• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| Queensland Smash Meets | Meet @ Bob's house this weekend |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

Sirias

Smash Champion
Gah, so much stage discussion going on here, yet the title says " 'Don't Come' SRS DIS... ". Awesome. Mis-leading, much.
You know if I had this game and played it, and remembered what certain stages were/are like --(omg techno music from car in background is hot) I might be able to help you guys out with this, or rather, share my opinion on the discussion THUS FAR. However, OBVIOUSLY I don't, so until I go to a meet (possibly Ben's this Tuesday?) I'll try to... pay attention to them?
Alternatively I could just play it and leave you guys to what you're doing seeing as you're all doing well enough by yourselves. :D

Lul to spam.
Shaya do the vid nao thx.
Or give it to Zac because at least he does them. d:

WHERE THE FACK IS MY SCARF AND MY GLOVES?!!!?!?!

Sieg

Smash Champion
Why don't you just post the raw Vid, I don't care if it's edited or not.

Also for Siege middle.

Snake's F/B-throw.

So you should run away like a little girl.

Antho if you're not on MSN tonight I will come to your house and.....uhhhh.

Do something.

Very Bad.

So you'll have to do something about it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Rune:
I hope you don't feel like I'm assuming you'll take me to Redcliffe >.<
I know Chris is going and I was going to ask either you or Chris for a lift there (Obviously, since I can't drive).

In the extreme case that neither of you are going, then I'd be training it to somebody who could take me.

EDIT:

STICKY UPDATE SPREE ACROSS SMASHBOARDS WHEEEEEEEE

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Haha, it's funny. The Redcliffe meet is right smack bang when we should really be doing the first monthly.
I reckon book it for the middle of November.

Paff

Smash Journeyman
For stages:

So, it looks like so far the majority overall is in favor of moving those four stages from counter to starter. I'll re-post the compilation of opinions just for ease of reference (and I changed my mind on Brinstar):

Brinstar:
- 4 in favor (Scrubs, Arrow, Sieg, Paff)
- 1 not-against (Shaya)
- 1 opposed (l3oOkeR)
Corneria:
- 3 in favor (Scrubs, Arrow, Sieg)
- 1 not-against (l3oOkeR)
- 1 opposed (Shaya)
Frigate Orpheon:
- 4 in favor (Scrubs, Paff, Arrow, Sieg)
- 0 not-against
- 1 opposed/DIE IN REAL LIFE (l3oOkeR)
Jungle Japes:
- 3 in favor (Paff, Scrubs, l3oOkeR)
- 0 not-against
- 0 opposed

(Sieg, you didn't sound like you had any strong opinions on Japes, so I didn't put you in any category on it - if that's incorrect just let me know).

Now, these opinions generally aren't taking the stage-striking rule into account, wherein, for the first match of a set, either player may, after the first random stage is selected, choose to demand a repick, in which case the players will leave the game and start a new one, again using random select, and they may only choose to repick once.

@l3oOkeR and Shaya:
Would either of you be in favor of, or not-against, moving the stages you'd opposed to starter, taking the stage-striking system into consideration? If not, what issues do those stages have in terms of being starter that you feel the stage-striking system would not take care of?

Also, Jungle Japes seems to have no opposition so far.

@vyse:
For the monthly tournies, perhaps they could just be called Queensland Brawl Buddies 2, 3, et cetera?

Also, are you the person who's ultimately in charge of stage assignment, or is it more of a community consensus thing? If the former, would the opinions expressed in favor of moving Jungle Japes to starter, combined with the lack of opposition, be enough to convince you to move it to starter? And how about the others, granted that there is some opposition? And if not, what would you need/want before moving them to starter?

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
Umm, is it ok if we restrict the opinions involved for QLDers only?
There isn't really much point changing the qld ruleset on other state's opinions.
Having said that:

Brinstar:
-Opposed

Corneria:
-Opposed

Frigate Orpheon:
-In favor

Jungle Japes:
-In favor

Oh, and also thx to Paff for compiling these things =)

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
FUCCK YOU CHRIS I THOUGHT YOU WHERE COOL! BAN ORPHEON!

And the New name for the monthly's

Smashapalooza!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Sorry for the double postage, I got bottom paged.
---
For stages:

So, it looks like so far the majority overall is in favor of moving those four stages from counter to starter. I'll re-post the compilation of opinions just for ease of reference (and I changed my mind on Brinstar):

Brinstar:
- 4 in favor (Scrubs, Arrow, Sieg, Paff)
- 1 not-against (Shaya)
- 1 opposed (l3oOkeR)
Corneria:
- 3 in favor (Scrubs, Arrow, Sieg)
- 1 opposed (Shaya)
Frigate Orpheon:
- 4 in favor (Scrubs, Paff, Arrow, Sieg)
- 0 not-against
- 1 opposed/DIE IN REAL LIFE (l3oOkeR)
Jungle Japes:
- 3 in favor (Paff, Scrubs, l3oOkeR)
- 0 not-against
- 0 opposed

(Sieg, you didn't sound like you had any strong opinions on Japes, so I didn't put you in any category on it - if that's incorrect just let me know).
My votes are in favour for all of them.
This is Cao's logic agreeing with mine.

Now, these opinions generally aren't taking the stage-striking rule into account, wherein, for the first match of a set, either player may, after the first random stage is selected, choose to demand a repick, in which case the players will leave the game and start a new one, again using random select, and they may only choose to repick once.
That's stage cancelling. Stage Striking is a completely different thing. It involves each player taking turns to remove stages from the starter list until one stage is left. That being said, stage cancelling works well in this case. Even if people are opposed to the inclusion of certain stages to the starter list (Note, starter, not neutral), then when those stages do come up, they are free to cancel them.

@vyse:
For the monthly tournies, perhaps they could just be called Queensland Brawl Buddies 2, 3, et cetera?
Queensland Brawl Buddies was a major Australian tournament. As such, its sequel will be as well. The 'Queensland Brawl' Series will continue it's second iteration in 2009 I hope.

Also, are you the person who's ultimately in charge of stage assignment, or is it more of a community consensus thing? If the former, would the opinions expressed in favor of moving Jungle Japes to starter, combined with the lack of opposition, be enough to convince you to move it to starter? And how about the others, granted that there is some opposition? And if not, what would you need/want before moving them to starter?
As long as it's a tournament I'm running, I guess I'm in charge of giving the final yes/no on stages.

Yes, opinion and general consensus combined with lack of opposition will drive me to add them to the starter list.

vyse said:
Stage List Proposal

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes

Counter
Distant Planet
Green Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Mario Circuit
Bridge of Eldin
Shadow Moses

Banned
Skyworld
Pokémon Stadium 2
75m
Big Blue
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Stages in red are Dedede banned unless agreed upon by all players.

Even though certain stages like Delfino or Onett have walkoffs and/or walls, they are interrupted by stage elements (such as the stage changing or the cars on Onett).

Also, to create this list, I've examined all of your opinions and have considered the SBR's reasoning behind each of the stages in their list.
Btw, I also think you've been doing a great job with recapping everything going on the thread. Props Paff.

---

My opinions on the stages:

Brinstar:
This is actually the one I'm most opposed to being a starter. However, I think that's only personal preference. The layout of this stage can be considered 'annoying'. It screws up auto-cancelled aerials, and mucks up ground based characters (hint hint, me).

Though, personal preference isn't really justifiable. So I'm not entirely opposed to it. If it comes up on random select, I'll just cancel it. Easy.

Corneria:
Even though this stage is meant to be a 'counter' pick against Metaknight, Metaknight still reaps benefits from it. It's kind of a win-win situation for both parties. That being the really short blast zones to the left and right.

Frigate Orpheon:
As before with Brinstar. Whilst this stage works against certain characters, to the point of not being very fair in some aspects of its design, it's is only a matter of cancelling the stage when it comes up in random select.

Jungle Japes:
I don't know what to say about Japes : /

---

On a final note.
My sig is awesome.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Vyse, Kila, I need better photos of you guys for the Crew vids.

Also name the tournament Queensland's Ultimate New Tournament Smoosh Scene (QUNTSS) <3 <3 <3 <3 (you know you fucking love it)

It's better than Cok.

Sieg

Smash Champion
QLD's Ultra super mega pro extreme X CORE ALPHA Smash scene.

QUSMPEXCASS.

Yeah.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes

Awesome!

Anyone smashing tomorrow?

How about

Metaknight Is Broken

MIB

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
ban the jungle japes i oppose it =P

how about
Weeklybrawl
smash i mean Fight club =P
QW.. (queensland weeklies =\ )
B&W (brawl and watch... ionno =P)
SBB type W (sounds like a mecha)
SMYMoawb (Show-me-your-moves-on-a-weekly-basis)
Captain weeklies (thats more of a mascot also sounds like cereal)
You're too crap so come to weeklies (thats more of a motto)
weekly bana (bana = brawl addicts not anon)
barrack obrawla (more of a awesome name)
OOIOTC (out of ideas other than cok)

btw imma whip my captain falcon to get him up there :D

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
Just one thing on the stage cancel thing. The worst thing about that is. if you win the first match after doing that. More then likely the person your playing is just going to Counter pick it next round. So pretty much your giving away your weakness BLAH!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Just one thing on the stage cancel thing. The worst thing about that is. if you win the first match after doing that. More then likely the person your playing is just going to Counter pick it next round. So pretty much your giving away your weakness BLAH!
In addition to stage cancelling, you have stage banning as well :)

Sieg

Smash Champion
Sif be on Smashboards when Bathurst is on.

FAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL.

Paff

Smash Journeyman
So I guess vyse is adopting the change for all four stages, but I figured I may as well update the list again anyways since there's new votes, including opposition:

Brinstar:
- 5 in favor (Scrubs, Arrow, Sieg, Paff, vyse)
- 1 not-against (Shaya)
- 2 opposed (l3oOkeR, Amaterasu)
Corneria:
- 4 in favor (Scrubs, Arrow, Sieg, vyse)
- 2 opposed (Shaya, Amaterasu)
Frigate Orpheon:
- 6 in favor (Scrubs, Paff, Arrow, Sieg, Amaterasu, vyse)
- 0 not-against
- 1 opposed/"DIE IN REAL LIFE" (l3oOkeR)
Jungle Japes:
- 5 in favor (Paff, Scrubs, l3oOkeR, Amaterasu, vyse)
- 0 not-against
- 1 opposed (Arrow (?))

Personally it seems to me at this point that probably we should just use all four of these as starter. Variety and high-tier-hosing FTW.

No problem on keeping track of these things, I thought it was interesting.

Tourney name, for the Brisbane half of the monthlies: Brisbane-Oriented Original Brawl Scene (BOOBS). It'd attract lots of people, including some who've never played Smash before! Recruitment!

Also, on a completely different but semi-related note:

Custom stages exist. Unlike any impressions you might get from the vast majority of them, it is entirely possible to make them relatively straightforward, and without caves of immortality or walls or anything, without them being clones of Final Destination or Battlefield.

Of course, letting people use custom stages willy-nilly in tournaments is a really terrible idea. But if a few particular custom stages, carefully gone over and approved of by consensus/the TO, were to be allowed as counterpicks, it may have some advantages:
- it'd further increase the variety of stages available
- individual custom stages can be carefully engineered, balance-wise, and could perhaps be used to even out the characters a bit

My understanding is that the SBR considers the issues of custom stages in tournaments to be something that can, and probably should, wait for quite a long time before being seriously discussed, just because it isn't urgent. But as long as we're trying new things, I figure it wouldn't hurt to consider it, or at least discuss it.

Basically the only downside I can see is the difficulty of distribution of those stages at tournaments, but all it'd really require would be that someone provide a couple of SD cards with all of the tournament-legal custom stages on them.

I dunno, thoughts?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
My thoughts are that for a long time, Japan used only two stages in tournament Melee.
We've got a large variety of stages as it is, so let's stick to that at least for now.

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
SO vyse is the stage list now offical? And how does Stage Ban work? Just at the start of the game can i go I BAN METROID LEVELS! and Poof its done?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I say we test them at the mini-tournaments at Redcliffe II.
After that, we can gauge whether or not certain stages need to stay/leave the starter list.

For now, we'll go with all four of the voted stages.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Okay guys, Serious Discussion about Sydney.

I am definitely confirmed for this now. I plan on buying my tickets very very soon.
Here is my flight plans:

I plan on flying with Jet Star

December 5th - Friday

Depart Gold Coast:
19:40 (7:40 pm)

Arrive Sydney:
22:05 (10:05 pm)

December 8th - Monday

Depart Sydney
06:15 (6:15 am)

Arrive Gold Coast
6:40 (6:40 am)
---

Other QLD'ers should use Jetstar too:
https://jetstar.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi

It's going to cost $160 assuming that we purchase the tickets NOW.

For everybody who wants to catch the same flight as me, I'm willing to pay for your tickets when I get mine (It's quite easy to do), but we need to have a meet so you guys can pay me back.

Alternatively, if there's anybody else who wants to buy the tickets for everyone, I'm open to that as well since I don't have immediate internet buying capability.

There's also the option of using the Brisbane Airport, which is much more straightforward and easy to access via train, however, their flight scheduling is less flexible, offering only two flights on Friday the 5th and Monday the 8th.

---

Attendance List (Or banned list rofl):

Vyse
ACCELERATE
Tristan
Radiance
Azure Rune
DJ Cat
Scrubs
Sieg

Status
Not open for further replies.