• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions about DACUS and Controller Setup

andrewlb

Smash Rookie
Basically I'm wondering how everyone positions their fingers for DACUS and what buttons they do to preform it. It seems like dash -> C-stick down -> A + ^ is the common one to do but is it possible to do while holding the controller normally?

As a tie-in/separate question, do you mod your controller at all? Is it legal to mod your controller for tournament play? What are common modifications/your personal modifications?

Thank you in advance, Andrewlb

Jonas

Smash Champion
Just use Z instead of A. Much easier. With Sheik it's a bit hard to DACUS without A though.

I'm not sure about the legality of modded controller. As far as I know, the SBR ruleset does not say anything about modded controllers, but the individual TOs may want to ban them.

andrewlb

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm playing as sheik, I guess I will just work and work and work at it until I can get it with Z?

Tophes

Smash Cadet
Characters that have a good DACUS each have a unique frame of time to cancel the dash attack and lead towards the up smash. Sheik is one of the hardest characters to perform the DACUS on a consistent basis. Using Z, from my experience, rarely gets the DACUS out since you'd either accidentally do a dash grab, or a dash attack. A in this case would be the best option since you're taking away the possibility of dash grabbing. Your only option though is to claw with your right hand to get it to work.

Most Sheik users set R to attack to get her DACUS out consistently. Same goes for certain Wario players like Fiction. You should try that - it'll make your life easier.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
op be sure to practice DACUS on different characters. It has helped me perform DACUS on sheik

iLight

Smash Lord
you can change R to attack and use that instead of A if you want for sheik. personally i claw it, but some prefer that way. And modded controllers are not allowed in tournament play, other than just changing the colors on button/outershell etc

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Set L (I prefer L, but R also works) to attack.
That way you use your left thumb on the analog, right thumb on the c-stick and left/right pointer finger on the L/R.
Custom controls make it sooooooo easier.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Set L (I prefer L, but R also works) to attack.
That way you use your left thumb on the analog, right thumb on the c-stick and left/right pointer finger on the L/R.
Custom controls make it sooooooo easier.
I use the same deal. Also have Y to special so I can UpB OoS with tap jump off. Unless you are very quick at shifting to claw position, alternate controls are the only way to do it with Sheik, as Z doesn't work for some reason.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
with sheik its so hard to time dacus with Z as grab, it has to be attack i think, i dont know if its possible with grab

i dont like changing my controls so i claw my index finger on A

dash, c-stick down, up A

i got used to it with sheik, which means with any character :p

TheMike

Smash Lord
I don't have difficulties to perform DACUS with Snake using Dash > C-Stick Down > C-Stick Up, but with the other characters that can perform it, is too dificult IMO and i see Dash > C-Stick Down > Z Up as the easiest way.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I use the same deal. Also have Y to special so I can UpB OoS with tap jump off. Unless you are very quick at shifting to claw position, alternate controls are the only way to do it with Sheik, as Z doesn't work for some reason.
Wait, what is OoS?
Are you talking about jump canceled USmash?
i got used to it with sheik, which means with any character :p
lol, I can SHDL DACUS with ease.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Summary: dash--> down cstick--> Up+R for consistency, Up+z for... using R to shield.

at the risk of killing this thread prematurely,
/thread

De4th-4ng3l

Smash Rookie
I personally find using the claw position real difficult compared to using 'R' set to attack and tap jump set to off.

It's near impossible to do it with 'Z' , and i find it surprisingly easier to do it this way. (This is how I do it with Sheik).;)

Dash attack(with C-Stick Down) > Up on control stick and IMMEDIATELY Press (and hold) R

Top Bottom