• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. = worst character in smash history

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
what are you gay? it's spelt "more"

uhh...obviously i don't give a f***

kid, what are you 9? you can't respect someone else's opinion. wow, why the f*** are you on forums?
Why do you even come to this forum?

You obviously are nothing but a troll...

GTFO my internets, boy...

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
ROB worst character ness blows and toon link sucks balls????
Seriously wtf is the point of this thread no one wants to know what characters you liked this should get locked
I hated rob when I saw him at the start but now I like him hes kinda cool but seriously do you know anything about him???

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
The main thing with ROB is that he just wasn't that WANTED (as far as I can tell).

What I mean by that is, he did not have the kind of ridiculous following that other characters had. Forget about his history, forget about how overrated the other characters might've been. The fact is, ROB supporters seemed few and far between before he was confirmed (or were at least very quiet). Characters like Krystal and Ridley were WORSHIPED.

Whether he saved the gaming industry or not, he just isn't the type of character that most people want to play as (until they find out his moveset WRECKS people). Krystal, Ridley, Geno — they had enormous followings just because people loved them as characters. With ROB, what I mostly read is "His moveset is so good!" or "He saved video games!"

I hardly ever see anyone saying "I love his personality," or "He was one of my favorite toys growing up," or anything like that.

My point is, I understand some of the animosity. Some people were expecting their favorite character to have a spot practically reserved for them in Brawl. They didn't get it. And on top of that, a character who had virtually no fanbase before his confirmation is in instead. I can see how that might seem like a slap in the face to some people.

That said, it's not specifically ROB's fault that those characters aren't in. I'm sure if all those "shoe-in" characters had made it, very few people would be complaining. But in a way, ROB symbolizes the fact that Sakurai deemed those characters so unworthy of Brawl that he'd rather put a novelty toy in the game than them.

But I never cared much for Ridley and Krystal, and I'll take ROB over Geno any day.
Although ROB may not have had a cult on this particulat forum, he is a cultural touchstone that every NES owner remembers. Heck, not too may folks on SWF were clamoring for Donkey Kong's return, but that doesn't take away from his worthiness. I agree with Sakurai's decision to include ROB over the thousands of other potential PCs.

Also: "I love ROB's personality." ;)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Although ROB may not have had a cult on this particulat forum, he is a cultural touchstone that every NES owner remembers. Heck, not too may folks on SWF were clamoring for Donkey Kong's return, but that doesn't take away from his worthiness. I agree with Sakurai's decision to include ROB over the thousands of other potential PCs.

Also: "I love ROB's personality." ;)
Once again Wiseguy, I applaud you.

nitro_rev

Smash Cadet
R.O.B. is a very original idea and I am thrilled that he is in brawl. besides magaman and Ridley had not much chance anyway. Megaman is third party and the creator of magaman even said that sakurai did not ask for him to be included, and Ridley does not have enough o a character to be playable, he isn't even a final boss, he is a reacuring boss that has no intensions in the game other than to kill samus, he is not the mastermind or even a pawn in any of the Metroid games, he sorta just... there.

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
i was in a tournement today and R.O.B is a **** good character. It's hard to kill him, cause of his awesome recovery. All the hate for R.O.B is biased. He's better than ridley, megaman, krystal, geno, etc. etc. Wanna know why? cause he did something that made him noticed in the eyes of Sakurai. He effin saved video games, without him there would be no brawl. Plus he's been in more video games than a lot of the characters on the roster ;D

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
what are you gay? it's spelt "more"
Um, no...It's spelled "moar", everyone knows that. :rolleyes: It's second-grade vocabulary. Wow do you not know how to read or something? "more"? That must be the Canadian spelling.

And no I'm not gay, but thanks for the offer ;). I'm flattered.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
i was in a tournement today and R.O.B is a **** good character. It's hard to kill him, cause of his awesome recovery. All the hate for R.O.B is biased. He's better than ridley, megaman, krystal, geno, etc. etc. Wanna know why? cause he did something that made him noticed in the eyes of Sakurai. He effin saved video games, without him there would be no brawl. Plus he's been in more video games than a lot of the characters on the roster ;D
I already told them about R.O.B saving Nintendo, but thanks for remind me.

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/july03/25smartest/index22.shtml
I know I've posted this link once before, I'm doin it again because it's for those who didnt see it. It also shows how R.O.B saves Nintendo.
You could say that without him, Smash Bros would have never existed.

S0X

Smash Cadet
I disagree in most ways.

R.O.B. has an extremely unique moveset which is realy cool but I think they couls have put some1 better in the game.

Sonic_VS_Mario

Smash Cadet
i dont no if R.O.B will be the worst. I understand why u say he sucks. He is not my first choice either but like others said in his vids he does look kinda powerful and he not too slow. I think i might use him once or twice but my main will be Solid Snake or Sonic or something

Zema

Smash Journeyman
What I am about to say is my opinion. Criticism is welcomed but please read first. R.O.B. Was a dissapointment to many people. So he appeared in a Mario Kart game! So he's good. Characters like Geno, Megaman, Krystal, Ridley and possibly even Isaac deserved that spot ten times over. Why? Well, I can only say that he just isn't popular and as requested as most.

I do not like R.O.B. in general, but I still have not checked him out. I can't say that he won't have the "retro" feel like G&W.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
What I am about to say is my opinion. Criticism is welcomed but please read first. R.O.B. Was a dissapointment to many people. So he appeared in a Mario Kart game! So he's good. Characters like Geno, Megaman, Krystal, Ridley and possibly even Isaac deserved that spot ten times over. Why? Well, I can only say that he just isn't popular and as requested as most.

I do not like R.O.B. in general, but I still have not checked him out. I can't say that he won't have the "retro" feel like G&W.

Again, this is just my opinion.
I agree completely. The reason many don't want R.O.B. or dislike him is because they would've prefered other characters. I personally don't care about R.O.B. as a character in the game. Chances are I won't like him because he's not as fast as Sheik so I won't play as him. I mean there are other characters that I don't like and what do I do about them... I don't play as them. My opinion on this thread has changed a lot since it began. I started out agreeing with the OP to some extent. After reading many other posts, I came to understand why he was included in the game. And of course other people wanted different characters instead of him but they couldn't have everybody. I mean a little part of me died when they took Mewtwo out of the game and added Lucario. I almost died when I heard about R.O.B. but I figured o well he's just another character that I won't like their play style just like Mario. The only character that I find absolutely pointless to include in Brawl is Toon Link. The only reason for that is because they basically removed one clone to include another one and I absolutely hated Wind Waker. This being said, R.O.B. is a potential character for some, an upset for many and just not for me but its an opinion and nothing more.

And so everybody knows I do respect R.O.B. and his iconic awesomeness for Nintendo.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
The reason many don't want R.O.B. or dislike him is because they would've prefered other characters.
We could never know though (unless something happens) if any of the characters I stated could even be better.

Still, that doesn't mean that they are. The game is going to kick *** anyways. Though I believe the roster could've gone major modifications.

The only character that I find absolutely pointless to include in Brawl is Toon Link. The only reason for that is because they basically removed one clone to include another one and I absolutely hated Wind Waker.
Finally! Somebody with some sense! I agree very much with those words. Why do so many people want a simple modification of young link? So they retextured him to make him all toony. Whats so cool about that? Seriously. He is still a clone, no matter what they do to him. He is still link. Smaller, faster, weaker, but still Link.

They even made him have Link's same exact final smash!

Darkurai

Smash Master
So he appeared in a Mario Kart game!
He also saved Nintendo of America.
Characters like Geno, Megaman, Krystal, Ridley and possibly even Isaac deserved that spot ten times over.
What "spot"!? Sakurai had finalized the roster (except for Sonic) in 2006! There's no "spots" for him to take up! If these characters were ever going to be in Brawl, they would be! End of story!
Well, I can only say that he just isn't popular and as requested as most.
Then: WAAAAAAH WE WANT A CHARACTER WE WEREN'T EXPECTING
Now: WAAAAAAH WHY R.O.B. NO ONE WANTED HIM

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
Let me try to clerify what i was trying to say. It seems to me there are three types of people who post here. people who understand what im saying and agree, people who understand what im saying and don't agree, and then there's people who have no idea what im saying and think im just talking s*** about rob. what i mean, and what i probably should hagve said in the beginning, is that rob is worst character IDEA in smash history (to actually make it in the rouster, of course), he's just some cartoony robot thing that i've seen one time before, and that was in mario kart DS(and yes, i thought it was a stupid idea to put him in there).I'm not saying that R.O.B. as a character in the game is stupid (considering i don't own the game yet), im just saying him being in the game is stupid. Ill admit, a couple of his moves look pretty powerful, but its just....................yea, no. Not a good idea(IN MY OPINION). And for those people that say he didnt take anyones spot, that there was no limit, thats not what i said at all. I ment that they shouldn't of wasted their time on designing robs moves, and his motions, and that they should of designed a more fitting character such as bowser jr., ridley, or king k. Rool. And it's not that i dont like robots, i freakin love robots, whats not to like. A hard, cold metal killing machine, without the human emotions like fear and pitty, but in my book, R.O.B. just doesnt fit those descriptions. And i no he's in the game, and so it's done, im just saying it was a dumb idea in my opinion. And yes, i realize for my fault for putting "R.O.B. = worst character in smash history", but i just wanted to draw people in to my opnion. And Lets not kid ourselfs, i think we all know Pichu was the worst character in smash history, And Toon link should be called young link 2. Anyways, hope that clears some things up.
it's fine to express your opinions about ROB and other characters, but the way you express it is what bothers most people here (since most are ROB fans)...you are also insulting Sakurai's masterpiece; the game he worked on for years just to see us play and have fun with it. I have to admit that I'm not pleased with the roster either (seriously, THREE Foxes?) but each chatacter is unique and offers a different play experience. Though I have mains, I'm just about good with all the other characters, including those I use the least (Ness, G&W, Ganondorf) and those that others say are "low tier" (Mewtwo, Pichu, Jigglypuff) and still have fun with them all. I have played Brawl and each character has its advantage and disadvantage in a battle and each gives a fun, unique experience. In my opinion, anyone who hates a character idea just because he feels like it (saying "he's stupid" is not a good reason) should not even think about buying the game...
You = EPIC FAIL

TheMoonman

Smash Cadet
I don't think any of the ROB haters understand the epic scale his cause really had.

He saved an entire industry. The gaming industry. You wouldn't be playing all the great games we get now if it wasn't for him. You probably wouldn't even be playing Smash if it wasn't for him. You wouldn't even be posting on this board, presenting your hate for ROB, if it wasn't for him. You'd be reading a book or doing something with your life. Really now. We can't have that.

And another thing...

I bet you all the money in my mouth that if Mario didn't become Nintendo's mascot, it would have been ROB. I feel ROB had the potential to become a mascot for Nintendo; his simplistic look and unique design makes him instantly recognizable by anyone who lays eyes on him. Even people who only took a second glance at him could probably recognize ROB (maybe, if they gave a **** at the time).

And another thing...

You ROB haters should use paragraphs. Seriously. Use that ENTER key once in a while. It helps.

kirbyking99

Smash Rookie
Brawl is a lot about a very varied roster, and having Megaman in would be like a blue Samus, and Ridley would be like a flying, purple Bowser.
OK for starters this is a dumb and ignorant comment, you're here saying 'do you know anything about ROB?', you should learn a thing or two about ridley and megaman before you post ******** comments like this. On the subject of ROB, I have nothing against him being in brawl but it's just that I think sakurai should have listened to his own survey and put in more popular characters such as ridley, king k rool, isaac etc. I like ROB (at least he is original and doesnt lick balls like toon link:laugh:), I think everyone is just angry that the more popular characters didn't make it.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Don't feed the trolls

Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
ROB haters obviously fail at oldschool gaming, and thus fail at life.

There can be no other explanation.

Jordan178

Smash Rookie
Many people hate R.O.B. already because it made it's way to the roster, but let's just wait until we try R.O.B. out before we start hating it.

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman
There has to be a WTF char in a smash game, it's tradition.
No WTF char is popular or even thought of....that's the point.
R.O.B is that role and was probably planned before other newcomers.

Top Bottom