with Fairs. It outranges almost any other possible attack in the air (only a few Zairs and ZSS's Side B can outrange it, along with projectiles). I can't stress enough how important it is to learn how to do this. Even if the guy shields it on the ground, in most cases, he can't hit you in time before you can act.

You may want to switch the c-stick from Smash to attack. That way, when you use Dair, you won't fast fall to your doom.

And don't use QD to recover. You only did it once, but I'll touch on it. Anyplace you can QD to recovery, you can Aether recover, assuming you still have your second jump IIRC. There are very few situations were QDing would be better then Aether. If the guy is underneath you while you are both off the stage, it might be better to QD, or if he's closer to the edge then you and you would rather get back to the stage instead of attempting to knocking him away. Those two situations don't happen often, as most of the time it would be better to attack (unless it's MK, in which case, get the heck back to the stage)

One last point about recovering: aim Aether to grab the ledge, otherwise you will be punished for the landing lag.

Besides that, like I said before, better then online, which is normal for most people.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I looked at the second match now (first off line one)

You were better in that one, but still had the issue about not retreating with Fairs. It outranges almost any other possible attack in the air (only a few Zairs and ZSS's Side B can outrange it, along with projectiles). I can't stress enough how important it is to learn how to do this. Even if the guy shields it on the ground, in most cases, he can't hit you in time before you can act.

You may want to switch the c-stick from Smash to attack. That way, when you use Dair, you won't fast fall to your doom.

And don't use QD to recover. You only did it once, but I'll touch on it. Anyplace you can QD to recovery, you can Aether recover, assuming you still have your second jump IIRC. There are very few situations were QDing would be better then Aether. If the guy is underneath you while you are both off the stage, it might be better to QD, or if he's closer to the edge then you and you would rather get back to the stage instead of attempting to knocking him away. Those two situations don't happen often, as most of the time it would be better to attack (unless it's MK, in which case, get the heck back to the stage)

One last point about recovering: aim Aether to grab the ledge, otherwise you will be punished for the landing lag.

Besides that, like I said before, better then online, which is normal for most people.
Ok thanks for the advice. Ill try to use the aether first before the QD.
If we did ever fight before, I don't remember.
My online name is Chris and When i played you i use the name Katsu.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, seeing as how you're Online again now (I was too slow earlier.), care for a couple of rounds of @$$-Shoop-da-whoopin'?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh alright then...except what are you doing reading this post if you are at your GF's house?!

Just kidding...or am I?

GamerdudeAT

Smash Apprentice
Watching you play kind of reminds me of myself. I LOVE that meteor smash that Ike has. I use it all the time and sometimes get a KO in the first 5 seconds of a FFA match.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
hey everyone i updated the thread with one more vid. Ill upload the other ones later. Any critique is welcome. Can you tell me what are my strong points and weak points ect. ect. Thanks in advance.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You're not patient which seems to be the main issue. You dodge and roll out of instinct and not in actual response to an attack or maneuver, you act prematurely when someone is on the ledge.

More importantly, your friend not only screwed up 3 perfectly good kills on you but lost ALL 3 himself by shoddy edgehogging/guarding. You shouldnt have come back on any of those hog attempts but he screwed it up, badly...

Also you dont Nair enough, arturito handled all of this though

Kirk

Smash Champion
It's hard to judge a person's ability when their opponent is constantly killing themselves and the like. My suggestion is to upload a match where both you and your opponent are playing well and not making any horrendous mistakes.

Also, I'd go with Ryko and Arturo on their comments. They covered it well.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Try punishing a bit more, there were times (such as 0:50) where you punished with a Upsmash, but easily could have killed him with Fsmash. You punished, but not hard enough.

Also less Qdrawing, but that's more a matter of taste, if you end up hitting him you'll end up regretting it.

You're improving but still got ways to go ;) Again, try to mix up the jabs alot =]

Keep it up!

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
If I were the snake I would have rolled behind you and charged an fsmash behind me because every time your back was to him you always rolled in the same direction. Cut it out.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
I have to sleep now but watched one vid, and I see you are picking up on the jabcancel.
You still have ways to go to incorparate it into your gameplay, but its a step in the right direction^^

I'll view the rest tomorrow!

Gnight,

Royta

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
You didn't shine as much in the first video as you did in the last, though it was a little silly what the fox had done and it looked like they were panicing, you did well and you used the jabcancel well man. Good show over all.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
*face palm* stop going to FD. you need to pratice other stages.

-Your spacing is very bad especially with Fair.

-Dthrow to aether doesn't work you don't even need to air dodge it just hold left or right to get out of the way.

-stop approaching with QD its a horrible thing to do.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
*face palm* stop going to FD. you need to pratice other stages.

-Your spacing is very bad especially with Fair.

-Dthrow to aether doesn't work you don't even need to air dodge it just hold left or right to get out of the way.

-stop approaching with QD its a horrible thing to do.
Ok we'll try to play other stages rather than FD. I only use dthrow to aether sometimes for mind games and stuff and ill try to stop approaching with QD.

You didn't shine as much in the first video as you did in the last, though it was a little silly what the fox had done and it looked like they were panicing, you did well and you used the jabcancel well man. Good show over all.
Thanks Ill try to improve my ike better. Ill try to mix up my jabs with other attacks next time.

I have to sleep now but watched one vid, and I see you are picking up on the jabcancel.
You still have ways to go to incorparate it into your gameplay, but its a step in the right direction^^

I'll view the rest tomorrow!

Gnight,

Royta
Thanks for the comment. Hope you enjoy my other vids.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I honestly didn't have an issue with the QDs onstage, except for one of them that was too close to where the Fox was, and the one you used for attacking. With onstage QDs, you shouldn't be anywhere near the opponent when you are done. It's too risky otherwise. For the offstage QDs, the one you used while he was firing his blaster was a bit risky but doable, and the other one should of be outright gimp'd.

You have jab canceling down, but a lot of the time it's better to use the first two jabs before canceling and going for the grab. More damage and all of that. Mix it up a bit. Throw in some complete AAA combos as well.

You need to space your Fairs a LOT better. You were almost hitting him with the handle. You should be hitting with the very tip, or at least around the area where the blade gets wider.

You were also getting predictable. By the end of the match, I was guessing what your next move would be, and was right almost 3/4 of the time. You also have a bad habit of standing still after you shield, which the Fox picked up on after the first few times. You should have been punishing those rolls behind you after he hits on your shields, or doing something other then standing there with the shield still on, and then dropping it as he came out of the roll.

EDIT: And just out of curiosity: how is your wifi connection? I know that last match at least (the one I watched) was offline, but I'd like to give a online match against you a shot, provided I can get a good enough signal. My signal is still lousy right now, but you aren't nearly as far away as most of the other Ikes on this board.

Phlemingo

Smash Ace
I saw a couple of the vids and there were a couple things that concerned me.

You tried to approach with Ike's F-air, which isn't a bad idea if you know how to approach correctly with it. Try full-hopping the fair. Because of its incredible range it can still hit a standing opponent. You seemed to want to short hop fast fall a fair or short hop fast fall a nair and found yourself getting shield grabbed by fox because of your predictability. One thing I might experiment with is observing how your opponents put up their shield as you jumped towards them. If they like shielding a lot, pretend like you're going to use a fair or nair but instead, don't attack at all. Instead, simply short hop and when you touch the ground, grab them. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw results fast.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
the only problem with that is if they were trying to shield grab you, instead they'd just grab you when they didn't see you attack.

I'd only do that once, maybe twice for surprise, but it's just asking you to get grabbed

Royta

Smash Journeyman
finally got to the point of watching the video's, one part that might be a nice improvement is that you approach with Fair. Don't do this to often if you know it's gonna be shielded.
The marth pretty much shielded it all the time and punished you for it, try and use it mostly for spacing and retreating with it, if you attack with it make sure you hit with the tip of the blade, not the center! ^^

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
I honestly didn't have an issue with the QDs onstage, except for one of them that was too close to where the Fox was, and the one you used for attacking. With onstage QDs, you shouldn't be anywhere near the opponent when you are done. It's too risky otherwise. For the offstage QDs, the one you used while he was firing his blaster was a bit risky but doable, and the other one should of be outright gimp'd.

You have jab canceling down, but a lot of the time it's better to use the first two jabs before canceling and going for the grab. More damage and all of that. Mix it up a bit. Throw in some complete AAA combos as well.

You need to space your Fairs a LOT better. You were almost hitting him with the handle. You should be hitting with the very tip, or at least around the area where the blade gets wider.

You were also getting predictable. By the end of the match, I was guessing what your next move would be, and was right almost 3/4 of the time. You also have a bad habit of standing still after you shield, which the Fox picked up on after the first few times. You should have been punishing those rolls behind you after he hits on your shields, or doing something other then standing there with the shield still on, and then dropping it as he came out of the roll.

EDIT: And just out of curiosity: how is your wifi connection? I know that last match at least (the one I watched) was offline, but I'd like to give a online match against you a shot, provided I can get a good enough signal. My signal is still lousy right now, but you aren't nearly as far away as most of the other Ikes on this board.
Well my connection isnt bad. I played other people that lived in texas and our connection was good. So we should have no problems.

I saw a couple of the vids and there were a couple things that concerned me.

You tried to approach with Ike's F-air, which isn't a bad idea if you know how to approach correctly with it. Try full-hopping the fair. Because of its incredible range it can still hit a standing opponent. You seemed to want to short hop fast fall a fair or short hop fast fall a nair and found yourself getting shield grabbed by fox because of your predictability. One thing I might experiment with is observing how your opponents put up their shield as you jumped towards them. If they like shielding a lot, pretend like you're going to use a fair or nair but instead, don't attack at all. Instead, simply short hop and when you touch the ground, grab them. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw results fast.
Ok then ill try to mix up my attacks and improve more of not getting predictable.

the only problem with that is if they were trying to shield grab you, instead they'd just grab you when they didn't see you attack.

I'd only do that once, maybe twice for surprise, but it's just asking you to get grabbed
finally got to the point of watching the video's, one part that might be a nice improvement is that you approach with Fair. Don't do this to often if you know it's gonna be shielded.
The marth pretty much shielded it all the time and punished you for it, try and use it mostly for spacing and retreating with it, if you attack with it make sure you hit with the tip of the blade, not the center! ^^
Ok royta ill try to practice more on my spacing with ike. Thanks.

Top Bottom