• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:| Queensland Player Rankings Discussion - Brawl Ranks Updated |:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
.:|Queensland Player Rankings Discussion|:.

As promised by me since last year, I will be keeping up to date Player Rankings for this year. I've been through the data and assigned everyone points based on where they've placed in tournaments thus far this year.

So far that's only SummerSmash, but there's more tournaments to come, including the GotGames regional qualifier in a month.

The points are allocated using a simple formula.
I simply take the number of participants and reverse the order. If there was 27 entrants, the player that came first will get 27 points and so forth. This also takes into account multiple people placing the same, as you'll see from this first batch of results.

Without further adieu, here we go!

(The rest aren't updated yet!)

Melee Player Rankings:

1st Sirias: 23
2nd Syke: 22
3rd Accelerate: 21
4th Sloth: 20
5th Scrubs: 19
5th King Kong: 19
7th Gords: 17
7th Vyse: 17
9th Meteor Master: 15
9th Shaya: 15
9th Jei: 15
9th Sieg: 15
13th Azure Rune: 11
13th Ben: 11
13th Dino: 11
13th Nathan: 11
17th l3o0ker: 7
17th Dan: 7
17th Dedu: 7
17th Kyle: 7
17st DJ Cat: 7
17th Arrow: 7
17th Moose: 7

Combined Rankings:

1st Accelerate: 46
2nd Shaya: 41
3rd Jei: 38
4th Scrubs: 38
5th Meteor Master: 36
6th Gords: 32
6th Vyse: 32
8th King Kong: 30
9th Moose: 28
10th Amaterasu: 27
11th Jezmo: 24
12th Hotdogs: 23
13th Sirias: 23
14th Azure Rune: 22
14th Syke: 22
16th Sloth: 20
17th Atyeo: 19
17th Kaion: 19
17th Rocko: 19
20th Arrow: 18
20th DJ Cat: 18
20th Sieg: 18
23rd Luke: 15
23rd Yokai: 15
25th Dino: 14
26th Ben: 11
26th Ghost: 11
26th Helender: 11
26th Nathan: 11
26th PorkLord: 11
26th Tolam: 11
32nd l3o0ker: 10
33rd Dan: 7
33rd Dedu: 7
33rd Kyle: 7

Dekar289

Smash Hero
vyse you have a diddy combo vid and you're 14th in qld??

also
chris is much better at melee after intense melbourne training rite

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
It's true, my combo video is misleading. lmao.

Chris couldn't attend Melee day due to extenuating circumstances :(

EDIT:
Oh wait, I just realized that I haven't made people with equal points, equal in placement. rofl.

EDIT: Fixed

Scrubs

Smash Lord
also
chris is much better at melee after intense melbourne training rite
Not really. But QLD training will make him better...

The problem I see with this system vyse... is that what if more or less people attend a tournament...

You are saying that winning a tourney with more people is worth more...

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
... yeah i didn't even sign up for melee @_@ i am feeding points exponentially

think system is fine ~_~

i guess if its a problem could always do the points like they do in f1 races.

combined rankings should include snowboard kids, mario tennis, and bomberman.

Gords

Smash Champion
I agree with scrubs, using this method the rankings are more based on attendence rather than placing.

there has to be a better way, i will go and think about it for a bit.

EDIT: and try to facter attendence and placing, and what hapens with people not attending.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
No, I don't think I'll budge. The fact that this system favours those who attend more is the best thing about the system. It encourages regular attendance. Of course winning a tournament with more people is worth more as well.

The best feature of this system is that no matter where you place, you receive points, and by just making an effort to attend, you're putting yourself in a better position than others. This system promotes the growth and regular activity within both games.

This is not a Power Ranking.
If we wanted to decide that much, we'd be eliminating non-qld'ers and be only worrying about the top 10.

This is a reflection of player performance at tournaments. If you don't attend, then how are you supposed to prove how good you are at the game?

Also, to add onto the 'Winning a tournament with more people is worth more'. If a tournament begins to attract a lot of people, then it should then attract players who want to score the big points. If you miss out on the big points, then that's too bad.

It's like tournaments with big Pots. If a lot of people go, then the Pot's going to be bigger, meaning more people will want to attend. This system works the same way, only the Pot will be the points.

If you guys want to form a power ranking panel, we could do that too.
The two systems could run along side each other.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
More people does not necessarily mean a higher level of competition...

What if we have a tourney and 50 scrubs turn up.... the points for first will be huge regardless of the level of competition...

Addressing the attracting more people to score the big points argument considering there is no money being collected at each tournament so there is no significant prize for topping the rankings... There is no incentive to actually score the points....

I think you should only give the top 20 players points regardless of attendance.

1st = 20
20th = 1

If less than 20 people turn up then you can still use this system...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
More people does not necessarily mean a higher level of competition...

What if we have a tourney and 50 scrubs turn up.... the points for first will be huge regardless of the level of competition...
It's up to you to be there to take advantage of the higher attendance. If everybody ignores a tournament with 50 people going to attend it, then there's something wrong. Really both of the arguements being presented here are neither right nor wrong. I have chosen the method that I have so that everybody will earn points, and so that there's incentive to attend larger tournaments, creating a snowball effect, in which more people are attracted as more people choose to attend.

Again, this is not a power ranking. This is a scoring method that rewards attendance and good placing.

Addressing the attracting more people to score the big points argument considering there is no money being collected at each tournament so there is no significant prize for topping the rankings... There is no incentive to actually score the points....
The incentive is the points. What you are all playing for is the title of number 1 ranked player. To be able to say you are the most dominant player in Queensland, you must do it by consistently placing high throughout the year with regular attendance.

I think you should only give the top 20 players points regardless of attendance.

1st = 20
20th = 1

If less than 20 people turn up then you can still use this system...
Despite my own defence. That is a fair idea. And would be a good idea if not for the fact that using double elimination means also that there are multiple 5th placers, 7th placers, 9th placers, 13th placers and 17th placers, which makes points distribution awkward if we're only counting those top 20.

In fact, it wouldn't be a top 20, it'd be a top 24 at the very least.

Gords

Smash Champion
@Vyse

ok I see where your going with this, but if this is the case then i say host more tourneys and have all (except for maybe the gotgames events) tourneys in Qld count to the rankings. I know that this will probs kick me out of the runnings, but it should encourage more regular attendence. That and will be fairer for those that cant make an event if only a few tourneys counted. Having a final at the end of the year as well would be good were you could possibly award double points (or atleast 1.5x) for the top 8 for both games. And having a cash prize for the top ranked players would be nice too.

just some words for thought.

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
@Vyse

ok I see where your going with this, but if this is the case then i say host more tourneys and have all (except for maybe the gotgames events) tourneys in Qld count to the rankings. I know that this will probs kick me out of the runnings, but it should encourage more regular attendence. That and will be fairer for those that cant make an event if only a few tourneys counted. Having a final at the end of the year as well would be good were you could possibly award double points (or atleast 1.5x) for the top 8 for both games. And having a cash prize for the top ranked players would be nice too.

^^ Thats what we plain to do well the have more tourneys and have them all go towards the ranking systems

Gords

Smash Champion
Despite my own defence. That is a fair idea. And would be a good idea if not for the fact that using double elimination means also that there are multiple 5th placers, 7th placers, 9th placers, 13th placers and 17th placers, which makes points distribution awkward if we're only counting those top 20.

In fact, it wouldn't be a top 20, it'd be a top 24 at the very least.
you can deal with it like this:

for the top 20 placings
use the formulla

21 - P

where P = placing.

now i know this is just a complicated way of putting scrubs idea and your idea together.

FYI: your idea was

(A + 1) - P

where A= attendence and P = placing.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Vyse

Er, I was planning to do that. lol.
Every tournament with at least 16 people will count towards rankings.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
brawl different to melee gaiz

if you can do anything that resembles a combo in brawl and like the game enough to make a combo video about it i'd give way more credit than a melee combo vid

u c

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
you can deal with it like this:

for the top 20 placings
use the formulla

21 - P

where P = placing.

now i know this is just a complicated way of putting scrubs idea and your idea together.

FYI: your idea was

(A + 1) - P

where A= attendence and P = placing.
We still run into the same problem.
We either do players up to those who placed 13th (17 people) or placed 17th (24 people)

Gords

Smash Champion
well if total attendence is less than 24 (1-23ppl) award points to 13th place and above (16 players), and if 24 or more attend award points to 17th place and above (24 players).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
But you're winning Melee >.<

My new idea for this is to divide everyone into teams/crews of four. People will compete for points as per normal, but pool their points together as well to compete for 'top team'.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
What are you on about Nick?

Of course some teams will perform against each other. That's the whole idea. This will encourage competitive spirit and comraderie amongst players all along the order. Kinda like sports houses in High School.

If I listened to every doubt and fear, LanSmash wouldn't have happened and we would have lost a strong backer.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
LanSmash is set to get better, especially after this past one.

We're planning on getting a lot more sponsors in tow, which will drive down the entry fee and drive up the prizes we play for, but the only way that's going to happen is if we support LanSmash.

ACCELERATE

Smash Lord
Gords stfu seriously. Your Annoying everyone. Team is a good idea but it has to be something seperate compared to this.

Zac, Antho is right its getting better every time. You have to support it for it to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom