• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Advanced Tech, Tactics, and Tips

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
R.O.B. Advanced Tech, Tactics, and Tips

Have general questions about terms for R.O.B. specific techs, or lost on how to do them? You're in the right place! This post will be updated with advanced techs from writeups of experienced players who can help you get better with your R.O.B. tech skill and let you dominate with the robotic glory that is R.O.B.!

Experienced players- please provide writeups of R.O.B.'s techs in general (what the letters stand for, how to execute them and situations for best uses) so I can keep them in this first post! Looking forward to seeing the best minds out there put some info up on R.O.B's more in depth side.

Fairjumping
Fairjumping
How to perform: Input a Fair (usually with the Cstick) at the very end of a vertical Robo Boost (UpB). This will give you a slight vertical boost past your normal UpB distance and can give you added horizontal control over your recovery (since vertical Robo Boosts have very limited horizontal range). The difference between a Fairjump UpB and a normal UpB is pretty noticeable.

Gyro

I'm saying its bad for onstage purposes, which is what jcaes uses it for mostly. Hence why i think its so good for edgeguarding; the one option to beat the move kills you.
WDing takes time (jumpstart + 10 frames minimum), which you should be using to follow up (or just punish if you left the gyro spinning on the stage near you and they're dumb enough to try to pick it up). Sure there are situations where catching the gyro will be beneficial to them, but it's not easy to catch (gyro moves much faster in the air than Peach's turnips, and not many people catch those consistently either), and if they do catch it, the situation is just reversed, and as a ROB player you should better at catching the gyro than they are.
Also if they throw it at you while you're grounded you can RoboCopter through it to reclaim it, or laser it to stop its momentum, or... do any other number of things.

The worst that could happen is they hold onto it but nearly every character is heavily limited in their options by trying to keep an item on them at all times.

Boosters

The boosters no longer cancel all momentum like they did in 2.1, but yes, side-B can save you sometimes when letting your momentum decay naturally would have killed you. And if you do an aerial (I recommend fair) ASAP when doing a side-B out of hitstun, you get a much larger than normal boost back to the stage, and with ROB's limited recovery it can be very handy to save those extra boosts.
Edgeguarding

Haven't read anything here, but for edge-guarding, I've found a lot of success purposely going 'very' far below the opponent, either by walking/jumping off or Side-B out there, and Up-B > Uair off stage.
Weak fair-> low uair for best edgeguard

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Something I rarely ever see ROB players do:

Fairjumping
How to perform: Input a Fair (usually with the Cstick) at the very end of a vertical Robo Boost (UpB). This will give you a slight vertical boost past your normal UpB distance and can give you added horizontal control over your recovery (since vertical Robo Boosts have very limited horizontal range). The difference between a Fairjump UpB and a normal UpB is pretty noticeable.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Pretty sure I did it first considering I made ROB and did it long before Demo 2 even came out :p

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I did the super AGT first

doesn't change the fact I didn't get to name it and nobody made a big deal about it until toon link ;c

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Pretty sure I did it first considering I made ROB and did it long before Demo 2 even came out :p
You never know, he could have stolen a copy of a PMBR member's SD Card and done it before you did.

As for this contest, I'm going with: longest hair, coolest beard, only game development major, shortest, biggest fan of the color purple. I'm a ROB secondary, though, so I'm not sure I count.

Oracle

Smash Master
I could out beard the **** out of jcaesar

Real talk though gyro is one of robs worst moves but since peole dont know the easy way to deal with it I get it to do workall the time. I think Iill just keep that secret to myself though

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Gyro is ROB's best move both offensively and defensively. And my beard is a boss.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The Gyro should be called a beyblade. That's what I think of whenever I use it. I should probably use it a lot more than I do.

The fact is, it seems that lots of ROB players have cool beards, and we all think our own is the best. There's only one way to settle this...

Oracle

Smash Master
Fight to the death irl?

Jcaesar you can just wd into the gyro to catch it I dont see how thats good at all. Its pretty good for edgeguarding but if my opponent knows to airdodge into it I just get punished for using it. Luckily nobody knows enough about this character to realize this so generally it still works pretty well

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Exactly.

Unfortunately I'm not very fit irl, so I'm going to be writing an AI to do the fighting for me. Although now that I think about it, that won't be very useful, since it won't have a body.

If your opponent air dodges through the gyro, won't they die? Or are they that close to the stage when you use it?

Oracle

Smash Master
I'm saying its bad for onstage purposes, which is what jcaes uses it for mostly. Hence why i think its so good for edgeguarding; the one option to beat the move kills you.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. I do think it's good onstage, but it's best use is definitely edgeguarding. Although ROB has a lot of good options for that, anyway. I'll record the next games I play against Stingers and see how he reacts to my ROB's gyro. He's a ROB main in Brawl, so he should have a decent idea of how to fight it.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
WDing takes time (jumpstart + 10 frames minimum), which you should be using to follow up (or just punish if you left the gyro spinning on the stage near you and they're dumb enough to try to pick it up). Sure there are situations where catching the gyro will be beneficial to them, but it's not easy to catch (gyro moves much faster in the air than Peach's turnips, and not many people catch those consistently either), and if they do catch it, the situation is just reversed, and as a ROB player you should better at catching the gyro than they are.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Also if they throw it at you while you're grounded you can RoboCopter through it to reclaim it, or laser it to stop its momentum, or... do any other number of things.

The worst that could happen is they hold onto it but nearly every character is heavily limited in their options by trying to keep an item on them at all times.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
This makes me wonder how the ROB v Ganon matchup works. In Melee, one of our main strategies against peach is to take advantage of Ganon's gigantic catch range and catch every turnip she throws, using them all against her. Ganon can use turnips surprisingly effectively, and it's not that hard to catch the majority of them. While turnips are obviously a different situation than beyblades, I can still see how the beyblade would be pretty useful for Ganon.

Oracle

Smash Master
Lots of bad stuff can happen from using gyro but only if your opponent understands what to do, which most players dont. I say its bad because basically everyone I play against knows to just catch it. If your peers dont,then by all means throw all of thr tops.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Mmmk, well as long as my gyro tricks keep working against top P:M players, I'm going to continue to use them. But you can limit yourself if you like.

42_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5366-1431
I think the gyro is alright. I mainly use it for the instant momentum boost from glide tossing though. There's nothing better than glide tossing toward your opponent and getting a free grab when they shield it. (or aerial if they didn't)

.......Also ROB's DACUS is godly. (and the usmash changes in general)

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Question for you Rob players:

Can robo-booster save you if you are about to be side ko'd?

Obviously it will send you back the way you came and help you recover, but can it actually stop you from getting side ko'd?

Also in older versions, Rob's Up-B used to completely cut his sideways momentum as well. Would mashing up-b work just as well as side-b in preventing side-kos?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The boosters no longer cancel all momentum like they did in 2.1, but yes, side-B can save you sometimes when letting your momentum decay naturally would have killed you. And if you do an aerial (I recommend fair) ASAP when doing a side-B out of hitstun, you get a much larger than normal boost back to the stage, and with ROB's limited recovery it can be very handy to save those extra boosts.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
does anybody know what frame ROBs upsmash launcher hit comes out on? seems like a great OOS option as it seems fairly quick, and with it being able to lead into one of is most powerful moves, thats a pretty damn good OOS maneuver..

dettadeus

Smash Lord
does anybody know what frame ROBs upsmash launcher hit comes out on? seems like a great OOS option as it seems fairly quick, and with it being able to lead into one of is most powerful moves, thats a pretty damn good OOS maneuver..
IIRC it's frame 4 or something ridiculous like that

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It is 4. It's ok OOS (technically his fastest OOS option), but it can fail (DI away or CC will both avoid the strong hit). I generally only go for it if they're at kill %. If you can get it, sheild grab is slightly slower but has better followups and can't fail. If you have more time, WD OOS -> whatever can be good. Grab is still usually ROB's strongest punish option though.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i would think as long as you dont overuse it, it would remain an effective option, especially against pillars that tend to be too fast for shield grabbing. after all, 4 frames (5 technically with the one frame of jump squat required, at least im pretty sure) is the same speed as wolfs shine OOS, and one quicker than falcos, with a similar range to it. even if they manage to DI away or have a good CC, it is still likely to get you out of sticky situations that would have been much less favorable to you if you had done nothing instead. i tend to mix in some fairs OOS as well. theyre not as fast as the grab, but its got a tad more range to it, so situation depending it can be useful.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Haven't read anything here, but for edge-guarding, I've found a lot of success purposely going 'very' far below the opponent, either by walking/jumping off or Side-B out there, and Up-B > Uair off stage. Anyone find ease in edge-guarding from going off stage and below, rather than trying to Fair directly?

Edit: I'm obsessed with Bair. Everywhere, all the time.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Anyone have any tips on doubles?
Particularly, any distinct differences in play/direction/game-plan that seem pretty apparent from singles vs doubles?
I've only had average players to play recently, and only started working with ROB, and so far I've had more difficulty in doubles with him than anyone else so far. Success still, but it feels like it's tedious, and I'm not sure how else I can go about it. I find I'm reverting to a lot of weaving and single hits, rarely ever pursuing anything unless I can connect a Bair on both of them and they go opposite directions or something.
Thoughts from anyone who's looked into it would be nice, as I won't have solid enough competition for a couple weeks for doubles purposes.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
ROB is actually really amazing in doubles due to how much area he can cover and control from anywhere on the stage. He can also go full-on camp in a 2v1 situation and do fairly well.
You have to get really good at aiming your laser to hit opponents and not your partner (I can almost always hit both opponents with one laser) and you need to make sure your partner is aware of when your gyro is out.

It's true he focuses a lot on single hits or small combos in doubles, but the fact that he can interrupt combos and save his partner from literally anywhere on the stage makes up for it. He's a better support character than anything.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I dunno, personally I really don't like ROB in doubles. I've all but given him up in doubles in favor of Wario. But in singles I've stopped using secondaries and now go straight ROB at every tournament, even for his worst matchups.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, I think support is probably his best role and it really depends on the character that you're trying to support since it feels like he's got to have a fair amount of time to set up what he wants to do. Lasers not so much, but certainly gyro and some of his aerials and then if you're sent offstage it's going to take a little while for you to come back.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So uncharged laser can reset at low percents (or any percent? is its knockback set?), I've found; has anyone managed to make use of that or is it just too slow to do anything but reset to neutral?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
You mean like a Jab Reset from longer range using Laser? Never used it that way, the opportunity is few and far between. haha

Playing him in doubles isn't really an issue of good vs bad, and he's completely functional, it just involves a lot less aggressiveness it seems, which is difficult to do if you're generally the anchor of any team you play on, and translates to a lot of tedious play to insure you're not gonna get hurt for pursuing anything.

Tilts, Lasers, retreating aerials, occasionally a quick throw or F-Smash, and runny away. lol

Was just looking for anyone else having some thoughts on it.
So is it basically a common thing to do, or is there 'some' way of playing aggressively as a center point. Maybe more abuse of Side-B > Nair's coming from above, or the use of D-Smash/Utilt/covering himself more?
Has anyone had any success with other styles of play? Haven't tinkered with it too much, but it seems it's possibly possible. haha

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I did it a couple times on Wifi and I think I only ever got grabs off it. You'd have to use it almost at point blank to get a good punish from doing it, and you could just as easily use a Jab instead.

Gyro's sitting hitbox resets as well, for those who don't know.

There's not really a way for R.O.B. to be aggressive in doubles. A lot of his moves have noticeable endlag, and he doesn't really have the tools to go 2v1 aggressively like some other characters can.

Top Bottom