• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I went to a tourney yesterday and I was playing at the top of my game. Then I had to forfeit cause the tourney ran 2-3 hours longer than it should have and I had to get back for a date. It was super frustrating cause I felt like I could have taken it all. I got third.

What is the best way to run multiple tourneys? Cause they were trying to run melee singles and brawl doubles and singles at the same time, and I find that makes everything take a lot longer than it needs to.

:phone:

If the players and organization was great, I could see running all 4 at the same time to work. But these are high school and college age people trying to run tournaments.

Matches don't get recorded, people whine, people don't show up. It all delays the touranment from proceeding. It probably works best to only do different games and only a single tournament apiece at the same time. Like doing melee doubles and brawl singles at the same time. Then doing brawl doubles and melee singles.

Then again, the biggest tournaments I have been too are really huge smashfests among 20 people for about 11 hours.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Went to my first tournament yesterday and went all snake pretty much.

Things I learned, loosing 1 game can be the difference in getting 2nd or 4th seed in pools, pikachu and olimar are such *** mu's, and I need to camp more.

I made it into bracket and lost to a power ranked olimar and a previously power ranked diddy who hasn't played that much latley but is still pretty good. Overall I'm not disappointed with this tourny since it was my first time using snake in an actual tournament setting. I dunno if any of my replays got saved but if I do find out they did I will definitely link them here so I can get some feedback.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I've got my first big oos tourney since last August coming up this weekend.

Haven't felt this hype/nervous since forever. I've Had a bad run at this city, and all the top Australian players are going. And there's heaps of cash on the line.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
I've found a really neat trick 2 days ago while playing Will.

So I'm pretty sure you guys know all about the Zero Landing Lag option where you take out a grenade in the air and buffer shield out and if you land on a landmine we power shield it with no damage taken.

So if we can powershield a continuous hitbox that stays active with this technique, why can't we apply it else where?

I tested it against DK's ground pound (mind you a BIG spacing tool needed against Snake) and it works. If you read the ground pound successfully you can short hop towards DK when he starts the Ground Pound, pull the grenade, buffer shield, and successfully grab him OoS.

DKs like to ground pound when they have snake pinned near the edge so you can make use of that.

Also, beware DK's back roll in a tech chase. It is a most volatile and fast option and if you don't read it correctly it can result in a grab and tons of damage.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
I've found a really neat trick 2 days ago while playing Will.

So I'm pretty sure you guys know all about the Zero Landing Lag option where you take out a grenade in the air and buffer shield out and if you land on a landmine we power shield it with no damage taken.

So if we can powershield a continuous hitbox that stays active with this technique, why can't we apply it else where?

I tested it against DK's ground pound (mind you a BIG spacing tool needed against Snake) and it works. If you read the ground pound successfully you can short hop towards DK when he starts the Ground Pound, pull the grenade, buffer shield, and successfully grab him OoS.

DKs like to ground pound when they have snake pinned near the edge so you can make use of that.

Also, beware DK's back roll in a tech chase. It is a most volatile and fast option and if you don't read it correctly it can result in a grab and tons of damage.
Thanks false. Great tip

My first tournament was only last year and after like 5000 posts lmao

That actually makes sense False. DK's ground pound only hits grounded opponents only, so it makes sense that the zero landing lag mechanic will work in that case. Another move I bet it would work on his Snake's mortar stand. It only hits grounded opponents. I'll try seeing what other moves in the roster are grounded opponents only.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
First tournament EVER? how do you have 1,400 posts. I just don't understand how people have so many posts.
LOL.

oops yay for me posting while being half asleep. Naw Iv'e been with my scene for 2 years now. Ment to say was my first tournament going all snake. My bad D:

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Felt helpless at times but that was due to me being predictable trying to get back to the stage. Still had tons of fun with him though, won all my mm's i had with other people so thats an up i guess, haha.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, so I know tournaments accurately show who is best... but do they accurately show who is second best? What about third etc.

Flayl

Smash Hero
The more you play against the top portion of the player-base the more accurate your rank will be.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It depends on the bracket and who plays who. Even first place doesn't necessarily mean they were the best. Sure, they won but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have lost if they had played different people to get there. It's when someone is consistently placing first, second etc that you can tell that's where the belong.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Ah so character matchups could screw over your chances, even with the losers bracket... like if a really pro ICs just happened to get matched up with two snakes, one in winner's bracket one in loser's.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yeah, basically. There are other possibilities as well. Consistency and beating top players means more than what place you got in one tourney.

Attila_

BRoomer
not sandbagging against bad people is really hard.

i never 3 stock anyone, will only two stock at super dooper high percent. it's hard to focus against people you dont need to focus against.

i have a reputation as being the guy that almost loses, but wins everytime lol

Melee makes it too easy to outperform someone. Someone makes one mistake; they lose a stock. They miss techs, they become easy prey for so much stuff. Smash64 might make it even easier still.

Attila_

BRoomer
Final training session before the big tourney this weekend.

Back to my best.

Working on my mix up game really solidified my play.

Feeling confident.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
XEYLOAD WHY DOES ZELDA DIE EARLIER THAN PPL THAT WEIGHT LESS THAN HER TO U TILT????

this enrages me and is unacceptable.
You probably already know, but it has to do with zelda's falling speed and momentum canceling abilities (or lack thereof).

Top Bottom