• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranking moves in Characters (Round 21: Discussing Down-Special)

What will you like to discuss next?

• Jabs

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Grabs

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Continue with Specials

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I'm shocked we're still on Dsmash.

:4ganondorf: can at least warrant a B or C-tier I feel, because the move simply hits super hard & is a solid killing Dsmash if not one of the most dangerous Dsmashes on-hit. High kb overall, good damage, can punish more than several options out of Disadvantage, you can't undermind this move to say the least. . There's that awkward point in the move where they get launched in front of Ganon & not behind like he wants, but that doesn't happen often enough for it to be a huge deal from keeping the rankings down to C-tier. At very worst, it can be seen as C-tier on-block, but the majority of Dsmashes ranked high can be seen as C-tier or lower on-block so.
The reason we're still on it is because the discussion became dead for several days in a row. I'm also going to stick by my opinion that zard's d-smash is perfectly fine in B-tier where it is. Perfect for edge-guarding and platform camping, no sourspot on any part of it's massive range, can be whipped out just as quickly as U-smash with the only downsides being near no vertical range (it's pretty much all horizontal) and endlag which actually isn't incredibly awful, forward smash has end-lag that's just as bad if not worse.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
The reason we're still on it is because the discussion became dead for several days in a row. I'm also going to stick by my opinion that zard's d-smash is perfectly fine in B-tier where it is. Perfect for edge-guarding and platform camping, no sourspot on any part of it's massive range, can be whipped out just as quickly as U-smash with the only downsides being near no vertical range (it's pretty much all horizontal) and endlag which actually isn't incredibly awful, forward smash has end-lag that's just as bad if not worse.
Charizard's dsmash is definitely not as fast as his usmash and it has bad endlag. It's pretty good at the ledge, but that's about its only use. Maybe B tier, but C seems more fitting.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Charizard's dsmash is definitely not as fast as his usmash and it has bad endlag. It's pretty good at the ledge, but that's about its only use. Maybe B tier, but C seems more fitting.
I'm not going to deny that zard's has endlag but due to it's massive range and knockback it can be used to approach punish, punisH landing and punish whiffs. Using it at the ledge isn't it's only use. On top of that even if it is slower than zard's U-smash it's still really fast without that silly head hurtbox that d-tilt has. I'd trade D-smash for d-tilt because at least I know if my attack is going off at the same time as my opponent's I won't have to worry about extending my hurtbox when I attack.

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Hey guys I'm so sorry about being late, am planning to get the DSmash list for tonight. Also Samuelwisebaggins Samuelwisebaggins thks for pointing that out, will try to fix that asap.

Sorry again

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
My post means little, but to put in my last two cents about Dsmash discussion, I'm here to remind that despite Shulk's Dsmash is seen as very, very bad, it's one of if not the only Dsmash I've ever witness break a full shield at ledge, on-stage, or dealt guaranteed shield-poking damage. When that shield-break happens at ledge, it's a free stock & lead advantage for Shulk to do very degenerate things. Perhaps other Dsmashes can do this, but I sure haven't seen a single Dsmash do such a thing unless it was a double-Dsmash on block such as Luigi or Captain Falcon as examples almost breaking shields. I've seen very few rare cases with Falcon, but Shulk's Dsmash is soooooo easy to break shields when you have the moments sealed.

Again, I've broken shields in Vanilla or Buster. Obviously Buster makes it cheesy-easy, but the point: you don't need it to break shields. Vanilla can do it too.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Ok so here is the final update for Down-Smash finally:

Sorry I had postponed it for so long, here are the changes:

TL;DR:
:4littlemac:A -> S
:4mewtwo: S -> A
:4ganondorf: A -> B
:4luigi: B -> A
:4olimar: C -> A
:4rob: A -> B
:4kirby: C -> B
:4bayonetta2: B -> C
:4peach: B -> C
:4yoshi: B -> C
:4lucario: C -> D

Ok so with that done, we can now finally move on to our final category in Specials. We already did Up-Special a while back, so now I would like to move on to Neutral-Special. Due to specials kinda more nuance when ranking them, here are some guidelines I think we could use:
  • The utility / damage / effectiveness in general of the move in relation to the character.
  • How well the move fits in conjunction with the rest of the characters kit.
  • A general vacuum comparison to the other neutral specials (although this criteria should be looked at last and not be weighed on as heavily).
Let's get discussing!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Sheik, Mewtwo, and Lucario are probably in S.

Kirby's is realllllllyyyy hard to tell lol

EDIT: Actually, I could see A in a vacuum, along with Monado Arts. If anyone else - like say Bayonetta - had either of those... it could be pretty dumb lol.

Last edited:

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Since I'm here early, I'm going to try and establish some sort of baseline.

S tier: Sheik needles:4sheik:
A tier: Diddy Peanut Popgun:4diddy:
B tier: Marth Shield Breaker:4marth:
C tier: Link Arrow:4link:
D tier: Peach Toad:4peach:
F tier: Jigglypuff Rollout:4jigglypuff:

These specials are all, in my opinion, pretty much perfect examples of what each tier looks like. Sheik needles are the perfect tool - camp, anti-camp, kill confirm - and fill out a large spce in her kit. Popgun is a useful projectile for edgeguarding and B-reverse/shield cancel tricks, even if it's catchable and kind of weak. Shield breaker is situational, but devastating as a mixup or kill option. Link's arrow doesn't have a lot of uses compared to the rest of his kit, but is still and strong and usable projectile. Peach's counter is... interesting, but overall not too usable. Lastly, Jigglypuff's Rollout has no redeeming qualities besides forcing the opponent to shield for a little bit before they punish you.

I can see many specials being very difficult to place. Pikmin pluck literally makes Olimar function as a character, but in a vacuum does nothing at all. Kirby's Inhale is wholly dependant on how good the opponent's neutral B is, since Kirbycide is super unreliable. Little Mac's neutral B is universally agreed to be bad, but do we count KO punch?

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
:4sheik:: Needle Storm is S-tier. Good range, difficult to react to, decent damage, and can combo into other moves from the air. And the charge can be shield-cancelled. It has everything you could want from a projectile, and even after the range nerf, it remains one of the best camping options in the game, that for some reason has been given to a character whose design is that of a rush-down.

:4metaknight:: a high-risk, high-reward move. Very good for covering ledge options, and as a very low-percent follow-up from dash attack and down throw. Does 20+ damage and because it's easy to combo into at low percents, it does have an affect on the match, and this move's reward is a blessing for a character whose damage-per-hit is otherwise mostly poor. Tornado is also useful as an air dodge punish, such as at the end of an up air string when Shuttle Loop won't kill, with Tornado giving MK the highest possible reward. It kills at good percents, and is deceptively strong with rage because of 55 BKB. Also a pretty good platform pressure option after chipping away at an opponent's shield with up airs. However, the ending lag is ugly (53 total frames, up from 29 in Brawl), and the move has deceptively low priority; I've seen the late hit of Sheik's nair beat it out.

I'd put MK's Tornado in B, but I think it could possibly be A-tier good.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Corrin's is C. Paralysis is nice, and the bite is really strong, but it's laggy and the projectile clanks with everything.
I could see Monado Arts being S, because of how drastically it changes the character.
Thunder is A, because Arcthunder is awesome and it also comes bundled with a fast projectile that charges quickly and a screen-crossing kill projectile.
Pit's is in B-A; its maneuverability makes it great for edgeguarding and stuff. Dark Pit's is probably C.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Charizard's flamethrower has a ton of utility as a ledge and edgetrapper, shield pressure, and damage racker. The only problem is that you need to be hitting the opponent continuously in order to do decent damage and the range decreases the longer it's held. To top things off it starts off aimed straight down and can only be aimed straight forward, it can't be aimed up all that much. It's a useful move in zard's toolkit but it can't kill, pushes an opponent too far back to combo, and doesn't really help if you end up with the opponent behind you. I'd say B-tier.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Warlock punch is pretty ****, but it has a niche as an amazing shield break punish (kills pretty much every character below 15% with reverse punch) & Ganon is one of the better shield breakers in the game, so the move isn't totally useless like Rollout or Clown Cannon.
Also it is usable in a couple of MUs lol (mostly vs Zard and DDD) but other than that it's only good as a shield break punish.
Idk where to put it, it's D at best but idk if it's bad enough for F since it actually has SOME use.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
:4shulk:'s Monado Arts are definitely S-tier, regardless if it's discussion within a vacuum or strictly on Shulk.

This move is the character & there's so many things you can do with arts that nothing in this video game can re-create in another special move. All I have to say in a TL;DR to prove this move is easily S-tier-worthy:
  • Multiple parameters changed / increased / reduced that affect Shulk in both positive & negative results

• Art's activation pose uninterrupted is intangible from frame 1-14

• Can cancel landing lag from an aerial or airdodge & receive, at least, 0 frames of landing lag. Therefore, at best you would only suffer 5 frames of endlag, acting on the 6th frame if you desired to (If you took this into a vacuum. . .for example, just think of a perfect art landing cancel from Bowser's Bair taking 0 frames of lag. Now imagine yourself in so much block-stun & being grabbed immediately because you could do nothing being stuck in shield-stun from a frame 8 command grab grounded while you sit there taking 13 frames of block-stun. . .It's okay to cry now). Also, this deserves huge notice to say that you can cancel airdodge lag with something so easy & usable on-the-fly. Such a blessing seriously. Airdodge intangibility on top of art activation intangibility & then frame 1 shield. Honestly. . .

• Extremely applicable with tech, mixups, play-style shifts, counterplay, etc..
-
Heck, an individual art can last for 16 seconds, only has 10 seconds of cooldown, the arts can be deactivated via buffering system in between moves & actions, & you can aerial pivot your direction to face a different direction upon the art's activation. Not to mention being able to B-Reverse grounded & airborne as well as reversing a B-R to completely space anything you want while facing your opponent. This application to B-Reverse during the art activation & act as early on as frame 6 of that is amazing, considering that most characters can't even perform such a thing with their Neutral-B. The most they can do is commit to that option, & tap shield (if they can even do that) to airdodge when you feel like you'll be approached.

And I know that there's still a huge amount of misconception about the arts, so there's a spoiler down there to correct dumb claims for those interested:
  • The Monado is the sword. Arts are the tools / options. They are not Monados.

• None of the arts change weight. Shield & Smash affect a multiplier that strictly affects the knockback Shulk receives. This includes early knockback (BKB), late knockback (KBG), & even set knockback (WBKB).

• Jump art improves the vertical rising height to Air Slash, as well as the drifting speed. Speed art does not reduce vertical rising height to Air Slash, as it primarily improves the air drifting speed of Air Slash, meaning that you can delay Air Slash intentionally to get crazy drifting distance. Shield art does not reduce vertical rising height to Air Slash, but the air drifting speed of Air Slash is dramatically reduced.

• As funny as the joke is, Shield art does not make Vision counterattacks stronger. Rage is just always maxed thanks to living past 150% with the art active.

Here's a very complex & informative spoiler about the arts (Don't read this unless you're curious / interested):
GENERAL ART STUFF
  • It takes 46 frames for an art to finally activate on its first frame when no hitlag or shield-hitlag occurs as you cycle & stop on an art.
  • Duration of an art not manually deactivated is 16 seconds, aka 960 frames.
  • Cooldown of an art after deactivation is 10 seconds, aka 600 frames.
  • It takes a full second for a manual held press to deactivate said art, aka 60 frames (This is mostly useless, as you can't input anything else except for holding your special-press. . .you can't even touch the joystick).
JUMP ART STUFF
  • The Hop velocity is improved for Shulk's Short Hop, Full Hop, & Doublejump. This also applies to his ledge-jump going higher too since he has a higher Ledge Jump Velocity multiplier. However, his footstool jumpsquat held or tapped does not increase in jump height.
  • Shulk's Air Acceleration and Air Speed are increased, but not deceleration or air friction.
  • Fall Speed, Fast Fall Speed, & Gravity are increased. So for example, Shulk's shield-break leap goes very, not high. .
  • Damage Taken multiplier is 1.22x, meaning he takes 22% more damage. This doesn't exactly mean he dies earlier to moves though, since the increase of fall speed & gravity means that he can survive against vertical knockback more-so, than before.
  • EXTRA: Short Hop tomahawk / approaches are ****ing terrifying.
  • EXTRA: Jump art is a very degenerate art. The damage taken multiplier can matter very little to Shulk.
SPEED ART STUFF
  • Air Acceleration & Air Speed are improved, similarly to Jump art. But also like Jump, deceleration or air friction are not.
  • The max walk & run speed are improved. Makes you the fastest walker & 2nd fastest dasher / runner behind Sonic.
  • Initial Dash speed & Dash acceleration are increased. This can basically explain why Speed art's perfect pivot is so good. And perfect pivoting an Up tilt is insane stage presence. This also means that Dash ability far exceeds any character.
  • Ground Friction is improved, meaning that you take less shield knockback. Combine shielding with a perfect pivot is yes.
  • Damage you deal is 0.8x the damage, aka you deal –20% less damage. Not a big deal, but still a damper on kill power.
  • Hop velocity is reduced. So your Short Hop, Full Hop, & Doublejump are weakened. However, ledgejump is not.
  • EXTRA: Monadacus is low-key dangerous caught-off guard. Don't sleep on this
  • EXTRA: Buffer deactivation extends the combo ability from a Dthrow into Fair.
SHIELD ART STUFF
  • Damage you take is reduced down to 0.67x being dealt. As in, you take 33% less damage. So good.
  • Knockback you receive is reduced down to 0.78x being launched. As in, you take 22% less knockback.
  • Your bubble shield's HP is dramatically increased by 1.5x the amount, having up to 75 HP instead of the standard 50.
  • Even your bubble shield's regeneration is improved by 1.3x the amount, regeneration up to 0.104 HP per frame instead of the standard 0.08. So good. . .
  • Air Acceleration & Air Speed are reduced down by 0.6x the amount. This makes your Air Acceleration the slowest in the game, & Air Speed slower than Luigi, but still faster than DDD.
  • Walk Acceleration & Walk Speed are drastically reduced down to 0.6x the amount. Slowest walk speed in the game.
  • Initial Dash Speed, Dash Acceleration, & Run Speed are heavily reduced down. Slowest run speed in the game.
  • Hop Velocity is reduced. So your Short Hop, Full Hop, & Doublejump are weakened. However, ledgejump is not.
  • EXTRA: Shield art is ridiculously cheese & is the reason any safe Shulk will survive up to the 200% mark & beyond.
  • EXTRA: A Short Hop Airdodge autocancels quite well. Neat.
  • EXTRA: If you feel threatened in shield, cycle to Shield & get increased regen on top of a stronger shield. Bide time.
  • EXTRA: The knockback & damage reductions affect the effects in this game too. Meaning, you can reduce the time being frozen, asleep, paralyzed, buried, etc..
P.S. Didn't care to mention Buster & Smash art stuff. Sorry. Maybe later.

Verdict: There's way too many things to talk about with Arts. I've only scratched a surface with this wall of text & I could go on, & on, & on. S-tier to the max.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I guess Mega Man's Metal Blade goes in A or B tier... Do I really really need to explain why ? It comes decently fast, and creates one of the best Items in competitive play. It can also lead to kill confirms, which is something Mega Man severely lacks.

Nah

Smash Champion
Gonna also say that Robin neutral B is A-tier. It's basically 4 moves in one, one of which is a good combo and kill set-up (Arcthunder), and another is a death beam with practically infinite horizontal range that beats out most other projectiles in the game (Thoron). Thunder and Elthunder are not bad either. B-reverse thunder charge is decent too.

It's just also not more than A-tier at all since it's attached to Robin, can't be micro-charged, and even though the endlag reductions in 1.10 helped a lot (basically the whole reason it's good now instead of very average like it was pre-buff), the four spells still don't have exactly what I'd call great frame data. It's also hard to see it as quite as good as stuff like Needles or whatever people consider S-tier.

:4ness: PK Flash is garbage.

And what do people think of :4luigi: fireballs these days?

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
:4ness:- lol
(In all seriousness at most you can use it to ledge guard Ganondorf and Mac in very specific situations since their recoveries go nowhere but why when you have much better options)

:4falco:- Bad but not Ness bad, they have use in laser locking at mid percentages and do well as a off stage harass move since it will cause the opponent to lose horizontal momentum if they are hit, the off chance you catch a second jump with laser you'll set up a easy Dair or Fair edge guard. The only time I'll use it on stage is if I have a lead and in trying to harass the opponent into approaching me but other than that it's way to laggy to bother with, D tier

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
The chargeable neutral b moves and Shulk's are the best neutral b moves:
:4sheik::4shulk::4wiifit::4samus::4mewtwo::4lucario::4robinf::4pacman:

To do a run down of the differences in these moves (although Sheik's and Shulk's are S tier no question):

:4wiifit: Sun Salutation charges the fastest (tied with Lucario) and heals. It's the weakest of the chargeables in damage and knockback, but full charge Sun Salutation is very spammable because there is almost no disadvantage to missing a full charge--you get a heal and she can recharge quickly and easily. Being able to charge in the air gives her momentum shifts and along with the same momentum shifts she gets from down b, make her landing game really strong. Her low fall speed and strong ledge game mean that she can jump off stage and charge if she wants (but it's usually not ideal). It also helps that she has a second projectile that's good and works well with SS.

:4samus: Charge Shot moves the fastest in the air and ties Shadow Ball in damage and knockback. Compared to Shadow Ball, CS comes out of her body and travels in the air significantly faster. CS comes out the fastest of the chargeables, which combined with its speed make it the most difficult to react to (and gives it combo potential from uair, dair, utilt). Samus's moveset has lots of horizontal knockback moves that set up tech chase situations with CS at all percents. CS is the only chargeable that can't be charged in the air. That said, her combos often end with the opponent off stage allowing her to charge, and at higher percents any horizontal knockback move will give her plenty of time to charge. CS comes into play multiple times per game and makes the character much more threatening. CS is by far the best chargeable for killing. Samus's other high shield damage moves plus the speed of CS makes CS good for shield breaking as well.

:4mewtwo: Shadow Ball has comparatively low FAF and that combined with Mewtwo's run speed make uncharged SB a good neutral tool. Full SB is tied with CS for damage and knockback, but it's very slow to come out and to move in the air. That and Mewtwo's general lack of setups into it make it possibly the worst chargeable for killing, but it's a possibility that can't be discounted and a full charge still makes the character pretty threatening. There is very little disadvantage to missing a full charge SB. If reflected, Mewtwo can reflect back. If he misses, then he regains access to uncharged SB which is probably better for M2 anyway. And if it hits, it can kill sub 100 or do 25%. The fact that SB wobbles makes the move a little more challenging to power shield, and the move gives M2 aerial mobility shifts.

:4lucario: Aura Sphere I feel is the best overall. Low charge and low aura AS isn't very good at all. AS is tied with SS for fastest charge time and ties SS for second highest speed in the air. High aura AS is super damaging and kills early, and the move is hella spammable. The biggest advantage is the damage the actual charging animation does. The hitboxes on AS charge give Lucario the best ledge guarding game in the game. For real. It covers every option from the ledge, if you get caught shielding on the ledge it will break your shield, if you get caught by the charging animation anywhere on the stage, it will combo into a move like aura usmash that will kill absurdly early. This move is so good.

Some things that they are all good at:
If an opponent fires a projectile, a full or partially charged chargeable will eat through it and punish it. This can shut down moves like Luigi's fireballs (which he depends on), Water Shuriken, or Link/Tink arrows and boomerangs. All of the chargeables are good at punishing poor SH approaches, all of the chargeables can bypass startup lag by releasing the move while charging, and a full charge makes all of the characters' neutrals more threatening except arguably M2's.

IMO AS is S tier and SB, CS, SS are A tier. The latter three are difficult to distinguish between. With CS' speed and kill setups, I would say that it is the best of the three, but it can't be charged in the air, so I don't know that I can say that.

Fruit charge and thunder I know less about (except that they're almost certainly A tier) so I won't go into details on those.

So for the record I think S tier is Sheik, Shulk, and Lucario.

Some other pretty good ones are :4wario2::4zss::4yoshi::4luigi::4megaman::4fox:

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
:4bowser:- flamebreath is a worse version of flamethrower. It has 23 frames of startup vs Zard's 20 and a FAF of 78 vs Zard's 71.

Also Flamebreath far flames don't cause knockback making it inferior at edgeguarding and less safe on shield when compared to flamethrower.

Flamebreath far hitboxes do deal more damege than flamethrower (1.2% vs 1%) but Zard's close flames deal more damage at 2% allowing the fliying lizard to reflect gordos.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's Eruption is one of the best onstage edge guarding tools in the game by being chargeable (outlasts some stall attempts), a massive hitbox, a large window for 2-framing, and some amount of super armour upon release (which lets it beat some recoveries that wound normally stop Eruption by hitting Ike out of it). Also pretty darn powerful in that situation.

Outside of that situation however.... in theory you can use a wavebounce with it to try to catch somebody going into the air after you off guard? Doesn't really have much of a use outside of that one situation. Slow start up, laggy, not powerful until charged.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Are you serious? You weren't paying attention to TL;DR were you? Yes zard wasn't moved but every single other character you listed was. I checked.
You don't get it. That was an example of several characters who should not be in the same tier.
Look at Gheb's list:
S-Tier: :4zss: :4littlemac:
A-Tier: :4darkpit: :4pit: :4mewtwo: :4ness: :rosalina:
B-Tier: :4drmario: :4luigi: :4mario: :4link: :4tlink: :4rob: :4zelda: :4cloud2:
C-Tier: :4lucas: :4dedede: :4corrinf: :4peach: :4megaman: :4sheik: :4bowser: :4charizard: :4dk: :4metaknight: :4robinf:
D-Tier: :4lucina: :4lucario: :4yoshi: :4wiifit: :4villager: :4shulk: :4myfriends: :4fox: :4falco: :4greninja: :4pikachu: :4sonic: :4bowserjr:
sub-D: :4wario: :4samus: :4duckhunt: :4palutena: :4jigglypuff:
Compared to the final.

Somehow :4rob: and :4villager: ended up in the same tier as one example. The input of people in this thread has very little influence on the "final" outcome.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Regarding top tier, I find Shulk to be the sole choice for S tier. With an A tie starting off with :4duckhunt::4sheik::4kirby::4lucario: before adding more. I do think :4pacman::4robinm::4wario::4wiifit::4villager: :4bayonetta::4zelda::4yoshi:should also be considered for A, but I know they're a harder sell and I like talking about bad moves primarily.

Also with :4olimar: there's no reasonable criteria to rank this move. I recommend his own N/A tier. Without neutral B, Olimar would not function as a character, particularly after losing the first stock. There's nothing to critique with the move. It takes 8 frames to pluck a pikmin, there's a specific order in appearance of pikmin, and it has no application from the air so it plays a 47 frame failure animation. Furthermore, if you attempt to pluck after reaching the pikmin limit, that animation from the ground is 32 frames. It's not bad or good, but without it, the character doesn't function. I realize that sentence sounds similar to Shulk's Arts, but with Shulk, you can still play the game without an Art equipped.

My immediate bottom tier is :4jigglypuff::4falcon::4bowserjr::4ganondorf:, with Ganon being the best of these four.

:4jigglypuff:: Rollout is awful. You need to charge up for at least 40 frames for a hitbox at all. 55-60 frames for a full charge. When you do hit, it's 14% damage and the move has very little chance of killing, despite the generously low launch angle. The knockback lags behind Fsmash and naturally doesn't come close to Rest. Jigglypuff goes into a special lag state after hitting an opponent. Assuming level ground, the endlag comes out to 72 frames. Jigglypuff can't let herself be so open to attack unless the move has as much reward as Rest. She can grab the ledge while rolling when used offstage, but there's a new issue should you use the move for recovery. If the opponent sits at the ledge with shield up, she'll collide with them and fall to her death. This is also true if they willingly go offstage to body block her. She needs to aim perfectly to be high enough to grab the ledge, but low enough to not touch the opponent. And if they know about this gimp opportunity, they won't give her that chance as they position themselves to get hit offstage or at the ledge.

:4falcon:: Falcon Punch is not only very unsafe with its 53 startup and 56 endlag, the reward on hit is only slightly stronger than his own, uncharged Fsmash. It would only kill about 10% earlier in a quick comparison test I'd ran. I also believe the Fsmash has a slight edge in range. The knockback is marginally better when reversed, but also marginally worse if performed from the air (note that performing the move from the air and landing before the hit comes out turns the move into the grounded version). Reversing Falcon Punch adds 8 startup and 3% more damage. Endlag is unchanged. This sort of move is ideal only for shield break scenarios, but I notice that a fully charged Fsmash is considerally better for killing than reversed Falcon Punch. So you'd only choose falcon punch in a shield break scenario where they have too little damage for either move to kill, so the reversed Punch would get out 2% more damage and not stale Fsmash. The lack of base knockback is a critical error in the move's design that even makes the attack punishable after you're hit at 0%. This move has so little utility for Falcon's moveset that I have to rate it as the worst neutral B, rivaled only by jigglypuff.

:4bowserjr:: Clown Cannon has 43 startup and 37 endlag. The full charged version has respectable damage and knockback on par with other charge shot moves, but no way to cancel or store the move. So of course it faces stiff competition from reflectors and just holding shield. When used offstage, the cannonball eventually falls, resulting in some edgeguard capability, but is unlikely to ever work with how slow the projectile is and how long it takes to launch. The move that best compares to this is Greninja's water shuriken, but water shuriken is miles better in startup, endlag, and projectile speed. While also allowing for further pressure should they shield the full charged variety (greninja can run up and grab them as they block the multihit and can only dodge roll to safety). When not engaging his opponent directly, Bowser jr is better off spawning a mechakoopa every day of the week.

:4ganondorf:: Warlock Punch is so much better than Falcon Punch. In strict comparison, WP has more damage and knockback, super armor for most of the startup, and 9 less endlag. It has 70 startup, but with moves this slow, you have to embrace the recklessness at some point. Reversing also adds 10 startup compared to Falcon's 8. When people block the punch, they expect to have enough time to put down shield and get a free smash attack, but it's simply not the case when they only have 21 (or 17 when reversed) frames, most of which must be spent walking forward since you've been pushed so far away. What you really only get is a dash grab/attack and not much else with most characters. It also bizarrely gets much stronger from the air, but Ganondorf cannot naturally jump high enough that it takes 70 frames to land. Plus you lose super armor with the air version. As for how the knockback compares to other moves – very good. For a shield break scenario, you generally only need 10-15% damage on the opponent for reversed WP to kill, and you should absolutely spend time walking into them so they get closer to the ledge. Fully charged Fsmash and Utilt just don't compare in knockback and damage, so the niche is undisputed with Ganon's moveset. But that niche is pretty much all he has, so it's hard to sell this move as a not bottom tier option.

The Bad but Not Bottom Tier Bad Tier is harder to make. What comes to mind for me immediately is :4tlink::4sonic::4ness::4darkpit::4lucas:and debatably :4link::4palutena::4peach::4feroy::4miibrawl::4falco::4fox::4diddy::4metaknight:. Cloud would be there too, but our standard set during Up Special discussion is that limit and non limit versions are considered. And by that standard, Little Mac's straight lunge and KO punch must be together.

:4bowser:- flamebreath is a worse version of flamethrower. It has 23 frames of startup vs Zard's 20 and a FAF of 78 vs Zard's 71.

Also Flamebreath far flames don't cause knockback making it inferior at edgeguarding and less safe on shield when compared to flamethrower.

Flamebreath far hitboxes do deal more damege than flamethrower (1.2% vs 1%) but Zard's close flames deal more damage at 2% allowing the fliying lizard to reflect gordos.
Knockback does not dictate shieldstun, damage does. As for edgeguarding, yes and no. If Bowser's flames touch ground, they'll cause knockback for 90-95% of their travel path, and both characters have precisely the same range. Both versions of the move are being used at the ledge for safe, free damage as a 2 frame punish, since recoveries with a big hitbox can safely pass through the flames of either character, knockback or no. Bowser's move becomes a damaging windbox after about half the travel path when spewed into the air, which makes the opponent not get a refresh on their Up B by deliberately recovering into flames. But the only MU where this is absolutely preferred is with Ness and Lucas. The flames push them away into a position where it is impossible for the projectile to reach their bottom, an instant kill opportunity should they try to recover too close to the ledge.

Bowser's slower frame data and inability to reflect gordos are the the biggest cons, but not a tiers worth of difference if you ask me. Charizard's move is unquestionably more useful to him because Bowser has equally optimal answers for covering 2 frame ledge snaps and ledge options (Ftilt and Fortress respectively) that Charizard does not have. Furthermore, both moves have a critical weakness when the opponent blocks it. When close enough to physically move behind them, you can dodge roll through flames for a guaranteed punish. Largely unknown to the average player, but it seems to work without fail. Wherever these moves are placed, it should be in the same middle tier.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
You don't get it. That was an example of several characters who should not be in the same tier.
Look at Gheb's list:

Compared to the final.

Somehow :4rob: and :4villager: ended up in the same tier as one example. The input of people in this thread has very little influence on the "final" outcome.
No the input of ONE person has very little influence on the final outcome. There was hardly any discussion after the initial results came out and what was discussed was mainly focused on ganondorf's down smash. We can't let a single person's opinion of what they think the tier list should be affect the entire outcome. tbh the fact that you would take the single voice of a person (albeit an experienced and respected person) be the end all say all of this list is kinda scary.
If this had been discussed a lot more (after funbot28 gave the final warning about putting up the tier lists) then maybe we'd have a different outcome. If you have a problem with things PARTICIPATE. I didn't see any of you say anything for a few days after the initial conversation died down so you can't gripe if things don't turn out the way YOU want them to.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Bowser's slower frame data and inability to reflect gordos are the the biggest cons, but not a tiers worth of difference if you ask me. Charizard's move is unquestionably more useful to him because Bowser has equally optimal answers for covering 2 frame ledge snaps and ledge options (Ftilt and Fortress respectively) that Charizard does not have. Furthermore, both moves have a critical weakness when the opponent blocks it. When close enough to physically move behind them, you can dodge roll through flames for a guaranteed punish. Largely unknown to the average player, but it seems to work without fail. Wherever these moves are placed, it should be in the same middle tier.
Nah, flamethrower is undoubtedly at least 1 tier above flamebreath. It is safer in neutral, safer on shield, safer on hit, has better control, better hurtboxes, better ledge coverage, and better at gimping recoveries

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
On the shield safety part i expressed myself wrong. I meant to say flamethrower pushes the opponents shield farther due to it not turning into a windbox middway through, thus when taking into account that it also has lower endlag safer than flamebreath.

Both moves are pretty decent anyways. Probably they should be on the same tier.

Do Zard's and Bowser's neutral b angle at different speeds? Couldn't find any information on that.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Nah, flamethrower is undoubtedly at least 1 tier above flamebreath. It is safer in neutral, safer on shield, safer on hit, has better control, better hurtboxes, better ledge coverage, and better at gimping recoveries
All untrue except "safe in neutral", of which Flamethrower slightly excels thanks to 3 less endlag. They're functionally the same attack onstage, and have marginally different results for edgeguarding. As for which to prefer based on matchup, you want Charizards for Dedede, and Bowser's for Ness/Lucas. For any other matchup, there's no optimized preference to be had.

On the shield safety part i expressed myself wrong. I meant to say flamethrower pushes the opponents shield farther due to it not turning into a windbox middway through, thus when taking into account that it also has lower endlag safer than flamebreath.
Damaging windboxes don't just pass through a shield like FLUDD does. I'll say it again, knockback does not dictate shield pushback and shieldstun, damage does.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
:4villager: has a very good neutral special. Maybe not S but definitely A-Tier.

:059:

Last edited:

Samuelwisebaggins

Smash Cadet
Agreed that Shulk should be alone in S tier. Not even needles compare, every character would rather have the arts.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Agreed that Shulk should be alone in S tier. Not even needles compare, every character would rather have the arts.
No, I think some characters might want needles. I don't think Sheik would trade it for anything. Except maybe pre-patch needles lol.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
All untrue except "safe in neutral", of which Flamethrower slightly excels thanks to 3 less endlag. They're functionally the same attack onstage, and have marginally different results for edgeguarding. As for which to prefer based on matchup, you want Charizards for Dedede, and Bowser's for Ness/Lucas. For any other matchup, there's no optimized preference to be had.
I disagree completely. Take it from someone who mains both Bowser and Zard. Let me elaborate my claims. As arbust said, flamethrower pushes back targets farther making it safer on hit and and on shield. Not to mention the frame differences. Hurtboxes are better since it extends farther than flamebreath. There is much better control of flamethrower since you can angle it better (don't have proof of this but it feels far better to me). A lot of times opponent's will try to do a hop over the flamebreath and get a punish, but with flamethrower you can cover that option pretty well by aiming up.

It is better at gimping certain recoveries and also hitting the 2 frame punish better due to its better hurtboxes. Gimping recoveries like DK's, cloud's, or Lucas's for example is something that is much easier using flamethrower. I have kept Fow's Lucas offstage for a good 60 seconds standing completely still and just using flamethrower.

As far as ledge coverage, you can be standing just before the opponenet's roll distance and use flamethrower and it will cover all options for most characters (even the stay on the ledge option), something that wouldn't be possible with flamebreath.

I'm sorry but if you think flamebreath is on the same level as flamethrower, then I'd have to question your experience with these characters.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I don't see why Shulk's Monado Arts should be a tier above any other neutral special just because it augments his character stats.

Needles augment Sheik by giving her a camping presence to force people to play her rushdown game. Inhale augments Kirby by (occasionally) giving him tools to let him have a camping game and give him variation to his approach and facilitate his combo game with hard reads. Big Steely augments Bowser Jr. by forcing him to use only three specials.

Everyone has moves that augment their archetype. Shulk is just the only one aside from Miss Fit and Cloud who has a special that numerically affect his stats, to better aid his range game.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I don't see why Shulk's Monado Arts should be a tier above any other neutral special just because it augments his character stats.
Needles don't reduce Sheik's landing lag on aerials or airdodge by a tad or large amount, give her intangibility, or give better anything in terms of parameters / statistics. Needles definitely give Sheik a reason to force opponents to approach, but arts can take a detour to choose either to approach or disengage without care. The most simple example of this is when opponents run away from Shield, giving Shield Shulk free stage control thus allowing the player to either deactivate Shield, keep it on, or cycle to a "better" art in the Advantage.

Monado arts are not just "five options", they're five individual arts that each drastically change Shulk's parameters in more than several instances. Jump art alone changes about 8-10 different parameters, & arguably by a positive result 8 out of those 10 parameters affected are a buff for example. This art played the right way can be completely untouchable & can scrooge / shark under the majority of the legal stages Omega or not in way that, more than several characters are automatically invalidated by cheesy-verdict because their mobility cannot chase nor hope to challenge the tactic(s). And despite that this art makes you take more damage, you can be untouchable because of the 8-9 parameters buffing Shulk's mobility, so when it counts, that debuff can mean nothing.

Needles are a great projectile still, but arts are more dangerous & formidable in a vacuum discussion or discussed alone.
-
-
Also, :4duckhunt:'s Trick Shot aka Can gets some praise from me, because the projectile generates on frame 1 & detonates should you hit DH within close proximity of being hit too. Don't recall what other projectiles form or generate a hitbox on frame 1 though.

EDIT: An image of frame 1 Trick Shot (excuse the quality):

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Monado Arts is clearly the best neutral special in the game, by a solid margin. There's no character in the game that would *not* improve dramatically with it.

No, I think some characters might want needles. I don't think Sheik would trade it for anything. Except maybe pre-patch needles lol.
Sheik with access to Buster, Smash and Shield would be pretty much completely unreasonable.

:059:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
:4villager:'s is good... if your opponent has a projectile. And actually uses it. Otherwise.... I suppose you could use it for the invincibility frames, but all of Villager's dodges come out earlier than Pocket's invincibility frames.

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
Chomp is probably A, frame 8 command grab which is active frames 8-17* (not 100% sure, this is what I've been told. I've also heard 8-15) with a FAF of 37(assuming you don't hold B). It essentially has the start up and FAF of a regular grab, with more active frames and the ability to use it on the air + b-reverse it, and you can hold it to throw off people's timings. It eats items on frame 2 which is neat, heals him by 1% and charges waft by an additional 1.5% for each item that heals him. It's very good at beating out moves that extend their hurtboxes before their hitboxes (little mac's smashes, Yoshi fsmash, many dash grabs, catches ledge jump, ledge attack, and normal getup, etc) and has follow-up potential at low %s. Arguably the best command grab in the game and is a very good move in Wario's kit as it gives him a way to beat shielding opponents on platforms or whilst Wario is above them.

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
Here's how I see the N-Specials stack up:

S - :4shulk::4pacman::4mewtwo:
A - :4kirby::4corrinf::4sheik::4mario::4lucario:
B - :4duckhunt::4zss::4robinf::4villager::4wario2::4samus::4yoshi::4diddy::4greninja:
C - :4charizard::4bowser::4darkpit::4pit::rosalina::4ryu::4olimar::4wiifit::4dk::4pikachu::4zelda::4link::4tlink:
D - :4falcon::4sonic::4lucas::4dedede::4falco::4fox::4drmario::4marth::4lucina::4rob::4bayonetta:
E - :4myfriends::4littlemac::4cloud::4metaknight: :4peach::4gaw::4ness::4ganondorf:
F - :4bowserjr::4jigglypuff::4palutena:

S - N-Special is always used and is often essential towards the meta game of the character. Very versatile and used in all situations.

A - N-Special is used quite often, and in many different situations.

B - N-Special is used a lot, but has a few limiting factors.

C - N-Special is okay, but isn't a very good option outside of specific situations.

D - N-Special is not that good, or is unsafe to use most of the time.

E - N-Special is not used very much at all, or only used for extreme mix-ups.

F - N-Special is so bad that using it at any time instantly puts you at a disadvantage

*Note:
- Not including Cloud's Limit
- Some placements may be off due to the fact that some tiers (C and D) are VERY big and I wanted to diversify it. Don't base your judgements off of their tier placement and description of tier
- The tier descriptions are NOT true for EVERY character within a tier. It sums up what MIGHT be why I placed it there.

EDIT:

:4diddy: C>B
:4greninja: D>B

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
How in the world is water shuriken D tier? It's B tier at minimum, mostly A tier material IMO

:150:

Top Bottom