• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

question

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
ive been playing melee with all the "i guess advance techs or what not" for about 3 years now and would like to consider myself an above average player. all *********** aside ive been playing causual for so long and never cared for tournys... i just kinda got into tournys recently cause i moved off hawaii and lost all the causual smash friends i had. no more smash fest with the best from hawaii anymore.. sigh...

how do i change into a tourny owning fiend... every tourny ive been to i havent gotten far... i get compliments on my link but never win. i catch my self constantly laughing while i spam nairs while my opponet is 150%+ 3rd match losers bracket last stock.... i look back at say wtf kill him already. ive been playing casual for so long its hard to break

advice?

randyman400

Smash Rookie
haha, same sort of problem I have, I'm so used to dragging out matches with my friends, that I do it in tourneys too (which usually results in me losing). Its almost like its so much fun you don't want to end the match, even though if you lose, you won't get to play as many matches.

I find that a relatively good way do it is to play like a jerk. Like, when your friends get you riled, I'm sure you suddenly start pressuring them harder, comboing more, edgeguarding, and just overall playing better (although be sure not to get sloppy or careless). This is not to say that edgeguarding and its ilk are characteristics of being a jerk, but it gets you playing like you're trying to win, and helps you go full force when you're so used to messign around.

Hope this helps.

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
yeah my friends back in hawaii said just play g**. i guess thats tru and all and i found my self saying sorry for useing an up b for the kill. i dont know why i think its a cheap move when no1 else does.

i had a real awesome match agains a sweet falcon but the recording got messed up and bleh... and i took it to the wire with a peach and it ended with like 20 secs left on the clock

still hates space animals

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
1) Pratice techs till they're second nature.
- That's where 75% of people stop when it comes to melee.

2) Play a lot of people. Play a wide variety of people (good, bad, aggressive, passive, different characters)
- This is how you practice the mental (notice I didnt say mindgames) of everything.

3) When you play people (in friendlies), dont always go in with the mindset of "winning", go in with the mindset of learning.
- It the scrub mentality to think you have to win every friendly you play. Eventually you'll get locked into doing the same thing time and time again, and you'll wonder why you get wrecked by the same thing.
- Try new things. Whether it's stuff you've seen other people do and make work, or just ideas you have. By doing so, you just add tactics and tools.

4) Practice what you're bad at, not what you can do in your sleep.
- When most people "practice", they sit there and just drill the stuff they can do forever and ever. If you can already do that perfectly, you're wasting time. Go practice stuff you CANT do.
i.e. if you cant get the timing down for FH n.air -> DJ N.air, dont waste your time practicing auto cancelled b.airs all day. You can already do it, and you're just slowing down the "getting better" process.

___

That's just some cliffnote stuff. If that's not enough, say something.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Don't try to avoid competition.

People hate being nervous but it actually helps them get better in the future. Being nervous means stepping out of your comfort zone expanding your vision for land (skill) to conquer. Also being nervous means theirs a road block ahead (match vs. your opponent) and you don't know if you're going to pass(win) it or not(lose). If you pass the road block: "stay hungry & aim higher." You accomplished a goal, beating your opponent, you're improving. If you lost to your opponent: find out how you lost, make a plan about it and take action.

The previous posts pretty much covers your question.

anyways, these may help.

- recording sets against a variety of players and watching them looking for mistakes so you don't repeat it in future matches.

- practise needed techskill for your chosen charcater.

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
yeah the playing with a lot of people is rely good advice and so is the nerves thing also. at the tourney i played with every single person there which helped a lot. i got better through out the day.

im a very creative player and when it comes to playing friendlies winning is the last thing on my mind. i try to be a flashy link. cool trick i try to do often i think u guys should try moonwalk off stage back air to back/neutral air use yer 2nd jump hook shot recoverey.

i think my tech game is prety solid i have no problem with that... just trying to master double stick teching thats still on my list.

im going to try to get some recordings up soon need to buy the stuff any suggestions on what i should get to record? nvm theres prolly a thread for that. put personal input is appreciated .

cool people i played with this last tourny... full metal/menthol mike, soft (from georgia)
rice, ram, drummerboi (tally) mankosuki (pensacola) some people from bama dont know their tags though

thx any more advice is always appreciated? anyone going to make another guide anytime soon? these old ones are prety outdated been here since b4 i started playing back in 2006

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
yay results are up for the last tourney i went to i got 9th lol im laughing cause im an idiot

Top Bottom