• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Advanced Tech, Tactics, and Tips

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
It may be tough to master, but I think a side booster to dair is a legitimate edge guard/gimp tech.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That requires a hard read, since it can't be combo'd into with anything but awful DI, like off a fair ( DI up+towards) or dthrow at the edge (any DI besides inward); and since dair is slow and you can't travel downward with the hitbox.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
That requires a hard read, since it can't be combo'd into with anything but awful DI, like off a fair ( DI up+towards) or dthrow at the edge (any DI besides inward); and since dair is slow and you can't travel downward with the hitbox.
The read can't be too hard if the target is offstage and recovering, depending on the character of course.

Vickyboi

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna start that ROB skype chat now!
Tell me your skype name If you wanna join.

Edit: Or even, add "klafsen" and I'll add you.
Edit2: There is a chat already! D: / :D

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I'm gonna start that ROB skype chat now!
Tell me your skype name If you wanna join.

Edit: Or even, add "klafsen" and I'll add you.
We already have a Skype chat actually. XD

skype:?chat&blob=3eYp6PmV_ervjGzBSUkE7fVOYh6SxjTUPyLd0QqSKCWwuZG94Exb7IJcOhK89RkWctp2VSif0jVJIDxuXxhpKMlONE4KAiLgFjS4U7C3am3TiQFel2sXRU96yty3l4qiHFuY-fnQDoISlD63HWZeKNcVVy_QADbUHX1s6qjLrvep_ANf4nvcdBKAHg28riV6Tgy_vnWnx-KIGc4Yoy-NsdM

If that doesn't work, just add me (Skype: Sapphireryu) and I'll add you to the group.

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
just recorded several short clips of some footstool -> gyro combos, I will upload them tomorrow
my apologies for the chunk of time between videos, I just hadn't had much time to be in the lab. since I'm not entering anything for the next 3 months I should be in the lab a good deal, and I will upload anything I find

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I have some footstool combos too but idk if I wanna show them just yet :/
Mostly because I haven't yet applied them because footstools are not easy to land as a character with no natural aerial mobility
I'm not sure what frame, but you can footstool somebody at-or-near the end of your side-b boost btw
If you can get that close, footstool has guaranteed follow-up for ROB, including gyro stuff and waveland stuff and one really godly thing that I'm not ready to share

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking since some people shield when we boost, that's when its appropriate. All footage is out of boost, there are 5 clips in the video for now but I have a couple not involving gyro that will not be uploaded yet

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
all right, here's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU1dSIYH-yg
a few notes:
  • dolphin + hypercam = bad, that's why it's so choppy and even sped up at some points when I didn't ask it to
  • I just used zard for this video because he gets hit by everything. not everything in this video is going to work on every character
  • anyone know if the width of ROB's base affects the area he can footstool people? because it seems huge to me.
  • expect the next video in a few days

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
got 7 clips for this next one - footstool combos without a gyro.
one of these is pretty juicy, I'm testing it to make sure it works on everyone so stay tuned
edit: yup, it does

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
If it's footstool->side-b->bair, yeah it works on everyone and it's godlike
Footstool->side-b->nair is great too but doesn't work on short characters

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
Man ive been trying to implement a lot of the gyro techs into my game but theyre so situational and hard. I mostly like the gyro bounce so you can extend the life of a gyro after youve grabbed it.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Gyro always sending forward is my favorite property of it
Does it always send you forward though?

Hi, I am a Brawl ROB player and have been since his release. I'm picking up PM and plan on competing heavily in it going ROB only. Brawl characteristics carry over from Brawl to PM so I wanted to share this with you all.

I don't know how this will apply for PM. And most of you may already realize this property, but watch what happens when you tinker with the gyro a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDwjDlij9U

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice

Hi, I am a Brawl ROB player and have been since his release. I'm picking up PM and plan on competing heavily in it going ROB only. Brawl characteristics carry over from Brawl to PM so I wanted to share this with you all.

I don't know how this will apply for PM. And most of you may already realize this property, but watch what happens when you tinker with the gyro a bit.
It sends them in the direction you were facing when you threw or dropped it
Edit: oh OK now that i actually watch it lmao.

Most of what's in that video has something similar to it in PM. Grabbing gyro with aerials will not work but AGTing will for example.

Also the high bounce is in PM and is much easier and quicker to pull off due to AGT. I can't link because I'm on my phone but there's a video of lots of other gyro tech on the last page too if you're interested

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
It sends them in the direction you were facing when you threw or dropped it
Edit: oh OK now that i actually watch it lmao.
Yeah that was my main reason for posting the video. Most Brawl ROBs, if not all of them, didn't realize this characteristic for the longest time.

Player-1

Smash Legend

did you ever remember anything about the laser glitch?

CoolDad2

Smash Cadet
Just a suggestion, but wouldnt being able to hold the gyro directly from down b be a reasonable upgrade to ROB?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That would be fantastic and is exactly why it will never even happen.
I'm not even sure JCz smashes anymore given how little I've heard or seen from him on xanadu streams
ROB may be forever #UnlovedAndUnbuffed

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Just a suggestion, but wouldnt being able to hold the gyro directly from down b be a reasonable upgrade to ROB?
Support this idea, it is really annoying that it takes so long until you can actually use gyro...
Also I would support a little center hitbox on up-B so that you have a little range, but quick OoS.
I mean, G&W also has his up-b and there are still many situations where his OoS is terrible, so it wouln't be an answer to everything and not OP by any means.
#BuffROB2014

Player-1

Smash Legend
if gyro got a buff I think it should be it will stay out longer after being thrown instead disappearing as soon as it stops bouncing on the ground.

edit: I also don't know if this would be possible without making the animation super awkward, but I think gyro item game is pretty weak when against smaller characters since ROB throws from so high. MK, Kirby, Squirtle, etc. it goes over their heads so if ROB could throw from a lower part on his body that'd be nice.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yep that's the main issue with gyro, it goes over too many characters' heads, especially when they are close. But reducing the height he throws it from would also worsen how far it flies before hitting the ground and how well it can cover opponents who are just getting off the ground during a jump. The only way to fix that without affecting it negatively any other way would be to increase the size of the hitbox, but at some point too big a hitbox gets ridiculous. Think "There's no way that hit me I definitely ducked under it!"

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I would like his jabs to feel less poopy and maybe ftilt being more combo friendly. But u gotta be careful cuz R.O.B may be totally broken if he gets any changes at all...

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
A Jab3 multi hit where he rotates his torso to smack them rapidly would be tight
Then he would have an actual reason to use double jab mix-ups.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I want a jab combo that ends in him spinning his hand around and making a spooky blender sound. You could choose to gentleman combo it or blend them a bit. The argument against changing the jabs is probably because his 1-2 jabs are pretty unique, but they just feel soooooo ****ty.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
His jabs aren't bad by any stretch, what they lack in speed they make up for in reach
But they aren't great jabs either, they don't reach low enough to jab reset a lot of chars while lying down, plus there are plenty of quicker ending jabs that have the same reach because the character leans forward into the jab, plus those usually have a jab3.

If nothing else, I'd like to see the animations for the two jabs swapped. it would enable him to jab reset opponents with a more lenient timing.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I said they feel bad, they don't seem to carry any weight to them and you can't really do cool jab reset combos often. Being able to jab reset more consistently into Dsmash or maybe even a risky Fsmash would be very fun.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
@ Mister Eric Mister Eric , do you know whether ROB can still re-catch the gyro after a full length weak toss in P:M? I tried to do this in training mode and failed, but it may not mean much since I can't perform this tech in Brawl either. >.>

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
@ Mister Eric Mister Eric , do you know whether ROB can still re-catch the gyro after a full length weak toss in P:M? I tried to do this in training mode and failed, but it may not mean much since I can't perform this tech in Brawl either. >.>
Not possible. It is even harder to do it in PM if it is. I have spent some time in training mode trying to create it in PM. I can do it in Brawl. He doesn't glide as far in PM as he does in Brawl which really hurts him and makes me think it's impossible. For those wondering what DC means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2DwjTTTvQA

Another thing that made it "easy" to do in Brawl was that you could stutter step into a dodge roll which allowed you more time to let the control stick go back to neutral before recatching.

Good question.

no, I mean the one where it just doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0iFnvJW9cE

It happens in Brawl, but it's happened to me in PM too
Stingers theory was that when the laser is changing from weak to strong, there is some load time in-between and nothing comes out. Maybe during only a few frames or something. Could vary on how the Wii loads it. This could be completely wrong. I just spent a full 8 min timer testing it, trying to make it happen. In PM, a large laser comes out every 15 sec, and I tried to time it right but never got anything.

I will keep exploring this.

If you can find me a video of this happening in a full match, whether it be Brawl or PM, please contact me and I will explore this further.

Top Bottom