• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Attack Cancel Tactics and Discussion

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Well imdefinitly maining Pika again after seeing this.HE IS SO GOD DA.MN FAST NOW!

I just thought of something.With the addition of buffering,couldn't you potentially have your next move(even next few moves) ready to go combining the QAC and the buffed inputs?You could possibly use it as a new form of chasing(predicting where your opponent will move,chase with QAC>buffed attack and possibly repeat as long as you predict their movement right......right?)

rydude87

Smash Rookie
Wait. I tried looking but how exactly do you do this? Sorry i am a noob. Just say you jump press up b, and then point downwards and after you hit the ground what do you do to do a quick cancel attack thing?

God_Mains_Pichu

Smash Rookie
rydude87:
You quick attack down into the ground (or diagonally toward the ground and you will slide) and then there are a few frames where you stay in the air and you can do anything, like a jump into an attack or even another quick attack. Quick attack into the ground and then press up to jump and from there try another quick attack into the ground. There is basically no delay so you can move in all sorts of ways into attacks (which is a new use for the quick attack, which had been used only for recovery in previous games)

iankobe

Smash Lord
Honestly, if you use QAC wrong, it'll probably backfire.

BUT! If you DO use it right, it can help you win=]

It's such a tricky move to use...

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I still can't get over how pimp that turn walk pikachu did in phanna's video was. Seriously pikachu is such a pimp.

And yeah, this thread needs a sticky, but none of the mods/admins have done it. I tried pming one to no avail, anyone else have luck?

Anther

Smash Champion
Hey Tagxy, I feel like you should update the first page with some new information on QAC. These are some things that've relatively changed my use of it. It's not too much different but it gives you something to think about when you're spamming it.

Apparently for several characters, after using their up-b's they land with additional lag next time they hit the ground. This is good and normal until you use it to recover to the ledge, because if you ledge hop and touch the ground without using an aerial.. these characters will touch the ground with additional lag. This applies to pikachu and then some because when you use QAC and jump out of it, if you land without using an attack, you're gonna be a little bit more vulnerable that usual. Of course, it's countered by simply using thunderjolt, fairing, or something, but just something extra to know about it.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Yeah spyckie mentioned that several pages back. I've wanted to do a complete overhall of first post but havent had the time or patience yet. If anyone feels up to doing it though write something up and Ill add it and give proper credit. If not Ill probably do it once summer starts.

gallax

Smash Hero
I thank whoever found this because it has helped my game DRAMATICALLY. I go to tourney's once a month where all the best smash players in the central part of my state go to and this one guy uses MK and completely kills me. He uses upB then tilts the stick to land MK near the stage, but before he lands he cancels his landing with a nair which allows him to upB again with no lag...almost impossible to counter. He also spams neutral B with grabbing but those are easy to avoid. This QAC allows me to completely screw with his mind and I finally am able to beat him consistently. The QAC is a great advantage that all pika's should learn.

Hairbrother

Smash Cadet
Anyone who reads this thread and doesn't have their game changed dramatically is ignoring what would make them much better, and isn't wise to be doing so.

Vro

Smash Lord
good thread. i can't see how this wouldn't be helpful. anything that helps a character move quickly is awesome. =D

gallax

Smash Hero
something that should be added because it could potentially be an awesome tech against some characters the the QAL. its the QAC but against a character who has fallen on the ground without teching. if you QAC someone who fell onto the ground and repeat it over and over it can stop them from getting up. this only applies to a few charcters though. but hey. in melee some attacks could only work againts some characters and not others too, so better to know than to be ignorant of a possible advantage.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
definitely. The QAL deserves some love (and practice) - its a great moral killer and an easy stock loss from an opponent's mistake.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
**** does anyone else find it so much harder to pull of QAC in quick succession online? Even on green connections it's tough for me...is it even possible to pull it off as fast as you can offline?

God_Mains_Pichu

Smash Rookie
I don't even bother to QAC when i'm online. Even with a near-perfect connection its risky. Generally online matches are far less competative in my experience.

Others might disagree, this is just based on my experiences.

Roller

Smash Legend
I don't even bother to QAC when i'm online. Even with a near-perfect connection its risky. Generally online matches are far less competative in my experience.

Others might disagree, this is just based on my experiences.
I definately disagree with not QuACing at all online. Doing it once aint hard at all. I think it is an important part of pika's game, because it gives you an additional way to approach someone and throw them off. It mixes them up and gets them confused as to when you are gonna QuAC and when you're gonna lead with a jolt or whatever else you do.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
QAC, in my opinoin, is soo crucial to pika's game. I don't know about other Pikas, but mine is severely handicapped without it. It just becomes another thunder jolt spamming pika. QAC allows for easy aerial setups and better mindgames. I can sort of get it to work, but like you, rollerking, I can't really get 3 in a row or more consistently. One QAC diagonal can only do so much until they start anticipating it, and when I'm trying the horizontal to straight down QAC my hand eventually starts hurting from all the spasms with trying to jump cancel it into an aerial. :(

God_Mains_Pichu

Smash Rookie
------please note that I am talking about online play-----------
I agree that Pikachu is crippled without QAC (many characters are crippled online, which is why I find it to be far less competative).
I'm just saying that you are far more crippled when you mess up a QAC, which is very easy to to with online lag. With the best connection I have ever had, I had trouble doing QACs effectively because the timing of jumping is wierd. I could have QAC'd more effectively with my eyes shut because looking at the screen didn't help with timing. You have to hit jump before your QA even starts when you are online.

I'm sure you could perfect it, but is it really worth it? I'd rather spend that time perfecting something else that I can use in competative games, and online will never be as competative as normal multiplayer.. On top of that, re-learning your timing could mess with your normal QAC skill.

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
well done tagxy, very well explained. keep it up

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
the online does cripple it severely but its still possible, i managed to get a chain of 13 (but it only happened once), now i get lucky if i can get over 2 with SD, but i can QAC until someone joins my game and when the match starts when im in the waiting room,the most that was was about 40

Anther

Smash Champion
lol no play online it's fun XD... And you all should be able to QAC consistently online unless there are lag spikes. In which case you should be KOing your opponent mid-spike. No johns to that.

gallax

Smash Hero
y isnt this thread stickied?

also, i think playing online could be helpful. by not being able to use the QAC you can get you pika to be better in other areas of gameplay. learning how to win without the QAC will make you very good pika player. then put QAC in the mix...untouchable.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
I still need to master QAC, but I can beat my friends without it. I use it sometimes, but it is definitely a part of Pika's game I need to work on. I'm not so sure about it being crucial though, just extremely helpful.

krehz

Smash Ace
y isnt this thread stickied?

also, i think playing online could be helpful. by not being able to use the QAC you can get you pika to be better in other areas of gameplay. learning how to win without the QAC will make you very good pika player. then put QAC in the mix...untouchable.
That pretty much says it all right there......nice post :p

Roller

Smash Legend
I'm going to agree with this thread being stickied. HOWEVER I still think people should work on QuACing online, because although you may increase other skills without it you need to know how and when exactly to integrate it into your play.

gallax

Smash Hero
I'm going to agree with this thread being stickied. HOWEVER I still think people should work on QuACing online, because although you may increase other skills without it you need to know how and when exactly to integrate it into your play.
oh definately you need to work with it online. incorporating the QAC into your game can be quite challenging. my suggestion is to use it in every match, see what it works well with (especially with your type of play). some people will use it differently than others. but in the end the QAC is definately a must to have in your arsenal if you are to beat a good MK or marth(just examples.

gallax

Smash Hero
yes i know. that was for those who have such a bad connection or just cannot get the timing down to use the QAC. plus, are you saying that i cannot listen to what other people and have to say and be like, you know what...they are right. i try not to be stubborn.

Top Bottom