• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| Queensland Smash Meets | Meet @ Bob's house this weekend |

Status
Not open for further replies.

I LAG

Smash Lord

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
2005-2006 was the mlg era...

The top 8 usually contained some combination of PC, Ken, Chu, M2K, KDJ, Azen, Isai

Which was max 2 Marths... Falco, Fox/Sheik, IC's, Falcon

There were never 4 Marths in the top 8

Sure Marth WON most tournaments in 2005-2006 but he never completely dominated the top 8 / top 16 like MK does...

During MLG various players of exceptional skill with low tier characters placed extremely well...

Bum - DK
Dire Vulcan - G&W
King - Jiggs (back when Jiggs was under rated)
Chu - IC's

You dont see this happen often with brawl...

Also....

To summarize... Marth dominated 1st place...due to exceptional player skill

MK dominates the entire top 8's of tournaments because of how good a character he is...

And for ppl who say...but as soon as u ban meta u will ban snake..its a dangerous precedent to set... thats bs...

MK is the hardest matchup for alot of characters that to well against snake..like Rob..DDD..Falco

If you take out MK top 8s wil be much more diverse
Either way, we still didn't see 5/8 MK's in the top 8,
So no ban.

You've all read the very long, detailed spiels from myself and other people about why he shouldn't be banned, so I'll save the spam for now :)

Sirias

Smash Champion
C. Viper is technical.
Everyone else is just stupid timing.
... Although Dhalsim is impossible as well, well his challenges wtf.

Weirdest dream.
I dreamed I was like this doctor or translator for this tribe (lol) and stuff and it was all peaceful for ages until randomly we got surrounded by this other tribe (creepy, if you could see them, it was creepy) and then we had to make like a sacrifice or something but we didn't please them so they came and killed almost everyone, yay screams, yay death, yay blood - but they didn't get me and 3 other people that I managed to drag out with me, 2 random girls and this random guy, everyone was random, so random... and then we were running away and they were all shouting going: "HAHAHA WE GOT AWAY YAY!!!" and then I told them to shut up and then we kept running down this massive hill, looking over our shoulders to see if we were being followed but no one was chasing, and then out of nowhere we got to this part where there was a man wearing a Top Gear jacket (wtf? XD) and we were all cautious but then we passed him and then there were all these boats hanging off a cord or something and we tried to jump passed them to get to the other side of the river (sorry, there was a river, had to get over, didn't swim through for some unknown reason) but they were too far apart to jump across so we decided to go down the hill some more and jump over these fences and it came to a part where there was this huge barb wire fence and a prison on the other side and for some reason I got really nervous so I turned back time (as you do in dreams) and then I woke up.

... GOGO DREAM SPAM!!! <3

Edit:

Uni times. Have fun everyone in Uni. <333
Anything happening this or next weekend or so?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey guys, I have an important proposition for you guys to consider.

Weeklies

Just to clarify, when I say 'Weeklies' I mean doing tournaments every weekend, not just meeting up at DJ's place every weekend for a few hours of random friendlies like normal.

Basically, I want you guys to consider whether doing tournaments on a weekly basis is realistic or not after reading what I have to say on the prospect.

Now, basically the idea I have behind weeklies is one that will motivate players in much the same way players are motivated to go to tournaments in the first place.

The usual formula for tournaments is that you offer a pot to draw better players, which draws average level players who want a shot at playing against these better players as well. I want to apply this same strategy to smaller, weekly tournaments that are run out of a person's place.

What I'd like to see is, tournaments that happen every weekend, swapping between the Gold Coast and Brisbane where player's shouldn't expect to pay more than $5 for the day.

Basically it would be something like:
$2 Venue Fee
$2 Brawl Singles
$1 Brawl Doubles ($2 per team).

You might ask at this point why have a venue fee?

Well, this is basically to encourage players to host these tournaments. Think about it. If you host a tournament that draws even 12 people, you've made about $24, or at least more than anybody else will at the tournament by playing for the money.

Not to mention, let's say the $24 pot is split 60/30 -> $14.50/$9.50

It doesn't sound like much, but it pays for some odd or end, and is something you wouldn't normally be able to get from playing friendlies. The massive advantage is that it gets everybody together and gets them playing in tournament conditions for the money.

There are multiple reasons why I'd like to see weeklies happen, mostly to get more hosts (and to encourage that happening), and to see people more involved. It also has the potential to get people returning more often for smash. This kind of thing happens in America all over the place, and is a good way to get people to join the smash scene as a regular.

Anyway, that's my proposal. If anybody thinks they have the capacity to hold an in house smash tournament, and make a little bit of money as an incentive for doing so, please post here, or MSN me, or PM me :)

Sirias

Smash Champion
I would imagine in America more people would come, bigger money.
And money is a big factor, kthx.
Well, winning money, anyway.

I'm up for it, though, sure thang.
I wouldn't be able to host, though. :c Ksorry.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah, but I mean it all has to start off somewhere.

Automatic, a Mexican Pikachu main was telling me about how they started Weeklies in their country. First week drew about 7 people, then that number doubled, then it doubled again. If we keep hosting them, and keep telling people about them, then there's a good chance that they'll show up for them.

I'm thinking Bob's house will be a good venue, he himself knows that much already, but now I want to know who would be willing to host for money. Actually, I'm pretty sure Billy will, and he reckons the place he and Trent are going to be renting has really good public transport and what not. May well be a winner.

Now the Gold Coast is a different matter >.>
I'll probably talk to a few different people and we'll see what happens.

What people should remember is that whoever hosts doesn't even need to be a consistent, active member of the community. I'm gonna try talking to friends I have who don't necessarily participate in the community and see what they think.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Sounds good...

What game are you talking about antho??

Also

Maybe start with bi weeklies until numbers increase...

Cos I know that I wouldn't want to attend EVERY weekend and I'm sure others don't either..and at the moment if a few ppl are absent numbers would get too low

Also teams?

Also what days are you at Uni this semester?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
1. We could alternate between games or leave it to the host

2. I guess Bi-weeklies are more responsible. But I figure with Hotdog's tournaments as well, it'd end up that way anyway. Actually, considering the frequency of Scott's tournaments at the moment, I realise now that this may not even be a necessary thing.

3. I accounted for teams in what I wrote:
Basically it would be something like:
$2 Venue Fee
$2 Brawl Singles
$1 Brawl Doubles ($2 per team).
4. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
i can't attend bobs every weekend :( i need to do more uni stuff this semester.

if the drive wasn't so far i'd be happy to, but driving for an hour for 2-3 hours of smash doesnt seem worth it, thats why if i go to bobs i usually like to stay there for 5+ hours lols.

we need a good goldcoast venue to grow the goldcoast community + make goldcoast vs brisbane teams epic.

and more melee!

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
-Yeah, we'll have to sort out a good GC location >.<
-I'm happy to hold like 3 ppl for a meet, but it is a bit much for me to hold a small tourney, hmmm
-Guess we'll wait and see

Hotdog

Smash Lord
I don't think this would work very well as Australia has small numbers, but it's worth a try. Yea I'm testing out how Bi-Weekly's go swapping between Melee and Brawl every tourney. I also need to try find a new Venue near GC so the GC'ers don't have to train it down all the time. If this fails then... new plan =/

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I just talked to Scott, and it looks like what he's doing is pretty much what I've been wanting to see.
Dude, you're da bomb man.

The man gets **** done.

Alright, now we have to advertise the crap out of them.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Yea basically just spreading the word... we need to find a bigger venue though, cause this room is small as hell... or wait 6 weeks till we can finally get our room back.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I can use Fox, now I'm the best.
I can use Sheik, now I'm the best.
I can use Marth, now I'm the best.

USE ROY YOU STUPID W@NKERS!

I can use Metaknight, now I'm the best.
I can use Snake, now I'm the best.

USE IKE YOU STUPID W@NKERS!!!

Srs...

Sirias

Smash Champion
SOMETIMES you read MY posts?
Well I ALWAYS read YOUR posts.
I ALWAYS read ALL your posts.
Everyone skips my posts because they're so utterly random and pointless.
And yet YOU ALL THINK YOURS ARE SOMEHOW MORE INSIGHTFUL!?
HAH.
OH HOW IN DENIAL YOU WIGGAS CAN BE.

God... I hate being sick...
I use Mewtwo.
So I win.
Kthx.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
EVO2K9:

1st: M2K(MK)
2nd: Ally(Snake)
3rd: MikeHaze(Marth)
5th: Lain(IC's)
5th: Fiction(Wario)
7th: DEHF(Falco)
7th: SK92(Falco)

I heard you like Variety in your top 8?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Aparently Ally was playing terribly. (Better than your average superman, but still bad).
Or it was visibly obvious that he was.

Not many people have the mental stamina to keep up with M2K in a game like Brawl I guess.

Sieg

Smash Champion
EVO counting as a Smash tournament.

How many went there, 8 people? lol.

And you couldn't even make it into the top 8 Billy.

As I said in the other thread, Genesis is now biggest/most accurate for data tournament around, and a tournament one week after the biggest one in the world is fairly inaccurate due to money/travel/etc.

I'm calling your bull****.

Also I agree with Nick, mental stamina is 4 TUFF GUYZ.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Are you serious?

Brawl is ALL about mental stamina and prowess because you can't simply make up for that with technical skill. If it's not mental stamina and 'smarter' play in Brawl that makes one person better than the other, then what is?

Evo had exactly 128 entrants, with top MK's like DSF and Judge being relegated to 9th and 17th respectively. There has been a lot of talk about the EVO tournament for a while, and is the tournament I've been modellng mine after for some time as well (the starter list in particular).

The tournament was included after MLG_JV and AlphaZealot came to some agreement with Evo, but it wasn't on the official schedule (like Guilty Gear last year or the year before or something)

EDIT: Admittedly, what EVO is, is a tournament with a lot of top American players, but one distinctly lacking more good MKs

Sieg

Smash Champion
Mental stamina.

More like.

Mental.

PICK METAKNIGHT AND WIN GAME.INA.

CALLED IT.

HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR HUR.

America is bad at everything.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Michael, switch on your phone. Been trying to call you the last couple of days to chat with you. but it's always off. Or is it broken or something?

Also, am likely to be without something to do Friday.
We should do something. Maybe.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Oh, So I MIGHT be good enough to do stuff with you.

I see how it is.

I broke my other phone at the footy remember. I sat on it. Haven't bought a new one.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ahhh. lame.

Actually, I don't know if I'm working on Friday or not.
It'll be a half day either way.

You'll be at work all day though, so whatever we do, it'll probably be late.
But that's okay I guess. lol.

EDIT: Tutor didn't come to my tutorial, so I'm going home now.

Sirias

Smash Champion
You sat on your phone.
... XD
Funny ****.

Sif copy me, Rob. :C

Armada's hot, kthx, that's all I wanted to say.

MK is gay, get the FK OVER IT OMFG!!!
If you want to win then play MK.
Or Snake, seeing as Ally beat M2K with Snake, kthx.
My goddd...
Why is everyone so gay about Brawlll...
Melee is just as fkin gaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.......................

Marth, Fox, Sheik, Falco, Peach, Jiggly.
MK, Snake.
The difference is there are 2 gay characters as opposed to 6.
Not as diverse, so basically, not as many gay characters, so there are less gay characters.
Isn't that a good thing?

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Armada's hot, kthx, that's all I wanted to say.
Hahaha Kas likes em young

Marth, Fox, Sheik, Falco, Peach, Jiggly.
MK, Snake.
The difference is there are 2 gay characters as opposed to 6.
Not as diverse, so basically, not as many gay characters, so there are less gay characters.
Isn't that a good thing?
Its only good thing if those characters are banned...you are banning things without completely destroying the game

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think we should drop the MK discussion from here, only because it's technically off topic and I hate it when our threads turn to this discussion. It's very interesting discussion mind you, and it's always a good topic to debate and keep people interested, but too much of it will turn you off it. There's the rest of smashboards to debate it with people you don't even know, so you don't even have to be nice to them!

This isn't me saying one side is right and the other is wrong, it's just me saying that debating this topic in this thread is fruitless. Go find Saduhara Inui and convince him MK should be banned. That's a debate that'll keep you going.

I'm just asking you guys to keep the ban debate out of QLD threads :)
If you've got something to say, write a blog about it. That's what I do.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Some of those gay characters in melee can have bad matchups. Snake isn't all that broken, he can have matchups where he is at a disadvantage. MK doesnt have any considerably bad matchups though.

Every game has tiers, even games built for a competetive community (i.e. Street fighter). It's something that's going to happen if you make a game where players are given different skills.

I'd hardly call the melee tier list solid though, characters can outperform eachother all the time based on players skills. Chudat beats top level players with iceclimbers and he even beat cort's peach / falcon with pika. AXE beat Jman with pika. There's some amazing falcon / doc / ice climbers / ganon / samus players that you forgot to add to your list kas.

Edit: Meh ill just delete the MK stuff lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom