• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

questionnaire: you and SWF

beanbean

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, hope the title caught your attention. This isn't anything official, just a few questions that you may or may not answer... something I think would be interesting to know about people. I got this idea from a similar topic done a while ago. For more details, see the very bottom of this post. This is a questionnaire asking a few questions (I hope not too personal) about you and SWF. If you don't feel like answering any of these questions, just don't. Answer the ones you feel like answering.

1) What made you come to SWF (or Smash World) in the first place, and, if possible, how (some people, like me, have short memories...)? Please be as specific as you can, not something like "for smash," but rather something like "to get help on such and such..." Also, what were your first impressions/thoughts of SWF?

2) What made you register here at SWF and become an actual member, instead of just watching people talk (what made you want to participate)?

3) What made you stay at SWF after you registered?

4) Did you start coming to SWF for other reasons? (Seeing how we have a wide variety of differnt focused rooms here...) Any reason for this?

5) Have you learned anything important, or have you changed since you came here? Has SWF become more to you than what it first was?

6) Do you think you'll keep on coming here? For how long, do you think? (Please, nothing like: "until I die!"...)

7) Do you actually play SSB or SSBM (or used to)?

Hope that isn't too many... Well, the reason behind this questionnaire... we have a lot of rooms here; a general pool room to hang out, a debate room, a smash room, a tournie room, a forum game, general gaming, creative writing, anime/TV show, artwork, and web/tech room. I recently started to go to each room. Surprisingly, some members I hardly saw elsewhere seemed to be quite predominant in specific rooms (yes, even the forum game room... it sort of is common now to see a guy with 500 posts in a month or two...) They seem to never leave those rooms at all. Then, I thought about the original purpose of this forum (if I can call it that): Super Smash Bros. Melee (and before that, the original SSB). Could you believe that all the people here actually play the game? Some people, yes it's easy. But could you imagine the artists and writers at this forum actually playing smash? Personally, i find it hard to imagine that everyone here plays (or used to play) smash. I guess they later drifted off to other places... smash having lost it's appeal...

So, with that done... I'd be grateful if the people reading this would answer those questions. I hope they aren't too personal, and I think many of us would be interested to see some of the answers...

Corin

Smash Lord
I'll answer 3 and 7.
3) I stayed at SWF because there were a whole bunch of different rooms, it wasn't restricted to one topic.
7) yes.
Two questions answered.

spartacus751

Smash Journeyman
1. because i read Orgrim Doomhammers fic on another website, e-mailed him to write a sequal, and he said he was writting it here.

2) so i could sya i liked Orgrims Fics.

3) to read his fics
4) um......... fics

5)yes, it made me a better writter

6) ya, probaly till i get about 16-20, amybe earlier

7) sometimes.....

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Meh, why not, nothing better to do:

1) RumblinKC(former Member) told Mewtwo_Jedi_Saiyian(Sp?)
and I about it while we were doing something for Key Club, then I decided to come here and check out the Key Club topic, so I stayed.

2) Answer the Key Club post

3) Found more interesting stuff to do.

6) I wouldn't see why not.

7) Once or twice at a friends house.

MJS

NOT A FINGAH!
BRoomer
I can't juggle a friggin' thing.

My replies are italicized.
Originally posted by beanbean
1) What made you come to SWF (or Smash World) in the first place, and, if possible, how (some people, like me, have short memories...)? Please be as specific as you can, not something like "for smash," but rather something like "to get help on such and such..." Also, what were your first impressions/thoughts of SWF?
As Eric said, RumblinKC introduced us to SWF. It turned out to be pretty much what I expected, a popular forum.

2) What made you register here at SWF and become an actual member, instead of just watching people talk (what made you want to participate)?
I took interest in being the Lord of the Rings nerd of the forums, although I'm not the only one, of course. And I wanted to see if there were other people who shared in my unique and rare interests.

The people. I had gotten to know some of them by now, and it was fun participating in the random stupidity that still often occurs.

4) Did you start coming to SWF for other reasons? (Seeing how we have a wide variety of differnt focused rooms here...) Any reason for this?
Well, I figured, "Hey, a different variety of rooms. I can be annoying in a different variety of ways now!"

5) Have you learned anything important, or have you changed since you came here? Has SWF become more to you than what it first was?
I've learned that there are people stranger than me, and I've learned to cherish the fact that I'm not them. :chuckle: And I've learned that, contrary to common belief, not everyone on the 'net is a child molestor...or are they? :eek:

6) Do you think you'll keep on coming here? For how long, do you think? (Please, nothing like: "until I die!"...)
I do intend to continue posting as long as I can, but of course, life carries on. There's college, and after college, who knows what else. I have no idea what free time I will have, and other things like that. I know for sure I have full intent to stay at SWF until college, and I'll see what time I have then.

Yes, I play SSBM when I can at friends' houses. I do not own a Gamecube, however. I do have SSB64, though, and I play it often.

Ticadrius

Grammar Hammer
BRoomer
Re: SWF questionnaire

Well, I clicked an accidental link at another site, can't remember where, but it led me here. It looked like a fairly cool place, more mature and intelligent than most boards I'd been to (looks are deceiving ;))

I saw some topics in the Debate Hall that I felt strongly about, so I wanted to jump into those. Also, Forum Games looked kinda cool ;), and the Pool Room looked enjoyable.

Like MJS said, the people. This place really has some cool, witty, funny, great people, so I felt the need to stick around.

Well, I liked the Light House, it kept me up to date on most vid gaming news, since I stopepd subscribing to most gaming mags a few years back. Also, it gives me a chance to voice my opinion on these things, though I rarely do. Usually, I just surf that room to see what's up. I like adding my own witty flair to topics, too, so I hang here for those reasons now.

I've become looser, and less irritable since coming here, but I doubt you guys could tell that. Also, it's helped make me more outgoing and stuff like that. And of course, it's a great source of friends online. My SWF AIM Buddy List has passed my list of friends from school in length.

No, I'm leaving right now :D . Well, at least till I get to college next year, but I still plan to make visits when I get to college, so keep an eye peeled for me!

Similiar to MJS, I don't have a GCN, but with loads of friends that do, I mooch off them a lot, and usually beat them pretty bad. Currently, I'm ranked fairly high in the Knoxville area, though, so I'm proud of that. And, also like MJS, I have an N64 and SSB and play regularly.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer

Well I found Smash World with my friend Google... I don't remember what I was searching for, but when I first stumbled across the site, I was a simple lad. I don't remember when I first found the site, but there was some evidence that pointed to June 2001 or something... but I don't remember what it was.... When I finally got the guts to look at the forums (October or November was my first serious look that I recall... I remember TLGA telling everyone else to believe the pictures of clones :p) I wanted to register, as it was quite popular, but the age restriction worried me too much.

I registered once I decided to pretend I was older than 13. :p

DA PPL!!!1111 Seriously, in my largely secluded position in Melee Discussion, I found a few good friends, hereafter referred to as "newbies." Some of the current vets were noticable in MD and their presense compelled me to stay.

Heh, I also wanted to become a mod. :D

(yes, that was a serious reason I stayed, not a cheap plug)

Blah, I honestly don't remember when I found the other rooms. I was scared of the Pool Room for about a month, I believe. Uh... other than that, I think this question is asking two different things....

Not really... I now have something to do other than sit on my computer being idle... but all in all, I'm the same smartass now as I was when I first showed up.

until I die!

Uh, I'll probably be here until the end. Unless of course, I die before that.

(heh, have to get the until I die part in there)

SSB? wtf?

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer

I was at another videogame board I visited frequently and they started talking about smashboards, saying how there was so much spam and yadayada, so I thought I'ld go have a look. Hhm, I don't quite remember what I first thought of it.

I first registered sometime in January cause I thought it could be a fun place to hang out and because I wanted some other boards to go to and had a look around, but felt quite daunted cause the place was so big! So I didn't come for a while but then I was bored one time, came on, found a nice easy topic to start with and started talking!

Like the others have said, the people most likely, there are some really great members, humourous, fun, who wouldn't want to stay? ^_~ Hhm..maybe even the banners at first, because I was just starting and I liked looking at how others did theirs.

The artwork emporium, I love that room! Cause...hm, I dunno, I liked looking at computer graphics and drawings.

SWF has definetly become more to me, I dunno, maybe I have changed. Probably think a bit more now, cause I always was a bit of a bubblehead. The AE's helped with 'arty' areas and I've learnt lots of important things from there.

Oh most definetly! I love this place ^.^ and intend to keep coming for as long as I possibly can, although I can not say how much free time I"ll have as I get older, I'll still make sure I have time to pop by as often as I can.

Heh, well, I have SSBM but I haven't played it much recently, although when I first joined I did play it a lot and I do have SSB but again, I haven't touched my N64 for ages.

sharkboy013

Smash Lord
1. Well, I started to come here back in November to get a bit more information on the upcoming Melee. (Last November, not the recent one.) I kind of got hooked to the Melee Discussion that morning in school (I worked in the Library 1-2 ALL last year. Gave me free privileges to use the computer.) Then I started to make a habit of coming into the other rooms, and I've been a dedicated member since. (Obviously not dedicated enough for the forum awards. LOL.)

2. See above lecture.

3. The discussions themselves! I liked to talk about all the many strange topics, I was laid back, I didn't have many friends, but arguing and talking about things that came are fun to me. Plus I think this has quicker info than some game sites I used to hang at.

4. Light House. The gaming knowledge in there ruled! That and I liked to debate strategy in the MBR once in a while.

5. Well, not really, but this is ALWAYS the first site I come to when on the net. I learned a lot of strategies though, like to add spikes and stuff like that.

6. Couldn't tell you, I'd have to kill you. J/K. I don't really know. It depends, I like these forums better than all that I hang out at. (Gamewinners, also a 1000+ board I hang at, SoaH, AWN's boards.)

7. Darn tooting. Melee is the game of the year in my book. SSB is old to me now, I don't remember how to do anything in SSB.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
1) The whole reason i came was for the Melee. To find out info about SSB:M.

2) Oy... i dunno really, i just guess i wnted to ask questions.

3) The place is just fun.

4) Nope, soley for Melee.

5) Well, i know that this place is great for everything as well as Smash Bros.

6) Weell, technically i have left, but it's not permanent. I'm just taking a break from internet activity for a while. When i come back, i expect i'll stay until the site shuts down.

7) SSB was my most played game, i sometimes play it now. With Melee, i play it often, too.

I'll be back...

bunjiman008

BRoomer
BRoomer

Well, I was curious about SSBM, and while searching for Super Smash Brothers Melee, this site was of the first few choices. I clicked on the link and the rest is history. My first impression was of a board that would have people who wanted to talk about video games, play video games, and use video games in any way possible in their messages.

Well, I never considered being a lurker. I just registered right away.

Umm, I guess my first post. It was a short fan-fic, and I really wanted to know what people thought of it.

Umm, nope.

Have I become less n00bish? I guess so. SWF has always held a special place in my heart.

I would like to say until the forums die, or I die, but I honestly cannot say. Whether I'll post I don't know, but I'll definitely be hanging around for a while.

Uhh, I play SSB whenever I get bored, and I whip some candyass when I play SSBM (and SSB, for that matter) with my friend's copy.

Tapion

Smash Ace

My friend, who was a spammer, and long since left, told me to sign up, for a potential advertisement ring. He gave me this account actually (set it up for me or whatever). Actually, at first I thought it was the coolest forum ever. I find the place pretty chaotic now, I'll still post every 5 days or so :) I hang out in other forums more tho.

After being signed up, rather than use commercial potential, I figured I 'd come just to chat. I really didnt want any comittment from this place (ie, I really wasnt looking for more AIM/MSN contacts, I have enough, I wasnt looking to stay very long) so I just continued to hang for a while.

Hm... Im not sure. I like putting my input in discussions.

Just to chill. As I said, I prefer other forums, but I keep coming back here, there are still a few things I think are superior of this forum.

If anything, its become less important to me =/

Hmm... I arrived last February. I got bored about 6 months after. I'm really not sure how much longer I'll be here, I'll probably be an occasional voice until The End tho.

Used to, played once in the past 6 months :)

Algasir

Smash Lord

I first came here because I saw Crono12345's fic, Nintendo Jeopardy, at fanfiction.net, and he said that his original workings were here, so I came.

I wanted to tell Crono12345 how much I liked his fics, so I registered.

The other fanfics mostly, and the pokémon disscussions (back when the Pokécenter was still around

Not really, but I did find some of my best internet friends here

A little bit, if I hadn't had found this place I would have never found friends like EvilEvilBowser, KirbyMan3000, Fire Fox, Fire Bird Falco, emerald_pillow,AKdemon, anyone else I missed.

Until Gid shuts the site down probably

I used to play it all the time, but not anymore...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
This topic gets the *McFox Stamp of Approval*

Originally posted by Ticadrius
I've become looser, and less irritable since coming here, but I doubt you guys could tell that.
Of course you were irritable, you were having your wisdom teeth out a few days later! ;)

Cool topic beans. Now here we go:

I was looking for any information regarding Sonic (yes, the Hedgehog) in SSBM. I went to another forum I remember with like... 12 people, and wrote a long essay explaining why and how Sonic would be and was in Melee. After I left that site however, I forgot the name of it. It didn't occur to me to check the History at the time ;).

Well, if you've ever checked my first post (which I doubt you have), it was regarding Sonic. And because I happen to be particularly bored now, I'm going to go and find it for you. Please hold on for one moment

Aha! Got it. Here we go, I present to you, this day only, McFox's First Post!:

Originally posted by me on September 9th, 2001
:cool:

Hey everyone, I'm new here, so hi.

Anyway, the one character I would like to see the most would be Sonic.

From what i've seen on these boards, everyone is split pretty much split 50/50 on the Sonic issue, and I would personally love to see him in there.

I would love his taunt too. On the TV show, he often taps his foot and says "I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaitiiiiiiiing!!!" It would be so awesome to see that! :D:D:D

(P.S.- how do you put pictures in your signature?) :D:D:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was my post. All I have to say about it is, at least I didn't start a new topic saying I was new ;). But while I'm in this particular topic, I want to bring you one other post:

Originally posted by Metroid Killer on September 9, 2001
Ganondorf. I just have a feeling that he's in the game.
Good guess MK ;).

Hmm, around that time, all kinds of new rumors were flairing up from every which way. Unfortunately, I just missed the Big Rock thing. Soon after this, Nintendo started making the Cube Clubs. Several people had the chance to go to them, but I remember Arrow had a pen and paper he brought to the club with him to tell us about Peach, Bowser, Shiek, and the Ice Climbers. He wrote down our questions, played at the club, and then came back to the boards and posted what he found out. Great fun!

After Melee came out and the hype settled down some, Gideon created the Debate Hall. At first, I tried debates against Bee and Novowels about religion. Realizing it was a waste of my time, I quit that. Then I began making MS Paint comics for the Artwork Emporium (actually it was for something in Creative Minds, but I posted it in the AE too). That got me interested in the Artwork Emporium (Graphical Interface at the time). Then, with several crewmembers of the SWFRPG writing their own fics (CyberWolf10, Shy Guy, and Arrow), I decided to try and write one myself. Well, it turns out people liked reading it as much as I liked writing it, and since then I now spend the majority of my time on SWF in the Creative Minds room.

Never debate religion with anyone. There's no evidence to support either side, so there's really no point. SWF is definitely more to me now than it was before. When I joined, SWF was simply information about Super Smash Brothers: Melee. But now I've met a bunch of cool people on the boards, and as it happened with Ticadrius, my SWF AIM buddy list is much longer than both my school, friend, and family lists combined. And AIM chats are great fun.

Well, I am definitely sticking around for as long as possible. I love this place, and I'm staying until it's all over.

All the time, especially with my friends Jared and Jordan. That game's still as fun as it was when I bought it.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
1) What made you come to SWF (or Smash World) in the first place, and, if possible, how (some people, like me, have short memories...)?

My original SSBM hangout, GameFAQS was getting way too spammy and all the members that I knew had left so I decided to search around on google and I found Smash Boards and we've been together ever se...*sniffle*nce.

I always like participating and letting my views be known, so it's natural for me to sign up on MB's.

It had the best source of info, the members were(are) friendly....

After a while I began to drift away from "SSBM Discussion" because of the spam, and I started going to the Pool Room and the Light House regularily, and more recently the Artwork Emporium.

Well, I definately matured on the boards (as all members tend to do over time) and yes, it has become more to me then it was before, it's my most visited site. I also learned that my username makes me sound like a n00b....

until I die! Probably until my interest in games starts to waiver (yeah right) or when i'm older and have a family (slim chances of that happening, but i've got my fingers crossed) I'd say "until the members i'm closest too leave" but even though i've been here for over a year I dont really feel that i've made any friends. The closest person probably being McFox....

I still occasionaly play SSBM (never owned the original, but played it at my friends every morning before school)

On another note: :D :D :starman: 1500th Post! :starman: :D :D

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
Questionair!

1) What made you come to SWF (or Smash World) in the first place, and, if possible, how (some people, like me, have short memories...)?

Well, I was at a school when I decided to do a search for ways to unlock SSB:M characters, I ended up finding what I was looking for and this place so I said to myself "Hey these guys can help me out with my game!"

Well, when I did post my first post I was asking about how to unlock some trophy (It was never answered) then later on I got bored of the 12 year olds in the melee discussion and checked out the pool room and light house, after that I discovered my place the AE room, I then asked a member if he could scan some of my pics ([)an the enlightened) he agreed and now I'm well known around here for my art.

Well, some people were nice, plus this MB had alot more than other websites.

4)Did you start comming to SWF's for a reason? (seeing as how we have a wide variety of rooms here...) any reason for this?

Well as I said, I first posted because of smash, but then went to the pool room and light house, then explored the AE room.

5)Have you learned anything important, or have you changed since you came here? Has SWF become more to you than what it first was?

Well first off people can be both ***** and morons (Or a combo of both) and most people are guys and gals whom I'd love to meet one day! Oh and I learned that I can be really hostile to others.

I really can't say... you'll have to wait to find out ;)

I have both games and only play SSBM now, but I do also have a large variaty of games so playing smash is now a rare occasion.

Well that's it for me. :shyguy: :beezo:

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
1. I was looking for secrets for SSB on the internet to see if I had missed anything in the game. It turned out that I hadn't, but I found SSB world durinf my search.

2. I stayed to prove to the people that Samus was not below average wuss character that was just put in because she was female... I should note the fact that a lot of people thought she was a guy. Anyways, most people thought she was a low end long range support character that would always got wasted when actually getting into a brawl... I proved them all wrong.

3. The pool room discussions about life, the universe and everything. The constant Smash room discussions on spiking techniques, getting back to the platform and how Samus was a bad mutha who could take you out.

4. No, for the most, my time was spent in the smash room, with frequent trips to the pool room. I only observed the sanctuary though. Of course, times have changed...

5. I've matured a lot. I get the feeling that this is a continual proccess and I will continue to mature even when I'm eighty.

6. I'll keep coming as long as there are interesting people to talk to who know how to spell and use a puncuation mark.

7. Yes.

A

Azua

Ok...here goes:

1) Well...I was looking for any information on Melee (cuz I only knew that there was gonna be another one, nothing else..), and I came aross the Forums while searching. I actually thought that it was just a big gang of people that knew a bunch of stuff and that I probably had no chance of joining. Of course...I think about any Forum that way until I watch it for over a month.

2)Uh...well...Actually...I enjoyed watching people get b!tched out by the mods. I thought it was funny, so, therefore, I now thought it was friendly.

3)Heh...well...I was getting a load of info from Melee Discussion (false or not, I used to be very gullible.), and I met people who were nice to me. Then I found the Graphical Interface.

4) Graphical Interface. I love to draw, and I met most of my current buddies there. I also used to read things in the Pool Room alot. I like hearing the tragedies of the world. ^.^

5) I've learned that all spammers should be partially skinned and dipped in a vat of salt, stabbed with hot sporks, and then tied to the seashore with barbed-wire so the pinching crabs can eat them. Does that count? SWF has...given me a little hope for my life now. DOS,Phillip, and McFox are the main cause of this. I talk to them all the time, and they have NEVER been mean to me. SWF is my safe haven.

6)Ok. That's crap. I was gonna say 'until I die.' Dammit. I'll probably visit the boards until I'm like 20 something, if I'm not physically incapable of doing so.

7)Yep. I still play both of them. ^.^

Well...that was fun. ^.^ Yay!

Game & Watch

Smash Lord

I was starting to like SSB and started searching on the internet for SSB stuff.

Participating is better then watching IMO.

The excitment of SSBM coming out, then started chatting with SWF users.

No, not really

It kinda got me creating some misc. stuff, and to make my own SSBM site :D.

I'm actually slowing drifting away from SWF, it'll probably be like for like 6 months or something, then I'll come back, meet old friends, laugh at the moderators, etc.

Kinda hooked up with AC now, but every once in a while, trying to get the rest of the trophies.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
1) As stated earlier (though not as coherently), I read Orgrim's Fan fiction on another website, and he linked me to here so I could read it's sequel.

2) So I could post that I enjoyed his fan fiction, I guess. I don't remember why, but I wrote that down.

3) People, debates, Creative Minds, talking about lots of stuff

4) Yes, for the Creative Minds room

5) Jesus, did this place change me. I went from a bible thumping conservative to an Agnostic liberal. This place also made me more mature, type better, improve on writing, and let me think more then I do outside of it.

6) I really do not see a reason to stop

7) God no

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Holy bump, Eor. o_o" ...oh well.

1) Fantasia refered me for the Artwork Emporium. I had just started playing with Photoshop, and he told me that there were some awesome PS artists here.

2) The Official Critique Topic. See Artwork Emporium.

3) ...I didn't. Registered in '02, would post once every 6 months. I just started actually posting December '06.

4) Lately, for SSBM. It's what brought me back. Never got into it until September.

5) SWF has a sort of learning curve to it. If you have over 500 posts, and everyone doesn't hate you, you've adapted to SWF quite well.

6) I'll keep posting here until SSBM/SSBB get boring, most likely. I'm already getting bored of the PRoom...

7) Yeah, just started recently. A bit late, but hey, it's fun.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
1. Browsing the game on google when I still played it almost a year ago, found this site.

2. Decided to join since I was so excited about Brawl(not so excited anymore).

3. At first, it was the Brawl Character Discussion(not anymore). After that, I just come on this site to look at several different topics in several different rooms and sometimes post in them.

4. Pretty much same answer as above.

5. I've changed a lot since first joining, at first I came because I was so excited about Brawl and would check the Brawl rooms a lot, now I'm not excited for Brawl at all. So basically, SWF changed from the place I would come to for checking on Brawl's progress to a place I come to just to talk about random, obscure things.

6. Sure, I don't really know how long till.

7. I used to, not really anymore though(but I'll play it if a friend wants to, but it's never my idea to do so).

Sporkman

Smash Ace
McFox said:
Hey everyone, I'm new here, so hi.

Anyway, the one character I would like to see the most would be Sonic.

From what i've seen on these boards, everyone is split pretty much split 50/50 on the Sonic issue, and I would personally love to see him in there.

I would love his taunt too. On the TV show, he often taps his foot and says "I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaitiiiiiiiing!!!" It would be so awesome to see that! :D:D:D

(P.S.- how do you put pictures in your signature?) :D:D:D
The Apple has fallen far from the tree.

My cousin and his mate were starting to get into advanced smash and found this place. I think I just checked it out and thought not much more of it. Anyway I'm not one to allow name ideas pass my by and allow someone else to pick it up so I created my account just to have it really. Anyway, I checked the site out a few times, and posted in the Brawl character/level discussion getting annoyed with debate over the rumour and whether Brawl's battlefield was Pit's level. I showed them. First impressions were, to be honest, that everyone was a little sad. But in truth, I frequent another forum which rarely talks about it's actual reason for creation and I've found that with SWF, just on a much, much larger scale (the other forum has like 15 actual members).

As above, I was annoyed people constantly posting about THAT rumour and moved quickly to try and quash the debacle which was spreading where it shouldn't. Also, the level thing annoyed me.

I stayed because of what I found in the Proom and Media Metropolis. They were the areas I was more interested in. In the proom I found something that I like about a forum, it was the only place I could find a true family spirit. Everyone knows each other, Everyone hates each other. You had the mums and dads (Hiemie, Mic_128), the wiser, older brothers (Crimson King, McFox), the middle child who has resorted to humour to get through life (Eorlingas, Dodongo, Dibs, Kaos), the funny but not as experienced child who looks up to the others (Uncle Kenny, Commonyoshi, EEvisu) and the younger brother who annoys everybody with his constant whining (Pustulio, foxpower+, Pit_42). Oh, and that hot cousin you just know you shouldn't have feelings for (Azua, rabidbunny33).

4) Did you start coming to SWF for other reasons? (Seeing how we have a wide variety of different focused rooms here...) Any reason for this?

Not really, I've rarely posted outside the Proom and Media Metropolis, despite at times oft visiting certain character specific forums, I have only posted once in that area, the Link forums. Or maybe it was twice, same thread.

Don't believe anything you read in the Proom. It's all ****. Just kiddin guys. I think everyone changes to be honest, a lot of newbies join with the mind of a 6 year old, there is nothing wrong with the world, everything is innocent etc, but i think after a while the innocence is lost, the truth is released, crime & corruption prevails and a bitter approach to life is adopted. Just look at McFox's first post!

Oh I don't know, till the missus takes over I suppose. I always imagine that i'll eventually grow out of it, but if places like the Proom where you've got that 'community' thing, I think I'll be here for a while yet.

I play both. But there is a bit more of a dark secret that only about 4 members know about.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
1. Nintendo Power's Article a while back. I was a smash noob then trying to get info.
2. No reason. I felt like it. Besides, lurking is kinda creepy.
3. I have nothing better to do.
4. Pool Room.
5. I've learned I'm not as smart as I thought I was. :(
6. Until all the cool members die.
7. No. >_>

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace

I was helping my schools gamers club advertise their SSBM tournament. I found this forum and put all the information up. I decided to look around and just got hooked.

I had to so I could post the information. The pool room really made me want to participate. The people in the pool room and the intelligence (some good some bad) was what kept my attention.

Im on my computer all the time for school work. Its very easy to check the boards and sometimes I find myself neglecting my work b/c of it. I was updating the info a lot and just slowly eased into the pool room.

The pool room and debate hall are my main purpose as of now. They are what caught my attention, they are the reason I have stayed.

I learned its quite difficult debating your ideas via the internet. Emotion can be a great tool when debating and its hard to show on a monitor. All in all, I dont think I have changed much. Of course SWF has become more to me.

Ill keep coming back as long as I have a computer and this site is running.

Not so much. I either spend my time studying or on this board. There are moments when friends pile into my dorm room and we play.

This is one hell of a bump. I think you should dig more out.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
1) To find smash tornys an discuss them while improving by getting tips

2) I wanted to reply to some things an ask questions

3) It ended up being a great an helpful site

4) Nah not really

5) Yes, i place higher in tornys an have gotten alot more confident plus I've meant some great peeps

6) Prolly until I stop playing video games seriously lol

7) I play SSBM now but not SSB anymore

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
1) Because I read it in Nintendy Powah.

2) Well, at first, I just stuck around to watch people's reactions to my posts. I am always looking for some feedback on who I am (Don't say anything).

3) I found this site funny. The members are enjoyable, and the administration wasn't too tight.

4) After I discovered that Melee Disc. was for newbies, I moved on to the Debate Hall, where I mingled for a while. Then I moved into the Proom, where I went from a cool, intelligant person to who I am now.

5) Yes, and yes. On SWF, I could be someone. I made friends, lost friends, have friends (Don't say anything).

6) Do you think you'll keep on coming here? For how long, do you think? (Please, nothing like: "until I die!"...) Yes. I've been here for almost 2 years now, and plan to keep on coming (Don't say anything, unless you are Matt) until I either get banned or my computer dies. I'm trying to regain my lost popularity.

7) Yes, but not much. I come here for the Proom and the Proomers.

Matt

Banned via Administration

Like thousands of other young naive smash addicts, I thought I was the best and wanted to find people to show off my skillz. I've still never been to a real tournament, and I'm not even the best in DEKALB. First impression was that Bumble Bee Tuna is an asshat. Turns out he was sexually frustrated! And an asshat.

I never lurked. As soon as I found the place, I joined. I was eager to share my smash knowledge, which is super ironic because it wasn't until like six years later that I started to really learn the game, and even then I'm a noob.

I became friends with a lot of the people here right away, and we chatted constantly. Before long, I got on Treget's good side and got Back Room access. It's been a vital component to my mental stability.

I took to the fan fic room right away because I still had an interest in Zelda fics when I joined, but I really just came here for smash.And maybe I had a subconscious desire to fall for a girl in a foreign country and ruin the later half of my teen years.

This place has changed my life drastically. I've learned that I don't know anything, and that the only way to convince people that you know stuff is to articulate better than them. I've learned not to put all my eggs in one basket, especially if that basket has a lot of obvious holes in it. I've learned patience. I've learned humility. But most importantly, I've learned that gay jokes never cease to be funny. Unless they're from Uncle Kenny.

I'm here to stay, now that's a sure bet.
Unlike that flakey ex-Admin named Treget
What else rhymes with that except for ******?

Yeah, finally. In my many many bouts of laziness here, I finally started browsing around the Melee forums. I've learned all the little technical things about Melee, but I'm still no good. My only claim to fame is "best Yoshi in DeKalb!" Yay!

EDIT: Keep on coming?? That's what HE said! teehee

Diddyrules

Smash Apprentice
Ah, it was a glorious 5 years ago. I was absolutely obsessed with SSBM, and I found this place when searching for places relating to it.

I wanted to be part of a Smash Bros. related community, and this one looked like a good one, it's hard to remember the details since it was 5 years ago.

I enjoyed talking about the game.

Well, I had been going here at one point because I had some friends here I wanted to interact with through Personal Messages, but that's just about the only other reason I can think of.

Well, I have changed since I first came here, but it had nothing to do with this place. And if anything the Smash World Forums had become less to me than it was when I first came here as I haven't posted in years until today.

Hopefully I'll continue to come here now that I've returned. I have no estimate of how long I'll be here, but I think I'll be here at least long enough for Brawl to have been released and had a good number of conversations about it.

I used to play both, not at the same time, but I did play each of them, and I may start playing SSBM again soon...

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
omg...last post-dec 2002?!?!?!?!? how did this get revived...????
oh well...

1) i saw some sweet combo vids on youtube, namely the dbr evolution ones, and i had to learn.

2) im not one to just sit back and watch!

3) ...its a cool place, how could i not stay?

4) no. smash is #1.

5) pretty much everything non-noobish about smash. outside of smash im not that different.

6) as long as smash is around.

7) yes. only with other people, though...unless im shooting pics...

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

I was looking up how to get the last few Special Bonus Points and found this site. I thought I knew everything at the time so like an idiot I made a spam topic introducing myself in the most arrogant way possible. I recieved an infraction for it. Not exactly something I am proud of. But guess who created the new official everything thread? I think that makes up for it...

I felt like discussing my favorite game, Melee. I still do like talking about it.

Brawl Information and the Pool Room. This place is pretty funny at times. Unfortunately, it isn't that way ALL of the time.

The Pool Room, as I have said, because the members in there are somewhat cool and it is funny sometimes. Commonyoshi was my first PRoom friend. Quite an interesting character...

I learned a great deal about Smash and a became a debater so I learned a great deal of other things. As for changing, I have become less arrogant and I have gotten the strong urge to give back to the community lately. This place must have subliminal messages or I am a work alholic. I created the new official everything thread and I am organizing a major project which you can all check out in the next few days.

Definitely for a long time. I probably won't leave until Smash gets boring to me which is never. So yeah, expect me to stay here until Gid decides to pull the plug on this site.

Yes, in fact, I do. I play them both regularly. Still training. I am really good but I can stand to be better. I have been playing for five whole years.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Stop bumping topics Drab, dammit!
Well Proom topics suck currently! By bumping old threads we increase this forum's worth.

I found SWF when searching for smash, I first thought it was kinda kewl.

Forums are always fun.

It is better then the pokecommunity.
i 134rn3d h0W t0 li3k t4lk in t3h 1337sp34k. As I posted more SWF became more..bad.

I will be out eventually..... but seriously it depends on the other posters. If the posters lose"spirit" i will leave
NO! I play SSBB :p.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I discovered SWF in an issue of Nintendo Power, and then registered several months later.

I wanted to be involved with the community and "get respect with my 'awesome' Marth." *******.

Again, I like the robust community and funny posts.

I tend to lurk everywhere, but I usually post in the Pool Room, WWYP, and PokeCenter.

The quality of my posts have gradually improved, I guess.

EDIT: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=79234

Dunno. I'll most likely be here all through 2007.

I casually play both.

SSB64: Nostalgia.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

I can't remember... it was like almost 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure I registered solely because of my obsession with SSBM.

Actually I still just sit around and watch people talk... I don't post much. I don't really see much to post in.

I actually left for like a few years. I don't know what made me come back, maybe that this is one of the first forums I joined.

4) Did you start coming to SWF for other reasons? (Seeing how we have a wide variety of different focused rooms here...) Any reason for this?

I don't know.

Well, I have changed a whole lot from my first few posts here in 2003, but it wasn't due to this forum itself.

I don't know, I really don't have much of a reason to be here since I rarely find anything I'm interested in posting in.

I still play it sometimes, it's a great game... and it's greatness still won't die after over 5 years.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer

Well when I was 13 my friends and I were really into smash. It wasn't long before I came out on top of them all and everyone started to lose interest because I always won. Since I thought I was pretty good I figured I should look for some tournaments and try to meet some other people who were into the game so I could see how good I really was. (note that I was totally unaware of any form of competitive smash at the time) So yeah, various search engines and such brought me here where I found info for a local tourny. As for first impressions, I thought the site looked really nice and was well organized. Plus, it was a forum centered on my favorite game, so in my mind it really couldn't be bad. :laugh:

I registered so I could ask for more info about the tourny I had found and just to talk to the people in my area.

Well with a name like Smash World Forums I figured that this place was a goldmine of info on the game and it would be helpful in improving my game. Obviously I wasn't dissappointed. That's what I did for the most part early on. I just read character guides and startegy discussion but I didn't post much at all.

Well the community seemed really nice and I wasn't about to abandon the best Smash related site I could find. Like I said I mostly just read up in the Melee/Character discussion and strategy threads to begin with. After a little while I decided to check out some other places around the site and when I went into the forum games area I saw Drab's mafia game. At the time I had never actually played that type of mafia, only the simple party version where you just guess and stuff, but the name caught my interest so I hopped in. Ever since then that's where I spend most of my time on this forum, posting wise. Mafia, mafia and more mafia. I still do a lot of reading in the character discussion but I don't post outside of forum games often, and even there I don't play anything but mafia. XD It's a great game, you all should try it some time.

Yes. One, never think you're good at something until you've researched and learned everything there is to know. Two, Mafia is awesome. Three, a good look around a forum will always grant you atleast one cool thread worth posting in. I don't really think I've changed, nor has my view of SWF, though it was a pretty positive view to begin with.

I don't think I'll be leaving here anytime soon, especially with the impending release of Brawl. On top of that, there's always a mafia game running and I've met quite a few pleasant people. So yeah, I'm here to stay.

Of course. SSBM is what brought me here, and SSB was my favorite game in the N64 which is what got me to buy SSBM. I'm still working hard to improve my game in SSBM and I probably won't quit playing unless SSBB has everything melee has to offer and more. Even then I'm not sure if I'd quit.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord

1) I'm not really sure why. I just was watching youtube vids re-awaking my love of smash. Then I stumbled across a video by superdoodleman (SDM) hosted by E123Omega who had the link to the website(ironic that Omega is my business partner now).

2) I didn't even look at one post! I just saw the avatar and was like "I'm joining! I want a jigglypuff avatar".

3) learning advanced tech, video, and art stuff. Also the forum games.

4) two words: shadowbane graphics

5) Well I've learned advanced tech, jiggs techs, how to make banners and userbars, and how to avoid spambot's posts. Now I have customers to attend to.

6) Until I stop making banners and stop playing smash.

7) I do!!! I want brawl so bad!!! I have some vids but they are pretty n00b.

E123Omega

Smash Lord
1) What made you come to SWF (or Smash World) in the first place, and, if possible, how? Please be as specific as you can, not something like "for smash," but rather something like "to get help on such and such..." Also, what were your first impressions/thoughts of SWF?

1) I was trying to get better in Smash. And because I saw SuperDoodleMan's Wrath Of Giga Bowser and Adventure video, and I wanted to congradulate him.

2) To be able to post in the Character Specific area. I was trying to get better in Smash at the time.

3) The AE room.

4) I came here more often on how to become better in Smash and to learn how to create signatures. Now I come here everyday I can.

5) I now know how to do some of the advanced techinques, and now I know how to create signatures among other things.

6) For as long as I can.

7) I still do, but not as much as I used to when I discovered the site.

1) I'm not really sure why. I just was watching youtube vids re-awaking my love of smash. Then I stumbled across a video by superdoodleman (SDM) hosted by E123Omega who had the link to the website(ironic that Omega is my business partner now).

2) I didn't even look at one post! I just saw the avatar and was like "I'm joining! I want a jigglypuff avatar".

3) learning advanced tech, video, and art stuff. Also the forum games.

4) two words: shadowbane graphics

5) Well I've learned advanced tech, jiggs techs, how to make banners and userbars, and how to avoid spambot's posts. Now I have customers to attend to.

6) Until I stop making banners and stop playing smash.

7) I do!!! I want brawl so bad!!! I have some vids but they are pretty n00b.

Whoa that's really ironic and kinda creepy.

Top Bottom